Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It has to be May

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Poor Dave. Probably not going to be able to grab that beer with Obama at the G20.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Dignified statement.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    One can't complain that the political class is giving us a boring summer.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Leadsom very gracious indeed

If she had started that way, she wouldn't be in this position
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Jobabob said:

JackW said:

Chameleon said:

Judging by May's rhetoric I'd bet on a GE this year.

May has said no general election.
    She could use the line that she was only voted for by MPs and therefore wants a mandate from the public. With Labour in the state it's in there really isn't a better time for her.
    Depends on what Labour do. If Corbyn is kept off the ballot, all bets are off.

May could then be facing Yvette/Chuka/Jarvis, which she won't fancy anything like as much.

Do you seriously expect the Labour party to take a decision that gives it even a remote chance of not losing a bucketful of seats at the next general election? Seriously? :-D

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    edited July 2016
    Dignified statement:

https://www.periscope.tv/SamCoatesTimes/1RDxlwzXVpkJL

Edit - and logic 'can't do it without MPs' support' would apply even more so to Gove.

IDS face a picture.....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949

Scott_P said:

@Samfr: I do like Theresa May's campaign strategy of doing nothing while all of her opponents set themselves on fire sequentially.

Quite, - Theresa May’s only black-ops strategy was to let them do her own thang. It worked.
    Now she's PM she will actually have to do something herself though. We'll find out shortly whether she's just Gordon Brown with heels.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    Peston shoving Laura K out of the way - what a tosser.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Sky reckons RON could be on the cards...

Ron?
    Re-Open Nominations
    please no.
    Ffs nooooooooooo!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

May likely to continue with Osborne as Chancellor and Hammond as Foreign Sec.

Equals minimal change on Brexit. Continues with free movement of EU citizens and the EU regulations of the single market.

That may be the intention (probably is the intention) but political revolutions tend to acquire a momentum of their own.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    Leadsome endorses May. Saying she is 'ideally placed to implement Brexit on the best possible terms for the British people'

Letter to Graham Brady.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Leadsom showing a far greater understanding of parliamentary democracy than Corbyn. Admitted her level of PCP support is not enough for stable government. Credit to her for that.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Very gracious speech from Andrea endorsing Theresa as PM.

Top marks to her

She has gone up in my estimations. Gracious and in the overwhelming interests of the Party and the country.

Well done.

And congratulations to our new PM, Theresa May. I wish her well. I think she will do well.

Labour - this is how you sort out leadership issues. The Tories are (the IDS saga aside) rather good at this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

May likely to continue with Osborne as Chancellor and Hammond as Foreign Sec.

Equals minimal change on Brexit. Continues with free movement of EU citizens and the EU regulations of the single market.

What source do you have for this ?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

JackW said:

Chameleon said:

Judging by May's rhetoric I'd bet on a GE this year.

May has said no general election.
    She could use the line that she was only voted for by MPs and therefore wants a mandate from the public. With Labour in the state it's in there really isn't a better time for her.
    Depends on what Labour do. If Corbyn is kept off the ballot, all bets are off.

May could then be facing Yvette/Chuka/Jarvis, which she won't fancy anything like as much.

Do you seriously expect the Labour party to take a decision that gives it even a remote chance of not losing a bucketful of seats at the next general election? Seriously? :-D

I know. I must need my brain examining!!
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    I'm standing down because my support consists of less than 25% of the parliamentary party.

Are you listening Jeremy?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Wonderful.
    It's called Fox News because it does.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    FF43 said:

In other news:

Boeing creates 2,000 new jobs in the UK:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36763212

"Boeing will make the UK its European base for training, maintenance and repair for its defence aircraft."

We should have gone with the P-8 years ago.

Question: does any European country other than the UK operate Boeing defence aircraft? The exception I can think of is Italy which has the maintenance contract on its 767 airtankers.
    I don't think the Germans do, but ISTR the French (of all people) use Boeing tankers and AWACS. The navy also use the Hawkeye (they needed to alter their carrier to operate it safely), though that's not a Being product.

The Italians also have several US aircraft.

I think!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Spin on this, Richard Dawkins! Of course there's a God....and He is merciful!

Marquee Mark 7:51AM

I'm hoping that God might yet have a quiet word with Mother Superior - and gets her to stand down.

If He is a merciful God, it would spare us all two months more of this.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. 86, literally?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    I reckon it was this thread by David that persuaded her to quit.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Second time in last three Tory contests that the membership haven't been granted a vote.
  • Options
    You have to hand it to the Conservatives. Leadership shake up handled brilliantly and efficiently.

Labour on the other hand are still fighting the dogged Big John Owls-Danny65 tendency.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444

This does not look like a cake walk premiership for Mrs May. She will start out with 100+ of her MPs not wanting her there and another group within her supporters, watching her carefully for what she does on Brexit and this "drift to the centre". Added to that are the rabid spreaders of poison, which Boles and Soubry rank amongst the worst (rank being the smell involved). If those folk feature in the new Govt, Mrs May will hardly be encouraging unity.

All the more reason for an election:
    1. She has no working majority
    2. Her party are divided
    3. She has no mandate for Brexit, or from party members
    4. Labour are even more divided

So call a September election, win a landslide, become the New Thatcher

Or don't, have a fractious never ending battle with Brexit/Boris fans demanding more faster that makes John Major's premiership look like a day at The Oval
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Good to see David Herdson's prediction coming true before the comments on it were closed, thus restoring cosmic yin-yang balance after the Eagle Has Floundered one.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    I suspect Leadsom may not have wanted the contest at all but stayed in long enough to shoot down an Eagle.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

1. Leadsom pulls out
    2. May becomes PM straight away
    3. May backed Remain. Hasn't even been endorsed by her membership
    4. Labour are divided and attacking each other. The Tories are also divided but about to stop attacking each other
    4. May makes a statement about needing a mandate. Calls an early election. Tory party pull together. Labour pull apart
    5. May becomes Thatcher with another 144 majority

Really can't see an election any time soon.

We need certainty and purpose now to sort out Brexit. Not weeks of further uncertainty whilst we fight an election campaign.

How can anyone predict how UKIP will fare? They in effect gave the Tories a majority (against all expectations) by monstering Labour in the marginals the Tories retained/won. Can May be so sure a 2016 GE will repeat that feat, and not harm Tory hopes. Plus GE2015 was about Miliband/Sturgeon vs Competent Dave - that no longer applies, and whilst of course Labour is currently encumbered by Jezza, he will have shored up Labour's appeal to Labour-inclined voters who didn't come out in 2015. All my leftie-inclined friends (and spouse...!) love Jez to bits even if they didn't vote Labour in 2015.

No GE until Brexit sorted at the very least, I suspect...
    Think about this scenario:

1. May becomes PM
    2. She works over the summer to agree Heads of Terms.
    3. That includes full single market membership with a couple of small changes on free movement.
    4. Corbyn still there and Labour not split.
    5. Draw up a manifesto which includes lowering net migration to less than 200,000 in the short term and to "sustainable levels" in the long term while pledging to prioritise highly skilled migrants. Pledge to serve Article 50 as soon as the election is won.
    6. Go to the country with Labour hopelessly split, but Momentum unable to deselect sitting MPs.
    7. May wins a landslide and ~100 seat majority.

If you were the PM, would you not be tempted by that.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    PlatoSaid said:

1. Leadsom pulls out
    4. Labour are divided and attacking each other. The Tories are also divided but about to stop attacking each other
    4. May makes a statement about needing a mandate. Calls an early election. Tory party pull together. Labour pull apart

If there's no membership contest - I'll be very pissed off.

I stopped voting for New Labour - I don't want it again run by someone equally keen on snooping.
    Yay - a triple bonus - sensible PM choice, IDS AND Plato totally pissed off. Result! :)
  • Options

Very gracious speech from Andrea endorsing Theresa as PM.

Top marks to her

She has gone up in my estimations. Gracious and in the overwhelming interests of the Party and the country.

Well done.

And congratulations to our new PM, Theresa May. I wish her well. I think she will do well.

Labour - this is how you sort out leadership issues. The Tories are (the IDS saga aside) rather good at this.
    Quite. Thank goodness for that.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Reports that IDS is upset...
  • Options
    Michael Fabricant - is that really his hair?
  • Options
    Conservatives and Labour are like one of those instruction leaflet illustrations.

Leadership elections:

Tories: This is how you do it.

Labour: This is how you don't do it.
  • Options

One can't complain that the political class is giving us a boring summer.

Leadsom has this right: she does not command the support of the PCP.

Your man Corbyn could learn from her.

I doubt he will.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Conservatives and Labour are like one of those instruction leaflet illustrations.

Leadership elections:

Tories: This is how you do it.

Labour: This is how you don't do it.

Quite right.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395

Well, he certainly paid for it.
  • Options

Well he paid for it - so it is his!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

This does not look like a cake walk premiership for Mrs May. She will start out with 100+ of her MPs not wanting her there and another group within her supporters, watching her carefully for what she does on Brexit and this "drift to the centre". Added to that are the rabid spreaders of poison, which Boles and Soubry rank amongst the worst (rank being the smell involved). If those folk feature in the new Govt, Mrs May will hardly be encouraging unity.

It's odd isn't that you avoid mentioning Duncan-Smith et al in relation to your penultimate sentence. It's almost as if you're not being entirely impartial.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

1. Leadsom pulls out

We need certainty and purpose now to sort out Brexit. Not weeks of further uncertainty whilst we fight an election campaign.

How can anyone predict how UKIP will fare? They in effect gave the Tories a majority (against all expectations) by monstering Labour in the marginals the Tories retained/won. Can May be so sure a 2016 GE will repeat that feat, and not harm Tory hopes. Plus GE2015 was about Miliband/Sturgeon vs Competent Dave - that no longer applies, and whilst of course Labour is currently encumbered by Jezza, he will have shored up Labour's appeal to Labour-inclined voters who didn't come out in 2015. All my leftie-inclined friends (and spouse...!) love Jez to bits even if they didn't vote Labour in 2015.

1. May becomes PM
    3. That includes full single market membership with a couple of small changes on free movement.
    5. Draw up a manifesto which includes lowering net migration to less than 200,000 in the short term and to "sustainable levels" in the long term while pledging to prioritise highly skilled migrants. Pledge to serve Article 50 as soon as the election is won.
    6. Go to the country with Labour hopelessly split, but Momentum unable to deselect sitting MPs.

I suspect the electorate would consider that as playing dirty and vote libdem and UKIP in large numbers if she did that.
  • Options
    felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

1. Leadsom pulls out

If there's no membership contest - I'll be very pissed off.

I stopped voting for New Labour - I don't want it again run by someone equally keen on snooping.
    Yay - a triple bonus - sensible PM choice, IDS AND Plato totally pissed off. Result! :)
    Indeed, it's one for the connoisseurs Felix.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Scott_P said:

Reports that IDS is upset...

Can't he look at his Italian degree certificate to console himself?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    Scott_P said:

@BBCPeterHunt: The Queen isn't in London. As things stand, there are no plans for her to return to Buckingham Palace today.

I'm sure Theresa can call in to Windsor on the way back from where-ever she is in the country...
  • Options
    It might coincide with political convenience for May, but I think it would be absolutely right for her to seek a mandate with the British public in the autumn.
  • Options

Would you like some vinegar with your chips?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    John_M said:

Poor Dave. Probably not going to be able to grab that beer with Obama at the G20.

Looks like being humiliated by Andy Murray at the tennis will be Dave's swansong now on the international stage.

A bit unfitting, but hey ho...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016

:lol: - that's one way of looking at it...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    tlg86 said:

If we do get a new PM in the next few days, one of the first things they should deal with are the strikes and associated problems on the Southern. It's causing real problems for many commuters, and would be a good sign of future intent.

Not going to happen. I find it amusing that the media are so dumb that they can't see what is going on there - GTR are doing the DfT's dirty work and it's going to happen in the new South Western franchise starting next year.
    Yes there was some kind of policy announcement this morning by some junior minister affecting the lives of real people in this country.

Best ignored.
  • Options

All the more reason for an election:
    1. She has no working majority
    2. Her party are divided
    3. She has no mandate for Brexit, or from party members
    4. Labour are even more divided

So call a September election, win a landslide, become the New Thatcher

Or don't, have a fractious never ending battle with Brexit/Boris fans demanding more faster that makes John Major's premiership look like a day at The Oval

There won't be an election. She'll "govern" for four years with no mandate from anybody. She'll lurch from one disaster to another. Brexit will be kicked into the long grass and the Tories will be thrown out in 2020.

Question is does the 17m who voted LEAVE and are about to have their referendum ignored switch to UKIP when Theresa eventually has to be dragged kicking and screaming to the polls in 2020?

• Options
    eek said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCPeterHunt: The Queen isn't in London. As things stand, there are no plans for her to return to Buckingham Palace today.

I'm sure Theresa can call in to Windsor on the way back from where-ever she is in the country...
    Not exactly a million miles from Maidenhead
  • Options
    @SamCoatesTimes: Victimhood always key to campaign. Some of her tribe think they have been victims for better part of three decades https://t.co/658gsskX2n

@jameskirkup: @SamCoatesTimes Oh yes. "The same pygmies that brought down Thatcher have destroyed Leadsom." Etc etc.

The grievance machine is up and running. MP on BBC blaming "media positioning"
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

PlatoSaid said:

Graham Brady hinting at some sort of contest ahead according to Darren on Sky

Natural justice seems to dictate the members should have a choice. I can see some disgruntled old colonels in the shires going to court if there is nothing for the members to vote on.

What a mess...
    They didn't in 2003. Retired colonels ought to understand the need for discipline, particularly when your opponent is giving you the chance of a lifetime.

It's worth noting - as I did in the header - that ballot papers were not due to go out until mid-August. Part of the reason for such a long delay would have been for precisely this reason; that one candidate may prove unviable under closer scrutiny.

The possibility of a coronation rather than a contest is not a bug in the rules; it's a feature.
  • Options
    I'd also like to thank Leadsom for reducing Eagle's tiny chances still further.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    My thoughts: May will be coronated now, but will call an early election (she can backtrack on earlier statement by saying that she needs a mandate as not voted for by members). Not straight away, but before the end of the year - November time maybe.

She will use the time before November to present an 'ideal' post-brexit option to the public : EEA. She won't trigger Article 50 before the election though.

If she goes for EEA no special treatment, EU less inclined to react hostile to her (so will drop the 'no informal talks' stuff). Article 50 to be invoked after a simple negotiation for off-the-shelf Norway option.

Regardless of UKIP backlash, Labour will be in such a state that she will win a decent majority (no landslide though).

Conservatives can unite around EEA. I think internally they are already doing so.
  • Options
    @RobDotHutton: Steve Baker finds a new source of grievance, blaming May supporters for maneuvering against Leadsom. By allowing her to give interviews.
  • Options

:lol: - that's one way of looking at it...
    I have always wondered where Nicola Sturgeon gets hers from
  • Options
    Perhaps someone might have a word with Michael Gove before he enters phase 257 of his launch speech ....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    The most annoying aspect of this possible development is people using the word coronated.

There is a perfectly good word to use. Crowned.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Perhaps someone might have a word with Michael Gove before he enters phase 257 of his launch speech ....

It's very popular with some of the headbangers on here :)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited July 2016
    The irony is, of course, that Labour under a new leader could go into an election promising Remain, if they really wanted to make things interesting - roll the die, if you will. But Corbyn won't.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The Con leadership contest has been brutally efficient at weeding out those least suitable for the job in such a short period of time.

Labour on the other hand..
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The most annoying aspect of this possible development is people using the word coronated.

There is a perfectly good word to use. Crowned.

I will remember to use that going forward in the future.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It might coincide with political convenience for May, but I think it would be absolutely right for her to seek a mandate with the British public in the autumn.

Why?
  • Options
    @TimesONeill: Leadsom supporters now redefining a newspaper interview btwn consenting adults as "being under assault"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Victimhood always key to campaign. Some of her tribe think they have been victims for better part of three decades https://t.co/658gsskX2n

@jameskirkup: @SamCoatesTimes Oh yes. "The same pygmies that brought down Thatcher have destroyed Leadsom." Etc etc.

The grievance machine is up and running. MP on BBC blaming "media positioning"

The MP on BBC who supported her says he doesn't blame the media but blames those who campaigned against her for the way she was portrayed. Well I never.

He also says that carrying on for another 8 weeks or whatever would lead to a more divided and ungovernable country and that Leadsome's minority support among MPs was a problem, yet wanted her to carry on and she would win.

True keepers of the flame and all that...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

MaxPB said:

1. Leadsom pulls out

1. May becomes PM

I suspect the electorate would consider that as playing dirty and vote libdem and UKIP in large numbers if she did that.
    The Lib Dems will be pledging to take us back in the EU warts and all (Euro, Schengen). UKIP will be pledging to take us out if the single market and crash the economy. Who knows what Labour will do, but with Corbyn in charge it won't matter. The Conservatives will be proposing to take us out of the EU, have some kind of concessions on free movement, running on a cebtrist ticket as outlined by Mrs May just now and on keeping us in the single market to secure the economy and jobs.

The Tories could score over 40% IMO.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Holy crap balls. Another Leaver Leaves.
  • Options
    @vodkaboris: Andrea Leadsom now debating how many years as Prime Minister to put on her CV #leadsom #conservativeleadership
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charlie Falconer is with him now.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Worth paging Falconer too - the country must know his position....
  • Options
    The correct thing to do is reopen nomination and get Boris to stand.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, that's entirely credible.

UKIP could make leaps and bounds against Labour, and the Lib Dems, if Corbyn's still there, may make a rapid comeback.

Dangerous days for the reds.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    TGOHF said:

The Con leadership contest has been brutally efficient at weeding out those least suitable for the job in such a short period of time.

Labour on the other hand..

A major priority for any future Labour leader will be re-writing the rule book from scratch.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    Alistair said:

Not going to happen
  • Options
    Brady - It's over.
  • Options
    Brady speaks, Theresa May wins
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Poor Labour. They really are in deep shite.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    EEA, here we come. Boy this is going to be fun viewing.
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: Gove puts out statement saying ‘we should now move as quickly as possible to ensure May can take over as leader'
  • Options
    Brady being a bit hesitant
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    Alistair said:

No really isn't, contest is over.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    If backing the favourite isn’t a very exciting option, more value might be found in Ladbrokes market that Leadsom will withdraw from the race before the end of the month at 7/1

Absolutely tremendous tipping, David.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Not going to happen
    Just for the fun of seeing people's reactions on here vis-a-vis the big Red numbers they will have next to Boris on Betfair.
  • Options
    Brady refers to Andrea May. Ahem.
  • Options

He wasn't expecting to deal with this today. It does take time to confirm everything officially.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

Brady refers to Andrea May. Ahem.

The way to unite Leave and Remain? Perhaps Nigel Clegg could help too.
  • Options
    Amazing how every single Leaver involved in this sorry mess has fallen on stony ground. An idea without champions is probably a bad idea.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    The Red Sea has parted in front of May. I wonder whose army will be in the chariots when the water rushes back.
  • Options

If backing the favourite isn’t a very exciting option, more value might be found in Ladbrokes market that Leadsom will withdraw from the race before the end of the month at 7/1

Absolutely tremendous tipping, David.

Bravo.
  • Options
    John Redwood looks gutted
  • Options
    We shouldn't leap to conclusions (actually, what am I saying? Leap away!) regarding EEA.

There's plenty of fudge 'twixt cup and lip.

As others have pointed out, there are a lot of vetoes to be handled with the EEA route, never mind UK domestic politics. We're not going to let Slovenia stick their oar in here, or Schulz for that matter. Let's see what the grown up countries say first.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Jobabob said:

Amazing how every single Leaver involved in this sorry mess has fallen on stony ground. An idea without champions is probably a bad idea.

given 2/3 of tory MPs supported remain I suppose its no surprise the last woman standing is a remainer. Even as someone who doesn't vote Tory I'm disappointed there wont be a leadership run off.
  • Options

He wasn't expecting to deal with this today. It does take time to confirm everything officially.
    He says the election is closed but constitutional issues need to be addressed. The availability of Her Majesty will be need to be established
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Well it should have been Boris Vs Theresa.

We still don't know what happened between Boris and Gove but we know there's obviously a lot more to it than we've been told...
  • Options
    As others have said, Leadsom has timed this well to torpedo the Eagle.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Brom said:

Jobabob said:

given 2/3 of tory MPs supported remain I suppose its no surprise the last woman standing is a remainer. Even as someone who doesn't vote Tory I'm disappointed there wont be a leadership run off.
    All the more reason why the obvious call for her is a general election. BTW I'm not arguing this for party political gain.

Because if May does what I think she'll do, Labour are fucking fucked.
  • Options

EEA, here we come. Boy this is going to be fun viewing.

Yup.
  • Options
    Never underestimate the ruthlessness of the Tory party in government.

I'm sure the idea of having a new PM whilst various people in Labour are talking about legal actions re: their own leadership crisis must be attractive right now.

Tories on 45% in opinion polls this year, anyone?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

John Redwood looks gutted

IDS and now John Redwood. This is a good day.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

As others have said, Leadsom has timed this well to torpedo the Eagle.

The fact that you can take out that particular Eagle with a torpedo is telling.
This discussion has been closed.