Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest WH2016 swing state polls have Clinton equalling or d

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

I'm not going to deny that - were I on 4,200 TPs a month before the end of my membership year, and should I have a few days with nothing to do... - I might consider such a run.

If only so I could hang out with @Charles in the Concorde Room.

And I thought I was bad when I was trying to get the Black American Express charge card
    Centurion criteria are pretty tough I think.
    I lost all interest when I found out what the annual fee and initiation fee was.

I'm happy with my black Barclaycard and my Tesco clubcard credit card.
    Get the BA black card, I have collected more Avios than I thought possible. Great for club to first upgrades on long haul.
    Aah. You mean the BA Black *Amex* Card.

The BA Black Card is something very different. These are the benefits that I am aware of (sadly I don't have one - @Cyclefree's charming Italian used to have one & I assume he still does)

* Direct access from First Class check in to the Concorde Lounge (private security check)
    * A guaranteed seat; even on a flight that is fully booked
    * Assurance that all flights are met regardless of missed connections or connection delays; even if this involves delaying a flight for a card holder
    * Chauffeur driven ground transportation in a Jaguar from the lounge to the aircraft at London Heathrow

It's benefit 3 that is particularly classy - BA did that once for me (even though I don't have a Black Card) I was doing a boomerang from Kansas City to London over a weekend so I could have dinner with my wife on our anniversary & I missed the connection in Denver due to bad weather.

They held the plane 20 minutes... I got on, sat down... and the pilot came over the intercom "Now that we have the last passenger on board we can push back..."

You can imagine how popular I was ;)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    taffys said:

''Unfortunately for the GOP if Trump loses the base will probably pick Cruz in 2020 because Trump was too socially liberal''

You have to fear for the GOP if Trump loses.....actually you have to fear for them whichever way it goes.

The GOP will probably get a shellacking due to Trump this year, but they will probably get supermajorities in Congress in 2018 due to Hillary making a mess of everything.

My prediction is that they are going to change the rules to prevent those who are not elected officials from participating in the primaries.

Then they are going to follow the Hillary strategy of stitching the contest for whoever the RNC wants (strong-arming the opposition, very few debates, ballot-stuffing) , then have the nominee avoid the media as much as possible.

If they don't go with Pence, they will probably go for a female minority that is as bland as possible.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2016
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/761143411319644160

Astonishing that the Commonwealth Liberation Party had income of £826,736 and expenditure of £723,805. Well over the Ulster Unionists, the SDLP or DUP and almost exactly the same as Plaid, which are all - like them or loathe them - serious political parties with extensive operational needs.

If you're not familiar with that party, it's led by Her Knowledgeable Professor Alexia Thomas, Law Reformist at The Commonwealth Liberation Party and President of the Independent Diplomat Commission. The IDC is an interesting set-up that sells "British Commonwealth Citizenship", complete with swizzy ID cards, which sounds like a nice little earner. Mostly to Nigerians, apparently, on the premise that they will protect their human rights to live in the UK. Her network of campaigning groups also includes the Council Of Justice Assembly (CJA), the Protectorate Police Commission, the National Liberalism Platform, and Manifesto Mandate 21st Century. And more groups besides, mostly campaigning against mistreatment of ethnic minorities, denial of migration rights to Commonwealth citizens (the Magna Carta apparently grants them all the right to live in Britain, though the evil UK government continues to breach this right by deporting Nigerians), and social services separating children from parents.

The Commonwealth Liberation Party "Are The Brigadiers Steering The Affirmation Of The Battle Of Armageddon. We Are Duty Bound To Disband Democracy And Mandate The Act Of Politics. Our Course Are To Pioneer The Law Of Legal Compromise And Enforce The Bill Of Citizens Equality Rights And Abolish All Alien Laws. We Are Enforcers Of Justice And Shall Propagate The Human Rights Police An Enforcement Of The Manifesto Mandate 21st Century. Justice The Bill And Rights Of The Peoples Appraisal Is Our Mandate."

Perhaps the most enlightening page her party's website is: http://www.thecommonwealthliberationparty.org/religion/?lang=en

Her Knowledgeable Professor Alexia Thomas Can Be Addressed As:
    • Mother of Saint
    • Defender Of The Universe
    • Angel Of Hope Oracle
    • Mother Of World Peace
    • Royal Mother
    • Goddess Of Love

She also unveils the religion of Saintism. "Saintism Practise is the Religion that appreciates the Beauty of Human Creation. The Movement of the Independent Diplomat Commission gave birth to the Saintism Practise. Saintism Religion is about using the Powers of Natural Mystic to regress to the Orthodox Teachings, Perceiving Nature Equilibrium where Humans agree to accept other Breeds by Emanating Energy from Mystic of Nature Philosophying Today Man purported as Illusional Imagination."

Just to reiterate... "income of £826,736". The view through the rabbit hole.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Brussels finds a long forgotten credit card statement down the back of the sofa.

"Britain owes the European Union tens of billions of euros that Brussels will insist is paid out before the country leaves the 28-nation bloc, sources in Brussels have told Handelsblatt’s sister publication WirtschaftsWoche.

Britain is hardly the only country with outstanding payments. The European Union has for years been moving around a debt mountain totaling more than €200 billion, known as “Reste à liquider” (RAL). A high-ranking E.U. official said Britain’s portion amounts to €25 billion."

https://global.handelsblatt.com/breaking/exclusive-britain-has-a-e25-billion-e-u-bill-outstanding

The European Commission is determined not to allow Britain to leave the European Union without paying.

Interesting. How do they propose to stop us?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @JonathanD

'Brussels finds a long forgotten credit card statement down the back of the sofa.

"Britain owes the European Union tens of billions of euros that Brussels will insist is paid out before the country leaves the 28-nation bloc, sources in Brussels have told Handelsblatt’s sister publication WirtschaftsWoche.

Britain is hardly the only country with outstanding payments. The European Union has for years been moving around a debt mountain totaling more than €200 billion, known as “Reste à liquider” (RAL). A high-ranking E.U. official said Britain’s portion amounts to €25 billion."

https://global.handelsblatt.com/breaking/exclusive-britain-has-a-e25-billion-e-u-bill-outstanding'

Every trick in the book being pulled by the EU to try & stop us leaving,good comedy value.

I'm sure we will be delighted to pay at the same time as all the other countries or did Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty specifically say that this had to be paid on exit.

• Options

I do wonder about people in this day and age when an incident occurs, they pull out their mobile phone and film it. Putting aside seems a bit sick to film somebody who has been murdered, but secondly if there is a nut job (and potentially more on the loose) the last thing I am thinking about is getting a good picture for the old Instagram.

Re mobile phone filming: Interesting footage from inside the airliner that crash-landed in Dubai yesterday. Despite repeated instructions from cabin crew to exit the plane immediately and leave belongings behind, many people were still struggling to retrieve their hand luggage from overhead lockers, even with the plane beginning to fill with smoke! It's lucky that this behaviour didn't end up causing fatalities.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Charles said:

JonathanD said:

Brussels finds a long forgotten credit card statement down the back of the sofa.

https://global.handelsblatt.com/breaking/exclusive-britain-has-a-e25-billion-e-u-bill-outstanding

The European Commission is determined not to allow Britain to leave the European Union without paying.

Put a clamp on the Isle of Wight.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Florida - Suffolk

Clinton 47.8 .. Trump 41.6

http://www.suffolk.edu/documents/SUPRC/8_4_2016_marginals.pdf
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    edited August 2016

I do wonder about people in this day and age when an incident occurs, they pull out their mobile phone and film it. Putting aside seems a bit sick to film somebody who has been murdered, but secondly if there is a nut job (and potentially more on the loose) the last thing I am thinking about is getting a good picture for the old Instagram.

Re mobile phone filming: Interesting footage from inside the airliner that crash-landed in Dubai yesterday. Despite repeated instructions from cabin crew to exit the plane immediately and leave belongings behind, many people were still struggling to retrieve their hand luggage from overhead lockers, even with the plane beginning to fill with smoke! It's lucky that this behaviour didn't end up causing fatalities.
    Reminds me of a flight when this particular obnoxious individual just spent the whole flight getting up and down, ignoring the seat belt sign, being rude to staff etc etc etc...well when we landed of course he ignored the whole advice of waiting until we come to a standstill before getting up and retrieving your stuff from the overhead bins.

He jumped out of his seat the second we touched down and proceeded to open the overhead locker....and his loose bottle of bubbley came shooting out and donked him on the head. Karma.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

I'm not going to deny that - were I on 4,200 TPs a month before the end of my membership year, and should I have a few days with nothing to do... - I might consider such a run.

And I thought I was bad when I was trying to get the Black American Express charge card
    I lost all interest when I found out what the annual fee and initiation fee was.

Get the BA black card, I have collected more Avios than I thought possible. Great for club to first upgrades on long haul.

The BA Black Card is something very different. These are the benefits that I am aware of (sadly I don't have one - @Cyclefree's charming Italian used to have one & I assume he still does)

* Direct access from First Class check in to the Concorde Lounge (private security check)
    * Assurance that all flights are met regardless of missed connections or connection delays; even if this involves delaying a flight for a card holder
    * Chauffeur driven ground transportation in a Jaguar from the lounge to the aircraft at London Heathrow

It's benefit 3 that is particularly classy - BA did that once for me (even though I don't have a Black Card) I was doing a boomerang from Kansas City to London over a weekend so I could have dinner with my wife on our anniversary & I missed the connection in Denver due to bad weather.

They held the plane 20 minutes... I got on, sat down... and the pilot came over the intercom "Now that we have the last passenger on board we can push back..."

I was traveling with Martin Sorrell at Heathrow, and he pulled out his Black BA card and ushered is through private security :)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,691
    edited August 2016

JonathanD said:

So Britain has been accumulating €25 billion of hidden liabilities whilst a member of the EU.

We have news for the EU - we won't be paying for hidden liabilities and once we have left we won't be accruing any more either.
    How does it go again?
    If you walk away from your share of the debt that you helped incur, you'll become an international pariah. ©Project Fear I
    Yes, remind us your view on that argument won't you? You know, back in your anti-establishment days?
    You first, Luckybag.
    Your 'anti establishment' positions on Projects Fear, scaremongering, taking back control and sovereignty will be entirely consistent, nae doot.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

This is going to be either 1964 all over again (I hope)

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

How did that work out for LBJ?
    Also, Goldwater changed the Republican party forever. Not a bad legacy for Trump if he does the same.
    Post defeat he was awesome, I don't think Trump has the depth.
    Maybe not, but someone serious about winning, standing on the same economic policies as Trump, would beat Clinton pretty easily in 4 years time.

The Republican establishment would hate it but not sure what they can do about it.
    Unfortunately for the GOP if Trump loses the base will probably pick Cruz in 2020 because Trump was too socially liberal
    They won't pick Ted Cruz, with a -39 favorables among republicans nationally it's more likely he will be primaried in Texas and lose.

But a turd sandwich can beat Hillary as long as it's a sane one (Trump probably is insane).
    Says the man who was ramping him as preferable to Hillary before his recent slide in the polls.
    Anyone is preferable to one who is a proven incompetent crook as long as he is sane.

Trump's actions since the convention are not those of a sane person.

That Hillary is going to be a disaster that rivals G.W.Bush is well known, but Trump is perhaps certifiable as a person no matter the merits of his policies.
    Not at all. I think she will make a decent president and the 'crook' meme is just another fashionable hook for anti-establishment nerds to tout about. It doesn't mean much.
    Her tenure at the State Department proved that she is not competent in government, and her donation charity system reeks of corruption.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    Charles said:

JonathanD said:

It's all just negotiating bullshit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210

That's why I like keeping my rucksack under the seat in front of me. I can grab it and go and not worry about losing my passport/wallet/computer.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

MTimT said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

I've done this quiz on What % Blairite Are You?

Turns out I'm 89% Blairite

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/what-percent-blairite-are-you

Only 79%, probably as I'm a Brexiteer and proud of it.
    89% Blairite aussi. Probably because I thought Iraq was right beforehand and a giant clusterfuck afterwards.
    I agreed with that analysis at the time, and still hold that view. Military operation was justified and awesome in its effectiveness. The moment the police and armed forces were disbanded, it was clear that it would become a clusterfuck. Alas, it did not disappoint - blame the DoD, not the military.
    But what was the point? Such as he was, Saddam, a Sunni but non-islamist dictator, was a fairly stabilising (in the context of the ME) figure. The decision to invade showed nothing more than the US' desire to re-shape the Middle East in its own interests, however chaotic and destructive the result.
    Saddam was a fairly stabilising influence? Even in the context of the ME he was never that. War against Iran, invasion of Kuwait, attempted destruction of a unique eco system in the southern marshes, and that is quite apart from what he did to his own people and the problems he delighted to stir up elsewhere.

The man was a monster and his two sons raging psychopaths. The world is better for their leaving it. However, that is not to say I agree with the decision to invade (never mind supposed issues of legality that was wrong in and of itself) and to do so with no credible plan for what came after the "victory" was, in my view, an act of criminal negligence. An act moreover for which I think Blair could and should be prosecuted.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

I very rarely fly with BA, cannot stand them, shockingly bad experiences with them in the past.

Much prefer to fly with Virgin or with one of the Middle Eastern lot
    Virgin used to be excellent for business class. These days, the BA product is much improved, and IMHO is better. Emirates is very good, their business class makes excellent use of space, and you really feel separate from your neighbour.

Flew biz to Toronto with BA yesterday. It's fine, but there's definitely been a decline in the offering over recent years. To Asia it's better as the competition is much greater. US and Air Canada are so dire BA can basically offer what they like.

You probably had one of the old planes - the new ones are much nicer.

American's not too bad now internationally, but the other US carriers are still dire
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    JackW said:

Florida - Suffolk

Oof another bad poll for the GOP nominee. From the recent polls I don't think he currently has any path to 270. Obviously plenty of laps left in the race but at the moment it looks like Hillary will be the next Commander in Chief.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,844

It's a well-known phenomenon and most airlines plan for it.

The thinking behind it is that people have only ever left an aeroplane taking their belongings so are mentally programmed to do so regardless of the situation. More so if they are in shock to any degree.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,291
    ToryJim said:

JackW said:

Florida - Suffolk

Oof another bad poll for the GOP nominee. From the recent polls I don't think he currently has any path to 270. Obviously plenty of laps left in the race but at the moment it looks like Hillary will be the next Commander in Chief.
    Colorado in play:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/colorado-trump-shrinking-electoral-map-226653

• Options
    Data from mobile phone app Foursquare, which lets users "check in" at their location, has revealed that footfall to the controversial candidate’s properties in the US has dropped by as much as 17 per cent since June last year, when Trump threw his hat into the ring.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/articles/trump-hotel-business-hit-by-campaign-footfall-data-shows/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    The EU are like the barbarians during the Crisis of the Third Century. Threw their weight around, and enjoyed a lot of success.

May's job is to be a female Aurelian [or Gothic Claudius] and give them a damned good thrashing.

The Aurelian comparison fits nicely for sewing together a fractured land too, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelian
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    World Vision said it was standing by its employee Mohammed El-Halabi and was "shocked" at the charges against him.

"Based on the information available to us at this time, we have no reason to believe that the allegations are true," the charity said.

Israel said that El-Halabi, a Palestinian man from Gaza, was a lifelong member of Hamas and received military training in the early 2000s before Hamas leaders ordered him "to infiltrate” World Vision in 2005.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/04/british-donations-to-christian-charity-world-vision-were-used-to/

Do they honestly think the Israeli equivalent of MI5 are making at this up? It makes you wonder what else they are just blind to.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

FPT very rude of you to have a conversation about flying when I wasn't around!

re: GGL I've been grandfathered in, so I only need 3,000 points a year to retain it (but if I ever lose it then I have to get 5,000 to get it back again).

I usually get between 4,500 and 5,500 per year (5,600 is only 20 return trips to New York a year...)

5,000 is worth getting as it gives you access to the Concorde Room that @SeanT likes so much. It appeals to my sense of humour to go in there on an economy ticket :naughty:

(Next target is GGL for life...only 46,000 points to go...)

GGL for life is 100,000 points? Or more?
    100,000 points. It's an aspirational target!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

re: GGL I've been grandfathered in, so I only need 3,000 points a year to retain it (but if I ever lose it then I have to get 5,000 to get it back again).

I usually get between 4,500 and 5,500 per year (5,600 is only 20 return trips to New York a year...)

5,000 is worth getting as it gives you access to the Concorde Room that @SeanT likes so much. It appeals to my sense of humour to go in there on an economy ticket :naughty:

50,000 I thought.
    That's Gold for life, not GGL.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

50,000 I thought.
    That's Gold for life, not GGL.
    At my current 2700 points per year run rate it's going to be a while!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    I'm impressed with £240k spending by the Women's Equality Party.

That's a lot of pretty shoes for the girlies.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    My average Daily Tracking poll has now Hillary 46.5 Trump 41.5, a Hillary lead of 5 points, up from 3 on Monday.

Since the end of the DNC her lead is growing everyday.

In 2012 in the same period after the DNC Obama in my average tracking poll had a lead of 3.5% ( Obama 47.5 Romney 44) after peaking at 4.5 a day earlier (Obama 48.5 Romney 44).

Well I will still hold the re-issue of my "Trump is dead" call until August 15th.

Normally I would say that maybe a miracle (or a disaster) could happen and save Trump, but since Trump's sanity is questionable, even if that happens as usual he will throw it in the bin.

A resignation from the nomination to save face and probably his freedom, is still the only good option he has.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB

I was traveling with Martin Sorrell at Heathrow, and he pulled out his Black BA card and ushered is through private security :)
    A friend did that for me at Nice - although there they use a retinal scan to get through to the private line as they were worried about people faking it :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

JonathanD said:

It's all just negotiating bullshit.
    Of course it is. But they use too many definitives (it may be translation). To say "they won't let us" just means their BS will get called.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,057
    edited August 2016
    Speedy said:

taffys said:

''Unfortunately for the GOP if Trump loses the base will probably pick Cruz in 2020 because Trump was too socially liberal''

You have to fear for the GOP if Trump loses.....actually you have to fear for them whichever way it goes.

The GOP will probably get a shellacking due to Trump this year, but they will probably get supermajorities in Congress in 2018 due to Hillary making a mess of everything.

My prediction is that they are going to change the rules to prevent those who are not elected officials from participating in the primaries.

Then they are going to follow the Hillary strategy of stitching the contest for whoever the RNC wants (strong-arming the opposition, very few debates, ballot-stuffing) , then have the nominee avoid the media as much as possible.

If they don't go with Pence, they will probably go for a female minority that is as bland as possible.
    Hillary very nearly lost to Sanders, a 70 year old US socialist, despite being the overwhelming favourite for the nomination with heavy establishment support. The GOP base is more ideological than the Democrats, whereas the median Democratic primary voter is a moderate, the median GOP voter is a conservative. The GOP establishment could not get even one candidate into the final 2. If Trump loses Cruz will almost certainly be nominee, the idea redneck white males in Mississippi and Ohio and Iowa will pick a bland female minority to face Hillary is laughable!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

JackW said:

Florida - Suffolk

The Trump strategy has been a "Rust Belt Plus" path that effectively discounts hispanic rich states. However that path is mighty narrow. Essentially Romney + PA, OH, MI = 260 and then Iowa + New Hampshire or one of Virginia or Wisconsin to 270+. If North Carolina or Arizona flips then the route becomes a traffic jam.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Hijacking your reply, but does this include short money?
  • Options

Data from mobile phone app Foursquare, which lets users "check in" at their location, has revealed that footfall to the controversial candidate’s properties in the US has dropped by as much as 17 per cent since June last year, when Trump threw his hat into the ring.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/articles/trump-hotel-business-hit-by-campaign-footfall-data-shows/

When I was last in Toronto I caught up with someone who's friend owns the Trump Hotel there. He's currently suing Trump to cancel the license agreement because the campaign has caused so much damage to the hotel business (down 35% or so)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

Also, Goldwater changed the Republican party forever. Not a bad legacy for Trump if he does the same.
    Maybe not, but someone serious about winning, standing on the same economic policies as Trump, would beat Clinton pretty easily in 4 years time.

The Republican establishment would hate it but not sure what they can do about it.
    Unfortunately for the GOP if Trump loses the base will probably pick Cruz in 2020 because Trump was too socially liberal
    They won't pick Ted Cruz, with a -39 favorables among republicans nationally it's more likely he will be primaried in Texas and lose.

But a turd sandwich can beat Hillary as long as it's a sane one (Trump probably is insane though).
    Cruz won a lot of primaries this year, he only has negatives at the moment because he did not give Trump a wholehearted endorsement, if Trump is trounced he can say he was right and Trump lost because he was a Democrat in GOP clothing and the GOP need a true conservative to beat Hillary ie him.

(If not Cruz an insane turd sandwich may be a good outside bet for the nomination too, as long as it is anti immigration, anti free trade, anti abortion, anti Obamacare, anti gay marriage and anti Wall Street)
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

DfID has given £27 million to a charity whose lead organiser in Gaza has just been arrested for funnelling 60% of his budget to Hamas. World Vision’s Mohammed El-Halabi was seized in an operation by Israeli intelligence and is accused of moving “tens of millions” of aid money to Hamas’ military wing. A Hamas member, Halabi allegedly “infiltrated” World Vision in 2005 with the explicit intention to steal money and funnel it to fighters. He gave £5.5 million every year to the terror group – including 40% of the charity’s civilian project fund. World Vision is funded by the British taxpayer through DfiD’s aid programme

http://order-order.com/2016/08/04/dfid-funding-hamas/

Wonder what Jezza thinks of this?

More to the point what does Justine think about it?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    JonathanD said:

We need Osborne and CMD to work some of their magic where they turn a bill for €25 billion into a bill for €25 billion.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

Hijacking your reply, but does this include short money?
    Hijack away :)

I assumed that it included Short Money for the parties in receipt of it.

For those few occasional visitors here who don't recall: Short Money is made available to all opposition parties in the House of Commons that secured either at least two seats or one seat and more than 150,000 votes at the previous general election.
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Money
  • Options
    taffys said:

Like Labour the lunatics are in charge of the asylum at the moment
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    DanSmith said:

HYUFD said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Clinton = LBJ

Trump = Goldwater

The GOP wishes that were the case. The base has got the taste for big government economic populism now, whoever is the nominee in 2020 will be standing on that platform.
    More protectionist, nationalist social conservatism, the base still do not back Obamacare for instance
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

taffys said:

Hillary very nearly lost to Sanders, a 70 year old US socialist, despite being the overwhelming favourite for the nomination with heavy establishment support. The GOP base is more ideological than the Democrats, whereas the median Democratic primary voter is a moderate, the median GOP voter is a conservative. The GOP establishment could not get even one candidate into the final 2. If Trump loses Cruz will almost certainly be nominee, the idea redneck white males in Mississippi and Ohio and Iowa will pick a bland female minority to face Hillary is laughable!
    They won't choose Cruz, he's done a Gove remember ?

Thus only 27% of republicans now have a favourable opinion about him vs 66% with a negative, in the last national poll that they asked about him.

So it will probably be someone who hasn't lost to Trump and someone who isn't a modern day incarnation of Brutus.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    GeoffM said:

What do they spend it all on? The Commonwealth Liberation Party have at least managed to get some professional produced campaign videos done. Though for almost a million pounds of expenditure, is this the best they could do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFC483Fcoo4

This one pulls no punches.Within six seconds, the party leader is identified as the Mother of World Peace, the Messenger of Truth, the Angel of Hope, and the Goddess of Love... Even Blair didn't claim to be all of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EswdzyHB28
  • Options
    Charles said:

You probably had one of the old planes - the new ones are much nicer.

American's not too bad now internationally, but the other US carriers are still dire

When I was doing the run to the USA I tried to avoid American Airlines like the plague. It wasn't that their facilities on board were particularly bad it was the cabin crew and service.

They had, and maybe still do for all I know, a policy of giving the best flights to the staff with most service. Consequently the trans Atlantic flights were crewed by dreadful old bats who couldn't give a toss. Their one saving grace was on the overnighter home from Miami they had a habit of, after dinner, dishing out half a bottle (35cl) of whatever spirit you required, dimming the lights and then pissing off up the back for a smoke and a few drinks themselves.

AA on internal flights was even worse, just awful, absolute minimum allowable number staff and sometimes I didn't even get offered so much as a cup of coffee on flights between El Paso and Dallas.

By contrast US Air and Delta I found pretty damn spiffing. The former's business class across the Atlantic was easily as good as BA's first class (and you could use the BA lounge) and the latter's Business First was top notch (though I never used across the Atlantic).

The worst international (as opposed to local operators) airline I ever flew with was Air Jamaica. Did it once, from Caymans to Houston. Truly awful on every level.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,081
    Speedy said:

Thus only 27% of republicans now have a favourable opinion about him vs 66% with a negative, in the last national poll that they asked about him.

So it will probably be someone who hasn't lost to Trump and someone who isn't a modern day incarnation of Brutus.

I still feel that if Trump hadn't been in the race, Carly Fiorina would have been the one to carry off the business outsider pitch in the primaries with more ability to pivot to the centre for the general. As it turns out she was politically far closer to the Cruz platform than I could stomach, but it would probably have been a good balance for the GOP.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    JackW said:

ToryJim said:

JackW said:

Florida - Suffolk

The Trump strategy has been a "Rust Belt Plus" path that effectively discounts hispanic rich states. However that path is mighty narrow. Essentially Romney + PA, OH, MI = 260 and then Iowa + New Hampshire or one of Virginia or Wisconsin to 270+. If North Carolina or Arizona flips then the route becomes a traffic jam.
    Indeed trouble is PA and MI haven't gone GOP since Bush I. In every election since they've been mentioned as in the strategy, PA particularly. I don't see any reason other than flights of fancy or excess optimism to imagine that PA or MI will flip. OH is a swingier swing state but can't see that going at the moment.

Bush II won twice without PA or MI but he needed the Latino heavy Midwestern states. Trump is doing all the wrong things to do anything but badly there. So if Trump can't flip the Rust belt and antagonises the Midwest and seems to be behind in FL he's already losing by the same score as Mitt if not worse.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

taffys said:

He did a Gove on someone now about to lose a landslide, slightly different circumstances than doing a Gove on someone who is now Foreign Secretary and Cruz never pretended to be loyal to Trump, unlike Gove and Johnson.

Trump is the nominee and the man Republicans still think will win in November, for now Cruz is seen as failing to back the winning candidate, if Trump is trounced in November by contrast Cruz can say he was right all along (and Cruz at least spoke in person at Trump's convention, unlike Kasich, Jeb Bush and Rubio).

If not Cruz it will be someone equally hard right
  • Options
    Osborne CH confirmed.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,375
    pbr2013 said:

DfID has given £27 million to a charity whose lead organiser in Gaza has just been arrested for funnelling 60% of his budget to Hamas. World Vision’s Mohammed El-Halabi was seized in an operation by Israeli intelligence and is accused of moving “tens of millions” of aid money to Hamas’ military wing. A Hamas member, Halabi allegedly “infiltrated” World Vision in 2005 with the explicit intention to steal money and funnel it to fighters. He gave £5.5 million every year to the terror group – including 40% of the charity’s civilian project fund. World Vision is funded by the British taxpayer through DfiD’s aid programme

http://order-order.com/2016/08/04/dfid-funding-hamas/

Wonder what Jezza thinks of this?

More to the point what does Justine think about it?

Priti Patel's latest constituency newsletter suggests she's thinking about this sort of thing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Full list of Cameron resignation honours/peerages

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/resignation-honours-2016

• Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options

No Major, 1st Earl of Brixton? Oh well....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,833
    Shami got her payment...

Corbyn's crony
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Speedy said:

I still feel that if Trump hadn't been in the race, Carly Fiorina would have been the one to carry off the business outsider pitch in the primaries with more ability to pivot to the centre for the general. As it turns out she was politically far closer to the Cruz platform than I could stomach, but it would probably have been a good balance for the GOP.
    No, Fiorina was terrible, a terrible campaigner, terrible business record, terrible policies, her entire micro-burst in September was fueled by her hatred of Trump in the media.

If Trump hadn't run I guess the final round would have been Cruz vs Carson.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Ha ha. Hahahahahaa. Haha. Ha ha.
  • Options

No JohnO ..... again !! .... :astonished:
  • Options
  • Options
    JackW said:

Surely there's been an almighty cockup in the gongs division!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Services to antisemitism in the Labour party.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,844
    I missed what Hugo Swire did...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2016
    ''Ha ha etc''

There's a serious point here. Chakrabati has had a serious influence on British social and political life, and will continue to do so.

Without ever having to face an election.
  • Options

Shami got her payment...

Corbyn's crony

Liberty is you ask me ....
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    Everyone knows that it wasn't. That was clear from the outset.

She has managed to destroy her credibility in a matter of a few short weeks.
  • Options
    Wonder if she'll become Baroness Kuvrup.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Ha ha etc''

There's a serious point here. Chakrabati has had a serious influence on British social and political life, and will continue to do so.

Without ever having to face and election.

You can say that about many people. Carney for one....
  • Options
    Mr. Simon, good. The self-righteous smugness was bloody irksome. Like having a second Caroline Lucas.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Lets run the list of names of who will be president in 2020.

First lets delete those who lost to Trump this year:

Rubio
    Bush
    Carson
    Cruz
    Fiorina
    Christie
    Paul
    Graham
    Kasich
    Santorum
    Pataki
    Jindal

Then lets remove those who are not elected officials (they will certainly change the rules).

Whose left?
  • Options
    "Priti Patel's latest constituency newsletter suggests she's thinking about this sort of thing [DfID money being used to fund terrorist organisations]."

Thinking about it? I should hope she would be demanding explanations and lopping the heads off those responsible for giving money to dodgy organisations.

To be fair to the civil servants when your performance criteria is giving away £12bn a year then there are always going to be some bad decisions, simply because there is too much money to give away sensibly. The answer is to change the performance criteria . Will Patel be able to convince TM to do this?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Rubio
    Bush
    Carson
    Cruz
    Fiorina
    Christie
    Paul
    Graham
    Kasich
    Santorum
    Pataki
    Jindal

Then lets remove those who are not elected officials (they will certainly change the rules).

Whose left?

Ryan
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,126
    So pleased about the Osborne gong. And now off to dinner to avoid the crazies :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Speedy said:

Rubio
    Bush
    Carson
    Cruz
    Fiorina
    Christie
    Paul
    Graham
    Kasich
    Santorum
    Pataki
    Jindal

Whose left?

Ryan
    Ryan lost in 2012 as Romney's VP candidate and Trump has failed to even endorse him for re-election this year, if Trump loses it will be someone non-establishment with impeccable conservative credentials
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

Yup.

"The Jewish Chronicle have got hold of the Baroness Royall report into anti-Semitism at Oxford University Labour Club. The report is damning and confirms there were “incidents of antisemitic behaviour” and that “Some Jewish members do not feel comfortable attending the [OULC] meetings, let alone participating”. These findings were presented to Labour’s NEC who then covered them up. Though no names are mentioned in the report, the suppressed allegations involved Corbynistas James Elliott and Max Shanly. Instead of publishing, Corbyn then set up the Shami Chakrabarti inquiry, may or may not have offered her a peerage, and she then whitewashed the allegations."
    http://order-order.com/2016/08/03/buried-royall-report-incidents-of-antisemitic-behaviour-in-oulc/
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

No, Fiorina was terrible, a terrible campaigner, terrible business record, terrible policies, her entire micro-burst in September was fueled by her hatred of Trump in the media.
    I must admit an element of projection of the candidate she ought to have been onto her but I don't think that her micro-burst was down to a hatred of Trump. At that time everyone still assumed that Trump was just a flash in the pan. Fiorina legitimately gave two standout performances, first in the under-card and then in the main debate, but then fizzled out.

Her ad in response to Trump's 'look at that face' comment was still one of the high points of the election so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODfUOnw2x0g
  • Options
    RobD said:

Rumour has it that JohnO demurred on a mere life barony and wasn't prepared to be railroaded .... :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Yup.

"The Jewish Chronicle have got hold of the Baroness Royall report into anti-Semitism at Oxford University Labour Club. The report is damning and confirms there were “incidents of antisemitic behaviour” and that “Some Jewish members do not feel comfortable attending the [OULC] meetings, let alone participating”. These findings were presented to Labour’s NEC who then covered them up. Though no names are mentioned in the report, the suppressed allegations involved Corbynistas James Elliott and Max Shanly. Instead of publishing, Corbyn then set up the Shami Chakrabarti inquiry, may or may not have offered her a peerage, and she then whitewashed the allegations."
    http://order-order.com/2016/08/03/buried-royall-report-incidents-of-antisemitic-behaviour-in-oulc/
    How easily a person of "integrity" can be bought. Truly pathetic behaviour from Corbyn and his weak new crony.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Surprised Nick Clegg is not on the honours list. I doubt Samantha would have serviced Dave the way Nick did.
  • Options

Surprised Nick Clegg is not on the honours list. I doubt Samantha would have serviced Dave the way Nick did.

Who knows, he could have refused!
  • Options
    RobD said:

No Major, 1st Earl of Brixton? Oh well....
    Good to see our new chairman got a peerage though :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    MP_SE said:

Her conclusion: ‘The Labour party is not stuffed with anti-Semites’ – well that's OK then, here, have a gong. - That's her bought off, now what do we do about Baroness Royall...
  • Options

A dreadful indictment of the honours system and one which shows a side light onto Cameron's true nature. Thank goodness he has gone.
  • Options
    National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 44 .. Trump 36 - RV
    Clinton 43 .. Trump 39 - LV

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/2016_Reuters_Tracking_-_Core_Political_8.3_.16_FINAL_.pdf
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Did Mike get his OGH? :lol:
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Yup.

How easily a person of "integrity" can be bought. Truly pathetic behaviour from Corbyn and his weak new crony.
    A health warning on this story but...

http://heatst.com/world/shami-chakrabarti-tried-to-send-her-son-to-eton/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,691
    One for the Trekkies/Big Bang fans.

https://twitter.com/wilw/status/761248503095959552
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

A dreadful indictment of the honours system and one which shows a side light onto Cameron's true nature. Thank goodness he has gone.
    Cameron values loyalty. He was one of the best PMs.

• Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Yup.

A health warning on this story but...

http://heatst.com/world/shami-chakrabarti-tried-to-send-her-son-to-eton/
    I don't care what parents choose to spend their money on when it comes to education. I do care about peerages being used to cover up anti-semitism in a major political party.

It is pretty shameful and she should have known better. Her legacy of good works (whether or not you agree with everything she did/said) has been undone by taking the Corbyn shilling.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386

Does the CH mean Osborne also becomes a Sir?

What about Swire and Fallon?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Rubio
    Bush
    Carson
    Cruz
    Fiorina
    Christie
    Paul
    Graham
    Kasich
    Santorum
    Pataki
    Jindal

Whose left?

Ryan
    Ryan lost in 2012 as Romney's VP candidate and Trump has failed to even endorse him for re-election this year, if Trump loses it will be someone non-establishment with impeccable conservative credentials
    Nikki Haley might be rather a good bet at the moment for 2020. Indeed, even if Trump wins she would possibly be a good bet given Trump's age.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

if a tory said that Labour would call it racist.......
  • Options
    perdix said:

Loyalty to Will Straw? What the feck has Straw done, apart from fail in his political goals?
  • Options
    perdix said:

I don't see this is significantly different to, say, Harold Wilson's resignation honours

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Prime_Minister's_Resignation_Honours

or Thatcher's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Prime_Minister's_Resignation_Honours

A lot of hot air - signifying absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited August 2016
    Hard to get too upset about the honours list. Had Cameron had won the EU vote and gone of his own volition in 2018 say then nobody would have batted much of an eyelid about any of this, one or two eyebrow-raisers aside - Will Straw ffs, even if Remain had won, seems a dubious award for someone who has done virtually nothing in his political life except have a famous MP dad and fail to win a marginal seat in the 2015 election.

Glad that Hammond isn't getting his knighthood yet - he has only just entered the main stage in most people's eyes as a frontline politician, and having neutralised the "Chancellor Osborne = out of touch toff" problem it would be barmy for his replacement to have suffered the same fate by virtue of being knighted before his first Budget!

Nonetheless, surely the age of gongs for No 10 lackeys simply doing what they are paid to do, simply because they do it for the PM, has to come to an end?
  • Options
    perdix said:

You want to defend that list, Mr. Perdix? Honestly, now, do you want to defend it?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

No, it's just a brace of letters after his name. A sign perhaps that he still harbours ambition to resurrect his wrecked political career?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

GeoffM said:

What do they spend it all on? The Commonwealth Liberation Party have at least managed to get some professional produced campaign videos done. Though for almost a million pounds of expenditure, is this the best they could do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFC483Fcoo4

This one pulls no punches.Within six seconds, the party leader is identified as the Mother of World Peace, the Messenger of Truth, the Angel of Hope, and the Goddess of Love... Even Blair didn't claim to be all of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EswdzyHB28
    Love how the narrator speaks the script as it is, warts and all.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 44 .. Trump 36 - RV
    Clinton 43 .. Trump 39 - LV

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/2016_Reuters_Tracking_-_Core_Political_8.3_.16_FINAL_.pdf

Why does every samle have about 150 fewer Rebublicans, are they basing it on the last two elections? That worries me especially as the GOP got millions more votes than the Democrats during the primaries.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Rubio
    Bush
    Carson
    Cruz
    Fiorina
    Christie
    Paul
    Graham
    Kasich
    Santorum
    Pataki
    Jindal

Whose left?

Ryan
    Nikki Haley might be rather a good bet at the moment for 2020. Indeed, even if Trump wins she would possibly be a good bet given Trump's age.
    If GOP primary voters were moving towards sanity by 2020, yes, but I think that is still 8 years away. Haley also called for the confederate flag to be removed from the state capitol in SC which did not go down well with conservatives in that key early primary state or elsewhere in the South. Tea Party activists also say she has failed to cut spending and does too many sweetheart deals for corporations
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/06/sc-conservative-groups-feel-betrayed-by-haley/

She took issue with Trump's anti immigration stance too in her State of the Union response which will not go down well with the base either
    http://www.gopusa.com/haley-criticizes-trump-in-gop-response/
  • Options
    MikeL said:

No. Fallon/Swire will be a Sir though.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    House of Lords State of the Parties:

Today: Con 243, Lab 209, LD 105, Crossbench 173, Others 67 (Total = 797)

Cameron appointments: Con 13, Lab 1, Crossbench 2 (Total = 16)

So post appointments: Con 256, Lab 210, LD 105, Crossbench 175, Others 67 (Total = 813)
  • Options

He finally knows how most people felt when the preternaturally useless perennial academy reject Wesley Crusher yet again saved the best crew in Starfleet from their own implausible incompetence?
This discussion has been closed.