Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears as though there could be a deal on who’ll fight

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Daily Express using Farenheit...I blame Brexit.

I look forward to the first paper reporting a heatwave in Kelvin!
    "Britain to Bake in 308 Degree Heatwave"
    Tut tut. The Kelvin scale doesn't have 'degrees' :p
    Some PBers have some shocking knowledge when it comes to science, fortunately you and I are here to educate them, as we saw in yesterday's thread header
    SeanT wants us gone you know.
    He's gone through this phase before.

I remember when he wanted to intern all Muslims, or anyone who looked like a Muslim
    No, you're fine. I just want to slowly and gently remove ALL Muslims who show any kind of adherence to any form of conservative Islam. So we ban sharia, ban niqabs, ban the burqa, close hardline mosques, prohibit new mosques, demolish minarets, completely ban any new Muslim immigration, make prayer hard to do, make halal food illegal, fiercely prosecute cousin marriage, FGM, anti-white pedophile racist gangrape, all that shit you people like. blahblahblah

Basically we make YOUR delightful religious life and traditions very hard to do in OUR country.

If you are willing to stay here after all that, then you can be considered a tolerable element in the UK, and you can stay. If not, bye.
    @SeanT

Dear me! You should know full well that Islam has nothing to do with Islam!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

If the ZDF report is accurate, Merkel is going to be in big big do do.

Why? She survived the political consequences of all the NY's Eve attacks. Why wouldn't she survive this?

There have been relatively few political consequences of terrorism in Western Europe. About the only example I can think of is the Spanish election result following the Madrid train bombings. And that was in large part because of the wholly inept response by the government. But elsewhere there has been nothing really.

Sure parties like the FN have got more votes but actual power? Changes in policy? Not so much or perhaps not yet.

And maybe that's the issue: there are widespread concerns about whether we have got the right approach to / combination of immigration / integration / multi-culturalism etc and some politicians have responded, some more effectively than others (I would credit Cameron with the way he has approached the matter) but very few politicians have suffered electorally as a result of the public's discontent and, therefore, little has changed. In that respect it may be like the EU - never high on the list of people's major concerns but when, finally, the people get to vote on it, the results surprise us.

Maybe this issue will be similar: grumbling for years and years until eventually something snaps. But I dread to think what the '"something snaps" might be in this context.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    AndyJS said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

"RAMPAGE IN WÜRZBURG
    Afghan (17) attacked by train with ax
    ++ He shouted "Allahu Akbar" ++ perpetrators shot ++ Three seriously injured ++ 14 passengers in shock ++"

http://www.bild.de/news/2016/amoklauf/amok-wuerzburg-46881746.bild.html

The train attacked the 17 year old Afghan with an axe?
    Google Translate isn't perfect but you get the essentials.
    :smile:
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    BigIan said:

Actually, it's the atomic nuclei that stop vibrating. The electrons are always moving, insofar as they can be considered to be discrete particles.

Electrons move really well at those temperatures: superconductivity.
    I thought the current idea was that electrons don't actually move - they teleport?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

"RAMPAGE IN WÜRZBURG
    Afghan (17) attacked by train with ax
    ++ He shouted "Allahu Akbar" ++ perpetrators shot ++ Three seriously injured ++ 14 passengers in shock ++"

http://www.bild.de/news/2016/amoklauf/amok-wuerzburg-46881746.bild.html

The train attacked the 17 year old Afghan with an axe?
    Google Translate isn't perfect but you get the essentials.
    Reminds of German lessons in school:

,,Den Mann bisst der Hund'' :)
  • Options
    BigIan said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

I was completely unaware of that. Is there an interesting reason why this is? Or is it just some boring Physics reason?
    I fear it is the latter :D

Edit:

The omission of "degree" indicates that it is not relative to an arbitrary reference point like the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales (although the Rankine scale continued to use "degree Rankine"), but rather an absolute unit of measure which can be manipulated algebraically (e.g. multiplied by two to indicate twice the amount of "mean energy" available among elementary degrees of freedom of the system).

Confirmed!
    Absolute zero is -273 kelvin. One would presume that is arbitrary reference point?
    It is absolute not arbitrary. Electons stop moving at that point.
    Actually, it's the atomic nuclei that stop vibrating. The electrons are always moving, insofar as they can be considered to be discrete particles.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    RobD said:

Sky news saying German minister confirming that the attacker on the train was a refugee.

"Danke, Germany for letting me into your wonderful country! Now I'll just attack some of your citizens!"
    You have to wonder about the mindset of some of these people.
    What about the guy from my area of bradford who travelled all the way to scotland to murder the shopkeeper,all because he thought the man insulted his way of teaching of islam.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

BigIan said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

I was completely unaware of that. Is there an interesting reason why this is? Or is it just some boring Physics reason?

Edit:

The omission of "degree" indicates that it is not relative to an arbitrary reference point like the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales (although the Rankine scale continued to use "degree Rankine"), but rather an absolute unit of measure which can be manipulated algebraically (e.g. multiplied by two to indicate twice the amount of "mean energy" available among elementary degrees of freedom of the system).

Confirmed!
    Absolute zero is -273 kelvin. One would presume that is arbitrary reference point?
    Indeed.
    Absolute zero can't be achieved, therefore how electrons move (or not) at that temperature is unknowable I think....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    Cyclefree said:

Why? She survived the political consequences of all the NY's Eve attacks. Why wouldn't she survive this?

There have been relatively few political consequences of terrorism in Western Europe. About the only example I can think of is the Spanish election result following the Madrid train bombings. And that was in large part because of the wholly inept response by the government. But elsewhere there has been nothing really.

Sure parties like the FN have got more votes but actual power? Changes in policy? Not so much or perhaps not yet.

And maybe that's the issue: there are widespread concerns about whether we have got the right approach to / combination of immigration / integration / multi-culturalism etc and some politicians have responded, some more effectively than others (I would credit Cameron with the way he has approached the matter) but very few politicians have suffered electorally as a result of the public's discontent and, therefore, little has changed. In that respect it may be like the EU - never high on the list of people's major concerns but when, finally, the people get to vote on it, the results surprise us.

Maybe this issue will be similar: grumbling for years and years until eventually something snaps. But I dread to think what the '"something snaps" might be in this context.
    Sorry I should have clarified I was being sarcastic. As you accurate state, nothing happened so far, and I keep referring to nothing changes.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Who are these people? Which is worse, a sect or a cult? It's certainly not an actual political party any longer.

There's a parasitic liver fluke that infects ants. Each evening, it manipulates the ant's nervous system to force it to climb up a blade of grass, and then locks its mandibles in place. It repeats this every evening until the ant is eaten by a ruminant. The fluke completes its life cycle within said ruminant.

It's like a parable.
    Why, I wonder, did God think of that? An odd thought in the creation process?
    Evolution moves in mysterious ways its wonders to perform :). The fluke forces the ant down as the sun rises - it dies if the temperature becomes too warm.

Poor ants. They have the most gruesome parasites going.
    It's not just ants. We humans may also be susceptible to behaviour modification. There's evidence that the parasite responsible for toxoplasmosis, Toxoplasma gondii, tends to make its carriers more likely to engage in risk-taking behaviour. The parasite is carried by cats and other felines, and is passed on to humans through contact with their faeces.

It's hypothesised that this effect stems from the time when humans were subject to being eaten by lions and other large cats. Increased risk-taking would have made the human carrier more likely to end up as a tiger's dinner, thus completing the life cycle of the parasite.

Cat ownership really can affect your brain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/toxoplasma-gondii-parasite-that-breeds-in-cats-could-affect-human-behaviour-when-it-infects-people-a6861221.html
    That's very interesting - I was only vaguely aware of that.

Apparently we're also susceptible to manipulation by our gut bacteria. Having read a lot of Peter Watts, I'm not entirely convinced we're captains of our selves. Much of the time we're merely rationalising actions that something else initiated ;).
    Any cat "owner" knows perfectly well that cats are able to turn humans into their servants.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131
    Lowlander said:

eek said:

vik said:

The "deal" between Smith & Eagle is completely pointless in an AV system, and just makes the leadership plot look even sleazier.

It's not pointless. It avoids the issue that occurred last time round when 3 candidates attacked each other whilst Corbyn sneaked down the left wing..... By the time the other candidates noticed it was too late...

Plus if the election is 1 attempt and out it means you aren't losing all the plausible candidates if they are adopting that multiple attempts approach...
    He didn't sneak anywhere. He won a landslide of votes and didn't even need three quidders to win.

I think it is also pretty ridiculous to imagine that Smith and Eagle would not end up attacking one another. The very fact Smith is standing is an attack on Eagle's fitness to lead Labour (and probably a very justified attack).
    True but none of the other candidates noticed the problem until he was in a winning position.... Some on here noticed what was happening no-one else did..
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    44% of the PLP are women, you'd think that would put Eagle in a very strong position. I'm surprised she's 20/1 with Betfair.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Who are these people? Which is worse, a sect or a cult? It's certainly not an actual political party any longer.

There's a parasitic liver fluke that infects ants. Each evening, it manipulates the ant's nervous system to force it to climb up a blade of grass, and then locks its mandibles in place. It repeats this every evening until the ant is eaten by a ruminant. The fluke completes its life cycle within said ruminant.

It's like a parable.
    Why, I wonder, did God think of that? An odd thought in the creation process?
    Evolution moves in mysterious ways its wonders to perform :). The fluke forces the ant down as the sun rises - it dies if the temperature becomes too warm.

Poor ants. They have the most gruesome parasites going.
    It's not just ants. We humans may also be susceptible to behaviour modification. There's evidence that the parasite responsible for toxoplasmosis, Toxoplasma gondii, tends to make its carriers more likely to engage in risk-taking behaviour. The parasite is carried by cats and other felines, and is passed on to humans through contact with their faeces.

It's hypothesised that this effect stems from the time when humans were subject to being eaten by lions and other large cats. Increased risk-taking would have made the human carrier more likely to end up as a tiger's dinner, thus completing the life cycle of the parasite.

Cat ownership really can affect your brain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/toxoplasma-gondii-parasite-that-breeds-in-cats-could-affect-human-behaviour-when-it-infects-people-a6861221.html
    That's very interesting - I was only vaguely aware of that.

Apparently we're also susceptible to manipulation by our gut bacteria. Having read a lot of Peter Watts, I'm not entirely convinced we're captains of our selves. Much of the time we're merely rationalising actions that something else initiated ;).
    Any cat "owner" knows perfectly well that cats are able to turn humans into their servants.

Nonsense :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brexit was an ENORMOUS "snap" - by the people most likely to be brave, individualistic and proud enough to say FUCK YOU to the elite consensus. The English. I have never been more convinced that my BREXIT vote was morally right.

Islam is a sickening religion, and if Merkel is going to unilaterally let in 1m Muslims a year to Europe, we have no choice but to put up the barriers.

We did right.

Given how your view on Brexit has shifted so often in the past few weeks, can I ask if you have picked a mosque at which you will be converting and pledging your life to Allah?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

Brexit was an ENORMOUS "snap" - by the people most likely to be brave, individualistic and proud enough to say FUCK YOU to the elite consensus. The English. I have never been more convinced that my BREXIT vote was morally right.

Islam is a sickening religion, and if Merkel is going to unilaterally let in 1m Muslims a year to Europe, we have no choice but to put up the barriers.

We did right.

Given how your view on Brexit has shifted so often in the past few weeks, can I ask if you have picked a mosque at which you will be converting and pledging your life to Allah?
    chuckle
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    Yes, but those people will be slightly poorer and there will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth and libertarians will be dangling from every lamp post. Then they'll be sorry. Just you wait. Oh yes.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

44% of the PLP are women, you'd think that would put Eagle in a very strong position. I'm surprised she's 20/1 with Betfair.

So was I, but I think my tenner is a losing bet.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    SeanT said:

Been out most of today, I'm assuming this has been mentioned, I do love the choice of Justices

https://twitter.com/JoshuaRozenberg/status/755030265928507392

Are you still here?
    Like a persistent STD
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Been out most of today, I'm assuming this has been mentioned, I do love the choice of Justices

Are you still here?
    Like a persistent STD
    Go.
    Islam has nothing to do with Islam!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

BigIan said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Edit:

Confirmed!
    Indeed.
    Absolute zero can't be achieved, therefore how electrons move (or not) at that temperature is unknowable I think....
    As Lowlander implied below, you can't really talk about electrons moving or not moving under such conditions. Remember that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle says that you can't precisely know both the position and momentum of an electron at any one time. If the electron were stationary, then its location would be completely undefined.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Are you still here?
    Like a persistent STD
    Go.
    TSE has vital strategic knowledge of AV. It would be unthinkable to let such knowledge fall into the hands of foreign princes/potentates.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420
    edited July 2016
    Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

We did right.

Until there's a Muhammadan sect that permits bevvying, ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

BigIan said:

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Edit:

Confirmed!
    Indeed.
    Under classical mechanics, an object colder than absolute zero would be required to create one at absolute zero. Under quantum mechanics, electrons go fast but exhibit various quantum effects more like a wave than a particle, which makes any generalisation of their behaviour at absolute zero rather difficult (indeed, it is easier to define under absolute zero!).
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Are you still here?
    Like a persistent STD
    Go.
    TSE has vital strategic knowledge of AV. It would be unthinkable to let such knowledge fall into the hands of foreign princes/potentates.
    The same AV wot was rejected by the UK electorate in 2011 by a margin of 68% to 32%?
    That AV?

:lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    Yes, but those people will be slightly poorer and there will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth and libertarians will be dangling from every lamp post. Then they'll be sorry. Just you wait. Oh yes.
    This horrible Muslim terrorist shit is fast overtaking any Brexit blues bollocks. It's epochal. Witness the French girl in the press today saying "close the borders, like the English"
    I get the feeling that the French population are at breaking point. There is no answer that Western governments can give that will calm their fears, they're just waiting for the next attack. The trouble is, radical Islamic groups want us to hate all Muslims, and I can't see how they won't achieve that aim.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    Have you ever met any normal Muslims?
    Spoiler: They are exactly the same as us.
    Stop projecting your unease onto decent people who happen to follow another religion.
    Lord knows Christians have enough skeletons in the closet regarding human rights.
    This idea that it is because they are Muslims rather than because they are human!
    You reactionary fool! It's people that do evil to one another. Not religions.

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

You have two states of consciousness:
    Panic
    Hate
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Chameleon said:

SeanT said:

Chameleon said:

Why do we reckon the attacker in Germany did what he did?

SeanT said:

I want Muslims to LEAVE. Fuck them. Kick them out. UGH

All of them, every one of them. Let them go hence.

Not really acceptable dear chap. One of easiest ways to turn co-operative integrating muslims into west-hating jihadis is to villanise all of them
    If it is another Islamist attack, I stand by my sentiments.

Enough now.

Western policy should be gently oriented towards the ultimate goal of peaceably removing most Muslims from the western world. Let them prosper in the Middle East. Good luck to them. The idea of happy coexistence, between Islam and plural secularity, within a liberal Europe, is a fond delusion. A delusion which has ended.

Except for the faint of brain.

Instead of targeting Muslims we need to target the sources of funding for extreme Islam. Saudi Arabia, until we do that we're fucked. If we cut off the money supply for extreme versions of Islam then Muslims, like most other religions in the UK will slowly become a smaller and smaller part of Muslims' lives.
    Delusional. You don't understand religion.

We have to remove them.
    Whatever the difficulties have always been with integration, Islamism wasn't a major problem here till the 1980s. The mass propaganda campaign has made a real difference.
    Satanic Verses kicked it off, IIRC.
    I don't think that can be considered a bolt of lightning that came from nowhere.
    Remember Ray Honeyford, long before the Rushdie fatwa? He pointed out the problems there were with having communities living here who refused to integrate and he pointed out the issues with girls being taken out of school to be married to distant cousins who then settled in Britain. And look at all the abuse he got.

And yet if we had listened to him and thought sensibly about what he was saying and acted on it we might have avoided the problems we have had since then. Too many ifs, alas. We are where we are. Still, just because it is difficult now is no excuse for inaction.

He was a real hate figure for the 'bien pensant' British left. What scum they are.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    This horrible Muslim terrorist shit is fast overtaking any Brexit blues bollocks. It's epochal. Witness the French girl in the press today saying "close the borders, like the English"
    I'm perfectly happy with my vote. Not everyone wants to sell their soul for a mess of pottage.

I feel sorry for the French. Their intelligence services have always been crap, and there's too many of 'em. Added to that, their political leadership is just dire. Hollande would just about scrape through as a mediocre building society manager.

I've peddled this before but FoM is Europe's second amendment issue. Obsoleted by changing times and technology.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    Stop projecting your unease onto decent people who happen to follow another religion.
    Lord knows Christians have enough skeletons in the closet regarding human rights.
    This idea that it is because they are Muslims rather than because they are human!

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Muslims are exactly the same as us - until you start questioning their religion.
  • Options

RobD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Are you still here?
    Like a persistent STD
    Go.
    The same AV wot was rejected by the UK electorate in 2011 by a margin of 68% to 32%?
    That AV?

:lol:
    The problem was the first past the post nature of the AV referendum.... If multiple options had been available ranked in order of preference things would have been different*

* The result would have been announced 2 days later due to the complexity of the counting required...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

As any fule no, the three laws of thermodynamics are:

1. You can never win, you can only ever break even.

2. You can only break even at absolute zero.

3. You can never get to absolute zero.
  • Options
    John_M said:
    Has that just happened?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

John_M said:
    Has that just happened?
    Yesterday, but perps weren't named.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    John_M said:
    Mohamed mohamed? God damn you quebec independence fanatics.
  • Options
    John_M said:
    'Mohamed Mohamed, Ali Abbari'

Whats with the muslim fashion for using blimmin Mohamed so much as a first and second name ?
    Christians don't bother with "Jesus Jesus Christ Smith"...
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Muslims are exactly the same as us - until you start questioning their religion.
    Oh do fuck off.
    Muslims are good people.
    Christians are good people.
    Hindus are good people.

Newsflash: There are also bad people from all of the above.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,930
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Whats with the muslim fashion for using blimmin Mohamed so much as a first and second name ?
    Jesus is a pretty common name in Spain.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Answer

Yes
    Yes
    Ach
    Who Cares
    Idiot
    Touched a nerve. ☺
  • Options
    If the french made all the occupants of the jungle near calais french citizens we couldnt stop them entering the uk could we?
  • Options

If the french made all the occupants of the jungle near calais french citizens we couldnt stop them entering the uk could we?

No.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    Trump called Romney's 2012 convention 'the most boring he had ever seen', so expect plenty of showbiz and drama in Cleveland this week
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Both Owen Smith and Angela Eagle voted for Trident....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,323
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

I'm perfectly happy with my vote. Not everyone wants to sell their soul for a mess of pottage.

I feel sorry for the French. Their intelligence services have always been crap, and there's too many of 'em. Added to that, their political leadership is just dire. Hollande would just about scrape through as a mediocre building society manager.

I've peddled this before but FoM is Europe's second amendment issue. Obsoleted by changing times and technology.
    Yes and no. It's movement into Europe's external border that people are really concerned about. We need a real 'fortress Europe', protectionism for security rather than economics.
  • Options
    I didn't know Crispin Blunt was anti-Trident.
  • Options
    eek said:

AndyJS said:
    Almost as if the Conservatives want Corbyn to win...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

That always puzzled me - if the guy was Jewish, how come he had a hispanic name?
  • Options
    eek said:

AndyJS said:
    It is Labour party policy.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

He wasn't per se, he thinks the money should be spent on our conventional forces
  • Options

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Yes and no. It's movement into Europe's external border that people are really concerned about. We need a real 'fortress Europe', protectionism for security rather than economics.
    Stopping the movement of people won't stop the movement of ideologies.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Oh do fuck off.
    Muslims are good people.
    Hindus are good people.

Of COURSE most Muslims are good people. Just like most Germans were good people in 1937. But did we trust Germans in 1937? Or 1940? Or 1944? No. Because their identity had been seized by a diseased ideology which, sadly, made them all untrustworthy.

I doubt that more than 10% of Germans were active Nazis, maybe only 5%. But enough believed, and enough acquiesced, in the perversion of German nationalism that was Hitlerism, to make German-ness itself a threat to western liberty. Such that Germans were automatically interned and mistrusted in the UK, during the war.

We are now VERY close to that happening in Europe, vis a vis Muslims. For the exact same reasons. Their faith has been infected by evil radicalism, and too many Muslims have tacitly tolerated this, for too long.
    Someone sound the Godwin's law klaxon.
  • Options

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I get the feeling that the French population are at breaking point. There is no answer that Western governments can give that will calm their fears, they're just waiting for the next attack. The trouble is, radical Islamic groups want us to hate all Muslims, and I can't see how they won't achieve that aim.
    It's not answers the French want. Words are easy. It's actions they want.

I don't care what radical Islamic groups want. I certainly don't think we should not do something just because it's what the radical Islamics want us to do. If we do nothing, they think we are weak and if we do something we'll be accused of oppression and our actions will be used to justify whatever they do. We will be blamed regardless. So we should work out the best way of achieving our objectives and get on with it.

And if the peaceful Muslims complain about being vilified in all this, I would say that this is what always happens when the good people in a community do not speak up about the bad people. The bad drives out the good. The innocent suffer. It's not right and it's unfair. But it happens - as it has to plenty of good bankers who did not lie and cheat and commit fraud and waste money. So if the good don't want that unfair vilification to happen they need to make their voices heard and their actions count. Turning a blind eye; saying "I'm not a violent terrorist and I abhor violence and this is not what my religion means" is not enough, however true it is. A culture changes for the better when the people in it take the steps to drive out the bad and change the way they think and behave. Part of the frustration some feel is that they don't see this happening.

All of this may be hugely unfair to lots of people. But at this moment many French people who have seen the bodies of children and others crushed to death by a lorry on their national holiday are not very concerned about being hugely unfair.

• Options

AndyJS said:

He wasn't per se, he thinks the money should be spent on our conventional forces
    His position very similiar to the Lib Dem one on this issue I think.

Anyway at the end of the day he headed through the "No" lobby rather than abstaining.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

Looks like he was the only Tory to vote with the Noes. 7 of 8 LDs voted No with one, Greg Mulholland, abstaining.
  • Options
    John_M said:

No.
    I didnt think so. So ive never really understood why they didnt do that. Im sure theyll be tempted when A50 gets the green light.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Crispin Blunt was the only Tory to vote against. I'm surprised there weren't a few more.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

That always puzzled me - if the guy was Jewish, how come he had a hispanic name?
    That's one for Trump to answer.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Well that's just a blatant lie, religious muslims defend their religion like religious christians, non-religious muslims defend their faith the same way as non-religions christians.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,323

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Stopping the movement of people won't stop the movement of ideologies.
    How many Japanese people are becoming radicalised by reading ISIS propaganda on the internet?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

He also favours a cheaper airborne nuclear capability.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Crispin Blunt was the only Tory to vote against. I'm surprised there weren't a few more.
    Well Conservatives are normally in favour of nuclear weapons :)
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    It'll be interesting to see how many abstained.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

on, and if Merkel is going to unilaterally let in 1m Muslims a year to Europe, we have no choice but to put up the barriers.

We did right.

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Well that's just a blatant lie, religious muslims defend their religion like religious christians, non-religious muslims defend their faith the same way as non-religions christians.
    What was the Christain equivalent of Charlie Hebdo attacks or the Satanic Verses controversy?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:
    Well Conservatives are normally in favour of nuclear weapons :)
    Especially former army officers.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't care what radical Islamic groups want. I certainly don't think we should not do something just because it's what the radical Islamics want us to do. If we do nothing, they think we are weak and if we do something we'll be accused of oppression and our actions will be used to justify whatever they do. We will be blamed regardless. So we should work out the best way of achieving our objectives and get on with it.

And if the peaceful Muslims complain about being vilified in all this, I would say that this is what always happens when the good people in a community do not speak up about the bad people. The bad drives out the good. The innocent suffer. It's not right and it's unfair. But it happens - as it has to plenty of good bankers who did not lie and cheat and commit fraud and waste money. So if the good don't want that unfair vilification to happen they need to make their voices heard and their actions count. Turning a blind eye; saying "I'm not a violent terrorist and I abhor violence and this is not what my religion means" is not enough, however true it is. A culture changes for the better when the people in it take the steps to drive out the bad and change the way they think and behave. Part of the frustration some feel is that they don't see this happening.

All of this may be hugely unfair to lots of people. But at this moment many French people who have seen the bodies of children and others crushed to death by a lorry on their national holiday are not very concerned about being hugely unfair.

Being hugely unfair to lots of people doesn't usually work out well.
  • Options

John_M said:

No.
    I didnt think so. So ive never really understood why they didnt do that. Im sure theyll be tempted when A50 gets the green light.
    They are nominally our allies. Both parties are going to be very sensitive to any perceived hostile action.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    The Ottawa "mass stabbing" tweet isn't quite as it seems. It appears it was a big bust up in a McDonalds, there was a fight between two gangs with just fists. They then met again later, where there was a knife fight.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Er...we used to have that. The V-bombers were retired as the deterrant carrier precisely because modern SAMs are too effective.

There is a reason we moved to missile-based.
  • Options

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Er...we used to have that.

I'm just sayin'.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    Not many, by the looks of it: 322 voted in favour.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Because????????
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Chameleon said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

on, and if Merkel is going to unilaterally let in 1m Muslims a year to Europe, we have no choice but to put up the barriers.

We did right.
    --------

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    What was the Christain equivalent of Charlie Hebdo attacks or the Satanic Verses controversy?
    You have to go back a number of centuries to find the Christian equivalent. I was surprised to find out recently that 8 million people died during the 30 Years' War.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    Just 6 then. Edit: 4.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Er...we used to have that.

I'm just sayin'.
    I know, wasn't aimed at you. I was commenting on the idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    Knock off the two tellers, who don't vote, a couple of MPs in Europe, then its pretty much 99% of Tory MPs in favour
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Because????????
    Erm, I presumed you were being facetious, and answered in kind.
  • Options
    Monty said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

And I'm an atheist.

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Oh do fuck off.
    Muslims are good people.
    Hindus are good people.

All true but trite. Religion inspires people to do all sorts of things. We would like to think that these will be good things: self-sacrifice, charitable work, great kindness and compassion etc. But it can inspire great hatred and evil and violence. Ignoring its role as one of the motivators of human behaviour is silly. We have to deal with the world as it is not as we would like it to be.

If enough people think - whether rightly or wrongly - that Islam requires them to carry out murder and act on that belief then we have a problem. It matters not that this is a wrong interpretation save insofar as that may provide us with a clue as to how to prevent such acts. That others who follow some other religion may also commit murder does not tell us anything useful about how to deal with this particular issue.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Just 6 then.

Possibly fewer, if they were away for some good reason. (As I understand it, pairing has broken down completely because Labour are in such chaos.)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Chameleon said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    --------

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    You have to go back a number of centuries to find the Christian equivalent. I was surprised to find out recently that 8 million people died during the 30 Years' War.
    There are more recent examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
  • Options
    New MP for Tooting, Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, voted in favour of Trident.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Because????????
    Me facetious? Where would you get such an idea?

- was hoping you'd have a pithy reason though..... :smiley:
  • Options

Knock off the two tellers, who don't vote, a couple of MPs in Europe, then its pretty much 99% of Tory MPs in favour

Boris was there, according to the Hansard list.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Chameleon said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    --------

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    Really? Wow. Was that a religious war?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    And Eleanor Laing who by convention doesn't vote
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Chameleon said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

We did right.
    --------

Get over yourself.

Panic
    Hate
    For that oh so special blend of stupidity and religious fanaticism I'd nominate the Salem witch trials in the late 17th century.

The Thirty Years war was Europe's last major religious war, though there were strong religious elements to events like the Vendée rebellion in Napoleonic times.
  • Options

Boris was there, according to the Hansard list.
    Yeah, edited, my mistake,
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    Cancels out Engel ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    Cancels out Engel ?
    Kinda.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Because????????

Fraid not. I just thought it's the sort of question to which Trump, unlike me, would be able to come up with some convolutedly logical answer.
  • Options
    The usually left-wing MP Chi Onwurah voted in favour.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

SeanT said:

Monty said:

weejonnie said:

Monty said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

" A man, whose family was German aristocracy prior to World War II, owned a number of large industries & estates. When asked how many German people were true Nazis, the answer he gave can guide our attitude toward fanaticism.

‘Very few people were true Nazis,’ he said, ‘but many enjoyed the return of German pride, & many more were too busy to care. I was one of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the majority just sat back & let it all happen. Then, before we knew it, they owned us, & we had lost control, & the end of the world had come. My family lost everything. I ended up in a concentration camp & the Allies destroyed my factories.’

We are told again & again by ‘experts’ & ‘talking heads’ that Islam is the religion of peace & that the vast majority of Muslims just want to live in peace. Although this unqualified assertion may be true, it is entirely irrelevant. It is meaningless fluff, meant to make us feel better, & meant to somehow diminish the spectre of fanatics rampaging across the globe in the name of Islam.

The fact is that the fanatics rule Islam at this moment in history. It is the fanatics who march. It is the fanatics who wage any one of 50 shooting wars worldwide. It is the fanatics who systematically slaughter Christian or tribal groups throughout Africa & are gradually taking over the entire continent in an Islamic wave. It is the fanatics who bomb, behead, murder, or honour-kill. It is the fanatics who take over mosque after mosque. It is the fanatics who zealously spread the stoning & hanging of rape victims and homosexuals. It is the fanatics who teach their young to kill & to become suicide bombers.

The hard, quantifiable fact is that the peaceful majority, the ’silent majority,’ is cowed & extraneous.

History lessons are often incredibly simple and blunt, yet for all our powers of reason, we often miss the most basic & uncomplicated of points: Peace-loving Muslims have been made irrelevant by their silence. Peace-loving Muslims will become our enemy if they don’t speak up, because like my friend from Germany , they will awaken one day and find that the fanatics own them, & the end of their world will have begun.

Peace-loving Germans & many others have died because the peaceful majority did not speak up until it was too late. As for us who watch it all unfold, we must pay attention to the only group that counts–the fanatics who threaten our way of life.”

Most of the general public know this, all across the world, but our politicians are in denial & offer only appeasement.

Like the silent Muslims, we remain silent & acquiescent, while our freedoms gradually disappear."

• Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Because????????

Fraid not. I just thought it's the sort of question to which Trump, unlike me, would be able to come up with some convolutedly logical answer.
    Newt's the one who can call black white and make it sound reasonable and logical.
  • Options
    61% of Labour MPs voted in favour of Trident. The rest evenly divided between voting against and abstaining.

twitter.com/faisalislam/status/755159091354435584
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

Being hugely unfair to lots of people doesn't usually work out well.
    It worked in Hiroshima and Hamburg, and Nagasaki and Cologne. We finished Nazism and Japanese Imperialism, forever, by main force. And we were "unfair" to many, in the process.

We're not there yet. Thank God. But I begin to wonder.
    My idea of "work out well" tends to preclude scenarios in which hundreds of thousands of people are burned to a cinder. Your apparent eagerness to escalate so quickly is unnerving.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The sad thing about the Trident, given the utter nonsense spouted by the SNP and Labour opponents, is that there were probably no more than a dozen MPs out of 650 who voted against Trident because it doesn't actually work as a deterrent.

That there can be so few MPs who could recognise the basic truth of the nonsense is the most disappointing aspect of the whole thing.
  • Options
    LIVE - Hair Force One arriving in Cleveland.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    So thats a loner in Canada, a loner in Germany.

That leaves the Dutch and oureselves due I think.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Sky news saying German minister confirming that the attacker on the train was a refugee.

"Danke, Germany for letting me into your wonderful country! Now I'll just attack some of your citizens!"
    You have to wonder about the mindset of some of these people.
    What about the guy from my area of bradford who travelled all the way to scotland to murder the shopkeeper,all because he thought the man insulted his way of teaching of islam.
    Exactly. Hurl them all onto a ferry, ship them to fucking Qatar
    Make it Dubai and you have urself a deal.
This discussion has been closed.