Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And to bring us all down to earth tonight’s Local By-electi

124»

Comments

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Not seen QT. Reading that Falconer has resigned.

Amazed no-one thought to mention it on here.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,050

As I said earlier today - the huge recession that is about to engulf us will be blamed on the Tory government and not on those who voted or argued for Leave.

What a chance the Labour party is busy throwing away.

Yes, I agree on both counts. Not good for Ms Leadsom, though. By the time party members get to vote, the real-economy effects which the financial markets are currently pre-figuring will be starting to be obvious.
    I wish I was as confident as you!! Despite having significant funds on May, I have this nagging feeling that the membership are about to join in the general WTF feeling about politics.

I give Leadsom until Spring 2018.
  • Options

I see those nice people at Ladbrokes have paid out on the May/Leadsom final which I pointed to at 1.8 (4/5 in old money) last Friday.

On the main gig, I'm certainly not laying off my May position at the current 1.29-1.31. I reckon fair odds should be something like 1.05.

For sheer stonking good value that May & Leadsom Final bet, virtually a certainty, was one of the bets of the year.
    Shadsy soon recognised his mistake, reducing the odds to 1/3 in no time at all!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    QT dying on it's knees. :)
  • Options

nunu said:

I guess Labour are happy with opposition as long as they have purity.
    BroxtoweLabour @broxtowelabour
    Over 120 members at our meeting tonight, with a wide-ranging debate and a vote of confidence in Jeremy Corbyn.

This is Broxtowe, Nick P's old haunt, a seat only won from years of Tory rule by New Labour.
    Music to Anna Soubry's ears
    Yep, she wont need to jump ship to Ken Clarke's next door, ultra safe, seat at this rate.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

OK. For all the haters out there on PB, who do you want to lose the most, France or Ronaldo?

Portugal. The sardine boys are dreadful. Crap tournament other than the Wales story.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

As I said earlier today - the huge recession that is about to engulf us will be blamed on the Tory government and not on those who voted or argued for Leave.

Yes, I agree on both counts. Not good for Ms Leadsom, though. By the time party members get to vote, the real-economy effects which the financial markets are currently pre-figuring will be starting to be obvious.
    I wish I was as confident as you!! Despite having significant funds on May, I have this nagging feeling that the membership are about to join in the general WTF feeling about politics.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/mps-must-stop-indulging-bizarre-andrea-leadsom-fantasy/?_ga=1.240908355.1155724572.1465139629
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Interesting that even in this Brighton QT audience there is increasingly more annoyance at the Government for failing to plan for Brexit....

Yeah, but that's just displacement activity to cover up their buyers' remorse. This is Psychology for Dummies.
    All those active Leavers in Brighton?
    'Balanced audience', innit?

Most of the remain voters aren't allowed out on a school night
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,636
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

How ironic that Gove, the Brexit expert, was defeated by the vacuous Leadsom. Definitely had enough of experts.

Just think, by next January there is now a real chance the free world could be led by Andrea Leadsom and Donald Trump!
    Wow, the free world has really been pared down, hasn't it? Only two of us?

Yes, I know what you meant. Leadsom presumably has a better chance than Trump though.
    Trump has already effectively made clear he sees the EU as the next 'evil empire' and is ready to take on China too. Only need to convince a few more Tory members and swing voters in Ohio and Pennsylvania and it could well happen, Trump is actually closer to Hillary than Leadsom to May on the latest polls but the debates still to come for both and the GOP convention
    Hillary is at the high watermark of crap, thanks to the (boring) email (non)scandal.

She'll be thankful it all came out in the wash so early, and she still holds a lead in the polls.....
    I think Hillary will win in the end yes but have a feeling it will be a long election night and go to the wire
    I agree with that HYUFD*

*what does that stand for by the way? Always wondered...
    It stands for whatever you want it to stand for!
    I always guessed your real name was Horatio Yossarian Ulysses Florian Delauncet.
    Yes I think that title sounds ideal
  • Options

L

Danny565 said:

Ian Hislop just said Charlie Falconer has resigned from the shadow cabinet? Can anyone confirm?

What is the origin of the Charlie Falconer meme? Just curious
    What meme? What's happening with Charlie?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,679

I see those nice people at Ladbrokes have paid out on the May/Leadsom final which I pointed to at 1.8 (4/5 in old money) last Friday.

On the main gig, I'm certainly not laying off my May position at the current 1.29-1.31. I reckon fair odds should be something like 1.05.

With six weeks campaigning a lot can be done to shift attitudes when a candidate is still relatively unknown at the outset.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/07/how-andrea-leadsom-can-beat-theresa-may

The five different strategies outlined here all strike me as ones that could work for Leadsom, running as the outsider, as the candidates get down to the hard detail. Fundamentally, May must be in a weak position with responsibility in government for the very issue which brought people out to vote for Leave in their drones, yet who as a committed Remainer turned her back on the only course available if their concerns were to be addressed.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,855
    Cyclefree said:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/mps-must-stop-indulging-bizarre-andrea-leadsom-fantasy/?_ga=1.240908355.1155724572.1465139629
    the whole country will soon learn that Andrea Leadsom is not an ‘exciting new voice’ in our politics but that familiar type of Conservative who mistakes not listening with steadfastness, and ignorance for principle. ‘I know what I believe and you’re not going to make me change my mind’ is a tolerable attitude from someone who knows what they are doing, but a terrible attitude for someone who knows next to nothing.

Ouch.

Well, she has a couple of months to prove him wrong, and us a couple of months to hope the members realise if he is not wrong and vote accordingly.

Good night.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    AP
    BREAKING: State Department reopens probe of how Hillary Clinton, top aides handled classified information.
  • Options

Love how one of the main attack lines by the MSM on Leadsom is her failure to vote for gay marriage. More Primrose Hill polling, that.

Oh, is the mainstream media not to be trusted again, not that bits of it that were for leave, and therefore trustworthy media, are going for May?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Mortimer said:

Interesting that even in this Brighton QT audience there is increasingly more annoyance at the Government for failing to plan for Brexit....

It is an astonishing thing to do. Deliberately being rubbish.
  • Options

L

Danny565 said:

Ian Hislop just said Charlie Falconer has resigned from the shadow cabinet? Can anyone confirm?

I honestly don't recall. I think either he resigned, denied it, then resigned, or it was just that his resigning was announced more than once.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

AP
    BREAKING: State Department reopens probe of how Hillary Clinton, top aides handled classified information.

Not a lot of detail at this stage.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,856
    Why didn't muppet Gove let Boris stand in his stead?!

Muppet!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

the whole country will soon learn that Andrea Leadsom is not an ‘exciting new voice’ in our politics but that familiar type of Conservative who mistakes not listening with steadfastness, and ignorance for principle. ‘I know what I believe and you’re not going to make me change my mind’ is a tolerable attitude from someone who knows what they are doing, but a terrible attitude for someone who knows next to nothing.

Ouch.

Well, she has a couple of months to prove him wrong, and us a couple of months to hope the members realise if he is not wrong and vote accordingly.

Good night.
    They have learned nothing, and forgotten nothing.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    kle4 said:

Love how one of the main attack lines by the MSM on Leadsom is her failure to vote for gay marriage. More Primrose Hill polling, that.

Oh, is the mainstream media not to be trusted again, not that bits of it that were for leave, and therefore trustworthy media, are going for May?
    It's not a comment on Leave/Remain, it's a comment on how out of touch the TV media is when it comes to this matter. Most people couldn't give a fig about it.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Nice surprise to discover that David Lammy isn't an idiot.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    kle4 said:

L

Danny565 said:

I honestly don't recall. I think either he resigned, denied it, then resigned, or it was just that his resigning was announced more than once.
    Who?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I think this is all rubbish. The civil service have plans for Brexit, depending on the variety. The problem is they can do nothing until a new government/PM is in place.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

L

Danny565 said:

I didn't realise he had resigned.
  • Options

L

Danny565 said:

Mornington crescent.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's not a comment on Leave/Remain, it's a comment on how out of touch the TV media is when it comes to this matter. Most people couldn't give a fig about it.
    Most people couldn't give a fig about owt.

Yet politcians should.

Why - and on what basis - is it right to deny two adults who are single and in love the right to marry? Why would anyone want to stop them?
  • Options

L

Danny565 said:

Mornington crescent.
    Monty shows you three doors. He opens one to reveal Charlie Falconer.

Do you switch?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

How ironic that Gove, the Brexit expert, was defeated by the vacuous Leadsom. Definitely had enough of experts.

Just think, by next January there is now a real chance the free world could be led by Andrea Leadsom and Donald Trump!

Yes, I know what you meant. Leadsom presumably has a better chance than Trump though.
    Trump has already effectively made clear he sees the EU as the next 'evil empire' and is ready to take on China too. Only need to convince a few more Tory members and swing voters in Ohio and Pennsylvania and it could well happen, Trump is actually closer to Hillary than Leadsom to May on the latest polls but the debates still to come for both and the GOP convention
    Hillary is at the high watermark of crap, thanks to the (boring) email (non)scandal.

She'll be thankful it all came out in the wash so early, and she still holds a lead in the polls.....
    I think Hillary will win in the end yes but have a feeling it will be a long election night and go to the wire
    I agree with that HYUFD*

I always guessed your real name was Horatio Yossarian Ulysses Florian Delauncet.
    Have Yourself U Fearsome Day?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

L

Danny565 said:

Mornington crescent.
    Monty shows you three doors. He opens one to reveal Charlie Falconer.

Do you switch?
    Nope. He is behind all 3 and set to walk out of them in protest.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Wonderful stuff. The comments, as usual, provide the best reading. Some terrible puns - klingon to power... We are the EU, resistance is futile.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It may not have been meant as a leave or remain point, but the comparison is inescapable. Mainstream media is a meaningless term most often used to mean media an individual dislikes, even if you personally were not using it in that sense, and then going quite in Railing against the msm when it supports ones own points.

I woukd love to see the phrase consigned to the dustbin.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

AP

Not a lot of detail at this stage.

The key will be administrative sanctions against those deemed sloppy with classified information. So we probably won't see political appointments for Huma Abedin, Sullivan and Mills.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    PlatoSaid said:

AP

She could lose her security clearance...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Seems that Gowdy hit the hardest:

"Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) began his questioning of Comey with a series of inquiries pertaining to the accuracy of the former secretary of state’s testimony before the Benghazi committee last October and other public statements.

"To Clinton’s assertion that she never sent or received information marked classified on her private email, Comey pointed to the investigation’s findings to the contrary.

"That's not true. There were a small number of portion markings on I think three of the documents,” Comey said. (The State Department on Wednesday said that two of those documents were inadvertently marked.)

"On Clinton’s statement that she did not email classified material to anyone, Comey responded, “There was classified email.”

“Secretary Clinton said she used just one device. Was that true?” Gowdy asked, to which Comey answered, “She used multiple devices during the four years of her term as secretary of state.”

"Asked about Clinton’s claim that all work-related emails were returned to State, Comey said that was not true.

"As far as Clinton’s statement that neither she nor anyone else deleted work-related emails from her personal account, Comey said that was “a harder one to answer,” as investigators found traces of work-related emails “on devices or in slack space, whether they were deleted or on a server that was changed out or something else happened to them.”

"Secretary Clinton said her lawyers read every one of the emails and were overly inclusive. Did her lawyers read the email content individually?" Gowdy asked. Comey responded, "No."

Chaffetz also got in one good point:

"As he concluded his questioning, Chaffetz asked whether Clinton gave “non-cleared people access to classified information.”

“Yes,” Comey said, repeating, “Yes.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/james-comey-testimony-clinton-email-225224#ixzz4Dlo3Ewe5

PS Lots of good material for Trump ads
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited July 2016

Mortimer said:

I think this is all rubbish. The civil service have plans for Brexit, depending on the variety. The problem is they can do nothing until a new government/PM is in place.
    Not according to a Mr Scholar:

"Treasury made no plans for Brexit, says new head Tom Scholar"

http://tinyurl.com/hdnhfjb

Dave&Oz didn't bother.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,046
    Theresa May is the top choice to be the next Prime Minister and Conservative Party leader, according to a new Sky Data poll.

Almost half of those surveyed said Mrs May should be the next Prime Minister, while Andrea Leadsom's support sat on 25%, with a further 28% saying they didn't know who to choose.

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-poll-public-wants-theresa-may-as-pm-10495349
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I agree with that HYUFD*

Have Yourself U Fearsome Day?
    Hell Yes! Unleashed For Debate
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @peter_from_putney

FPT

The advantage of being the younger son is that I get to do my own thing - my poor brother had his life's path mapped out from birth.

You might say I'm the Prince Harry of our family :sunglasses:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,147
    Charles said:

@peter_from_putney

FPT

The advantage of being the younger son is that I get to do my own thing - my poor brother had his life's path mapped out from birth.

You might say I'm the Prince Harry of our family :sunglasses:

Heir and a spare? Very sound, although George VI was also a spare. :)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,328
    shiney2 said:

Mortimer said:

Dave&Oz didn't bother.
    Ouch! So literally the only people who thought it prudent to plan for both outcomes of a public referendum were the Bank of England. Says a lot about why the public voted to stick one up the establishment.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    What a choice the American people have been given. I'm increasingly thinking that Trump can win this, certainly the 3/1 or thereabouts is value, although maybe laying Hilary is the better value - both assumed candidates might not even make it through the conventions!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    5 comments in 4 hours? Gone are the days of the referendum :(
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

Quite literally any other person would have lost it a long time ago, from what we know so far.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Insomniacs and expatriates time on PB :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

Quite literally any other person would have lost it a long time ago, from what we know so far.
    Surely that can't rule someone out from being President? It'd be like our PM not being a Privy Councillor.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Insomniacs and expatriates time on PB :D
    If I were both it'd be perfect for PB browsing :p
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,652
    edited July 2016
    Sounds like a very serious situation in Dallas. Multiple police offices shot dead by a sniper.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/philando-castile-alton-sterling-reaction/index.html
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
  • Options

Sounds like a very serious situation in Dallas. Multiple police offices shot dead by a sniper.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/philando-castile-alton-sterling-reaction/index.html

And to think some people think the solution to this is "more guns"....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,358
    Blimey, sounds like the US is on the verge of civil war.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm looking forward to the riots....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,149
    O/T Malcolm Turnbull has won the Australian election. ABC now project 74-77 Coalition seats, and two independents have promised confidence and supply.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    NHS and heart surgery -- three hospitals ordered to stop heart operations but at least two of them dispute the figures behind an "irrational and reckless announcement". WTF is going on at Health?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36737265

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,046

NHS and heart surgery -- three hospitals ordered to stop heart operations but at least two of them dispute the figures behind an "irrational and reckless announcement". WTF is going on at Health?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36737265

British Heart Foundation chief executive Simon Gillespie said he supported the changes, which he wanted to see "implemented as quickly as possible".
    "It is absolutely critical that children and adults with congenital heart disease and their families receive safe and effective care, wherever they live."

Looks like NHS E&W is taking on local chieftains...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

O/T Malcolm Turnbull has won the Australian election. ABC now project 74-77 Coalition seats, and two independents have promised confidence and supply.

Thanks for the update Sean.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,149
    Danny565 said:

DaveDave said:

On Conservative Home, the comments after Leadsom's speech were 50/50. After May's speech, all against. The Swivel eyed will vote. IDS, at the time, unknown, beat Clarke. Is a surprise in the offing?

Well, in last year's Labour contest, Labourlist right from the early stages had Corbyn winning their "voodoo polls" by landslides and adulation from the comments sections.

At the beginning of the contest, that was all dismissed as an unrepresentative sample of the membership....
    May ought to win this, given her backing from MP's, and the fact that she's well-regarded (I think) by party members. And, she's the only candidate who can unite the Conservative Party. But, she must careful to treat this as a serious contest.

The one thing that could swing the contest to Leadsom is if she is relentlessly attacked for being a Christian and having opposed gay marriage, given that this particular electorate will tend to be sympathetic to her on both points.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,652
    This is quite an interesting summary of Andrea Leadsom's Fresh Start Project's verdict on Cameron's renegotiation.

http://www.eufreshstart.co.uk/FSP UK Settlement Statement.pdf
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,203
    Sandpit said:

shiney2 said:

Mortimer said:

Dave&Oz didn't bother.
    Ouch! So literally the only people who thought it prudent to plan for both outcomes of a public referendum were the Bank of England. Says a lot about why the public voted to stick one up the establishment.
    That seems to me to be an irredeemably stupid decision to rank with Frau Merkel's decision to invite a million migrants.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

I'm looking forward to the riots....
    So Trump can win ? Pathetic !
  • Options

Theresa May is the top choice to be the next Prime Minister and Conservative Party leader, according to a new Sky Data poll.

Almost half of those surveyed said Mrs May should be the next Prime Minister, while Andrea Leadsom's support sat on 25%, with a further 28% saying they didn't know who to choose.

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-poll-public-wants-theresa-may-as-pm-10495349

The public do not have a vote !
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

The Republicans are out to get her. The bastards !
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

Even if the voters elect her as POTUS ?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Thanks for the update Sean.
    Glad to see one Prime Minister is still a Brasenose man!
This discussion has been closed.