Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Roger reviews the latest EU referendum broadcasts

SystemSystem Posts: 11,721
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Roger reviews the latest EU referendum broadcasts

Over the last few weeks research companies running focus groups will have been dissecting psychoanalysing and picking to death the innermost thoughts of voters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,687
    edited June 2016
    Red Adair said:

“If you think using professionals is expensive you should see what it costs to use amateurs."

I once quoted that Red Adair saying, and the other person replied with

'The Titanic was built by professionals, The Ark was built by amateurs'

But thank you for another excellent piece Roger
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    If you go to the main site it's visible there.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Thank you, Roger, for the header.

So Cameron and Osborne are threatening to punish portions of the electorate for not voting the right way. Excuse me, isn't that the wrong way round?

Bollocks is my immediate reaction. You may think you're the master now, but if you think you can bully the little people into falling in line, you can f*ck right off. I'll vote Labour at the next election even if the certified loon is still in place. Are the Conservatives trying to lose the next election?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited June 2016
    Just looking at the rather amusing "shoot to kill" Dan Hodges article. A few choice quotes:

The first serious act of aggression was launched two weeks ago when Johnson and Gove co-authored a letter accusing the Prime Minister of being ‘corrosive of public trust’ over immigration.

I guess all the attacks on Boris and Gove before that weren't "serious"?

None of that has [the attacks on Boris] anything to do with a Machiavellian scheme from No 10 or No 11,’ says a Cabinet Minister. ‘Boris is personally rude, misogynistic, disruptive in meetings, and makes everything about him. He is not at all a team player, and is actually a complete vacuum when it comes to belief, conviction or moral compass. He has no sense of duty, no sense of loyalty and no sense of service.’

I like the focus on policies and what is the best for the UK in the long term. That's what's important, right folks?

[the now] ceaseless wave of attacks on the Prime Minister’s integrity. ‘Cameron called for honesty then told five outright lies in 30 minutes,’ said an article posted on the Vote Leave website following his clash with Farage on Tuesday.

I guess he should be allowed to allowed to say what he likes because he's a 'pretty straight sort of guy', right?

By trying to win the referendum in a way that gives him the best opportunity of putting his party back together, the Prime Minister risks losing the contest.

Jeez! Does Dan actually believe this sh1t?!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3637151/DAN-HODGES-Incendiary-Incisive-corridors-power.html
  • Options
    Why LEAVE have chosen to do everything in-house is a mystery.

I suspect firstly because of cost. But, more importantly, I suspect they don't trust the advertising industry not to leak their strategy to the Remain side.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    edited June 2016
    Good morning, everyone.

Another interesting article, Mr. Roger. Will you be writing more of these, looking at US attack ads once the presidential race (rather than nominee race) gets into full swing?

F1: start time is 7pm. I'll see about writing a pre-race piece before lunch.

Edited extra bit: and if you missed the interview I did with the founder of Woodbridge Press, and you're a would-be (or actual) publisher/writer, or just interested in the nuts and bolts, do give it a look:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/interview-with-nathan-hystad.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited June 2016
    Very interesting, thanks Roger. Like education, advertising is an area where everyone thinks they know better, so a professional view is valuable.

Personally I thought the Remain ad was dull (I was tempted to stop watching halfway through) but fairly convincing. I was confused by the habit of giving the speakers in voice-over before showing their lips moving - is this standard, and why? The mix of different types of expert was good.

The Leave ad was much more arresting but also less convincing. You don't have to be especially well-informed to know that some of its claims are factually incorrect, and the Dad's Army-like arrows are memorable but overused.

Interestingly they go for Cameron's jugular in the first seconds, presumably based on the polling showing his credibility is a busted flush. But I wonder if it's quite that simple - he's still the PM, and has an authority that the anonymous speakers on the Leave film don't.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    Great read as usual, but ...

Ads are only as good as the product they sell. Leave has the best product: big cuts in immigration. Whether that actually materialises is besides the point - a lot of voters want to buy. They may well end up feeling fleeced, but that is neither here nor there.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    CD13 said:

So Cameron and Osborne are threatening to punish portions of the electorate for not voting the right way. Excuse me, isn't that the wrong way round?

Bollocks is my immediate reaction. You may think you're the master now, but if you think you can bully the little people into falling in line, you can f*ck right off. I'll vote Labour at the next election even if the certified loon is still in place. Are the Conservatives trying to lose the next election?

Team Cameron don't seem to care if the Tories resemble a demolition site after 23rd. Who haven't they pissed off or threatened?

Where's One Nation gone? It's now The Elites vs The People. It's split the country in a way I never expected - but then again, I never thought our own PM and Chancellor would behave like this. Threatening state pensions is the pits, though possibly slightly less tasteless than knee-capping in NI.
  • Options
    Aren't we just absolutely heartily sick of leftie luvvies telling us how to vote?
    Has no one told Cameron that this might be the case?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Just looking at the rather amusing "shoot to kill" Dan Hodges article. A few choice quotes:

The first serious act of aggression was launched two weeks ago when Johnson and Gove co-authored a letter accusing the Prime Minister of being ‘corrosive of public trust’ over immigration.

I guess all the attacks on Boris and Gove before that weren't "serious"?

None of that has [the attacks on Boris] anything to do with a Machiavellian scheme from No 10 or No 11,’ says a Cabinet Minister. ‘Boris is personally rude, misogynistic, disruptive in meetings, and makes everything about him. He is not at all a team player, and is actually a complete vacuum when it comes to belief, conviction or moral compass. He has no sense of duty, no sense of loyalty and no sense of service.’

I like the focus on policies and what is the best for the UK in the long term. That's what's important, right folks?

[the now] ceaseless wave of attacks on the Prime Minister’s integrity. ‘Cameron called for honesty then told five outright lies in 30 minutes,’ said an article posted on the Vote Leave website following his clash with Farage on Tuesday.

I guess he should be allowed to allowed to say what he likes because he's a 'pretty straight sort of guy', right?

By trying to win the referendum in a way that gives him the best opportunity of putting his party back together, the Prime Minister risks losing the contest.

Jeez! Does Dan actually believe this sh1t?!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3637151/DAN-HODGES-Incendiary-Incisive-corridors-power.html

That's a great fisking. I've stopped reading Dan recently. He's so pro-Remain, it'd make the Guardian blush.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, depends on who the 'we' is.

There's a risk, for Remain, people see a load of rich people who are doing incredibly well out of the status quo, campaigning for things to stay as they are because it helps them out.

That said, I do think it's still a clear net benefit for Remain to say "Look at all these experts we have".

Miss Plato, what?! I may not be overflowing with gold [which didn't do Crassus much good, in any event] but surely I'm classed as elite? Who else has mastered the mystic art of differential front end grip?
  • Options
    Cameron has gone mad, stark staring mad. I've just read his rant in the Telegraph. Vote Remain or your bus passes free TV licences and the triple pension lock gets it.

Naked blackmail - and naked Blackmail of a generation who sacrificed so much and gave up loved ones and so much material comfort to win a world war.

And he thinks it will help.He might as well have called our pensioners "Bastards" (cf ~Major)

What an steaming idiot.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,840
    Charles said:

I suspect firstly because of cost. But, more importantly, I suspect they don't trust the advertising industry not to leak their strategy to the Remain side.

I suspect it's because none of the major advertising agencies would take the contract - a lot of their clients will be multinationals in favour of REMAIN
  • Options
    ConcanvasserConcanvasser Posts: 165
    A balanced article, thanks Roger. If the in house amateurs have managed a narrow lead in the polls with the end in sight, you must believe that Leave would be miles ahead by now with 'professionals'. on board?
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    Murdoch is still clearly very determined for an out, judging by today's headline on Turkey. The editorials will fall into line by voting day.
  • Options
    Can you post the leave video as well? Would be nice to be able to see that too
  • Options

Charles said:

I suspect it's because none of the major advertising agencies would take the contract - a lot of their clients will be multinationals in favour of REMAIN
    I very much doubt that any MNC would cancel a contract because an agency worked for a political campaign - obviously it's different to working for a direct competitor
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Charles said:

Lol - now the admen are part of the conspiracy? The list of evil plotters gets bigger by the day.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Are the Conservatives trying to lose the next election?

The problem is of course that there is no prospect of the Conservatives losing the next election. Nobody will vote for a party led by Corbyn or Macdonnell. The situation is similar to 1992 in that the government clearly needs time out to regroup, but as there is no plausible alternative they will be voted back in. Except, of course, that Kinnock was a far better leader than Corbyn and the SNP were weaker so the margin of defeat for Labour will likely be greater than in 1992. Parallels might also be drawn with 1900 where the Liberals under Harcourt were clearly not ready to move on from their former discredited leader's policies and Harcourt himself was disliked and distrusted (although jingoism also played a big part).

However, it also means that when Labour get their act together and elect someone who could pass for sane in a dim light, the ultimate defeat for the Conservatives will be much more devastating and possibly even terminal.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    Just reviewed todays mail on sunday online. Very quiet on EU and with a tinge of eurosceptisim.

Looks to me like Dacre (who is editor in chief of DMG media) has pulled rank and told Geordie Grieg to stop annoying the readers. Has there been a noticeable drop in circulation I wonder?

Looks like it won't just be politicians that have their careeers ruined by this?

PS - they are also making clear that England fans are the victims not aggressors in last nights violence.
  • Options

Mr. Putney, depends on who the 'we' is.

There's a risk, for Remain, people see a load of rich people who are doing incredibly well out of the status quo, campaigning for things to stay as they are because it helps them out.

That said, I do think it's still a clear net benefit for Remain to say "Look at all these experts we have".

Miss Plato, what?! I may not be overflowing with gold [which didn't do Crassus much good, in any event] but surely I'm classed as elite? Who else has mastered the mystic art of differential front end grip?

You're one of the crusading dissidents who laugh in the face of poor race commentary.
  • Options

Murdoch is still clearly very determined for an out, judging by today's headline on Turkey.

That may just be the only compelling reason left to vote Remain.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Team Cameron don't seem to care if the Tories resemble a demolition site after 23rd. Who haven't they pissed off or threatened?

Where's One Nation gone? It's now The Elites vs The People. It's split the country in a way I never expected - but then again, I never thought our own PM and Chancellor would behave like this. Threatening state pensions is the pits, though possibly slightly less tasteless than knee-capping in NI.

Elites v The People. Pretty much sums it up. The Elites will be totally unaffected when we vote for Brexit. They will continue to run the country and it will be ordinary punters who pay the cost of any downsides that ensue. The Leave elite that replace Cameron and Osborne will ensure that.

• Options
    The Cameron pension line is obviously and clearly wrong. The Tory Leave elite, like the Tory Remain elite, will do nothing to harm the Tory client state. They know just as well as Dave and George who they need to look after in order to get elected.
  • Options

Cameron has gone mad, stark staring mad. I've just read his rant in the Telegraph. Vote Remain or your bus passes free TV licences and the triple pension lock gets it.

Naked blackmail - and naked Blackmail of a generation who sacrificed so much and gave up loved ones and so much material comfort to win a world war.

And he thinks it will help.He might as well have called our pensioners "Bastards" (cf ~Major)

What an steaming idiot.

I saw a clip on Sky that he's threatening to cut the Defence/NHS budgets too - and basically says that if we don't vote Remain, his entire manifesto can't be delivered.

Talk about going all in. If I wasn't seeing this with my own eyes - I wouldn't believe it.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

What an steaming idiot.

Hmmm bearing in mind that most.pensioners under 85 will have played no part in the war but will benefited from increased house prices, all the government largesse pushed in their direction and in many cases pension schemes younger people can only dream of you'll forgive my lack of sympathy.

That generation has done, and continues to do very well thankyou. No more emotional blackmail please.
  • Options
    Charles said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07fflz0/eu-referendum-campaign-broadcasts-vote-leave-09062016
  • Options
    Ms Plato,

"slightly less tasteless than knee-capping in NI."

Don't give him ideas.

You may be too young to remember the opening scenes of 'Blazing Saddles' where the black sheriff holds the gun to his own head and says "Back off, or the 'Conservatives' get it."
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

I saw a clip on Sky that he's threatening to cut the Defence/NHS budgets too - and basically says that if we don't vote Remain, his entire manifesto can't be delivered.

Talk about going all in. If I wasn't seeing this with my own eyes - I wouldn't believe it.
    Whoever is is media bod sure isn't Alistair Campbell!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Elites v The People. Pretty much sums it up. The Elites will be totally unaffected when we vote for Brexit. They will continue to run the country and it will be ordinary punters who pay the cost of any downsides that ensue. The Leave elite that replace Cameron and Osborne will ensure that.

It is Elites versus the People.

Whether we Brexit or Bremain, the Elites will win.

Why would anyone expect anything else?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

The Cameron pension line is obviously and clearly wrong. The Tory Leave elite, like the Tory Remain elite, will do nothing to harm the Tory client state. They know just as well as Dave and George who they need to look after in order to get elected.

Which sort of makes threatening them a bit mad. I really don't get where Cameron's coming from, winning a vote is one thing doing it while annoying all your core supporters is another.

As I have said before, the problem with victory at all costs is eventually the bill turns up and this one is going to be expensive.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I very much doubt that any MNC would cancel a contract because an agency worked for a political campaign - obviously it's different to working for a direct competitor
    It would certainly be a factor in account review - "this agency helped damage our business- do we want to work with them?"
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

I suspect they've been looking for an excuse to let pensioners share the pain.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

It's completely true: what you voted for, what you used to cheer to the rafters is predicated on high levels of immigration and EU membership. You voted for policies designed to clear the deficit by 2020. If that is to happen it requires a certain level of growth, plus tax rises and spending cuts. If growth stalls as a result of Brexit - and even most Leavers concede it will - then to achieve what you voted for there will have to be further cuts and/or tax rises.

• Options
    Mr. Bedfordshire, there was a clue to that on the BBC news at ten coverage when some English flags were ripped down. Not exactly method acting from the Russkis.

Miss Plato, :D

Miss Plato 2, the "Vote the way I want or the spending gets it" line is perverse. He's PM. We'll still have a Conservative Government. I'm not a neutral in this, but it did come across as "I@m vindictive, so better do what I say or be punished."

It may work. But, if nothing else, it's another black mark against Cameron's name.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"slightly less tasteless than knee-capping in NI."

Don't give him ideas.

You may be too young to remember the opening scenes of 'Blazing Saddles' where the black sheriff holds the gun to his own head and says "Back off, or the 'Conservatives' get it."

Ha! Oh, I'm sadly old enough - I hated that film.
  • Options
    Mr Midwinter,

Excuse the four Yorkshiremen reference, but ... We had polio, tuberculosis, houses where an inside toilet was a rarity, and no central heating or telly. Lino instead of carpets and holidays were a day-trip on a coach. Luxury, pure luxury.

Owning your own home was a distant dream too.- join the club.
  • Options
    Wodger has called this wrong (again):

On In:

Alan Sugar is the UK's Donald Trump: A clown tv-presenter that create a few businesses that others - SKY - consumed to develop a global-platform. Had he been replaced by James Murdoch I would have been more impressed.

Steph' - the bike - Flanders: Oh please.

Barbour at least made cogent points. I may not agree with all of them but then I do not believe in 'unions' (outwith marriage).

Lord Robertson is not very bright: The EU is not the largest 'internal consumer market' (even when measured by "EU-doubletalk"). China and India have more consumers and we want to attract them (although we hope not to use our few, remaining 'gun-boats' you-and-yours [Labour and Remain] left us with).

Shami, balleaux: The Second World War started in Asia. Japanese attacks upon China (and it's goal of Asian 'Co-Existence' Zone) triggered the race to war and their solution does smell like "Remain-In". Grow-up and learn summinck useful!

Hawkins: Tube-Alloys. We've been there and dunnit. Less state intervention and more procurement would have saved our industries in dockyards and aerospace. And then came the 1957 Defence-Review, 'White-Light' bull and the EEC.

Summary:

Labour-luvvie Al-Beeboids talking bull.

On Out:

Normal folk discussing normal concerns. Apart from the NHS In/Out fiasco - a good Samaritan will always help someone in need - it was clearer and - sadly - struck emotional cords. Leave must be careful how they tackle migration: Change-tack and address the how the benefit system is abused by EU-deirectives and public-sector collaboration.

Summary:

No politicians; just normal people (though I dislike the implicit message).
  • Options
    felix said:

Charles said:

Lol - now the admen are part of the conspiracy? The list of evil plotters gets bigger by the day.
    No conspiracy - just a realistic expectation that an overwhelming majority of advertising employees support Remain (young, metropolitan, wealthier than average) and that one individual within what would be a relatively large team would probably leak it.

That's the way the world works (sadly). I'm sure you could limit it to a "need to know" basis with a firewalled team, etc, but why take the risk?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019
    Thanks Roger, another good article to go with Ms Cyclefree's yesterday.

Can anyone with the Times post a summary of their front page story on Turkey - if it's half as bad as the headline then Remain are really in trouble.

I think we predicted on here several months ago pretty much to the day, when the PM would write his "Vote Remain or your pension gets it" blackmail letter. Sad to see the man and his office so diminished by this campaign, he must know in his heart by now that he's only got a fortnight left in the job.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

It's very clear that they've got a hammer - and everything looks like a nail. There's no finesse - no subtlety. I don't feel they're even trying to seduce me, it's all bash-bash-bash.
  • Options

Which sort of makes threatening them a bit mad. I really don't get where Cameron's coming from, winning a vote is one thing doing it while annoying all your core supporters is another.

As I have said before, the problem with victory at all costs is eventually the bill turns up and this one is going to be expensive.

I said a long time ago that you'd know Remain were seriously worried about losing if they raised pensions as an issue. Ten days out and lo and behold. This tells me that Leave have it in the bag.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07fflz0/eu-referendum-campaign-broadcasts-vote-leave-09062016
    ta

Edit: that's a pretty unpleasant introduction. Don't like it at all.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Red Adair said:

“If you think using professionals is expensive you should see what it costs to use amateurs."

In fairness, there wasn't much wrong with the construction of the Titanic.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Hmmm bearing in mind that most.pensioners under 85 will have played no part in the war

It was total war. Anyone alive played a part in it, both in having the crap bombed out of them every night and living on rations which went on until 1955.

Anyone born as late as 1940 will remember living through the war and the daily terrors, so that is anyone under 76

Anyone born as late as 1950 will remember the consequent poverty, bombed out city and cold and hunger due to the rationing of food and fuel - so that is anyone over 66.

Many also grew up in orphanages or if luckier had a single parent because the other had been killed in the armed forces or in bombing raids

So just about ALL pensioners were affected by World War 2 and they will be TOTALLY INFURIATED by Camerons comments.

Cameron is a total and utter fool and your comment is rather naive.
  • Options
    Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

No conspiracy - just a realistic expectation that an overwhelming majority of advertising employees support Remain (young, metropolitan, wealthier than average) and that one individual within what would be a relatively large team would probably leak it.

That's the way the world works (sadly). I'm sure you could limit it to a "need to know" basis with a firewalled team, etc, but why take the risk?
    Your description of the ad lads did lead me to wonder if part of the problem the ads are a bit dull is they are crafted by people who have no experience of the other half of society. If they have little cultural affinity they must struggle to hit the right notes.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, the polls are very close. The time has not yet come to abandon all hope.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Red Adair said:

Other than a lack of lifeboats.

Iceberg, what iceberg?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hitchens has called it for leave and thinks it will cause the most serious constitutional crisis since the abdication of Edward VIII

"I overestimated the Prime Minister – a difficult thing for me to do since my opinion of him was so low. I did not think he could possibly have promised this vote with so little thought, preparation or skill."

Ouch
  • Options
    Tory Leavers care so much about the poor and the vulnerable that they cheered this to the rafters:

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/737525064199856128
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

It would certainly be a factor in account review - "this agency helped damage our business- do we want to work with them?"
    I've never been an agency buyer (and I think you may have been?) but it would seem odd to factor that in to me.

I can certainly see agencies not wanting to take the business because it would irritate their staff, but would clients really make a decision based on something as tenuous as that?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196

What an steaming idiot.

It was what saved him in Scottish Referendum, that was the last throw of the dice and the pensioners saved him based on fear. His last great hope yet again.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Red Adair said:

Other than a lack of lifeboats.

Iceberg, what iceberg?
    Even that wasn't so much a design flaw as a stupid policy decision.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    No great shock but Andrew Mitchell declared for Remain. https://t.co/nk3NoPOo0L

No surprise that Leave have been trashing 'experts' but I see this as doing lasting damage to credibility of people who actually know what they're talking about in a range of disciplines. Who needs studied and analysed views when my mate down the pub has also been thinking about it?

As for the Tories, I'm sure the plan was to get this out of the way early in the parliament, so there are four years to regroup and put this behind them. The Lib Dems had four and a half years to try that on tuition fees - and we all saw how that worked out.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Good to see Labour examining extending the right to buy to private tenants.
  • Options

I said a long time ago that you'd know Remain were seriously worried about losing if they raised pensions as an issue. Ten days out and lo and behold. This tells me that Leave have it in the bag.

Too hard to call imo, though I didn't seriously imagine we'd be saying that with 10 days to go. looking at the Remain campaign I think they've pitched it too much on scaring people's wallets. Firstly a large chunk of people dont like being threatened and secondly there's more to life than money. They've still not posted an image of why staying in is better for us on its own merits.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

An in/out referendum was part of his manifesto. An out vote was clearly possible all along as part of his manifesto.

Not being able to deliver the manifesto due to one part of the manifesto is very bizzare logic.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, the polls are very close. The time has not yet come to abandon all hope.

I am not abandoning anything. I have always thought Leave will win. They have the best and most accessible line. They won't deliver on it, though. That is the problem. And it is going to make a lot of people very angry, as will the even greater cuts that are coming.

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Question of Leave supporters: accepting that they believe the dire economic warnings (latest is 30% fall in the currency and 20% off house prices) are basically 'scaremongering' - how bad would the theoretical economic shock have to be before they changed their minds?

Or to put it another way - if we voted leave and there WAS actually a significantly negative economic shock, would they think that perhaps a mistake had been made?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

Nah, if it was in the bag, they'd be saying how much *worse* completely out would be compared to EEA, laying some groundwork for the negotiations. They either think it's close, or they don't know. Or both.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, that sounds like people losing the right to keep their own property if a tenant decides they want to purchase it. I'm not sure that's other than deranged.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016

What an steaming idiot.

Ummm, the ww2 generation is mostly dead, this is aimed straight at the uber privileged Baby Boomers
  • Options

They're seriously worried about losing, but that doesn't mean Leave have it in the bag. Since purdah began, seven polls have put Leave ahead, four have put Remain ahead, and one tie. But all the leads have been tight apart from ORB.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

What an steaming idiot.

It was what saved him in Scottish Referendum, that was the last throw of the dice and the pensioners saved him based on fear. His last great hope yet again.
    Yes but then an out vote would have inevitably have meant a republic and replacement of the Queen and all she stands for. This time it is a remain vote that will do that.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What? Are they saying I could be forced to sell my house to my tenant?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hitchens is on fire today:

"Everything I hear now suggests that the votes for Leave are piling up, while the Remain cause is faltering and floundering. The betrayed supporters of both major parties now feel free to take revenge on their smug and arrogant leaders.

It has been a mystery to me that these voters stayed loyal to organisations that repeatedly spat on them from a great height. Labour doesn’t love the poor. It loves the London elite. The Tories don’t love the country. They love only money. The referendum, in which the parties are split and uncertain, has freed us all from silly tribal loyalties and allowed us to vote instead according to reason. We can all vote against the heedless, arrogant snobs who inflicted mass immigration on the poor (while making sure they lived far from its consequences themselves). And nobody can call us ‘racists’ for doing so. That’s not to say that the voters are ignoring the actual issue of EU membership as a whole. As I have known for decades, this country has gained nothing from belonging to the European Union, and lost a great deal.

If Zambia can be independent, why cannot we? If membership is so good for us, why has it been accompanied by savage industrial and commercial decline? If the Brussels system of sclerotic, centralised bureaucracy is so good, why doesn’t anyone else in the world adopt it?"

• Options
    Alistair said:

What an steaming idiot.

Ummm, the ww2 generation is mostly dead, this is aimed straight at the uber privileged Baby Boomers
    Yep. "Who ate all the pies?"

We did.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Can anyone with the Times post a summary of their front page story on Turkey - if it's half as bad as the headline then Remain are really in trouble.

I think we predicted on here several months ago pretty much to the day, when the PM would write his "Vote Remain or your pension gets it" blackmail letter. Sad to see the man and his office so diminished by this campaign, he must know in his heart by now that he's only got a fortnight left in the job.

5 leaked diplomatic cables:

- visa free travel for 1.5m Turks who hold *special passports*
    - this is a 'significant and symbolic' gesture to Turkey and thanks for holding up their end of the migrant deal
    - to keep this secret until after 23rd June "to control the situation"
    - Head of Europol confirms analysis that terrorist threat linked to migration - inc from false Syrian passports
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Yes- at a heft discount lol

Will be very popular among the young.
  • Options
    @FluffyThoughts - what has James Murdoch, a man who let it not be forgotten was obliged to answer some very awkward questions over phone hacking (to which he gave very unconvincing answers) and who owes his position entirely to parental patronage, got that puts him ahead of Sugar (who at least built up his own business)?

Indeed, arguably it is Rupert Murdoch that conforms more nearly to Trump, while James is comparable to Donald Trump Jr.
  • Options

Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Your description of the ad lads did lead me to wonder if part of the problem the ads are a bit dull is they are crafted by people who have no experience of the other half of society. If they have little cultural affinity they must struggle to hit the right notes.
    Isn't it kinda their job to 'hit the right notes' though...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    tpfkar said:

No great shock but Andrew Mitchell declared for Remain. https://t.co/nk3NoPOo0L

No surprise that Leave have been trashing 'experts' but I see this as doing lasting damage to credibility of people who actually know what they're talking about in a range of disciplines. Who needs studied and analysed views when my mate down the pub has also been thinking about it?

As for the Tories, I'm sure the plan was to get this out of the way early in the parliament, so there are four years to regroup and put this behind them. The Lib Dems had four and a half years to try that on tuition fees - and we all saw how that worked out.

I think the LibDems failed to realise that, in such circumstances, you need a blood sacrifice to propitiate the angry.

The LibDems failed to placate the Gods with a sacrificial offering, so the electorate did the job for them.

The Tories have their sacrifice ready. He just needs to be trussed up like a turkey and tossed in the oven.
  • Options
    :sort-of-off-topic:

Seventeen-years ago was the NATO intervention within Kosovo. Despite the crazies running NATO at the time General Sir Michael Jackson refused to attack Russian paratroopers that had invaded Pristina airport. Within months the following people were forced to resign:

General Wesley Clark (C-in-C, NATO),
    Lord George Robertson (Head, NATO), and
    General Sir Michael Jackson (C-in-C, KFOR).

Only the last is deserving of any respect....
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

It's completely true: what you voted for, what you used to cheer to the rafters is predicated on high levels of immigration and EU membership. You voted for policies designed to clear the deficit by 2020. If that is to happen it requires a certain level of growth, plus tax rises and spending cuts. If growth stalls as a result of Brexit - and even most Leavers concede it will - then to achieve what you voted for there will have to be further cuts and/or tax rises.

No we didn't we voted to not have a neomarxist Wonk and the Krankies (Salmond and Sturgeon) anywhere the leavers of power.

Cameron has been daft enough to think that people actually voted for him.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Question of Leave supporters: accepting that they believe the dire economic warnings (latest is 30% fall in the currency and 20% off house prices) are basically 'scaremongering' - how bad would the theoretical economic shock have to be before they changed their minds?

Or to put it another way - if we voted leave and there WAS actually a significantly negative economic shock, would they think that perhaps a mistake had been made?

The Leave line will be to blame Osborne and to say a downturn was on the cards anyway. Whether there'll get away with it depends on the extent of any problems. You wouldn't want to be Chancellor Gove and really have to take away some tasty pensioner perks.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Isn't it kinda their job to 'hit the right notes' though...
    certainly, but sometimes I think it's like sending a heavy metal band to play Chopin.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Nope. I've no doubt at all that things will end up alright. The nearest parallel is probably our exit from the ERM in 1992, an event that was literally the firing of the starting gun on a decade-long boom. Having said that it's likely that it will take a couple of years to sort things out, so there may well be a bit of a storm it we will come through it.

For me this is about democracy and who governs us, there was a great article yesterday by James Dyson in the DT, very positive for the future outside the EU and I suspect a lot of entrepreneurs (as opposed to multinationals) feel the same way.
  • Options

Tory Leavers care so much about the poor and the vulnerable that they cheered this to the rafters:

That's a simple fact of maths, though.

If you have to cut spending then you will be taking away money from the recipients.

Assuming spending is reasonably well targeted then by definition that is the people with the least (even changes to the state pension affect the poorest most as it's a bigger proportion of their retirement income).

It was good to see tax increases on the wealthiest decile as well.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

If a leave was that much of a risk then why, as the Prime Minister of this country, did he even contemplate a referendum in the first place?

He could have I suppose have only realised the Implications after the referendum pledge had been made. Alternatively his threats against the electorate are all bollocks and he knows it.

Is there anything? Absolutely anything at all we do in this country that is not going to come crashing down if we Brexit. We must be a pretty useless if our very existence relies solely on that bunch of incompetents in Brussels led by unelected presidents are our only saviours. So much so that even a British PM cannot run the country without some EU bureaucrat holding his hand.

The situation now seems to have become so desperate for Remain that it's thought no scare or threat is out of play. It's now to the point that Threatening and scaring pensioners and the NHS are a good idea or to parody that regular left wing line " the old the sick and the needy".
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer @Sandpit I'm not quite sure how this is different from forcing housing associations or councils to sell them? Although that's a policy whose benefits have been somewhat mixed.

I think one reform I would definitely be in favour of, having been at various times a tenant and a landlord, is to give a sitting tenant a right of first refusal should the landlord decide to sell. Estate agents would of course hate that, but that's just a bonus, it's not why I'm proposing it.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

No we didn't we voted to not have a neomarxist Wonk and the Krankies (Salmond and Sturgeon) anywhere the leavers of power.

Plato made absolutely clear that she completely endorsed government policy. She used to be a big fan of everything it did. If you do not support moving to a surplus by 2020, fair enough.

• Options

Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Alan, almost 100% of ads are puerile crap thought up by retards. The halfwits in advertising must live on another planet.
  • Options

alex. said:

The Leave line will be to blame Osborne and to say a downturn was on the cards anyway. Whether there'll get away with it depends on the extent of any problems. You wouldn't want to be Chancellor Gove and really have to take away some tasty pensioner perks.
    I'm not asking what the "line" will be, or who will take the political blame. I'm asking Leave supporters if they would have a different view (with hindsight) if some of the "scaremongering" consequences of Brexit, that they are content to dismiss, actually came to pass.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

I suspect they've been looking for an excuse to let pensioners share the pain.

It`s an excuse for the Conservatives to do what they always - but secretly - wanted to do.

So if Leae wins, Cameron and his cronies can cut pensions, close or sell off the NHS and do all the other things they have been threatening us with.

Their answer will be: "We told you what would happen if you voted for Leave. You did, and now it`s happening. We have our mandate, and you voted for it."

The only trouble is that nobody will be presuaded by their nonsense.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I never swear on this blog, but if that's true they can fuck right off.

All that will happen it that people who for example work abroad for a few years will just leave their places empty.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

It's very clear that they've got a hammer - and everything looks like a nail. There's no finesse - no subtlety. I don't feel they're even trying to seduce me, it's all bash-bash-bash.
    Its got to be up there with "If it isn't hurting it isn't working" (followed by collapse of the policy and it becoming obvious that it hurt because it didn't work) for self destruction.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    ydoethur said:

@FluffyThoughts - what has James Murdoch, a man who let it not be forgotten was obliged to answer some very awkward questions over phone hacking (to which he gave very unconvincing answers) and who owes his position entirely to parental patronage, got that puts him ahead of Sugar (who at least built up his own business)?

Indeed, arguably it is Rupert Murdoch that conforms more nearly to Trump, while James is comparable to Donald Trump Jr.

BSkyB. No wonder he is now running Fox.com 21st Century-Fox. Oh, something about men cometing with bicycles (but please refer with OGH Senior for details). ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I never swear on this blog, but if that's true they can fuck right off.

All that will happen it that people who for example work abroad for a few years will just leave their places empty.
    They will confiscate it if you do that. Thats another policy
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Something I've not seen mentioned that might actually be a small factor in the referendum outcome.

On June 24th, the "blockbuster sequel" Independence Day: Resurgence is being released. While I don't think it will be a huge factor, I'm sure all the billboards and TV advertising might drill the message home that June 23rd is "Indepndence Day". I can see this swinging a few tens of thousands of votes to Leave. A few tens of thousands might be enough.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2016
    malcolmg said:

What an steaming idiot.

Except it wasn't. Cameron has drawn the wrong lesson by focusing on the result rather than the direction of travel over the previous months. The relentless negativity of Better Together (too poor, too wee, too stupid) almost lost against the optimism of the independence movement. What turned things around were the vow and the last-minute intervention of Gordon Brown in presenting a positive case for the union.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Sounds just about what those halfwits would come up with, they will make it below market value as well. You wonder if they are as stupid as they make out or if they just prefer being the opposition.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

alex. said:

Nope. I've no doubt at all that things will end up alright. The nearest parallel is probably our exit from the ERM in 1992, an event that was literally the firing of the starting gun on a decade-long boom. Having said that it's likely that it will take a couple of years to sort things out, so there may well be a bit of a storm it we will come through it.

For me this is about democracy and who governs us, there was a great article yesterday by James Dyson in the DT, very positive for the future outside the EU and I suspect a lot of entrepreneurs (as opposed to multinationals) feel the same way.
    James Dyson's complaint was that he wasn't able to hire non EU workers as easily as he could hire EU workers. He is in favour of a complete free for all. Fair enough that's his argument - but it doesn't remotely fit in with the crack down on immigration promised by the leave campaign.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

Plato made absolutely clear that she completely endorsed government policy. She used to be a big fan of everything it did. If you do not support moving to a surplus by 2020, fair enough.

I do support moving to a surplus by 2020 but in a rather more corbynite way.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

5 leaked diplomatic cables:

- visa free travel for 1.5m Turks who hold *special passports*
    - this is a 'significant and symbolic' gesture to Turkey and thanks for holding up their end of the migrant deal
    - to keep this secret until after 23rd June "to control the situation"
    - Head of Europol confirms analysis that terrorist threat linked to migration - inc from false Syrian passports
    Whoops! So the PM and Chancellor have been caught with their pants on fire, and it confirms what Leave have said about a lot of announcements of new EU stuff being deliberately held back.

I'm seriously starting to think this might be 60-40 to Leave now.
  • Options
    Charles said:

That's a simple fact of maths, though.

If you have to cut spending then you will be taking away money from the recipients.

Assuming spending is reasonably well targeted then by definition that is the people with the least (even changes to the state pension affect the poorest most as it's a bigger proportion of their retirement income).

It was good to see tax increases on the wealthiest decile as well.

Yep, the government's deficit reduction plans - supported enthusiastically by the Tory Leavers - have had the biggest impact on the poorest and the least impact on the wealthiest. Ditto cuts to services. That won't change under Boris. The Elite will be absolutely fine.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

What an steaming idiot.

Excuse me. Do not put words in my mouth or use me as a pawn in your proxy war.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited June 2016

Many of his core supporters are deeply passionate leavers - annoying them was unavoidable. That being the case, clearly he felt he needed to go all out in order to win, which he feels is the best interests of the country, even if it really pissed off those same people.

I've said before it all seems straightforward and not in the least irrational as people are presenting it- Cameron likely knows his tactics are damaging, but sees no alternative, and that must mean he felt it would be close from the start. Victory at any cost was the only way to victory. Sure the bill will come due, but that's better than it being due right now if he loses.

He's using a political payday loan - it's only going to get him in to deeper trouble, but it gives him a chance to get by now to face things later.

Economic fear is the best card remain have. Not all leavers think things will be fine, as cyclefree put it yesterday some have decided the price is worth it. If the price looks higher, some will waver.

Enough? I don't think so. I think people are ignoring such warnings now and many of those feel things are crappy already. And it us a shame the best arguments remain have are so negative.

But I understand it, I believe Roger has said before, in politics going negative usually works.
This discussion has been closed.