Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears as though there could be a deal on who’ll fight

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

If the ZDF report is accurate, Merkel is going to be in big big do do.

Why? She survived the political consequences of all the NY's Eve attacks. Why wouldn't she survive this?

There have been relatively few political consequences of terrorism in Western Europe. About the only example I can think of is the Spanish election result following the Madrid train bombings. And that was in large part because of the wholly inept response by the government. But elsewhere there has been nothing really.

Maybe this issue will be similar: grumbling for years and years until eventually something snaps. But I dread to think what the '"something snaps" might be in this context.
    Brexit was an ENORMOUS "snap" - by the people most likely to be brave, individualistic and proud enough to say FUCK YOU to the elite consensus. The English. I have never been more convinced that my BREXIT vote was morally right.

Islam is a sickening religion, and if Merkel is going to unilaterally let in 1m Muslims a year to Europe, we have no choice but to put up the barriers.

We did
    Muslims are exactly the same as us - until you start questioning their religion.
    Oh do fuck off.
    Muslims are good people.
    Christians are good people.
    Hindus are good people.

Newsflash: There are also bad people from all of the above.
    Of COURSE most Muslims are good people. Just like most Germans were good people in 1937. But did we trust Germans in 1937? Or 1940? Or 1944? No. Because their identity had been seized by a diseased ideology which, sadly, made them all untrustworthy.

I doubt that more than 10% of Germans were active Nazis, maybe only 5%. But enough believed, and enough acquiesced, in the perversion of German nationalism that was Hitlerism, to make German-ness itself a threat to western liberty. Such that Germans were automatically interned and mistrusted in the UK, during the war.

We are now VERY close to that happening in Europe, vis a vis Muslims. For the exact same reasons. Their faith has been infected by evil radicalism, and too many Muslims have tacitly tolerated this, for too long.
    You never cease to panic,overreact and revert to hyperbole. No wonder you write thrillers for a living.

Listen Sean. Terrorism is Terrorism. We've had all sorts over the years. Religrouse. Racist. Homophones. State sponsored. Political.

They want us to turn on each other. They want us to hate each other.
    They want us to kill each other.

It would validate their sick ideology.

You hate Muslims if you must.

I choose something else. Something more like a solution.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,725
    Tim_B said:

LIVE - Hair Force One arriving in Cleveland.

Enjoy tonight's edition of The Cleveland Show :lol:
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Sky news saying German minister confirming that the attacker on the train was a refugee.

"Danke, Germany for letting me into your wonderful country! Now I'll just attack some of your citizens!"
    You have to wonder about the mindset of some of these people.
    What about the guy from my area of bradford who travelled all the way to scotland to murder the shopkeeper,all because he thought the man insulted his way of teaching of islam.
    Exactly. Hurl them all onto a ferry, ship them to fucking Qatar
    Make it Dubai and you have urself a deal.
    You would deny them the joys of the 2022 World Cup?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

So thats a loner in Canada, a loner in Germany.

That leaves the Dutch and oureselves due I think.

Didn't we have one about 4 weeks ago? Or are we just counting Muslims?
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Daily Express using Farenheit...I blame Brexit.

I look forward to the first paper reporting a heatwave in Kelvin!
    "Britain to Bake in 308 Degree Heatwave"
    Tut tut. The Kelvin scale doesn't have 'degrees' :p
    Some PBers have some shocking knowledge when it comes to science, fortunately you and I are here to educate them, as we saw in yesterday's thread header
    SeanT wants us gone you know.
    He's gone through this phase before.

I remember when he wanted to intern all Muslims, or anyone who looked like a Muslim
    No, you're fine. I just want to slowly and gently remove ALL Muslims who show any kind of adherence to any form of conservative Islam. So we ban sharia, ban niqabs, ban the burqa, close hardline mosques, prohibit new mosques, demolish minarets, completely ban any new Muslim immigration, make prayer hard to do, make halal food illegal, fiercely prosecute cousin marriage, FGM, anti-white pedophile racist gangrape, all that shit you people like. blahblahblah

Basically we make YOUR delightful religious life and traditions very hard to do in OUR country.

If you are willing to stay here after all that, then you can be considered a tolerable element in the UK, and you can stay. If not, bye.
    Nah Sean. I'm on your side in this generally. But this is England, you can wear what you want. Apart from in a bank or a school etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Y0kel said:

We are definitely counting muslims. Look up the Wikipedia page of terrorist attacks. The first thing that will strike you - actually, the second after the sheer scale of it and that most of the victims are muslims - is that they are mostly carried out in the name of Islam. No getting around that..
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

We are definitely counting muslims. Look up the Wikipedia page of terrorist attacks. The first thing that will strike you - actually, the second after the sheer scale of it and that most of the victims are muslims - is that they are mostly carried out in the name of Islam. No getting around that..
    Did you not see the word "just" in my post?
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

Didn't you get the memo? Islam has nothing to do with Islam!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited July 2016
    pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

It does get a bit monotonous - would be a change to have an attack on behalf of The Assembly of the Prophet in Market Harborough, or Our Lady Of Perpetual Responsibility in Fenny Drayton.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:
    It's not answers the French want. Words are easy. It's actions they want.

[Snipped]

And if the peaceful Muslims complain about being vilified in all this, I would say that this is what always happens when the good people in a community do not speak up about the bad people. The bad drives out the good. The innocent suffer. It's not right and it's unfair. But it happens - as it has to plenty of good bankers who did not lie and cheat and commit fraud and waste money. So if the good don't want that unfair vilification to happen they need to make their voices heard and their actions count. Turning a blind eye; saying "I'm not a violent terrorist and I abhor violence and this is not what my religion means" is not enough, however true it is. A culture changes for the better when the people in it take the steps to drive out the bad and change the way they think and behave. Part of the frustration some feel is that they don't see this happening.

All of this may be hugely unfair to lots of people. But at this moment many French people who have seen the bodies of children and others crushed to death by a lorry on their national holiday are not very concerned about being hugely unfair.

Being hugely unfair to lots of people doesn't usually work out well.
    It did in banking. It was precisely because all bankers were viewed as crooks by the public, governments and regulators that those in the industry who weren't crooks and were fed up with having their good names tarnished finally realised that they needed to take action to change the reality.

So concerned have we been about there not being a backlash against ordinary innocent Muslims that we have allowed them not to feel the consequences of having their good name tarnished by the bad guys and, therefore, not to feel the need to do something to change the reality.

Just as it is not enough for the good banker to say "Well, I'm not a crook" and turn a blind eye to what is happening elsewhere in his firm/industry, it is not enough for peace-loving Muslims to say "Well, we're not terrorists" and turn a blind eye to those teaching their young that violence against unbelievers is required by Islam.

"No man is an island / Entire unto himself" etc etc.....
  • Options
    edited July 2016

pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

Not really. But it seems irrelevant to me. Most mass casualty terrorist attacks are perpetrated in the name of Allah. They helpfully tell us this by shouting Allah Akbar while doing it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,543
    Y0kel said:

Canada was a gang fight.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:
    It's not answers the French want. Words are easy. It's actions they want.

[Snipped]

And if the peaceful Muslims complain about being vilified in all this, I would say that this is what always happens when the good people in a community do not speak up about the bad people. The bad drives out the good. The innocent suffer. It's not right and it's unfair. But it happens - as it has to plenty of good bankers who did not lie and cheat and commit fraud and waste money. So if the good don't want that unfair vilification to happen they need to make their voices heard and their actions count. Turning a blind eye; saying "I'm not a violent terrorist and I abhor violence and this is not what my religion means" is not enough, however true it is. A culture changes for the better when the people in it take the steps to drive out the bad and change the way they think and behave. Part of the frustration some feel is that they don't see this happening.

All of this may be hugely unfair to lots of people. But at this moment many French people who have seen the bodies of children and others crushed to death by a lorry on their national holiday are not very concerned about being hugely unfair.

Being hugely unfair to lots of people doesn't usually work out well.
    It did in banking. It was precisely because all bankers were viewed as crooks by the public, governments and regulators that those in the industry who weren't crooks and were fed up with having their good names tarnished finally realised that they needed to take action to change the reality.

So concerned have we been about there not being a backlash against ordinary innocent Muslims that we have allowed them not to feel the consequences of having their good name tarnished by the bad guys and, therefore, not to feel the need to do something to change the reality.

Just as it is not enough for the good banker to say "Well, I'm not a crook" and turn a blind eye to what is happening elsewhere in his firm/industry, it is not enough for peace-loving Muslims to say "Well, we're not terrorists" and turn a blind eye to those teaching their young that violence against unbelievers is required by Islam.

"No man is an island / Entire unto himself" etc etc.....
    Bankers may be unpopular but even I wouldn't compare them to mass murderers.
  • Options
    Robert_Of_SheffieldRobert_Of_Sheffield Posts: 207
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

You have to go back a number of centuries to find the Christian equivalent. I was surprised to find out recently that 8 million people died during the 30 Years' War.

Really? Wow. Was that a religious war?
    It began as a religious war, when largely protestant Bohemia was inherited by a catholic prince who didn't believe in tolerating heretics, but by the time France under Cardinal Richelieu was supporting the protestant powers it had become primarily a conflict between France and Austria, both catholic powers.

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Y0kel said:

Canada was a gang fight.
    I stand corrected.
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

Sorry but I hold the likes of you to blame somewhat.
  • Options
    Also, Feersum Enjin was Iain M. Bank's worst novel by a mile. Completely unreadable conceit. I speak as a fan of the Culture novels.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

You have to go back a number of centuries to find the Christian equivalent. I was surprised to find out recently that 8 million people died during the 30 Years' War.

Really? Wow. Was that a religious war?
    It began as a religious war, when largely protestant Bohemia was inherited by a catholic prince who didn't believe in tolerating heretics, but by the time France under Cardinal Richelieu was supporting the protestant powers it had become primarily a conflict between France and Austria, both catholic powers.

It gave us fantastic history though. Gustavus Adolphus. The Defenestration of Prague. The Rape of Magdeburg. Bethlen Gabor.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    AndyJS said:

New MP for Tooting, Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, voted in favour of Trident.

And she laughed at Cameron's joke in the HoC.

That's twice she has impressed me though it doesn't take much with Labour MPs at the moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I've some good Muslim friends and there are plenty of moderates.

But Islam has a rotten core. The problem is that they think the Qur'an is the literal words of Allah through the angel to the prophet. So there's bugger all they can do to change it. In fact it's utter heresy to suggest as much. And the Qur'an doesn't have nice things to say about unbelievers, Jews and homosexuals.

There's no getting away from the fact that it's an inherently intolerant religion, with violent elements, albeit with 'some' good people.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Is there usually this many unstable people on stage at the RNC?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016
    Tim_B said:

pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

It does get a bit monotonous - would be a change to have an attack on behalf of The Assembly of the Prophet in Market Harborough, or Our Lady Of Perpetual Responsibility in Fenny Drayton.
    In India there are plenty of terrorist attacks carried out by non Muslims, not that their media report them.
  • Options
    Dunno but I would vote for Trump right now.

I might not admit it to pollsters and friends mind you. As Mike says, it's like the Leavers again ...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,431

I might not admit it to pollsters and friends mind you. As Mike says, it's like the Leavers again ...

Maybe they'll have to skip a generation before the National Trump becomes acceptable. Ivanka could be the first President Trump.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Tim_B said:

pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

In India there are plenty of terrorist attacks carried out by non Muslims, not that their media report them.
    Mumbai (2008) was carried out by Muslims.
  • Options

nunu said:

Tim_B said:

pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

Didn't say Muslims don't carry out attacks in India just that MOST terror attacks are by non Muslims.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Tim_B said:

pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

Didn't say Muslims don't carry out attacks in India just that MOST terror attacks are by non Muslims.
    Define MOST
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:
    'Mohamed Mohamed, Ali Abbari'

Whats with the muslim fashion for using blimmin Mohamed so much as a first and second name ?
    Christians don't bother with "Jesus Jesus Christ Smith"...
    What about Boutros Boutros (Peter Peter) Ghali?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Whats with the muslim fashion for using blimmin Mohamed so much as a first and second name ?
    Abdullah Abdullah :)
  • Options
    http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/01/08/3609796/islamist-terrorism-europe/

An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims. In actuality, 42 percent of terror attacks were carried out by Latino-related groups, followed by 24 percent perpetrated by extreme left-wing actors.

http://scroll.in/article/718458/most-extremists-in-india-are-not-muslim-they-are-hindu
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Abdullah Abdullah :)
    :) Actually, the second T in MTimT does not stand for another Tim ... But Timothy is indeed Abdullah
  • Options
    nunu said:
    You do realise that India is 80% Hindu and only 13% Muslim?
  • Options
    Re the celcius/farenheit earlier, there maybe a serious point to be made about the consequences of not reporting degrees farenheit with regard to the
    elderly.
  • Options

nunu said:
    So? My point still stands the way things are reported is highly skewed.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?
  • Options

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?
    It is reported as if all terrorists/ extremists are Muslim. Most people won't believe those figures I just posted because of what the mainstream media report, I was surprised by those figures as well.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,339
    One Con MP voted against Trident - Crispin Blunt.
  • Options
    Why London used to vote Tory but now votes Labour.
    Middle-income is defined as a household income of £25,700 for a couple with one child, £30,000 for two children and £34,300 for three children.

Of this group, half are now renters rather than owner occupiers. Twenty years ago, under John Major's government, 69 per cent owned their own home.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3696623/amp/May-s-challenge-Middle-class-families-children-new-poor-says-IFS.html?client=ms-android-oneplus#
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?
    It is reported as if all terrorists/ extremists are Muslim. Most people won't believe those figures I just posted because of what the mainstream media report, I was surprised by those figures as well.
    The big spectaculars in recent years were almost all carried out by Muslims.

2008 Mumbai - 172 dead
    2006 Mumbai - 209 dead
    1993 Mumbai - 257 dead

You have to go way back to 1985 to find a Sikh extremist bombing of such scale, Air India flight 182 - 329 dead.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,939
    nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?
    People overestimate the risk of terrorism enormously. It's difficult to see what can be done about that though...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/23/youre-more-likely-to-be-fatally-crushed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/
  • Options

nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?

2008 Mumbai - 172 dead
    2006 Mumbai - 209 dead
    1993 Mumbai - 257 dead

You have to go way back to 1985 to find a Sikh extremist bombing of such scale, Air India flight 182 - 329 dead.
    Gujarat riots? Were they not extremists? Oh and the train that was burnt was an accident, unlike what was reported.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?
    People overestimate the risk of terrorism enormously. It's difficult to see what can be done about that though...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/23/youre-more-likely-to-be-fatally-crushed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/
    The real risk is of creeping political concessions to 'moderates', not terrorism per se.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?

2008 Mumbai - 172 dead
    2006 Mumbai - 209 dead
    1993 Mumbai - 257 dead

Gujarat riots? Were they not extremists? Oh and the train that was burnt was an accident, unlike what was reported.
    Yes of course they were extremists, no one is defending the sickening slaughter.

As for the train at Godhra:

The commission set up by the Government of Gujarat to investigate the train burning spent 6 years going over the details of the case, and concluded that the fire was arson committed by a mob of 1000 to 2000 people.[3] A commission appointed by the central government, whose appointment was later held to be unconstitutional, stated that the fire had been an accident.[4] A court convicted 31 Muslims for the incident and the conspiracy for the crime,[5] although the actual causes of the fire have yet to be proven conclusively.[6][7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godhra_train_burning

BTW, Mohammed Ali Jinnah started religious riots in India, way back in 1946. I think he was a Muslim:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Action_Day
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?
    Pretty daft comment. You were more likely to be killed by a donkey than die as a civilian from WWII but that doesn't make it an insignificant event in human history.

Terrorism also does something other than kill: it invokes terror.

And heaven help us if they manage to detonate a dirty or chemical bomb, which they are intent on doing.

Make no mistake: radical Islam wishes to wipe out the west. Those who are 'still' trying to downplay this are no better than Chamberlain's appeasers. Your day has gone.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/01/08/3609796/islamist-terrorism-europe/

An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims. In actuality, 42 percent of terror attacks were carried out by Latino-related groups, followed by 24 percent perpetrated by extreme left-wing actors.

http://scroll.in/article/718458/most-extremists-in-india-are-not-muslim-they-are-hindu

Again a pretty wayward post. Radical Islam has not yet managed to infiltrate the U.S. as much as it would wish. Europe is a different story.

The tide is clear. If and when the extremists get more traction in the US the attacks will increase.

The coffee can be smelt from 3000 miles away.
  • Options
    Melania is knocking it out of the park by all accounts.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/755228502475976705
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,939

rkrkrk said:

Pretty daft comment. You were more likely to be killed by a donkey than die as a civilian from WWII but that doesn't make it an insignificant event in human history.

And heaven help us if they manage to detonate a dirty or chemical bomb, which they are intent on doing.

Make no mistake: radical Islam wishes to wipe out the west. Those who are 'still' trying to downplay this are no better than Chamberlain's appeasers. Your day has gone.

Number of civilians killed in WWII... estimate of 50-55 million by wikipedia.
    Number of people killed by donkeys... I don't know but hard to imagine it's all that many!

If my comment was daft then....
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,351

rkrkrk said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:
    How is it highly skewed?

The only way radical Islam will win is if we fall into the trap they are trying to set for us by pursuing far-right, populist policies against the Muslim population.
This discussion has been closed.