Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says the Eagle has floundered

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    malcolmg said:

taffys said:

I notice many of the 'conservatives' on here are silent about the extreme folly of the MPs who backed Crabb for Prime minister.

Some forms of incompetence are more equal than others.

Voting Crabb was always for next time though.
    Hopefully someone with some talent will have emerged by then
    Hopefully he will have some talent by then! If he doesn't, there won't be a next time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,071

Mr. Borough, I think MPs tweeting Leadsom should withdraw helps her. It'll, I imagine, irritate the membership, who they're advocating should have no say.

Keep a tally of those MPs. If it exceeds 6, that's the majority gone.
    No it's not, that's like saying May's majority is gone too as Leadsom has more than six supporting her.
    If they're calling on her to withdraw now, how loyal do you think they would be to her in future?
    Boris will be right behind her. And Crabb.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Ishmael_X said:

Marriage has more than just state "involvement". It's basically a state thing - a fact blurred in England by the fact that the C of E can't decide whether it (the C of E) is church or state. Note that no other religion except the C of E can create a marriage without giving 28 days notice to the Register Office. We have piled so much cultural and religious junk on top of the basic legal relationship that it's difficult to see what objection there is to piling gay marriage on with all the other stuff. Oddly, I think I would be vehemently offended by the idea that I might want to enter a gay marriage, if I were actually gay, on the grounds that it is patronising and uncle Tom-ish and no one has solved the problem of how the groom and groom should dress without looking silly. But Leadsom wibbling about a lot of Christians writing to her about it is just plain silly.

Thank you for the Gays,
    Those endless Gays, those sacred Gays you gave me.
    I'm thinking of the Gays,
    I won't forget a single Gay, believe me.

I bless the light,
    I bless the light that lights on you believe me.
    And though you're gone,
    You're with me every single Gay, believe me.

Gays I'll remember all my life,
    Gays when you can't see wrong from right.
    You took my life,
    But then I knew that very soon you'd leave me,
    But it's all right,
    Now I'm not frightened of this world, believe me.

I wish today could be tomorrow,
    The night is dark,
    It just brings sorrow anyway.

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    I bless the light that shines on you believe me.
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Is it any wonder that I think modern pop, post 1960's, is absolute rubbish; except ABBA of course.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Mr. Borough, I think MPs tweeting Leadsom should withdraw helps her. It'll, I imagine, irritate the membership, who they're advocating should have no say.

No it's not, that's like saying May's majority is gone too as Leadsom has more than six supporting her.
    If they're calling on her to withdraw now, how loyal do you think they would be to her in future?
    The future is uncertain.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Grovelling sycophancy?
    I don't think you really have the hang of how small majorities work, which is odd because the headbanger Europhobic MPs have been giving a tutorial since the last election.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    PlatoSaid said:

midwinter said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I think Andrea would be advised to withdraw from the leadership race. Let Theresa take over (she'll almost certainly prove to be a disaster - She's really not a character the public will ever warm to) and then Andrea might be able to have another run in 2020.

Because of one hostile interview? Nonsense.

No, because she's too inexperienced and accident prone. If she was to become leader she'll have a miserable time because she doesn't command the support of her parliamentary party, the media hate her and because she keeps screwing up she doesn't help herself.

Much better to step aside with dignity, let Theresa take take over and prove to the Tories version of Gordon Brown, and then be well placed to have a run with a much fairer wind behind her in 2020.
    Got a feeling Ruth Davidson will be in the running for the next Tory leadership and Leadsom didn't compare well with her in the BBC debate.
    All Davidson did in that debate was talk over the other team.
    I went right off her during the debates. I put it down to the nature of Holyrood - but I found her bombastic and overbearing/self-righteous.
    It was a tough gig. They weren't given anything to sell.

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Embed from Getty Images

Tim Loughton is Andrea Leadsom's campaign manager.

In September 2013 the Telegraph quoted a speech of his to Conservative activists:
    "The person who was actually in charge of family policy amongst the ministerial team at the DfE was Sarah Teather. Which was a bit difficult because she didn't really believe in family.
    "She certainly didn't produce one of her own. So it became a bit of a family-free zone. I think that was a huge disappointment."
    Loughton later told the BBC that he would apologist to Teather.

Jo Swinson had it right in her quote in the Telegraph story:
    "Using someone’s lack of children as an insult is shameful, crass and, frankly, disgusting. It reflects far more on him than on Sarah."
    All in all, a remarkable coincidence.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,589
    MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Marriage has more than just state "involvement". It's basically a state thing - a fact blurred in England by the fact that the C of E can't decide whether it (the C of E) is church or state. Note that no other religion except the C of E can create a marriage without giving 28 days notice to the Register Office. We have piled so much cultural and religious junk on top of the basic legal relationship that it's difficult to see what objection there is to piling gay marriage on with all the other stuff. Oddly, I think I would be vehemently offended by the idea that I might want to enter a gay marriage, if I were actually gay, on the grounds that it is patronising and uncle Tom-ish and no one has solved the problem of how the groom and groom should dress without looking silly. But Leadsom wibbling about a lot of Christians writing to her about it is just plain silly.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Is it any wonder that I think modern pop, post 1960's, is absolute rubbish; except ABBA of course.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you Mike - I think we can all get behind love of ABBA.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Sunil has adapted the song, the original was first released in the 1968 by the Kinks.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,217
    Tim Loughton is a very, very bitter man.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited July 2016
    MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

1. That was released 28 June 1968. 2. Dr Prasanan's version differs slightly from the original. 3. You cannot assess a song intended to be sung, on a reading of the printed lyrics.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    If Leadsom is going to get sledged by "colleagues" and the media for the next couple of months its going to be interesting to see how bitter her supporters get. Someone isn't thinking through the long game, if even a dozen of the eighty MPs that are supporting her feel unsupportive and badly treated, May is a lame duck before she takes office
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

I knew there was a reason I liked you Mike - I think we can all get behind love of ABBA.
    Money, money, money is the first music vid I can recall.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,975

The future is uncertain.
    Or as in the old joke about the Soviet Union (and subsequently New Labour)

The Future is Certain!
    It's the past that keeps changing....
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited July 2016

Grovelling sycophancy?
    I don't think you really have the hang of how small majorities work, which is odd because the headbanger Europhobic MPs have been giving a tutorial since the last election.
    Leadsom would have a hellish time getting anything through the Commons. The question is how easy May would find it. She'd be very unwise to delay an election, imho.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Guess who had "Dancing Queen" as one of their Desert Island disks?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

1. That was released 28 June 1968. 2. Mr Prasanan's version differs slightly from the original. 3. You cannot assess a song intended to be sung, on a reading of the printed lyrics.
    I do know that Sunil changed the words. 1968 is near enough post sixties for me. ;)
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Andrea Leadson?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,475
    MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Abba's overhyped tosh. ;)

But it's a good question: what is the 'best' song from each decade? for me: 1960s: Eleanor Rigby. 1970s: Space Oddity or Bohemian Rhapsody. 1980s: Blue Monday. 1990s: Girls & Boys. 2000s: no idea!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''May is a lame duck before she takes office''

Doesn;t really matter as May won't actually try to do anything. Look at just about everything she says. Its just making room for her inaction.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Grovelling sycophancy?
    Leadsom would have a hellish time getting anything through the Commons. The question is how easy May would find it. She'd be very unwise to delay an election, imho.
    Her commitment not to hold one before 2020 is the strangest thing she has said so far. It looks completely foolish to me.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,762
    Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

1. That was released 28 June 1968. 2. Mr Prasanan's version differs slightly from the original. 3. You cannot assess a song intended to be sung, on a reading of the printed lyrics.
    It's Dr. Prasannan, I didn't spend ten years in Evil Medical School Imperial College to be called "mister," thank you very much.

:)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Meeks, there's an argument an election creates more uncertainty.

The timing of the election and Article 50 will be interesting.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

If Leadsom is going to get sledged by "colleagues" and the media for the next couple of months its going to be interesting to see how bitter her supporters get. Someone isn't thinking through the long game, if even a dozen of the eighty MPs that are supporting her feel unsupportive and badly treated, May is a lame duck before she takes office

"Sledged" is an interesting new weasel word in this context. Would you say that Tony Blair was "sledged" by Chilcot?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

I do know that Sunil changed the words. 1968 is near enough post sixties for me. ;)
    Indeed, 8 is a larger number than 9 for most practical purposes.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

I know I'm a bit of an 80s afficionado (I wasn't even born till the mid-70s), but I absolutely love that Kinks song - hence the thread-relevant "homage" :)
  • Options
    Mr. X, it's a cricketing reference to verbal abuse/insults uttered to try and morally destroy the opposition.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Grovelling sycophancy?
    Her commitment not to hold one before 2020 is the strangest thing she has said so far. It looks completely foolish to me.
    I think it a play for stability 'this is not the time' sort of thing as people are very uncertain right now, but it's the sort of thing I can see being dropped if it seems convenient - she'll say matters have changed and it's time, and if she looks like winning, her party will forgive the change in position.
  • Options
    Since this is a betting site, it is worth noting that Betfair hasn't reacted all that much to the story in the Times. Andrea Leadsom was hovering around 4.3 last night and has stayed around 4.9 since the story broke.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

For me it was The Wall (Pink Floyd), Xmas number 1, 1979.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr. kle4, also avoids the Brown problem of being seen to bottle an election. Wiser to rule it out and (if necessary) change, then leave it open and looking frit if you don't hold an early one.

Edited extra bit: than* not then. Ahem.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Having children taught me some important new skills: like how to hold a baby, a glass of wine and a book simultaneously.

A baby, a glass of wine, a book, and RCS are at a river. RCS has one boat fitting one item and himself. If he takes the wine, the baby will eat the book. If he takes the book the baby will drink the wine; however, the book will not damage the wine. How does he transport them all safely?

Added note: he is not allowed to use a Gulfstream.
    He eats the baby.
    He makes a little raft for the baby and the book and pulls these alongside the boat as he savours the wine.

It would be helpful to know

a) What the book is called? "How to make rafts", would be useful.
    b) The quality of the wine?
    Is the book perchance of a substantial size, constructed from balsa wood and with a hollowed out centre, i.e. ideal therefore for transporting babies, raft like? If so it's mission accomplished.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

It's Dr. Prasannan, I didn't spend ten years in Evil Medical School Imperial College to be called "mister," thank you very much.

I am a Dr myself, and so sensitive on the topic I had already corrected my post. (Only a pretend PhD doctor incidentally, before anyone asks for a Heimlich manoeuvre).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Marriage has more than just state "involvement". It's basically a state thing - a fact blurred in England by the fact that the C of E can't decide whether it (the C of E) is church or state. Note that no other religion except the C of E can create a marriage without giving 28 days notice to the Register Office. We have piled so much cultural and religious junk on top of the basic legal relationship that it's difficult to see what objection there is to piling gay marriage on with all the other stuff. Oddly, I think I would be vehemently offended by the idea that I might want to enter a gay marriage, if I were actually gay, on the grounds that it is patronising and uncle Tom-ish and no one has solved the problem of.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Andrea Leadson?
    Despite winning the Wimbledon Singles, negotiating the Versailles Peace Treaty and having late night tete a tete with Eddie George, by some curious oversight the BBC have yet to invite the undistinguished junior minister world famous political Titan on their show.

Guess again....
  • Options
    F1: red flag, Ericsson's crashed. May or may not be ready for qualifying.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Abba's overhyped tosh. ;)

But it's a good question: what is the 'best' song from each decade? for me: 1960s: Eleanor Rigby. 1970s: Space Oddity or Bohemian Rhapsody. 1980s: Blue Monday. 1990s: Girls & Boys. 2000s: no idea!
    90s: Madonna - Vogue. That was super song.

I used to have her soundtrack to Dick Tracey. Really good album.

• Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Lots of school children in the video? I certainly remember the song being on TOTP.
  • Options

Mr. X, it's a cricketing reference to verbal abuse/insults uttered to try and morally destroy the opposition.

Yes quite; it is therefore very much a misrepresentation of what Leadsom is getting, is my point, in that true sledging is designed for maximal annoyance value absolutely independent of any underlying truth. The word is being used to trivialise the complaints against Leadsom which in fact have a lot of substance, as things look at present.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Grovelling sycophancy?
    She's setting herself up for a more extreme version of the Major experience.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,945

Since this is a betting site, it is worth noting that Betfair hasn't reacted all that much to the story in the Times. Andrea Leadsom was hovering around 4.3 last night and has stayed around 4.9 since the story broke.

Yep. Good point. I'm guessing punters are taking the view that this won't change many minds in the membership despite the twitter storm.
  • Options
    F1: Ericsson's just had a massive smash, mostly head-on. It looks as though he's okay, but interestingly his steering wheel came off in the impact and looks as though it may have hit him in the helmet's visor.

First time I've seen that in any formula.

I can see the authorities taking a look at that.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,589

Mr. Meeks, there's an argument an election creates more uncertainty.

The timing of the election and Article 50 will be interesting.

Mr Dancer - I actually think there's good reason to wait on GE. If Labour's standoff continues and drags on then the Conservative position improves over time. I wouldn't trouble with an election whilst Labour is on fire, I'd wait until they were a pile of ashes.

A50 is more difficult to determine. There's advantage to waiting but not too long. So I guess December-February would be the rough timing.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

I am a Dr myself, and so sensitive on the topic I had already corrected my post. (Only a pretend PhD doctor incidentally, before anyone asks for a Heinlich manoeuvre).
    Good to see a fellow PhD on here, DR Ishmael_X!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,517
    edited July 2016
    MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Ah, those first, golden 3 years.

'Sexual intercourse began
    In nineteen sixty-three
    (which was rather late for me) -
    Between the end of the Chatterley ban
    And the Beatles' first LP.'
  • Options

I think the market is taking the right view. Which is disappointing, of course.
  • Options

Yep. Good point. I'm guessing punters are taking the view that this won't change many minds in the membership despite the twitter storm.
    That's my own view as it happens. EEA Leavers were already clutching their pearls at the thought of a Leadsom premiership and all this has done is fortify them in their views. True believers may well regard the cause as infinitely more important.

No one is picking Andrea Leadsom for her political experience or adroitness.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Tim Loughton is a very, very bitter man.

Does he have a good reason? Did a solid job as Minister including reforming the adoption processes to have fewer children in care and more adopted and then saw Osborne bring in Liz Truss and her "5 kids per assistant" proposal which was then not implemented after the LDs blocked it. Ms Truss should have resigned on principle but forgot what her principles were...
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

snip

Lots of school children in the video? I certainly remember the song being on TOTP.
    As a Pink Floyd fan, I have ordered the Royal Mail's new band album cover postage stamp collection. Got emailed yesterday to say the demand had been so huge I will have to wait another week or two.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

at I might want to enter a gay marriage, if I were actually gay, on the grounds that it is patronising and uncle Tom-ish and no one has solved the problem of.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,

The night is dark,

Thank you for the Gays,

You took my life,
    But it's all right,
    Gays.

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

Andrea Leadson?
    Despite winning the Wimbledon Singles, negotiating the Versailles Peace Treaty and having late night tete a tete with Eddie George, by some curious oversight the BBC have yet to invite the undistinguished junior minister world famous political Titan on their show.

Guess again....
    "This is Frau Leadsom, founder and leader of the militant wing of the Salvation Army."
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, indeed. Can't recall it happening before either.

Mr. Jim, someone here suggested late year (calendar year) made sense as otherwise we'd pay a year's fees for 2 months (if February) of membership.
  • Options
    Is Mrs Leadsom leaving it too late to throw in the towel in the next couple of days, on the basis that after reflecting on her situation in having less than 1/3 of the MPs support it would make her position as PM untenable. et etc?
  • Options

That's my own view as it happens. EEA Leavers were already clutching their pearls at the thought of a Leadsom premiership and all this has done is fortify them in their views. True believers may well regard the cause as infinitely more important.

Presumably it doesn't occur to them that Leadsom's inexperience will lead to a period of chaos during which nothing much will get done, EEA or otherwise. We'll trigger A50 within five minutes of her taking office and then...nothing but arguments, platitudes about apple pie and gaffes that upset the French/Germans etc.

• Options

Would LEEAvers be a useful neologism?
  • Options

Is Mrs Leadsom leaving it too late to throw in the towel in the next couple of days, on the basis that after reflecting on her situation in having less than 1/3 of the MPs support it would make her position as PM untenable. et etc?

Short of a health issue, neither candidate is going to drop out.
  • Options

Presumably it doesn't occur to them that Leadsom's inexperience will lead to a period of chaos during which nothing much will get done, EEA or otherwise. We'll trigger A50 within five minutes of her taking office and then...nothing but arguments, platitudes about apple pie and gaffes that upset the French/Germans etc.

And French and German elections in the middle.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    Leadsom just on Sky - she's really pissed off with The Times. Statement, no questions.
  • Options

She doesn't strike me as that kind of person. You'd have to be able to think straight for a start.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,135

Is the conservative party in the country really going to be outraged by the assertion that motherhood is meritorious? No...
  • Options

If that was a tenable reason to throw in the towel, why bother having rules to put it to the members in the first place, if that's a problem they need a rule wherein if the 1st place person has enough of the MPs then there is no run off members vote. Not without its own drawbacks, but as it is I thought the rules were such she could have had 2 MPs,Gove 1 MP and May the rest and under the rules unless she withdraws there should be a vote.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Would LEEAvers be a useful neologism?
    An excellent one. I'm stealing that!
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Grovelling sycophancy?
    But Mrs May could end up with a slightly bigger majority but more LEAVE backing MPs. The reason is that there would be a number of retirements - possibly 20 - and some rushed deselections.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T and for any PBers that have some knowledge of American law.

What would happen if a black man was pulled over by the police and then shot and killed a policeman as he approached, using self defence as the justification. He could use the recent killing as justification that he was in fear of his life!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Leadsom just on Sky - she's really pissed off with The Times. Statement, no questions.

What did she say?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Thank you for the Gays,

I bless the light,
    And though you're gone,
    Gays.

I am a Dr myself, and so sensitive on the topic I had already corrected my post. (Only a pretend PhD doctor incidentally, before anyone asks for a Heimlich manoeuvre).
    Slightly off topic: Recently Dr Heimlich got to do his eponymous manoeuvre for the first time in an emergency at the youthful age of 96:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36400365
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,935
    Interesting how the Tory Titans of the Leave campaign have all crashed and burnt within 2 weeks of the result. With old Nige exiting the stage with unseemly haste as well who are we going to hold accountable for the ensuing shambles?

• Options

F1: red flag, Ericsson's crashed. May or may not be ready for qualifying.

Looking at the force of the impact, I'd guess he might be medicalled out of qualifying, regardless of whether they can repair the car. Probably wrong though.

According to some elsewhere, his knee came up on impact and knocked the steering wheel off.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

What would happen if a black man was pulled over by the police and then shot and killed a policeman as he approached, using self defence as the justification. He could use the recent killing as justification that he was in fear of his life!

You did hear the news of 5 policemen being killed in Dallas?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Blue_rog said:

In light of recent events, I’d have thought the shoe was on the other foot.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Interesting how the Tory Titans of the Leave campaign have all crashed and burnt within 2 weeks of the result. With old Nige exiting the stage with unseemly haste as well who are we going to hold accountable for the ensuing shambles?

The public (that is, myself and other leavers). If you mean which politicians to hold to account, well, the prominent leavers can still be blamed if things do go wrong, even if people like May try and fail to manage the aftermath.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Blue_rog said:

You did hear the news of 5 policemen being killed in Dallas?
    Yes, but that is different - a loony sniper
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, indeed. Can't recall it happening before either.

Mr. Jim, someone here suggested late year (calendar year) made sense as otherwise we'd pay a year's fees for 2 months (if February) of membership.

Aren't we full members until we actually quit. Therefore triggering A50 won't immediately cease our membership dues.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

What did she say?

It was pretty short. How disgusted she was, that she'd been repeatedly asked about her children etc, made it crystal clear that she didn't want any comparison drawn with May.

I didn't get the impression she was standing down - more incandescent at her words being framed in a misleading way.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702
    PlatoSaid said:

She is really annoyed at the way they tried to twist her words by quoting them verbatim.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited July 2016
    I would expect some more strange happenings in both parties. Who would have cast Michael Gove in the role of a suicide bomber taking out himself and Boris?

Angela Eagle vs Andrea Leadsome at GE 2020?
  • Options
    F1: Vettel may need a new gearbox. If so, 5 place grid penalty.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Leadsom just on Sky - she's really pissed

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

What did she say?

It was pretty short. How disgusted she was, that she'd been repeatedly asked about her children etc, made it crystal clear that she didn't want any comparison drawn with May.

I didn't get the impression she was standing down - more incandescent at her words being framed in a misleading way.

She has obviously not heard of the first law of holes!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Tim Bale
    Just how middle class, educated and male are Conservative (& other UK) party members? @FT with @ESRCPtyMembers data. https://t.co/H7dolxbM3D

Not sure how many Tory Party members there are but we think we know where they are. @FT via @ESRCPtyMembers https://t.co/uVrtQzOlqZ
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

She is really annoyed at the way they tried to twist her words by quoting them verbatim.
    The Times headline wasn't justified by Leadsom's remarks was it?

Murdock's The Sun and The Times are both backing May and have an agenda. They are going to get attacked by Leadson so better watch out.

The Daily Mail is also pro May. Will any news organisation back Leadsom - The Daily Express?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

Tim Bale
    Just how middle class, educated and male are Conservative (& other UK) party members? @FT with @ESRCPtyMembers data. https://t.co/H7dolxbM3D

I was mildly surprised to see that the Lib Dems are "posher" than the Tories.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

What did she say?

I don't think she quite understands how she was being foolish though - you can say you don't want a comparison drawn, but if the rest of your words draw that comparison, and hers did, it isn't unreasonable for people to do so. Being angry at the media will play well for her I suspect, but though I agree with those who say there was no deliberate malice in her words, I do think she's not got grounds to accuse the reporting of being misleading all that much. If I say I don't want to make a comparison between me and poster y, then go on to say how the important thing for me is that I'm honest and not a lying toe rag, it would not be remarkable to think I was drawing a comparison.

Good day to all.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    CD13 said:

I would expect some more strange happenings in both parties. Who would have cast Michael Gove in the role of a suicide bomber taking out himself and Boris?

Theres a super cartoon of Mr Gove and Boris.

twitter.com/BrookesTimes/status/751385518244585472
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Perhaps she really is the Tory Corbyn then!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    I've listened to the interview as posted by @Gadfly earlier, I don't know what Leadsom is complaining about. She was given a softball question about her being proud of her family, she then went on to draw the comparison between herself and May to paint May in a negative light. The interviewer didn't even mention Mrs May.

I find her lack of compassion pretty disconcerting. She claims to be a Christian, but I'm sure that compassion is one of the foundations of the religion having sat through endless sermons while at school.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Murdock's The Sun and The Times are both backing May and have an agenda. They are going to get attacked by Leadson so better watch out.

The Daily Mail is also pro May. Will any news organisation back Leadsom - The Daily Express?
    AL: "So really carefully because I am sure, I don't really know Theresa very well but I am sure she will be really really sad she doesn't have children so I don't want this to be 'Andrea has children, Theresa hasn't' because I think that would be really horrible.
    "But genuinely I feel being a mum means you have a very real stake in the future of our country, a tangible stake.
    "She possibly has nieces, nephews, lots of people, but I have children, who are going to have children, who will directly be a part of what happens next.
    "So it really keeps you focused on 'what are you really saying?'. Because what it means is you don't want a downturn but 'never mind, let's look ahead to the ten years', hence it will all be fine. My children will be starting their lives in that next ten years so I have a real stake in the next year, the next two."

It's pretty bad.

You can't say "I don't want comparisons" and then immediately draw a comparison.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Tim Bale

I was mildly surprised to see that the Lib Dems are "posher" than the Tories.
    I expected the SNP to have a more marked difference to the other parties. They actually are a mass membership party.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

What did she say?

Leadsom is clear that she is not claiming an edge over May in the PM contest because she is a mother.

But by newspapers asking her if she is a mother and her answering yes, the media is doing the job for her of pointing out that she is a mother whereas May isn't.

Surely a win win for Leadsom as far as Conservative members are concerned..
  • Options
    Sunil,

Being a PhD holder myself, I have Dr still on my passport (the companies I worked for would book foreign flights for me). However, I always put Mr on anything else. I have this worry otherwise that someone would come running up and ask for medical assistance.

"Let the bastard die," doesn't sound that sympathetic.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

I've listened to the interview as posted by @Gadfly earlier, I don't know what Leadsom is complaining about. She was given a softball question about her being proud of her family, she then went on to draw the comparison between herself and May to paint May in a negative light. The interviewer didn't even mention Mrs May.

I find her lack of compassion pretty disconcerting. She claims to be a Christian, but I'm sure that compassion is one of the foundations of the religion having sat through endless sermons while at school.

We don't know what the preceding questions were. There seems to be an audio recording available, but the Times have chosen not to release it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702
    edited July 2016

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

The headline was that Leadsom claimed being a mother gave her the edge on May.

In an interview about a leadership contest where Leadsom had volunteered being a mother as one of her key attributes. Then without prompting referred to it being sad that her opponent has no children, and in the same answer gone on to explain in detail how being a mother gave her a stake in the future and meant she would be more keen to avoid a downturn. Etc.

In the circumstances I suggest that the headline is not only accurate but relatively restrained. If the interview had been with the Sun? That last question left as an 'exercise for the reader', as those old textbooks used to say.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

What did she say?

Leadsom is clear that she is not claiming an edge over May in the PM contest because she is a mother.

But by newspapers asking her if she is a mother and her answering yes, the media is doing the job for her of pointing out that she is a mother whereas May isn't.

Surely a win win for Leadsom as far as Conservative members are concerned..
    That is not what Leadsom said. She said she was't drawing a comparison, then drew the comparison and suggested being a mother did give her an edge, the quotes bear that out, all that stuff about being invested more and thinking more about the future because she has kids, which given she was talking about May voluntarily means she is saying May would not think the same.

Maybe it will play well or at least not negatively with Tory members, but it is taking the piss for Leadsom to claim she was not drawing a comparison, just because she said she wasn't.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    CD13 said:

As Alastair says, EEA leavers are clutching their pearls. It has gone wrong. Gove shanking Johnson was a surprise to everyone. Possibly even to Gove, as he clearly didn't think through the consequences of his actions. In my own experience I've seen people make terrible decisions based on a mixture of adrenaline, ego and exhaustion, so I think I can grok it.

Subsequently, has anyone actually been surprised that he's been reviled on all sides? Even so, he might well have made the final ballot if Boles hadn't sent that retarded text.

We're in real 'for the want of a nail' territory now.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

In light of recent events, I’d have thought the shoe was on the other foot.
    In 2015, 1,140 people were killed by the US police and other law enforcement agencies.

In 2015, 16 law enforcement officers were killed by gunfire, however in 2016 so far, the number is already 26.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    OllyT said:

The new government, of course.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Will include this in the pre-qualifying when it goes up, but have backed Alonso at 2.04 to reach Q3 (the top 10). He's been top 10 in every practice session (6th, 7th and 10th). So, a shade over evens with Betfair seems a bit long.
  • Options
    Another political barometer for me is Times comments, pretty much all of them are damning for Mrs Leadsom. It was comments at the Times which made me think Leave could win a few weeks out from the referendum. They are only open to subscribers and tend to be quite sensible as opposed to the conspiracy types who plague comment sections at other new websites.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,517
    https://twitter.com/andrealeadsom/status/706579080557240325

I wonder what her CV for that job application was like?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Can't wait for May's response. Expect she'll put the boot in with a dignified but murderous magnanimity.
  • Options
    Mr T,

I think you're right. I've never said "as a father and grandfather blah blah blah."

I remember a friend showing me a reader's letter from the local paper in Barnet many years ago. Something along the lines of "As a survivor of the horrible conflict of the second world war, I believe I can comment on the tree-pruning services of the council. They are disgraceful."
  • Options

Can't wait for May's response. Expect she'll put the boot in with a dignified but murderous magnanimity.

The best thing to do is not respond.
  • Options

If she's any sense she won't even mention it. Michael Corleone attended the baptism of his godchild while his henchmen slaughtered the opposition. Same idea.
This discussion has been closed.