Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot: Politics after Brexit

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

You know things must be getting desperate for remain when they have to wheel out windbag kinnock to try and reach labour voters. The man who lost an election twice

After pleading to pensioners in SAGA magazine and threaten WW3, we'll never host the Olympics or WCup again...I'm not sure what's left for Remain.
    Santa will be barred from visiting the UK on Xmas eve?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,572
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 21m21 minutes ago
    Anyone know why all the bookies have suddenly started shifting odds back to Remain? Is there a new poll coming out?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

You know things must be getting desperate for remain when they have to wheel out windbag kinnock to try and reach labour voters. The man who lost an election twice

After pleading to pensioners in SAGA magazine and threaten WW3, we'll never host the Olympics or WCup again...I'm not sure what's left for Remain.
    Won't get enough points on the new visa scheme.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Of course. Isn't that the whole rationale behind Brexit which is based on promoting self interest before considering wider issues.

I guess most of you Brexit lot do not like our contribution to overseas aid. Many of you are climate change sceptics. Most think benefits are too high. Most would like to tear up the Human Rights Act. Most do not like the Social Chapter. Many of you would like to ban Islamic refugees even though many are children and families fleeing for their lives. You can count amongst your allies lovely groups like the EDL and BNP, and the Countryside Alliance, and pro hunting groups.

Get my drift comrade. You Brexiteers are by and large a mean spirited and selfish lot, and some of you are really quite unpleasant- though I am not saying you personally are Morris.

Mr. Tyson, you consider me mean-spirited and selfish?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jessicaelgot: Sadiq Khan could go head-to-head with Boris Johnson in EU debate https://t.co/AU1w61jtO2
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Anyone know why all the bookies have suddenly started shifting odds back to Remain? Is there a new poll coming out?

Isn't that merely a function of money being placed? There is a poll coming out, I read below. Not sure if it will be before or after the interviews, which most people went favourably for Leave.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    weejonnie said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

@LadPolitics: Ladbrokes: For the first time, there is now more money being staked on LEAVE than REMAIN https://t.co/dBSaS48UIu

CROSS-OVER!!!!
    when you look at the trend of opinion polling (the trend is your friend!) :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#/media/File:UK_EU_referendum_polling.svg

and now Ladbrokes saying more money going on Leave than Remain, one wonders whether we have hit CROSSOVER, with the undecideds falling away in Leave's favour , and Leave on the incline overall , Remain on the decline, if this can be sustained over the next three weeks , we could be heading for a narrow Leave win. However, I'm sure a "Vow" will be produced to twist arms before the big vote.
    The VOW was produce 13 weeks ago or so - in the Form of Cameron saying that if he didn't get a good negotiation result from the EU he would recommend we leave.

So maybe we should call it a BROKEN VOW.

Nothing Cameron says now can help Remain. It has gone beyond his control and is now in the lap of the gods.
    I'm beginning to think its worse than that for Cameron,not only is it out of his control, his contributions are now perceived as negative. He has to face Farage with immigration the red hot topic, he's toast.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Indigo said:

weejonnie said:

Your prognostications seem generally sound Nick, except I don't think Boris could initiate a 2017 General Election as blithely as you think. More likely he will kick off the negotiations and then govern as normal with them going on in the background for many years. I suspect we'll end up with some kind of quasi-EU-membership arrangement barely distinguishable from what we have now, but by then everyone will have forgotten about June 2016 so it won't matter.

We'll have nearly 4 years of negotiation - and you can be sure UKIP will keep the pressure on if it appears that the UK is giving up too much.
    UKIP will be utterly irrelevant by then, possibly even non-existent. But they're only equipped to agitate about the raw, simple stuff anyway: In or Out; Yes or No; Good or Evil. Intervening in the fussy, drawn-out and laborious process of international trade diplomacy would be beyond their functionality. They don't even know what they want to replace EU membership with now. How can they possibly stick their oar in post-Brexit?
    Mr. Dawning, You wouldn't consider the idea that for as long as I have been on here (2007) I have been reading posts that UKIP are irrelevant? Yet we seem to having a referendum this month, why do you think that is?

Maybe I am just getting old and senile (Herself thinks so) but I am beginning to see the truth in the old idea that the influence of power is actually trumped by the power of influence.
    Mr Llama, UKIP were united - powerfully so - by a single aim: annulling Britain's membership of the EU. There's no unity whatsoever about what happens next. We've everything from turning Britain into the free-trade capital of the planet, with all the immigration and hullabaloo that would entail, to raising the drawbridge and returning to a time when the AA saluted. UKIP will soon be a party without a purpose.
    Why does free trade require mass migration?
    Because global non-isolationist companies, in a global non-isolationist nation will seek the best employees globally.
    Horseshit, America seems to be doing fine without free movement with anyone.
    Who said sod all about free movement?

America does have mass migration.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

Won't get enough points Ison the new visa scheme.
    Isn't Santa Turkish?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

I've been thinking about an interim position on tariffs before trade deals are in place. Could we adopt a position to put in place mirror tariffs by default - I.e. We set tariffs at the same rate others set on us. If they set 0%, we set 0%. If they go punitive, so do we. The incentive therefore is for everyone to go low. Thoughts?

The WTO most favoured nation tariffs on our exports would be £4.6 billion, and theres would be around £8.6 billion.

In that sense our membership of the EU is a sort of buy one, pay for two deal... (We pay twice that in net contributions)

So that could makes sense.
    I think the biggest potential impact on economic growth other than the issues discussed ad nauseum about trade deals is deregulation. By shedding the most ludicrous or Europe-centric of the EC directives, we would both reduce administrative burden on companies, and enable them to compete more effectively in some sectors in emerging markets where the cost of compliance with EC directives makes our products uncompetitive.
    Some could be got rid of which would help to revive some businesses.
    As an Out-er, I'm always intrigued by this question: what could be removed?

I would welcome the end of VAT-mess. And re-opting out of the Social Chapter. But what else is there? I'm a small business person many times over (CrowdScores, PythonAnywhere, THS Partners, Genius Sports Group), and I must confess that - other than in the case of VAT-mess - I simply haven't run up against EU regulations in any of my businesses*.

* Requirements for data to reside in the EU may change that down the line.
    Clinical trials directive is one, then the one that says modern art can't be sold in the EU without a levy to the artist which means they are sold offshore. Many of the regulations are daft.
    Robert - were all your start ups in the service sectors? If so, I think you'd have had a different experience if you'd been manufacturing or trading in goods.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

Easy. Say that Brexit will lead to an outbreak of bestiality and then Santa's reindeer will refuse to visit the UK.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

Won't get enough points on the new visa scheme.
    As Labour MP Pat Glass said - too white, male and old to listen to?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Crikey, that would mean companies working in the UK would actually have to invest in training people. They won't like that.

A bit of Bennery which I quite liked and got serious consideration under Blair before rejection was a compulsory training levy, the proceeds of which would be available to any company (or college) operating an approved training scheme, which they could open to outside trainees. So someone like Honda could make a profit from having a good engineering training scheme, while XYZ Engineering, which coudn't be bothered to give their staff any additional training could simply pay the levy and have Honda train them instead.

Lots of practical difficulties (which is why Blair rejected it, apart from his wariness of the state interfering) - need for approval, availability of local schemes, etc. But the idea that you have to give your staff training but can choose whether to do it yourself seemed essentially sound, as opposed to the current situation where companies who don't train poach staff from companies that do.
    Quite. Something could be done one way or another though. Importing people to leave people on lower incomes or the dole just doesn't make sense to me.

I thought politicians were supposed to look after the electorate they had.
    That's where the racism comes in.

I see. So looking after the electorate you have is racist?

Glad we've cleared that up.
    Half the electorate are racist, apparently. Including LD and Labour voters. Isn't it simply awful - who knew?
    Quite. And people wonder why people don't vote. Why would you if looking after the welfare of the voter is racist?
    Wow! Thanks to Innocenta Broad, I've learned today that the old maxim "Charity starts at home" is racist. Have to stop teaching it to the kids.
    To the left, particularly Libdems it is.

They regard the whole concept of giving precedence to your own nation familiy or tribe/community as inherently discriminating.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    "Number 10 is reported to be concerned about the balance of the audience at the Wembley event, which will be moderated by Question Time’s David Dimbleby, the Today programme’s Mishal Husain and Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis. "

Sign of weakness there - mind you at least they have the BBC to ensure the audience is evenly balanced - 99.9% Remain, 0.1% undecided but leaning Remain.
  • Options
    Plato, you really are quite unforgiving and thin skinned.
    PlatoSaid said:

Frankly, I find @tyson one of the most narrow-minded, selfish, rude, empty virtue signallers on here.

Anyone who wouldn't be friends with someone holding an alternative political view is just weird. And rather totalitarian.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Of course. Isn't that the whole rationale behind Brexit which is based on promoting self interest before considering wider issues.

I guess most of you Brexit lot do not like our contribution to overseas aid. Many of you are climate change sceptics. Most think benefits are too high. Most would like to tear up the Human Rights Act. Most do not like the Social Chapter. Many of you would like to ban Islamic refugees even though many are children and families fleeing for their lives. You can count amongst your allies lovely groups like the EDL and BNP, and the Countryside Alliance, and pro hunting groups.

Get my drift comrade. You Brexiteers are by and large a mean spirited and selfish lot, and some of you are really quite unpleasant- though I am not saying you personally are Morris.

Toys, cot, throw
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

"Number 10 is reported to be concerned about the balance of the audience at the Wembley event, which will be moderated by Question Time’s David Dimbleby, the Today programme’s Mishal Husain and Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis. "

Sign of weakness there - mind you at least they have the BBC to ensure the audience is evenly balanced - 99.9% Remain, 0.1% undecided but leaning Remain.

If it's like the EU debate I attended earlier this week, then things could get pretty ugly. Lots of yelling of 'lies', and other boorish behaviour from Leavers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    tyson said:

Whereas you're so noble and selfless, I take it?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    weejonnie said:

Any guesses as to where Dimbleby's, Husain's and Maitlis' sympathies might lie ?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

FPT: An astonishing level of ignorance on here about our immigration system. Non-EU migrants have already been subject to a points based system and levies for using the NHS for the past 5 years.

so lets put e.u migrants under the same system and get rid of our racist immigration system we have now.
    Quite. How Remainers can defend this perplexes me. Bring in the smart, ambitious and articulate from wherever - not just 27 others who are almost all Caucasian. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.
    The numbers are such that to get immigration down to the 10s of thousands you are going to have to exclude many smart ambitious people from everywhere and completely stop any immigration for any other reasons including marriage , close relatives , asylum etc etc .
    Not being racist and successfully getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands are two separate points.

Personally I couldn't care less about getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands (and have said so repeatedly). I do not like racism. What about you? Do you care about getting immigration down? Do you support having a racist policy?
    No and No
    So you do not oppose removing our current racist policy then?
    They are only racist to someone with a warped mind such as you .
    Discrimination isn't the slightest bit racist in your eyes?
    Several years ago, I tried to organise a Sussex PB dinner - Mr Senior made loads of excuses why he wasn't available no matter what date I suggested. I came to the conclusion that he considered anyone other than LDs were unworthy and too dirty to associate with.
    I'm in Sussex. (Mid)
    Me too, Mr. White, though in Arundel and South Downs Constituency.

Perhaps we should try again for a Sussex PB meet, though because of my eyes it would have to be a lunch rather than a dinner and somewhere I can get to by public transport.

What say you, Miss Plato, Square Root, Mark Senior, Richard Nabavi, Jonathan, and any other Sussex PBers whose names I have, for the moment, forgotten? Lunch in, say, Brighton? We could go to Days and be cheap, cheerful and fattening or perhaps go up market and invite a guest speaker. I do know of a nice pub a stone's throw from the Station that does OK food and first class beer. Open to ideas.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    tyson said:

Wanker
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221

You can sense the Remainers are getting twitchy. Desperate for any bit of good news. As Isam would say, longing for a throw in to cheer.
  • Options

MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

Isn't Santa Turkish?
    St George was Syrian
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited June 2016

To the left, particularly Libdems it is.

They regard the whole concept of giving precedence to your own nation familiy or tribe/community as inherently discriminating.

Is a curious point of view, since the issue at stake is nationality which is increasingly dissimilar to race.

Politicians in my view should be representing the interests of those that elected them, which includes inter alia British Asians, British Africans, British Americans, British Indians, British Pakistanis, British Inuit, and anyone that has, or reasonable can expect to form part of the franchise, it most emphatically has nothing to do with race much as our lefty friends and increasingly desparate remainers would like to suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

Syrian troops enter Raqqa province: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36452094

Looking at the map they are coordinating to cut off the remaining route to the Turkish border. If they can do that, that will be a big win.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

FPT: An astonishing level of ignorance on here about our immigration system. Non-EU migrants have already been subject to a points based system and levies for using the NHS for the past 5 years.

so lets put e.u migrants under the same system and get rid of our racist immigration system we have now.
    Quite. How Remainers can defend this perplexes me. Bring in the smart, ambitious and articulate from wherever - not just 27 others who are almost all Caucasian. It's a fatal flaw in their argument.
    The numbers are such that to get immigration down to the 10s of thousands you are going to have to exclude many smart ambitious people from everywhere and completely stop any immigration for any other reasons including marriage , close relatives , asylum etc etc .
    Not being racist and successfully getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands are two separate points.

Personally I couldn't care less about getting immigration down to the 10s of thousands (and have said so repeatedly). I do not like racism. What about you? Do you care about getting immigration down? Do you support having a racist policy?
    No and No
    snip
    I'm in Sussex. (Mid)

Perhaps we should try again for a Sussex PB meet, though because of my eyes it would have to be a lunch rather than a dinner and somewhere I can get to by public transport.

What say you, Miss Plato, Square Root, Mark Senior, Richard Nabavi, Jonathan, and any other Sussex PBers whose names I have, for the moment, forgotten? Lunch in, say, Brighton? We could go to Days and be cheap, cheerful and fattening or perhaps go up market and invite a guest speaker. I do know of a nice pub a stone's throw from the Station that does OK food and first class beer. Open to ideas.
    Love to. I'm not that picky :wink:
  • Options
    Interesting new ballot paper for the EU Ref sighted ;)

http://i.imgur.com/Qm5Q1TX.jpg
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

Easy. Say that Brexit will lead to an outbreak of bestiality and then Santa's reindeer will refuse to visit the UK.
    Brexit will turn the UK into a scene like the Thriller video, but without the dancing.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Syrian troops enter Raqqa province: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36452094

Looking at the map they are coordinating to cut off the remaining route to the Turkish border. If they can do that, that will be a big win.
    More bad news for Dodgy Dave.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    tyson said:

Plato, you really are quite unforgiving and thin skinned.

PlatoSaid said:

Frankly, I find @tyson one of the most narrow-minded, selfish, rude, empty virtue signallers on here.

Anyone who wouldn't be friends with someone holding an alternative political view is just weird. And rather totalitarian.
    No, her assessment of you is spot on.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

:lol:
  • Options
    Indigo said:

The way Cameron has played his referendum surprised it isn't the official one!
  • Options
    Thank you very much for rather reinforcing my claim.

I was rather hoping that someone could make a progressive and optimistic case for Brexit, but there you go. Too much to ask

tyson said:

Wanker
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,280

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

No and No
    Discrimination may be caused by a number of factors but race does not have to be one of them .
    So why are we granting free movement to all the impoverished Eastern European Caucasian Christian nations but not to Turkey or similar?
    Because the former are in the EU and Turkey is not .
    That is a truism. It is a statement of fact it is not a reason why we should discriminate this way.
    This is false naïveté. Leavers are always banging on about how federalism and ever closer union and then feign ignorance about the practical manifestations.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

Brexit will turn the UK into a scene like the Thriller video, but without the dancing.
    I've bought extra pillow cases/sheets, and cutting eyeholes right now. Timber crosses are scheduled for DIY tomorow.

One can't be too prepared.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

No it isn't about promoting self interest. It is about having a level playing field for all people. Something that doesn't exist under the racist, protectionist system that you support.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. Tyson, well, I don't consider myself to be mean-spirited or selfish.

It's entirely possible for reasonable men to be presented with the same evidence and reach differing conclusions without one side being necessarily immoral.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

A win for whom and a loss for whom?
  • Options

MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

kjohnw said:

Isn't Santa Turkish?
    St George was Syrian
    Probably. The fact he is still patron Saint of England is, in my view, a disgrace. He was foisted to us by the Norman clique that held sway after the conquest.

We should go back to St Edmund, a proper English saint and whilst about it we could dump the white duster of his flag and re-introduce England's proper flag - the White Dragon.
  • Options

tyson said:

No it isn't about promoting self interest. It is about having a level playing field for all people. Something that doesn't exist under the racist, protectionist system that you support.
    Racist how?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Afternoon, everyone. (Or is it time to Good evening?)
  • Options

A win for whom and a loss for whom?
    Well hopefully it will stop ISIS supporters being able to freely move back and forth between turkey & Syria, which has to be a good thing. Obviously it is alien vs predator when it comes to the outcome of the civil war, whoever wins nobody wins.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, point of order: it was Edward III who made the shift to George at the expense of Edmund (and someone else whose name escapes me). It's debatable whether Edward III could be considered Norman, I think.

Miss Plato, as Mr. Tyson pointed out, I'm bad, I'm bad, I know it, I'm bad :p
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Thought provoking article. Another factor surely is an early election in 2017 will be dire for Labour in terms of finances. Or have things improved of late?

The mountain of debt has been largely paid off and obviously membership income is way up, but the big individual donors are thinner on the ground than before. I don't think it'd be a decisive factor.

On the outcome if Remain win, my personal view is that Cameron will still call it a day - I can't see there's much in it for him but grief if he hangs around for another year or two. But it opens the door for a Remain candidate to succeed him, and May has to be the big favourite in that case - stable, reliable and avoiding burning too many boats with Leavers. I would expect her to make a friendly gesture to Leavers, perhaps also making Gove Chancellor and giving Osborne the Foreign Office. At that point, attention might switch to Labour's dilemmas, with an awkward conference debate on Trident on top of the general unresolved issues.

The resolution of the issue into "no change" will produce a stock market and sterling bounce, and I'd expect things to calm down for a while, but the structural problems of the economy will still be there (and helped by a stronger pound), and I'd think that the usual mid-term blues would set in after a year or so. But it's much easier to see a relatively smooth path for the Government for a while. Unhappy Leavers have been focusing their fire on Cameron personally, and when he goes I think quite a bit of the bitterness will dissipate, especially if Remain wins by a non-trivial margin.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

It's a good evening so far. 11/1 in the Derby. Gutted I didn't bet against Serena.

Should I lump the winnings on Andy?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

You can sense the Remainers are getting twitchy. Desperate for any bit of good news. As Isam would say, longing for a throw in to cheer.
    They should be getting twitchy. It feels very much like Leave are on their way to surprise (to the media and commentators) win to me.
  • Options
    Richard- on the Brexit side, you have people like Donald Trump, Putin, Farage, the EDL, the BNP, hard left communists, the countryside alliance, Liam Fox, Bill Cash, the Daily Mail, Rupert Murdoch....and on the other Obama, the Pope, DC, Hilary Benn, Merkel, Ken Clarke etc....

If you were watching Brexit the movie...the Brexit group would hardly come across as the good guys.

The worst part of the Brexit campaign is that they disingenuously take up populist causes- more funding to the NHS, workers rights etc....when actually when you look at the ragtag mishaps that make up Brexit- the majority of them would gladly privatise the NHS, and tear up any sense of workers rights.

tyson said:

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

No and No
    Several years ago, I tried to organise a Sussex PB dinner - Mr Senior made loads of excuses why he wasn't available no matter what date I suggested. I came to the conclusion that he considered anyone other than LDs were unworthy and too dirty to associate with.
    That's a little unfair - I feel sure Mark Senior would be happy to associate with Labourites although definitely not with Tories against whom he's always most hostile.
  • Options
    tyson said:

actually when you look at the ragtag mishaps that make up Brexit- the majority of them would gladly privatise the NHS, and tear up any sense of workers rights.

The more sensible Labour MPs have been making these points. Luckily for Brexit nobody is listening to them.
  • Options
    In Italy we say Good Evening after 12.00 lunch time. So definitely Buonasera from here
    AnneJGP said:

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I heard last week that there were serious voices in favour of Hilary Benn. I know this doesn't cut much ice with Labour members but if he's popular with his own MP's and they can see a chance winning even at their most suicidal it must be tempting.

And if it is Boris in 2017 and he's forced into an election Benn would be in an ideal position to win. Particularly if things go as badly as expected after Brexit

Boris would beat Benn especially as the electorate themselves voted for Brexit
    Wouldn't that rather depend on how Brexit is working out in practice?.

The high point for Leave will be the day it wins the ref (if it does) - down hill all the way after that.

The fickle electorate will rapidly switch from blaming all their woes on the EU (as do they now orchestrated by the right wing press) to blaming all their woes on Brexit.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339

tlg86 said:

They should be getting twitchy. It feels very much like Leave are on their way to surprise (to the media and commentators) win to me.
    Yes, I fear you're right. I can see it now: the suited and hunched figure of David Cameron, filmed from a distance, as he stalks into Number 10 for the emergency cabinet meeting; Nigel Farage with pint in hand, face glistening with tears: 'This is, without doubt, the happiest day of my life'. It's going to happen.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Wishful thinking?
  • Options
    He'd be very lonely amongst only LD's. I don't think there are any left.

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

No and No
    That's a little unfair - I feel sure Mark Senior would be happy to associate with Labourites although definitely not with Tories against whom he's always most hostile.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

Erm... you are aware that the US is a union of 50 states with free movement and a single currency?

• Options
    tyson said:

He'd be very lonely amongst only LD's. I don't think there are any left.

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

No and No
    What about our genial host?
  • Options

Mr. Llama, point of order: it was Edward III who made the shift to George at the expense of Edmund (and someone else whose name escapes me). It's debatable whether Edward III could be considered Norman, I think.

Miss Plato, as Mr. Tyson pointed out, I'm bad, I'm bad, I know it, I'm bad :p

Well yes, OK , Mr. Dancer, I grant you that, grudgingly. Edward III was the first of what I would regard as the English Kings. However, that bastard Richard I was the chap who introduced St. George to this country and brought in his wretched emblem and he was in no way or shape English - didn't speak the language, spent no more than six months here in his, thankfully, short life and tried to sell London. The fact that there is a statue of him outside the Houses of Parliament, never ceases to amaze me. Victorian sentimentality has a lot to answer for in this country.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

MTimT said:

Wow! Thanks to Innocenta Broad, I've learned today that the old maxim "Charity starts at home" is racist. Have to stop teaching it to the kids.

To the left, particularly Libdems it is. They regard the whole concept of giving precedence to your own nation familiy or tribe/community as inherently discriminating.
    Don`t be so silly, Mr Bedfordshire. Please....
  • Options
    tyson said:

Richard- on the Brexit side, you have people like Donald Trump, Putin, Farage, the EDL, the BNP, hard left communists, the countryside alliance, Liam Fox, Bill Cash, the Daily Mail, Rupert Murdoch....a

You missed Kate Hoey, Zac Goldsmith, Graham Stringer, Kelvin Hopkins, Gisela Stuart, can't think how that can have happened.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Close relatives - please define
    Parents , children .
    You do realise that there are many nations where parents never have automatic right to move and neither do adult children? My in-laws emigrated to Canada and became citizens there but my wife and I [and our children/their grandchildren] do not have any right to emigrate there as a result.

We might I suppose be able to get some points towards Canada's points-based system, but we couldn't simply move there under a close relations visa.
  • Options
    It's a pledge card...

@SophyRidgeSky: Boris Johnson & Michael Gove launch the 5 @vote_leave pledges with Olympic Park as backdrop https://t.co/fVhNvFVubd
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, one imagines if the Lionheart's life hadn't been cut short he would have spent rather more time in England.

Blame Henry II for giving him continental land. That, coupled with the Third Crusade, didn't give him much opportunity to dwell in England.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Erm... you are aware that the US is a union of 50 states with free movement and a single currency?

The UK is a union of 5 states with free movement and a single currency, so what ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    tyson said:

I was rather hoping that someone could make a progressive and optimistic case for Brexit, but there you go. Too much to ask

tyson said:

Wanker
    I'm happy with taking in more refugees, think foreign aid is fine if better targeted, and don't care about immigration levels. But the EU does not provide enough benefit for the stifling unhelpful control it exerts and contempt it shows for those with concerns, and the latter is why reform us too late to change its nature. For its benefits and ours we should part. We will take a hit, but we have a chance. If it is a mistake we will live with it, but it shill have been more genuinely trying to positively sway us.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Parents , children .
    You do realise that there are many nations where parents never have automatic right to move and neither do adult children? My in-laws emigrated to Canada and became citizens there but my wife and I [and our children/their grandchildren] do not have any right to emigrate there as a result.

We might I suppose be able to get some points towards Canada's points-based system, but we couldn't simply move there under a close relations visa.
    Indeed, in the UK system a non-EU citizen can only have their parent move here if they are a permanent residence and they can prove the parent is completely dependent on them for care. In practice it's very rare for such visas to be granted.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    Scott_P said:

tyson said:

actually when you look at the ragtag mishaps that make up Brexit- the majority of them would gladly privatise the NHS, and tear up any sense of workers rights.

The more sensible Labour MPs have been making these points. Luckily for Brexit nobody is listening to them.
    Well done on the Derby. Stupidly I changed at last minute and did Cloth of Stars.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    What happened in the aftermath of Sindy?

The Scottish Leavers highpoint was yet to come, while the remainers were split with some foolishly telling themselves everything would go back to normal.

The leavers were left with just one option to line up behind and they did. The unionist remainers went back to their divisive squabbling.

The potential for a repeat is there.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

The UK is a union of 5 states with free movement and a single currency, so what ?
    Now imagine that but with a proper federal system and scaled up over the whole of Euorpe. Nowhere else in the world could match us.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943
    Did we ever have "Pledge Cards" in political campaigns before NuLabour?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Wishful thinking?
    I'm a Remainer and I will be out campaigning next weekend. It's a gut feeling. A sense that, in my opinion, the UK is about to do something really stupid.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

No and No
    Discrimination may be caused by a number of factors but race does not have to be one of them .
    So why are we granting free movement to all the impoverished Eastern European Caucasian Christian nations but not to Turkey or similar?
    Because the former are in the EU and Turkey is not .
    That is a truism. It is a statement of fact it is not a reason why we should discriminate this way.
    This is false naïveté. Leavers are always banging on about how federalism and ever closer union and then feign ignorance about the practical manifestations.
    That's absurd. As a leaver generally opposes federalism and ever closer union there is no reason for them to automatically support the practical manifestations of it.

It is for Remainers to justify said practical manifestations in order to justify federalism.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Parents , children .

Indeed, in the UK system a non-EU citizen can only have their parent move here if they are a permanent residence and they can prove the parent is completely dependent on them for care. In practice it's very rare for such visas to be granted.
    Not exactly uncommon to come on a visitor's visa and to "accidentally" overstay for several years.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Well done on the Derby. Stupidly I changed at last minute and did Cloth of Stars.

Unlucky.

I missed all the business about the shoe, or I might have switched too. But then this

@clarebalding: Lots of messages from people who backed Harzand because of my dream - I just wish I had too! Delighted for the Weld family #InvestecDerby
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Parents , children .

Not exactly uncommon to come on a visitor's visa and to "accidentally" overstay for several years.
    That's a problem in any system and won't go away after Brexit. And anyone who overstays won't be given any extra leave to remain in the UK.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Now imagine that but with a proper federal system and scaled up over the whole of Euorpe. Nowhere else in the world could match us.
    You did notice the indyref referendum ? ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2016

What about our genial host?

There is nothing I have read from OGH that remotely suggests he is minimally supportive of the current LD's as it currently stands. I think Dr Fox once suggested Farron was OK, but I took that down to a bad shift he had done at the clinic, or accidentally imbibing a shed load of prescription pharmaceuticals.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

tyson said:

Racist how?
    It says that people from predominantly white European countries should have more right to travel to the UK to live and work than those from predominantly non white countries, irrespective of their individual qualifications or skills. It is of course not intentionally racist but the overall effect is to discriminate against those from non white countries.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    weejonnie said:

I watched the Ipswich Question time, I thought the remainers were going to get lynched (metaphorically). Cardiff not so much.

I wonder how the Wembly audience will be.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

With Angela Merkel playing the role of HMQ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I heard last week that there were serious voices in favour of Hilary Benn. I know this doesn't cut much ice with Labour members but if he's popular with his own MP's and they can see a chance winning even at their most suicidal it must be tempting.

And if it is Boris in 2017 and he's forced into an election Benn would be in an ideal position to win. Particularly if things go as badly as expected after Brexit

The high point for Leave will be the day it wins the ref (if it does) - down hill all the way after that.

The fickle electorate will rapidly switch from blaming all their woes on the EU (as do they now orchestrated by the right wing press) to blaming all their woes on Brexit.
    I think that is spot on in your last paragraph. Within months people will be complaining that immigration numbers are still too high.

A friend once pointed out to me when I was looking at buying a boat: "you only get two good days on a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it".

Brexit will be the same reaction, but the Brexiteers will not care, because they will have won.

• Options
    Not a bad effort at making a progressive case, but even you admit we are taking a major leap into the unknown, and I don't like many of your fellow travellers.
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Wanker
    I'm happy with taking in more refugees, think foreign aid is fine if better targeted, and don't care about immigration levels. But the EU does not provide enough benefit for the stifling unhelpful control it exerts and contempt it shows for those with concerns, and the latter is why reform us too late to change its nature. For its benefits and ours we should part. We will take a hit, but we have a chance. If it is a mistake we will live with it, but it shill have been more genuinely trying to positively sway us.
  • Options

tyson said:

Racist how?
    It says that people from predominantly white European countries should have more right to travel to the UK to live and work than those from predominantly non white countries, irrespective of their individual qualifications or skills. It is of course not intentionally racist but the overall effect is to discriminate against those from non white countries.
    So you favour ending the racist policy of making it easier for predominantly white people from the suburbs to move to London than people from, say, Mogadishu?
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

PlatoSaid said:

No and No

I'm in Sussex. (Mid)

I don't drink anything with alcohol in it, nor anything with too much fat.

There may still be a Lebanese restaurant in Hove Actually. Quite good when I was last there. Dry house but you can bring your own.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

The point is, America has free movement and it has worked out fine for them.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

A friend once pointed out to me when I was looking at buying a boat: "you only get two good days on a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it".

I am frivolously considering buying a 5 man hovercraft, I may be optimistic in giving me more than two good days, but it seems worth a go, and there are vast amounts of 40 degree water just outside my door ;)

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016
    @tyson

I keep off the grass, unlike some in my party!

I am a LibDem, though one that is a little unconvinced as yet by Farron. I voted for Lamb.

It will be a long road back, but Corbyn vs Eurosceptic Tory does create a lot of space.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Unlucky.

I missed all the business about the shoe, or I might have switched too. But then this

@clarebalding: Lots of messages from people who backed Harzand because of my dream - I just wish I had too! Delighted for the Weld family #InvestecDerby
    Thanks Scott much appreciated.
    :smile:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,939
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Wanker
    'Wanker'

Earlier you called me a 'fukin idiot'. I hope me and tyson haven't worn out your vocabulary
  • Options

Mr. Llama, one imagines if the Lionheart's life hadn't been cut short he would have spent rather more time in England.

Blame Henry II for giving him continental land. That, coupled with the Third Crusade, didn't give him much opportunity to dwell in England.

Thomas (my cat) wants to be fed otherwise I would give your silly comments about Richard I the treatment they deserve. Suffice for now to say your grasp of historical facts is seldom to be faulted (though occasionally wonky) but your interpretation of those facts leaves much to be desired..

Still, squabbling about Richard I (Lionheart, my arse) will make a nice change from that other bloody fool, Hannibal.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Does it have free movement with Mexico?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Isn't the US much more homogenised than Europe?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Details of the court case with the unfortunately not very sober vicar, must have had Father Jack Hackett as a mentor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36445522
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    tlg86 said:

I think most Remainers think it could go either way and don't have as much emotionally invested in the result as the Leavers. With three weeks to go I would say there is a certain over-confidence being displayed on the Brexit side.

I genuinely believe leaving would be a big mistake but part of me is looking forward to seeing how Johnson et al get on delivering what they are promising.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

chestnut said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

chestnut said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

No, in the same way that the EU doesn't have free movement with Turkey or Syria.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,939
    edited June 2016
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Oh come off it. America is a sovereign nation, the people unsurprisingly move around freely inside its borders. Stop playing silly games. Which other country's citizens have free movement and rights to reside within the continental USA ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    tyson said:

Not a bad effort at making a progressive case, but even you admit we are taking a major leap into the unknown, and I don't like many of your fellow travellers.

kle4 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Wanker
    Sometime the unknown is a better option, if the known is so poor. I used to think thus was not the case but now I do. I'd prefer Cameron to most of the alternatives but that's life.
  • Options
    Great analogy Fox. I have to tell that to my wife who harbours some wistful fantasy about us sailing on the Med.

And buying a holiday home I would suggest, especially one abroad. Seems a wonderfully romantic idea. Not that I have done that terrible mistake either.

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I think that is spot on in your last paragraph. Within months people will be complaining that immigration numbers are still too high.

Brexit will be the same reaction, but the Brexiteers will not care, because they will have won.

• Options
    OK, I have lumped on Andy Murray to win tomorrow.

Smart punters may now decide to switch to Joko to double their chance of winning...
This discussion has been closed.