Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Big moves in the referendum betting – follow the changes LI

Comments

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited June 2016
    TudorRose said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

You have to hand it to the BBC- featuring Farage claiming that Cameron is exploiting the Jo Cox murder, Warsi discussing the Farage poster, Branson, the Cox tributes, the stock market bouncing back. The establishment is a tough beast to fell.

To think I was genuinely worried last week that Leave had the momentum. They never stood a chance.

Thankfully, the Euro debate can be kicked to the sidelines for a generation, and slime balls like Gove and Patel will be put to the sword.

What if you lose?
    I think now that outcome is quite unthinkable. Even Southam hasn't been on here the last 5 minutes telling us leave will win and he was right all along. Something is up.
    But less than a week ago you were convinced that Leave would win and that civilisation was about to collapse. The fact is that we won't really know until about 4am on Friday morning. Everything else is just speculation and 'polling'.
    "8 Days a week doesn't make."

My favourite line from Neil Simon's sublime Barefoot in the Park
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Another common one is Ireland. A Remainer I know was under the illusion that if we voted to leave the EU, his Irish fiance would no longer be eligible to live in England. I'm fairly certain the UK and Ireland have had a passport union since 1922....

I though the official Leave policy - which I disagree with - is to also leave the Common Travel Area.
    Robert there is so much you seem to disagree with about the VoteLeave campaign I am surprised you didn't make a pitch to be the official one yourself.
    If Rob was running the vote leave campaign I think it would be very much like mine or Richard Tyndall's, in which case we would have gone down in flames with an honourable 30% concentrating on non-EU trade and independence from the ECJ. Like it or not, immigration is the argument that brings in the masses and having seen how dirty the Remain side have fought, especially since the death of the MP, having one side fight the honourable fight while Osborne stabs the other in the back isn't something I'd be on board with.
    Is there any Brexit scenario for the next 10-20 years of British history that you would regard as worse than remaining in the EU?
    No. We don't belong in the EU. Either we are sidelined as the EMU federalises and turns into a single country, or we are forced into it by a series of court and QMV losses. I fully expect that the EC will propose anti-referendum legislation after the vote, something along the lines of single market suspension while the campaign takes place, just enough to put nations off ever having a referendum, but not enough to cause protests and condemnation which would force them to reverse it.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

You have to hand it to the BBC- featuring Farage claiming that Cameron is exploiting the Jo Cox murder, Warsi discussing the Farage poster, Branson, the Cox tributes, the stock market bouncing back. The establishment is a tough beast to fell.

To think I was genuinely worried last week that Leave had the momentum. They never stood a chance.

Thankfully, the Euro debate can be kicked to the sidelines for a generation, and slime balls like Gove and Patel will be put to the sword.

What if you lose?
    I think now that outcome is quite unthinkable. Even Southam hasn't been on here the last 5 minutes telling us leave will win and he was right all along. Something is up.

I've been in a meeting. Planning for Brexit. Leave will win. It's a shame - our European growth matched our Asian growth last FY, it turns out, and beat our US growth (though US is by far our biggest market). Looks like we will be downgrading London and building in HK and DC, and perhaps getting ourselves a hedge office in Barcelona so that we stay inside the single market.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

Even the Sainted Kate today on DP acknowledged the connections between the Leavers.

No shit

@GerryHassan: Labour MP Kate Hoey & Nigel Farage earlier today on the Thames campaigning for #Brexit. #EUref https://t.co/DL39o0j2BZ
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Remain showing there are no depths to which they'd not plumb:

Will Straw Ordered Remain to Attack Vote Leave Over Jo Cox Death - recording

http://order-order.com/2016/06/20/will-straw/

What Straw said hardly supports the headline:

We need to recognise that people have been pulled up short by Jo Cox’s death and it is now time to make a very positive case for why we want to be in the European Union… to call out the other side for what they have done to stir division and resentment in the UK. That is something we must all do… This is what we think is the closing argument of the campaign, reflecting all the arguments that we have been setting out for many months but also the new context that we’re in. What we want to say is people should vote Remain on Thursday for more jobs, lower prices, workers’ rights, stronger public services and a decent, tolerant United Kingdom.”
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    tyson said:

marke09 said:

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Sky sources: Ched Evans to sign for Chesterfield later today. #SSNHQ

Bloody hell.....all that effect, that campaign, the outrage, the national debate to play for........Chesterfield Rovers.
    Who?? You mean Chesterfield FC, of the third tier, and one of the oldest football clubs in the world?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Tyson, if remain win on the back of a dead MP, it won't settle the argument. If remain had won on the merits of its arguments, overblown though they are, then I think a lot of people would have let sleeping dogs lie for a long time. Now that it was a black swan event that has seemingly swung it back in favour of remain, I don't see how it will result in any kind of real settling of the issue, it will just fester on and when next year's net migration figures show 350k people have arrived in the country with the vast majority from the EU, it will all flare up again, and again, and again. Like it or not, around half of the country are not comfortable with high levels of migration, especially no unskilled migration from the EU, a remain vote won without winning that argument will not last very long.
    If remain win it will not be possible to prove what it was that swayed people - I severely doubt hundreds of thousands of swing voters will say it was because of the late Jo Cox. In which case speculating that is the reason is pointless, and an excuse - apparently data was moving back to Remain anyway, which makes sense as there was a massive swing to leave which was likely to get some pushback.

Remain winning by a small margin won't settle it no matter if everyone who votes Remain swears on the bible it was for clear and concise reasons of substance. The only that that will settle it is an unexpected massive win for Remain, since that would show the public is not as completely divided as it appears.

I don't believe for a single second if Remain had done everything Leave wanted - Cameron taking a back seat, no dodgy stats, no dodgy mail pouts, no black swan events - and Remain still won, that people would have let it lie, if it was close. Remain don't really have a choice - if they lose, their chances to fight on are slim - but Leavers know we will have other chances, even if it takes a long time.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tyson

'Thankfully, the Euro debate can be kicked to the sidelines for a generation, and slime balls like Gove and Patel will be put to the sword.'

Dream on.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Tyson, if remain win on the back of a dead MP, it won't settle the argument. If remain had won on the merits of its arguments, overblown though they are, then I think a lot of people would have let sleeping dogs lie for a long time. Now that it was a black swan event that has seemingly swung it back in favour of remain, I don't see how it will result in any kind of real settling of the issue, it will just fester on and when next year's net migration figures show 350k people have arrived in the country with the vast majority from the EU, it will all flare up again, and again, and again. Like it or not, around half of the country are not comfortable with high levels of migration, especially no unskilled migration from the EU, a remain vote won without winning that argument will not last very long.
    A 55% vote share would have led to a vast 'Tory' majority in the HoC, but that's the only world I can think of in which 55% and vast majority would go together.
    270k arrivals from the EU and 155k arrivals from outside the EU. Using the net figure makes no sense when working out the proportions.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,726
    MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Apparently the polls were moving in Remain's direction before the tragic death of Jo Cox. I can't find the quote from a pollster but others must have seen that.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

What if you lose?

I've been in a meeting. Planning for Brexit. Leave will win. It's a shame - our European growth matched our Asian growth last FY, it turns out, and beat our US growth (though US is by far our biggest market). Looks like we will be downgrading London and building in HK and DC, and perhaps getting ourselves a hedge office in Barcelona so that we stay inside the single market.

I'm assuming that's tongue-in-cheek? Or has group-think got the better of you all?!
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited June 2016

taffys said:

''We all get it wrong from time to time but I do get it right more than wrong and I am sure you can see the logic in today's financial moves ''

Sure I'll take my cue from you. After a thirty year career as a bond trader and professional financial journalist, what do I know, after all.

I thought we didn't listen to experts !
    The rally in the stock market is a bear squeeze. All it signifies is the existence of speculative short positions. When the shorts run for cover they have to buy. It does not signify anything more than that, one way or the other. There is nothing 'in the air'.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

marke09 said:

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Sky sources: Ched Evans to sign for Chesterfield later today. #SSNHQ

Bloody hell.....all that effect, that campaign, the outrage, the national debate to play for........Chesterfield Rovers.
    But at least SKY will be desperately torn in its coverage - Cox or Evans? Cox or Evans? Cox or Evans?? *sounds off as heads explode....*
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Apparently the polls were moving in Remain's direction before the tragic death of Jo Cox. I can't find the quote from a pollster but others must have seen that.
    They weren't, both the polls taken over the time of the event showed a large leave lead before and level pegging after. I still think leave has a good chance, better than the 25% implied by betfair, but remain is surely the favourite now.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,912

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

What if you lose?

Remain will win (narrowly).
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

The BBC online front page actually more balanced then the skynews one both today and tommorow.

Oh well I guess we can't win when the government's line is for ever closer union, which will happen now.

I rather see a Jeremy Corbyn government then a europhile Tory one. Wont be voting until we have a Tory party that is led by an outer.
  • Options
    @tamcohen: David Cameron's former speechwriter argues that leaving the EU will not cut immigration - worth a read https://t.co/VAht5p94FQ
  • Options

Disgraceful.
    We all know that Remain are GAGGING to use Jo Cox's death to smear Leave. At least Will Straw has the decency to admit it....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

They weren't, both the polls taken over the time of the event showed a large leave lead before and level pegging after. I still think leave has a good chance, better than the 25% implied by betfair, but remain is surely the favourite now.
    I'm not sure. Survation had Leave 3% ahead, and then Remain 3% ahead. That could be a reaction to the murder, or just normal variation. Yougov had Leave 2% ahead, and then Remain 1% ahead.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

A 55% vote share would have led to a vast 'Tory' majority in the HoC, but that's the only world I can think of in which 55% and vast majority would go together.
    270k arrivals from the EU and 155k arrivals from outside the EU. Using the net figure makes no sense when working out the proportions.
    Even with your trying to pick out a lesser used stat, 270k / 425k still does not a vast majority make.
  • Options

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

What if you lose?

I'm assuming that's tongue-in-cheek? Or has group-think got the better of you all?!
    Southam Observer has always thought Leave would win.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

What if you lose?

Remain will win (narrowly).
    The most entertaining result will be Remain win but England votes to Leave.... We might at least get an English Parliament out of that. Or else England votes to expel Scotland from the Union!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

I'm not sure. Survation had Leave 3% ahead, and then Remain 3% ahead. That could be a reaction to the murder, or just normal variation. Yougov had Leave 2% ahead, and then Remain 1% ahead.
    I expect the polls will show a further swing to Remain tonight.

But, I then expect a convergence as that is reported. Brits do not want a clear Remain win, and nor do I think they will vote on a massively ramped-up sentimental reaction, a hand which Remain are shamelessly overplaying at the moment.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

The probability implied by Betfair is several percent higher than 25% because the value of the betting token is affected by the outcome. If you think the probability of Leave is (just over) 25%, betting on Leave at 25% would be a horrible deal, because a losing bet costs you what would have been increased-value Remainian pounds, whereas a winning bet pays in devalued Brexit pounds.

This is probably why USD-denominated markets have Leave several points higher.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If remain win it will not be possible to prove what it was that swayed people - I severely doubt hundreds of thousands of swing voters will say it was because of the late Jo Cox. In which case speculating that is the reason is pointless, and an excuse - apparently data was moving back to Remain anyway, which makes sense as there was a massive swing to leave which was likely to get some pushback.

Remain winning by a small margin won't settle it no matter if everyone who votes Remain swears on the bible it was for clear and concise reasons of substance. The only that that will settle it is an unexpected massive win for Remain, since that would show the public is not as completely divided as it appears.

I don't believe for a single second if Remain had done everything Leave wanted - Cameron taking a back seat, no dodgy stats, no dodgy mail pouts, no black swan events - and Remain still won, that people would have let it lie, if it was close. Remain don't really have a choice - if they lose, their chances to fight on are slim - but Leavers know we will have other chances, even if it takes a long time.

As I said, even if it was a somewhat fair win, not on the back of a dead MP and an odd week of national mourning for her, then I think most people would have accepted it and moved on. I probably would have. A small loss a week after some nationalist nutter kills an MP and then seeing the remain side exploit it over and over, while pretending not to, makes me want to keep going because I know the argument can be won, it was lost to a black swan rather than the failure of the arguments to leave.
  • Options
    TW1R64 said:
    If the UK is doomed to become Guernsey outside the EU, then poor Switzerland must be doomed to become Sark.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,057
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Another common one is Ireland. A Remainer I know was under the illusion that if we voted to leave the EU, his Irish fiance would no longer be eligible to live in England. I'm fairly certain the UK and Ireland have had a passport union since 1922....

I though the official Leave policy - which I disagree with - is to also leave the Common Travel Area.
    Robert there is so much you seem to disagree with about the VoteLeave campaign I am surprised you didn't make a pitch to be the official one yourself.
    If Rob was running the vote leave campaign I think it would be very much like mine or Richard Tyndall's, in which case we would have gone down in flames with an honourable 30% concentrating on non-EU trade and independence from the ECJ. Like it or not, immigration is the argument that brings in the masses and having seen how dirty the Remain side have fought, especially since the death of the MP, having one side fight the honourable fight while Osborne stabs the other in the back isn't something I'd be on board with.
    Is there any Brexit scenario for the next 10-20 years of British history that you would regard as worse than remaining in the EU?
    No. We don't belong in the EU. Either we are sidelined as the EMU federalises and turns into a single country, or we are forced into it by a series of court and QMV losses. I fully expect that the EC will propose anti-referendum legislation after the vote, something along the lines of single market suspension while the campaign takes place, just enough to put nations off ever having a referendum, but not enough to cause protests and condemnation which would force them to reverse it.
    I don't see how they can propose anti-referendum legislation. (Not to say it won't be discussed, but I can't see how the treaties could be stretched to cover it.)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

especially no unskilled migration from the EU, a remain vote won without winning that argument will not last very long.

But, I then expect a convergence as that is reported. Brits do not want a clear Remain win, and nor do I think they will vote on a massively ramped-up sentimental reaction, a hand which Remain are shamelessly overplaying at the moment.
    Given the changes in polling methodologies, we have continually been comparing apples with Toyota headlights. I always expected them to herd around a narrow Remain win. I still expect many to do that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Is there any Brexit scenario for the next 10-20 years of British history that you would regard as worse than remaining in the EU?.
    Yes. Any price is not worth it, not when there will be other chances. But judging the price is not easy, and done on gut.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't see how they can propose anti-referendum legislation. (Not to say it won't be discussed, but I can't see how the treaties could be stretched to cover it.)
    QE shouldn't have been possible under the treaties, yet the ECJ gave it the go ahead. EU treaties can be ignored whenever necessary. They only seem to apply when it suits them.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''We all know that Remain are GAGGING to use Jo Cox's death to smear Leave. At least Will Straw has the decency to admit it....''

Remain advocates think all leave supporters are racists. No ifs no buts. Racists.
  • Options
    @GuardianAnushka: Corbyn calls murder of Jo Cox an act of extreme political violence.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

@GuardianAnushka: Corbyn calls murder of Jo Cox an act of extreme political violence.

Did Gerry Adams give him that line ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Scott_P said:

Is that not sub judice (just like this post)?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    One of the findings from the latest and final Ashcroft focus groups.

The Totnes Question – how will you feel if you wake up next Friday and the country has voted for Brexit – turned out to be a revealing one for our wavering voters. More often than not, it was a sobering thought: “Nervous”, “anxious”, “apprehensive”, even “alone”; “I just wonder what is going to happen next. If that does happen there will be five or six years of change.”

But some said their apprehension would be tinged with excitement, and even surprised themselves with their answer to the opposite question – how they would feel on hearing Remain had won? “I’ve just realised I would be disappointed. And before that I had no idea what I was going to do;” “I’d be a bit more anxious. Part of me thinks we’d be better outside. I find a new challenge quite exciting. If we hadn’t got that, I’d think, ‘have we made a mistake?’ ”

See

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/lord-ashcroft-my-final-eu-referendum-focus-groups-i-cant-make-my-mind-up-its-a-lot-of-responsibility-and-i-really-want-to-get-it-right.html
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Postal votes are in the bag. :)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    edited June 2016

Disgraceful.
    There’s not a lot to choose between the sides, is there? It’s been, and will probably keep on being a squalid debate, started for purely partisan reasons.

Still voting Remain, though!
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    "The black swan theory or theory of black swan events is a metaphor that describes an event that comes as a surprise, has a major effect, and is often inappropriately rationalized after the fact with the benefit of hindsight".

Sounds about right.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

As I said, even if it was a somewhat fair win, not on the back of a dead MP and an odd week of national mourning for her, then I think most people would have accepted it and moved on. I probably would have. A small loss a week after some nationalist nutter kills an MP and then seeing the remain side exploit it over and over, while pretending not to, makes me want to keep going because I know the argument can be won, it was lost to a black swan rather than the failure of the arguments to leave.
    You seem to have missed my opening - we may disagree on whether after a 'fair' win people would have accepted it. My principal point, however, is we cannot know why people vote a certain way or not. Leave and Remain can pitch to the heavens on their points of preference, but people will vote for their own reasons. ANd sometimes pretty stupid ones. And even if people are using poor Cox as a political tool, if Remain win we cannot know, know for certain, that that is what swing it, particularly since the data was heading back to remain anyway

It remains, ha, an excuse. How many time were Tories on here told that just because they won a majority does not mean everyone who voted for them supported everything that was in their manifesto for example? Plenty, and it's true. Unless people come out and say 'I did this for Jo' we don't know if it had an effect - and I will bet good money when Leave win there will be plenty of people saying it had no effect after all - and it is an excuse to use that as a presumption for further grievance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

@GuardianAnushka: ***** ******* *********** ******** ************ ___.///////__________

Corbyn's original remarks covered by parliamentary privilege I think.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

The probability implied by Betfair is several percent higher than 25% because the value of the betting token is affected by the outcome. If you think the probability of Leave is (just over) 25%, betting on Leave at 25% would be a horrible deal, because a losing bet costs you what would have been increased-value Remainian pounds, whereas a winning bet pays in devalued Brexit pounds.

Unless you live in England, in which case the pound in your pocket is worth no more and no less than it was before...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Unless you live in England, in which case the pound in your pocket is worth no more and no less than it was before...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IHVQU9BSks
  • Options

Postal votes are in the bag. :)

or in the post .....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Presumably not if the Speaker has allowed it - and anyone can report the events of parliament without fear of the sanction providing that it's done accurately.
  • Options
    Bloody hell Southam. I hadn't heard from you calling a Brexit for a couple of hours...I was getting really worried and going to call the Police and report you as a missing person.

Still normal service resumed.

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

What if you lose?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Only way out is through a UK Government led exit negotiation, which means things getting so bad they win a GE on that basis through a manifesto commitment, IMHO.
  • Options

One of the findings from the latest and final Ashcroft focus groups.

The Totnes Question – how will you feel if you wake up next Friday and the country has voted for Brexit – turned out to be a revealing one for our wavering voters. More often than not, it was a sobering thought: “Nervous”, “anxious”, “apprehensive”, even “alone”; “I just wonder what is going to happen next. If that does happen there will be five or six years of change.”

But some said their apprehension would be tinged with excitement, and even surprised themselves with their answer to the opposite question – how they would feel on hearing Remain had won? “I’ve just realised I would be disappointed. And before that I had no idea what I was going to do;” “I’d be a bit more anxious. Part of me thinks we’d be better outside. I find a new challenge quite exciting. If we hadn’t got that, I’d think, ‘have we made a mistake?’ ”

See

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/lord-ashcroft-my-final-eu-referendum-focus-groups-i-cant-make-my-mind-up-its-a-lot-of-responsibility-and-i-really-want-to-get-it-right.html

That was all pre-murder though
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,772
    taffys said:

''We all know that Remain are GAGGING to use Jo Cox's death to smear Leave. At least Will Straw has the decency to admit it....''

Remain advocates think all leave supporters are racists. No ifs no buts. Racists.

Some might do; some might be. Your comment is as sweeping as the one you are objecting to.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,982

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

None. Remaining in the EU is worse than any possible reasonable projection of our future outside.

In fact I do believe that we are going to be forced out at some point in the next decade or so because our vision of a future EU is so fundamentally different from both the vision of the rest of the EU and, far more importantly, what is actualy going to have to happen for them to survive.

The big difference being we could have left now with relatively little shock or we can be forced out in the future with a huge shock and probably a lot more harm to our country politically and financially before it happens.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

You seem to have missed my opening - we may disagree on whether after a 'fair' win people would have accepted it. My principal point, however, is we cannot know why people vote a certain way or not. Leave and Remain can pitch to the heavens on their points of preference, but people will vote for their own reasons. ANd sometimes pretty stupid ones. And even if people are using poor Cox as a political tool, if Remain win we cannot know, know for certain, that that is what swing it, particularly since the data was heading back to remain anyway

It remains, ha, an excuse. How many time were Tories on here told that just because they won a majority does not mean everyone who voted for them supported everything that was in their manifesto for example? Plenty, and it's true. Unless people come out and say 'I did this for Jo' we don't know if it had an effect - and I will bet good money when Leave win there will be plenty of people saying it had no effect after all - and it is an excuse to use that as a presumption for further grievance.
    I can't help but think that people who are voting "Remain for Jo" would have done so anyway.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836

TW1R64 said:
    If the UK is doomed to become Guernsey outside the EU, then poor Switzerland must be doomed to become Sark.....
    Still, at least we'll all be closer to the seaside.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    Antanas Guoga, a Lithuanian MEP better known as the former poker champion “Tony G,” challenged Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage to a €1 million bet Monday on the outcome of the U.K.’s EU referendum.

Guoga, a multi-millionaire from his poker-playing days and his subsequent online poker empire, has seized on a recent Farage stunt of betting £1,000 on Brexit, and is upping the stakes a thousand-fold.

http://www.politico.eu/article/nigel-farage-e1-million-bet-on-uk-referendum-brexit-antanas-guoga/
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    @Tyson

Southam has a long and distinguished track record of making entirely wrong predictions based upon what he least wants to happen. In other words, he's a pessimist punter.

Examine the following Southam predictions:

US Presidential election 2012
    Romney victory

European elections 2014
    Labour pushed into third place*

Scottish Independence Referendum 2014
    Yes victory

*He is, however, a gentleman and a scholar, and immediately paid £20 to my favourite charity Amnesty having lost a bet with me on this
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    tyson said:

Bloody hell Southam. I hadn't heard from you calling a Brexit for a couple of hours...I was getting really worried and going to call the Police and report you as a missing person.

Still normal service resumed.

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

What if you lose?

As ever, I hope to be wrong. But best to plan.

It's never a good idea to take voters for granted.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Antanas Guoga, a Lithuanian MEP better known as the former poker champion “Tony G,” challenged Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage to a €1 million bet Monday on the outcome of the U.K.’s EU referendum.

Guoga, a multi-millionaire from his poker-playing days and his subsequent online poker empire, has seized on a recent Farage stunt of betting £1,000 on Brexit, and is upping the stakes a thousand-fold.

http://www.politico.eu/article/nigel-farage-e1-million-bet-on-uk-referendum-brexit-antanas-guoga/

Never thought about how wealthy Farage is to be honest. Does he even have a mil to spare?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

QE shouldn't have been possible under the treaties, yet the ECJ gave it the go ahead. EU treaties can be ignored whenever necessary. They only seem to apply when it suits them.

Firstly, I'm not sure it's as simple as that. The treaties allow the ECB a lot of latitude in actions takes to achieve price stability and to ensure the "transmission of monetary policies". What was prohibited was monetary financing of deficits. Clearly, the ECB - in its daily business - will find itself owning government bonds from time to time (indeed, I doubt there's a central bank in the world that doesn't own some of its government's debt at any given moment). So, to be in breach of the treaties you have to say that the wholesale secondary purchase of government bonds - with the explicit purpose of changing the shape of the yield curve - is monetary financing. At most, it's a grey area.

Secondly, I don't think it's comparable. In the one case, the ECB is acting as an agent, and doing something that might or might not be allowed by treaties. In the other, it would be the EC/ECJ attempting to prevent national governments from doing something. I read the Lisbon Treaty, and I simply don't see where they would be able to get the power from. Which the ECJ continually seeks to interpret the treaties in the context of "ever closer union", they can only do that by using and twisting the words that are already there. I simply don't see how they could do that here. Indeed, Article 5 - on the Principe of Conferral - would seem to explicitly prevent it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

I don't believe for a single seconblack swan events - and Remain still won, that people would have let it lie, if it was close. Remain don't really have a choice - if they lose, their chances to fight on are slim - but Leavers know we will have other chances, even if it takes a long time.

As I said, even if it was a somewhve.

I can't help but think that people who are voting "Remain for Jo" would have done so anyway.
    Certainly a possibility - and another reason blaming the defeat directly on the event, and thus branding it unfair (on that basis at least, other reasons may lead people to think it unfair), is unreasonable. You could perhaps argue it impacted the national narrative, the mood music, and that may have swayed people, but how do you calculate that? Why is it unfair even if it does? NickPalmer told a story of someone who voted for him because they liked he was taller than his opponent, would that have made his victory unfair if he won by one vote?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

@Tyson

Southam has a long and distinguished track record of making entirely wrong predictions based upon what he least wants to happen. In other words, he's a pessimist punter.

Romney victory

European elections 2014

Yes victory

*He is, however, a gentleman and a scholar, and immediately paid £20 to my favourite charity Amnesty having lost a bet with me on this

Southam's recent record has been very good recently - Jeremy Corbyn; Spurs...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Casino_Royale

'Only way out is through a UK Government led exit negotiation, which means things getting so bad they win a GE on that basis through a manifesto commitment, IMHO.'

With a Brexit Tory leader and the EU rapidly backsliding on Cameron's pathetic deal,plus EU army and the rest of the garbage that won't take long.A good chance it will be in the 2020 manifesto.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

As I said, even if it was a somewhat fair win,

As far as i can tell, it has allowed voluble virtue-signalling on that basis from previously inclined Remainers on my timeline.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Tyson, if remain win on the back of a dead MP, it won't settle the argument. 350k people have arrived in the country with the vast majority from the EU, it will all flare up again, and again, and again. Like it or not, around half of the country are not comfortable with high levels of migration, especially no unskilled migration from the EU, a remain vote won without winning that argument will not last very long.

I want Remain to win - but by a tiny margin of a couple of thousand votes. A country split right down the middle. We'd stay in, for now, until the PM whether it's this one or the next, negotiates a better deal. In the meantime no Eurocrat could plausibly argue that Brits had clearly voted for more of the same.

Where that desire leaves my vote on Thursday I'm still not 100%. But as I instinctively want to stay in a better EU, and I'm scared of the risks of Leave, I think I have to vote Remain, on principle.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Only way out is through a UK Government led exit negotiation, which means things getting so bad they win a GE on that basis through a manifesto commitment, IMHO.
    To be honest, I think we need a government advocated Leave, because then the destination would be clear. Which would make for a much more honest and open discussion about the compromises and costs of every action.
  • Options
    Can I just ask how many leavers will never again vote ukip whilst Nigel Farrage is leader. I for one won't. Not even as a protest.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

TW1R64 said:
    Still, at least we'll all be closer to the seaside.
    Hmmm - but nearer to France....
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T and apropos nothing, I've discovered the largest cause of weight gain amongst the older generation.

Grandchildren
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Tyson, if remain win on the back of a dead MP, it won't settle the argument. 350k people have arrived in the country with the vast majority from the EU, it will all flare up again, and again, and again. Like it or not, around half of the country are not comfortable with high levels of migration, especially no unskilled migration from the EU, a remain vote won without winning that argument will not last very long.

I want Remain to win - but by a tiny margin of a couple of thousand votes. A country split right down the middle. We'd stay in, for now, until the PM whether it's this one or the next, negotiates a better deal. In the meantime no Eurocrat could plausibly argue that Brits had clearly voted for more of the same.

Where that desire leaves my vote on Thursday I'm still not 100%. But as I instinctively want to stay in a better EU, and I'm scared of the risks of Leave, I think I have to vote Remain, on principle.
    If that's your position, you should consider close examination of the final polls.

If they show a very clear Remain win, you may wish to tactically vote Leave.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    RobD said:

Never thought about how wealthy Farage is to be honest. Does he even have a mil to spare?
    I suspect from the little bit I know about him outside politics that he’s ‘comfortable’ but not more.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Kinnochio just can't resist in his 'tribute'...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    Blue_rog said:

O/T and apropos nothing, I've discovered the largest cause of weight gain amongst the older generation.

Grandchildren

Stop eating them then.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

@Tyson

Romney victory

European elections 2014

Yes victory

He called the 2015 general election correctly, too.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Casino_Royale

'Only way out is through a UK Government led exit negotiation, which means things getting so bad they win a GE on that basis through a manifesto commitment, IMHO.'

With a Brexit Tory leader and the EU rapidly backsliding on Cameron's pathetic deal,plus EU army and the rest of the garbage that won't take long.A good chance it will be in the 2020 manifesto.

It will be up to us to hold both to account.

I'm afraid there's nothing on here, or elsewhere, that gives me any confidence that lessons will be learnt.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    what time is the polling out today, and does anyone still think Leave can defy the odds?
  • Options

I've actually been logged in as Tony G on his own website once playing poker. He passed me his laptop whilst he went to do something else, rather shamefully I lost about a hundred quid for him D: !

He's a top chap though and a very nice man.

Here's a vid of him at the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1YOluDM3M

• Options
    FF43 said:

taffys said:

Some might do; some might be. Your comment is as sweeping as the one you are objecting to.

"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one"
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited June 2016

TW1R64 said:

One of my favourite places. No cars!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sark-the-channel-islands-hcbz9cgv5?shareToken=7a173692ea8d2d2523d867ed0bf9693e
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

As I said, even if it was a somewhat fair win,

As far as i can tell, it has allowed voluble virtue-signalling on that basis from previously inclined Remainers on my timeline.
    I haven't been on Facebook since Thursday morning. I'd only be sick into my hand.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

I've actually been logged in as Tony G on his own website once playing poker. He passed me his laptop whilst he went to do something else, rather shamefully I lost about a hundred quid for him D: !

He's a top chap though and a very nice man.

Here's a vid of him at the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1YOluDM3M

The game must change when other people know you're ultra successful.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Even if you agree with Harold Wilson on this point (ie you don't buy anything imported) you'd still be better off making the bet at the same odds on a USD-denominated market then changing your winnings back to pounds. Of course this doesn't work because the market has already priced this in, by demanding a premium on GPB-denominated Leave bets.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Can I just ask how many leavers will never again vote ukip whilst Nigel Farrage is leader. I for one won't. Not even as a protest.

It is highly unlikely I ever would, but it is a 100% certainty whilst Farage is leader.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

@Tyson

Romney victory

European elections 2014

Yes victory

We are clutching at straws!!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    nunu said:

Irrelevant for the referendum.
  • Options
    I think Leave have to do something very radical to win this now.

A big, safe, economic offer and pledge if they want to win over enough waverers to cross the line.

Also needs to be done in a way that HMG and EU can't immediately unpick.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Divvie,

"Stop eating them then."

LOL
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

A big, safe, economic offer and pledge if they want to win over enough waverers to cross the line.

what can they offer at this point?
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Stephen Kinnock in his tribute has just mentioned that BLOODY POSTER. THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST UNBELIEVABLE. THEIR TRIBALISM AND SANCTIMONIOUS ARROGANCE, JUST KNOWS NO BOUNDS. I'M DISGUSTED. IT'S NOT ABOUT THEM.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,726

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

How do you know what 'Brits' want?
    As Southam says "It's never a good idea to take voters for granted."
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Stephen Kinnock in his tribute has just mentioned that BLOODY POSTER. THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST UNBELIEVABLE. THEIR TRIBALISM AND SANCTIMONIOUS ARROGANCE, JUST KNOWS NO BOUNDS. I'M DISGUSTED. IT'S NOT ABOUT THEM.

Shift key stuck?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

@Tyson

Romney victory

European elections 2014

Yes victory

We are clutching at straws!!
    Both sides are :p

Who knows what the country really thinks. Even my polling models are as good as a blamange right now..
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

what can they offer at this point?
    You ask such difficult questions.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    There seems to be an awful lot of previously bullish outers lining up excuses for their upcoming loss. Have things really changed that much in a week?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

To be honest, I think we need a government advocated Leave, because then the destination would be clear. Which would make for a much more honest and open discussion about the compromises and costs of every action.
    The 2020 Conservative manifesto will be an interesting one.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

Well if Farage did intend sinking leave he could't have chosen a better poster to stand in front off. Both Sky and BBC leading with it and tying in the Warsi story and, knowing the media they will keep going on and on about it. Is this Farage's 'Ed Stone' moment

I am furious with Farage.
    There's a reason that two months ago we were saying Farage needed to be locked in a cellar for two months.

It's always me-me-fucking-me with him.....
    Nothing we can do about it mate.

I have a feeling this is going to be a looooong week.
    The wailing and gnashing of teeth re Farage would have a lot more credibility if Leave hadn't descended into a Farage-like campaign.

A couple of weeks ago when the Leave campaign was tanking they took a deliberate decision to refocus the campaign on exploiting anti-immigration feeling.

It may yet work, I think it's in the balance, but if Leave do now manage to win it won't be Britain's finest hour IMO.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Have things really changed that much in a week?

I don;t think they have. I doubt very much if the wave of Coxsteria in the HoC is mirrored in any way by the feeling in the country.

It is the establishment honouring one of its own.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

@Tyson

Romney victory

European elections 2014

Yes victory

I love Southam's unswerving self belief once he gets an idea into his head- one of pbCOM's redeeming features. He strikes me as the kind of chap you want around in a crisis, unlike me who flaps ever so slightly.
  • Options
    Numbers don't lie:

Episode one (May 29): 4.3million viewers; 21% audience share
    Episode two (June 5): 2.8million viewers; 14% audience share
    Episode three (June 12): 2.4million viewers; 10% audience share
    Episode four (June 19): 2.3million viewers; 10% audience share

Titter.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    TGOHF said:

nunu said:

Irrelevant for the referendum.
    I don't think so. He has had a negative effect on the campaign for leave. Even 1-2℅ lost will swing it
  • Options
    RobD said:

Shift key stuck?
    SHoCkiNG!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.