Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest WH2016 swing state polls have Clinton equalling or d

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

I think the travel time is valid. If you are dicking around at stupid o' clock while also messing about getting from south of London to Luton (basically spending more time than the actual flight) to save a few quid it doesn't really work out.

Yes and a lot of the time it is a false economy, once one adds in the cost of transportation to and from the airport the difference between BA and Easyjet is normally quite small. What really put me off Easyjet was coming back from Zurich on the late flight which was then delayed, huge queue ar Gatwick for passport control and I missed the last train. Uber didn't exist then so I ended up booking into the airport hotel. To save £60 on the flight I spent £20 on the train and £90 on a hotel!
    Gatwick Express runs 24 hours, doesn't it?
    Doesn't look like it.
    I checked. GEX doesn't but Southern does.
    It has a late finish and early start, but dumps you in Victoria. The almost 24h service to London Bridge and St Pancras is relatively recent, it didn't exist back then anyway.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think the travel time is valid. If you are dicking around at stupid o' clock while also messing about getting from south of London to Luton (basically spending more time than the actual flight) to save a few quid it doesn't really work out.

Yes and a lot of the time it is a false economy, once one adds in the cost of transportation to and from the airport the difference between BA and Easyjet is normally quite small. What really put me off Easyjet was coming back from Zurich on the late flight which was then delayed, huge queue ar Gatwick for passport control and I missed the last train. Uber didn't exist then so I ended up booking into the airport hotel. To save £60 on the flight I spent £20 on the train and £90 on a hotel!
    I lived in north London at the time, Victoria was not much better than Gatwick.
    Thameslink runs 24 hours too. Though it might not have done then, depends how many years ago.

The thing I find with Easyjet is the morning flights are too early unless you live very near so you have to stay over. But if you book far enough in advance the Premier Inn on site is cheap and fine.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,480
    edited August 2016
    I've done this quiz on What % Blairite Are You?

Turns out I'm 89% Blairite

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/what-percent-blairite-are-you
  • Options
    Today's date is

2 to the power 2/2 to the power 3/2 to the power 4
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Only 79%, probably as I'm a Brexiteer and proud of it.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,975
    tlg86 said:

This is going to be either 1964 all over again (I hope)

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

How did that work out for LBJ?
    Better than it did for Goldwater
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I struggled with a few of the sillier questions but I got 67% FWIW
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472

Today's date is

It's 16 AD?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,488
    runnymede said:

DfID has given £27 million to a charity whose lead organiser in Gaza has just been arrested for funnelling 60% of his budget to Hamas. World Vision’s Mohammed El-Halabi was seized in an operation by Israeli intelligence and is accused of moving “tens of millions” of aid money to Hamas’ military wing. A Hamas member, Halabi allegedly “infiltrated” World Vision in 2005 with the explicit intention to steal money and funnel it to fighters. He gave £5.5 million every year to the terror group – including 40% of the charity’s civilian project fund. World Vision is funded by the British taxpayer through DfiD’s aid programme

http://order-order.com/2016/08/04/dfid-funding-hamas/

Wonder what Jezza thinks of this?

Here's where the Brexit dividend could be really big now we have got rid of the guilt-merchants like Cameron
    You noticed any mention of teh latest bunch of zealots mentioning they were going to do anything about it. They prefer to fund terrorists than help poor in this country.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

Massive landslide.

I've always rated LBJ as a truly great President (Vietnam apart)
    I was thinking more about the four years to 1968. What was the chant "hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"

I'm sure Hillary won't invade any countries though....
    Didn't have you down as a pot smoking hippy lefty.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    edited August 2016

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I lived in north London at the time, Victoria was not much better than Gatwick.
    Thameslink runs 24 hours too. Though it might not have done then, depends how many years ago.

The thing I find with Easyjet is the morning flights are too early unless you live very near so you have to stay over. But if you book far enough in advance the Premier Inn on site is cheap and fine.
    Few years ago, I had to go state side for a month (last minute thing) and got booked on the first one out of Gatwick. Then I realised I couldn't sodding get their without a) parking the car for a million quid for the month, b) train / hotel (but as late minute was going to cost arm and a leg or c) doing overnight pleb "express" i.e. the bus.

Tight ass me went with the bus option, zigzagging across the country from crappy bus station to crappy bus station, regretting every minute of it...and that was before doing that having a 10hr flight.

Never again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

I'm not going to deny that - were I on 4,200 TPs a month before the end of my membership year, and should I have a few days with nothing to do... - I might consider such a run.

If only so I could hang out with @Charles in the Concorde Room.

And I thought I was bad when I was trying to get the Black American Express charge card
    Centurion criteria are pretty tough I think.
    I lost all interest when I found out what the annual fee and initiation fee was.

I'm happy with my black Barclaycard and my Tesco clubcard credit card.
    Get the BA black card, I have collected more Avios than I thought possible. Great for club to first upgrades on long haul.
    I very rarely fly with BA, cannot stand them, shockingly bad experiences with them in the past.

Much prefer to fly with Virgin or with one of the Middle Eastern lot
    Virgin used to be excellent for business class. These days, the BA product is much improved, and IMHO is better. Emirates is very good, their business class makes excellent use of space, and you really feel separate from your neighbour.

Flew biz to Toronto with BA yesterday. It's fine, but there's definitely been a decline in the offering over recent years. To Asia it's better as the competition is much greater. US and Air Canada are so dire BA can basically offer what they like.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MTimT said:

89% Blairite aussi. Probably because I thought Iraq was right beforehand and a giant clusterfuck afterwards.
  • Options

All 11 Russian boxers and one golfer who qualified for the Rio Olympics have been cleared to play at the Games.

I do wonder what reaction the Russian team is going to get tomorrow. I would just greet them with silence. But I suspect booing will occur.
    They swap their samples our lot just don't give them , but are seen as better, funny old world
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,081
    I got 63% Blairite. I might have called the pillow fight question wrong.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    tlg86 said:

Today's date is

It's 16 AD?
    The year is 2 to the power 11 less 2 to the power 5
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472
    OllyT said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

Massive landslide.

I was thinking more about the four years to 1968. What was the chant "hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"

I was trying to wind up TSE - it rarely works. It's funny, that line is one of the few things I remember from my history lessons at school.

Had he run in 1968, would LBJ have been reelected?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,395

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

I'm not going to deny that - were I on 4,200 TPs a month before the end of my membership year, and should I have a few days with nothing to do... - I might consider such a run.

And I thought I was bad when I was trying to get the Black American Express charge card
    I lost all interest when I found out what the annual fee and initiation fee was.

Get the BA black card, I have collected more Avios than I thought possible. Great for club to first upgrades on long haul.
    I very rarely fly with BA, cannot stand them, shockingly bad experiences with them in the past.

Virgin used to be excellent for business class. These days, the BA product is much improved, and IMHO is better. Emirates is very good, their business class makes excellent use of space, and you really feel separate from your neighbour.

Flew biz to Toronto with BA yesterday. It's fine, but there's definitely been a decline in the offering over recent years. To Asia it's better as the competition is much greater. US and Air Canada are so dire BA can basically offer what they like.

I'm going to NYC in a month, I checked the reviews for Virgin and BA, but there are just too many it's surprisingly uninformative. Four hundred people give each zero, another four hundred give that 5 out of 5.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited August 2016

Today's date is

4/8/16

Clever.

But it looks like 2 to the power of 2/2 (i.e. 1)

and 3/2 (i.e. 1.5) to the power of 4.

Confusing.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Today's date is

It's 16 AD?
    It's 108 After Ford.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Brussels finds a long forgotten credit card statement down the back of the sofa.

"Britain owes the European Union tens of billions of euros that Brussels will insist is paid out before the country leaves the 28-nation bloc, sources in Brussels have told Handelsblatt’s sister publication WirtschaftsWoche.

Britain is hardly the only country with outstanding payments. The European Union has for years been moving around a debt mountain totaling more than €200 billion, known as “Reste à liquider” (RAL). A high-ranking E.U. official said Britain’s portion amounts to €25 billion."

https://global.handelsblatt.com/breaking/exclusive-britain-has-a-e25-billion-e-u-bill-outstanding

That £350m a week's going to be spread thinner than the Flora on a supermodel's Ryvita.
    Ha Ha Ha , they will be pariah's I tell you , who would lend money to welchers.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,101

68% for me, surprisingly. Must be Iraq. I never thought that was going turn out well. Apart from Iraq I rated Blair quite highly. A big "apart from", I guess.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    33% Blairite, I'm pleased to say.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

I'm going to NYC in a month, I checked the reviews for Virgin and BA, but there are just too many it's surprisingly uninformative. Four hundred people give each zero, another four hundred give that 5 out of 5.

What do people who don't work for either airline give?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Toms said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Off topic I really despair at the action of the BoE today. The idea that such steps boost confidence is imbecilic. It smacks of panic.

My colleague makes an excellent case that reducing interest rates to negligible amounts and engaging in excessive QE actually has the opposite of the desired effect by damaging the profitability of the banks. (In other words, you lower interest rates to encourage consumption and discourage deleveraging. But if banks become unprofitable, they shrink their balance sheets, and that reduces the availability of loans to businesses and consumers.)
    We must do something. This is something, therefore we should do this.
    Yes. We should do something to try to counter the something else we did.
    Sure, please tell me how the rate cut and extra QE will help?
    Go on why don't you enlighten us to why it will be bad, give us a laugh.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069
    John_M said:

MTimT said:

89% Blairite aussi. Probably because I thought Iraq was right beforehand and a giant clusterfuck afterwards.
    35% for me.

Most of the answers there wasn't a correct answer so I picked the least offensive.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

For absolute knobheads with inferiority complexes who need something to make them feel like big shots instead of the weedly little runts they really are
  • Options
    Something I missed earlier. Surprised to see BoE forecasting +0.1 for Q3. That seems optimistic.
  • Options

Most of the answers there wasn't a correct answer so I picked the least offensive.

Has there ever been a better definition of Blairism?
  • Options

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

I'd love to be edgy and radical. Sadly, I'm boring, centrist and a total Wet.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

As much a concern as the airline is which of the 3 NY/NJ airports you are getting flown into.

Depending on what you are going to NY, you can waste a lot of time flying into the wrong one.
  • Options
    JackW said:
    It's a testament to how terrible Clinton is that Trump is even that close.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

What do people who don't work for either airline give?

Both very good. Virgin maybe better on the checkin if you have oversized bag or some complication . Better food on ba and as much booze as you want within reason
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Brussels finds a long forgotten credit card statement down the back of the sofa.

"Britain owes the European Union tens of billions of euros that Brussels will insist is paid out before the country leaves the 28-nation bloc, sources in Brussels have told Handelsblatt’s sister publication WirtschaftsWoche.

Britain is hardly the only country with outstanding payments. The European Union has for years been moving around a debt mountain totaling more than €200 billion, known as “Reste à liquider” (RAL). A high-ranking E.U. official said Britain’s portion amounts to €25 billion."

https://global.handelsblatt.com/breaking/exclusive-britain-has-a-e25-billion-e-u-bill-outstanding

So Britain has been accumulating €25 billion of hidden liabilities whilst a member of the EU.

We have news for the EU - we won't be paying for hidden liabilities and once we have left we won't be accruing any more either.
    How does it go again?
    If you walk away from your share of the debt that you helped incur, you'll become an international pariah. ©Project Fear I
    Yes, remind us your view on that argument won't you? You know, back in your anti-establishment days?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,084
    92%
  • Options

Has there ever been a better definition of Blairism?
    I suppose not, though offensive to me isn't the same as offensive to the average Blairite I suspect.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    John_M said:

It's a testament to tribalism.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

The trouble with centrism is that you're entirely defined by the two opposing sides. Historically, centrism is meaningless. Centrist Nazis. Centrist Communists. Centrist post-war consensus-ites. Centrist French revolutionaries. Centrist supporters of aristocratic Government in the age of Lord Melbourne. I don't see myself as radical, I see myself as commonsensical. I'm not going to stop believing what I believe because of political ebbs and flows. Why on earth would I?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    Ali getting spanked around it seems..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,084

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

The trouble with centrism is that you're entirely defined by the two opposing sides. Historically, centrism is meaningless. Centrist Nazis. Centrist Communists. Centrist post-war consensus-ites. Centrist French revolutionaries. Centrist supporters of aristocratic Government in the age of Lord Melbourne. I don't see myself as radical, I see myself as commonsensical. I'm not going to stop believing what I believe because of political ebbs and flows. Why on earth would I?
    You can't have a right without a left. And vice versa.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Ali getting spanked around it seems..

He is a good part time bowler....but he isn't a world class spinner. Problem is we don't really have anybody else. The selectors clearly think Rashid isn't good enough for test cricket and nobody else is really in the frame.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,114
    Afternoon all :)

I still see a few on here are treating every election fought anywhere in the world as an extension of the EU Referendum and there are apparently millions of "silent Trumpers" ready to come out and vote in November.

Really - I suppose there are some here who support the "Right" candidate under all and any circumstances. I hope HRC wins 531-7 (Trump can have Oklahoma).

Airlines - Virgin were really good before the recession. We flew both Premium Economy and Upper to Vegas in 2003-7 on Virgin and every flight was a joy. After 2008, Virgin cut back on staff and amenities and lost the plot.

Interest Rates - so it's going to be more financial methadone to keep the economy moving. Wholly unnecessary of course - there's evidence the initial shock has been limited and confidence is returning - the current PMI numbers and downward growth revisions aren't welcome but a forecast isn't the same as reality.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

I don't really believe in right and left.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

For absolute knobheads with inferiority complexes who need something to make them feel like big shots instead of the weedly little runts they really are
    Yeah. I should have become a Scot Nat instead of chasing the Centurion card.
  • Options
    WICKET
    Aslam run out Vince 82
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

OllyT said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

Massive landslide.

I was trying to wind up TSE - it rarely works. It's funny, that line is one of the few things I remember from my history lessons at school.

Had he run in 1968, would LBJ have been reelected?
    Toss up, would have given Nixon a better run for his money, but then again I thought Humphrey was a pretty decent guy so what do I know!
  • Options
    Michael Crick

Gambling Commission tell me they and Ukip are investigating suspicious betting relating to Ukip leadership election
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

You make a strong point, I am duly punished for intellectual laziness.

I have a managerial view of politics and am automatically suspicious of sacred cows (e.g. the NHS). My commercial background means I'm interested in pragmatic solutions. I try not to get emotionally invested in projects. As I say, dull :).
  • Options
    I do wonder about people in this day and age when an incident occurs, they pull out their mobile phone and film it. Putting aside seems a bit sick to film somebody who has been murdered, but secondly if there is a nut job (and potentially more on the loose) the last thing I am thinking about is getting a good picture for the old Instagram.
  • Options

Michael Crick

Gambling Commission tell me they and Ukip are investigating suspicious betting relating to Ukip leadership election

We might actually get some useful guidance on what "insider trading" standards actually apply to gamblers.
  • Options

I do wonder about people in this day and age when an incident occurs, they pull out their mobile phone and film it. Putting aside seems a bit sick to film somebody who has been murdered, but secondly if there is a nut job (and potentially more on the loose) the last thing I am thinking about is getting a good picture for the old Instagram.

Aren't most people recording incidents to pass as evidence to the police ?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Michael Crick

Plenty of insiders knew of Woolfe’s exclusion from the ballot before the initial announcement.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

Yet more Blairite thinking. ;)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

Touched a nerve and I was not even talking about you. You make a better nasty Tory, you need a pair to be a Scottish Nationalist.
    Best you and max stick to boasting about whose credit card gives them the biggest willy.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    It's informative to see just how many policy areas Labour have where Corbyn has not convinced the majority of the Labour 2015 vote that he has the answers.

Asylum, immigration, law and order, the economy and Brexit.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Aren't most people recording incidents to pass as evidence to the police ?
    I would love to think that is some misguided thought like that, but I really don't think so. Also, I think the plod are more than capable of capturing a crime scene like in Nice or here in London.

My immediate thought would be how can I get somewhere safe asap.
  • Options
    John_M said:

JackW said:

It's Rasmussen, must have broken their hearts to even show a Clinton lead.
  • Options
    John_M said:

JackW said:
    Aren't Rasmussen the most friendly to the GOP ? I would actually argue that's a good poll for Clinton and another awful poll for Trump who is mercifully being driven back to the GOP heartlands where he can get 100-150 EVs and then return to the obscurity from where he came.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Any Pokémon Go fans on here? Ive been to a couple of really busy spots but no Pokémon appeared on my phone, is it not working?
  • Options

Michael Crick

Plenty of insiders knew of Woolfe’s exclusion from the ballot before the initial announcement.
    Or James' candidacy.

Didn't see much evidence on Betfair on Woolfe's exclusion before Guido leaked.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Michael Crick

It was on the front page of the Telegraph website hours before the official announcement.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210
    nunu said:

Any Pokémon Go fans on here? Ive been to a couple of really busy spots but no Pokémon appeared on my phone, is it not working?

Politics, trains, and cricket (and a bit of AV) is more than enough for this forum.... :D
  • Options
    nunu said:

I notice that some saddos now have a workaround (spoofing the GPS) so they don't even have to leave their bedroom in order to collect them. Sigh.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,757

Michael Crick

52%, 48%. Now where have I heard those values before?
    It's not surprising a few weeks in that people think they made the correct decision. If those figures start to change over time, now that would be interesting.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

You make a strong point, I am duly punished for intellectual laziness.

I have a managerial view of politics and am automatically suspicious of sacred cows (e.g. the NHS). My commercial background means I'm interested in pragmatic solutions. I try not to get emotionally invested in projects. As I say, dull :).
    Not at all - and I quite agree with you; I don't believe in sacred cows either. However, I do think it's good to know the destination that you're trying to manage your way to.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It's informative to see just how many policy areas Labour have where Corbyn has not convinced the majority of the Labour 2015 vote that he has the answers.

Asylum, immigration, law and order, the economy and Brexit.

I think the problem is he has no answers and in truth Labour has struggled for answers since Lehmann Brothers collapsed. There has been no coherent intellectual response to the events of 2008-9 from which Brexit and other things have flowed.

The problem for the Right is that austerity itself has now failed so they are compelled to drift along without much in the way of idea as to how to govern beyond reactive response to immediate crises and concerns.

• Options

Jonathan said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

35% for me.

Yet more Blairite thinking. ;)
    Oh dear - it's happening. If I betray signs of enjoying the music of D-Ream and emphasising the importance of education, it will be revolver and whisky time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210

Michael Crick

twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/761220378182189056

It's not surprising a few weeks in that people think they made the correct decision. If those figures start to change over time, now that would be interesting.
    Well it certainly doesn't support the notion that people are regretting their decision.
  • Options

Given the usual bias for people to put themselves on the winning side it's interesting in itself that the 48% Remain vote seems to be solid. It suggests they were not as reluctant as the stereotype.
  • Options
    John_M said:

MTimT said:

I agreed with that analysis at the time, and still hold that view. Military operation was justified and awesome in its effectiveness. The moment the police and armed forces were disbanded, it was clear that it would become a clusterfuck. Alas, it did not disappoint - blame the DoD, not the military.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,057
    After heavy defeats in 2012 and 2015 both the GOP and Labour have managed to pick the only two candidates who could do worse than Romney and Ed Miliband and are now heading for a hat trick of defeats to two strong female opponents
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Mr. Glenn, or the reporting of negative news (some of it spun to excess, some fair enough) has made people happier to recall or claim they voted to Remain.
  • Options
    Can't afford any public bogs....but....

Senior staff at Manchester council have been awarded pay rises of up to 60% while blaming the Tories for cuts in the city.

http://order-order.com/2016/08/04/60-pay-rise-for-senior-manchester-council-staff/

• Options

Ref Mike's comment about Romney possibly doing well in NH because of his term next door as governor, I don't think it made that big a difference. Bush lost NH by only 1.4% in 2004 so while it's not necessarily on the GOP path to the White House, it is likely to be in the mix of those that Trump would need. To be 15% down is only not disastrous because there are other proven routes to winning. It is, however, probably typical of a general position that is running close to disastrous.

Bush won NH in 2000
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

Also, Goldwater changed the Republican party forever. Not a bad legacy for Trump if he does the same.
    Post defeat he was awesome, I don't think Trump has the depth.
    Maybe not, but someone serious about winning, standing on the same economic policies as Trump, would beat Clinton pretty easily in 4 years time.

The Republican establishment would hate it but not sure what they can do about it.
    Unfortunately for the GOP if Trump loses the base will probably pick Cruz in 2020 because Trump was too socially liberal
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,074
    I see Trump has at least scored Clint Eastwood's support.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Try turning your phone on and off.. On the plus side you can recustomize your character's avatar. Lvl 37 has the gym near me !

Apparently it has got harder.
  • Options
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

Touched a nerve and I was not even talking about you. You make a better nasty Tory, you need a pair to be a Scottish Nationalist.
    I don't think you do need balls to be a Scot Nat actually Malc. I think it's a free license to be a a chauvanist with absolutely no comeback. It's the nationalism that absolutely dare speak its name. It's the opponents of it who need balls. Much easier walking around with a Yes badge than with a Better Together one.
  • Options

I see Trump has at least scored Clint Eastwood's support.

Hopefully he did not speak to a chair when giving it this time
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Some excellent polling numbers for Trump this week – his strategy of trying to throw the election with increasingly bizarre outbursts and outlandish positioning is bearing fruit.

You have to hand it to the guy.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

I agreed with that analysis at the time, and still hold that view. Military operation was justified and awesome in its effectiveness. The moment the police and armed forces were disbanded, it was clear that it would become a clusterfuck. Alas, it did not disappoint - blame the DoD, not the military.
    But what was the point? Such as he was, Saddam, a Sunni but non-islamist dictator, was a fairly stabilising (in the context of the ME) figure. The decision to invade showed nothing more than the US' desire to re-shape the Middle East in its own interests, however chaotic and destructive the result.
  • Options
    Fellow windsurfer Bryony Shaw, who won a bronze in the 2008 Olympics, told BBC Sport: "The water quality is an issue and you do pick up rubbish on your fins. Nobody wants medals taken away for that reason.

"But in the last couple of weeks the bay is cleaning up. Even when you pass the tideline there is way less rubbish to weave your way through.

"On a windsurfer we're we are going pretty fast, rubbish can stop you in your tracks and nobody wants that in the races."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/36599710
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

Also, Goldwater changed the Republican party forever. Not a bad legacy for Trump if he does the same.
    Maybe not, but someone serious about winning, standing on the same economic policies as Trump, would beat Clinton pretty easily in 4 years time.

The Republican establishment would hate it but not sure what they can do about it.
    Unfortunately for the GOP if Trump loses the base will probably pick Cruz in 2020 because Trump was too socially liberal
    They won't pick Ted Cruz, with a -39 favorables among republicans nationally it's more likely he will be primaried in Texas and lose.

But a turd sandwich can beat Hillary as long as it's a sane one (Trump probably is insane though).
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

They won't pick Ted Cruz, with a -39 favorables among republicans nationally it's more likely he will be primaried in Texas and lose.

But a turd sandwich can beat Hillary as long as it's a sane one (Trump probably is insane).
    Says the man who was ramping him as preferable to Hillary before his recent slide in the polls.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT very rude of you to have a conversation about flying when I wasn't around!

re: GGL I've been grandfathered in, so I only need 3,000 points a year to retain it (but if I ever lose it then I have to get 5,000 to get it back again).

I usually get between 4,500 and 5,500 per year (5,600 is only 20 return trips to New York a year...)

5,000 is worth getting as it gives you access to the Concorde Room that @SeanT likes so much. It appeals to my sense of humour to go in there on an economy ticket :naughty:

(Next target is GGL for life...only 46,000 points to go...)
  • Options

MTimT said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

But what was the point? Such as he was, Saddam, a Sunni but non-islamist dictator, was a fairly stabilising (in the context of the ME) figure. The decision to invade showed nothing more than the US' desire to re-shape the Middle East in its own interests, however chaotic and destructive the result.
    You and I have a different appreciation of Saddam and what would have happened were he left in power after sanctions disintegrated, which they were well and truly doing at that point in history. Let's leave it at that. I don't have the energy to go through this yet again.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

But a turd sandwich can beat Hillary as long as it's a sane one (Trump probably is insane).
    Says the man who was ramping him as preferable to Hillary before his recent slide in the polls.
    Anyone is preferable to one who is a proven incompetent crook as long as he is sane.

Trump's actions since the convention are not those of a sane person.

That Hillary is going to be a disaster that rivals G.W.Bush is well known, but Trump is perhaps certifiable as a person no matter the merits of his policies.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Unfortunately for the GOP if Trump loses the base will probably pick Cruz in 2020 because Trump was too socially liberal''

You have to fear for the GOP if Trump loses.....actually you have to fear for them whichever way it goes.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

Anyone is preferable to one who is a proven incompetent crook as long as he is sane.

Trump's actions since the convention are not those of a sane person.

That Hillary is going to be a disaster that rivals G.W.Bush is well known, but Trump is perhaps certifiable as a person no matter the merits of his policies.
    Not at all. I think she will make a decent president and the 'crook' meme is just another fashionable hook for anti-establishment nerds to tout about. It doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    Charles said:

re: GGL I've been grandfathered in, so I only need 3,000 points a year to retain it (but if I ever lose it then I have to get 5,000 to get it back again).

I usually get between 4,500 and 5,500 per year (5,600 is only 20 return trips to New York a year...)

5,000 is worth getting as it gives you access to the Concorde Room that @SeanT likes so much. It appeals to my sense of humour to go in there on an economy ticket :naughty:

GGL for life is 100,000 points? Or more?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2016
    ''That Hillary is going to be a disaster that rivals G.W.Bush is well known, but Trump is perhaps certifiable as a person no matter the merits of his policies. ''

America is at a point where its very difficult to see who and what kind of politician could make the country at peace with itself again.

Indeed, its very difficult to see someone who isn't going to make it worse.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

GGL for life is 100,000 points? Or more?
    50,000 I thought.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

The GOP wishes that were the case. The base has got the taste for big government economic populism now, whoever is the nominee in 2020 will be standing on that platform.
  • Options
    An excellent piece by Hannan.
This discussion has been closed.