Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB/Polling Matters TV show June 15th: The EU Referendum spe

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

The fallout from this campaign will likely have negative effects for our economy and society whoever wins.

https://talkarttalksociety.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/who-scares-wins-the-unintended-political-consequences-of-the-british-eu-referendum-debate/

The UK has been my home for the past 19 years and this is the first time that I have properly started to feel that I am not welcome here. And this sentiment is shared by many of the immigrants I know. It has always been a welcoming, tolerant, open-minded country but now large groups of people who have worked hard and have made a contribution to both the economy (by paying taxes, for instance) and society (by, for example, educating the next British generations) are being made to feel like intruders.

The UK has been my home for just over 40 years and I completely disagree with this person. I shall be voting LEAVE next Thursday.
    You didn't come here under free-movement within the EU.
    When I first arrived here in early 1976, I didn't speak a single word of English!

But that was probably because I was only four months old :lol:
    Were you already train obsessed?
    Something about the pope, and catholicism? :D
    There's always something about the pope and catholicism.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

The fallout from this campaign will likely have negative effects for our economy and society whoever wins.

https://talkarttalksociety.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/who-scares-wins-the-unintended-political-consequences-of-the-british-eu-referendum-debate/

The UK has been my home for the past 19 years and this is the first time that I have properly started to feel that I am not welcome here. And this sentiment is shared by many of the immigrants I know. It has always been a welcoming, tolerant, open-minded country but now large groups of people who have worked hard and have made a contribution to both the economy (by paying taxes, for instance) and society (by, for example, educating the next British generations) are being made to feel like intruders.

The UK has been my home for just over 40 years and I completely disagree with this person. I shall be voting LEAVE next Thursday.
    Could I have that in whiting? ;)
    The REMAIN campaign have got no sole!
    If LEAVE wins, they'll get a big whelk home.

I'll kipper close eye on the result.
    I hope the return of bloater paste is in the kipper Brexit manifesto.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458
    Tim_B said:

When I first arrived here in early 1976, I didn't speak a single word of English!

I got my first trainspotter book for my 5th birthday (Diesels, 1980), also had a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine books around that time too.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

It's just dawned on me. If we do vote leave, what will happen to Blue Nun imports?? :o

They'll turn green ;)
    O/T, but got my H1B application underway today!
    The process has changed so much since I went through it 35 years ago. The next step after that is a green card, right?

Happy with your attorney?
    Haven't seen the need to get one yet, although may look into it if things get weird. Given my employer deals with H1Bs all the time (a university), I don't suspect there will be too much of a problem.

Permanent residency would be nice, but probably the final stop. I am a loyal subject of HM, and don't think I will ever be able to part with my British passport!
    You won't have to - I had a green card for 8 years before applying for US Citizenship (I was working at a DOD nuclear facility, so had to). I still have a British passport too. Under both British and US law, dual citizenship is perfectly legal.

The beauty of a Green card is that you can work for whoever you want.

Actually I found out today I've been accepted as a poll worker on election day. So after November's election I'll have been a poll worker in the UK, Canada and the US. Beat that!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I got my first trainspotter book for my 5th birthday (Diesels, 1980), also had a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine books around that time too.
    I'm surprised your middle names are not Ian Allen.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

It's just dawned on me. If we do vote leave, what will happen to Blue Nun imports?? :o

They'll turn green ;)
    The process has changed so much since I went through it 35 years ago. The next step after that is a green card, right?

Haven't seen the need to get one yet, although may look into it if things get weird. Given my employer deals with H1Bs all the time (a university), I don't suspect there will be too much of a problem.

Permanent residency would be nice, but probably the final stop. I am a loyal subject of HM, and don't think I will ever be able to part with my British passport!
    You won't have to - I had a green card for 8 years before applying for US Citizenship (I was working at a DOD nuclear facility, so had to). I still have a British passport too. Under both British and US law, dual citizenship is perfectly legal.

Actually I found out today I've been accepted as a poll worker on election day. So after November's election I'll have been a poll worker in the UK, Canada and the US. Beat that!
    A poll worker, as opposed to a Czech worker?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

They'll turn green ;)

What's your field? Considered an EB-1? You can apply at the end of your H1 period. Alien of extraordinary ability. You're talking to one. And I'm still on that and a British passport, no US passport yet.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

I'm surprised your middle names are not Ian Allen.
    Ian ALLAN, actually :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

They'll turn green ;)

Ah, I had thought the US made you revoke all other citizenships, since you have to pledge allegiance to the US in the ceremony. Something to think about, at least!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

They'll turn green ;)

What's your field? Considered an EB-1? You can apply at the end of your H1 period. Alien of extraordinary ability. You're talking to one. And I'm still on that and a British passport, no US passport yet.
    I am an alien of mediocre ability :)
  • Options

Whatever the failings of the CAP, blaming it for poverty elsewhere in the world is pathetic. Are there no consumers outside Europe?

You are showing your ignorance. The CAP has done a huge amount of damage to agriculture in exporting countries. As a 'large country' in economic terms in the agricultural field, EU policy affects world food prices.

This damage has been compounded by food aid the US and EU give through the likes of UNICEF and UNHCR which, by dumping free food in starving countries, under cuts local food prices and drives more farmers from the land exacerbating food shortages even further in the next plenty-famine cycle.

Rather than show your ignorance by your comments, read some economics on the matter. As I have said, the damage of the CAP is well documented in the economic literature. A quick google of "economic harm in developing countries caused by the Common Agricultural Policy" produced a mere 478,000 returns. Read some of them, why don't you?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

They'll turn green ;)

I am limited by some seriously average ability.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

They'll turn green ;)

Ah, I had thought the US made you revoke all other citizenships, since you have to pledge allegiance to the US in the ceremony. Something to think about, at least!
    It depends where you are from. Both countries have to allow it. The UK does. Most countries do. The only one I know for sure that doesn't is Norway. So if you're Norwegian - with all that Norwegian charisma - you have to choose one or the other.

I'm all for options.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050

shiney2 said:
    “If the result is wrong – and Britain leaves – the fault is entirely David Cameron’s and the Tory Party’s. We have done everything to help Britain, gave them the best possible deal, but it was unrealistic to think they could change minds in three months. Really all we can do now is pray.”

That about sums it up.
    If they think they gave us the best possible deal then it really is a good idea we could be leaving - clear.ly we and the Eu have fundamentally different outlooks on the world.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I got my first trainspotter book for my 5th birthday
    Child cruelty right there. I'd have hoped a named person would be told of such a thing today.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Whatever the failings of the CAP, blaming it for poverty elsewhere in the world is pathetic. Are there no consumers outside Europe?

You are showing your ignorance. The CAP has done a huge amount of damage to agriculture in exporting countries. As a 'large country' in economic terms in the agricultural field, EU policy affects world food prices.

This damage has been compounded by food aid the US and EU give through the likes of UNICEF and UNHCR which, by dumping free food in starving countries, under cuts local food prices and drives more farmers from the land exacerbating food shortages even further in the next plenty-famine cycle.

Rather than show your ignorance by your comments, read some economics on the matter. As I have said, the damage of the CAP is well documented in the economic literature. A quick google of "economic harm in developing countries caused by the Common Agricultural Policy" produced a mere 478,000 returns. Read some of them, why don't you?
    It's telling that in order to form an argument you immediately need to broaden the issue to US and UN policy too. Agricultural produce is hardly the only economic good subject to price distortion as a result of government policy.

You have to wonder why a sovereign country would allow itself to be the victim of policies like food dumping? Or is being outside the EU not a guarantee of sovereignty?
  • Options
    G'night all
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I have seen many of those get EB-1s by dint of working for Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley!

If it interests you, I can help. I used to write EB-1 petitions for a lawyer here for a couple of years. Got about 100 through successfully. I know how it works pretty well, and the buzz words that need to be in the petition. I can message you my contacts if you would like.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I have seen many of those get EB-1s by dint of working for Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley!

If it interests you, I can help. I used to write EB-1 petitions for a lawyer here for a couple of years. Got about 100 through successfully. I know how it works pretty well, and the buzz words that need to be in the petition. I can message you my contacts if you would like.
    Sure thing, always good to have on record! Although I think a green card application is relatively straightforward for someone on my career path.
  • Options

MTimT said:

It's telling that in order to form an argument you immediately need to broaden the issue to US and UN policy too. Agricultural produce is hardly the only economic good subject to price distortion as a result of government policy.

You have to wonder why a sovereign country would allow itself to be the victim of policies like food dumping? Or is being outside the EU not a guarantee of sovereignty?
    To argue that the CAP does damage does not require broadening the issue. Read the literature or continue in ignorance, no skin off my nose.

Your argument now is that, because other factors and players also contribute to the harm, we should ignore the harm caused by our own policies. How nice of you.

Why would a sovereign country allow itself to be victim? Corruption and personal enrichment at the expense of the populace.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

They'll turn green ;)

"Somebody said "alien", she thought they said "illegal alien", and signed up!" :lol:
  • Options
    Done
    RobD said:

MTimT said:

Sure thing, always good to have on record! Although I think a green card application is relatively straightforward for someone on my career path.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

To argue that the CAP does damage does not require broadening the issue. Read the literature or continue in ignorance, no skin off my nose.

Your argument now is that, because other factors and players also contribute to the harm, we should ignore the harm caused by our own policies. How nice of you.

Why would a sovereign country allow itself to be victim? Corruption and personal enrichment at the expense of the populace.
    It's always easier to appeal to authority and accuse anyone playing devil's advocate of ignorance rather than challenge your own worldview. Ironically the very approach derided by people like you in the Brexit debate.

In your last paragraph you identify the real issue.
  • Options

Sunil, I am glad you feel at home in the UK. Strangely, on my last visit, it was the first time, as a natural born Brit, felt a foreigner in my own home.

As for the article, I really do think the author hit the nail on the head with this:

"Those who have the right to vote on 23 June should definitely do so but they should avoid making their choices based on the “economic truths” that we have been force-fed from both sides of the debate. These “objective truths” can be politically motivated and are, in any case, contingent on multiple internal and external factors, which no one can possibly predict or forecast in advance. The electorate should liberate themselves from the counterproductive scaremongering and contradicting economic forecasts and feel able to make their choices based on what they believe is right, where they believe Britain belongs"
  • Options

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

It's always easier to appeal to authority and accuse anyone playing devil's advocate of ignorance rather than challenge your own worldview. Ironically the very approach derided by people like you in the Brexit debate.

In your last paragraph you identify the real issue.
    One of the real issues. Our policies are re the CAP are another.

And I am not appealing to authority - I have cited no named expert but have pointed you to a vast body of literature. Would you suggest that, if I pointed you to multiple textbooks on physics to learn about gravity, that that would be an appeal to authority? I think not.

I am appealing to you to learn the economics. Again, if you chose not to, no skin off my nose.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Done

RobD said:

MTimT said:

Thanks! Replied via Vanilla message.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Fascinating insight from @YouGov: Remain voters trust experts, Leave voters don't trust anyone. https://t.co/qtfNguJ3Nr
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    PlatoSaid said:

Fascinating insight from @YouGov: Remain voters trust experts, Leave voters don't trust anyone. https://t.co/qtfNguJ3Nr

Interestingly, neither trust well known Sports people, Entertainers, Journalists or Politicians....

Of course a lot of the 'expert trust' could be 'confirmation bias' - 'Experts' have overwhelmingly endorsed REMAIN, so if I was a LEAVEr my choices are accept their views, or dismiss them.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Interestingly, neither trust well known Sports people, Entertainers, Journalists or Politicians....

Of course a lot of the 'expert trust' could be 'confirmation bias' - 'Experts' have overwhelmingly endorsed REMAIN, so if I was a LEAVEr my choices are accept their views, or dismiss them.
    Genuinely surprised they didn't include PB Tories in their ranking. Probably too eminently trustworthy to bother asking :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Genuinely surprised they didn't include PB Tories in their ranking. Probably too eminently trustworthy to bother asking :)
    These days there are PB Tories and then there are PB Tories, if you follow me. That is with some of them on opposite sides, one cannot be sure what the official PB Tory view is to trust or not.

Gods, it's already getting light outside, curse this insomnia.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

These days there are PB Tories and then there are PB Tories, if you follow me. That is with some of them on opposite sides, one cannot be sure what the official PB Tory view is to trust or not.
    The ones that are right of course!

We just don't yet know which ones they are.......
  • Options
    Interestingly tim, late of this parish, seems to have redirected his ire from Osborne to Gove......
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

Not true we trust the British people!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    For their sake, they should hope the jury does not judge them on appearance. Looking at them, Shoreditch hipster does not exactly come to mind.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

They'll turn green ;)
    Attaboy!!!!
    Yeah! It means I can't go home while it's being done, so sneaking in a quick trip home on Friday ;)
    So you can vote for LEAVE? ;)
    I have my postal ballot here. It's either leave or abstain I think. Can't bring myself to vote remain now. Got your email BTW.
    Make a positive contribution to our shares future... vote leave
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    What an odd thing to say:
    “Ask any lawyer, what we gave Britain was outside the treaties, it’s illegal but we did it to help Britain. Britain got a lot and many others hold a grudge for that; we were more than generous.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/eu-referendum-defiant-senior-brussels-diplomat-warns-uk-not-to-o/
    So they admit that what they gave us was unlawful, how are we supposed to believe it won't get thrown out by the ECJ soon after a remain vote?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Anecdotal.

Almost nobody I know and come into contact with up here in Scotland is even speaking about the referendum. It's a bit bizarre up here.

Make of that what you will.

Low turnout.

Basically we recognise this as a crappy tribute band version of our referendum.
This discussion has been closed.