Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn loses the confidence vote by a huge margin

Comments

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Scott_P said:

@MirrorPolitics: Liz McInnes, who voted FOR Corbyn in today's vote - has resigned from his front bench. https://t.co/m68x9iTBgS https://t.co/1OabmQv0iJ

The level of farce is astonishing.

Both parties are comical. Surely there is absolutely no chance of any leadership at Westminster for a significant period of time (over a year maybe).
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,251
    I noticed this in a Charles Moore column in the Telegraph:

' When I reached the Vote Leave offices, I found a room full of empty bottles and joyful young faces. I was particularly struck by a red-headed, intellectual-looking man who, I heard, is 22 years old. His name is Richard Howell, and he is such an expert on EU law that Cabinet ministers during the campaign stood silent while he explained it all to them. '

Now there was a PBer called Richard Howell (whom I believed later changed his PB name) who was VERY knowledgeable about legal issues.

If its the same person I'm amazed he's so young.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    surbiton said:

Easyjet to move HQ out of UK - CEO

Surbiton talking bollocks.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    surbiton said:

What do the *experts* know lolz. It's all just project fear, init?

Trust Boris. He noze what he's talking about.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    murali_s said:

Even now, the Labour party hasn't got a clue how to get rid of its leader.

Haven't they watched from over the fence how ruthless the Tories are in this regard....

The Tories' rules are designed to allow ruthlessness; the Labour rules are designed to prevent it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079

The Liberal Democrat President, Sal Brinton, said:

Labour are imploding. Whilst Corbyn’s MPs have voted for him to leave and for them to take control, he plans to limp on.

With every day that passes this internal chaos hurts the most vulnerable, the poorest and those who are voiceless. The Liberal Democrats will continue to work to fill the vacuum and hold this government to account.

no laughing at the back...

Snigger ye not - Liberal Democrats are a mighty resilient bunch They've been here before and didn't do a bad job in government with the Tories. In fact many of the legacies that Cameron can look back to were Lib Dem policies
    Raising the personal allowance was one of the best policies enacted by the coalition and a Lib Dem idea. Absolubtely no credit for it in GE2015, but it was an excellent policy.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,279

Scott_P said:

@SkyNews: Visa could relocate hundreds of British jobs to Europe following EU referendum: Sky sources https://t.co/cXfYGoay7X https://t.co/VCE9FtDmLI

I thought Project Fear was over?

When's the EU going to relocate you? Can't wait.
    That’not the first data-related relocation I’ve seen.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,500

Labour are imploding. Whilst Corbyn’s MPs have voted for him to leave and for them to take control, he plans to limp on.

With every day that passes this internal chaos hurts the most vulnerable, the poorest and those who are voiceless. The Liberal Democrats will continue to work to fill the vacuum and hold this government to account.

Snigger ye not - Liberal Democrats are a mighty resilient bunch They've been here before and didn't do a bad job in government with the Tories. In fact many of the legacies that Cameron can look back to were Lib Dem policies
    IMO the Lib Dems problem was that they gained a large number of voters post-Iraq from Labour. They made the mistake of assuming that these voters were Lib Dems. They were not; they were Labour on holiday, and it did not take much for them to go back home (or on another holiday).

What Farron needs to do is sell Liberal Democrat ideals. I think there're lots of takers if they sell it right.

After all the coalition worked remarkably well. ;)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,817
    PAW said:

Makes you wonder what it was like in Ryton - when the EU with its hand in front of its mouth paid Peugot to move its plant to Slovacia.

Coventry was 56% LEAVE.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I agree with most of that – the Coalition did some great things together IMHO.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Angela Rayner is in "Core Group Plus" and is sticking by Corbyn.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well now we don't need to worry about the EU competition law any more - why not save the £30,000,000 on the competition for mini nuclear power stations and just form a joint company with RR to start building them. Based on the astute submarine design I expect with no refuelling for its life time.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740

Are we now living the end of western political civilisation, as predicted by the President of the EU Council, Tusk if we voted to LEAVE the EU?

Hopefully just Suez on Steroids. If the kneecapping we're about to get from the Franco/German and US deep states is brutal enough noone else will be made enough to pull a Brexit type stunt. The centre will hold.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Why don't the Labour Party hold an "old style" party leadership contest to determine their challenger to Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Lowlander said:

Well there definitely is a huge vacuum to be filled by a third party.

Unfortunately for the Libs, they are no longer a third party.
    Lib Dems got nearly three times the votes of the SNP at the general election and under proportional representation would have 50 MPs.

It's the voting system, stupid. :)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,065

I would say if those were the 3 candidates

Eagle is your Kendall

Watson is your Mrs Balls

Jezza gets over 50% in that 3 way IMO

I don't think there is any doubt at all that the Labour membership would rather have a Tory government than a Labour one led by anyone other than Jeremy Corbyn. In other words, they would prefer a Tory government. That is their prerogative, but hopefully as the party withers and dies some of them at least may reflect on just how badly they have let down the people that labour came into being to represent. I doubt it though. They will be self-righteous and selfish tot he very end.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,100
    Freggles said:

@DPJHodges: Told "definitely not true" it's been decided Angela Eagle will be the one to run against Corbyn.

CRIED OFF
    John do you acknowledge that there are people in the labour party who are neither Corbynites nor right-wing Blairites?
    Of course. I think Burnhams level of support in last leadership election probably falls into that category
  • Options

I doubt that would work, for many reasons. Not the least of which is that the plans for the London to Birmingham section are probably two or three years ahead of those for the northern sections. And this occurred because the major reasons for doing it are capacity constraints on the southern section.

Also, HS3 (or whatever they're calling it) might cause the plans for the northern section to be slightly altered. It'd be good if HS2's northern branches and HS3 actually complemented each other. It'd be (literal) joined-up thinking.

(ISTR they've done this at a stations on Crossrail (Tottenham Court Road?) where it has been constructed to allow Crossrail 2 later without causing as much inconvenience to passengers)

The only reason HIgh Speed Two is needed is because some idiot built three monster size new towns between London and Rugby meaning the West Coast Main Line is full and a relief line is needed.

If you build one you build it to be fast. No brainer.

However there is case other than political to build it north of Crewe and the eastern branch to leeds via east midlands is repeating the folly of the great central duplicate route and will be little if at all faster to many city centres served by the Midland and East Coast lines all of which have plenty of capacity other than at pinch points such as welwyn viaduct.

It is now becoming obvious that the costs of building it for 250mph rather than 180mph are prohibitive.

Build london to crewe at 180mph and spend the rest on the existing network is logical and outside the EU we will be able to do just that.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

@DPJHodges: Told "definitely not true" it's been decided Angela Eagle will be the one to run against Corbyn.

CRIED OFF
    John do you acknowledge that there are people in the labour party who are neither Corbynites nor right-wing Blairites?

Anyone who opposes Corbyn is a Blairite.

• Options
    surbiton said:

Do you have a link for that? On C4 News about 10 mins ago the CEO actually said they had no such plans when asked.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016
    Trump policy speech LIVE in PA...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmSm0y2BHI
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pong said:

surbiton said:

Moving a brass plate is not the same as moving jobs.
  • Options

Freggles said:

CRIED OFF

Hello John
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@SkyNews: Visa could relocate hundreds of British jobs to Europe following EU referendum: Sky sources https://t.co/cXfYGoay7X https://t.co/VCE9FtDmLI

I thought Project Fear was over?

When's the EU going to relocate you? Can't wait.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: It's war, now. If Corbyn wins 2nd mandate, mandatory reselection of MPs, recall + more power for members all planned
    https://t.co/NhvzFccCw3

Sounds great.

How could any supporter of democracy not like that.

Lab splitters not so much!

Bravado, if Corbyn wins again it's going to be a very hollow victory, it will be all over for Labour for decades if not for ever, matters little whether they split or not.
    Especially if Scotland decides to go it alone.
  • Options

Freggles said:

CRIED OFF

You really believe that?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Raising the personal allowance was one of the best policies enacted by the coalition and a Lib Dem idea. Absolubtely no credit for it in GE2015, but it was an excellent policy.
    Of course there wasn’t. Dave was only interested in screwing the LD’s to get a majority. There’s no gratitude in poilitics, but Dave takes the biscuit.
    If he goes down in history as taking the prize for the worst PM from Lord North I shall look down from wherever and laugh.
    Or of course up. But I shall still find that to smile about!!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    nunu said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Quite the opposite if you consider Eire's recent history.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Even now, the Labour party hasn't got a clue how to get rid of its leader.

Haven't they watched from over the fence how ruthless the Tories are in this regard....

Apparently, the assumption has always been that a leader who lost a vote of confidence among MPs would step down and so it was never codified. Obviously, that would normally be the case. But Corbyn plays by different rules.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

OllyT said:

Oh, and perhaps as a sign of my mental infirmity at the moment, I'm seriously considering joining the LibDems. I considered joining either the Lib Dems or Conservatives after the last GE, but am now leaning heavily towards the LDs.

We need an effective opposition in England and Wales, and Labour's too busy opposing itself atm. ;)

Didn't think I'd ever say this but I am pondering the same but from the ex-Labour direction. I will rejoin for £3 to vote for the next leader but if Corbyn prevails then I'm off.
    I can only hope the Lib Dems are a broad church. ;)
    I've just this minute joined the Lib Dems. I've not been politically active before, but the referendum and this site have given me the kick up the arse that I was waiting for. I wonder what's in the welcome pack?
    I suggest you visit Liberal Democrat Voice ( http://www.libdemvoice.org/) from time to time as well as PB of course.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Of the 10 LEAVERS I've spoken to in the last few days, since the vote, at least half are now having serious second thoughts. This ranges from my Dad's Cornish cleaner to posho London journos.

It's purely anecdotal, I know, but I reckon if a revote was held now it could be a simple switch: 52:48 win for REMAIN.

And this is before the economic flames now beginning to lick around London become remotely perceptible to most Britons out there, where it seems like nothing has changed.

In two or three months, IF this contagion spreads, then REMAIN could be 60/40 in public opinion and LEAVE politicians will be howlingly unpopular

I don't want this to happen, but you can see how, if it does happen, all of our politics will be upended. Boris could be hated.

And we'd lose all Cameron's concessions, and probably be back in a much worse position wrt the EU than we were last year.

The voters have voted. We should be fully out.

If we got for EEA/EFTA many people will be very, very unhappy. Perhaps even violence-on-the-streets-of-London unhappy. That's what Leave sold them.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

scotslass said:

Wanderer

Plus ca change. Kezia can't do her job now.

I hope you watch her speech today. It was quietly sensational.

Apart from the end bit, it was loudly sensational.
    Did they bluster and shout and abstain as usual
    I'd seriously recommend you watch it malc. Prior to the speech I had no idea what SLab's position was - the speech laid out the Slab position clearly, calmly and with great precision . The range and limits of their support for the First Minister were clearly delineated an then it finished with a passionate, heartfelt but controlled complete an utter kicking of Ruth Davidson.

I felt a little sorry for Davidson at the end of it. She was destroyed.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,941
    Wanderer said:

SeanT said:

Good News.

Pressure has eased on UK financial markets after two days of turmoil in the wake of the Brexit vote, with the FTSE 100 share index closing higher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36648630

Considering most of our politicians are behaving like idiots that does rather nail the were all doomed meme.
    Dead Cat Bounce?

Look, I don't want to be the sad, ranting Cassandra in the corner, but day to day movements in the market are nothing compared to the mood music of companies not investing and banks relocating and big infrastructure projects cancelled and all the rest.

It's like looking at the tea leaves, to see your future, when the tea room is possibly burning down.
    It's happening in my (ex-) industry. People are really worried for their jobs, including Mrs J. One small startup has had some funding withdrawn yesterday (although there's always the possibility that might have happened anyway).

Confidence is low; no wonder when there have been staff and friends crying because they feel unwelcome.

And n pathetic safe-area cries of 'Wacist!' can change that.
    I went into the office today for the first time since Thursday and found people very worried about their jobs. And this is in a company that should not (I hope!) be that vulnerable.
    When people are pessimistic it affects their economic behaviour, they put off changing the car, they decide not to move house etc etc. If that perception is widespread the economy will be deeply in recession well before we ever get close to actually Brexiting.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

taffys said:

Mr. JS, Corbyn can survive. Not sure about Labour, though.

Mr Morris If Corbyn goes back to the membership, and they confirm him, what on earth happens then?

Progress Labour buggers off and at least 15 years of Tory Governments ensues as left vote is split between Labour and progress Labour until progress Labour gives it up as a bad job

Looking on the bright side at least we get to find out who was most out of touch with WWC,

I think Progress Lab are in for a shock but we will see.

Maybe the Members will back down

Yep - I think we can all see the working class flocking to support Corbyn Labour's pro open door immigration, pro-IRA, pro-Hamas platform. When you are living in a dump and not earning enough to warm your house in winter solidarity with the Palestinians is what keeps you going.

Labour splitters have faired worse in the past.

When Lab splits which I now see as very likely.

We will find our if Lab or SDP 2 proves most popular.

You up for a bet when that point is reached?
    Again, the irony is that an SDP v2 would be based exactly on the principles behind the "Remain" campaign -- the campaign that just got hammered by the voters.

For all the Labour moderates' asserting (without evidence) that they know how to win elections, their mixture of economic conservatism/cultural liberalism has never been less popular with the country.
    Remain did win 16m+ votes, which is more than any party has ever done. Now, granted, a lot of it might have been grudging support but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
    Of the 10 LEAVERS I've spoken to in the last few days, since the vote, at least half are now having serious second thoughts. This ranges from my Dad's Cornish cleaner to posho London journos.

It's purely anecdotal, I know, but I reckon if a revote was held now it could be a simple switch: 52:48 win for REMAIN.

And this is before the economic flames now beginning to lick around London become remotely perceptible to most Britons out there, where it seems like nothing has changed.

In two or three months, IF this contagion spreads, then REMAIN could be 60/40 in public opinion and LEAVE politicians will be howlingly unpopular

I don't want this to happen, but you can see how, if it does happen, all of our politics will be upended. Boris could be hated.
    Nearly 4 million have signed the petition calling for a second referendum.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,589
    http://stv.tv/news/politics/1358976-no-big-obstacle-to-independent-scotland-joining-eu/

Guy Verhofstadt: No big obstacle to an independent Scotland joining the EU before Brexit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I agree but I wonder if that has run its course. The benefits of raising the PA is obviously beneficial to the individual albeit by only a relatively small amount but from a wider perspective it is very very expensive. The Lib Dems policy was that you reduce taxes for the lower paid at the expense of higher taxes further up the food-chain. That still has merit.

What the Tories have done is to do both - to pay for it we now have the sorts of cuts to public services that have largely destroyed many urban areas in the North. We simply cannot go on cutting taxes AND protecting public services.

As a parent of a youngster at college I fail to see the benefit to me in financial terms of receiving £200 a year in tax savings if my local authority, as a result of cuts to local authority grants, raise the student bus pass by 50% to nearly £700.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Freggles said:

CRIED OFF
    Of course. I think Burnhams level of support in last leadership election probably falls into that category
    I wish I had the luxury of being able to support Corbyn but I would like us to win an election among the general public and that is never, ever going to happen with him as leader. And if the Tories keep winning your pension will be protected but my generation won't be.

Ed Miliband was too left wing and laughed at for saying New Labour didn't overspend. Wait 'til we go into a GE with a leader who thinks New Labour didn't spend enough.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,898

Sorry, you didn't just do 'not a bad job', you did a great job in government. The country owes the LD party a huge degree of respect for that. Being a minority partner in your non-preferred coalition, and carrying that government to the full term was an incredible achievement.

Whatever the LD ills everyone in the party should really hold their heads up high in that they did something difficult and unprecedented - and moreover did it well.

I'm not likely to vote LD (but please persuade me), and I think Farron is rather poor, but I will always hold your party in the greatest esteem in that you showed yourselves capable of making an enormously brave choice, and delivering on that choice.

• Options

OllyT said:

Oh, and perhaps as a sign of my mental infirmity at the moment, I'm seriously considering joining the LibDems. I considered joining either the Lib Dems or Conservatives after the last GE, but am now leaning heavily towards the LDs.

We need an effective opposition in England and Wales, and Labour's too busy opposing itself atm. ;)

Didn't think I'd ever say this but I am pondering the same but from the ex-Labour direction. I will rejoin for £3 to vote for the next leader but if Corbyn prevails then I'm off.
    I can only hope the Lib Dems are a broad church. ;)
    I've just this minute joined the Lib Dems. I've not been politically active before, but the referendum and this site have given me the kick up the arse that I was waiting for. I wonder what's in the welcome pack?
    I suggest you visit Liberal Democrat Voice ( http://www.libdemvoice.org/) from time to time as well as PB of course.
    I've already had a nose around there. Thanks though!
  • Options

I doubt that would work, for many reasons. Not the least of which is that the plans for the London to Birmingham section are probably two or three years ahead of those for the northern sections. And this occurred because the major reasons for doing it are capacity constraints on the southern section.

Also, HS3 (or whatever they're calling it) might cause the plans for the northern section to be slightly altered. It'd be good if HS2's northern branches and HS3 actually complemented each other. It'd be (literal) joined-up thinking.

(ISTR they've done this at a stations on Crossrail (Tottenham Court Road?) where it has been constructed to allow Crossrail 2 later without causing as much inconvenience to passengers)

The only reason HIgh Speed Two is needed is because some idiot built three monster size new towns between London and Rugby meaning the West Coast Main Line is full and a relief line is needed.

However there is case other than political to build it north of Crewe and the eastern branch to leeds via east midlands is repeating the folly of the great central duplicate route and will be little if at all faster to many city centres served by the Midland and East Coast lines all of which have plenty of capacity other than at pinch points such as welwyn viaduct.

It is now becoming obvious that the costs of building it for 250mph rather than 180mph are prohibitive.

Build london to crewe at 180mph and spend the rest on the existing network is logical and outside the EU we will be able to do just that.
    Speaking of the Great Central, there is now no rail service north of Aylesbury Vale (save for Quainton Road specials in May and August Bank Holidays), and no direct connection between Rugby and Leicester.
  • Options

Is it really anything to do with the EU or is blaming that just straw-catching?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    BBC has reported that Boris Johnson has indicated no GE if he wins.

Will this put pressure on other contenders to do the same.

Seems certain that candidates are going to be asked the question during leadership debates.

Members likely to prefer the 100% certainty of 4 more years of Con Majority Government.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

scotslass said:

Wanderer

I'd seriously recommend you watch it malc
    Do you have a link?
  • Options
    There is another VERY good reason to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn. Frankly this is not a time for kneejerk opposition on everything the Government does. Labour will want to play a part in the Brexit negotiations and that means they will to some extent need to be constructive and encourage the Government to request their input into the negotiations. As much as the Government they will need to have a Brexit stance - what they want to see and what they don't. Does anyone think that Corbyn is the man for that, a man who quite possibly still doesn't know if he is pleased or not with the outcome of the vote?
  • Options

Freggles said:

CRIED OFF

You really believe that?

No, but you do.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    edited June 2016
    I've been thinking about what a Theresa May Cabinet could look like, this is what I've come up with, it is a WIP and I'm only listing the significant portfolios:

PM - May

Justice/Lord Chancellor - Gove, also First Secretary of State/DPM

Chancellor - Boris, it will be up to him to deliver Leave's spending pledges and the £350m or £100m per week or whatever it was.

Home Sec - Osborne, as people know I'm not his greatest fan, but I think he could do well in the Home Office, it would be nice to have someone who is vaguely in favour of civil liberties in there as well. Additionally he recognises the economic gains that highly skilled migrants provide so wouldn't bang on about it too much.

Foreign Sec - Hammond, he is an instinctive outer, he may have declared for remain, but given the task of extricating us from the EU and getting the best diplomatic settlement possible he will know what to do, additionally as a self made person he obviously knows how to get things done, so will be useful for all the trade talks we will have with the EU and RoW nations.

Defence - Fallon, keep the whole MoD as is, I've heard many, many good things about him/his team, from civil servants, a few friends who serve and defence contractors who like his unflappability.

Education - Greening, give her a bigger role, she has learned her lesson at DfID I think.

BIS - Leadsom, she had the best campaign IMO, sharp as they come, she can get Cabinet experience and her smarts will be needed to get the best out of British industry, we also need someone who won't be taken for a fool like Javid has been recently over the Tata/Corus pension liabilities.

Energy - Truss, really it's anyone but Rudd. I would also move the climate change remit to environment.

Environment and CC - Fox, a good sop to the right as he can go to all of the climate change rubbish and swear at the virtue signalling liberals.

Transport - McLoughlin, he seems to be doing a decent job, seems friendly to LHR3 as well.

DWP - Crabb, no need for a change.

Health - Hunt, again, no need for a change.

DfID - Morgan, gets her out of Education
  • Options

Eagle is your Kendall

Watson is your Mrs Balls

I don't think there is any doubt at all that the Labour membership would rather have a Tory government than a Labour one led by anyone other than Jeremy Corbyn. In other words, they would prefer a Tory government. That is their prerogative, but hopefully as the party withers and dies some of them at least may reflect on just how badly they have let down the people that labour came into being to represent. I doubt it though. They will be self-righteous and selfish tot he very end.

The only problem with your argument is LAB PLP is more out of touch with LAB voters than Corbyn.

Even Foot smashed the SDP electorally

Resulting is a further 14 years of Tory rule
  • Options

http://stv.tv/news/politics/1358976-no-big-obstacle-to-independent-scotland-joining-eu/

Guy Verhofstadt: No big obstacle to an independent Scotland joining the EU before Brexit.

No big obstacle to an independent Flanders joining England imo.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Carolyn McCall told Channel 4 News that it “remains to be seen” whether the budget carrier would keep its HQ at Luton airport, where it has been based since it was founded in 1995.

“What I have said is that Luton is a massive base for us and we wouldn’t be moving lock, stock and barrel from Luton,” she added. “So at the moment we know that Luton will remain Luton in terms of large numbers of people.”

This is what she *actually* said

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/28/airline-bosses-try-to-calm-investor-brexit-fears/
  • Options
    Just had a thought.

Ed Miliband's mansion tax is going to seem cheap compared to what Brexit might do....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Do you have a link for that? On C4 News about 10 mins ago the CEO actually said they had no such plans when asked.
    It's just a rumour at the moment, Easyjet have not decided anything

There are plenty of real cases of frozen investment and postponed purchases, without having to make shit up
    On June 11th EasyJet said they would not move their HQ even in the event of Brexit but would perhaps have to set up a separate European operation because of the need for a separate Air Operators Certificate.

It is something RyanAir already do and they have three separate AOCs based in the UK, Ireland and Spain.

Methinks Surbiton is talking out of his bottom .
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    edited June 2016
    surbiton said:

Do you have a link? Can't see anything about that on the company home page.

Edit: posted before I saw Charles's comment above.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    MaxPB said:

I've been thinking about what a Theresa May Cabinet could look like, this is what I've come up with, it is a WIP and I'm only listing the significant portfolios:

PM - May

Chancellor - Boris, it will be up to him to deliver Leave's spending pledges and the £350m or £100m per week or whatever it was.

Home Sec - Osborne, as people know I'm not his greatest fan, but I think he could do well in the Home Office, it would be nice to have someone who is vaguely in favour of civil liberties in there as well. Additionally he recognises the economic gains that highly skilled migrants provide so wouldn't bang on about it too much.

Foreign Sec - Hammond, he is an instinctive outer, he may have declared for remain, but given the task of extricating us from the EU and getting the best diplomatic settlement possible he will know what to do, additionally as a self made person he obviously knows how to get things done, so will be useful for all the trade talks we will have with the EU and RoW nations.

Defence - Fallon, keep the whole MoD as is, I've heard many, many good things about him/his team, from civil servants, a few friends who serve and defence contractors who like his unflappability.

Education - Greening, give her a bigger role, she has learned her lesson at DfID I think.

BIS - Leadsom, she had the best campaign IMO, sharp as they come, she can get Cabinet experience and her smarts will be needed to get the best out of British industry, we also need someone who won't be taken for a fool like Javid has been recently over the Tata/Corus pension liabilities.

Energy - Truss, really it's anyone but Rudd. I would also move the climate change remit to environment.

Environment and CC - Fox, a good sop to the right as he can go to all of the climate change rubbish and swear at the virtue signalling liberals.

Transport - McLoughlin, he seems to be doing a decent job, seems friendly to LHR3 as well.

You don't believe in anthropogenic climate change?
  • Options

Freggles said:

CRIED OFF

You really believe that?

No, but you do.

Have you now lost your ability to read.

See my response to Freggles.

I have no idea why you think you know what I think more than I do.
  • Options

We're spending (from memory) £30-odd billion on the conventional existing network over the current control period (CP6?) of five years. There are ever-decreasing returns, as we saw with the WCML upgrade, which delivered less than promised (e.g. 125 MPH instead of 140 MPH) was years late (with the consequent hassle for passengers) and cost about ten times the predicted price.

And that's leaving aside the fact that politicians rarely if ever spend the money saved on cancelling/ reducing a project on related projects; they just grab it back.

As for the line speed: I'm fairly agnostic about that. It is covered in the report(s), and there reasoning seemed sensible. I could be convinced.

But as I've said passim, Euston's the real problem. It's currently a run-down hole; it'll be a money pit for HS2.

Ouch. That attempted pun's made my head hurt. ;)
  • Options

Are we now living the end of western political civilisation, as predicted by the President of the EU Council, Tusk if we voted to LEAVE the EU?

Hopefully just Suez on Steroids. If the kneecapping we're about to get from the Franco/German and US deep states is brutal enough noone else will be made enough to pull a Brexit type stunt. The centre will hold.
    Pure fantasy.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Carolyn McCall told Channel 4 News that it “remains to be seen” whether the budget carrier would keep its HQ at Luton airport, where it has been based since it was founded in 1995.

“What I have said is that Luton is a massive base for us and we wouldn’t be moving lock, stock and barrel from Luton,” she added. “So at the moment we know that Luton will remain Luton in terms of large numbers of people.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/28/airline-bosses-try-to-calm-investor-brexit-fears/
    If we lose access to Open Skies they'll be gone. AF-KLM, Alitalia and various legacy airlines would, I suspect, love a return to bilaterals. Still, one to negotiate I guess. I'm no expert on aircraft and airlines though. Oh sorry, yes I am.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,251
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Yep - I think we can all see the working class flocking to support Corbyn Labour's pro open door immigration, pro-IRA, pro-Hamas platform. When you are living in a dump and not earning enough to warm your house in winter solidarity with the Palestinians is what keeps you going.

Again, the irony is that an SDP v2 would be based exactly on the principles behind the "Remain" campaign -- the campaign that just got hammered by the voters.

For all the Labour moderates' asserting (without evidence) that they know how to win elections, their mixture of economic conservatism/cultural liberalism has never been less popular with the country.
    Remain did win 16m+ votes, which is more than any party has ever done. Now, granted, a lot of it might have been grudging support but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

Whereas everyone I know who voted Leave are even more convinced that it was the right thing to do and this stretches from the factory floor to director level.

Do you really think anyone in the midlands or North or Wales is going to do anything other than laugh about a risk to London property prices or City bonuses ?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

I believe the climate is changing, I also believe that this country has done more than its fair share of emissions reductions. Our per capita emissions are lower than pre-industrialisation now. We can't be asked for more than that since it has cost us our heavy industry.
  • Options

Don't know why anyone's suddenly got the idea that an Independent Scotland can be delivered in a timescale before Brexit. Sindy takes a bit more time than just a referendum vote. And frankly it would be ridiculous to have a scenario where both were being negotiated simultaneously given that one will input significantly on the other.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I agree but I wonder if that has run its course. The benefits of raising the PA is obviously beneficial to the individual albeit by only a relatively small amount but from a wider perspective it is very very expensive. The Lib Dems policy was that you reduce taxes for the lower paid at the expense of higher taxes further up the food-chain. That still has merit.

What the Tories have done is to do both - to pay for it we now have the sorts of cuts to public services that have largely destroyed many urban areas in the North. We simply cannot go on cutting taxes AND protecting public services.

As a parent of a youngster at college I fail to see the benefit to me in financial terms of receiving £200 a year in tax savings if my local authority, as a result of cuts to local authority grants, raise the student bus pass by 50% to nearly £700.
    I'm not a politician and as ever its a tricky judgement. Certainly a reckless gamble on the economy with Brexit is something the Lib Dems wisely would never have done.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

scotslass said:

Wanderer

Do you have a link?
    Was on BBC Parliament channel so should be on iPlayer. She started at around 14:33
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Wonder how many CEOs etc remain lined up to make such announcements if the vote went the wrong way.

Lets see if it actually happens.
  • Options

Eagle is your Kendall

Watson is your Mrs Balls

The only problem with your argument is LAB PLP is more out of touch with LAB voters than Corbyn.

Not quite. The system smashed the SDP electorally. This is up there with “Dave defeated Labour” when in fact the Tories lost seat to Labour. Nett.
  • Options

"Yousa thinking yousa people gonna die?"

- Jar Jar Binks.
  • Options

Eagle is your Kendall

Watson is your Mrs Balls

Yes, I acknowledge Labour voters are extremely keen on an open door immigration policy, while being very pro-IRA and pro-Hamas, and intensely anti-Trident. They are also utterly disdainful of patriotism. Alongside Corbyn himself, I'd say that Emily Thornberry is most in touch with ordinary Labour voters - as she has proved time and again.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Don't know why anyone's suddenly got the idea that an Independent Scotland can be delivered in a timescale before Brexit. Sindy takes a bit more time than just a referendum vote. And frankly it would be ridiculous to have a scenario where both were being negotiated simultaneously given that one will input significantly on the other.
    Then we'll have to postpone any Brexit discussions until after Sindy is done and dusted, or go back on the whole idea.
  • Options
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

No one is going to talk about moving until they know what the government is going to seek. If it is EFTA/EEA then no one is going to bother leaving since we'd be in the single market (as well as Horizon 2020, the single European sky and retain the financial passport).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    "Natalie Bennett calls for General Election in November to deliver a people's government

Green Party leader Natalie Bennett has called for a General Election in November to select a Government to lead Britain into a decision on its future relationship with the European Union. The leader of the Green Party, who campaigned for Britain to remain a member of the EU, is calling for a period of calm and reflection."

http://wembleymatters.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/natalie-bennett-calls-for-general.html?spref=fb&m=1
  • Options
    I am rapidly developing the opinion that the only thing that the Remainder crowd fear more than being right about all the post-Brexit doom and gloom is being wrong about it.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Maybe Scotland can be given to the EU as a token of peace in the negotiations.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

No one is going to talk about moving until they know what the government is going to seek. If it is EFTA/EEA then no one is going to bother leaving since we'd be in the single market (as well as Horizon 2020, the single European sky and retain the financial passport).

They are all going to talk about it so that they get what they want.

• Options

Eagle is your Kendall

Watson is your Mrs Balls

Not quite. The system smashed the SDP electorally. This is up there with “Dave defeated Labour” when in fact the Tories lost seat to Labour. Nett.
    But unfortunately they lost tons of seats to the SNP - net!
  • Options

Speaking of the Great Central, there is now no rail service north of Aylesbury Vale (save for Quainton Road specials in May and August Bank Holidays), and no direct connection between Rugby and Leicester.
    It's a terrible shame they destroyed the route through Leicester and Nottingham. Some say it was deliberate, and it was certainly with indecent haste. Although ISTR the Victoria Centre in Nottingham has room underneath for a two-line rail route. So it's a shame the rest of the route in the area's been obliterated.

But the problem with the old GCR route was that it used existing routes into London, which are quite busy to this day.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

Fully Out in one wrench could take 5-10% off our economy. Senseless. The vote from the people was LEAVE, it wasn't END ALL IMMIGRATION AND SCREW TRADE AS WELL

It kinda was though.

Remain said it would screw trade, and leave said it would end all immigration.

And people voted for it. Lots of them
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

CRIED OFF
    I wish I had the luxury of being able to support Corbyn but I would like us to win an election among the general public and that is never, ever going to happen with him as leader. And if the Tories keep winning your pension will be protected but my generation won't be.

Ed Miliband was too left wing and laughed at for saying New Labour didn't overspend. Wait 'til we go into a GE with a leader who thinks New Labour didn't spend enough.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

if you think Ed was too left wing

Perhaps you could outline which of his policies was too left wing for you
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DAaronovitch: Close relative tells me this evening company just lost big non-European contract worth several million because of Brexit.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Do you have a link?
    It should be on iPlayer, check the A-Z for "POlitics Scotland"
  • Options

alex. said:

Then we'll have to postpone any Brexit discussions until after Sindy is done and dusted, or go back on the whole idea.
    Why?

There is absolutely no need to wait on Scotland before negotiating Brexit. We can very easily go ahead and let Scotland make their own decision based on the circumstances at the time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

I believe the climate is changing, I also believe that this country has done more than its fair share of emissions reductions. Our per capita emissions are lower than pre-industrialisation now. We can't be asked for more than that since it has cost us our heavy industry.
    That sounds astonishingly unlikely. Do you have a link for that?
  • Options
    Have Tom and Angela drawn straws yet ?
  • Options

Eagle is your Kendall

Watson is your Mrs Balls

But unfortunately they lost tons of seats to the SNP - net!
    Absolutely true. But that was in spite of Dave, not because of him.
  • Options

Freggles said:

CRIED OFF

You really believe that?

No, but you do.

Have you now lost your ability to read.

See my response to Freggles.

I have no idea why you think you know what I think more than I do.

Apologies - if you now accept that this goes beyond a few discontented Blairites then fair enough.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@DAaronovitch: Close relative tells me this evening company just lost big non-European contract worth several million because of Brexit.

Why does that make me happier ?
  • Options

Eagle is your Kendall

Watson is your Mrs Balls

The same system we still have.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Far too sensible a view for the project fear merchants of doom.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    There is a huge Remain demo in London which does not have anything like the police numbers necessary from the pictures on C4. Many thousands of people, perhaps three dozen cops who are not wearing riot gear.

Apparently it was cancelled due to lack of police but people have turned up anyway. There could be an interesting night in central London.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Whereas everyone I know who voted Leave are even more convinced that it was the right thing to do and this stretches from the factory floor to director level.

Do you really think anyone in the midlands or North or Wales is going to do anything other than laugh about a risk to London property prices or City bonuses ?
    Not to mention people who voted Remain, unenthusiastically, but now take the view we should make the best of Brexit.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

They are all going to talk about it so that they get what they want.

Yes, sorry. That's what I meant. Look at what HSBC achieved in reducing the bank levy with their protracted HQ investigation.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583

I am rapidly developing the opinion that the only thing that the Remainder crowd fear more than being right about all the post-Brexit doom and gloom is being wrong about it.

I'm sure that that is the big fear in EU circles as well, not that Brexit will cause chaos, but that it works and others follow our lead.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Fully Out in one wrench could take 5-10% off our economy. Senseless. The vote from the people was LEAVE, it wasn't END ALL IMMIGRATION AND SCREW TRADE AS WELL

It kinda was though.

Remain said it would screw trade, and leave said it would end all immigration.

And people voted for it. Lots of them
    The people who voted out are much more likely to be economically inactive. They can cope with screwing trade a lot more thanthose of working age.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sorry, you didn't just do 'not a bad job', you did a great job in government. The country owes the LD party a huge degree of respect for that. Being a minority partner in your non-preferred coalition, and carrying that government to the full term was an incredible achievement.

Whatever the LD ills everyone in the party should really hold their heads up high in that they did something difficult and unprecedented - and moreover did it well.

I'm not likely to vote LD (but please persuade me), and I think Farron is rather poor, but I will always hold your party in the greatest esteem in that you showed yourselves capable of making an enormously brave choice, and delivering on that choice.

Tim Farron comes across as lightweight on the national picture but he is a phenomenal campaigner. You only have to look at what he has done in his own constituency to see what he has achieved and you see why he is highly regarded by the grass-roots. His style of community politics is re-building the party from the bottom up "Pick a ward - and win it". We've done it three times in this area of rural Dorset and won three district council by-elections from the Tories.

I picked up a converstion on the Lib Dem Twitter feed this morning where someone had tweeted a criticism of the EU policy - the first respondent was Tim himself engaging with the guy and asking him to contact him personally...that makes a difference.

I would like to see Norman Lamb take a more prominent role nationally and I think the spotlight on big problems building up in the social care sector will boost his profile and it was good to see Nick Clegg find his voice again in recent times.

Things are looking up certainly - 24 new members for our local party in a week. All will get a visit over the weekend and that's how the party will rebuild itself.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016

surbiton said:

Wonder how many CEOs etc remain lined up to make such announcements if the vote went the wrong way.

Lets see if it actually happens.
    The campaign finished at 10pm last Thursday.

There's no conspiracy, just cold hard economic reality.

Yes let's hope they don't leave, but the responsibility if they do will be with those supporters of the leave campaign.

They outright lied to the British people about what voting to leave would actually mean.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

PM - May

That sounds astonishingly unlikely. Do you have a link for that?
    I saw a picture on here iirc, I'll try and dig it up.
  • Options

Richard, I eventually voted remain, and I said on Friday I accept the result of the vote. So did others on here.

But you can't just wave away the real effects the vote is already having. I'm seeing it with my own eyes.

A friend - a well-paid and well-integrated immigrant - says she had a nightmare of someone setting fire to her house. It's never happened before, and it's a direct result of the tone of the leave debate. An overreaction? Perhaps. But it's real.

But feel free to ignore it, or disbelieve me.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

There is a huge Remain demo in London which does not have anything like the police numbers necessary from the pictures on C4. Many thousands of people, perhaps three dozen cops who are not wearing riot gear.

Apparently it was cancelled due to lack of police but people have turned up anyway. There could be an interesting night in central London.

Up to a third of voters have signed the petition calling for another referendum in some London constituencies like Hornsey & Wood Green and Hackney North & Stoke Newington.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

And we'd lose all Cameron's concessions, and probably be back in a much worse position wrt the EU than we were last year.

The voters have voted. We should be fully out.

If we got for EEA/EFTA many people will be very, very unhappy. Perhaps even violence-on-the-streets-of-London unhappy. That's what Leave sold them.
    We have no brilliant choices. We have a pretty decent choice if we act fast, and join the EEA/single market, promising the people a rethink and the rest of it on free movement when we see the scale of migration in that arrangement

FFS - your lot won. As others have said from both sides - suck it up.

I voted Remain a few days and Labour last year as I am very pro-EU. I am gutted. I am concerned about the economy and the nervousness of being an immigrant right now. But life has to go on...

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128

Isn't that so?
  • Options

It's a terrible shame they destroyed the route through Leicester and Nottingham. Some say it was deliberate, and it was certainly with indecent haste. Although ISTR the Victoria Centre in Nottingham has room underneath for a two-line rail route. So it's a shame the rest of the route in the area's been obliterated.

But the problem with the old GCR route was that it used existing routes into London, which are quite busy to this day.
    I guess they could use the same frequency of current Chiltern Railways services, merely extended to Rugby (for argument's sake) without seriously impinging on capacity. I think there are trains every 30 mins to Aylesbury (Aylesbury Vale Parkway every 60 mins).
  • Options
    Looks like there are at least 5,000 at the demo and right outside parliament. Virtually no police in sight.
This discussion has been closed.