Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leadsom leads in new CONHome survey of party members

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Pulpstar said:

Some of this stuff from the 22 sounds like May backers just trying to trash A Leadsome tbh.

Messages say that she was unable to answer any questions on Banks and UKIP support. MPs unimpressed.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    John_M said:

Apparently Leadsom was wriggling on the whole UKIP/leave.eu/Aaron Banks thing and did not go down well.

Aaron Banks considerably richer than most Tories. Envy he will carry more influence.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

tyson said:

tyson said:

So, to be clear, those people (mainly hard-core Leavers) criticising Theresa May and Philip Hammond for making t?

Considering most Brits abroad are idle oldies who are tight arses, and have a range of chronic conditions- shut the gates. Give me the Romanian car washer any day, any time, any place.

Leadsom has got it right on this one.

Nabavi- as much as I don't do personal comments here, you never fail to be extremely pompous.
    Proof, if indeed proof is necessary that May has got this one right
    Actually I am rooting for May. She is being too clever by half on this one I'm afraid.

Considering the Tory leadership contest is about my PM (apart from Renzi- a very good chap here)- my choice would be Theresa hands down. She might lack some charisma, but I have always rated her extremely highly.
    And this shows that she has a bit of backbone when it comes to negotiating.
    Paris and Frankfurt will be delighted that City workers from the EU are having their status put in question by the presumptive UK PM.

Fifty fking four

that's the number of asylum seekers all German DAX companies have employed since the crisis

dont give me crap about the great employment opportunities in the EU they dont exist

more likely UK companies will employ more German asylum seekers by the end of the year.
    I understood that asylum seekers in Germany are not allowed to seek employment until their application has been accepted, which takes on average a year.

How the stats work out in the end is a bit early to say.

The Franfurter Allgemeine is saying DAX companies have little interest in employing asylum seekers. Of the 54 employed 50 got jobs with Deutsche Post. The German Labour Ministry is reporting 300k asylum seekers are looking for jobs.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/unternehmen/mittelstand-als-hoffnungstraeger-fuer-fluechtlinge-14323607.html
    I am not disputing the figures, but there are plenty of barriers to employment for asylum seekers, including dispersal and legal bars to employment before their status is settled.

Afriend of mine (Iraqi) has a brother in Germany who has been there eight years as an asylum seeker, but not yet permitted to work.
    which suggests that the barriers havent come down because Germany isnt as desperate for workers as people were claiming last year.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2016

Off-topic:

The abomination that is the Garden Bridge in London has cost £37.7 million already before any construction has started.

To put that into context, the Millennium Bridge cost £18.2 million in total, although that was sixteen years ago.

Those involved, from Joanna Lumley down, should be ashamed of themselves.

Also off topic, have a look at this abomination that has just been dumped on Bedford. It is a foot bridge at a new development on the river. As this article shows it is nothing like the bridge proposed in the planning drawing. It's hideous. Profit over aesthetics rules OK, even if it involves lying.

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/controversial-riverside-north-bridge-installed-over-the-great-ouse-this-morning/story-29465119-detail/story.html
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Some of this stuff from the 22 sounds like May backers just trying to trash A Leadsome tbh.

That's no doubt true, but the same is equally true in reverse of the synthetic fuss about residency rights.
    Agreed, but Leadsom was unable to answer questions about Banks and UKIP, May and Hammond's position on residency rights makes sense until the EU and UK come to a separate agreement on that even before Article 50 is served.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Pauly said:

How thick is Andrea Leadsom? She couldn't get into Oxford and they let in David Miliband with 3Bs and a D.

Time to break the Oxbridge cartel. :D
    I think Gordon was not Oxbridge. Worked out fine as I recall...

Nor John Major ..... and he worked in a bank like Leadsom but more junior role.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Muslim cab driver refuses to take blind passenger with dog.

Unfortunately for him, it is filmed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1389056/taxi-driver-refuses-to-take-disabled-passenger-with-his-guide-dog-because-its-against-his-religion/

Reason why Leave won #304737?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Kinnock brings female Labour MPs to tears with a soaring speech to the PLP. Lucy Powell so emotional she has to leave the meeting.

Corbyn must go. And go now.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Con MPs now have the 2020 GE in their hands.

If they let Leadsom into the Final she has a very good chance - and the Con party will have done the mirror image of what Lab has done with Corbyn.

May has lots of spare MPs - especially when Crabb goes out. I would say 30 MPs who support May need to vote Gove - that should be enough to put Gove into the Final which would almost guarantee a May win.

And even if it didn't, Gove is more electable than Leadsom.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    Pulpstar said:

Faisal Islam Verified account ‏@faisalislam 7m7 minutes ago

At 1922, Theresa May got most vocal backing, as you'd expect.

Translation: Anna Soubry had been on the sherry again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    Just checked conhome and their survey was a snap survey conducted today and which had closed by 5.30pm unlike most conhome surveys which last several days. It was probably filled therefore by the retired cyberkippers who populate conhome until the more Cameroon commuters get back in the evening
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Does anyone think they need to change the leadership rules?

It seems crazy that MPs might split A 75% and B 25%, whilst the members split A 49% and B 51% - and B would then win.

Surely it would be better if the Final was an Electoral College - 50% MPs, 50% members.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Messages say that she was unable to answer any questions on Banks and UKIP support. MPs unimpressed.
    Is Leadsom being the candidate best able to win back 4m leaderless voters supposed to be a disadvantage?
  • Options

Could May 'lend' some of her MP supporters to one of the other candidates so Leadsom doesn't make the final two?

Well they say the PCP is the most sophisticated electorate in the world. Let's hope they do their duty
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    AndyJS said:

If Leadsom picks up all of Fox's support and 75% of Gove's she'd be on about a third of Tory MPs, using Guido's list. That only includes MPs who've declared so far.

I was surprised to see Charlotte Leslie on there as a Leadsom supporter. She waited until a few days before the referendum before declaring for Leave.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

You only need 35% support from MPs to get into the membership ballot. It doesn't matter if the other 65% despise Leadsom.
    May could lend some of her MPs to Crabb and Gove if she has a big enough lead in round 1 to ensure Leadsom does not make the leadership ballot
    I flagged up that possibility a few days ago.
    It is very possible, if I were May I would do it, IDS used such tactics to knock-out Portillo though he almost knocked out himself. Cameron also used them to knock-out Fox
    It would only work if Leadsom's support with MPs is less than a third in the final round. It obviously also has the potential to go horribly wrong if too many people vote tactically.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    SeanT said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1389056/taxi-driver-refuses-to-take-disabled-passenger-with-his-guide-dog-because-its-against-his-religion/

I'm sorry....but what is your point in showing this video?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

All it illustrates is that arseholes are universal. Somewhere in England there is a chav telling a Pole to fuck off back home.

In fact, that's an idea, let's just repatriate the arseholes. There must be some barren island kicking around in the Barents Sea or some such.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

How thick is Andrea Leadsom? She couldn't get into Oxford and they let in David Miliband with 3Bs and a D.

Yet still bright enough to decide against Cambridge....
  • Options
    tyson said:

HaroldO said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

Could May 'lend' some of her MP supporters to one of the other candidates so Leadsom doesn't make the final two?

That would make the whole thing very messy...if the Conservative party votes in Leadsom it deserves to eat itself alive.
    OK- fine HaroldO politically,- but unlike a Brexiter or three quid Tory, I am not a nihilist.
    I want May because at this time we need the most competent person being PM. I wish the Tories had opened up an accessible system to pay for it- I would have joined, and influenced everyone I know to go for May.
    I actually was considering doing the same in a few years to get her in for 2019 if the field had stayed as it was, and I have no interest in joining a political party at all.
    But the idea of Osborne or Johnson (after turning on Cameron) getting in appalled me, and with the field on the opposite side being Corbyn than I thought they were nailed on.

I think May is the least worst option, I won't be putting bunting out for her or anything like that.
    LOL- I've got my Theresa May kitten coloured bunting at the ready, and a bottle of lemonade (sparkling but non alcoholic to fit our tea totler PM)
    Quiz question: which major party drinks the most?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MikeL said:

Does anyone think they need to change the leadership rules?

It seems crazy that MPs might split A 75% and B 25%, whilst the members split A 49% and B 51% - and B would then win.

Surely it would be better if the Final was an Electoral College - 50% MPs, 50% members.

It's 15 years since IDS was elected and they haven't done anything about changing the system yet.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HaroldO said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

That would make the whole thing very messy...if the Conservative party votes in Leadsom it deserves to eat itself alive.
    OK- fine HaroldO politically,- but unlike a Brexiter or three quid Tory, I am not a nihilist.
    I want May because at this time we need the most competent person being PM. I wish the Tories had opened up an accessible system to pay for it- I would have joined, and influenced everyone I know to go for May.
    I actually was considering doing the same in a few years to get her in for 2019 if the field had stayed as it was, and I have no interest in joining a political party at all.
    But the idea of Osborne or Johnson (after turning on Cameron) getting in appalled me, and with the field on the opposite side being Corbyn than I thought they were nailed on.

I think May is the least worst option, I won't be putting bunting out for her or anything like that.
    LOL- I've got my Theresa May kitten coloured bunting at the ready, and a bottle of lemonade (sparkling but non alcoholic to fit our tea totler PM)
    Quiz question: which major party leader drinks the most?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

tyson said:

So, to be clear, those people (mainly hard-core Leavers) criticising Theresa May and Philip Hammond for making the sensible point that the residence status of EU citizens will depend on the outcome of the outcome of the negotiation are saying that a Romanian who has been here four months and is now working in a hand car-wash has acquired a lifetime right to live here? And that that should remain true even if our EU friends don't extend the same courtesy to Brits living in their countries? Have I got this interpretation of 'getting control of our borders' correct?

Considering most Brits abroad are idle oldies who are tight arses, and have a range of chronic conditions- shut the gates. Give me the Romanian car washer any day, any time, any place.

Leadsom has got it right on this one.

Nabavi- as much as I don't do personal comments here, you never fail to be extremely pompous.
    Good grief.... Don't do "personal comments on here" seriously?

You have been calling a number of people on here xenophobic racists for months now and even apologists for racism. One poster even threatened you with lawyers of you attempted it again.

You are certainly a leading candidate for the " total lack of self awareness" award that's for sure.
    I'm waiting for the lawyers letter.

• Options
    I can almost guarantee that Gove will be disappointed and surprised not to have been backed by Boris. #Martian
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    The only way she can be stopped now is to keep her off the ballot, and that will cause Tory civil war.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Just a minor example of how the utopian project of assimilation and multiculturalism is faring outside of luvvie, privileged circles.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

And? :D
    Do you think Tory Mps are swayed by such obvious nonsense ?
    I think they're just trying to provide story lines for factional journalists to push out. I don't think it will have any effect.

Conservative members will see Ms Leadsom on TV, read articles she writes, and form their own opinions.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

Obviously Farage....

• Options
    AndyJS said:

If Leadsom picks up all of Fox's support and 75% of Gove's she'd be on about a third of Tory MPs, using Guido's list. That only includes MPs who've declared so far.

But that can't happen if Crabb goes out first (after Fox).

May has to ensure the Final 3 is May, Leadsom and Gove - that way she has all (or at least most) of Crabb's votes to play with.

At an absolute minimum May must surely have at least 140 supporters (Crick says 120 with over 100 still to declare).

Add another 20 from Crabb which will transfer to May. That means she has 160 absolute minimum at her disposal - and probably far more - most likely 180+.

110 guarantees being in the Final so she could in theory give Gove an extra 50. He won't need anything like that many to jump ahead of Leadsom.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Leadsom supported by Boris....if they get in I'm going Lib Dem. I mean one vote doesn't mean much but blimey.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Which Muslim EU nation did he hail from?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

You only need 35% support from MPs to get into the membership ballot. It doesn't matter if the other 65% despise Leadsom.
    One cabinet minister said: “only four out of the five contributions we heard tonight were sane.”
    That they are briefing against Leadsom makes me think they are worried about her. They need to be careful not to make it too obvious if they do decide to stitch her up.
    Do you think he was referring to Leadsom?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Because it's been shared a million times on Facebook, and is causing discussions across the country?

lol. Are there certain news stories we just SHOULDN'T talk about???
    Apparently it's OK to talk about repatriating people now. May could go full BNP. Given the documented millions of racists in the country, she'd win a landslide in 2020.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

Obviously Farage....

Not a party leader...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

One of the great ironies of Brexit is that many LEAVE voters have no issue with EU migration - it's non EU migration (especially Muslim migration) which concerns them. I've seen LEAVERs vox popped on TV who said exactly that.

However they weren't given a chance to say Please stop THAT particular kind of migration, so the people pulled the only anti-immigration lever they had. Brexit.

This presents an opportunity for May (or whoever wins).

IF she says she is going to reduce non-EU immigration to the low tens of thousands (which she could do tomorrow) she might be able to sell continued Free Movement within the EEA.

It's really not that easy unless you are going to do things like ban any UK citizen from moving their spouse and children here, which most would say was going too far.. (There are already income and criminal conviction limits)

Oh you can ban students or Tier 1/2 work visas, but not without impoverishing universities or wrecking the economy.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    tyson said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

Obviously Farage....

Is it a trick question as there are a number of leaderless parties?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'll post the following link.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIidxlf3nLk

If a group of Muslims behaved like this in the UK what do you think would happen? What is the point in showing inflammatory videos. You need to read the Guardian a little more and the Sun, a little less. It'll make you into a more spiritually balanced person.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

PLP are meeting. Sounds like Kinnock has moved MPs to tears.

Has he told them he knows how to win an election

In fairness I am in tears of laughter at the thought Kinnock thinks he knows how not to have Tories in power for 18 years
    If Corbynistas are only going to listen to election winning leaders, then there's a chap with three election victories with a stonking average of nearly 130 seat majority worth listening to.
    Wednesday is nearly here.
    A minor mistake by ACL Blair, stop focussing on the negatives and focus on the positives.

He still won a 66 seat majority after Iraq
    I hope that's ironic.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Because it's been shared a million times on Facebook, and is causing discussions across the country?

Apparently it's OK to talk about repatriating people now. May could go full BNP. Given the documented millions of racists in the country, she'd win a landslide in 2020.
    "Documented millions of racists"

I mean, do you actually believe this VAPID BILGE?
    Possibly should have added a 'kappa' on the end. Feeling a bit sour and out of love with my fellow Man tonight :s.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Pulpstar said:

Faisal Islam Verified account ‏@faisalislam 7m7 minutes ago

At 1922, Theresa May got most vocal backing, as you'd expect.

Translation: Anna Soubry had been on the sherry again.
    Be careful shell sue you, heard she reads this to kepp an eye on her ahem "Labour rival".
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

In fairness I am in tears of laughter at the thought Kinnock thinks he knows how not to have Tories in power for 18 years
    If Corbynistas are only going to listen to election winning leaders, then there's a chap with three election victories with a stonking average of nearly 130 seat majority worth listening to.
    I know that there are a range of fairly obnoxious individuals waiting to string up Blair in the wake of Chilcott but I do wonder if his recent foray into British politics means that he's happy with the conclusion. He will have seen it after all.
  • Options
    Breaking: Boris backs Leadsom!
  • Options
    Vote Leave has now effectively endorsed Michael Gove in an email describing him as 'the leading Out candidate' while Leave.EU has Andrea Leadsom
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/07/eurosceptics-divide-over-the-leadership-race.html
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mr. kle4, thanks for that spoiler-free but nevertheless very useful comment. I think I'll hang fire, then perhaps get a full box set. If I have any money.

Mr. F, I do bang on about it, but Sean McGlynn's By Sword and Fire (which examines morality in the Middle Ages (mostly warfare)) is really very good, and proved incredibly useful for my trilogy when deciding how harsh, wise, merciful and brutal to be.

One of my beta readers (who tends to be immensely critical) actually singled out a short section on morality in the first book as being particularly good.

The problem with the Show (for me at any rate) is that all that matters is being a badass. Most medieval societies had morals and standards, even if very different from our own. The World depicted in the Show has none; it's an utterly dark and depraved society.
    the Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series created a very clear caste based society. (Not the most polished books in the world, but not junk either.)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

IF she says she is going to reduce non-EU immigration to the low tens of thousands (which she could do tomorrow) she might be able to sell continued Free Movement within the EEA.

May is Home Secretary, and has been for six years. Why didn't she reduce non-EU immigration to the low tens of thousands at any point in that period?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

May is Home Secretary, and has been for six years. Why didn't she reduce non-EU immigration to the low tens of thousands at any point in that period?
    Because it isn't really feasible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Vote Leave has now effectively endorsed Michael Gove in an email describing him as 'the leading Out candidate' while Leave.EU has Andrea Leadsom
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/07/eurosceptics-divide-over-the-leadership-race.html

I think that was Dominic Cummings rather than Vote Leave.

Stinks of desperation.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

John_M said:

Apparently Leadsom was wriggling on the whole UKIP/leave.eu/Aaron Banks thing and did not go down well.

Aaron Banks considerably richer than most Tories. Envy he will carry more influence.
    You confuse wealth and taste. Money might open the door but it guarantees you nothing more.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476
    I see Boris has proven what many suspected. He simply isn't serious.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Obviously those that tyson feels we shouldn't
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

One of the great ironies of Brexit is that many LEAVE voters have no issue with EU migration - it's non EU migration (especially Muslim migration) which concerns them. I've seen LEAVERs vox popped on TV who said exactly that.

However they weren't given a chance to say Please stop THAT particular kind of migration, so the people pulled the only anti-immigration lever they had. Brexit.

Except that doesn't work either - most Leave voters are even less concerned by American lawyers or Australian bar-tenders. Reducing the immigration people really don't like would be, by definition, discriminatory, and probably pretty ugly looking.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I can almost guarantee that Gove will be disappointed and surprised not to have been backed by Boris. #Martian
    No surprise there, the Metro this morning said Boris called Gove 'a duplicitous bastard' after his leadership announcement and subsequent trashing of him
  • Options

Breaking: Boris backs Leadsom!

Is that confirmed? There are 18 former Boris supporters on the right-hand side of Guido's spreadsheet who haven't backed anyone yet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19mKbV0UnIbX_lbiinKiquP0ghiFpsMl0owUO6_TJyzI/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

May could lend some of her MPs to Crabb and Gove if she has a big enough lead in round 1 to ensure Leadsom does not make the leadership ballot
    It is very possible, if I were May I would do it, IDS used such tactics to knock-out Portillo though he almost knocked out himself. Cameron also used them to knock-out Fox
    It would only work if Leadsom's support with MPs is less than a third in the final round. It obviously also has the potential to go horribly wrong if too many people vote tactically.
    Yes May needs to a big enough lead to do it otherwise it ends up too clever by half
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    edited July 2016
    Refusal to admit guide dogs is unfortunately not a rare thing. Saintsbury's came under fire for leaving it up to staff discretion for instance. I would be wary of racial stereotyping on one instance.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Which Muslim EU nation did he hail from?
    UK obviously
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,120
    Toms said:

Off-topic:

The abomination that is the Garden Bridge in London has cost £37.7 million already before any construction has started.

To put that into context, the Millennium Bridge cost £18.2 million in total, although that was sixteen years ago.

Also off topic, have a look at this abomination that has just been dumped on Bedford. It is a foot bridge at a new development on the river. As this article shows it is nothing like the bridge proposed in the planning drawing. It's hideous. Profit over aesthetics rules OK, even if it involves lying.

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/controversial-riverside-north-bridge-installed-over-the-great-ouse-this-morning/story-29465119-detail/story.html
    There's quite a difference between the artists' renderings and the final design!

You'll hate me for saying this, but I actually don't mind it that much - although I'd want to see it myself once the other works around it are completed. Context is everything.

As an example I quite like the newish Riverside Bridge in Cambridge, yet thought I would hate it from the designs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridges_in_Cambridge#/media/File:Cambridge_Riverside_Bridge.jpg

On another note, the following is amusing - how to get a minidigger off a high lorry. I did something somewhat similar to this once or twice, though off low banks / loading bays, which requires a little more dexterity with the controls. It's not recommended practice. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaErLOTpXKk
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

That was the special entrance requirement for sons of Marxist academics living in Notting Hill
    She's of the age when the oxbridge entrance exams still existed. Past that and you could take upper 6 off as all you needed was your 2 E's for a grant...
    I think you still had to pass the interview as well
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Yes May needs to a big enough lead to do it otherwise it ends up too clever by half
    Another thing: you'd only need one person to leak the dastardly tactical voting plan in order to piss off a lot of Tory members.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

May can decrease non EU immigration (though her record suggests she might not be competent to do so) but the next PM could easily overturn her policies and raise numbers. The public are seeking something more permanent and the only feasible way to appease them is to end freedom of movement within the EU.
  • Options

Wednesday is nearly here.
    A minor mistake by ACL Blair, stop focussing on the negatives and focus on the positives.

He still won a 66 seat majority after Iraq
    Corbyn and McDonnell will be far too busy calling Blair a war criminal on Wednesday to even consider his election victories, for them any victory which is not a victory for pacifist socialism is no victory at all!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

That was the special entrance requirement for sons of Marxist academics living in Notting Hill
    She's of the age when the oxbridge entrance exams still existed. Past that and you could take upper 6 off as all you needed was your 2 E's for a grant...
    I think you still had to pass the interview as well
    Yep but that was usually all over by December leaving you with the next 6 months relatively stress free
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Someone in my comprehensive school in ILEA in the 80s was offered a place at Oxford with two Es under some social engineering programme.

Think she did a fair bit better th

Toms said:

Off-topic:

There's quite a difference between the artists' renderings and the final design!

You'll hate me for saying this, but I actually don't mind it that much - although I'd want to see it myself once the other works around it are completed. Context is everything.

As an example I quite like the newish Riverside Bridge in Cambridge, yet thought I would hate it from the designs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridges_in_Cambridge#/media/File:Cambridge_Riverside_Bridge.jpg

On another note, the following is amusing - how to get a minidigger off a high lorry. I did something somewhat similar to this once or twice, though off low banks / loading bays, which requires a little more dexterity with the controls. It's not recommended practice. ;)

Not seen it for myself yet but the actual bridge does have at least two advantages over the artists impression. Firstly it wont fall into the river and secondly you wont fall off the side
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

If a group of Muslims behaved like this in the UK what do you think would happen? What is the point in showing inflammatory videos. You need to read the Guardian a little more and the Sun, a little less. It'll make you into a more spiritually balanced person.
    It's a bloody news story, you gibbering twit. And - see my comments- it has bearing on the the whole question of Brexit, migration and Free Movement.

We've gone beyond the point where we can just hide this stuff away, as Brexit has crisply revealed.

The point he is trying to make (and have sympathy with) is the tabloid choose to feature some stories over others. There are as many white people doing stupid things as Muslims but the daily mail editor will always choose the Muslim one over the white one because it sells more papers that's it.
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    On the issue of Muslim people not wanting to associate with people who make them religiously uncomfortable I have a whole list of grievances I could roll out.

You may be surprised to learn that in our experience as a gay couple with adopted kids you almost never run into any form of trouble in the UK. But every time we ever do it is from Muslims.

We have had problems with people ranging from other parents at play groups to NHS doctors.

It has really turned me against the religion.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078
    edited July 2016
    John_N4 said:

Here are some names: Jessica Jensen, Samantha Bentley, Maisie Dee, Aeryn Walker, Sahara Knite, Sibel Kekilli. Okay they are not most of the leading actresses, but they're quite a long list to be going on with.

"very well produced", "fantasy novels with dark and brutal elements (which lesser copiers mistake as the whole point)"

He has lesser copiers? Do they write on toilet walls or what?

The "Song of Ice and Fire" books on which this TV trash is based have a reading age of 11, and even so the "book readers" are still condemned as some kind of intellectuals by those who promote the TV series.

If you want to check what I just wrote, apply the SMOG readability test. Count the number of words of more than 2 syllables in 30 sentences. Martin keeps to about 5. Tolkien uses about 66.

"a very large cast and intricate plots and has received praise for its depth, acting and unpredictability"

God almighty! In other words it's a badly written soap opera structured around acts of depravity.

"And of course many people do not like fantasy stories or medieval setting stories, of which it is both."

Such use of the notion of a "fantasy" genre that includes works such as this filth along with works of great literary merit such as Tolkien's is marketing. You might as well call Jane Austen "chick lit". It is wrong to regurgitate it, because of a few dragons or whatever.

As for its mediaeval setting, who cares what costumes are worn when a pregnant woman is shown as being stabbed to death through the belly? I don't care whether she's dressed in 14th century clothes, a Mao suit or a ballet tutu. The author has claimed that he's bringing his audience the truth not just about the middle ages but about human society in general. Ban it.

I honestly cannot tell if you are being serious, but it's pretty hilarious parody at the least. It's so vehement and over the top in your anger about a TV show and books (and you seem fixated on this idea I or others are comparing Martin to Tolkein, which I'd not noticed many had - and even as a big fan of Tolkein, I wouldn't get offended on his behalf if someone 'dared' to make such a comparison) that I find it hard to believe it is real, but I suspect it is genuine because you admit in your first sentence that you were talking bollocks about the actresses, because of a bare handful of minor characters.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926
    edited July 2016
    Looks like things are moving in Andrea Leadsom's favour... I did wonder if this might happen when I saw Alistair Meek's hatchet job earlier. At the moment it seems when Mr Meeks says one thing the opposite happens!

Alistair Meeks and Dan Hodges... :smiley:
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2016

Toms said:

Off-topic:

By all means feel free accept the darn thing. At least it doesn't have a garden on it. I think, however, they ought to erect something at least roughly similar to the drawing.

P/S That's seriously competent!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

maaarsh said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Except that doesn't work either - most Leave voters are even less concerned by American lawyers or Australian bar-tenders. Reducing the immigration people really don't like would be, by definition, discriminatory, and probably pretty ugly looking.
    Oh for sure. It would be extremely ugly. Never denied that.

But all western European societies are going to have to face up to this, at some point, possibly quite soon. There is a limit to the amount of immigration from Islamic countries which can be tolerated by host societies in the West. Go beyond that limit, and you get a fracture in the bones of the body politic; the people will say enough. Probably by electing Fascists - cf France, Holland, Austria, right now.

Brexit was a hint of that future, from a British perspective.
    The answer is an Australian type points system. You construct the points in a way that are not overtly discriminatory but tend very strongly, in practice, to exclude those you wish to not be here. The individual points themselves are unarguable though.

We could pass a law to this effect in 2016 for non-EU immigration if the simple political will was there. We could also (in somewhat underhand fashion) do what some countries do and simply understaff civil servants who process applications from such countries - imposing a very significant delay.
  • Options

Toms said:

Off-topic:

I hope you got tyson's permission to post this.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

And to think we said please don't burn the house down for the sake of a (much needed) discussion about immigration.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

It's really not that easy unless you are going to do things like ban any UK citizen from moving their spouse and children here, which most would say was going too far.. (There are already income and criminal conviction limits)

Oh you can ban students or Tier 1/2 work visas, but not without impoverishing universities or wrecking the economy.
    Would it impoverish universities or force them to a long overdue reform?
  • Options
    ChaosOdin said:

On the issue of Muslim people not wanting to associate with people who make them religiously uncomfortable I have a whole list of grievances I could roll out.

You may be surprised to learn that in our experience as a gay couple with adopted kids you almost never run into any form of trouble in the UK. But every time we ever do it is from Muslims.

We have had problems with people ranging from other parents at play groups to NHS doctors.

I'm so sorry to hear this as a Muslim, what trouble did u have with the NHS doctor? Pm me if u want.
  • Options
    ChaosOdin said:

There was a minor furore when ICM did their survey of UK Muslims' attitudes to homosexuality etc:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

It's only a poll. But there's clearly some variance from the UK social mores.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I have just backed Leadsom. I feel dirty and hope to lose my money
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

ToryJim said:

You can cash out when she hits 2.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078
    I feel like Leadsome is building up some real steam, which her own inadequacies for the job may not be able to stop even if they should (like Corbyn, although she hasn't appeared so unsuited so far) - I will be interested to see if she can impress during the campaign, or if it ends up with inexplicable fervour for someone very ordinary.
  • Options
    He might have endorsed May.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476
    He wouldn't but endorsing someone who shouldn't even be in the contest is just staggering. Leadsom is egregiously unqualified. Inflicting her on the country would be a betrayal of the people the Conservatives were elected to serve just 14 months ago. It would be a decision from which the party would never ever recover.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    GIN1138 said:

Looks like things are moving in Andrea Leadsom's favour... I did wonder if this might happen when I saw Alistair Meek's hatchet job earlier. At the moment it seems when Mr Meeks says one thing the opposite happens!

Meeks Hodges and TSE. The holy trinity! Fingers crossed they're wrong again.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

ToryJim said:

You can cash out when she hits 2.
    Yeah. Decent trading bet
  • Options
    I consider this to be the definitive understanding of how Muslims treat gays:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-13/how-muslim-countries-treat-homosexuals
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

It's a bloody news story, you gibbering twit. And - see my comments- it has bearing on the the whole question of Brexit, migration and Free Movement.

We've gone beyond the point where we can just hide this stuff away, as Brexit has crisply revealed.

Actually, sean- I think you are fundamentally wrong about immigration.

I watched Panorama tonight.

The WWC's are angry particularly about Eastern European immigration. Why? Because they are more skilled, more reliable, they are prepared to work for less, they are harder working, and they take their jobs. As an employer, who would you take?

Equally, many Asian first and second generation voted Brexit for the same reason. Their livelihoods are at risk with this influx of a hard working, industrious, labour force from Eastern Europe.

The WWC classes have coped for decades with Muslim and Asian immigration. Communities have largely coped. Asian and Muslim migrants haven't threatened their existence in the way that Eastern Europeans have who are hungry and industrious.

I don't know the answers. Protectionism against this influx of East European Labour will invariably hurt our economy, but I can understand why the WWC don't want them here.

Showing a video about a Muslim not letting a dog into a taxi is barking (pun intended) up the wrong tree.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    No surprise in the ConHome poll. It is infested with kippers/leavers.
  • Options
    Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

Meeks Hodges and TSE. The holy trinity! Fingers crossed they're wrong again.

It's at difficult times like this that we need Roger to provide us with his ineffable anti-guidance. Someone break out the Batphone.
  • Options
    Love Island Question 'Who is the current leader of the Labour Party, Angela Eagle, Jeremy Corbyn or Boris Johnson?'
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030

Sean_F said:

Surely there is no hope of Leadsom getting her true believer plans through the house? I can't comment on the poll, perhaps we need to see a few more, trend is the friend etc.

How many genuine Tory europhile MPs are there? Ones that have long been on the record about their pro-euness, like Soubry or Clarke? If it's more than 30 they could cause real trouble to any brexit plans anyway (12 to knock out con majority, 7 to cover labour leavers, 8 to cover DUP).

Could depend on if the SNP abstain or not (they may do if it helps their independence cause, but I think they would probably still vote against)

Jobabob said:

@Paristonda

SNP would vote against as Sturgeon won't want to lose credibility. There are probably 30+ Europhile Tories, Damian Green, Geo Osborne (!), David Cameron (!), Clare Perry etc etc

I expect that Conservatives who voted against Brexit now would lose the Whip.
    If it was an EEA type solution from May I can imagine the threat of losing the whip being enough to keep them in line. But if it's a completely out option, with a leader preferred amongst members not MPs, would the europhile's still vote it through? Labour MPs may be useless at rebellions but the Tories generally have a better knack for it!
    It's not in the gift of the House of Commons.

The outcome is the result of negotiation with the EU. Given the end of free movement, if the EU says no deal other than World Trade tariffs then the HoC can not vote for EFTA.
    It is not up to the EU whether we join EFTA. It is up to the EFTA members. Since you are referring specifically to EFTA then bear in mind the EU has absolutely no say whatsoever over the makeup of EFTA.
    But EFTA members (other than Lichtenstein) have to agree free movement.
    So? That wasn't the point you made. I like free movement. It is one of the good things - except of course I want free movement from outside the EU as well. I know it is a very minority view but it is why EFTA/EEA membership seems like the perfect solution to me.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Actually, sean- I think you are fundamentally wrong about immigration.

I watched Panorama tonight.

The WWC's are angry particularly about Eastern European immigration. Why? Because they are more skilled, more reliable, they are prepared to work for less, they are harder working, and they take their jobs. As an employer, who would you take?

Equally, many Asian first and second generation voted Brexit for the same reason. Their livelihoods are at risk with this influx of a hard working, industrious, labour force from Eastern Europe.

The WWC classes have coped for decades with Muslim and Asian immigration. Communities have largely coped. Asian and Muslim migrants haven't threatened their existence in the way that Eastern Europeans have who are hungry and industrious.

I don't know the answers. Protectionism against this influx of East European Labour will invariably hurt our economy, but I can understand why the WWC don't want them here.

Showing a video about a Muslim not letting a dog into a taxi is barking (pun intended) up the wrong tree.
    Laughable.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

Surely there is no hope of Leadsom getting her true believer plans through the house? I can't comment on the poll, perhaps we need to see a few more, trend is the friend etc.

How many genuine Tory europhile MPs are there? Ones that have long been on the record about their pro-euness, like Soubry or Clarke? If it's more than 30 they could cause real trouble to any brexit plans anyway (12 to knock out con majority, 7 to cover labour leavers, 8 to cover DUP).

Could depend on if the SNP abstain or not (they may do if it helps their independence cause, but I think they would probably still vote against)

Jobabob said:

@Paristonda

SNP would vote against as Sturgeon won't want to lose credibility. There are probably 30+ Europhile Tories, Damian Green, Geo Osborne (!), David Cameron (!), Clare Perry etc etc

I expect that Conservatives who voted against Brexit now would lose the Whip.
    If it was an EEA type solution from May I can imagine the threat of losing the whip being enough to keep them in line. But if it's a completely out option, with a leader preferred amongst members not MPs, would the europhile's still vote it through? Labour MPs may be useless at rebellions but the Tories generally have a better knack for it!
    It's not in the gift of the House of Commons.

The outcome is the result of negotiation with the EU. Given the end of free movement, if the EU says no deal other than World Trade tariffs then the HoC can not vote for EFTA.
    It is not up to the EU whether we join EFTA. It is up to the EFTA members. Since you are referring specifically to EFTA then bear in mind the EU has absolutely no say whatsoever over the makeup of EFTA.
    But EFTA members (other than Lichtenstein) have to agree free movement.
    EFTA is an association of oddball countries in western Europe that aren't members of the EU. The European Economic Area (EEA) is a single market and social area setup between EFTA and the EU. To be part of the EEA a Brexited UK would have to join EFTA and, in practice, get the agreement of the EU
    No it wouldn't. We have been over this dozens of times and you are still wrong.
  • Options
    Boris's statement:

"Andrea Leadsom offers the zap, the drive, and the determination essential for the next leader of this country.
    She has long championed the needs of the most vulnerable in our society. She has a better understanding of finance than almost anyone else in Parliament. She has considerable experience of government.
    She is level-headed, kind, trustworthy, approachable and the possessor of a good sense of humour.
    She has specialised in the EU question and successfully campaigned for leave and will be therefore well-placed to help forge a great post-Brexit future for Britain and Europe.
    Above all she possesses the qualities needed to bring together leavers and remainers in the weeks and months ahead. I will be voting for Andrea Leadsom tomorrow."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jul/04/brexit-live-plan-leave-vote-hysteria-boris-johnson
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Another thing: you'd only need one person to leak the dastardly tactical voting plan in order to piss off a lot of Tory members.
    Indeed but if it is May v Gove she would probably still win anyway
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

Because she is rubbish at her job?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

He wouldn't but endorsing someone who shouldn't even be in the contest is just staggering. Leadsom is egregiously unqualified. Inflicting her on the country would be a betrayal of the people the Conservatives were elected to serve just 14 months ago. It would be a decision from which the party would never ever recover.
    I wouldn't feel betrayed and would be interested to hear how you feel you are qualified to speak for the nation, especially when not using your mouth.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I think May should simply try and build up as many MP votes as she can in each round to demonstrate that she is the overwhelming choice of the PLP. Hopefully Tory members in the country will learn the lesson from Labour that choosing a leader who isn't strongly endorsed by the party's PLP risks major problems for the future.

If May tries to game the result she risks being charged with sharp practice. She doesn't want to let Gove off the hook as, "Deceiver-in Chief".

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    perdix said:

No surprise in the ConHome poll. It is infested with kippers/leavers.

You mean Miss Plato voted twice?
  • Options
    Any more offers on my booze quiz?
This discussion has been closed.