Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says the Eagle has floundered

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,382

MaxPB said:

Can't wait for May's response. Expect she'll put the boot in with a dignified but murderous magnanimity.

The best thing to do is not respond.
    If there is one strength to May it is her expertise at masterly inactivity!
    That works as a minister but not as a PM because a PM has to show leadership..
    May's inactivity and reluctance to compromise does run the risk of running down the A50 clock, forcing a last minute scramble or an unceremonious exit.
    She has towering talents like Letwin, Mundell , IDS and suchlike to help her, what could possibly go wrong.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,744
    nunu said:

OK Andrea's leadership campaign has crashed and burned. She should now do the honourable thing and step out of the race, it will be painful but she should be honest and say "my inexperience has shown during this campaign that I am not ready to be PM and although I never meant any harm by my comments I know I shouldn't have said them". Said down gracefully instead of losing ungracefully.

Trouble is all this started because she wanted to go double or quits on getting a job with Boris. Even last week we were mostly assuming she'd be in May's top team.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Leadsom just on Sky - she's really pissed off with The Times. Statement, no questions.

She is really annoyed at the way they tried to twist her words by quoting them verbatim.
    The Times headline wasn't justified by Leadsom's remarks was it?

Murdock's The Sun and The Times are both backing May and have an agenda. They are going to get attacked by Leadson so better watch out.

The Daily Mail is also pro May. Will any news organisation back Leadsom - The Daily Express?
    The headline was that Leadsom claimed being a mother gave her the edge on May.

In an interview about a leadership contest where Leadsom had volunteered being a mother as one of her key attributes. Then without prompting referred to it being sad that her opponent has no children, and in the same answer gone on to explain in detail how being a mother gave her a stake in the future and meant she would be more keen to avoid a downturn. Etc.

In the circumstances I suggest that the headline is not only accurate but relatively restrained. If the interview had been with the Sun? That last question left as an 'exercise for the reader', as those old textbooks used to say.
    Without seeing the previous questions we can't tell if it was unprompted.
    ConHome have the full transcript, the lead question was, what differences are there between yourself and Theresa May or something along those lines. She brought up having children unprompted and then the interviewer gave her enough rope to hang herself.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

malcolmg said:

Jobabob said:

Wanderer said:
    I'm not sure if this means it's on or it's off. One or the other. Or possibly Don't Know.
    Yvette/Chuka should now lead the PLP. Freeze out the left in parliament. Then go through the process of destroying the Momentum group through a well financed #savinglabour campaign. Corbyn and his rabble will be gone by end 2017.
    Two absolute donkeys, a snake oil salesman and an absolute no hoper. Labour are well and truly F****** if that is what they have to depend on.
    Morning Malc and thanks for your kind words sir!
    Morning Bob, I could have just laughed at your rapier wit , but I took the bait and told the truth
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Leadsom is top of the news billing - and the electorate now know that Leadsom has children, and May doesn't. Whether this should be an issue aside, the way it was done aside, like Leave's 350m claim, I don't think this is going to harm her.

Comedy Gold - and I'm a leaver who predicted both a leave win and Tory majority in 2015 on the back of winning libdem seats here.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

I've listened to the interview as posted by @Gadfly earlier, I don't know what Leadsom is complaining about. She was given a softball question about her being proud of her family, she then went on to draw the comparison between herself and May to paint May in a negative light. The interviewer didn't even mention Mrs May.

I find her lack of compassion pretty disconcerting. She claims to be a Christian, but I'm sure that compassion is one of the foundations of the religion having sat through endless sermons while at school.

We don't know what the preceding questions were. There seems to be an audio recording available, but the Times have chosen not to release it.
    There is a longer transcript on ConHome.

The open question that led to the conversation was "what is the main difference between you and Theresa May?". In answer to which Leadsom volunteers understanding the economy, being an optimist, and having children.

The interviewer then not surprisingly starts to explore the third of these.

I don't see any defence for Leadsom in the longer transcript? Indeed the emphasis in the original question "difference from May" makes bringing up children even worse. (And entirely justifies the Times headline)
    I've got friends with no kids. People who, I know, wanted kids. We talk about everything under the sun from sex to death to God to spin bowling. But, like any sentient human being, I know never to go near THAT subject, unless they start talking about it first. Which they generally don't.

It's an unspoken human rule. You don't mention it. Because it is pointlessly hurtful.

I think Leadsom is probably guiltier of stupid naivety than active nastiness. But it still damages her, badly.
    Politics is a rough old game. May's childlessness is of interest as was Heath's failure to marry.
    Not at all. It's off limits, as any decent person should know.
    The life experience of the PM candidates is surely important?
    Whatever we think of MPs, their lives are unbelievably busy, and they are rarely at home. Ministers even more so. I guess some journalists are right now doing some digging.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,071
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

I've listened to the interview as posted by @Gadfly earlier, I don't know what Leadsom is complaining about. May.

I find school.

We don't know what the preceding questions were. There seems to be an audio recording available, but the Times have chosen not to release it.

The open question that led to the conversation was "what is the main difference between you and Theresa May?". In answer to which Leadsom volunteers understanding the economy, being an optimist, and having children.

I don't see any defence for Leadsom in the longer transcript? Indeed the emphasis in the original question "difference from May" makes bringing up children even worse. (And entirely justifies the Times headline)
    I've got friends with no kids. People who, I know, wanted kids. We talk about everything under the sun from sex to death to God to spin bowling. But, like any sentient human being, I know never to go near THAT subject, unless they start talking about it first. Which they generally don't.

It's an unspoken human rule. You don't mention it. Because it is pointlessly hurtful.

I think Leadsom is probably guiltier of stupid naivety than active nastiness. But it still damages her, badly.
    Politics is a rough old game. May's childlessness is of interest as was Heath's failure to marry.
    It does feel as though ordinarily sensible people are overlooking a lot for the sake of ideological purity at the moment. This must be how Labour moderates feel when talking to the likes of Nick Palmer about Corbyn.

The thing to remember about Corbyn is that he has united the PLP against the hard left - it's not just moderates and "Blairites" that believe he is incapable of leadership. And, if the rumours are true, even some of those who supported him in the vote of no confidence have now lost confidence in him.

The other important point to note is that having abandoned its entire fiscal and economic policy, the government has made it easier for Labour to stand on an anti-austerity platform without being laughed out of court. It's not just Corbyn who can make that case now.

To be fair to Nick - and I say this as probably his sternest critic on here - he has always said it is about the policies. Let's now see if that is the case.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    The audio released backs up the Times article, they were exact quotes not something twisted by the journalist. If she was somehow led by the journalist to making her crass comments (which frankly doesn't look the case) then she wasn't clearly savvy enough to spot the trap and she didn't walk or stumble into it she sprinted into it.

In terms of Labour a party split might be the only realistic option left, if they finally have the courage to present a challenger to Corbyn for the leadership Corbyn will win due to their electoral rules. Even the threat of a split might spook the Unions enough into sacrificing Corbyn to save the party. Perhaps the ones behind the coup need to start releasing rumors to the press about meeting up to discuss starting a new party or setting it into motion.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,299

Not a single word on May's record in one of the great offices of state.

Which is?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

OK Andrea's leadership campaign has crashed and burned. She should now do the honourable thing and step out of the race, it will be painful but she should be honest and say "my inexperience has shown during this campaign that I am not ready to be PM and although I never meant any harm by my comments I know I shouldn't have said them". Said down gracefully instead of losing ungracefully.

I sincerely hope not. May has been crowned by the Remain media and not a spec of investigation/questioning. Hagiograhy sums up about 80% of it.

Electing a PM without proper scrutiny is an expediency driven mistake. Whomever wins/loses, they need to be seen to be beaten in a fair fight.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    edited July 2016

Mortimer said:

Leadsom is top of the news billing - and the electorate now know that Leadsom has children, and May doesn't. Whether this should be an issue aside, the way it was done aside, like Leave's 350m claim, I don't think this is going to harm her.

Comedy Gold - and I'm a leaver who predicted both a leave win and Tory majority in 2015 on the back of winning libdem seats here.
    I am serious.

I want May to win, and I will be voting for her. But Tory party members are a distinct electorate. Painting herself as motherhood and apple pie, as well as being the new Thatcher is tremendous marketing when the first day or so media narrative was 'who is this Leadsom - we know lots about May, solid and safe choice, great office of state yada yada'. however it is done, it is good tactics. Especially if it is part of a larger media strategy to drown out May's coverage.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2016
    Mortimer said:

Salmond, Sturgeon, Heath, Hague, Hilter, May etc. There's always been a suspicion about the barren who wish to lead. All terribly unfair.
  • Options
    BigIan said:

malcolmg said:

Jobabob said:

Wanderer said:
    I'm not sure if this means it's on or it's off. One or the other. Or possibly Don't Know.
    Yvette/Chuka should now lead the PLP. Freeze out the left in parliament. Then go through the process of destroying the Momentum group through a well financed #savinglabour campaign. Corbyn and his rabble will be gone by end 2017.
    Two absolute donkeys, a snake oil salesman and an absolute no hoper. Labour are well and truly F****** if that is what they have to depend on.
    All of which are an improvement over the incumbent.
    Yes, at least the Tories faced with exactly the same lineup still have some chance of going for the fifth one.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,870

Which is?
    Well quite, point taken.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Jobabob

'Not at all. It's off limits, as any decent person should know.'

Strange, can't remember your outrage when Yvette Cooper's campaign made same point about Liz Kendall

'Yvette Cooper attacked by Liz Kendall allies in 'childless' row ...
    www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Politics › Labour

7 Jul 2015 - Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, has been accused of highlighting the fact her Labour leadership rival Liz Kendall does not have any children to ... they are voting for him cos he has a kid and the other guy doesn't.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I was diagnosed with primary ovarian failure earlier this year. I hope to be able to foster or adopt children in the future. If I am unsuccessful in this does Leadsom believe that people such as me do not care about the future of this country?

I do not understand how anyone can support and trust this woman. She is a liar and an incredibly divisive figure at a time when our country needs unity.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016

Mortimer said:

Salmond, Sturgeon, Heath, Hague, Hilter, May etc. There's always been a suspicion about the barren who wish to lead. All terribly unfair.
    C'mon now a bit unfair to put Salmond in the same light as May. May is head and shoulders above him.

Are u seriously comparing Hitler to May.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

I've listened to the interview as posted by @Gadfly earlier, I don't know what Leadsom is complaining about. She was given a softball question about her being proud of her family, she then went on to draw the comparison between herself and May to paint May in a negative light. The interviewer didn't even mention Mrs May.

I find her lack of compassion pretty disconcerting. She claims to be a Christian, but I'm sure that compassion is one of the foundations of the religion having sat through endless sermons while at school.

Whatever we think of MPs, their lives are unbelievably busy, and they are rarely at home. Ministers even more so. I guess some journalists are right now doing some digging.
    Journalists concentrating on "investigating" Leadsom at the moment but as the campaign goes on they will get bored with that and turn their attention to investigating May.

Only then will we know May better as a person.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

6 pages on whether Andrea Leadsom thinks being a mother would make her a better PM.

Got to love the serious commentators on PB...

I do take your point. May is hardly Winston Churchill (wartime version). However, for me, it's come down to the practicalities. We have an accidental candidate versus one that has the bulk of the PCP support.

We mustn't do a Labour here. I voted Leave and I'll be voting May. That's because while Brexit is a huge deal, it isn't the only deal. There are more things in life than Brexit. It's a departmental manner. May could put Gove or Leadsom in charge of that department. It'd be fine. I don't need (and neither does the country, I would contend) a fire-breathing true believer in No 10.

May isn't the best candidate in the Conservative party. But I'm not being offered my pick of the bunch, in the same way that EuRef was a binary choice. No nuances allowed. It has to be May.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,115
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

I sincerely hope not. May has been crowned by the Remain media and not a spec of investigation/questioning. Hagiograhy sums up about 80% of it.

Electing a PM without proper scrutiny is an expediency driven mistake. Whomever wins/loses, they need to be seen to be beaten in a fair fight.
    Are the The Sun, The Mail, and The Telegraph the Remain media?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Being a PhD holder myself, I have Dr still on my passport (the companies I worked for would book foreign flights for me). However, I always put Mr on anything else. I have this worry otherwise that someone would come running up and ask for medical assistance.

"Let the bastard die," doesn't sound that sympathetic.

True story: in 2005, was flying home from Calgary after a conference in Banff, Alberta. Mid-way during flight, one of the attendants comes over and asks, "Are you a doctor? We got a passenger with chest pains."

I thought - oh shit, that'll teach me to put "dr" when buying my ticket! Luckily they did find someone else who was medically qualified, so the patient was OK in the end.
    It certainly used to be the case that pharmacists with PhD’were specifically instructed NOT to use the title anywhere where the public might become confused.
    It is also only a fanny that would do it in any case, bit like those losers that get knighted and then have sycophants calling them Sir, cringeworthy.
    Ive got more letters after my name than in it - including my middle name - but rarely use them even at work.

Basically only when Im writing a missive to correct some arrogant twunt then the letters appear on the end which adds to the impact.

Yours Mr Bedfordshire BEng(Hons) CEng MI** MI***
    Mr Bedfordshire, even though you have milked the public purse to an unbelievable degree, I assume you met the 10 years on the university teat and you are expelled, I applaud your BRASS neck.
    Having failed to understand my short note , it seems our largesse was completely wasted as a fool would have recognised that I was posting as a modest self effacing person who does not need to be wearing silly letters on their chest to prove they can use a pen and paper.
    At least you are not as silly as that and just enjoy the fact that you have an alphabet after your name that you can admire in your private moments.
    PS: Did they not teach grammar at your multitude of universities.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

(snipped)

Yes, I have an aunt who is infertile, the subject has never been mentioned and we were told as children not to bring it up. She loved my sister and I as if we were her own children growing up, along with the rest of my cousins. Looking back you could see just how much it hurt for her not to be able to have her own children. I'm astonished by the comparison made by Leadsom.
    I suspect the truth is not some much being nasty, but literally having nothing else to say. She has no idea what to do with the premiership. This is Chauncey Gardiner all over again.
    Yes, that makes sense. Just sitting there thinking Ooh, three things, Um, God, dunno, that's difficult, oh.. Wait. I've got kids. Theresa hasn't. Yes. I'll say that.

So she said it.

A charitable conclusion is that she's just a bit dim, as you imply.
    Was the "three things" format in vogue before, or did HM bring it into fashion?

(edited to try to get my bit out of the quote)
  • Options

Which is?
    Well May has managed to be Home Secretary for six years without managing to get herself into a media shitstorm like this....
  • Options
    BigIan said:

malcolmg said:

Jobabob said:

Wanderer said:
    All of which are an improvement over the incumbent.
    Always a silver lining.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I am serious.

I want May to win, and I will be voting for her. But Tory party members are a distinct electorate. Painting herself as motherhood and apple pie, as well as being the new Thatcher is tremendous marketing when the first day or so media narrative was 'who is this Leadsom - we know lots about May, solid and safe choice, great office of state yada yada'. however it is done, it is good tactics. Especially if it is part of a larger media strategy to drown out May's coverage.
    Whilst it's not a route I'd go down, that Mr & Mrs May didn't adopt is the next logical way this story goes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,642
    nunu said:

There has to be a Leaver in the membership ballot otherwise when May wins the leadership and signs up to EFTA/EEA it will make it even more difficult politically if she is not seen as having been given a full mandate, the only winners would be UKIP (who are going to be winners anyway now Leadsom has virtually no chance of winning, Kippers backed Leadsom but for party advantage they really want May)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,059
    IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Kippers will want to know whether she cleans behind the fridge no doubt.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

The audio released backs up the Times article, they were exact quotes not something twisted by the journalist. If she was somehow led by the journalist to making her crass comments (which frankly doesn't look the case) then she wasn't clearly savvy enough to spot the trap and she didn't walk or stumble into it she sprinted into it.

In terms of Labour a party split might be the only realistic option left, if they finally have the courage to present a challenger to Corbyn for the leadership Corbyn will win due to their electoral rules. Even the threat of a split might spook the Unions enough into sacrificing Corbyn to save the party. Perhaps the ones behind the coup need to start releasing rumors to the press about meeting up to discuss starting a new party or setting it into motion.

The reason there has not been a challenge to Corbyn so far is that every single Labour MP feels a huge sense of loyalty to and affection for the Labour party. From the outside, that may seem misguided and weak, but that's how it is. Every possibility of preventing an all out civil war would have to be exhausted before one is declared. It does seem as if we have now reached that point, though.

The PLP knows that if Corbyn is re-elected a split is unavoidable. If nothing else a lot of them are gong to be deselected, so will not sit under the Labour whip in the Commons. As a result, they have nothing much to lose. It's going to be interesting.

• Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Being a PhD holder myself, I have Dr still on my passport (the companies I worked for would book foreign flights for me). However, I always put Mr on anything else. I have this worry otherwise that someone would come running up and ask for medical assistance.

True story: in 2005, was flying home from Calgary after a conference in Banff, Alberta. Mid-way during flight, one of the attendants comes over and asks, "Are you a doctor? We got a passenger with chest pains."

I thought - oh shit, that'll teach me to put "dr" when buying my ticket! Luckily they did find someone else who was medically qualified, so the patient was OK in the end.
    It certainly used to be the case that pharmacists with PhD’were specifically instructed NOT to use the title anywhere where the public might become confused.
    It is also only a fanny that would do it in any case, bit like those losers that get knighted and then have sycophants calling them Sir, cringeworthy.
    Ive got more letters after my name than in it - including my middle name - but rarely use them even at work.

Basically only when Im writing a missive to correct some arrogant twunt then the letters appear on the end which adds to the impact.

Mr Bedfordshire, even though you have milked the public purse to an unbelievable degree, I assume you met the 10 years on the university teat and you are expelled, I applaud your BRASS neck.
    Having failed to understand my short note , it seems our largesse was completely wasted as a fool would have recognised that I was posting as a modest self effacing person who does not need to be wearing silly letters on their chest to prove they can use a pen and paper.
    At least you are not as silly as that and just enjoy the fact that you have an alphabet after your name that you can admire in your private moments.
    Lol I was agreeing with your sentiments you turnip.

And it was only three years at University on unpaid leave from work and back to work during the holidays. The other four were privately funded by my employer as day release to get an ONC and HNC but you dont get letters for that.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Even The Times wasn't exactly a remain cheerleader other than a few Matthew Parris pieces every so often. Leave had fair coverage. The Sunday Times came out for Leave as well.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Didn't The Times support Leave as well? Their editorial of her is also pretty critical.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

6 pages on whether Andrea Leadsom thinks being a mother would make her a better PM.

Common saying that councillors will spend hours discussing whether to buy a new wheelbarrow and pass a £million-pound proposal on the nod.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Ah yes. Godwin's law strikes again. May is like Hitler because neither had children.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

(snipped)

Yes, I have an aunt who is infertile, the subject has never been mentioned and we were told as children not to bring it up. She loved my sister and I as if we were her own children growing up, along with the rest of my cousins. Looking back you could see just how much it hurt for her not to be able to have her own children. I'm astonished by the comparison made by Leadsom.
    I suspect the truth is not some much being nasty, but literally having nothing else to say. She has no idea what to do with the premiership. This is Chauncey Gardiner all over again.
    Yes, that makes sense. Just sitting there thinking Ooh, three things, Um, God, dunno, that's difficult, oh.. Wait. I've got kids. Theresa hasn't. Yes. I'll say that.

So she said it.

A charitable conclusion is that she's just a bit dim, as you imply.
    Was the "three things" format in vogue before, or did HM bring it into fashion?
    She wasn't asked for three things, she was asked how she is different from May. Normal advice to a politician is to talk only about what you want the story to be, rather than what the reporter might want as a story. Hence one thing was enough. If her killer point was that she understands the economy (... better than May) then she should have just stuck to that. Given the uneconomic uncertainty we all face, that is actually one of her few selling points, assuming she was doing more than just the filing, at Barclays et al.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    edited July 2016

I was diagnosed with primary ovarian failure earlier this year. I hope to be able to foster or adopt children in the future. If I am unsuccessful in this does Leadsom believe that people such as me do not care about the future of this country?

I do not understand how anyone can support and trust this woman. She is a liar and an incredibly divisive figure at a time when our country needs unity.

Sorry to hear that Ms Apocalypse.

On your second question, party members often project their expectations of competency and electability on those prospective leaders whose policies most closely match their desires. I was tempted towards Leadsom because of her small business regulation bonfire idea - but her A50 approach is mad and suggests, to me, inexperience. That said, I don't imagine many party members will be as concerned about that as those on here...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Even The Times wasn't exactly a remain cheerleader other than a few Matthew Parris pieces every so often. Leave had fair coverage. The Sunday Times came out for Leave as well.
    Nonsense - in the last week/Jo Cox and ever since, The Times is beyond one eyed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,338
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Many people seem to have issues about the definition of a "fair fight". Especially when the odds are greatly stacked in their favour, and yet they still lose!
  • Options
    nunu said:

Mortimer said:

C'mon now a bit unfair to put Salmond in the same light as May. May is head and shoulders above him.

Are u seriously comparing Hitler to May.
    May could not lace Salmond's boots, you are obviously at the kidding.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Which is?
    May is like John Major. She rose without trace.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Didn't The Times support Leave as well? Their editorial of her is also pretty critical.
    The Times supported REMAIN.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Nonsense - in the last week/Jo Cox and ever since, The Times is beyond one eyed.
    Is it The Times that was one eyed or you? I voted leave and campaigned with Vote Leave, I just didn't and don't see it.
  • Options

Which is?
    Well May has managed to be Home Secretary for six years without managing to get herself into a media shitstorm like this....
    six years of inactivity is seen as the shining hope of the Tories, just about says it all. She did nothing so has not failed.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Ah yes. Godwin's law strikes again. May is like Hitler because neither had children.
    Except Hitler did have a son Jean-Marie Loret
  • Options
    John_M said:

I do take your point. May is hardly Winston Churchill (wartime version). However, for me, it's come down to the practicalities. We have an accidental candidate versus one that has the bulk of the PCP support.

We mustn't do a Labour here. I voted Leave and I'll be voting May. That's because while Brexit is a huge deal, it isn't the only deal. There are more things in life than Brexit. It's a departmental manner. May could put Gove or Leadsom in charge of that department. It'd be fine. I don't need (and neither does the country, I would contend) a fire-breathing true believer in No 10.
    Well, this is where our paths diverge. We've had non-fire-breathing 'chillaxers' at the helm of a Tory-led Government for 6 years. Far from some Prince Metternich style 'realpolitik' steering of the ship of state, we've had 6 years of waste, debt, bombing, trying to get us into wars, creeping authoritarianism, etc. I don't mind compromises being made along the way. But we must not confuse compromises made in the interests of our country, with comprising THE interests of our country.

• Options

IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Investigatory journalists should be looking behind each candidate's fridge to determine which is the cleanest.

The country should be told.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

AFAIK C. Eng is a work-based qualification, not one obtained by full-time study. Same applies to the various Institute Memberships.
    And, sadly, ungrammatical essays in technical subjects at universities do not tend to get as marked down as, IMHO, they should.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

And it was only three years at University on unpaid leave from work and back to work during the holidays. The other four were privately funded by my employer as day release to get an ONC and HNC but you dont get letters for that.
    I was joking as well so a pair of turnips. I just said to my wife after laughing at your post , how witty I was and you go and burst my bubble by thinking I was serious.

PS: she HALF agreed with me
  • Options
  • Options

I'm very sorry to hear that Ms Apocalypse. It must be very difficult to come to terms with. Bless you for considering adoption. It's one of the scandals in this country that so few children are successfully adopted.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

On your second question, party members are often project their expectations of competency and electability on those prospective leaders whose policies most closely match their desires. I was tempted towards Leadsom because of her small business regulation bonfire idea - but her A50 approach is mad and suggests, to me, inexperience. That said, I don't imagine many party members will be as concerned about that as those on here...
    I think the most concerning thing about Leadsom is the question marks over her competence. If running a leadership campaign (and specifically, media management) is a real struggle for her how will she fare in running the country?
  • Options

Which is?
    Yes. 6 years of not putting her head over the parapet. That's the sum total. It's risible.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,857

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

Sunil Prasannan, BSc. (Hons.), ARCS, PhD, DIC*

*that's Diploma of Imperial College, NOT Drunk in charge!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Childless people: Leonardo da Vinci. Immanuel Kant. Elizabeth the First. Sir Isaac Newton. Call me blinkered, but I'd prefer any of them as Tory leader to gifted mother Andrea Leadsom
    Parenthood turned your life around. Don't ignore its significance.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

Ha!

TheWhiteRabbit BSc.

That's Bronze Swimming Certificate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,147

Which is?
    Yes. 6 years of not putting her head over the parapet. That's the sum total. It's risible.
    6 years twiddling your thumbs is enough to drive anyone crazy.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Childless people: Leonardo da Vinci. Immanuel Kant. Elizabeth the First. Sir Isaac Newton. Call me blinkered, but I'd prefer any of them as Tory leader to gifted mother Andrea Leadsom
    Strange, I really thought it was you who made that impassioned tweet during the indyref about 'Please don't take my daughter's identity away', and further posting during EUref about your concern for your children's future.

I must have been mistaken - you would never have been so crassly insensitive to the barren.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

And it was only three years at University on unpaid leave from work and back to work during the holidays. The other four were privately funded by my employer as day release to get an ONC and HNC but you dont get letters for that.</blockquote

I had a guy for a job interview ( internal company job ), he had multiple degrees and super clever. he had gone to uni in Scotland and loved climbing so had kept taking courses till he got chucked out at the 10 year maximum point, he said he was devastated at the time.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

On your second question, party members are often project their expectations of competency and electability on those prospective leaders whose policies most closely match their desires. I was tempted towards Leadsom because of her small business regulation bonfire idea - but her A50 approach is mad and suggests, to me, inexperience. That said, I don't imagine many party members will be as concerned about that as those on here...
    I think the most concerning thing about Leadsom is the question marks over her competence. If running a leadership campaign (and specifically, media management) is a real struggle for her how will she fare in running the country?

I'd throw the fibs into the mix too. She gets found out very easily.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Except Hitler did have a son Jean-Marie Loret
    "Leadsom like Hitler because both had children" revellation. :)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

The Times was Remain and The Sunday Times was for Leave.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

Oh no. Ive started a letters after your name willy waving contest.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,579
    edited July 2016

IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Hubby or nanny does that I guess.
  • Options

Which is?
    If only a politician was brilliant enough to campaign on the basis that they would spend five years heading off all potential crises and otherwise would keep out of our way and let people get on with their lives without undue meddling (except reading our emails now and again)!

That would be perfect (except the bit about the emails).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

The only ones that matter - "PB Tory" ;)
  • Options

The Times supported REMAIN.

Ah, I stand corrected. I must have gotten confused with The Sunday Times.
    John_M said:

I'm very sorry to hear that Ms Apocalypse. It must be very difficult to come to terms with. Bless you for considering adoption. It's one of the scandals in this country that so few children are successfully adopted.
    I've tried to think of it from a positive perspective: that in the future I can hopefully give someone in need a home and a great upbringing. I'm 22, not home-owner and I only work part-time due to uni, so I'm not in a position now to foster or adopt. My aunt fosters children and so many of the kids I've spoken to have had very traumatic experiences within social services. This is one of the big reasons why I would like to foster/adopt. Every child deserves to have a fantastic childhood.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Hubby or nanny does that I guess.
    Train the kids to do it, they have smaller hands.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Malcolm, when you are writing humour, do you think in the Doric or in Gaelic? In either case, there’s something lacking in the translation!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Portillo too, remember Tebbit's remarks about IDS being 'a normal family man with children' at the time of the 2001 Tory leadership election. Not surprisingly Tebbit is now backing Leadsom
  • Options
    Yes, the Daily Mash often not too far from the truth
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

Bless. All of you waving your letters from real dump Unis like Imperial College and Oxford like it means something.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Agreed. CV-gate and now this unravelled pretty quickly. Interestingly, this is another parallel between Leadsom and Corbyn. Both are absolutely diabolical at media management and are economical with the truth.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,579
    Jeezo, this interview is just going to keep on giving..

https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/751685576869474304
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

I've yet to receive a professorship, an FRS or a Lordship :)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

As previously noted, Lib Dems are the most educated.

David Evershed BSc(Eng), PhD, MIET, C.Eng, FCMA, CGMA

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Oh Jesus.

12 years of Tory Party modernisation gone at once....
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    malcolmg said:

I had a guy for a job interview ( internal company job ), he had multiple degrees and super clever. he had gone to uni in Scotland and loved climbing so had kept taking courses till he got chucked out at the 10 year maximum point, he said he was devastated at the time.

Oh dear - and dosent mean so much now since Major turned the polytechnics into universitites and then Blair decided half tbe population should go.

It was about 10-20% when I went in the late 80s. Even then tbere were guys doing Phds who seemed to be trying to avoid the rigours of the real world for as long as possible.

It only takes seven years at most to get a Phd via batchelors and masters. What was he doing the other three?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,046

Mortimer said:

And crisis handling - since the story appeared she's stoked the flames, not doused them....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Which is?
    If only a politician was brilliant enough to campaign on the basis that they would spend five years heading off all potential crises and otherwise would keep out of our way and let people get on with their lives without undue meddling (except reading our emails now and again)!

Without undue meddling? This is MAY we're speaking about?

The parents of Aysha King might have something to say about that. The dying boy who the NHS was so determined to keep within it's 'care' that it used the European Arrest Warrant that May needlessly (even the Lib Dems were surprised) opted into, to have his parents arrested for seeking treatment for him elsewhere.

The boy that the NHS tried to condemn to death was free of cancer as of 2015: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/11489212/Brain-tumour-boy-Ashya-King-is-free-of-cancer-parents-say.html

That is REAL politics - REAL decisions, that say something either about real character (Theresa is a committed europhile masquerading as a eurosceptic) or lack of it (she bent to pressure from Cameron and Osborne).

Alternatively everyone could choose to be influenced by twitter wanking itself to a stump over a less than dazzling interview.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

That list looks incomplete.... where's your BCC? (Bar Chart Certificate) :D
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited July 2016
    David Cameron just announced a July Trident vote at the NATO Summit. (BBC News 24) 18th July to look forward.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Went over to see Con Home's reaction to the story and the subsequent recording coming out as I thought there was no possible way this could be spun in a positive light for Leadsom. Foolishly I was wrong...
  • Options

Millions of pounds of free publicity for Andrea's sound thinking thanks to useful idiots like yourself. Keep it up, EUDivvie.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

Bless. All of you waving your letters from real dump Unis like Imperial College and Oxford like it means something.
    Salford in my case. We are hard.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Which is?

Without undue meddling? This is MAY we're speaking about?

The parents of Aysha King might have something to say about that. The dying boy who the NHS was so determined to keep within it's 'care' that it used the European Arrest Warrant that May needlessly (even the Lib Dems were surprised) opted into, to have his parents arrested for seeking treatment for him elsewhere.

The boy that the NHS tried to condemn to death was free of cancer as of 2015: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/11489212/Brain-tumour-boy-Ashya-King-is-free-of-cancer-parents-say.html

That is REAL politics - REAL decisions, that say something either about real character (Theresa is a committed europhile masquerading as a eurosceptic) or lack of it (she bent to pressure from Cameron and Osborne).

Alternatively everyone could choose to be influenced by twitter wanking itself to a stump over a less than dazzling interview.
    Did you miss the "if only"?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Don't forget Sunil Prasannan himself!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,151
    A lot of Engineers on here making my solitary 'BEng (Hons)' from Newcastle look bad!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    One wonders how negotiations between Prime Minister Leadsom and the childless Chancellor of Germany might go. The diplomatic exchanges would be a treat to listen to.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

That list looks incomplete.... where's your BCC? (Bar Chart Certificate) :D
    Spinning here! :lol:
  • Options

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Ahem!!!

"No, no, I'M Doctor Martin Harris!"
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Sunil,

Malcolm, when you are writing humour, do you think in the Doric or in Gaelic? In either case, there’s something lacking in the translation!
    OKC, it is Scottish humour dark and funny, you southern boys just don't get it. Alternatively I have a warped sense of humour.
  • Options

A lot of Engineers on here making my solitary 'BEng (Hons)' from Newcastle look bad!

A surpising number - mind you engineers were far more right wing than other students at University.
  • Options

Oh Jesus.

12 years of Tory Party modernisation gone at once....
    Leadsom supporters probably think modernisation was a mistake and hope that the project departs alongside Cameron. Not remotely surprised Leadsom would think that, though.
  • Options
    Angela Eagle to challenge Jez
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Oh dear - and dosent mean so much now since Major turned the polytechnics into universitites and then Blair decided half tbe population should go.

It was about 10-20% when I went in the late 80s. Even then tbere were guys doing Phds who seemed to be trying to avoid the rigours of the real world for as long as possible.

It only takes seven years at most to get a Phd via batchelors and masters. What was he doing the other three?
    This was one of the points I made during Euref. All the sneering about older voters being less educated. It's because people generally didn't go to university back in the day. It didn't even hit 20% until the very early 90s. From memory, in my cohort (1979), 13% went onto Higher Education.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Climbing mountains no doubt
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,168
    Back on topic, The Guardian seems to think Eagle will be launching her campaign on Monday. It's a brutal business, writing these threads.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/jeremy-corbyn-set-for-leadership-challenge-after-peace-talks-fail
  • Options

I don't call myself a feminist either because I'm not anti-men nor seeking special treatment for being 50% of the population.

Feminism isn't something I feel anything in common with - it's Harperson politics.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Strange, I really thought it was you who made that impassioned tweet during the indyref about 'Please don't take my daughter's identity away', and further posting during EUref about your concern for your children's future.

I must have been mistaken - you would never have been so crassly insensitive to the barren.
    Yawn. There's a difference between that - and explicitly referring to someone else's unwanted childlessness. Which IS what I did to Tyson, and for which I apologised.
    You expressed a specific concern for the future based on parenthood. I don't have any kids yet. I find people's obsession with their own kids faintly funny, but I don't think it's wicked or deliberately insensitive.

Leadsom has been in 'my kids' mode for the entirety of the Brexit campaign. I imagine that it's been an essential counter-argument to the loud claims from Remainers that Brexiters are retired wreckers who don't care about future generations.

Personally I'd rather see her attacked on her record - all I've heard so far is that Osborne doesn't like her.
This discussion has been closed.