Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s most senior elected politician, Sadiq Khan, comes

13»

Comments

• Options

HJ Gold decided at 1.97. Didn't KJT jump more than that in the Heptathlon?

Yeap.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    PlatoSaid said:

Sam Freedman
    Brilliant PB from Andrew Butchart in that race to come 7th. Third fastest Brit ever after Farah and David Moorcroft. #Rio2016

Looking at the results three have been DQ'd, so he's now 4th!
  • Options
    I don't think the Kenyan learned that off YouTube....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Scott_P said:

@BBCSport: Mo Farah!

The #TeamGB London 2012 total is equalled.

#Rio2016 medal 65

Joe Joyce is guaranteed another tomorrow! https://t.co/nx5sVQyVdR

And we might pick up a bronze in the 4x400m - our women could do well in that (assuming the judges don't cheat us again)
    are brazil in that?
  • Options
    Thrak said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Freedman
    Brilliant PB from Andrew Butchart in that race to come 7th. Third fastest Brit ever after Farah and David Moorcroft. #Rio2016

Looking at the results three have been DQ'd, so he's now 4th!
    He ran brilliantly. Also from Dunblane, like Sir Andrew Murray.
  • Options

Yeap.
    wow. she should swap, not really built for throwing I don't think.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

Yeap.
    wow. she should swap, not really built for throwing I don't think.
    I am no expert at this athletics lark, but she neither has the built nor the technique to convince you she will ever throw a shot put or javelin a long way. 2 events out of 7 not being competitive seems very difficult to win.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    3 disqualified from the 5000m - including Silver and Bronze. So Team GB now gets another 4th place.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

3 disqualified from the 5000m - including Silver and Bronze. So Team GB now gets another 4th place.

Omnishambles Games strikes again...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Update in the men's 5000m, after that career best run @andybutchart91 has been moved up to 4th after a couple of DQs #Rio2016
  • Options
    lol, watching britain on film, Shark angling- apperently no cruelty to the sharks just bashed on the head with lead piping no trouble at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I am going to see what the Specsavers judging team saw in that 5km that they meant 3 had to be DQ'ed. I thought a bit of push and shove was standard.

Good job there wasn't a Brazilian in the final...everybody would have got DQed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Johnson-Thompson's heptathlon 1.98m high jump would have would have won the High Jump gold medal....won with 1.97m
  • Options
    Men's and women's high jumps these days they don't seem to get anywhere near the heights of 20 years ago...doping?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Men's and women's high jumps these days they don't seem to get anywhere near the heights of 20 years ago...doping?

Anthropogenic gravitational strengthening?
  • Options

I am going to see what the Specsavers judging team saw in that 5km that they meant 3 had to be DQ'ed. I thought a bit of push and shove was standard.

Good job there wasn't a Brazilian in the final...everybody would have got DQed.

i swear if Mo was DQed i would have gone mad.....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Women's 4x400m, WR and OR from the Soviets in 1988. Another record from "another era"?
  • Options
    Yay - Bronze!
  • Options
    Brilliant bronze there. All we need do is get the other 2 DQ'd for no apparent reason and the Gold is ours!
  • Options
    Bronze for GB in the relay!!
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Emily was a diamond.
  • Options
    GB Bronze in the relay - last 2 legs were great running. Is that 66?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    OT David Rothschild on the LA Times tracker, which has been showing a very close race.
    http://predictwise.com/blog/2016/08/uscla-times-interesting-and-exciting-but-not-too-believable/

Basically it's a single panel getting polled repeatedly, so it's probably good for picking up trends quickly.
  • Options
    Lets hope she doesn't forget to pee in the cup....
  • Options
    please dot get DQed
  • Options

Yep

And the boxing silver or gold will bring us to 67
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Natpirks: That was the medal that officially made GB the first ever nation to exceed their home medal tally at the next games. This. Is. INSANE
  • Options

Yep

The target was 48, wasn't it? Blimey.
  • Options

Yep

That has been slightly misreported...the 48 was a minimum.
  • Options

Yep

Something like that.

Taking team sports into account, 1/3 of the athletes we sent will be coming home with medals. And a lot of 4th places indicates that with some more work, we have another generation ready to step up.
  • Options
    Sam Freedman
    So GB will end these games with 67 medals and 27 or 28 golds. Most successful haul since 1908. And best at an away games. #Rio2016
  • Options
    God Denise Lewis really has a bad way of saying things.
  • Options

What did she say?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

What did she say?
    What she was trying to say (I think) was that they are a determination got them the medal....but said "well they aren't the fastest bunch of girls, but ..."

She repeatedly says really negative sounding stuff, comes across as if well if I was out there...the worst was the heptathlon.

In comparison, Johnson is genuine legend, but has a really warming manner.
  • Options

Yep

Something like that.

Taking team sports into account, 1/3 of the athletes we sent will be coming home with medals. And a lot of 4th places indicates that with some more work, we have another generation ready to step up.
    Emily Diamond looks very promising, if that 4 x 400m is anything to go by.
  • Options

She was been woeful from the outset. Very personal and bitter a lot of the time. I don't want experts to gush - but they are there to be constructive not negative. And she clearly misses being part of the team - and thinks she knows best in every single event.

I doubt she will be sacked - but she should be.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

She was been woeful from the outset. Very personal and bitter a lot of the time. I don't want experts to gush - but they are there to be constructive not negative. And she clearly misses being part of the team - and thinks she knows best in every single event.

I doubt she will be sacked - but she should be.
    The comparison to Hoy couldn't be starker. He was absolutely pumped for every Team GB gold medal, even when Kenny / Wiggins will ultimately ellipse him amazing achievements. He also had a fantastic manner of explaining the ins and outs of the various cycling events in an informative and engaging way.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What did she say?
    What she was trying to say (I think) was that they are a determination got them the medal....but said "well they aren't the fastest bunch of girls, but ..."

She repeatedly says really negative sounding stuff, comes across as if well if I was out there...the worst was the heptathlon.

In comparison, Johnson is genuine legend, but has a really warming manner.
    Whoops! Agree that Johnson is an absolute class act. He's brilliant, even when he loses his world records!

Oh crap, it's getting light outside again. One event to go tonight!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Brazil in this one so mass DQs on the cards?
  • Options

Brazil in this one so mass DQs on the cards?

that would be the final joke of this games, very fitting.
  • Options
    I suspect we are going to get at least one DQ from that race.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I can definitely see reasons to DQ at least 3-4 there ;-)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sam Freedman
    So GB will end these games with 67 medals and 27 or 28 golds. Most successful haul since 1908. And best at an away games. #Rio2016

I wonder who will hate that result more: Beijing - or Brussels?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Freedman

I don't fancy being the head of the Chinese Olympic Team tonight....I think the party might want to have a word or two.
  • Options
    Crickey, just flicked on the women's volleyball...I wouldn't fancy make a mistake in the Chinese team, their coach looks like she would eat you.
  • Options
    ABC
    JUST IN: Paul Chelimo reinstated after appeal and will now be awarded #Silver in the Men's 5000m. #USA #Rio2016 https://t.co/N4951sNbjj
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Freedman

imagine the E.U ref was held next thursday......

........it wouldn't make that much difference!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

ABC
    JUST IN: Paul Chelimo reinstated after appeal and will now be awarded #Silver in the Men's 5000m. #USA #Rio2016 https://t.co/N4951sNbjj

The original disqualifications had put the (41 year old!) American Berard Lagat into bronze. His response to that was:

I didn't know. I gave all I had. I finished and was still smiling to everybody, saying 'good job'. I wanted to go to the warm up area and cool down, and see my kids. It is hard to imagine. If you finished fourth and somebody stepped on the line once and got no advantage and you finish fourth, do you really want to say 'gosh, I won the bronze medal because a guy cheated'.

"To me, I feel like 'yes, things happen'. I guess if the rules are like that, whatever decision they want to make tonight I'm going to accept it. Then again if they tell me they gave it me by accident and take it back, no problem.

What a top class guy.
  • Options
    so only Mo won gold for GB in the athletics.....
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

ABC

The rules and judges are going to have to be changed after all of this. It is bringing athletics into further disrepute - at a time when they need to be clean.

If you can't trust the judges or rely on the rules - what is the point?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

The women's high jump world record went up by 29 centimetres from 1958 to 1987 (an average of 1cm per year). In the 29 years since 1987, it has not gone up at all.

- - - - - -
    Meanwhile, the final of the 1500 metres was really strange.... it was really slow. The first 800 metres were run at a speed of 17.0 seconds per 100 metres; the last 700 metres were run at 13.4 seconds per 100 metres. They must have been going really slow, and I don't understand why. Most of the laps in the 5000 metre final were faster than the 1500m.

• Options
    Just heard the interview with the winner of the 800m - no matter what the rules say, she will always be doubted.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Scott_P said:

@GeneralBoles: Deng Xiaoping, Sun Tzu, Confucius, Chairman Mao, Xi Jinping, Xi Jinping, can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating #Rio2016

This was my version:

@JohnLoony Xi Jinping! China! Deng Xiaoping! Mao Zedong! Qiu Bo! Your boys got one hell of a beating! Sixty-Six! Twenty-Seven Golds! #Gold #Medals

• Options
    Shameful delay to the 5000m medal ceremony - the crowds have left. Just not right for the winners of the medals to be faced with empty stands.

They certainly should not have been forced to wait until after the Relay medals had been awarded. I know there was an appeal over the disqualifications - but it is just embarrassing to see a great champion cheered on by a handful of hardcore fans.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    What does Khan know anyway?

Apart from how to win elections?
  • Options
    THE BREXIT GAMES :)
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

I wondered how long it would be before someone made that dumbass association. Step forward Sunil, right on cue.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

I wondered how long it would be before someone made that dumbass association. Step forward Sunil, right on cue.
    Do keep up, it's been made before :p
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited August 2016
    On topic - it's not exactly news that Sadiq doesn't like Jeremy. But reading his article, he only argues briefly and pretty unconvincingly that Owen will win the next election either, and then largely contradicts himself in the next paragraph. Running a single issue campaign on a popular cause like ending cuts to disability benefits is clearly not the same as leading an opposition party and winning a general election.

As ever with Labour opponents of Corbyn, what really stands out is their utter lack of any alternative to do what they all claim they want to do, namely win elections. Should they choose principled irrelevance with Corbyn, or unprincipled maybe-slightly-more-relevance with Owen Smith? Not an easy choice, but personally I'd probably opt for the former were I a Labour supporter, until a more convincing election winner came along.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

If these really are the Brexit Games, I'd be inclined to vote Remain. If all we are going to do as an independent country is p1ss our money away on publicly subsidised Bread and Circuses (a billion pounds over the last four years I understand) while so many good causes here are short of funds then maybe we do need the guiding and undemocratic hand of Brussels to get our prioities straight.

Then of course I think about the EU's priorities. A billion pounds is about what the EU has spend moving its Parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg and back for four years. So evidently wasting money is just what modern government does.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Almost all the training and development took place before the referendum, and of course we have not yet even started Brexit!.

These are our last EU games...
This discussion has been closed.