Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A nice problem to have: Cash in my 90/1 & 65/1 bets on Lead

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A nice problem to have: Cash in my 90/1 & 65/1 bets on Leadsom now or wait for the race to evolve

On May 25h while perusing the Betfair next CON leader odds I saw that Andrea Leadson was available at 90 and immediately took the few pounds that was available that price. It then slipped down to 65, 55 46 nd 44 and I took that as well. My next bet on Leadsom was at 9.31am, just after Cameron had resigned, when I got 65.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited July 2016
    Cash/trade out.

Edit and First like TM4PM
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Second like May.
  • Options
    Point of order Mike, result is now the 9th of September, when you're on your holibops
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    Bleugh
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Tyson, Southam - agreed, all hatchets buried. Our own little broad church!

Yep - I have decided to stop sniping from the sidelines. I have just rejoined the Labour party. I feel a little bit emotional.

What's that about rats jumping onto sinking ships? :-)

Brilliant Stuff. That rarest of things, some good news for Labour.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    I think she's still value at 6.6. I'd be selling her at 4.0
  • Options
    Why take a punt on unknown Leadsom when you have proven May ready to go?
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    MPs seem to like coronations, but do they go down well with the public? Particularly for a PM who is coming to power without a general election.

I guess current circumstances give more support for a swift resolution, and they'd quite like to be in a position to point and laugh at the Labour party.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

Point of order Mike, result is now the 9th of September, when you're on your holibops

I suspect the Tory party may quickly come to the conclusion that 9 September is too long to wait....a lot of work to be getting on with....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cf the Tory leadership contest of 2001
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Things are moving fast: I would take half the profit and see if the rest will ride a little further. The risk of losing the lot through another bombshell is too big.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    No idea, I've played this market very poorly.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

May is a remainer. They lost.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Jonathan said:

Yep - I have decided to stop sniping from the sidelines. I have just rejoined the Labour party. I feel a little bit emotional.

I don't know about that! But I have to say it does feel rather good. Like coming home. Even if it is to a highly dysfunctional family. You still love it in the end, however hard you try not to.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    This is why Angela Eagle registered her domains before resigning:

http://www.gove2016.co.uk/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,926
    Great bets Mike, always good to spot the runners before the race starts.

I'd probably cash out, things could move very quickly on Tuesday, although she's unlikely to come last so could well tighten further if the race continues.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    edited July 2016
    From a few days ago with edits:

I've been thinking about what a Theresa May Cabinet could look like, this is what I've come up with, it is a WIP and I'm only listing the significant portfolios:

PM - May

Justice/Lord Chancellor - Gove, also First Secretary of State/DPM

Chancellor - Hammond.

Home Sec - Osborne people know I'm not his greatest fan, but I think he could do well in the Home Office, it would be nice to have someone who is vaguely in favour of civil liberties in there as well. Additionally he recognises the economic gains that highly skilled migrants provide so wouldn't bang on about it too much.

Foreign Sec - Grayling, he is an instinctive outer, and will be up for the task of extricating us from the EU and getting the best diplomatic settlement possible he.

Defence - Fallon, keep the whole MoD as is, I've heard many, many good things about him/his team, from civil servants, a few friends who serve and defence contractors who like his unflappability.

Education - Greening, give her a bigger role, she has learned her lesson at DfID I think.

BIS - Leadsom, she had the best campaign IMO, sharp as they come, she can get Cabinet experience and her smarts will be needed to get the best out of British industry, we also need someone who won't be taken for a fool like Javid has been recently over the Tata/Corus pension liabilities.

Energy - Truss, really it's anyone but Rudd. I would also move the climate change remit to environment.

Environment and CC - Fox, a good sop to the right as he can go to all of the climate change rubbish and swear at the virtue signalling liberals.

Transport - McLoughlin, he seems to be doing a decent job, seems friendly to LHR3 as well.

DWP - Crabb, no need for a change.

Health - Hunt, again, no need for a change.

DfID - Morgan, gets her out of Education
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    I was sure May was on 81 declared MPs earlier on the ConHome list - down to 79 now.

Leadsome was second but now 3rd with 14, one ahead of Gove but 5 behind Crabbe.

I still feel a multiple-withdrawl stitch-up coming on next week. "For the sake of the country..." It is why it would make sense for May not to "lend" any of her support to any other candidates. In that well-worn phrase from Neil Kinnock "grind the bastards into the dust". We've seen how wrong things can go when people lend their support to say Jeremy Corbyn. Look - and learn.

• Options
    But is it a guaranteed £100 now or £500 if she wins? (Scale according to your bet).
    Profit or a gamble? May be best to weight for the results of the first vote, if we are sure Leadsom will survive that and if the Cash Out offers are still available (mine seem to switch on and off)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The new voting intention poll once again is overstating the left to get off their skinny vegan arses and actually vote.

37% Tory, 27% Labour is where we are at.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    William_H said:

MPs seem to like coronations, but do they go down well with the public? Particularly for a PM who is coming to power without a general election.

I guess current circumstances give more support for a swift resolution, and they'd quite like to be in a position to point and laugh at the Labour party.

Well, the precedent is Gordon Brown...
  • Options
    taffys said:

When u quote someone please put quote marks in. :)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2016
    I think Mike should cash out to make provision for the first edition of Volume 1 of extracts and highlights from the first week of Michael Gove's speech - entitled

Backstabbing Bastard's Bonhomie Bravado
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Just did a minor cash-out on my Tory bets. My bet from 3 years ago on May has come up trumps (all good things come to those who wait etc etc). Now totally green with still a big pay day on May if she goes all the way.

Thank you Boris!!
  • Options
    nunu said:

The new voting intention poll once again is overstating the left to get off their skinny vegan arses and actually vote.
    37% Tory, 27% Labour is where we are at.

That is my gut feeling as well.
  • Options
    taffys said:

So what? We're all heading for BREXIT.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

taffys said:

and she's not really a Remainer. She just made a political calculation, like Boris did.

She's a smart operator. During the campaign she went out of her way to propose leaving the ECJ, to keep the leavers onside. After the campaign she proposed to stay in the ECJ, to reach out to the remainers. And she has got remarkably little stick for her flexibility.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    At this stage, it looks like the Tories will have their second female Prime Minister before Labour even get to having elected a woman to the party leadership role.

Do you think the fact of May or Leadsom's election/coronation will have any impact on the outcome of the Labour party leadership struggle?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656

Jonathan said:

I don't know about that! But I have to say it does feel rather good. Like coming home. Even if it is to a highly dysfunctional family. You still love it in the end, however hard you try not to.

Welcome back, Comrade! Us PB Labourites have more to unite us than divide us.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

To be fair very few of us were expecting a leadership contest in June 2016.

I've found a bet from 2007 on Dave's successor. Alan Duncan at 16/1.
  • Options
    I truly don't get this trend for thrusting rookies into the leadership. What happened to proving yourself on the front bench before getting the top job?

I really don't get it. It's bizarre.

I especially don't get some supposed ideological purity trumping proven ability within the Tory party, which - if aspires to anything good - is the triumph over what works over untested ideas.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

I've laid Osborne and Boris on your advice so hopefully you did too.
  • Options
    As Tissue Price said yesterday, you could start a bonfire with all my betting slips on this race.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Congrats, SO. The UK needs a functioning and credible opposition. We need some reverse rats to right the sinking ship. I, for one, would prefer the opposition to be to the left of the Tories, not to their right.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Out of interest, how do those of you who make lots of bet keep track - do you have a spreadsheet or something?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131

Jonathan said:

We'll see about that!
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Jonathan said:

I truly don't get this trend for thrusting rookies into the leadership. What happened to proving yourself on the front bench before getting the top job?

I really don't get it. It's bizarre.

I especially don't get some supposed ideological purity trumping proven ability within the Tory party, which - if aspires to anything good - is the triumph over what works over untested ideas.

"No time for a novice"
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Jonathan said:

Precisely. It really is as simple as that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I've been thinking about what a Theresa May Cabinet could look like, this is what I've come up with, it is a WIP and I'm only listing the significant portfolios:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Home Sec - Osborne people know I'm not his greatest fan, but I think he could do well in the Home Office, it would be nice to have someone who is vaguely in favour of civil liberties in there as well. Additionally he recognises the economic gains that highly skilled migrants provide so wouldn't bang on about it too much.

Foreign Sec - Grayling, he is an instinctive outer, and will be up for the task of extricating us from the EU and getting the best diplomatic settlement possible he.

Defence - Fallon, keep the whole MoD as is, I've heard many, many good things about him/his team, from civil servants, a few friends who serve and defence contractors who like his unflappability.

Education - Greening, give her a bigger role, she has learned her lesson at DfID I think.

BIS - Leadsom, she had the best campaign IMO, sharp as they come, she can get Cabinet experience and her smarts will be needed to get the best out of British industry, we also need someone who won't be taken for a fool like Javid has been recently over the Tata/Corus pension liabilities.

Energy - Truss, really it's anyone but Rudd. I would also move the climate change remit to environment.

Environment and CC - Fox, a good sop to the right as he can go to all of the climate change rubbish and swear at the virtue signalling liberals.

Transport - McLoughlin, he seems to be doing a decent job, seems friendly to LHR3 as well.

Still denying physical reality with regard to climate change, I see. Didn't you rather absurdly claim a couple of days ago that UK greenhouse emissions per capita are now less than they were in pre-industrial times?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I've laid Osborne and Boris on your advice so hopefully you did too.
    I have. But I'm whistfully remembering that I've been betting on this market since 2006.

That period in the summer/Autumn of 2007 was very profitable too.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Brexit has won. Remainers and leavers are a dying breed. May is being backed by Grayling, remember he was one of the few who backed Leave without even waiting for the PM's renegotiation.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Get rid of Corbyn or its 10 more years of opposition from 2020.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Still denying physical reality with regard to climate change, I see. Didn't you rather absurdly claim a couple of days ago that UK greenhouse emissions per capita are now less than they were in pre-industrial times?
    Sorry, I completely forgot, give me a bit of time.
  • Options
    Can Theresa May please kill one or two of the unnecessary government departments?
    Kill DfiD and move a (small) part of its remaining functionality to FCO for disaster relief - we really don't need the foreign virtue signalling as much as we need to save the money wasted on it.
    Kill Energy altogether.
    And finally get after the quangos with some vigour.

Theresa, Dave was a lousy metrosexual gimp with not a reforming bone in his body. You don't need to ape that. Go with the people.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Out of interest, how do those of you who make lots of bet keep track - do you have a spreadsheet or something?
    Yes I have a spreadsheet, is to stop me from getting Betfair only focus, occasionally I see a red against someone on Betfair and think I might have to green that up, then remember that I've already got it covered with a bet at say Ladbrokes
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

taffys said:

and she's not really a Remainer. She just made a political calculation, like Boris did.

She's a smart operator. During the campaign she went out of her way to propose leaving the ECJ, to keep the leavers onside. After the campaign she proposed to stay in the ECJ, to reach out to the remainers. And she has got remarkably little stick for her flexibility.

I am getting confused. ECJ or ECHR? I had thought she was talking about the latter.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Fox????

Why, for God's sake, why???
  • Options

Just did a minor cash-out on my Tory bets. My bet from 3 years ago on May has come up trumps (all good things come to those who wait etc etc). Now totally green with still a big pay day on May if she goes all the way.

Thank you Boris!!

Yeah, I was lucky on this one too. Laid Osborne, Gove and Boris way back. Backed May. All small bets but good odds. I've taken some of the May profit and will now let everything run.

On Labour I haven't a clue, and have various small bets on long shots that look most unlikely to pay off.
  • Options
    May will be singing her September Song
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited July 2016
    Opinium have really inflated Labour and downweighted UKIP as well as finding a Labour sample that was 71% Remain.

The leave/remain split at 10/10 to vote in the GE is 56-44.

That suggests that the voters will not back down. It's Scotland YesSNP 2014/2015.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Max, may I suggest some minor changes? I'd abolish DfID (its functions can go to the FCO, with a reduced budget) so that saves having to find a job for the useless Morgan. Please not Osborne at the HO. His time has come and gone and we should let him begone.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Fox????

He wouldn't be anywhere important!
  • Options

Thank you Boris!!

Well done. I've bets on Theresa and Gove still running, but by far the biggest were lays on Osborne and Johnson from a year ago, both at close to evens in the aftermath of the general election.

Can't see past May now, Leadsom is too inexperienced as is Crabb, Fox is, well, Fox so that leaves Gove and May.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Jonathan said:

Welcome home!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

You must be joking about Hunt - after taking on and losing to the junior docs he will surely be moved.

Surely Gove will be "Minister for Brexit".
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes I have a spreadsheet, is to stop me from getting Betfair only focus, occasionally I see a red against someone on Betfair and think I might have to green that up, then remember that I've already got it covered with a bet at say Ladbrokes
    I see, I can imagine keeping a track of such things isn't straightforward.
  • Options
    So the final two in the Tory leadership election will probably be:

- The Home Secretary who has totally failed to bring migration down to the tens of thousands.

- Amber Rudd's bag-carrier.

Is it too late to draft Portillo?
  • Options
    Betfair Market :

Which is sooner :

Falconer Resigns or Gove Speech Ends

£6.2bn matched in the last hour ....
  • Options

May and Gove detest each other. If May wins I'm not sure Gove gets anything at all.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

taffys said:

I am getting confused. ECJ or ECHR? I had thought she was talking about the latter.
    ECHR. It's not a big deal anyway, it's the ECJ and the charter of fundamental rights which we need to get away from.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Why is the FTSE booming (nearly 6600)

Perhaps we should ask one of the experts who predicted it would be a thousand points lower at least

Then again....
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    May really should be a shoo-in now, and yet, this is the selectorate who gave us IDS.

I can't rule out Gove or Leadsom getting it, if they are one of the final two.

It would be preferable if the others dropped out, and we had a coronation of May next week - and get on with the slow process of sorting out this bloody mess....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Thank you Boris!!

Well done. I've bets on Theresa and Gove still running, but by far the biggest were lays on Osborne and Johnson from a year ago, both at close to evens in the aftermath of the general election.

Can't see past May now, Leadsom is too inexperienced as is Crabb, Fox is, well, Fox so that leaves Gove and May.
    Nice one! Lays on Osborne and Boris came good.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

You must be joking about Hunt - after taking on and losing to the junior docs he will surely be moved.

Do Gove and May get on?

Agree on Greening. Would swap Osborne and Grayling? Leadsom for chancellor would be a possibility - she clearly wants it and might swing behind May in return?
  • Options
    F1 - Practice 2 might as well have been cancelled. Huge storm five minutes into the session, rain still coming down sideways so no cars on the track.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    taffys said:

Perhaps we should ask one of the experts who predicted it would be a thousand points lower at least

Then again....

Quantative easing looks to be back. Great for my investments, perhaps not so great for the wider economy.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Then again....

Because the £ is down (foreign earnings), it looks like interest rates will now fall rather than rise, and Carney has been down the cashpoint for some funds to prop up the market
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Another vote for May...

@politicshome: Tory eurosceptic Bernard Jenkin reveals he is backing Andrea Leadsom to be PM. #wato
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Thank you Boris!!

Yeah, I was lucky on this one too. Laid Osborne, Gove and Boris way back. Backed May. All small bets but good odds. I've taken some of the May profit and will now let everything run.

On Labour I haven't a clue, and have various small bets on long shots that look most unlikely to pay off.
    It's not luck. We are highly skilled political punters :-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Fox????

Because he gives nutters a hard-on.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I see, I can imagine keeping a track of such things isn't straightforward.
    It also gets complicated when two different markets come into/go out of alignment.

For example a lot of my bets on this market prior to May 2015 were on next Tory Leader, since then, a lot of my bets have been on next PM.
  • Options

Welcome home!

May we all join in that Peter's and Lee classic ?

And for the Labour Party .... Opportunity Knocks .... and friends I mean that most sincerely ....

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

I get the impression Mr Osborne just signs anything the civil servants put in front of him, and spends his days day-dreaming about being the Big Cheese.

No role.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited July 2016

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

I would very much like to see Gove stay at Justice. What I have seen of his philosophy and what he is doing there strikes me as a long overdue change in the direction of our treatment of criminals. I consider that vital work so far unfinished.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

May really should be a shoo-in now, and yet, this is the selectorate who gave us IDS.

It would be preferable if the others dropped out, and we had a coronation of May next week - and get on with the slow process of sorting out this bloody mess....

Didn't work too well for Gordo did it? There should be a vote.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Because she tells people what they want to hear?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

May and Gove detest each other. If May wins I'm not sure Gove gets anything at all.

I also doubt Gove would thrive in a May government - he hasn't done himself any favors over the past few weeks...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    taffys said:

Then again....

It's because the pound is so low and because FTSE 100 has a lot of international stocks.
    Also the Bank of England has hinted that we will get more Quantitative Easier (printing money).
    "The one consequence of QE we can rely on, recent history shows, is rising stock markets. "
    https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/smartinvestor/market-review/what-does-quantitative-easing-mean-for-investors.html
    This is not a good thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Do Gove and May get on?

Agree on Greening. Would swap Osborne and Grayling? Leadsom for chancellor would be a possibility - she clearly wants it and might swing behind May in return?
    Gove was very nice about Mrs May in questions after his speech today. I'm sure they will find senior Cabinet positions for each other. May promised a Cabinet position for Brexit, that would suit Gove well. Alternatively merge Home and Justice back together and have Gove run that, continuing his really good work with his current brief.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Minister for Brexit - Priti?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    ENOUGH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike hasn't got the bandwidth ....
  • Options
    taffys said:

Then again....

Nothing to do with the hinted at rate cut making more risky investments more attractive?
    See the decline in £ at the same time...
  • Options

Patrick said:

I also doubt Gove would thrive in a May government - he hasn't done himself any favors over the past few weeks...
    Her first major decision I guess. Better to give the treacherous sod something difficult to keep him busy or leave him plotting on the back benches?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

I would very much like to see Gove stay at Justice. What I have seen of his philosophy and what he is doing there strikes me as a long overdue change in the direction of our treatment of criminals. I consider that vital work so far unfinished.
    I'm not sure, Gove seems to do his best work in the first six months, then he loses interest.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Welcome home!
    Shame said home is on fire at the moment, but I am sure we can sort it out. :-0
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Do Gove and May get on?

Gove was very nice about Mrs May in questions after his speech today. I'm sure they will find senior Cabinet positions for each other. May promised a Cabinet position for Brexit, that would suit Gove well.
    Gove and May dislike each other. Mainly caused by Gove attacking her inside govt and in cabinet, usually to support Osborne.
  • Options

I spotted the typo: it should be 'shoe-in'
  • Options
    matt said:

Jonathan said:

Because she tells people what they want to hear?
    Did you go to the BBA roundtable a couple of days ago about Brexit. Much less glum than I thought it would be.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2016
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Do Gove and May get on?

Gove was very nice about Mrs May in questions after his speech today. I'm sure they will find senior Cabinet positions for each other. May promised a Cabinet position for Brexit, that would suit Gove well. Alternatively merge Home and Justice back together and have Gove run that, continuing his really good work with his current brief.
    After the speech. In the speech he took a dig at her for keeping a low profile during the referendum.

twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/748821995895349248
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Another vote for May...

@politicshome: Tory eurosceptic Bernard Jenkin reveals he is backing Andrea Leadsom to be PM. #wato

I'm shocked.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Minister for Brexit - Priti?
    IDS. :persevere:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Welcome home!
    Shame said home is on fire at the moment, but I am sure we can sort it out. :-0
    Indeed. Keep your bags packed, Southam, who knows where home might be in a few months time...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited July 2016

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

[...]

Do Gove and May get on?

Gove was very nice about Mrs May in questions after his speech today. I'm sure they will find senior Cabinet positions for each other. May promised a Cabinet position for Brexit, that would suit Gove well.
    Gove and May dislike each other. Mainly caused by Gove attacking her inside govt and in cabinet, usually to support Osborne.
    It would be an interesting ending to this four act opera for Gove to pull out of the members' ballot and take a position under May thereby allowing her to win six weeks sooner than planned.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited July 2016

I guess that Gove going on for so long, and covering so many points, he is trying to show that Gove Is A Many Splendored Thing

• Options
    Actually I'd have thought Greg Hands (currently First Sec to Treasury) would be an option for Chancellor. I'm sure he's done his master's bidding for Remain, but relatively untainted, and at least knows the ropes pretty damn well.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

Chancellor - Hammond.

Do Gove and May get on?

Now it looks like Osborne has done the dirty on Gove and sent his deputies to May. Gove = fucked.
  • Options

So the final two in the Tory leadership election will probably be:

- The Home Secretary who has totally failed to bring migration down to the tens of thousands.

- Amber Rudd's bag-carrier.

Is it too late to draft Portillo?

I think you'll find he doesn't want it. No more playing with trains.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    If Austria does vote in the far right for president, who is the bigger headache for the EU, the UK or Austria?
This discussion has been closed.