Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn loses the confidence vote by a huge margin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn loses the confidence vote by a huge margin

Now being told 176 to 44 – huge defeat for JC either way

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    edited June 2016
    First! (Like remain next time lol)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    Stick to your guns Jezza
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    But 40 is enough to get him on the ballot paper in a future leadership election
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Kay Burley@KayBurley 9m9 minutes ago

BREAK: President of European council, Tusk, tells Sturgeon he's not interested in meeting her tomorrow
  • Options

:smiley:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Not a great result for Corbyn, but it changes nothing. He will not stand down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,948
    GIN1138 said:

:D Save Jez !
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016

Doesn't need 'em. He's there by virtue of being the incumbent...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    OK we've now identified another 176 Tories. Cameron's majority overwhelming.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2016
    81% of the Labour MPs who voted have no confidence in Jermey Corbyn.

Or to put it another way, enough MPs to form a new party..!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656

0 is enough, according to legal advice. However, the 44 could all nominate another Corbynite.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Damn - that's my £3 down the plug hole then...
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    Anyone think Corbyn to be re-elected and a re-run of all this in 9 months time? Like Groundhog Day .. but 9 months at a time..
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

BREAK: President of European council, Tusk, tells Sturgeon he's not interested in meeting her tomorrow

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The eurocrats can't snub lovely Nicola like this! :(
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

She'll have to get that there independence first...

So will Khan ;)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,274

"And its 5 more MPs than supported me on the day that nominations closed last time. So there, MORE support me."
  • Options
    Amongst all the panic and recriminations here, can someone explain the difference between EEA and EFTA particularily in terms of:

* Ability to agree bilateral trade deals with non EU states

* Freedom of movement of people.

* Annual membership fee.

* Obligation for domestic sales to have CE marking/follow single market related EU directives.

* CAP / CF policy.

Thanks
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2016
    BBC say 44...plenty to carry on.
  • Options
    Serwotka backing Corbyn to the hilt...
  • Options

81% of the Labour MPs who voted have no confidence in Jermey Corbyn.

Or to put it another way, enough MPs to form a new party..!

What is different from the day he was elected leader?
  • Options

0 is enough, according to legal advice. However, the 44 could all nominate another Corbynite.
    They could nominate McDonnell.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

4 abstentions. 40 is the number
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Anyone think Corbyn to be re-elected and a re-run of all this in 9 months time? Like Groundhog Day .. but 9 months at a time..

We don't know what's going to happen in the next 9 minutes nevermind the next 9 months! ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,996
    If the 172 formed a new party they'd become the Official Opposition. Corbyn-Labour would become the 4th party, behind the SNP.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    FPT:

Amongst all the panic and recriminations here, can someone explain the difference between EEA and EFTA particularily in terms of:

* Annual membership fee.

* Obligation for domestic sales to have CE marking/follow single market related EU directives.

* CAP / CF policy.

Thanks

You can be a member of EFTA and not the EEA (like Switzerland), but most people use EFTA/EEA to mean membership of the EEA through EFTA.

- yes

- yes, albeit with more freedom for a state to impose emergency restrictions, and some more flexibiity re benefits and the like.

* Annual membership fee.
    EFTA/EEA *probably* costs slightly more than straight EFTA. (Hard to know exactly because the Swiss hide part of their fee by allowing the EU to collect customs duties on their behalf.)

The exact bill is up for negotiation, but would be in the range of £2bn at the low-end to £5bn at the high end. (The high estimate includes a bunch of projects that are not compulsory.)

Neither has that.

* CAP / CF policy.
    CAP is easy-peasy, we'd be out.
    CFP is a bit more complicated because the most sensible long-term solution is to recreate the 'box' with Ireland. We'd definitely leave it, but there's probably a long-term negotiation there needed.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Not a great result for Corbyn...

Wonderful English understatement!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

4 abstentions. 40 is the number
    4 spoiled ballots apparently ?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    He needs 50 to get on the ballot...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016
    Labour can't even communicate the result accurately to the two biggest news channels in the country. BBC and Sky are giving different figures.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

:D Save Jez !
    https://twitter.com/HeartThamesNews/status/747814147065262080
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    I find it very difficult to see how either McDonnell or Watson won't be the next leader, whenever that is.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    TGOHF said:

Have a look at that photo of the queen over at Guidos - Nicola has no chance
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    She'll have to get that there independence first...

Tusk is the bitter rival of the Polish PM.

If the FT is correct, Team Eastern Europe is very unhappy about Britain leaving.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Wasn't it 35 ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, is that unhappy as in angry with us, or sad (and perhaps angry with EU bigwigs)?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Wasn't it 35 ?
    It's 20% for a challenge, including MEPs - 229+20 = 249. I think he'd struggle to get 50.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    @Morris_Dancer

London ALREADY IS devolved. We have been through this before. Khan is simply asking for extra powers, most of which I'll be will be centred around FOM and City passporting.

It has sod all to do with an English Parliament or a Yorkshire Parliament and everything to do with England taking leave of its senses and trying to pull the jewel in the EU's crown out of the EU against its wishes.
  • Options

If the 172 formed a new party they'd become the Official Opposition. Corbyn-Labour would become the 4th party, behind the SNP.

Now a quite probable outcome.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TGOHF said:

I thought that was very amusing - let's hope she hasn't booked her ticket.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Mr. Taffys, is that unhappy as in angry with us, or sad (and perhaps angry with EU bigwigs)''

Very unhappy with EU bigwigs. They want Juncker's head on a stick.
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, to a small degree.

You're right, though, to highlight the extent of increased powers does matter.
  • Options
    To answer Nick Palmer FPT:

I'm on record as saying that the biggest risk I foresaw from Brexit was the calibre of the UK politicians. They haven't failed to disappoint.

I want May for leader, Boris just doesn't have the gravitas. On the other hand, I think the Tories could probably elect Fanny the Wonder Dog and still beat a Corbyn-led Labour Party.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Paul Mason has taken it well:

Paul Mason ‏@paulmasonnews 3m3 minutes ago London, England
    172 MPs signal they want Labour to go back to being a party of financial oligarchy and war
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited June 2016
    stjohn said:
    Supposedly he's on the ballot automatically as the reigning leader...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Wasn't it 35 ?
    He needs nothing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Wasn't it 35 ?
    It's 20% for a challenge, including MEPs - 229+20 = 249. I think he'd struggle to get 50.

But it's only higher at 20% because the presumption is the existing leader is automatically on it.

• Options
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 3m3 minutes ago

Confirmed result from labour no confidence motion

172 for
    40 against
    4 spoilt ballots
    13 didn't vote
  • Options
    Some members of Corbo's new shadow cabinet did not vote...
  • Options
    eek said:

stjohn said:
    That is my understanding also - automatically on the list.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Wasn't it 35 ?
    The rule book states that "nominations may be sought by potential challengers" and "any nomination must be supported by 20%" of MPs. Rule book doesn't say anything about the incumbent needing any nominations.
  • Options

eek said:

stjohn said:
    Go Jez :D
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Jobabob said:

@Morris_Dancer

London ALREADY IS devolved. We have been through this before. Khan is simply asking for extra powers, most of which I'll be will be centred around FOM and City passporting.

It has sod all to do with an English Parliament or a Yorkshire Parliament and everything to do with England taking leave of its senses and trying to pull the jewel in the EU's crown out of the EU against its wishes.

We voted as the whole UK in the referendum.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/139/590x/secondary/448598.jpg
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

172 for
    40 against
    4 spoilt ballots
    13 didn't vote

Be interesting to know who the prats are who spoiled their ballots
  • Options
    @benrileysmith: Two Labour sources: proposal is Angela Eagle runs against Corbyn while Tom Watson oversees as interim leader.
  • Options
    I bet the Labour MPs wish they had the Tory rules :p
  • Options
    @gmpolice: Three arrested in connection with a hate incident on a tram in Manchester City Centre. https://t.co/AbpygV4IOQ
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Scott_P said:

@benrileysmith: Two Labour sources: proposal is Angela Eagle runs against Corbyn while Tom Watson oversees as interim leader.

That's no good, I don't have a bet on her!
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    Scott_P said:

Seems odd. Eagle would never win amongst the members.
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, cheers for the clarification.

Mr. Bob, maybe. I suspect the emotional pull of being Labour will make them try and axe Corbyn rather than jump ship and form the Judean People's Front.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the Labour Party rules? Not sure incumbency gets him on the ballot and I think he may need 50 nominations to do so. He could be toast here.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for Corbyn to be supported by TP & Plato on the grounds that he supported Leave really. One of them has been busy hacking away today at the traitorous Ruth Davidson - you know the one who saved the Scottish Tories a few weeks ago. The Brexiters take no prisoners :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Cobblers. Corbyn is still the effin' Leader...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@gmpolice: Three arrested in connection with a hate incident on a tram in Manchester City Centre. https://t.co/AbpygV4IOQ

Right, now flog 'em, thereby satisfying all parties across the political spectrum.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

* Annual membership fee.

* CAP / CF policy.

Thanks

You can be a member of EFTA and not the EEA (like Switzerland), but most people use EFTA/EEA to mean membership of the EEA through EFTA.

- yes

- yes, albeit with more freedom for a state to impose emergency restrictions, and some more flexibiity re benefits and the like.

* Annual membership fee.
    EFTA/EEA *probably* costs slightly more than straight EFTA. (Hard to know exactly because the Swiss hide part of their fee by allowing the EU to collect customs duties on their behalf.)

The exact bill is up for negotiation, but would be in the range of £2bn at the low-end to £5bn at the high end. (The high estimate includes a bunch of projects that are not compulsory.)

Neither has that.

* CAP / CF policy.
    CFP is a bit more complicated because the most sensible long-term solution is to recreate the 'box' with Ireland. We'd definitely leave it, but there's probably a long-term negotiation there needed.
    Just to add, re CE marking on electronics - while domestic sales would not require it, the truth is that the vast, vast bulk of products in the world are made to meet CE, FCC, NOM and RCM already. When I was involved in my solar battery project, we decided it was massively cheaper to have a single production line and design, even if it cost 0.8% of gross margin in adhering to all the standards.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Wasn't it 35 ?
    It will be very, very tight.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Does anyone know the Labour Party rules? Not sure incumbency gets him on the ballot and I think he may need 50 nominations to do so. He could be toast here.

Don't the NEC interpret the rules, and isn't that stuffed with Jez placemen ?
  • Options
    Angela Rayner MP says Corbyn can survive this.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2016
    Meh
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It didn't happen. It couldn't have happened. A vile 'Remainian' rumour.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @GuardianAnushka: Corbyn: "Our people need Labour party members, trade unionists and MPs to unite behind my leadership at a critical time for our country."

@GuardianAnushka: Corbyn defiant: "I was democratically elected leader of our party for a new kind of politics by 60% of Labour members and supporters...

@GuardianAnushka: Corbyn: "I will not betray them by resigning."
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I quoted the rule book earlier. Any challenger needs 20% of MPs (46). The incumbent doesn't need nominations, they are incumbent.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuardianAnushka: Corbyn: "Our people need Labour party members, trade unionists and MPs to unite behind my leadership at a critical time for our country."

Yes!!!!!!! Jezza's going nowhere! ;)
  • Options
    felix said:

I'm waiting for Corbyn to be supported by TP & Plato on the grounds that he supported Leave really. One of them has been busy hacking away today at the traitorous Ruth Davidson - you know the one who saved the Scottish Tories a few weeks ago. The Brexiters take no prisoners :)

If Corbyn still has the support of the membership, he's essentially politically immortal. They should rename him God-King of the Opposition.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'm not sure Angela Eagle is leadership material.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2016
    "Diane Abbott: leadership must be decided by party members not MPs"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/28/diane-abbott-leadership-must-be-decided-by-party-members-not-mps

It looks like the Labour Party is also suffering hysteria and maybe ought to hold a referendum too.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    felix said:

TGOHF said:

She's going to see Martin Schulz.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

eek said:

stjohn said:
    The Labour Party have one set of legal advice. The leadership have another.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuardianAnushka: Corbyn defiant: "I was democratically elected leader of our party for a new kind of politics by 60% of Labour members and supporters...

@GuardianAnushka: Corbyn: "I will not betray them by resigning."

Yes!!!!!!! Jezza's going nowhere! ;)

• Options
    Mr. JS, Corbyn can survive. Not sure about Labour, though.

More seriously, Rome staggered on for quite some time before the coup de grace was finally delivered.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

felix said:

TGOHF said:

The Belgian PM as well, or so I heard this morning.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

This sort of thing never happened before last Thursday.

There was less dog poo on the streets before the referendum too.
    Have you noticed that as well?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Voting for him in this vote of confidence also doesn't mean they'd nominate him. A few are probably those Labour MPs who just don't feel like this is the right time when the country is in its current state.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

Seems odd. Eagle would never win amongst the members.
    I've no idea how Eagle would fare with the Labour membership but Nick P doesn't rate her chances or Watson's against Corbyn but thinks Cooper would make a contest of it.

It would be crazy of the Labour PLP to go this far and then not field the candidate who has the best chance of beating Corbyn with Labour members. I don't know who that would be but the PLP ought to have a good idea and should get that person to stand.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

felix said:

TGOHF said:

That'll be nice for her...
  • Options
    I hope the 172 get deselected.

Kick their ass Jeremy.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Anushka Asthana - Corbyn refuses to resign, saying no confidence vote has 'no constitutional legitimacy'

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

so the video was staged?
  • Options

eek said:

stjohn said:
    The Labour Party have one set of legal advice. The leadership have another.
    Both have the rule book. Its explicit and absolute*

*As any party official will tell you it is usually neither. However in this case the rule book is very clear
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

* Annual membership fee.

* CAP / CF policy.

Thanks

- yes

* Annual membership fee.

Neither has that.

* CAP / CF policy.
    Either looks like a no brainer.

We didnt have a referendum on leaving the single market, so gov can legitimately agree this.

Re Immigration. Looks like the extra powers, while something of a figleaf are enough for May to get away with it without another plebiscite.

So Tories get the free trade, no more ECJ crap and a bit more control on immigration.

Labour supporters dont get a massive clampdown on immigration and will defect to UKIP shafting labour but tough, govt never offered an immigration referendum. Win win for Tories.

Labour should have used this moment to unite and destroy the tories forcing an early election, instead they behave like something out of monty python and May can choose her moment after joining EFTA and getting some trade deals with Labour in Chaos and UKIP on their case in the north.

Many thanks Robert
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Jobabob said:

@Morris_Dancer

London is not a state. It cannot therefore enter international treaties independently of the UK. Ditto Scotland. Sturgeon is talking nonsense.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure Angela Eagle is leadership material.
    I completely agree - she'd be utterly useless.

Which is why I voted for her in the YouGov poll of potential successors.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TGOHF said:

172 for
    40 against
    4 spoilt ballots
    13 didn't vote

I'd like to see those spoilt ballots!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The eurocrats can't snub lovely Nicola like this! :(
    They see Scotland as a region of the U.K not a country.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    16.54 Corbyn refuses to stand down, saying “I will not betray members by resigning”
  • Options
    eek said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

so the video was staged?
    Felix likes pretend arguments. Young men being arseholes apparently unknown in the UK before June 23rd.

Look for a new pretendy Felix argument coming to a site near you soon!
  • Options
    The real question I guess is whether places like Poland and RoI also switch to EFTA once we join.
  • Options
    BBC — Boris won't call general election if he becomes Tory leader.
This discussion has been closed.