Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories are dominating the referendum campaign and that’

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,031

PlatoSaid said:

The thread header is a variation on the theme I've been running for weeks, its ambivalent labour voters who will abstain and hand it to Leave. Cameron is relying on people who dislike him to save his political career. Actually make them elongate his political career, he's finished regardless, a win for Remain just keeps him in office a while longer.

Tory Remainers are left using the argument that Labour voters should vote Remain to keep Cameron in a job because most of their Tory colleagues who might replace him are nastier. Not the greatest message.
    The most perplexing for me is Cameron arguing we need the EU to protect us from a Tory HMG on workers' rights.

WTF?

Just tells you he knows he's toast if Leave wins and that his replacement will seek to hammer British workers.

Could a Tory govt hammer british workers any harder than the last Labour one ?]

Stagnating wages, no house building, wrecked pensions, destruction of manufacturing, mass immigration and the biggest recession ever. Hard to top that frankly.

Well, the current Tory government has based its entire economic and fiscal policy on ongoing I wonder what that could mean apart from reducing the statutory rights of employees.

It could mean lots of things.

EU legislation isn't mostly about Labour law.

And yes the current govt is simply continuing Labours polices at a slower rate which is why they have a problem with their traditional supporters

So what are the big areas of red tape that can be cut outside of labour law?

There are quite a few in my area manufacturing which just get dumped on us, try CE marking and ask what value it adds to have to employ a consultant to get you through it. Especially if you are a small company.

I would not count on that going post-Brexit. It won't for any manufacturer that exports to the EEA.

Or here's one of my other passions, crafted cider

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/07/craft-cider-eu-tax-threat

great a world of fking magners and stella artois.

Yep - that would be ridiculous and hopefully it won't happen. But it's not a whole load of red tape that will save billions.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

PlatoSaid said:

Tory Remainers are left using the argument that Labour voters should vote Remain to keep Cameron in a job because most of their Tory colleagues who might replace him are nastier. Not the greatest message.

The most perplexing for me is Cameron arguing we need the EU to protect us from a Tory HMG on workers' rights.

WTF?

Just tells you he knows he's toast if Leave wins and that his replacement will seek to hammer British workers.

Stagnating wages, no house building, wrecked pensions, destruction of manufacturing, mass immigration and the biggest recession ever. Hard to top that frankly.

Well, the current Tory gov tape. I wonder what that could mean apart from reducing the statutory rights of employees.

And yes the current govt is simply continuing Labours polices at a slower rate which is why they have a problem with their traditional supporters

There are quite a few in my area manufacturing which just get dumped on us, try CE marking and ask what value it adds to have to employ a consultant to get you through it. Especially if you are a small company.

I would not count on that going post-Brexit. It won't for any manufacturer that exports to the EEA.

Maybe maybe not, but those people who dont sell to the EU won't have to bother with it.

Why not try high speed broadband which is 3 years late getting in to my village and where BT, my parish coucillor, my district councillor and my county councillor stood in front of our village to say approval by EU competition authorities was one of the main hold ups.

I suspect this is true as Osborne denied it.

I suspect it's bollocks as I wouldn't believe a word BT say about anything. Also there are plenty of villages that do have high speed broadband, including my own. But we are also in the EU here in Worcestershire.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

PlatoSaid said:

"Alfie in Tower Hamlets told Andrew Castle that he thinks the EU has destroyed the living standards of the working class.

'I am ashamed of my politicians it's gone our way of life has gone our communities have been decimated,' he said.

"No one asked me. No one asked my friends, to be forced out of our area. no one asked for our wages to go down. We've just had it dumped upon us,"

Listen as he lets rip. "

http://www.lbc.co.uk/andrew-taken-aback-by-callers-anti-eu-rant-131412

These are the people who will deliver Brexit. I suspect many have not voted since 1997 but they sure will be voting on 23rd June.

I suppose Alfie thinks Bangladesh is in the EU.
    They are going to tske revenge on the establishment and middle classes who have benefitjed from policies that have caused the destruction of their way of life . I dont suppose they really care where the immigrants come from.

This is the ideal way to do it, no risk of electing a demagogue and if the doom warnings are true they have nothing so nothing to lose and can sit back and watch the wealthy hurting
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Abby Philip
    Clinton has cancelled a day of campaigning in NJ this week and will instead return to California for 5 days ahead of the June 7 primary.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The e longer.

WTF?

Well, the current Tory gov tape. I wonder what that could mean apart from reducing the statutory rights of employees.

Maybe maybe not, but those people who dont sell to the EU won't have to bother with it.

Why not try high speed broadband which is 3 years late getting in to my village and where BT, my parish coucillor, my district councillor and my county councillor stood in front of our village to say approval by EU competition authorities was one of the main hold ups.

In my experience the EU is often used by incompetent people to excuse their incompetence. In much the same way as lazy people use health and safety or political correctness to get away with not doing their jobs properly.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,651

PlatoSaid said:

The thread header is a variation on the theme I've been running for weeks, its ambivalent labouhile longer.

Tory Remainers are left using the argumentst message.

WTF?

of employees.

All may not be lost.

itv.com/news/west/2016-04-13/eu-to-review-tax-change-which-could-put-west-country-cider-makers-out-of-business/
  • Options
    chestnut said:

PlatoSaid said:

"Alfie in Tower Hamlets told Andrew Castle that he thinks the EU has destroyed the living standards of the working class.

'I am ashamed of my politicians it's gone our way of life has gone our communities have been decimated,' he said.

"No one asked me. No one asked my friends, to be forced out of our area. no one asked for our wages to go down. We've just had it dumped upon us,"

Listen as he lets rip. "

The EU is being conflated with immigration in general, but the general problem is one of a political elite whose experience of immigration doesn't extend to fighting for an £8 per hour job, a council house, a decent school and prompt treatment at the GP/A and E etc.

Exactly.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'VE GOT THE FUCKING HEATING ON

Weak. It's 64 degrees in Camden Town currently, according to my Met Office app.

It sure doesn't feel like it. Gusty wind, no sun at all, rain to come, and people walking down my street in thick coats and jumpers. A girl just went past wrapped in an enormous scarf.

Pff, I say, PFFFF!

London has gone soft.

Of course it has. Stuffed full of Remainers. They may not ALL be c*nts as SeanT has opined, but Remainers certainly seem to be the sort of risk-averse safety-first do-what-Nanny-says types who are an evolutionary cul-de-sac.... Hyaenodon gigas that have settled for being raccoons...

It's Leaver SeanT who's turned his heating on. At the end of May. When it's 64 degrees outside.

Well if it hadn't been for all those stupid EU rules about using fossil fuels it would be at least 10F warmer and there would have been no need [/TIC]
  • Options
    Mirror
    Electoral Commission says 'biased' EU postal voting guide "clearly shouldn't have been used" https://t.co/JuXBn0p0E3 https://t.co/YNctL7lgxU
  • Options

Wanderer said:

PlatoSaid said:

Listen as he lets rip. "

These are the people who will deliver Brexit. I suspect many have not voted since 1997 but they sure will be voting on 23rd June.

I suppose Alfie thinks Bangladesh is in the EU.
    They are going to tske revenge on the establishment and middle classes who have benefitjed from policies that have caused the destruction of their way of life . I dont suppose they really care where the immigrants come from.

This is the ideal way to do it, no risk of electing a demagogue and if the doom warnings are true they have nothing so nothing to lose and can sit back and watch the wealthy hurting

Not really. The wealthy will still be wealthy if we pull out of the EU. But lower levels of growth and reduced tax take will have a significant effect on people who rely on public services to get by.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

The e longer.

WTF?

In my experience the EU is often used by incompetent people to excuse their incompetence. In much the same way as lazy people use health and safety or political correctness to get away with not doing their jobs properly.
    Well said.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Mirror
    Electoral Commission says 'biased' EU postal voting guide "clearly shouldn't have been used" https://t.co/JuXBn0p0E3 https://t.co/YNctL7lgxU

That will make for an interesting aftermath if the result is as close as the Austrian election was
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The e longer.

WTF?

The head of the HSE often comes on air to explain that it is usually insurance concerns and nothing to do with H&S that some bonkers rule is in place.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,077
    PlatoSaid said:

Mirror

Is the Council going to be reprimanded in any way, or is "clearly shouldn't have been used" all we are going to get?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

The e longer.

WTF?

There Especially if you are a small company.

Why not try was one of the main hold ups.

The head of the HSE often comes on air to explain that it is usually insurance concerns and nothing to do with H&S that some bonkers rule is in place.

Yep - "I can't do that because of health and safety" or "data protection means I can't do this" usually translates to "I can't be arsed".

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,962

PlatoSaid said:

The thread header is a variation on the theme I've been running for weeks, its ambivalent labour voters who will abstain and hand it to Leave. Cameron is relying on people who dislike him to save his political career. Actually make them elongate his political career, he's finished regardless, a win for Remain just keeps him in office a while longer.

WTF?

Well, the current Tory government has based its entire economic and fiscal policy on ongoing I wonder what that could mean apart from reducing the statutory rights of employees.

Yep - that would be ridiculous and hopefully it won't happen. But it's not a whole load of red tape that will save billions.
    The effect is cumulative.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    SouthamObserver - what services do poor people get?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited May 2016
    TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

The e longer.

WTF?

However the reversing of the burden of proof that was enacted in the Health and Safety Act 1974 is at the root of the insurers paranoia
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,912
    weejonnie said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It sure doesn't feel like it. Gusty wind, no sun at all, rain to come, and people walking down my street in thick coats and jumpers. A girl just went past wrapped in an enormous scarf.

Pff, I say, PFFFF!

London has gone soft.

Of course it has. Stuffed full of Remainers. They may not ALL be c*nts as SeanT has opined, but Remainers certainly seem to be the sort of risk-averse safety-first do-what-Nanny-says types who are an evolutionary cul-de-sac.... Hyaenodon gigas that have settled for being raccoons...

It's Leaver SeanT who's turned his heating on. At the end of May. When it's 64 degrees outside.

Well if it hadn't been for all those stupid EU rules about using fossil fuels it would be at least 10F warmer and there would have been no need [/TIC]
    "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" - as we say outside London.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726
    TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

The thread header is a variation on the theme I've been running for weeks, its ambivalent labouhile longer.

Tory Remainers are left using the argumentst message.

WTF?

of employees.

All may not be lost.

itv.com/news/west/2016-04-13/eu-to-review-tax-change-which-could-put-west-country-cider-makers-out-of-business/
    Call me cynical, but I bet the European Commission take until after June 23 to deliver their decision on the cider producers' case...
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mirror

Is the Council going to be reprimanded in any way, or is "clearly shouldn't have been used" all we are going to get?
    That so many Remainers rubbished this and said it was a PhotoShop job just makes it sweeter. I doubt anything will be done myself. I remain amazed this stuff isn't produced by the EComm.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Has someone in Brussels just done this for a bet on Brexit?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20160530IPR29683/Civil-Liberties-Committee-backs-new-European-Border-and-Coast-Guard

Integrated Boarder Coastguard and Agency for EU.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mirror

That so many Remainers rubbished this and said it was a PhotoShop job just makes it sweeter. I doubt anything will be done myself. I remain amazed this stuff isn't produced by the EComm.
    I was skeptical at first, especially after seeing my own instructions. Glad it's only one area...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,348

SeanT said:

Then it's your own fault for not being down in the SouthWest. Bloody gorgeous today...
    Been lovely in south west Scotland till now, but clouds have rolled in. Hopefully temporary.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The e longer.

WTF?

Could a Tory govt h Hard to top that frankly.

EU legislation isn't mostly about Laal supporters

There are Especially if you are a small company.

That's not much help for people trying to run businesses in rural communities. And in this instance the issue appears to be true.

Osborne denies Brexit would bring more cash for superfast broadband

"George Osborne has denied that quitting the European Union would allow the Government to spend more cash on rolling out superfast broadband because EU state aid rules would not apply."

So my councillors tell me state aid is a delay factor, george says it isn't . Which one is lying ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Nice to know BBC are 10 hours behind the PB curve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36411509
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

PlatoSaid said:

WTF?

Well, the current Tory government has based its entire economic and fiscal policy on ongoing high levels of immigration, as well as increased private borrowing, while doing nothing to rebalance the economy or to help manufacturing - so maybe not worse, but certainly not any better. And the Tory Leavers are all signed up to that and to further reductions in the power of trade unions. They also want to leave the EU to cut red tape. I wonder what that could mean apart from reducing the statutory rights of employees.

Lets start with auctions. The one that says that if you sell an artwork where the artists is living or died less than 75 years ago, they get a slice of the sale price. Net result business moves from London/Paris to New York. Brilliant.

Clinical trial directive. Trials move from UK to third world where no doubt treatment is good where issues arise.

There are more examples of ill thought out regulation there as well.

Personally I wouldn't bother with EU Labour law as I can't see it makes much of a difference. It's ignored in odd ways anyway.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016
    dr_spyn said:

Has someone in Brussels just done this for a bet on Brexit?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20160530IPR29683/Civil-Liberties-Committee-backs-new-European-Border-and-Coast-Guard

Integrated Boarder Coastguard and Agency for EU.

An EU coastguard to go with the EU army, EU police force, EU border force, etc. Or is this all a dangerous fantasy?
  • Options
    PAW said:

Very few specifically. But if you are on a low income you are more dependent than the better off on a range of services from subsidised public transport to after school clubs for your kids.

• Options

Mr. White, I am pleased your blog recognises the clearly independent IMF's conclusion that leaving the EU will cause dragons to infest Britain and eat everyone who does not worship them.

:)

Quite.

Actually Andrew Neil pointed out the the CBI that their own forecast of out looked quite good. Also the remainers never look at the downside risk if remain.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,230

weejonnie said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pff, I say, PFFFF!

London has gone soft.

"Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" - as we say outside London.
    Of course, those of us outside London IN THE COUNTRY know that May refers to the mayflower being in bloom, and not the Home Secretary getting the axe...
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mirror

"A Bristol City Council spokesman said: "This form is designed to explain the logistics of voting by post and not to suggest how someone should vote.

"The placement of a pen graphic is entirely incidental and we do not believe that anybody could reasonably be influenced by such a graphic.
    "

So make them send out 47000 fresh postal vote applications with the pen pointing to leave - after all - it won't influence anyone?

Make the punishment fit the crime.
  • Options
    perdix said:

There’s.... or was when I was concerned ..... a big debate about this in medicine. One would expect that consultants and GP's would make decisions in the manner which you suggest; in fact persauding some at least of the value of Evidence Based Medicine as opposed to personal experience was extremely difficult.

Indeed my then GP failed to diagnose my cancer on the grounds of his personal experience and was most reluctant to send me for investigation.
    That was 5 years ago admittedly and I will know in a week or so when the operation and medication which wiser heads recommended have worked.

Sorry to hear of your experience, Mr Cole, and I hope that the fat got pulled out of the fire in time. I am, however, not surprised that your GP fecked up - it has happened to several people I know, sometimes with fatal consequences.

I have a theory that one of the big causes of health inequality in this country is nothing to do with lifestyle or relative poverty. It is because poorer people tend to be less well-educated, less self-confident and so more inclined to accept what their doctor says as gospel. I am certain I would have been dead nearly twenty years ago if I had passively listened to the specialist, the specialist FFS, when my kidneys went wonky. I remember the interview well, it was only after I told him he was talking out of his arse and that things were not proceeding well that he changed tack and treatment that I began to recover. I have had to do something similar with my current young GP too.
    I fear that is precisely the case. It's why we need to get a public school attitude of self confidence in every school in the land, so that people take themselves as a reasonable authority and don't blindly follow others.

However my current GP is very good.
    The Press and this government are taking on public school education as something socially undesirable. If you want to have leaders in all sections of society you have to provide the foundations for self confidence. Avoiding arrogance, of course.

Quite. You don't get self confidence in state schools pupils by removing it from public school ones. You only get it from giving self confidence to state school pupils.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft isn't holding back

Remember this...he did of course pay...#mostsincerely https://t.co/WbUntdjOR9
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

WTF?

Well, the current Tory government has based its entire economic and fiscal policy on ongoing high levels of immigration, as well as increased private borrowing, while doing nothing to rebalance the economy or to help manufacturing - so maybe not worse, but certainly not any better. And the Tory Leavers are all signed up to that and to further reductions in the power of trade unions. They also want to leave the EU to cut red tape. I wonder what that could mean apart from reducing the statutory rights of employees.

And it gets worse. The Chinese just employ a graphic designer to do their CE marking. (And no, a lot don't do the testing)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    dr_spyn said:

Nice to know BBC are 10 hours behind the PB curve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36411509

The Electoral Commission has told Bristol council not to use it again. But with reports of similar leaflets dropping on doormats around the country it may be too late to do anything about it.

There's no further detail on this.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

WTF?

It could for the majority that don't though
  • Options
    edited May 2016

PlatoSaid said:

The e longer.

WTF?

Could a Tory govt h Hard to top that frankly.

EU legislation isn't mostly about Laal supporters

There are Especially if you are a small company.

Why not try high speed broadband which is 3 years late getting in to my village and where BT, my parish coucillor, my district councillor and my county councillor stood in front of our village to say approval by EU competition authorities waps.

That's not much help for people trying to run businesses in rural communities. And in this instance the issue appears to be true.

Osborne denies Brexit would bring more cash for superfast broadband

"George Osborne has denied that quitting the European Union would allow the Government to spend more cash on rolling out superfast broadband because EU state aid rules would not apply."

So my councillors tell me state aid is a delay factor, george says it isn't . Which one is lying ?

Quitting would not bring more cash because the government does not want to subsidise BT.

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,342
    welshowl said:

Hmm. I'm in Cardiff half a world away from the Rhondda (!). It's a tricky one to call really. There's a lot of automatic "vote what Labour says" I'm sure, and Plaid are very pro Remain. Also there's a lot if European money spent (compared to wealthier bits of the UK). On the other hand immigration I doubt will play well and P Talbot is a localish known unknown in the mix. I'm guessing slightly Remain on a low turnout.

I have relatives in the Valleys (proper Valleys mind, not Cardiff/Swansea/Port Talbot).

During the Greece kerfuffle they saw a centre-right blue-clad woman from one country impose fiscal rectitude (with concomitant unemployment and poverty) on a working class country that spoke a different language...

...so go on, have a guess what they thought...

I'll be surprised if the Valleys don't go majority LEAVE, possibly higher than that.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Shat on. And then they're charged for the shit.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Listen as he lets rip. "

Voter registration is up. This isn't usually a vote of confidence in the status quo is it?

All those people who voted for Major and didn't vote in 1997 combined with those that voted for Blair in 1997 who stopped voting between then and 2010. They are not delirious with the status quo I expect.
  • Options
    Golly

Dan Hodges
    Here's the full Jackie Walker piece where she implies Sadiq Khan is part of a Zionist conspiracy https://t.co/ZUH6i6i4aT
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

WTF?

And it gets worse. The Chinese just employ a graphic designer to do their CE marking. (And no, a lot don't do the testing)
    http://www.ybw.com/vhf-marine-radio-guide/warning-dont-get-confused-between-the-ce-mark-and-the-china-export-mark-4607
  • Options

That is at least partly true. However once you remove the EU you also remove the excuses.

As Alfie said, Cameron promised to get immigration down, but non EU immigration swamps Cameron's promise. So come June 23rd, he is going to give the whole establishment the finger. Makes you proud to be British!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Golly

Dan Hodges
    Here's the full Jackie Walker piece where she implies Sadiq Khan is part of a Zionist conspiracy https://t.co/ZUH6i6i4aT

A repulsive woman embraced by Corbyn Labour. Sickening.

• Options
    n't . Which one is lying ?

Quitting would not bring more cash because the government does not want to subsidise BT.

and yet any subsidy still requires permission. Why?

If the citizens of an EU state decide they want to upgrade their infrastructure and are paying for it themselves then what business is it of the EU in the first place ?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,438

PlatoSaid said:

Listen as he lets rip. "

Voter registration is up. This isn't usually a vote of confidence in the status quo is it?

All those people who voted for Major and didn't vote in 1997 combined with those that voted for Blair in 1997 who stopped voting between then and 2010. They are not delirious with the status quo I expect.
    The former maybe, If you voted for Blair in 1997 the odds are you will be voting Remain
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Actually it usually isn't.

They start with Health and Safety, then when they get told not, not us gov they then cite insurance. The insurance companies are seldom actually consulted and are not about to go on air unless invited. I asked the HSE about PAT tests, they said you don't need them, the PAT tester said "Ah but your insurer will" so I asked the insurer who said "not us either".
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...
    As I remember, the UK economy did better than expected which by some formula or other meant it had to increase its contribution to the EU pot.

We should all celebrate this win-win situation.
  • Options
    So, Brexit could end with Scottish independence, the reunification of Ireland and, now, Gibraltar ceding its sovereignty to Spain (according to its first minister):

http://www.abc.es/internacional/abci-gibraltar-amenaza-unirse-espana-si-reino-unido-vota-brexit-201605282146_noticia.html

• Options
    TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...
    As I remember, the UK economy did better than expected which by some formula or other meant it had to increase its contribution to the EU pot.

We could celebrate the fact that we did better than the rest of the EU.

But I see no reason to celebrate the fact the rest of the EU is doing badly. I see no reason to celebrate the fact that means we paid more. Especially given the EU SHOULD be growing faster than us but it isn't.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

There Especially if you are a small company.

Why not try was one of the main hold ups.

Yep - "I can't do that because of health and safety" or "data protection means I can't do this" usually translates to "I can't be arsed".

I called the student loan company to ask their definition of a dependent and they would not answer me until I passed data protection as if the definition was somehow related to anyone in particulars data that required protection. There are some morons out there.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Actually it usually isn't.

They start with Health and Safety, then when they get told not, not us gov they then cite insurance. The insurance companies are seldom actually consulted and are not about to go on air unless invited. I asked the HSE about PAT tests, they said you don't need them, the PAT tester said "Ah but your insurer will" so I asked the insurer who said "not us either".
    The point being it is very rarely the HSE (I remember it culminated when people weren't allowed on Henman Hill at Wimbledon for some spurious reason).
  • Options

Got a source for that? Conversely, do you have numbers for previous refs and regstrations? It's a genuine question (I'm not poo-pooing it, so don't get upset) - it's such a good idea for a forward indicator I'm genuinely interested.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

The boost to measured GDP came from including the drugs trade and prostitution, IIRC.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

But I see no reason to celebrate the fact the rest of the EU is doing badly. I see no reason to celebrate the fact that means we paid more. Especially given the EU SHOULD be growing faster than us but it isn't.
    We should celebrate the fact that we are in a club which looks after its members.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

The boost to measured GDP came from including the drugs trade and prostitution, IIRC.
    As if we have a bigger black market than the likes of Italy and Eastern Europe ...
  • Options

If the citizens of an EU state decide they want to upgrade their infrastructure and are paying for it themselves then what business is it of the EU in the first place ?

We are signed up to the single market. It has rules. This is precisely the argument, isn't it? I think that ceding a certain amount of sovereignty is worth it. You don't. But the EU is not preventing high speed internet making it into rural areas.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    viewcode said:

welshowl said:

Hmm. I'm in Cardiff half a world away from the Rhondda (!). It's a tricky one to call really. There's a lot of automatic "vote what Labour says" I'm sure, and Plaid are very pro Remain. Also there's a lot if European money spent (compared to wealthier bits of the UK). On the other hand immigration I doubt will play well and P Talbot is a localish known unknown in the mix. I'm guessing slightly Remain on a low turnout.

I have relatives in the Valleys (proper Valleys mind, not Cardiff/Swansea/Port Talbot).

During the Greece kerfuffle they saw a centre-right blue-clad woman from one country impose fiscal rectitude (with concomitant unemployment and poverty) on a working class country that spoke a different language...

...so go on, have a guess what they thought...

I'll be surprised if the Valleys don't go majority LEAVE, possibly higher than that.
    Quite. But there are forces pulling the other way too. I don't think there will be huge amounts in it here either way, but I'd be surprised if Wales was as pro Remain as I suspect Scotland will be.
  • Options

So, Brexit could end with Scottish independence, the reunification of Ireland and, now, Gibraltar ceding its sovereignty to Spain (according to its first minister):

http://www.abc.es/internacional/abci-gibraltar-amenaza-unirse-espana-si-reino-unido-vota-brexit-201605282146_noticia.html

all good lefty causes

shall I count you as Leave ?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

More likely that Ireland will have a referendum about leaving the EU.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

We should celebrate the fact that we are in a club which looks after its members.
    Except it is not looking after its members. If it was then developing nations within the club would be growing faster than us (like developing nations outside the club) and so our contributions would be going down.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

How do drugs trade statistics make their way into the official GDP calculations?
  • Options

NeilVW said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

As if we have a bigger black market than the likes of Italy and Eastern Europe ...
    Could be wrong, but I think it was a unilateral choice by the UK's statistics authority.
  • Options

NeilVW said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

If you look upon the contributions to the EU as a 'free market tax' then the tax is paid on turnover, not profit. Somehow I don't think those multi-national companies promoting membership of the EU would like their businesses to be taxed on turnover rather than profit.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

NeilVW said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

Could be wrong, but I think it was a unilateral choice by the UK's statistics authority.
    No it was not. All nations were supposed to estimate it, we probably estimated it more honestly than other nations did so were penalised for that.
  • Options

all good lefty causes

Gibraltar is up to the Gibralterians. Northern Ireland is up to the Northern Irish and Scotland is up to Scots. I am not that bothered about Gibraltar, but I hope the UK stays together. A good reason to vote Remain.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Golly

Dan Hodges

Your kidding me?

So Muslims are being dragged into this whole Zionist conspiracy thing now?

I wonder if the new law banning psycho active drugs will help?
  • Options

RTLWL?
    Reasons That Leave Will Lose?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

PlatoSaid said:

Golly

Dan Hodges

Your kidding me?

So Muslims are being dragged into this whole Zionist conspiracy thing now?

I wonder if the new law banning psycho active drugs will help?
    I blame whipped cream myself.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

We are signed up to the single market. It has rules. This is precisely the argument, isn't it? I think that ceding a certain amount of sovereignty is worth it. You don't. But the EU is not preventing high speed internet making it into rural areas.

This is not an area for the EU we have our own authorities in place who are capable of making decisions.

And yes it is delaying the decision even if your blog is correct and it is "only" month then why should people in rural communities have to wait an extra month - you wouldnt accept it why should I ? Not that I actually take a blog from the EU as gospel any more than I would one from Osborne.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

http://www.ybw.com/vhf-marine-radio-guide/warning-dont-get-confused-between-the-ce-mark-and-the-china-export-mark-4607
    Love it! And of course it works. And I bet some just put the actual CE mark on anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

NeilVW said:

NeilVW said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

No it was not. All nations were supposed to estimate it, we probably estimated it more honestly than other nations did so were penalised for that.
    Not quite as simple as that, it seems:

But experts at the Centre for Economics and Business Research, who produced the World Economic League Table, noted that France did not include the sex work and illegal drugs in its estimations.

It added that, if it did, there was a possibility that it might retake its fifth place position - and that the UK might drop down to sixth.

France does not include prostitution and illegal drugs in calculations as it does not believe they constitute 'voluntary commercial activity', adding that they are often tied to criminal networks.

Www.TinyURL.com/n63ne9o

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,725
    edited May 2016
    ISIS t-shirt or flag or poppy burning nothing we can do etc etc etc....

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/05/man-carrying-isis-flag-near-parliament-not-arrested-police-criticised

Knob head wearing offense t-shirt over Hillsborough...

Worcester man charged after wearing offensive Hillsborough T-shirt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-36412814

He was asked to leave, good, but plod charged him with "displaying abusive writing... likely to cause distress"....really...wouldn't a quiet word with him informing he was a wanker and not to wear it again in public have been enough?

• Options

all good lefty causes

Gibraltar is up to the Gibralterians. Northern Ireland is up to the Northern Irish and Scotland is up to Scots. I am not that bothered about Gibraltar, but I hope the UK stays together. A good reason to vote Remain.

No reason at all to vote Remain - just scaremongering. The Gibraltarians could vote to become part of Spain at anytime - and I think there was a groundswell of opinion in England that they wouldn't mind Scotland going - during the Sindy ref.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

On one level, it was highly flammable - when people realised that Cameron and Osborne (and it is them) had put £9m of taxpayers banknotes under one corner of the table football, so the ball kept rolling away from Remain's goal and into the Leave net....

From what I have been hearing, people REALLY did not like that. And what is ultra-stupid is that for many, it will rob a narrow Remain win of any legitimacy. All I can think is that they must have been seeing some VERY BAD INTERNAL POLLING....

Alternatively, Mr Mark, they just think that they can do whatever they like and get away with it.

After all, that is what they did in the general election a year ago, and they still haven`t paid the price.
    So much for innocent until proven guilty.
    That is probably why the Tories are trying to drag it out, and make it difficult for the authorities to get hold of the evidence against them. If they were innocent, they would have nothing to fear, as somebody once said in a different context.
  • Options

I rather suspect that the people of Gibraltar may take a different view. I also don't think there will be a united Ireland either.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    SouthamObserver - so poor people don't get any extra services?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

On one level, it was highly flammable - when people realised that Cameron and Osborne (and it is them) had put £9m of taxpayers banknotes under one corner of the table football, so the ball kept rolling away from Remain's goal and into the Leave net....

From what I have been hearing, people REALLY did not like that. And what is ultra-stupid is that for many, it will rob a narrow Remain win of any legitimacy. All I can think is that they must have been seeing some VERY BAD INTERNAL POLLING....

Alternatively, Mr Mark, they just think that they can do whatever they like and get away with it.

After all, that is what they did in the general election a year ago, and they still haven`t paid the price.
    So much for innocent until proven guilty.
    That is probably why the Tories are trying to drag it out, and make it difficult for the authorities to get hold of the evidence against them. If they were innocent, they would have nothing to fear, as somebody once said in a different context.
    Last I heard the Tories had complied with the evidence requests.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Got a source for that? Conversely, do you have numbers for previous refs and regstrations? It's a genuine question (I'm not poo-pooing it, so don't get upset) - it's such a good idea for a forward indicator I'm genuinely interested.

Something I heard on the local news. Much higher voter registrations than they were expecting
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Golly

Dan Hodges

Is she going to appear with Cameron next for REMAIN?
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

NeilVW said:

NeilVW said:

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not on Dec 1st ...

Not quite as simple as that, it seems:

But experts at the Centre for Economics and Business Research, who produced the World Economic League Table, noted that France did not include the sex work and illegal drugs in its estimations.

It added that, if it did, there was a possibility that it might retake its fifth place position - and that the UK might drop down to sixth.

France does not include prostitution and illegal drugs in calculations as it does not believe they constitute 'voluntary commercial activity', adding that they are often tied to criminal networks.

Www.TinyURL.com/n63ne9o

So we get penalised for being more honest in calculating our black market. Idiotic idea.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

If you had said that before it joined the Euro, I'd've agreed with you. But post-Euro it can't leave, for the same reason Greece can't - it makes them automatically poor overnight. They've wargamed leaving the EU but keeping the Euro...and the results aren't great.

This is why the Irish government is running it's own pro-REMAIN campaign.
  • Options

This is not an area for the EU we have our own authorities in place who are capable of making decisions.

And yes it is delaying the decision even if your blog is correct and it is "only" month then why should people in rural communities have to wait an extra month - you wouldnt accept it why should I ? Not that I actually take a blog from the EU as gospel any more than I would one from Osborne.

Who is to say they wouldn't have to wait anyway? But I agree with you. If you feel that having this decided at UK level is more important than being a full part of the single market then you should vote Leave and hope the Brexit deal does not give Brussels continuing control over this.

• Options

viewcode said:

Something I heard on the local news. Much higher voter registrations than they were expecting
    Good to know, thank you. I shall watch out for more.
  • Options

and yet any subsidy still requires perm

We are signed up to the single market. It has ruls.

Who is to say they wouldn't have to wait anyway? But I agree with you. If you feel that having this decided at UK level is more important than being a full part of the single market then you should vote Leave and hope the Brexit deal does not give Brussels continuing control over this.

Streaming Game of Thrones or access to the single matket ?

GOT wins.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

chestnut said:

If you had said that before it joined the Euro, I'd've agreed with you. But post-Euro it can't leave, for the same reason Greece can't - it makes them automatically poor overnight. They've wargamed leaving the EU but keeping the Euro...and the results aren't great.

Ireland will have to put up its corporation tax to 15% if they remain in the EU.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Labour GOTV.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Ireland will have to put up its corporation tax to 15% if they remain in the EU.
    Can't they veto that proposal?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Listen as he lets rip. "

The former maybe, If you voted for Blair in 1997 the odds are you will be voting Remain
    If you voted in 1997 and carried on voting, perhaps. If you defected to the Libdems after Iraq certainly.

But if you voted for Blair in 1997 thinking you would get a Labour government that would put the native working class first sfter 18 years of Tory abuse, and then looked in horror to discover that Labour had become politically correct Tory Lite and then stopped bothering to vote - somewhat unlikely you will vote Remain.

It will not have gone unnoticed that virtually the whole political and managerial class is pro Remain and the bonus - unlike say in the Austrian election - is that you can knee these people where it hurts on June 23rd with no risk of a demagogic nutter coming to power due to your vote.
  • Options
    PAW said:

SouthamObserver - so poor people don't get any extra services?

Services specifically for the poor, as opposed to social security, no I don't think so. They just depend more on public services that in theory are available to all and often get access to them at reduced rates.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    weejonnie said:

viewcode said:

Labour GOTV.
    I wouldnt bank on it. They got their vote out before the election last year which was quite a high turnout and only students and others moving house would have had to reregister since then.

I suspect - as with indyref it is people who have not voted for years or decades and I cant see them voting pro the political classes view.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Listen as he lets rip. "

If you voted in 1997 and carried on voting, perhaps. If you defected to the Libdems after Iraq certainly.

But if you voted for Blair in 1997 thinking you would get a Labour government that would put the native working class first sfter 18 years of Tory abuse, and then looked in horror to discover that Labour had become politically correct Tory Lite and then stopped bothering to vote - somewhat unlikely you will vote Remain.

It will not have gone unnoticed that virtually the whole political and managerial class is pro Remain and the bonus - unlike say in the Austrian election - is that you can knee these people where it hurts on June 23rd with no risk of a demagogic nutter coming to power due to your vote.

The wealthy will still be wealthy post-Brexit. The establishment will still be in place. The political and managerial class will not change.

• Options

weejonnie said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Can't they veto that proposal?

Yes.

• Options

weejonnie said:

viewcode said:

Labour GOTV.
    I wouldnt bank on it. They got their vote out before the election last year which was quite a high turnout and only students and others moving house would have had to reregister since then.

I suspect - as with indyref it is people who have not voted for years or decades and I cant see them voting pro the political classes view.
    Of course Boris is the very essence of the political classes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,438

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Listen as he lets rip. "

More likely you have switched to UKIP by now, if you have not voted since you are unlikely to be voting no now. You could equally argue many of the workers rights now in employment law came from the EU and if you vote for Brexit and end up with a rightwing Tory as PM the managerial class will do just fine, you maybe less so
This discussion has been closed.