Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot: Politics after Brexit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot: Politics after Brexit

It’s only quite recently that most serious commentators took the prospect of a Leave vote seriously. A consequence of that is that there has been very little serious analysis of what would happen next in political terms. Leave say we’ll feel free at last, Remain say the pound will plummet and we’ll risk an economic crisis. But what, specifically, will happen in terms of Government?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited June 2016
    First......Encore!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Second, like Remain
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Third, like the SNP.

Errrr, I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    it’s not possible to see his many enemies in Westminster successfully blocking him.

Oh, yes it is......the last time MPs gave 'activists' their say they got IDS.....they won't make that mistake twice.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,976
    Agree with just about all of this except the last bit. Boris will win an overall majority because Corbyn Labour lacks any credibility. But he'll continue to struggle post-GE victory.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2016
    The Stick or Switch dilemma...now where have I heard that one before....innocent face.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited June 2016
    For those asking about any EURef polls due.

The only one due I'm aware of is the Opinium online poll for The Observer, that usually comes out between 5pm and 9pm.

But there might be others.

I'm busy for most of today, so will do a round up this evening
  • Options

Agree with just about all of this except the last bit. Boris will win an overall majority because Corbyn Labour lacks any credibility. But he'll continue to struggle post-GE victory.

What you mean the David Brent of politics might not do so well in a GE campaign?
  • Options

The Stick or Switch dilemma...now where have I heard that one before....

Scott might know....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,630
    Mortimer said:

Third, like the SNP.

Errrr, I'll get my coat.

No, only the Lib Dems could finish third in a two horse race.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Third, like the SNP.

Errrr, I'll get my coat.

No, only the Lib Dems could finish third in a two horse race.
    Chortle!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

it’s not possible to see his many enemies in Westminster successfully blocking him.

Oh, yes it is......the last time MPs gave 'activists' their say they got IDS.....they won't make that mistake twice.....

There's a reason why they did it then, and it's the same reason now - if they deny Boris a place, they risk deselection. It's not as though there were two obvious alternative pro-Leave candidates who actually want the job. "You want Boris - well, you can have David Davis or Priti Patel" is not going to go down well.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    I agree with 1 completely, and 2 to an extent.

I suspect that things will calm down far more quickly than people imagine. After all, the Eurozone seems to be in perpetual crisis but keeps on going, whereas this can be more sensibly navigated. I suspect that Gove's comment about an economic plan will address this next week.

The rest I would not bet on.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Very interesting piece Nick. I think you set out one of the most plausible narratives though I agree with Carlotta that Tory MPs might very well knock out Boris. He'll need to cultivate their support if he wants to get through to the membership.

I very much agree that Boris would enjoy a decent honeymoon.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Boris won't front the negotiations himself, he isn't a detail man, he will appoint a senior minister that does detail, is well educated, erudite and is clubbable enough and establishment enough to not get up the noses of the eurocrats, give them a set of redlines and leave them to it. May I suggest the Mogg as Europe Minister and Chief Negotiator.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FTP

@HurstLlama - you haven't upset me - just that my Mum's family was running the East India Company and my Dad's messing about in the City at the time you mentioned: you manged to clock them both around the head at the same time... The City has a role in redeploying the nation's savings in the most effective way. In many countries that's just in domestic industry; we have a much broader perspective reflecting our global heritage. In fact I think until something like the mid 2000s, the dividends on overseas investments that our Victorian ancestors made exceeded the payments we were making on foreign investments in the UK.

@Topping: Easy - some short term disruption, but within 3-5 years we will be back to where we were before and then, long-term, will outperform as we can optimise the economic arrangements for our particular needs
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Scott might know....
    I believe he has been sent for reprogramming after the glitch the other day.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    I can see Boris winning big - possibly with the SNP as his official opposition!
  • Options

There's a reason why they did it then, and it's the same reason now - if they deny Boris a place, they risk deselection. It's not as though there were two obvious alternative pro-Leave candidates who actually want the job. "You want Boris - well, you can have David Davis or Priti Patel" is not going to go down well.
    It's a secret ballot though.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Boris won't front the negotiations himself, he isn't a detail man, he will appoint a senior minister that does detail, is well educated, erudite and is clubbable enough and establishment enough to not get up the noses of the eurocrats, give them a set of redlines and leave them to it. May I suggest the Mogg as Europe Minister and Chief Negotiator.

Also, history would dictate that he is more than happy to delegate. As London Mayor, he was the bubbly feel good face of city, but had a whole team of deputies who really did the day to day stuff.
  • Options
    perdix said:
    The Theresa that made such a botch of immigration that is became the issue that lost Remain the referendum (and has the liberal instincts of Attila the Hun) can't see it myself.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

They wouldn't need to put forward two pro-Leave candidates. If Theresa May gets the mainstream vote then the rest of the party could be split between Boris and an ambitious MP who fancies their chances. Patel might not be a bad bet to make the run off if it plays out that way.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Quite so, Ms Vance. I really don't see Boris getting enough nominations from the Conservative MPs.

I think we need to look at the ladies for the next Conservative Party leader. Patel would be my personal preference, but if Remain wins her careers chances lose and she is anyway, I think, thought of as a bit too hard nosed. As discussed on here last night, Sarah Wollaston (at 66/1) might be worth a flutter.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2016
    FPT: An astonishing level of ignorance on here about our immigration system. Non-EU migrants have already been subject to a points based system and levies for using the NHS for the past 5 years.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited June 2016
    Your prognostications seem generally sound Nick, except I don't think Boris could initiate a 2017 General Election as blithely as you think. More likely he will kick off the negotiations and then govern as normal with them going on in the background for many years. I suspect we'll end up with some kind of quasi-EU-membership arrangement barely distinguishable from what we have now, but by then everyone will have forgotten about June 2016 so it won't matter.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Your prognostications seem generally sound Nick, except I don't think Boris could initiate a 2017 General Election as blithely as you think. More likely he will kick off the negotiations and then govern as normal with them going on in the background for many years. I suspect we'll end up with some kind of quasi-EU-membership arrangement barely distinguishable from what we have now, but by then everyone will have forgotten about June 2016 so it won't matter.

We'll have nearly 4 years of negotiation - and you can be sure UKIP will keep the pressure on if it appears that the UK is giving up too much.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

FPT: An astonishing level of ignorance on here about our immigration system. Non-EU migrants have already been subject to a points based system and levies for using the NHS for the past 5 years.

Quite.

and the EU ones haven't.

The leave proposal is that everyone is subject to the same system.

(Its also not just a points based system, you just need to get past the points based system before you get to all the same crap that has been there for decades)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Well, I have now received my first ever postal vote ballot paper.

How to vote? That is the question........

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I used to be of that view about the election but I've come round to thinking that Labour would have to vote for one or see extreme disillusionment from their rank and file who believe fervently that Corbyn is popular and an election winnable.
  • Options
    @Charles

I am glad I haven't upset you and of course I take your points about the role of the City and the benefits that it has provided. Nonetheless, we do seem to have lost ground somewhat over recent years and I rather think I stand by what I said about gentlemen capitalists and chronic underinvestment in our own industries.

Be that as it may, if we are back on speaking terms, may I ask you for your views on Cameron's successor?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    weejonnie said:

We'll have nearly 4 years of negotiation - and you can be sure UKIP will keep the pressure on if it appears that the UK is giving up too much.
    UKIP will be utterly irrelevant by then, possibly even non-existent. But they're only equipped to agitate about the raw, simple stuff anyway: In or Out; Yes or No; Good or Evil. Intervening in the fussy, drawn-out and laborious process of international trade diplomacy would be beyond their functionality. They don't even know what they want to replace EU membership with now. How can they possibly stick their oar in post-Brexit?
  • Options
    I must say that the quality of thread headers - from Nick P (thank you) and Roger, Alistair M and others has been really good, despite the EU referendum campaigns - important as the vote is - being about the most dismal I have seen.

Yesterday at lunch an asset management lady said that she would vote Remain, would not be that fussed if we ended up out but said - and everyone else around the table agreed vigorously - that the campaigns, both of them, were appalling.

Frankly if both sides shut up from now until June 23rd we'd scarcely be any worse off than we are now
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,979
    Charles said:

some short term disruption, but within 3-5 years we will be back to where we were before...

Point of order: "back to where we were before" isn't the same as "recovered". If your growth rate falls by £1bn pa in year 1 and increases by £1bn pa in year 2, then you have gone back to where you were before but you have not recovered: you still don't have the 1bn you lost in year 1
  • Options

@Charles

I am glad I haven't upset you and of course I take your points about the role of the City and the benefits that it has provided. Nonetheless, we do seem to have lost ground somewhat over recent years and I rather think I stand by what I said about gentlemen capitalists and chronic underinvestment in our own industries.

Be that as it may, if we are back on speaking terms, may I ask you for your views on Cameron's successor?

I think there has always been a good City and, certainly, for most of my working life, a rather larger bad City.

But it does not do to be too sentimental about the old City. Plenty of crooks in it and skullduggery aplenty.

If you want to know what went wrong a good start is in Julian Barnes' Letters from London. His essay on the Lloyds (insurance rather than the bank) disaster is a masterpiece. He describes very well what happens when trust is abused and vanishes. And, in essence, that is what has happened to the City and what it is now - very painfully and slowly - trying to rebuild. A pity that so many grandees and others forgot the old saying: "Trust comes in at a walk and goes out at a gallop."

A saying that politicians might do well to remember, too.

• Options

weejonnie said:

UKIP will be utterly irrelevant by then, possibly even non-existent. But they're only equipped to agitate about the raw, simple stuff anyway: In or Out; Yes or No; Good or Evil. Intervening in the fussy, drawn-out and laborious process of international trade diplomacy would be beyond their functionality. They don't even know what they want to replace EU membership with now. How can they possibly stick their oar in post-Brexit?
    Mr. Dawning, You wouldn't consider the idea that for as long as I have been on here (2007) I have been reading posts that UKIP are irrelevant? Yet we seem to having a referendum this month, why do you think that is?

Maybe I am just getting old and senile (Herself thinks so) but I am beginning to see the truth in the old idea that the influence of power is actually trumped by the power of influence.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    'This can’t be avoided. It will take at least two months to elect a new leader, and since that puts us into late August, realistically it’s going to be September.'

It can be avoided.

In view of the urgency of the situation the parliamentary party may decide to have an unopposed election as they did with Michael Howard.

A Remain candidate will have no chance,Gove doesn't want the job so that leaves Boris.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    A fun read from Mystic Nick! :smiley:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

some short term disruption, but within 3-5 years we will be back to where we were before...

Point of order: "back to where we were before" isn't the same as "recovered". If your growth rate falls by £1bn pa in year 1 and increases by £1bn pa in year 2, then you have gone back to where you were before but you have not recovered: you still don't have the 1bn you lost in year 1
    Over the course of a decade or so, I would not expect to see much difference in the UK's economic performance inside or outside the EU.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Mr. Dawning, You wouldn't consider the idea that for as long as I have been on here (2007) I have been reading posts that UKIP are irrelevant? Yet we seem to having a referendum this month, why do you think that is?

Maybe I am just getting old and senile (Herself thinks so) but I am beginning to see the truth in the old idea that the influence of power is actually trumped by the power of influence.
    Mr Llama, UKIP were united - powerfully so - by a single aim: annulling Britain's membership of the EU. There's no unity whatsoever about what happens next. We've everything from turning Britain into the free-trade capital of the planet, with all the immigration and hullabaloo that would entail, to raising the drawbridge and returning to a time when the AA saluted. UKIP will soon be a party without a purpose.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited June 2016
    Would he call a GE?

It's easy to say "Of course, he'd win big" but a GE at any time is a risk. And if there is economic uncertainty which causes the pound / house prices / stock markets to fall, that isn't a good time to have a GE.

Surely he would say: "The public have elected a majority Con Government and the public have voted to leave the EU. We have a massive job now over the next two years to leave the EU on the best possible terms and we are going to get on with that - right now, without any distractions".

Also remember - the first 3 months after the referendum will have been taken up with the Con leadership election. Is it then going to make sense for a further significant period to be taken up with a GE?

Finally, if it's Boris - he's plotted his whole life to be PM. Why risk losing it as soon as he's got it? And he would be guaranteed to have a momentous term in office - he would know that he would be the PM to take the UK out of the EU - because he would know that we would be out before a GE in 2020.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Thanks for the friendly comments. Incidentally, worth remembering that there's an election BEFORE the 23rd - the Tooting by-election on Thursday week. Seems to be going well for the red team, according to second-hand info, but I've not been down there yet.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Over the course of a decade or so, I would not expect to see much difference in the UK's economic performance inside or outside the EU.
    That does rather depend on growth being above trend for a few years, but that wasn't my point. When you say "Over the course of a decade...I would not expect to see much difference in the UK's economic performance", do you mean

a) "the total amount of stuff produced over the decade will be about the same", or
    b "the growth rate at the end of the decade will be the same as at the beginning"?

The two sentences don't mean the same thing. Which one did you mean?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Good article NP, if Leave win it will almost certainly be Boris as PM and Gove as Chancellor with an election in a year or so which Boris would most likely win though the exit negotiations will be an easy ride
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Wanderer said:

I used to be of that view about the election but I've come round to thinking that Labour would have to vote for one or see extreme disillusionment from their rank and file who believe fervently that Corbyn is popular and an election winnable.
    I cannot see the rank and file wanting an election unless the polls look good. More likely that Labour would seek to humiliate Boris by forcing him to pass a Vote of No Confidence in his own Government.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Nick,

Following your prognostications to their logical conclusion, the only way for Labour to get into power before 2020 is to vote Leave. That's if you have faith in your leader.

Ah, I see the problem now.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

'This can’t be avoided. It will take at least two months to elect a new leader, and since that puts us into late August, realistically it’s going to be September.'

It can be avoided.

In view of the urgency of the situation the parliamentary party may decide to have an unopposed election as they did with Michael Howard.

A Remain candidate will have no chance,Gove doesn't want the job so that leaves Boris.

Why not Gove as a short term Leader/PM for 6 weeks - 2 months over the summer to allow the election to take place and rivals to set out their stall? Gove can then run with the same cabinet which is to work on options for exiting the EU. No Article 50 trigger until a new PM is inplace.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

weejonnie said:

Mr Llama, UKIP were united - powerfully so - by a single aim: annulling Britain's membership of the EU. There's no unity whatsoever about what happens next. We've everything from turning Britain into the free-trade capital of the planet, with all the immigration and hullabaloo that would entail, to raising the drawbridge and returning to a time when the AA saluted. UKIP will soon be a party without a purpose.
    In one sense I agree with you, UKIP in its present form is finished, for several reasons. But that leaves millions of people who want a small state, low taxes, control of population and above all else value the freedom of individuals over the power of the state. Those people need a home and they'll find one, most at the expense of the Conservative Party which is irretrievably broken.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    john_zims said:

It can be avoided.

I agree, there could be a coronation.

Also, the EU will want to calm the markets as well. The last thing they need is their industry put at threat by short term worries.

I rather suspect that on June the 24th there will be soothing noises, promises that change will be managed and deals done.

Much regret that it has come to this and so on an so forth.

Then the negotiations will happen, which will be a bit awkward because free movement can't be on the table (UK leave side) or off it (EU side).

The best way forward after some blunt behind the scenes discussions would be a UK net contribution of say £4 billion dressed up in some way then quietly forgotten or inflated away later with full reciprocal access to markets but we will see what happens.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Tales from the Front

I have just got back from my first canvassing session in SE London. It was in a ward with Conservative counsellors in a Conservative constituency, and was just over 60% for Leave. Lots were out, but encouraging nonetheless.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Why does free trade require mass migration?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Mortimer said:

Scott might know....
    We're all The Wrong Sort of Tories.

Is he even a member? Never seen him say so.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

weejonnie said:

Because global non-isolationist companies, in a global non-isolationist nation will seek the best employees globally.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited June 2016
    Isn't one problem in (trying) to call a GE that Boris won't know for sure what Labour would do?

I'm not sure of details but if Con (obviously deliberately) lose a vote of confidence doesn't Corbyn then get the chance to form a Government? If so, he could insist on being given that chance and wouldn't the whole thing then become incredibly messy?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Very fair point, Mr Dawning. If UKIP are to survive a Leave vote in the longer term then it will, I think, l have to transform itself into a party of the people the Conservative and Labour Parties no longer seem to care about. Whether it wants to or could is moot.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Because global non-isolationist companies, in a global non-isolationist nation will seek the best employees globally.
    I see. Well, they will not get them and will have to work with what they've got. (Aside from a limited number of high skill people on a points based system)
  • Options

Then the electorate will do their deselection for them....
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

That does rather depend on growth being above trend for a few years, but that wasn't my point. When you say "Over the course of a decade...I would not expect to see much difference in the UK's economic performance", do you mean

a) "the total amount of stuff produced over the decade will be about the same", or
    b "the growth rate at the end of the decade will be the same as at the beginning"?

What I mean is that taking the decade as a whole, I would expect overall economic growth, prices, and employment to have been much the same, regardless of whether we were In or Out.
  • Options
    Charles said:

FTP

@HurstLlama - you haven't upset me - just that my Mum's family was running the East India Company and my Dad's messing about in the City at the time you mentioned: you manged to clock them both around the head at the same time... The City has a role in redeploying the nation's savings in the most effective way. In many countries that's just in domestic industry; we have a much broader perspective reflecting our global heritage. In fact I think until something like the mid 2000s, the dividends on overseas investments that our Victorian ancestors made exceeded the payments we were making on foreign investments in the UK.

@Topping: Easy - some short term disruption, but within 3-5 years we will be back to where we were before and then, long-term, will outperform as we can optimise the economic arrangements for our particular needs

I do love your posts. They're all so marvellously *heritage*.

No one else - since Mark of @Easterross fame has the credentials.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    test massage
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Tales from the Front

I have just got back from my first canvassing session in SE London. It was in a ward with Conservative counsellors in a Conservative constituency, and was just over 60% for Leave. Lots were out, but encouraging nonetheless.

SE London is Bromley and Bexley so that sounds about right.
  • Options

There's no ignorance - we're talking about EU immigration. Seriously, this is a pretty sophisticated audience - pretending we're knuckle draggers because we disagree isn't going to convince anyone.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/06/03/upshot/up-college-unemployment-quiz.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below&_r=0

- mentions Google surveys - I have never heard of them but I am a luddite.

"A report by the Pew Research Center found that the results from Google’s surveys are typically quite similar to the results from Pew’s telephone surveys"
  • Options
    john_zims said:

It can be avoided.

Didn't think I'd say this - but Gove as a Howard interim would work.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "But predictions can’t sensibly go further than that."

LOL. They might not even be able sensibly to go that far.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

In one sense I agree with you, UKIP in its present form is finished, for several reasons. But that leaves millions of people who want a small state, low taxes, control of population and above all else value the freedom of individuals over the power of the state. Those people need a home and they'll find one, most at the expense of the Conservative Party which is irretrievably broken.
    I don't see much evidence of small-stateism in UKIP. If anything their line is that by annulling EU membership it will free up resources for state expansion. Hence talk of pumping more cash into the NHS and welfare payments for the natives. Of course this makes sense in a way. If they are to survive post-Brexit (which I doubt) they'll need to find favour in the old Labour industrial rust belt. (Southern Tories, I think, find them a bit tacky and ill-bred.) Not much scope for intellectually pure small-state theory up there.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

I see. Well, they will not get them and will have to work with what they've got. (Aside from a limited number of high skill people on a points based system)
    Crikey, that would mean companies working in the UK would actually have to invest in training people. They won't like that.
  • Options
    The other thing that is totally missing from the above is that negotiating trade with the EU is only a small part of the job. (Less than 50%).

The other part is negotiating with other trade partners, perhaps starting with Mexico (the other home of the Cornish pasty) and New Zealand who have already expressed an interest. The idea should be that by the time (or preferably before) we actually leave the current arrangement we have several deals in place with others to follow.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good article NP, if Leave win it will almost certainly be Boris as PM and Gove as Chancellor with an election in a year or so which Boris would most likely win though the exit negotiations will be an easy ride

Wibble. Are you a Tory member? If so, would you vote for him?

We've had dozens and dozens of Boris As Next Leader threads over the years. I've seen little evidence amongst Tory members for it. There's none on here.

Colour me very sceptical.
  • Options

Crikey, that would mean companies working in the UK would actually have to invest in training people. They won't like that.
    Quite. Tough. Some do though, look at Nissan for example. It may also mean that we may have to look more at apprenticeship schemes and the like (though they are already there and expanding)
  • Options

weejonnie said:

I don't see much evidence of small-stateism in UKIP. If anything their line is that by annulling EU membership it will free up resources for state expansion. Hence talk of pumping more cash into the NHS and welfare payments for the natives. Of course this makes sense in a way. If they are to survive post-Brexit (which I doubt) they'll need to find favour in the old Labour industrial rust belt. (Southern Tories, I think, find them a bit tacky and ill-bred.) Not much scope for intellectually pure small-state theory up there.

You miss my point, I suspect deliberately, as I've already told you that Ukip are finished. But that leaves 4m who voted for them at the GE and lots of other sympathisers, among them tribalists that would never vote for the political enemy.

Ukip will disband, but they leave millions of supporters looking for a home, a gap in the market.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

so lets put e.u migrants under the same system and get rid of our racist immigration system we have now.
  • Options

The other thing that is totally missing from the above is that negotiating trade with the EU is only a small part of the job. (Less than 50%).

The other part is negotiating with other trade partners, perhaps starting with Mexico (the other home of the Cornish pasty) and New Zealand who have already expressed an interest. The idea should be that by the time (or preferably before) we actually leave the current arrangement we have several deals in place with others to follow.

We are going to need to expand the FCO, that is for sure. Can the new PM cut the DfID budget or is it enshrined in law? If not which department is going to take the hit? How quickly can we get new people of the right calibre and the right training into the FCO?

The more I think about it, with my old Civil Service hat on, the more complex the problem of negotiating our way out of the EU becomes. No wonder the CS is so against it.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Tales from the Front

which constituency please?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

What I mean is that taking the decade as a whole, I would expect overall economic growth, prices, and employment to have been much the same, regardless of whether we were In or Out.
    Gahh, the terminology is doing my head in -"overall growth"?. Do you think the total amount of stuff produced over the decade will be about the same or not?

[EDIT: I'm coming across as too agressive here, for which I apologise. It's just that the phraseology leads itself to ambiguity. Please feel free to tell me to fuckoff if I'm getting too interrogative]
  • Options
    nunu said:

so lets put e.u migrants under the same system and get rid of our racist immigration system we have now.
    You think Nigel won't say that when he's on ITV with Cameron?He'll expose the discrimination currently in places.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    Cyclefree said:

Well, I have now received my first ever postal vote ballot paper.

:)

And mine arrived yesterday in Malaysia. They even supply an air mail envelope for its return but I'll not risk leaving its posting to the last minute. It goes back for Remain on Monday.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Quite. How Remainers can defend this perplexes me. Bring in the smart, ambitious and articulate from wherever - not just 27 others who are almost all Caucasian. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

Wibble. Are you a Tory member? If so, would you vote for him?

We've had dozens and dozens of Boris As Next Leader threads over the years. I've seen little evidence amongst Tory members for it. There's none on here.

Colour me very sceptical.
    The latest poll has Gove first, Boris second with members but Gove is unlikely to run
  • Options

We are going to need to expand the FCO, that is for sure. Can the new PM cut the DfID budget or is it enshrined in law? If not which department is going to take the hit? How quickly can we get new people of the right calibre and the right training into the FCO?

The more I think about it, with my old Civil Service hat on, the more complex the problem of negotiating our way out of the EU becomes. No wonder the CS is so against it.
    I would have thought it would be a joint DTI/FCO (and possibly treasury) effort.

I expect there would be some open doors to knock on as well.

What is the CS?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    PlatoSaid said:

How Remainers can defend this perplexes me. Bring in the smart, ambitious and articulate from wherever - not just 27 others who are almost all Caucasian. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.

There were more non-EU than EU migrants last year

How Brexiteers can claim this is racist perplexes me. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Gahh, the terminology is doing my head in -"overall growth"?. Do you think the total amount of stuff produced over the decade will be about the same or not?

[EDIT: I'm coming across as too agressive here, for which I apologise. It's just that the phraseology leads itself to ambiguity. Please feel free to tell me to fuckoff if I'm getting too interrogative]
    fuckoff if you're getting too interrogative.

There you go, I did it for you.

I suspect Sean means that the net output of the economy in GDP terms (most of which isn't made of stuff we make but services) will be the same in 10 years time regardless.

I think that will depend on how fast we negotiate our own trade deals. We could be up out by comparison if we do so quickly.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

weejonnie said:

Mr Llama, UKIP were united - powerfu
    In on
    'You miss my point, I suspect deliberately, as I've already told you that Ukip are finished. But that leaves 4m who voted for them at the GE and lots of other sympathisers, among them tribalists that would never vote for the political enemy.

Ukip will disband, but they leave millions of supporters looking for a home, a gap in the market.'

Farage has promised to cut spending, especially on overseas aid and take the top tax rate back to 40%, he has also pushed for more insurance in healthcare provision and a contributory approach to welfare but as the party has tried to appeal to Labour voters too that has got a little pushed to the side. If Leave win the Tory Party will move to the right so there will be less need for a small-state party and with the UK out of the EU UKIP will gradually disband. If Remain win narrowly UKIP will be stronger than ever and become the main focus of resistance to Cameron and Osborne
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Good article Nick, very plausible too.

I have always thought Boris will win the Tory leadership election, and nothing so far has dissuaded me.
  • Options
    Any movements on the betting markets this afternoon ahead of Opinium (and possibly other polls?)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Quite. How Remainers can defend this perplexes me. Bring in the smart, ambitious and articulate from wherever - not just 27 others who are almost all Caucasian. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.
    The numbers are such that to get immigration down to the 10s of thousands you are going to have to exclude many smart ambitious people from everywhere and completely stop any immigration for any other reasons including marriage , close relatives , asylum etc etc .
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

PlatoSaid said:

How Remainers can defend this perplexes me. Bring in the smart, ambitious and articulate from wherever - not just 27 others who are almost all Caucasian. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.

There were more non-EU than EU migrants last year

How Brexiteers can claim this is racist perplexes me. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.
    I refuse to use the word racism but the discrimination is self evident, people are people and should be treated equally, EU citizens get preferential treatment which is massively unfair.

Unless of course you disagree?
  • Options

I would have thought it would be a joint DTI/FCO (and possibly treasury) effort.

What is the CS?
    Without a doubt getting out of the EU will involve every department of government but the lead will have to be taken by the FCO, which is not terribly well-staffed or funded at the moment to do its existing job.

Don't get me wrong I am all for leaving the EU and have been for twenty years or more, but I was just thinking through what it would mean in terms of process.

The CS is the Civil Service, sorry.
  • Options
    You're painting a very scary picture, Nick, with this thread. :( Boris Johnson as Prime Minister is not an experiment that I think the UK can afford to put into practice.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

The numbers are such that to get immigration down to the 10s of thousands you are going to have to exclude many smart ambitious people from everywhere and completely stop any immigration for any other reasons including marriage , close relatives , asylum etc etc .
    Close relatives - please define
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,008
    Interesting piece, Mr. Palmer. I disagree on Boris being all but guaranteed a spot in the final two, though.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Not being racist and successfully getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands are two separate points.

Personally I couldn't care less about getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands (and have said so repeatedly). I do not like racism. What about you? Do you care about getting immigration down? Do you support having a racist policy?
  • Options
    I think Gove has a good chance to be leader now.
  • Options

What is the CS?
    Without a doubt getting out of the EU will involve every department of government but the lead will have to be taken by the FCO, which is not terribly well-staffed or funded at the moment to do its existing job.

Don't get me wrong I am all for leaving the EU and have been for twenty years or more, but I was just thinking through what it would mean in terms of process.

Ah. Well the civil service are sort of conservative but all in capitals, underlined and in bold.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Close relatives - please define
    Parents , children .
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GIN1138 said:

Any movements on the betting markets this afternoon ahead of Opinium (and possibly other polls?)

Very slight shift to IN on Betfair
  • Options

What is the CS?

Ah. Well the civil service are sort of conservative but all in capitals, underlined and in bold.
    The Civil Service is conservative but without a capital c. Just underlined and in bold.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Very slight shift to IN on Betfair
    You mean REMAIN? ;)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

Thanks for the friendly comments. Incidentally, worth remembering that there's an election BEFORE the 23rd - the Tooting by-election on Thursday week. Seems to be going well for the red team, according to second-hand info, but I've not been down there yet.

Safe Labour seat :)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Not being racist and successfully getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands are two separate points.

Personally I couldn't care less about getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands (and have said so repeatedly). I do not like racism. What about you? Do you care about getting immigration down? Do you support having a racist policy?
    No and No
This discussion has been closed.