Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new government, we’re nearly there

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new government, we’re nearly there

Priti Patel is the latest to join Theresa May's new Cabinet #CabinetReshuffle https://t.co/rGGeixOKbo pic.twitter.com/qoWpgO8E3E

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    First like Owen Smith?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Tour de France more of a farce than the labour leadership battle...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    edited July 2016
    Took all my restraint to not describe this as the most pleb government in history
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Farcical scenes at the Tour de France:

twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/753606346440863745
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Where are we with regards to the maximum size of the Cabinet?

With 2 new departments and only 1 being abolished, surely that limit has been exceeded...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    May has really surprised me - a massive recasting of government and a massive power shift away from the Cameroons. Surely they can't be happy?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    It feels like there is a lot less star power in this Cabinet compared to the last one. Getting rid of the Cameroons in totality may be short sighted with such a small majority to defend. Some may seek to leave the house, and in 2020 it will make the gains against the Lib Dems tough to defend.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Pioneers, must say, she's perhaps taking a risk. Wrote on the previous thread that even Alexander was wary of incurring Parmenio's wrath.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Ooh, Karen Bradley is a fellow mathematics almunus from Imperial College. Good to see some actual maths skills in the government.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Took all my restraint to not describe this as the most pleb government in history

Hurrah !

Res publica pleborum

vox populi audiendum est

sine Borisem Etonia delenda est
  • Options

One based more on talent than parents wallets?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2016

But I get the impression that the Froome disaster wasn't self administered.
    Unlike Labour (so far).
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Johnson, Rudd, Fallon, Hunt and Evans the privately educated members.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @twlldun: DEFRA? Send Leadsom to deal with angry farmers complaining about their subsidies being cut?

Troll level: master.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    May ties with Macmillan for sackings.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    MaxPB said:

It feels like there is a lot less star power in this Cabinet compared to the last one. Getting rid of the Cameroons in totality may be short sighted with such a small majority to defend. Some may seek to leave the house, and in 2020 it will make the gains against the Lib Dems tough to defend.

That would be a shame. I mean they've been so effective in Government haven't they?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Toms said:

But I get the impression that the Froome disaster wasn't self administered.
    Unlike Labour (so far).
    https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/753610361304145920

Arf
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Patrick McLoughlin’s rise from coal pits to party chairman is the stuff of books.
  • Options

Hurrah !

Res publica pleborum

vox populi audiendum est

isn't sine followed by the ablative not accusative?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Owen Smith calls for a second referendum because many voters "now regret their decision".

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-candidate-vows-second-vote-on-brexit-n79bxds9z
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Who is Greg Clark ? Never heard of him.

Almost zero Nat fightback to May putting them back in their box last night - the Indy dream is dead for 30-40 years IMHO.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I wonder what Cameron's reshuffle would have looked like if the referendum had tilted the other way. Not much like this, I'd guess!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    Scotland? If it's not Mundell, it's going to be interesting. Apart from nice offices, I believe, it isn't the most rewarding job. Mundell is a nice enough man, but you suspect he is happier checking in on his constituency and turning up to vote rather than be responsible for other people's policies.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    TGOHF said:

Almost zero Nat fightback to May putting them back in their box last night - the Indy dream is dead for 30-40 years IMHO.

Acording to the Telegraph May is off to Scotland tomorrow
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    AndyJS said:

Owen Smith calls for a second referendum because many voters "now regret their decision".

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-candidate-vows-second-vote-on-brexit-n79bxds9z

They have no idea do they - we are going out
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    John_M said:

May ties with Macmillan for sackings.

The summer of the sharp stilettos.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Hurrah !

Res publica pleborum

vox populi audiendum est

you are in all likelihood correct, but TSE doesnt know that :-)
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    TGOHF said:

No fightback because they know just how bad the figures in their next indy white paper would have to look just like everyone else does.

They want to make a fuss about brexit, but they don't actually want indyref2, they have no idea even how to start planning for it.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    FPT:

MP_SE said:

I wish Priti got Chief Whip.

Some of you Tories are a bit weird to say the least.

@GIN1138 Has there ever been a match up of two more unlikeable people?

@numbertwelve Yeah, IDS could go there. I doubt he'll be Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
    "You Tories"

How about "you Labour"? You have a weird leadership problem :)
    Right now I don't think I can really be a part of the Labour party. It's for Corbynites only these days, sadly.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

I think we should have a General Election every month. I would prefer every week but we must give the people and politicians a rest. ;)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

Are you going to eff off and join the Sheffield Hallam LibDems? :lol:
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited July 2016
    It's still 13/14 men and 8 women, by my count.

Ruth for the Scottish Office?!
  • Options

Ooh, Karen Bradley is a fellow mathematics almunus from Imperial College. Good to see some actual maths skills in the government.

Biochemistry, 1997 for me :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489

JohnO said:

Hurrah !

Res publica pleborum

vox populi audiendum est

Considering I've got a thread header for this weekend, delayed from last weekend, which includes 'delenda est' in the headline, I do know.

I might have to start channelling some Catullus 16 now
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited July 2016

JohnO said:

Hurrah !

Res publica pleborum

vox populi audiendum est

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@twlldun: DEFRA? Send Leadsom to deal with angry farmers complaining about their subsidies being cut?

Repeat after me:

"There is no such thing as "EU Money". There is only taxpayers' money!"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Give us a break from this repeated inanity!
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Some interesting choices and perhaps some questionable ones as well. She has the power and the right to choose who she wants and she is clearly stamping her authority in line with her vision for the future. Have to see how it plays out.

The Boris/Fox/Davis triumvirate for me has potential disaster written all over it. They will have to work together on some pats of the negotiations you would think and all three of them might have a different vision for a post UK brexit. On the one hand May might think Brexit is your mess deal with it and if any of those right wing backbenchers kick up a fuss she can just say well I gave your lot the power to sort it out. But on the other hand if it doesn't work out she could still take damage from it, people will question her judgement.

Apart from the Boris decision Hunt remaining in post is probably the most surprising to me. I've been largely supportive of Hunt during the industrial action with the Junior Doctors and now feel it's time to impose the contract. But May could have taken the easy option and delivered a fresh start in replacing him but didn't. I have no doubt the doctors will not take this decision well but they have their own political agenda and nothing may please them.

Osborne? He could come back at some point from this but he will have to want to remain an MP. I would imagine some financial institutions will be looking at his political future with interest. Maybe he will decide he is done with Politics.

Some really big beasts and talented people on the backbenches, I can't imagine Cameron/Osborne/Gove sitting together lol
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Second brexit :p
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Watching the TdF, what a nightmare - why no crowd barriers at the top of the stage? That minute Froome had to wait for his team must have felt like an hour.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Is that it for the Cabinet then?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

People who tweet this kind of shite are morons who know nothing of UK agricultural policies pre-EEC.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

Acording to the Telegraph May is off to Scotland tomorrow
    Some nice pictures with Roof D then a few more wagging a finger at St Nick.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

A response to the inane ramblings about us losing "EU Money". You REMAINERs only have yourselves to blame!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Is it truly egalitarian if there are hardly any former public schoolboys and schoolgirls there? You'd think if it was truly egalitarian, based on merit that there would be some. Penalising people for their parents choices is not egalitarian.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Imperial is a dump. It takes all riff-raff.
  • Options

Is it truly egalitarian if there are hardly any former public schoolboys and schoolgirls there? You'd think if it was truly egalitarian, based on merit that there would be some. Penalising people for their parents choices is not egalitarian.

Four out of twenty, which is still way more than nationally.
  • Options

I wonder what Cameron's reshuffle would have looked like if the referendum had tilted the other way. Not much like this, I'd guess!

Normally reshuffles are a five dimensional puzzle to not upset the incumbents, reward the loyal, encourage those that haven't had preferment and refresh the line up while staying within the fixed number of posts. Even when moving from opposition ministers mostly take the posts they have been shadowing.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scotland & Leader of the house of commons
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Imperial is a dump. It takes all riff-raff.
    No, that's Oxford! (Hat-tip to General Melchett!).
  • Options

Repeat after me:

Where in the post does it day "EU money" ?

It says subsidy, which is the key point...
  • Options
    @jameskirkup: Foreigners get Boris. Farmers get Leadsom. Dfid gets Priti. Doctors keep Hunt. Top trolling from Theresa May. #banter
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Seriously, and please forgive my ignorance, but is not the Commons the only, final, arbiter in British law? Or did Parliament actually approve the referendum to start with? If it was Cameron's choice, or even that of the Tory party, then sod that.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Where in the post does it say "EU money" ?

We are net contributors the EU, remember? To the tune of £8.5 billion in 2015.
  • Options
    Justice (ha, ha) would mean the always steady, invariably reliable and comprehensive boy David Gauke would become Chief Secretary.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Four out of twenty, which is still way more than nationally.
    For top grades educationally, I don't think so.

Based solely on pop, about twice what it should be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

The UK has subsidised its farmers since the year dot. People should try cracking open a history book every now and then.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Hurrah !

Res publica pleborum

vox populi audiendum est

Considering I've got a thread header for this weekend, delayed from last weekend, which includes 'delenda est' in the headline, I do know.

I might have to start channelling some Catullus 16 now
    cur
  • Options
    Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Seriously, and please forgive my ignorance, but is not the Commons the only, final, arbiter in British law? Or did Parliament actually approve the referendum to start with? If it was Cameron's choice, or even that of the Tory party, then sod that.
    The AV referendum was binding, this one was not. They parliament did vote to hold a referendum though, so would be stupid to ignore it.
  • Options

We are net contributors the EU, remember? To the tune of £8.5 billion in 2015.

Also not what the post said or was about. Keep digging.
  • Options
    I voted Remain.

But if there is a second referendum, I will vote leave. I will not be a part of "asking the other parent"
  • Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

People who tweet this kind of shite are morons who know nothing of UK agricultural policies pre-EEC.
    Were farmers and fishermen not the trade most likely to have voted Leave? Apart from the big agri-businesses with full time administrators, farmers all hate the CAP with a passion.
  • Options
    John_M said:

The UK has subsidised its farmers since the year dot.

Which is the bit Sunil seems to having some trouble with...
  • Options
    edited July 2016

That would be sensible.Is it constitutional and can you be in the cabinet if you are not a member of (the Westminster) parliament?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826

GIN1138 said:

Scotland

A 150 year old Scottish Lord with a legendary ARSE waiting for "the call" to serve?

• Options
    This would be a cherry on top...

@jessphillips: Id put a fiver on Anna Soubry or Therese Coffey for Leader of the house
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

A response to the inane ramblings about us losing "EU Money". You REMAINERs only have yourselves to blame!
    Err, no, we Remainers have you to blame. As you'll most probably find out.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Just as soon as the Europhile morons stop talking about 'EU money'.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

That would be sensible.Is it constitutional and can you be in the cabinet if you are not a member of (the Westminster) parliament?
    Not clear. However if Her Majesty appoints, I see no reason why not.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Act was passed last year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Referendum_Act_2015
  • Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

The UK has subsidised its farmers since the year dot. People should try cracking open a history book every now and then.
    Scott has never heard of the Corn Laws.
  • Options
    David Mundell remains Secretary of State for Scotland in @theresa_may's new cabinet
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

The Boris/Fox/Davis triumvirate for me has potential disaster written all over it. They will have to work together on some pats of the negotiations you would think and all three of them might have a different vision for a post UK brexit. ...

I don't think they will have to work particularly closely together on the negotiations. The structure appears to indicate that Boris won't be much involved with the Brexit negotiations at all, that will be DD's responsibility. Meanwhile Fox will be trying to set up deals with the US, China, and other far-off lands. I can see some potential problems of overlap in the Fox/Boris responsibilities, but the EU negotiations seem to be squarely DD's problem. I hope he's up to it, I have my doubts on that.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

The referendum was authorised by the EU Referendum Act 2015, passed by Parliament last year.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Referendum_Act_2015
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

MaxPB said:

That would be a shame. I mean they've been so effective in Government haven't they?
    At least Letwind won't be in charge of implementing Brexit.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Not clear. However if Her Majesty appoints, I see no reason why not.
    Give Davidson a peerage! :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

The AV referendum was binding, this one was not. They parliament did vote to hold a referendum though, so would be stupid to ignore it.
    So this referendum was advisory only?
  • Options

Just as soon as the Europhile morons stop talking about 'EU money'.

There was no mention of "EU money", except by Sunil...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scotland & Leader of the house of commons
    Roof D in the cabinet as an MSP ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Were farmers and fishermen not the trade most likely to have voted Leave? Apart from the big agri-businesses with full time administrators, farmers all hate the CAP with a passion.
    It's hard to be nuanced even on here, never mind Twitter.

Round here, the small farmers (mainly hill farms) are likely to be happy. The bigger agri-businesses will be quaking in their boots. As a rule of thumb, MNCs and large businesses like the EU. At some arbitrary point (which varies by sector) smaller businesses don't.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

[sigh] I was referring to the "repeated inanity"!
  • Options
    Toms said:

RobD said:

Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Yes. But that won't change the fact we'll be leaving.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Overheard in pub earlier.

"The problem we've got is too many foreigners but now Boris is Foreign Secretary he'll take 'em all back with him."

You've got to love the general public.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

The UK has subsidised its farmers since the year dot.

Which is the bit Sunil seems to having some trouble with...
    So we won't be losing any money after all? Good.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Posting the same trite sentence over and over is really just you spamming this site. Particularly as it was neither humorous nor insightful to begin with.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    jonny83 said:

Some interesting choices and perhaps some questionable ones as well. She has the power and the right to choose who she wants and she is clearly stamping her authority in line with her vision for the future. Have to see how it plays out.

The Boris/Fox/Davis triumvirate for me has potential disaster written all over it. They will have to work together on some pats of the negotiations you would think and all three of them might have a different vision for a post UK brexit. On the one hand May might think Brexit is your mess deal with it and if any of those right wing backbenchers kick up a fuss she can just say well I gave your lot the power to sort it out. But on the other hand if it doesn't work out she could still take damage from it, people will question her judgement.

Apart from the Boris decision Hunt remaining in post is probably the most surprising to me. I've been largely supportive of Hunt during the industrial action with the Junior Doctors and now feel it's time to impose the contract. But May could have taken the easy option and delivered a fresh start in replacing him but didn't. I have no doubt the doctors will not take this decision well but they have their own political agenda and nothing may please them.

Osborne? He could come back at some point from this but he will have to want to remain an MP. I would imagine some financial institutions will be looking at his political future with interest. Maybe he will decide he is done with Politics.

Some really big beasts and talented people on the backbenches, I can't imagine Cameron/Osborne/Gove sitting together lol

Yes a good summary. It really does seem to be a case of making people see out the consequences of their decisions (Hunt, The Terrible Trio) which I'm not sure is the best way of optimising the outcome.

I like Rudd as HS she is certainly an effective and capable operator, Fallon stays as attack dog, if you have an opportunity to detoxify Health why not take it? Greening deeply unimpressive at anything...

Politics for me just got a bit more boring as there seem to be a bunch of not-very-interestings now in power.

If this is supposed to be the safe pair of hands, getting on with the job, no flashiness cabinet then I suppose it's mission accomplished. I can't help thinking, however (and with no catiness), that this cabinet is unexceptional in brainpower and ability as well as character.

I will not be watching PM May's first PMQs that's for sure. Perhaps they should screen it at midnight, as a service to all the insomniacs.
  • Options

Unless you are a farmer...
  • Options
    @spignal: Jeremy Hunt: when do I get my £350m a week for the NHS then?
    Andrea Leadsom: as soon as I tell farmers there won't be any more subsidies
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Scott_P said:

All the farmers I spoke to feared Out because they didn't trust the UK govt to maintain or replicate the subsidies. Now, there is a different discussion to be had about the sense or otherwise of subsidies but dear god if I was a farmer now, knowing La Leaden Leadsom was at the controls of DEFRA, I might be scouring the planning and change of use laws very carefully...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Posting the same trite sentence over and over is really just you spamming this site. Particularly as it was neither humorous nor insightful to begin with.
    Truth hurts doesn't it?

BTW, Ian:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

There!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

A French farmer possibly.

Uk farmers will be better off as they will have a global marketplace.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Toms said:

RobD said:

Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Yes. But that won't change the fact we'll be leaving.
    Thanks.
    I would have thought such a process should be more rigorous. Grist for the legal community here?
    It's a pity, with much sympathy, that Mr. Meeks is hors de combat. His input would have been interesting.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So we're not losing non-EU money by leaving the EU?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

jonny83 said:

The Boris/Fox/Davis triumvirate for me has potential disaster written all over it. They will have to work together on some pats of the negotiations you would think and all three of them might have a different vision for a post UK brexit. ...

I don't think they will have to work particularly closely together on the negotiations. The structure appears to indicate that Boris won't be much involved with the Brexit negotiations at all, that will be DD's responsibility. Meanwhile Fox will be trying to set up deals with the US, China, and other far-off lands. I can see some potential problems of overlap in the Fox/Boris responsibilities, but the EU negotiations seem to be squarely DD's problem. I hope he's up to it, I have my doubts on that.
    If before all of this, someone had suggested that Boris/Fox/Davis were the dream team to lead any important negotiation it would have been considered a joke.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    jonny83 said:

[Snipped]

If Brexit turns out to be a disaster, May will own this, regardless of whether the mess was created by the 3 Brexiteers. She's in charge now. So she had better make it clear to them what vision of Brexit she has and make sure they do their best to get it. And the Merkels of this world are going to want to deal with the organ grinder, not the monkeys - whatever their titles.

I think this is more about making sure that while the negotiations are going on the Brexiteers can't snipe at her and, if what is arrived at is not to the liking of some of them, of having the necessary cover.

What is more interesting to me is how Hammond will work them. He is the one who will want to ensure that any deal does not eff up the economy so badly. In the end if it does that will do for May and him and the Tories' chances at the next election. So he should want to make sure that he gets the right input into any deal. Whether he will or not is another matter.
  • Options

So we're not losing non-EU money by leaving the EU?

And again you are obsessed by "EU money" which is not what I was talking about, in any of the posts you have latched on to so far.

Why do you keep wittering on about it?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If before all of this, someone had suggested that Boris/Fox/Davis were the dream team to lead any important negotiation it would have been considered a joke.

Well, at one point there was a suggestion that it might have been Andrea Leadsom, so, in comparison...
  • Options
    Gauke Chief Secretary to the Treasury
This discussion has been closed.