Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new government, we’re nearly there

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,720
    Scott_P said:

Gauke Chief Secretary to the Treasury

Uncork the Gauke
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    Scott_P said:

So we're not losing non-EU money by leaving the EU?

And again you are obsessed by "EU money" which is not what I was talking about, in any of the posts you have latched on to so far.

Why do you keep wittering on about it?
    Run that by me again: So how are the farmers gonna lose money by us leaving the EU?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,309
    Cyclefree said:

What is more interesting to me is how Hammond will work them. He is the one who will want to ensure that any deal does not eff up the economy so badly. In the end if it does that will do for May and him and the Tories' chances at the next election. So he should want to make sure that he gets the right input into any deal. Whether he will or not is another matter.

He'll still be attending European finance ministers' meetings so should have plenty of contact with Schaeuble and the rest to ensure that the economic side of the negotiation is not the stuff of fantasy.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

"There is no such thing as "EU Money". There is only taxpayers' money!"

Where in the post does it say "EU money" ?

It says subsidy, which is the key point...
    We are net contributors the EU, remember? To the tune of £8.5 billion in 2015.
    And it will apparently be £6.5+ billion for the Norway EFTA/EEA solution - no rebate, remember
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    Toms said:

RobD said:

Toms said:

RobD said:

Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Owen Smith calls for a second referendum because many voters "now regret their decision".

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-candidate-vows-second-vote-on-brexit-n79bxds9z

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
    Second brexit :p
    Seriously, and please forgive my ignorance, but is not the Commons the only, final, arbiter in British law? Or did Parliament actually approve the referendum to start with? If it was Cameron's choice, or even that of the Tory party, then sod that.
    The AV referendum was binding, this one was not. They parliament did vote to hold a referendum though, so would be stupid to ignore it.
    So this referendum was advisory only?
    Yes. But that won't change the fact we'll be leaving.
    Thanks.
    I would have thought such a process should be more rigorous. Grist for the legal community here?
    It's a pity, with much sympathy, that Mr. Meeks is hors de combat. His input would have been interesting.
    There are all manner of noises off about who can invoke article 50, including whether it requires an Act of Parliament or not. The issue is that the wording of article 50 could have been written by Labour - it's rather vague:

"1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."

That's fine for some states, less so for a country with a constitution as ethereal as ours.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Run that by me again: So how are the farmers gonna lose money by us leaving the EU?

Why don't you read the thread. starting with the post you latched onto, that did not make any mention of "EU money"?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon David Lidington as Leader of the House of Commons.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2016

Scott_P said:

Gauke Chief Secretary to the Treasury

Uncork the Gauke
    Justice 1 for Gauke. Done

Justice 2 for Lord H? Just saying, Prime Minister
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852

jonny83 said:

The Boris/Fox/Davis triumvirate for me has potential disaster written all over it. They will have to work together on some pats of the negotiations you would think and all three of them might have a different vision for a post UK brexit. ...

I don't think they will have to work particularly closely together on the negotiations. The structure appears to indicate that Boris won't be much involved with the Brexit negotiations at all, that will be DD's responsibility. Meanwhile Fox will be trying to set up deals with the US, China, and other far-off lands. I can see some potential problems of overlap in the Fox/Boris responsibilities, but the EU negotiations seem to be squarely DD's problem. I hope he's up to it, I have my doubts on that.
    Yep. David Davis is the key man. Boris will be doing the Boris stuff. Fox will probably do the travelling salesman bit, so Boris doesn't have to. A plethora of high quality FTAs? Doubtful.

So it comes down to whether Davis can extract us from the EU with the fewest scratches and bruises possible, acting with effective haste and making the most of a weak negotiating hand. Nothing I have seen so far indicates he has what is needed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,234

Is it truly egalitarian if there are hardly any former public schoolboys and schoolgirls there? You'd think if it was truly egalitarian, based on merit that there would be some. Penalising people for their parents choices is not egalitarian.

Fallon, Hunt, Johnson, Rudd all ex public school and a higher percentage of the Cabinet than the 7% nationally
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why don't you read the thread. starting with the post you latched onto, that did not make any mention of "EU money"?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

And it will apparently be £6.5+ billion for the Norway EFTA/EEA solution - no rebate, remember
    Which would still leave us net £2 billion better off. So why would there need to be a cut?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Liddington - Leader of the Commons
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited July 2016
    Theresa May hasn’t just parked her tanks on Labour’s lawn. She’s climbed out, walked over to theirs, lifted the hatch, climbed in and driven off with them.

Without the fallback of class and identity politics, what do they have left?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Is it truly egalitarian if there are hardly any former public schoolboys and schoolgirls there? You'd think if it was truly egalitarian, based on merit that there would be some. Penalising people for their parents choices is not egalitarian.

Fallon, Hunt, Johnson, Rudd all ex public school and a higher percentage of the Cabinet than the 7% nationally
    I suspect the Commons let alone the Tory share of it is not 7% so that's not surely the right figure to use.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    chestnut said:

Theresa May hasn’t just parked her tanks on Labour’s lawn. She’s climbed out, walked over to theirs, lifted the hatch, climbed in and driven off with theirs.

"Tory Scum!"
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Well, ignoring the rebate in 2015, our total contribution was £18 billion.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2016
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Most of the money/rebate is due to the CAP. We wouldn't be in the CAP.
  • Options
    RobD said:

chestnut said:

Theresa May hasn’t just parked her tanks on Labour’s lawn. She’s climbed out, walked over to theirs, lifted the hatch, climbed in and driven off with theirs.

"Tory Scum!"
    They're all being deselected.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

RobD said:

chestnut said:

"Tory Scum!"
    They're all being deselected.
    We can but hope
  • Options

Run that by me again:

Read the thread. This is really dull now
  • Options

sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Well, ignoring the rebate in 2015, our total contribution was £18 billion.
    Exactly and we were in EFTA from 1960 to 1973
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    So IDS went to Downing Street for nothing then?
  • Options
    The SNP were the only party to vote against the EU Referendum Act of 2015.
    Passed by 544 votes to 53.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

I watched all day and never saw him.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I suspect the Commons let alone the Tory share of it is not 7% so that's not surely the right figure to use.
    The Tory share ex public school is now about 50% and the Commons about 20 to 30%
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

He was seen approaching Downing Street - but no-one saw him go inside as far as I am aware
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon David Lidington as Leader of the House of Commons.

Another Davis supporter in 2005 but well regarded by Cameron and long serving and suffering Europe Minister. A deserved promotion.

So that's it for the top table.

But more fun (and insights) for the second and third tier of junior Ministers. Could any of last year's intake get their first mits around the greasy pole? Or the overlooked from 2010?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

On PB it was reported that he'd gone into Downing Street (that's why I thought he had). That's why there was speculation over whether he'd get a role or not.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

We have a better trading position with the EU than Norway, so it won't be the exact Norway amounts.

• Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    chestnut said:

Theresa May hasn’t just parked her tanks on Labour’s lawn. She’s climbed out, walked over to theirs, lifted the hatch, climbed in and driven off with them.

Entirely their own doing by vacating all that territory without a fight. Those moderate centre-left Labour MP's must be feeling absolutely sick right now.

If May gets this right Labour could be out of power for decades.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

On PB it was reported that he'd gone into Downing Street (that's why I thought he had). That's why there was speculation over whether he'd get a role or not.
    Maybe May's given him a special job where he has to be really, really quiet for the next 4 years.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

Liddington - Leader of the Commons

Liddington went to Haberdashers' Askes so now 5 ex public school in the Cabinet
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Run that by me again:

Read the thread. This is really dull now
    How are farmers gonna lose their money? Or don't you know?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    You could form a "B" Team cabinet with more skill and experience than the shadow front bench
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

We have a better trading position with the EU than Norway, so it won't be the exact Norway amounts.

And there really doesn't seem to be an outcome where we will be in the CAP, which is the largest line item in the EU budget. Can anyone think of any reason why that's not a good thing?
  • Options

How are farmers gonna lose their money?

"Their money"? Don't you mean "taxpayers' money"?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,870

May has really surprised me - a massive recasting of government and a massive power shift away from the Cameroons. Surely they can't be happy?

They are a dwindling band of yesterdays men.....and Cameron will be personally loyal - so I doubt they'll get up to much mischief. Quite a skilful redeployment of the talents - if you BREXIT you own it.....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

[Snipped]

If Brexit turns out to be a disaster, May will own this, regardless of whether the mess was created by the 3 Brexiteers. She's in charge now. So she had better make it clear to them what vision of Brexit she has and make sure they do their best to get it. And the Merkels of this world are going to want to deal with the organ grinder, not the monkeys - whatever their titles.

I think this is more about making sure that while the negotiations are going on the Brexiteers can't snipe at her and, if what is arrived at is not to the liking of some of them, of having the necessary cover.

What is more interesting to me is how Hammond will work them. He is the one who will want to ensure that any deal does not eff up the economy so badly. In the end if it does that will do for May and him and the Tories' chances at the next election. So he should want to make sure that he gets the right input into any deal. Whether he will or not is another matter.
    All I can suggest is that May agrees a timetable with agreed milestones with Davis, which she will pull at the first sign of deviation. You said fire Article 50 on this date. You said EU partners are rational and would agree to full access on services and no FOM. We're at that date now. Are they rational? Have they agreed? If not, you don't know what you are talking about and you're out.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    RIP Osborne. RIP Osborne's inner circle. RIP Osborneism. RIP anyone who'd ever even look at George Osborne.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

That is utter bollocks. All the informed commentators estimate it will be between £2.5 and £3 billion net (which is almost but not quite exactly the same as the gross) if we are in the EEA. If we are only in EFTA it is a much smaller amount again.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    TGOHF said:

Who is Greg Clark ? Never heard of him.

Almost zero Nat fightback to May putting them back in their box last night - the Indy dream is dead for 30-40 years IMHO.

Clark is son of a milkman, raised in Tyneside, state educated, Cambridge and LSE, Tunbridge Wells MP and the last DCLG Secretary
  • Options

RIP Osborne. RIP Osborne's inner circle. RIP Osborneism. RIP anyone who'd ever even look at George Osborne.

Hopefully RIP the last remnants of continuity Brown in the Treasury.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    JohnO said:

But more fun (and insights) for the second and third tier of junior Ministers. Could any of last year's intake get their first mits around the greasy pole? Or the overlooked from 2010?

From the 2015ers, Chris Philp, perhaps?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Overheard in pub earlier.

"The problem we've got is too many foreigners but now Boris is Foreign Secretary he'll take 'em all back with him."

You've got to love the general public.

Maybe that's the job TM gave him 'I'd like you to become foreigners' secretary BoJo' - 'What what yes maam delighted' bow/scrape/bow and kiss the kitten heels!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What do you mean? Don't farmers pay any tax?

How are farmers gonna lose money? Or can't you explain it in your own words?
  • Options

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

Where in the post does it day "EU money" ?

The UK has subsidised its farmers since the year dot. People should try cracking open a history book every now and then.
    Scott has never heard of the Corn Laws.
    You mean we don't have them any more? So explains why the UK has gone to the dogs!!
  • Options

JohnO said:

I would like to see Charlotte Leslie (2010) given a role, if her health allows it.
  • Options
    David Lidington is 60 (elected 1992), ditto Green...the average age of this Cabinet must surely be notably higher than the last.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016
    FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

[Snipped]

If Brexit turns out to be a disaster, May will own this, regardless of whether the mess was created by the 3 Brexiteers. She's in charge now. So she had better make it clear to them what vision of Brexit she has and make sure they do their best to get it. And the Merkels of this world are going to want to deal with the organ grinder, not the monkeys - whatever their titles.

I think this is more about making sure that while the negotiations are going on the Brexiteers can't snipe at her and, if what is arrived at is not to the liking of some of them, of having the necessary cover.

All I can suggest is that May agrees a timetable with agreed milestones with Davis, which she will pull at the first sign of deviation. You said fire Article 50 on this date. You said EU partners are rational and would agree to full access on services and no FOM. We're at that date now. Are they rational? Have they agreed? If not, you don't know what you are talking about and you're out.
    Full respect, old porpoise, but if that is all you can suggest then you might want to expand your imagination a tad.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @williamglenn And IDS gets the Department of Quiet men and women....

@grabcocque As Alanbrooke said in response to Osborne's sacking: Alsan the lion has returned, summer is upon us again, the White Queen is dead. In other news Lord Voldermolt has also been killed, and Darth Vader is no longer with us as well.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Scott_P said:

I'm not sure you understand the meme that the previous "Scott_P" was pushing up to a few minutes ago.
    Was it a hurried shift handover?
  • Options

He was seen approaching Downing Street - but no-one saw him go inside as far as I am aware
    He didn't call the policemen "Plebs" did he? :lol:
  • Options

I do hope so, Mr. Glenn. I also hope that TM is going to clip the Treasury's wings and return it to its proper function.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    How's Jeremy Hunt going to spend is extra £18.2bn a year?
  • Options

TSE won't be happy with that :lol:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,118
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

Owen Smith calls for a second referendum because many voters "now regret their decision".

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-candidate-vows-second-vote-on-brexit-n79bxds9z

They have no idea do they - we are going out
    Um, clearly they do have the idea, that's why they're desperate to stop it. I cannot see a realistic avenue either to justify the holding of a second referendum before article 50 is declare - anecdotal reports of regrets so soon after is hardly justification - or this government agreeing to do so or being replaced at a GE by a government which would - not least because the chances of a new GE before we declare are looking very slim - but obviously people know we're heading out, and probably accept it can't be prevented, realistically. So it's about demonstrating they tried or at least told people they would have tried if given the chance.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

6.5% of the population go to private schools, so in a 30 strong Governemnt you'd expect perhaps 2 or 3. So May has it about right.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Clark looks the interesting appointment for me. Merging Energy with Business doesn't seem a bad idea. What about CSttT? Jo Johnson?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Pong said:

He'll buy you a straitjacket, if you're lucky!

(only kidding!)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

TSE was already in luurve with Theresa by lunchtime. As Bertie says when Jeeves describes someone as warm-hearted, "Warm-hearted? I should think he has to wear asbestos waistcoats!"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Cocque, that may be an error by May.

If she'd peeled off Osborne's lieutenants, he'd be not quite alone on the backbenches, but diminished. As it is, he and his followers (or ex-followers) far exceed the Conservative majority. It's possible she'll be fine. It's possible she's made the Morsi Mistake.
  • Options

Clark looks the interesting appointment for me. Merging Energy with Business doesn't seem a bad idea. What about CSttT? Jo Johnson?

David Gauke goes to Chief Sec

Treasury's man through and through
  • Options

Hammond would most likely be closest to Major or Darling as Chancellor
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pong said:

The NHS is a bottomless pit of incompetence, mismanagement and corruption.

It'd disappear without a ripple.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

[Snipped]

Full respect, old porpoise, but if that is all you can suggest then you might want to expand your imagination a tad.
    Possibly more imagination than other people, but let's not quibble. Do you think David Davis will pull off a smart, clean and high calibre Brexit?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    What about merging Communities with Scotland and Wales? Maybe NI too eventually though perhaps that's a little contentious.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    JohnO said:

David Lidington is 60 (elected 1992), ditto Green...the average age of this Cabinet must surely be notably higher than the last.

The majority of the members of the new cabinet are older than Cameron.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

Some interesting choices and perhaps some questionable ones as well. She has the power and the right to choose who she wants and she is clearly stamping her authority in line with her vision for the future. Have to see how it plays out.

The Boris/Fox/Davis triumvirate for me has potential disaster written all over it. They will have to work together on some pats of the negotiations you would think and all three of them might have a different vision for a post UK brexit. On the one hand May might think Brexit is your mess deal with it and if any of those right wing backbenchers kick up a fuss she can just say well I gave your lot the power to sort it out. But on the other hand if it doesn't work out she could still take damage from it, people will question her judgement.

[Snipped]

Exactly right. Cyclefree is a shrewdie.

I'd go a step further.

The three Brexiteers will be all but irrelevant in the negotiations on Brexit. Their main significance will be the influence they have on their civil servants.

On the main issue of the day---Brexit---the PM does not have the luxury of being able to delegate the job. It is squarely in her lap, and she'll stand or fall on the results. She will have to do it herself.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    GeoffM said:

Pong said:

That's what you voted for.

Just out of interest, what's the mood like on the rock post-referendum?
  • Options
    Toms said:

RobD said:

Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Seriously, and please forgive my ignorance, but is not the Commons the only, final, arbiter in British law? Or did Parliament actually approve the referendum to start with? If it was Cameron's choice, or even that of the Tory party, then sod that.
    The AV referendum was binding, this one was not. They parliament did vote to hold a referendum though, so would be stupid to ignore it.
    Yes. But politically unviable to ignore without a competing democratic mandate, which it is also politically difficult to justify or enact. A threshold for referendums on big issues like these is not inherently a bad idea, many places have some sort of threshold, and conversely it might be a good idea to have a rule about not holding reruns within a certain time period.

So either approach, to permit or prevent a second referendum might be good ideas, but neither was in place, so one could be held in theory. But in reality it woukd be next to impossible as things stand.
  • Options
    Pong said:

GeoffM said:

Pong said:

How do you know?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

He didn't call the policemen "Plebs" did he? :lol:
    IF he did I don't suppose they heard him.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    edited July 2016
    Is it me or is the England over rate utterly farcical ?

There should be a hundred run penalty if the overs aren't got in without a good reason. Would soon sort it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mike Pence is Trump's running mate.

Source: NYTimes
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

May has really surprised me - a massive recasting of government and a massive power shift away from the Cameroons. Surely they can't be happy?

They are a dwindling band of yesterdays men.....and Cameron will be personally loyal - so I doubt they'll get up to much mischief. Quite a skilful redeployment of the talents - if you BREXIT you own it.....
    That's an amusing line, but wouldn't it have been seen as trying to negate the referendum outcome if Ms May had appointed Remain-leaning people?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

The majority of the members of the new cabinet are older than Cameron.
    Theresa Grey's team?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pulpstar said:

Is it me or is the England over rate utterly farcical ?

Cook thinks his spinner is mince (rightly) and hence its been all pace - one of which is Broad who is the worst culprit for over rate.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    kle4 said:

Toms said:

RobD said:

Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Yes. But politically unviable to ignore without a competing democratic mandate, which it is also politically difficult to justify or enact. A threshold for referendums on big issues like these is not inherently a bad idea, many places have some sort of threshold, and conversely it might be a good idea to have a rule about not holding reruns within a certain time period.

So either approach, to permit or prevent a second referendum might be good ideas, but neither was in place, so one could be held in theory. But in reality it woukd be next to impossible as things stand.
    The threshold in the first Scottish referendum didn't really work out well in the long run. From the point of view of the people who imposed it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

GeoffM said:

Pong said:

How do you know?
    Unless I'm mistake, GeoffM was quite openly pro-brexit in the run up to the vote.

Also the avatar doesn't exactly paint him as particularly pro-EU....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

[Snipped]

Possibly more imagination than other people, but let's not quibble. Do you think David Davis will pull off a smart, clean and high calibre Brexit?
    I don't know, is the honest answer. I am fairly sure we will not get all we want, I have seldom been in negotiations where that has happened - there are two sides after all. However, I am equally sure that some of the doomsayers on here are being too pessimistic. The UK does have a rather stronger hand than some seem to acknowledge. If, God forbid, I were sitting at the table it is not a hand that I would be nervous of playing, I doubt I'd get a slam but 4 spades seems eminently doable.
  • Options

The SNP were the only party to vote against the EU Referendum Act of 2015.
    Passed by 544 votes to 53.

Really? So, though he proposed it, all that guff blaming Cameron holding the referendum from some is bollocks? As the other parties didn't try to prevent it and even voted for it to occur?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    John_M said:
    Brilliant. The economy will get a boost for years to come. Despite their Muslim background, they will vote CDU when they are eligible. Shrewd Merkel.
  • Options

And Richard "the Sage" Nabavi.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    Popcorntastic:

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 27m27 minutes ago
    Mike Foster's legal action against Labour NEC decision that Corbyn automatically on ballot paper will be heard High Court last week in July
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Brilliant. The economy will get a boost for years to come. Despite their Muslim background, they will vote CDU when they are eligible. Shrewd Merkel.

It says 45% were from the EU, so a similar split of EU/non-EU to the UK.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AnneJGP said:

That's an amusing line, but wouldn't it have been seen as trying to negate the referendum outcome if Ms May had appointed Remain-leaning people?
    Amusing? It doesn't even scan. People are still grieving I suppose.

I'm with @Topping in that the glam factor is reduced (modulo Boris). This is a cabinet full of experience. I don't really care who voted Remain/Leave. They all have a lot to do. Its execution that matters. I can't see May being as forgiving as Cameron, so hopefully that will concentrate minds.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    surbiton said:

John_M said:
    Ah - GDP that true measure of the average voter's financial status...
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Repeat after me:

I see 'Project make up big numbers' is still in full swing
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Some interesting choices and perhaps some questionable ones as well. She has the power and the right to choose who she wants and she is clearly stamping her authority in line with her vision for the future. Have to see how it plays out.

The Boris/Fox/Davis triumvirate for me has potential disaster written all over it. They will have to work together on some pats of the negotiations you would think and all three of them might have a different vision for a post UK brexit. On the one hand May might think Brexit is your mess deal with it and if any of those right wing backbenchers kick up a fuss she can just say well I gave your lot the power to sort it out. But on the other hand if it doesn't work out she could still take damage from it, people will question her judgement.

Apart from the Boris decision Hunt remaining in post is probably the most surprising to me. I've been largely supportive of Hunt during the industrial action with the Junior Doctors and now feel it's time to impose the contract. But May could have taken the easy option and delivered a fresh start in replacing him but didn't. I have no doubt the doctors will not take this decision well but they have their own political agenda and nothing may please them.

Osborne? He could come back at some point from this but he will have to want to remain an MP. I would imagine some financial institutions will be looking at his political future with interest. Maybe he will decide he is done with Politics.

Some really big beasts and talented people on the backbenches, I can't imagine Cameron/Osborne/Gove sitting together lol

Well with the size of their majority they will have to
  • Options

If she'd peeled off Osborne's lieutenants, he'd be not quite alone on the backbenches, but diminished. As it is, he and his followers (or ex-followers) far exceed the Conservative majority. It's possible she'll be fine. It's possible she's made the Morsi Mistake.

She's facing 2016 Labour. If at any point the majority becomes a critical issue, call an election.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

JohnO said:

Imagine a member of the 2015 intake suddenly being given a government job.

PREPOSTEROUS.
  • Options

Popcorntastic:

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 27m27 minutes ago
    Mike Foster's legal action against Labour NEC decision that Corbyn automatically on ballot paper will be heard High Court last week in July

The courts need to catch up, politics now moves way too fast for us to wait that long!
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    GeoffM said:

Pong said:

In the unlikely event of the NHS getting an extra £350m a week it still wouldn't be enough for some.

We'll all be £4300 worse off soon anyway so hospitals will be full of people with malnutrition.
  • Options
    This is beginning to look like a coup at the top of the Conservative Party. The plebs are in charge now. Only the bumbling idiot is the token rep.
  • Options

I think Osborne will support the government to which he'll eventually return - hopefully after a successful Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tory share ex public school is now about 50% and the Commons about 20 to 30%
    So you'd expect roughly 10 ex public school not 4.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

GeoffM said:

Pong said:

How do you know?
    Unless I'm mistake, GeoffM was quite openly pro-brexit in the run up to the vote.

Also the avatar doesn't exactly paint him as particularly pro-EU....
    I'm not sure he voted to put extra money into the NHS....
This discussion has been closed.