Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears as though there could be a deal on who’ll fight

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears as though there could be a deal on who’ll fight Corbyn

Labour source: Eagle and Smith have agreed that the one with least nominations will withdraw by 5pm tmrw.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,278
    Ftpp

Stephen Colbert is great.

'So Stephen Colbert Crashed The RNC Stage Dressed As Caesar Flickerman From “The Hunger Games”'

http://tinyurl.com/hhvzfqn
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    I just don't think we have enough information about how successful the PLP's Great Purge of the Jezbollah has been to fairly estimate his chances.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    FPT

Justin, Drodomary

Because we are better than them and I spit on your rubbish moral equivalence.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,411
    edited July 2016
    If as seems likely the one to withdraw will be Eagle, Theresa May will doubtless enjoy reminding Labour that in the last 40 years two of the seven Conservative leaders have been women, while no woman has even made the top two of any of the ten Labour leadership contests.

Edit - the disparity is even more embarrassing given that there have been far more women in the PLP than the PCP. Any thoughts on why they seem to get stuck when aiming for the very top?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Ftp because it bears repeating:

I think many polls show this. But the assertion made by some that somehow degree=intelligence is false because many universities in Britain accept students with D grades or even lower.
  • Options
    The Labour Party will never elect a woman.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027

I just don't think we have enough information about how successful the PLP's Great Purge of the Jezbollah has been to fairly estimate his chances.

Its not great.. A January Cut off gives you those who joined in October - December and loses everyone who resigned between October and now...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    While I'm at it, Richard N (have you really read that entire report - hat's off if so?) and SO. Why are you so keen to think that that horrible stuff didn't happen? We know it does in the heartlands. Why so eager to say it didn't happen? SO, certainly one of the bereaved thinks it did. It doesn't stretch credulity. I was going to type then "Mensch, I know". But what if she is right? And even if she isn't. The booing of French politicians in Nice today is a thing, regardless of the truths?

Edited for various idiocies
  • Options
    nunu said:

I think many polls show this. But the assertion made by some that somehow degree=intelligence is false because many universities in Britain accept students with D grades or even lower.

Not necessarily true, although it does depend somewhat on the course you apply for. It should also be noted that some universities still offer nominal grades to students they have decided they want - a friend of mine had an offer of two Es to do physics at Warwick. In theory even Corbyn could have got in with that!

Generally for a proper academic course at a half-decent institution, you need at least a couple of Bs. We've had people repeat year 12 when they don't get that at AS level. But even a rubbishy course at an ex-poly, they will look for at least one C somewhere.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    nunu said:

A good friend of mine deliberately didn't go to university because he thought he'd waste his time playing computer games all day. Instead he went out and got a job at 18 - he's just celebrated 10 years at that company, he has a house, wife and baby boy. He's probably one of the shrewdest people I know and doesn't have a degree. But he did vote remain.
  • Options
    eek said:

Its not great.. A January Cut off gives you those who joined in October - December and loses everyone who resigned between October and now...
    Labour: it comes to something when a party with Marxist-Leninist roots can't even orchestrate a Purge in a Gulag.
  • Options

eek said:

Labour: it comes to something when a party with Marxist-Leninist roots can't even orchestrate a Purge in a Gulag.
    My inner pedant wishes me to point out that those who went to a GULAG had technically already been purged. Further purges were not therefore needful upon arrival.

How about, couldn't organise a strike in a colliery?
  • Options
    O/T
    On the "only a heartbeat away"/major scandal leading to withdrawal scenario, I'm surprised that no bookmaker is currently offering odds against Mike Pence, GOP Vice President nominee elect, becoming the next POTUS. It's a very long shot obviously, but they still have a number of names on their lists other than Clinton and Trump.
  • Options

O/T
    On the "only a heartbeat away"/major scandal leading to withdrawal scenario, I'm surprised that no bookmaker is currently offering odds against Mike Pence, GOP Vice President nominee elect, becoming the next POTUS. It's a very long shot obviously, but they still have a number of names on their lists other than Clinton and Trump.

On that subject, did May ever appoint an official deputy? Or will the Leader of the House stand in in Parliament and Hammond in cabinet in her absence or something?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Having laid Angela, if she pulls out it'll be good for my liquidity.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    So - who will the Corbynistas be nominating? My guess is they will say "time for a woman", knowing that is the solitary card she has to play.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Dadge said:

Stop tittering at the back ....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sorry. I have a few hundred posts but don't regard myself as being in esp good standing here. But I am going to rant about certain posters. Esp those Justin, Drodomary, LG etc.

How many gay posters do we have? Quite a few. So when Justin et al come along and say "oh but aren't the likes of Iran allowed to be treated the same way as us?" I say a resounding NO. They are not as good as us and don't deserve the same rights under international law (if there is such a thing) as us. That's because they would kill half the people posting on here, starting with hanging the gay ones off cranes, soon as look at us and the only thing which keeps the likes of them in check is terrifying military power.

Deep breath.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Is there any evidence that Owen Smith is likely to garner more nominations than Angela Eagle?
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited July 2016

Gosh, this SNP chap on now is dreadful. Speaking at light speed!

The SNPs message on Trident is utterly woeful. Counter-factual nonsense based on an emotional argument which has virtually no relevance.

Perhaps worse, it actually undermines the fundamental argument against Trident. Because it is not capable of the level of damage that the anti-Trident brigade generally talk about, it is not an actual deterrent.

That it is not a deterrent makes the entire debate pointless.
  • Options
    In other news, it seems that there has been a UDI in Scotland.

By Scottish Labour.

https://twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/754975163771420672
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    AndyJS said:

Dadge said:

Is there any evidence that Owen Smith is likely to garner more nominations than Angela Eagle?
    yep about 90 - 60
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Dadge said:

My wife asked what a double entendre was, so I gave her one.
  • Options
    Is there any polling on the current prospect of a border poll succeeding? As I understand it, there is just no support, even post Brexit, for re-unification.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nunu said:

A good friend of mine deliberately didn't go to university because he thought he'd waste his time playing computer games all day. Instead he went out and got a job at 18 - he's just celebrated 10 years at that company, he has a house, wife and baby boy. He's probably one of the shrewdest people I know and doesn't have a degree. But he did vote remain.
    Nobody's perfect. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    pbr2013 said:

While I'm at it, Richard N (have you really read that entire report - hat's off if so?) and SO. Why are you so keen to think that that horrible stuff didn't happen? We know it does in the heartlands. Why so eager to say it didn't happen? SO, certainly one of the bereaved thinks it did. It doesn't stretch credulity. I was going to type then "Mensch, I know". But what if she is right? And even if she isn't. The booing of French politicians in Nice today is a thing, regardless of the truths?

Edited for various idiocies

Remember, it was Nick Griffin who first blew the whistle on Rotherham-style child sex abuse. I bow to no one in my loathing of actual rascists like that. But it turned out he had a point.
  • Options

yep about 90 - 60

Oooopppps .... Sorry ... I thought that was your top and lower end figures for Labour MP's after the next general election with Corbyn as leader.
  • Options
    Great name for the winner of the 7.50 at Windsor

Go On Go On Go On
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

In other news, it seems that there has been a UDI in Scotland.

By Scottish Labour.

https://twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/754975163771420672

Shouldnt that be shadow, shadow cabinet?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,278
    edited July 2016
    Lowlander said:

Is there any polling on the current prospect of a border poll succeeding? As I understand it, there is just no support, even post Brexit, for re-unification.
    No idea, but probably more significant that these noises are being made at that level.
    Fwiw I think a referendum taking place is unlikely, but certainly a deal less unlikely than the Brexiteers' favourite phantasy of a penitent Republic begging to be let back into the Union.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ydoethur said:

nunu said:

Not necessarily true, although it does depend somewhat on the course you apply for. It should also be noted that some universities still offer nominal grades to students they have decided they want - a friend of mine had an offer of two Es to do physics at Warwick. In theory even Corbyn could have got in with that!

Generally for a proper academic course at a half-decent institution, you need at least a couple of Bs. We've had people repeat year 12 when they don't get that at AS level. But even a rubbishy course at an ex-poly, they will look for at least one C somewhere.
    I know someone who got a u in Law at a level but still got in to UCL for Law. He found it difficult. Anyway there has been a huge increase in those going to uni and can tell u from first hand the students have not got any smarter, the smart ones are doing apprenticeships whilst being paid for it unless of course a certain career path necessitates a degree, which unfortunately to move up the ranks these days you need a degree in many businesses.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    edited July 2016
    You'd think they'd be choosing the one with the *fewest* nominations to take on Corbyn. That's what the electorate seems to prefer.
  • Options

Go On Go On Go On

Although the winner of the previous race at Windsor seems a metaphor for when the Labour party might historically win another general election under Corbyn.

Ice Age .... :smiley:

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    It is funny watching Corbyn and his followers demanding obedience to the leadership, whilst constantly subverting it themselves by opposing their own policy in the HoC and preaching to anti-nuclear protesters right outside of it.
  • Options
    Lots of uni courses offer places to students with a D and an E.

I never quite understood where the political mania came from to get everyone into uni. Okay, we need kids with new skills, but why is uni necessarily the place where they'll get them?
  • Options
    nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

I know someone who got a u in Law at a level but still got in to UCL for Law. He found it difficult.
    That was his own damnfool fault for doing Law at (a) A-level and (b) degree level. Should have done a decent humanities subject and a conversion course.

Not that they're easy, not as easy as say physics, but they are at least interesting!
  • Options
    BigIan said:

You'd think they'd be choosing the one with the *fewest* nominations to take on Corbyn. That's what the electorate seems to prefer.

*fewer
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    What was Rasmussen's record like in the 2012 election ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Dadge said:

I never quite understood where the political mania came from to get everyone into uni. Okay, we need kids with new skills, but why is uni necessarily the place where they'll get them?

Thing is, even when I was at school the kids themselves thought the same thing. But onwards it goes.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

It is funny watching Corbyn and his followers demanding obedience to the leadership, whilst constantly subverting it themselves by opposing their own policy in the HoC and preaching to anti-nuclear protesters right outside of it.

Loyalty to the party, even when doing the opposite of the current policy, is perfectly ok. After all, how many talk about what the people obviously want, even when the people never seem to vote for it?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Posting this from Pakistan, where the story seems to be stronger on the internet than in the traditional media (TV, press).

Here is a powerful piece written by an American Pakistani on the honour killing of Qandeel Baloch. Worth reading right through to the end:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/18/murdered-pakistani-icon-qandeel-baloch-had-zero-f-s-left-to-give.html
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

Go On Go On Go On

Although the winner of the previous race at Windsor seems a metaphor for when the Labour party might historically win another general election under Corbyn.

Ice Age .... :smiley:

LOL Good one Jack Thought that was when you had to be a member since to vote
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    Dadge said:

Because it delays people entering the job market....
  • Options
    "Wells Fargo, one of the biggest banks in the US, has agreed to buy an office block in the City of London. It is buying an 11-storey block at 33 Central, King William Street, close to the Bank of England and the River Thames. The financial terms weren't disclosed but Reuters quoted sources close to the deal as valuing it at around £300m."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36826974
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    eek said:

Dadge said:

And the unemployment figures.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Have we had the vote yet ?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    eek said:

Dadge said:

And allows us to say our Youth Unemployment figures are so much better than other EU countries
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

I know someone who got a u in Law at a level but still got in to UCL for Law. He found it difficult.
    That was his own damnfool fault for doing Law at (a) A-level and (b) degree level. Should have done a decent humanities subject and a conversion course.

Not that they're easy, not as easy as say physics, but they are at least interesting!
    No one who wants to be a lawyer should do A Level law. That's what I have told my son who has expressed an interest. Where did I go wrong?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

I am totally unconvinced by this assumption that getting good grades in exams is a reliable indicator of intelligence. While it may have some relationship to intelligence, it is primarily an indicator of ability to take exams.

PS In case you are wondering if this is just sour grapes, I got good grades.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    Quick everyone! A very rare sighting of a Lib Dem MP on BBC Parliament!

*As you were. Now been replaced by 12 year old SNP wallah*
  • Options

LOL Good one Jack Thought that was when you had to be a member since to vote

Absolutely.

Although Corbyn and the dinosaurs of the left are leading their Labour party to extinction as we know it.

• Options
    Christ on a bike. Mhairi Black questioning the safety of the transport of nuclear waste on our railways.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Wells Fargo, one of the biggest banks in the US, has agreed to buy an office block in the City of London. It is buying an 11-storey block at 33 Central, King William Street, close to the Bank of England and the River Thames. The financial terms weren't disclosed but Reuters quoted sources close to the deal as valuing it at around £300m."

Wow!! There's commitment for you.
    Does Juncker really think he can bring down the mighty City of London as Europe's foremost financial centre? ..... Absolutely no chance in my view.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

Does it say where they'll park the stage coach and horses?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

I am totally unconvinced by this assumption that getting good grades in exams is a reliable indicator of intelligence. While it may have some relationship to intelligence, it is primarily an indicator of ability to take exams.

But did you get good enough grades to put photos of your new puppy on Facebook? ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited July 2016
    How predictable panorama exploring trumps rise...and it is just interviewing racists...it is like brexit, racists vote leave, but not all leavers were racist. John Harris video was far superior as it got to underlying reasons why sanders & trump got support.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672

How predictable panorama exploring trumps rise...and it is just interviewing racists...it is like brexit, racists vote leave, but not all leavers were racist. John Harris video was far superior.

Plenty of racists will have voted Remain.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Pulpstar said:

Have we had the vote yet ?

It's at 10pm. Sky are covering it live so they say
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    Should anyone care, here's my big piece on the economic drivers of "The Discontented":

http://www.thstailwinds.com/831-2/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    tlg86 said:

Christ on a bike. Mhairi Black questioning the safety of the transport of nuclear waste on our railways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopK9r83WDU
  • Options

How predictable panorama exploring trumps rise...and it is just interviewing racists...it is like brexit, racists vote leave, but not all leavers were racist. John Harris video was far superior.

Plenty of racists will have voted Remain.
    I know at least two!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Does Juncker really think he can bring down the mighty City of London as Europe's foremost financial centre? ..... Absolutely no chance in my view.
    People like Juncker are terrified Brexit will be a success.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Posting this from Pakistan, where the story seems to be stronger on the internet than in the traditional media (TV, press).

Here is a powerful piece written by an American Pakistani on the honour killing of Qandeel Baloch. Worth reading right through to the end:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/18/murdered-pakistani-icon-qandeel-baloch-had-zero-f-s-left-to-give.html

The country of my fathers.
    Why are u in Pakistan?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited July 2016
    Deleted as already posted up thread
  • Options
    Dadge said:

You don't agree with Silvio then.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

tlg86 said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopK9r83WDU
    Get your facts out of here!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    MTimT said:

I had a look at her facebook page and lots of heavily "liked" comments were supporting her killing (both before, and even more after, the event). The occasional woman, but mostly men. She was getting compared to Malala, but mostly by the people who detested her the most! After all, Malala was another woman who had brought her great nation into disrepute, and the only true Muslim woman in Pakistan was Aafia Siddiqui (currently serving her 86-year sentence at Fort Worth).

Clicking through to the pages of some of the most pro-death chaps, there was a funny mixture of trite'n'folksy homespun wisdom (the type you get a lot on FB, though with a South Asian flavour), rants about the West/America/Jews/slutty women/people who bring shame on Pakistan, and ... a surprising number of pictures of hot women. And lewd comments. Especially lewd women with big breasts. Sometimes just the breasts themselves (tastefullyish done, of course).

Definitely evidence of the sexual frustration hypothesis there.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    I'm not sure it'll improve your mood, but I think the link is a hoot and well worth a read
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

Physics is not easy! I think....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Just as long as you don't lose your deposit.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

But did you get good enough grades to put photos of your new puppy on Facebook? ;)
    Only smart enough for 3. I've uploaded them just now. Including one of Aoife trying to evict him from his crate ... :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Lowlander said:

A Border Poll would result in a 65-75% vote to Remain the UK.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Should anyone care, here's my big piece on the economic drivers of "The Discontented":

http://www.thstailwinds.com/831-2/

Thanks, this website is new to me but it looks interesting.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited July 2016
    Oh panorama claiming dodgy facts uses by racists , then use dodgy facts of their own.

This panorama is rubbish...it is all racists racists racists RACCCCCCIIIISSSSTTTTTS
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_P said:
    I hope we all got 3.75 :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

tlg86 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopK9r83WDU
    I went to a talk from a former railway worker who served his apprenticeship on the railways around Ellesmere Port in the 1970s. He told us of stories of many derailments and crashes including the one at Chester in 1972:

http://tinyurl.com/zh6zhlz

Given the chemical industry in that part of the country, he said he was always worried about something really bad happening - especially involving the movement of tetraethyllead.

We complain about the quality of service on our railways - today has been another shambles - but safety is one area that incredible progress has been made. The railway today is unrecognizable from the one of 40 years ago.
  • Options
    chestnut said:
    Does that mean French women will no longer wear fish nets?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

People like Juncker are terrified Brexit will be a success.
    Indeed, Juncker wants all those zillions of multinationals' profits to be channelled through Luxembourg (population 543,000) forever and ever at a Corporation tax rate of 1% - 2%. A nice little earner if you can get it!
  • Options
    This SNP chap just said we should use Trident funding to undertake more renewables research....and look into digging coal again.
    Erm....
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

Only smart enough for 3. I've uploaded them just now. Including one of Aoife trying to evict him from his crate ... :)
    Fionn is gorgeous. Great Lahore pics too!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Scott_P said:
    I MAXED my bet at 5-1.
  • Options
    It seems only the SNP are still there....they are solving my insomnia though.
  • Options
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all :p
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Sean_F said:

Lowlander said:

A Border Poll would result in a 65-75% vote to Remain the UK.
    Yes. This is fairy story stuff by Sinn Fein and their cousins Fianna Fail
  • Options
    Now the Brits have had the courage to opt for Brexit (it always seems to have to be us as prime movers), expect much more similar sentiment in other EU states over the next couple of years - especially those with elections pending.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

This SNP chap just said we should use Trident funding to undertake more renewables research....and look into digging coal again.
    Erm....

Are you sure he didn't say "digging for turnips" ?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

Fionn is gorgeous. Great Lahore pics too!
    Thanks. He is a handful, but his focus on his person, and desire to please, is the strongest of any of our dogs to date. He will never replace Zopher, but he's going to be a great dog.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HaroldO said:

Erm....

Are you sure he didn't say "digging for turnips" ?
    He did seem to be hinting that he wanted "a great big turnip in the country".
  • Options
    I think HS2 is safe. Theresa and Hammond are supposed to be in favour and Grayling made a supportative statement in radio the other day.

As for consequences of BREXIT. I've read that GM is likely to close Ellesmere Port by 2020, when the replacement model is due and likely to shift to Poland. it's considered the most vulnerable as content is only 25% British. I expect the remaining Ford engine factories are also vulnerable to shifting to the continent too. It will all depends on how much subsidy we offer I suppose.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

I think HS2 is safe. Theresa and Hammond are supposed to be in favour and Grayling made a supportative statement in radio the other day.

As for consequences of BREXIT. I've read that GM is likely to close Ellesmere Port by 2020, when the replacement model is due and likely to shift to Poland. it's considered the most vulnerable as content is only 25% British. I expect the remaining Ford engine factories are also vulnerable to shifting to the continent too. It will all depends on how much subsidy we offer I suppose.

Why would they close a plant which has just gained a cost advantage in the form of a devalued currency? The U.K. is a very important market for GM Europe; would they really risk a backlash? Same for Ford.
  • Options

..... and on how many cars /engines the work force can produce. Isn't the Nissan plant in Sunderland reckoned to be the most efficient of its type in the World?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    I MAXED my bet at 5-1.
    I maxed it at 3.75, before I pissed £40 away on betfair by accident (if you recall)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    edited July 2016
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

(Snip)
    I went to a talk from a former railway worker who served his apprenticeship on the railways around Ellesmere Port in the 1970s. He told us of stories of many derailments and crashes including the one at Chester in 1972:

http://tinyurl.com/zh6zhlz

Given the chemical industry in that part of the country, he said he was always worried about something really bad happening - especially involving the movement of tetraethyllead.

We complain about the quality of service on our railways - today has been another shambles - but safety is one area that incredible progress has been made. The railway today is unrecognizable from the one of 40 years ago.
    It's the near misses that fascinate me. There was a great one from a couple of years ago on the RAIB (the investigating body) site. A train went through a level crossing as an LPG tanker was crossing it. The forward-looking camera on the train (I think most have them now) is shown frame-by-frame.

They don't come closer than that.

See p. 17 of https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c900a40f0b60244000183/R202009_090728_Llanbadarn.pdf
This discussion has been closed.