Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest WH2016 swing state polls have Clinton equalling or d

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Hard to get too upset about the honours list. Had Cameron had won the EU vote and gone of his own volition in 2018 say then nobody would have batted much of an eyelid about any of this, one or two eyebrow-raisers aside - Will Straw ffs, even if Remain had won, seems a dubious award for someone who has done virtually nothing in his political life except have a famous MP dad and fail to win a marginal seat in the 2015 election.

Nonetheless, surely the age of gongs for No 10 lackeys simply doing what they are paid to do, simply because they do it for the PM, has to come to an end?

I am for an honours system, but this for everyman and his/her dog doing their job in the PM's office is simply ridiculous, and devalues the system for everyone else.

Personally, I believe their should be no honours for civil servants or politicians, unless they've earned it in a field outside their paid job.
  • Options
    Has anybody checked that Ben Carson didn't actually get his qualifications from Trump university?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Straight talking, honest politics...

@MichaelLCrick: Corbyn statement on Shami Chakrabarti nomination as Lab peer gives no reason why his no new peers pledge was broken https://t.co/Pp06eoEw6i
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited August 2016
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Full list of Cameron resignation honours/peerages

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/resignation-honours-2016

Does the CH mean Osborne also becomes a Sir?

What about Swire and Fallon?
    No, it's just a brace of letters after his name. A sign perhaps that he still harbours ambition to resurrect his wrecked political career?
    Thanks - just seems odd that Osborne is top of the list (implying his appointment is the most senior) - yet he doesn't become a Sir whilst all the others do.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

No. Fallon/Swire will be a Sir though.
    Thanks also.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    nunu said:

Why does every samle have about 150 fewer Rebublicans, are they basing it on the last two elections? That worries me especially as the GOP got millions more votes than the Democrats during the primaries.

Simple weighting. Same modelling that has worked effectively for the most accurate of US pollsters.
  • Options
    Sky News saying that the London murderer was 19 yo Zakaria Bhulan, been in the UK since the age of 5, and a history of mental health issues.
  • Options
    After all I've done for Dave over the last few years and I don't get the GCMG that I've craved for years but that little pip squeak Will Straw gets an honour, it's a bloody outrage.

However I am delighted for our future PM, George Osborne, has become a Companion of Honour, top bloke, well deserved.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

Straight talking, honest politics...

@MichaelLCrick: Corbyn statement on Shami Chakrabarti nomination as Lab peer gives no reason why his no new peers pledge was broken https://t.co/Pp06eoEw6i

Corbyn's statement is pretty much just an edit of Chakrabarti's Wikipedia page.... quality work there
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    taffys said:

''Ha ha etc''

There's a serious point here. Chakrabati has had a serious influence on British social and political life, and will continue to do so.

Without ever having to face an election.

She will make an excellent Peer.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,566
    edited August 2016
    MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

No, it's just a brace of letters after his name. A sign perhaps that he still harbours ambition to resurrect his wrecked political career?
    Thanks - just seems odd that Osborne is top of the list (implying his appointment is the most senior) - yet he doesn't become a Sir whilst all the others do.
    Wouldn't know why, although I would guess because it's not an order of chivalry. It's fairly meaningless as distinctions go - the only other CH I can name off the top of my head is Eric Hobsbawm, and if he was happy to take it that gives you some idea of how seriously these things are taken!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

CH is more prestigious as it's a limited membership. Knighthoods are ten a penny in comparison.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Nate Silver Latest Forecasts :

Clinton 77.7 .. Trump 22.3 - Polls Only
    Clinton 72.6 .. Trump 27.4 - Polls Plus
    Clinton 91.2 .. Trump 8.8 - Nowcast

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo#now
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    I see Laura Trott has been moonlighting as an Olympic cyclist and a Cameron crony.
  • Options
    Note that Hammond wasn't Knighted - wise move, I think it would have looked bad if too many of the top Cabinet ministers were being called Sir all the time.

The only two Sirs who will be appearing on TV at all regularly are Fallon and McLoughlin so I think that's OK.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited August 2016

Sky News saying that the London murderer was 19 yo Zakaria Bhulan, been in the UK since the age of 5, and a history of mental health issues.

Known locally as Rodney? Waiting for the BBC to call him Norwegian Zack B.
  • Options

Corbyn's statement is pretty much just an edit of Chakrabarti's Wikipedia page.... quality work there

Strangely omits the anti-Semitism enquiry...
  • Options

Known locally as Rodney?
    Known locally as Zak actually.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

taffys said:

''Ha ha etc''

There's a serious point here. Chakrabati has had a serious influence on British social and political life, and will continue to do so.

LOL.

Full marks for the trolling.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Nonetheless, surely the age of gongs for No 10 lackeys simply doing what they are paid to do, simply because they do it for the PM, has to come to an end?

Well it would seem that it hasn't come to an end at all. If anything Cameron has revived it, and in spades.

It really is time we got rid of this nonsense honours system or at least stopped it for political gongs. Lords and ladies, knights, dames, and various orders of the British Empire (which no longer exists), it is a nonsense. Then the idea that being someone who helped the PM's wife choose her dresses deserves an honour is just too absurd. How about having been someone who drove the PM's car? A job for which the people were handsomely rewarded and it was actually what they were paid to do.

Bah. Aside from the Garter and a couple of other bits and bobs that are wholly within the gift of HMtQ, let us dump the whole thing.
  • Options

Clearly nothing to see here. Move along please.

If that is all there is, then why has it taken this long to release his name?

I don't like being lied to.
  • Options

How convenient that she is a Labour Party member, so she can accept...
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

taffys said:

''Ha ha etc''

LOL.

Our Brexit Secretary is a big fan of her, so much so that Andy Burnham had to apologise for smearing her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Strangely omits the anti-Semitism enquiry...
    Well as she didn't find any, why bother mentioning it?

She must have a very large rug under which she was told to sweep things.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    John_M said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

CH is more prestigious as it's a limited membership. Knighthoods are ten a penny in comparison.
    OM is the top gong.
  • Options
    Companion of Honour? Like in Firefly/Serenity?

:lol:
  • Options

Because if it was terrorist related they didn't want to tip off any potential associates.
  • Options

Known locally as Rodney?
    Known locally as Zak actually.
    Still early days I guess. I'm thinking he's just a disturbingly ill person that has been overwhelmed by the voices in his head. He may well have had some crazed idea of Islam that set him off, or be an ISIS tribute act. It doesn't matter. A tragedy for all involved, including his family.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Because if it was terrorist related they didn't want to tip off any potential associates.
    And how long do police normally take to release names in cases like this? (in reply to oxford, sorry TSE)
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    RobD said:

John_M said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

OM is the top gong.
    Doesn't George become a Sir anyway once his old man pops his clogs - hence why the CH has been bestowed?
  • Options
    John_M said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

To be a knight you have to be a member of an order of chivalry, most of which are also tightly restricted. There are 65 CHs, but only 25 members of the Order of the Garter. Admittedly, I don't think there's any limit on the number of companions to said orders.
  • Options

Known locally as Rodney? Waiting for the BBC to call him Norwegian Zack B.
    Alright, Dave?
  • Options
    @WikiGuido: This is what Shami Chakrabarti once said about "taking honours in exchange for silence" https://t.co/D1nCG9iSKc https://t.co/ewdPXH3ECy
  • Options

RobD said:

John_M said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

OM is the top gong.
    Doesn't George become a Sir anyway once his old man pops his clogs - hence why the CH has been bestowed?
    Being a double-knight is surely better? :D
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

After all I've done for Dave over the last few years and I don't get the GCMG that I've craved for years but that little pip squeak Will Straw gets an honour, it's a bloody outrage.

However I am delighted for our future PM, George Osborne, has become a Companion of Honour, top bloke, well deserved.

That is very naughty trolling, young Darth Eagles. However, I shall not bite.
  • Options
    RobD said:

And how long do police normally take to release names in cases like this? (in reply to oxford, sorry TSE)
    Depends on how long their initial investigation takes.
  • Options

I don't buy that. They were happy to talk about the possibility of terrorist connections earlier.

If it was just a mental health issue, sending out loads of armed officers onto the streets today would not have been the appropriate response.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MP_SE said:

taffys said:

''Ha ha etc''

LOL.

I have always had a soft spot for Shami with her doe like eyes and dulcet tones.

It will also be good to have someone to speak up for civil liberties in the Lords. I mistrust the PM on the issue, though David Davies will hopefully put her straight.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

John_M said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

To be a knight you have to be a member of an order of chivalry, most of which are also tightly restricted. There are 65 CHs, but only 25 members of the Order of the Garter. Admittedly, I don't think there's any limit on the number of companions to said orders.
    My father-in-law was a knight. It's as close as my family's ever got to the gentry :).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    pbr2013 said:

DfID has given £27 million to a charity whose lead organiser in Gaza has just been arrested for funnelling 60% of his budget to Hamas. World Vision’s Mohammed El-Halabi was seized in an operation by Israeli intelligence and is accused of moving “tens of millions” of aid money to Hamas’ military wing. A Hamas member, Halabi allegedly “infiltrated” World Vision in 2005 with the explicit intention to steal money and funnel it to fighters. He gave £5.5 million every year to the terror group – including 40% of the charity’s civilian project fund. World Vision is funded by the British taxpayer through DfiD’s aid programme

http://order-order.com/2016/08/04/dfid-funding-hamas/

Wonder what Jezza thinks of this?

More to the point what does Justine think about it?
    IIRC, my well-regarded Conservative predecessor Jim Lester (we found we didn't disagree on very much and both fought the campaign only on national issues) was a very active supporter of World Vision. I don't think an entire organisation can be blamed for one employee being accused (not yet convicted) of wrongdoing, although if he is convicted they should at least be expected to review their compliance checks to see how it could happen.
  • Options

I don't buy that. They were happy to talk about the possibility of terrorist connections earlier.

If it was just a mental health issue, sending out loads of armed officers onto the streets today would not have been the appropriate response.
    Probably because they had to rule out the possibility it was terrorist related?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

There could in this instance be an genuine explanation that the authorities did initially think it was a terrorist attack (it seems they briefed the media it was, as early on the Mail and CNN were claiming it was based upon source and there was a definite media black out for a number of hours, in comparison to the other multiple stabbing that evening).

Report of Muslim stabbing tourists and then just standing around waiting to be shot screams copy cat of stuff in Germany.

Perhaps, in this case, they have found it is just a nutter.

As stated earlier the problem is inconsistency and half truths, which leads to mistrust. "Two Men" doing a bit of WWE with a squaddie on a run eventually turns into abduction by North African men...there they must have known immediately what it was as the witness was there to give them the account.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    MikeL said:

House of Lords State of the Parties:

Today: Con 243, Lab 209, LD 105, Crossbench 173, Others 67 (Total = 797)

Cameron appointments: Con 13, Lab 1, Crossbench 2 (Total = 16)

So post appointments: Con 256, Lab 210, LD 105, Crossbench 175, Others 67 (Total = 813)

Cheers Mr. L - very useful.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Probably because they had to rule out the possibility it was terrorist related?
    To be honest, every time there is a crime like this, people are automatically going to think it's Islamic related. We need to remember that not every Muslim murderer will be a terrorist.
  • Options

MikeL said:

House of Lords State of the Parties:

Today: Con 243, Lab 209, LD 105, Crossbench 173, Others 67 (Total = 797)

Cameron appointments: Con 13, Lab 1, Crossbench 2 (Total = 16)

So post appointments: Con 256, Lab 210, LD 105, Crossbench 175, Others 67 (Total = 813)

Cheers Mr. L - very useful.
    LD attrition not at a satisfactory pace... :p
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Hey @TSE - hao about using "Last trump for Donald" at some point when then moment calls.

Or Clinton Trumps Donald?

• Options
    @dhothersall: Another promising career destroyed by Corbyn: Shami Chakrabarti. Allowed herself to be used and now has nowhere to go. Very sad.
  • Options
    This is very interesting in its own right:

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/761260585740894208
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    ydoethur said:

John_M said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

No you don't, there's Knights Bachelor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Bachelor
  • Options
    Charles said:

Hey @TSE - hao about using "Last trump for Donald" at some point when then moment calls.

Or Clinton Trumps Donald?

I like that.

I have planned Trump leaves a bad stench and Trump is odious as well.
  • Options
    @carlgardner: The can watch tonight's Labour leadership debate in Cardiff, live, here: https://t.co/0ezPMxWLC6
  • Options
    Linkie to the rest of James Morris's poll. Good stuff in there.

https://gqrr.app.box.com/s/8fryc6auj1y9x3f5syp6hrwqep2xz45l
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@carlgardner: The can watch tonight's Labour leadership debate in Cardiff, live, here: https://t.co/0ezPMxWLC6

Given that I didn't sleep last night, that might be very useful. I wonder how often Smith will be booed.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Linkie to the rest of James Morris's poll. Good stuff in there.

https://gqrr.app.box.com/s/8fryc6auj1y9x3f5syp6hrwqep2xz45l

Nice.. thanks for the link.
  • Options
    @OliverCooper: The @BoardOfDeputies of British Jews calls Labour giving Chakrabarti a peerage a "whitewash for peerages scandal". https://t.co/oFVSxYQzCC

Only Corbyn could make honouring a human rights lawyer sleazy...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I would rather stick pins in my eyes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,549

I think he deserves it for the self restraint he has shown in the last 3 weeks alone.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260
    Aaron Banks described described Vote Leave’s Dominic Cummings and Matthew Elliot as “two of the nastiest individuals I have ever had the misfortune to meet”, and that he “wouldn’t put them in charge of the local sweet shop”.

Cameron's Madame Tussauds waxwork was put into storage yesterday
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/londoners-diary-now-oakeshott-gets-stuck-into-all-things-brexit-a3311836.html
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: The @BoardOfDeputies of British Jews calls Labour giving Chakrabarti a peerage a "whitewash for peerages scandal". https://t.co/oFVSxYQzCC

Waiting for calls of RACIST from the Moamentum crowd over that tweet.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Even C2DE youngsters voted Remain (just less so than ABC1).

And I bet were even less likely to turnout.
  • Options
    @owenjbennett: Amazing how even though Cameron's honours list is getting a kicking, Corbyn has managed to focus attention on him. That's real leadership
  • Options
    Just turned on the debate for the LOLs...it is like that Harry Enfield sketch of QT, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories....
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

No you don't, there's Knights Bachelor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Bachelor
    Osborne would perhaps not however have been thrilled with a title that given his father's baronetcy would have been temporary and meaningless. An order gives him something to hang on to for life. However, this does seem an odd choice (for the odd chancellor).

It is late in Jerusalem and I am off to bed. Good night all.
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: Owen Smith getting heckled as he talks about Labour being a disunited party - "Withdraw then!"
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,404

You've had numerous OMGs for your puns, be content.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

She ceased to be a lawyer many, many years ago. She became a campaigner - and thus part of the political establishment.

And her decision to accept this peerage is what makes her sleazy. If she had integrity, she would have refused - or at least asked for a delay of a couple of years.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

Though even young C2DEs voted Remain by a 7% margin, pensioners voted strongly Leave, it was C2DE middle aged voters who won it for Leave
  • Options
    Is this a debate or a panto? The crowd reactions are more like the later than the former.
  • Options

Just turned on the debate for the LOLs...it is like that Harry Enfield sketch of QT, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories, the Tories....

I assume they are taking about the Blairites? :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

We are all Tories now....
  • Options

You've had numerous OMGs for your puns, be content.
    Like.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Same thing. Blairite <-> Tory.
  • Options
    The slogan behind the candidates is interesting....

"Choose Labour's next Prime Minister"

Are both candidates thinking about hanging about until 2030?
  • Options
    Oh dear

@DPJHodges: Board of Deputies: "This 'whitewash for peerages' is a scandal that surely raises serious questions about the integrity of Ms Chakrabarti".
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear

@DPJHodges: Board of Deputies: "This 'whitewash for peerages' is a scandal that surely raises serious questions about the integrity of Ms Chakrabarti".

There is a job for Jezza in PR..not getting good PR, but as the fall guy to distract from the real shit storm ala Thick of It with the defence contract vs "the piss" woman.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,605
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Owen Smith getting heckled as he talks about Labour being a disunited party - "Withdraw then!"

Is this live on tv somewhere?
  • Options
    @MrTCHarris: “How will you get the support of your MPs?”

“I have a mandate-…”

“But how will you-…?”

“MANDATE!”

#LabourLeadership
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,605

RobD said:

:+1:
  • Options

Scott_P said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/04/watch-live-jeremy-corbyn-goes-head-to-head-with-rival-owen-smith/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

From one of Scott's earlier posts:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Owen Smith is coming off as utter crap. And Jezza is doing the angry / disappointed teacher routine to him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/IpsosMORI/status/761264229949124608

How about asking if they should offer "fair" terms.
  • Options
    agingjbagingjb Posts: 76
    Since the CH is, at least in theory, in the personal gift of the Queen, I cannot see what it is doing in a resignation honours list.
  • Options

Owen Smith is coming off as utter crap.

OMG I can see it now.. OICIPM?
  • Options
    agingjb said:

Since the CH is, at least in theory, in the personal gift of the Queen, I cannot see what it is doing in a resignation honours list.

I think OM is the one in her personal gift.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The streamer has stopped steaming.

:(
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Its on the Telegraph website.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Labour Party, 1900 - 2016.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The French would still demand unfair terms even then, as the poll confirms they are still our oldest enemy and hate us more than any other major nation in Europe or elsewhere
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    RobD said:

Surprised Nick Clegg is not on the honours list. I doubt Samantha would have serviced Dave the way Nick did.

Who knows, he could have refused!
    Sounds like the excuse of a young lady who is generous with her favours nine months after the event.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

RobD said:

:+1:
    je suis tory
  • Options
    @chrisdeerin: live stream of the Labour leadership debate has crashed - probably killed itself over the weapons-grade muppetry on display in the audience
  • Options
    @lbcbreaking: The Home Secretary Amber Rudd says Dame Lowell Goddard has resigned as head of the Indepenent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The French would still demand unfair terms even then, as the poll confirms they are still our oldest enemy and hate us more than any other major nation in Europe or elsewhere
    So, no discussion on the Treaty of Troyes then? Disappointing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@lbcbreaking: The Home Secretary Amber Rudd says Dame Lowell Goddard has resigned as head of the Indepenent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.

Oh dear...where are they going to find a suitable replacement? Last time they had to go half way around the world. Where next, Mars?
  • Options
    It's on the BBC news channel
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How many chairs is this inquiry going to have.
This discussion has been closed.