Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The extraordinary public battle between two of the men behi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited May 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The extraordinary public battle between two of the men behind the creation and success of YouGov

Once upon a time @PeterKellner1 & @StephanShaxper were the leading lights in YouGov. This morning a Twitter scrap… pic.twitter.com/NBUaGDVjC5

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited May 2016
    First?

Pollster Wars!!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Kellner v Shaxper - We need a poll to see which is right…!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    2nd. Like Remain (but only online)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    In the run up to the indyref, the bitch fight between YouGov and Survation was hysterical.

YouGov were wrong then.
  • Options
    The roots? At the time Kellner was on TV denying that Yougov had got it wrong. Shakespeare was more honest.

Stephan Shakespeare @StephanShaxper
    A terrible night for us pollsters. I apologise for a poor performance. We need to find out why.
    11:17 p.m. - 7 May 2015
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

In the run up to the indyref, the bitch fight between YouGov and Survation was hysterical.

YouGov were wrong then.

Wrong then. Right now.

Maybe.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    FPT

Scott_P said:

Today's Cameron would have lost against Blair in 2001 and 2005

IDS would have lost against Gordo, and Ed.
    Let's face it, IDS makes Corbyn look like the model of intellectualism and restraint. Quite why Leave were in raptures when he decided to appoint himself as their front man is a mystery. He's basically doing the same to the Brexit cause as he did to John Major and the Middle East. Everything he gets involved with he destroys.
  • Options
    Today - was this the sequence?
    1. Kellner wrote his article saying that phone polls were more reliable than online for the referendum.
    2. Then Yougov posted their article analysing phone vs online for polls the ycpomiisioned for that purpose.
    3. Shakespeare was prompted for a reaponse to Kellner's tweet and miaoooo.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    FTP

Reading Leaver comments on here today I am struggling to see where John Major was wrong in his analysis. Putting personalities aside, where do UKIPers and Tory leavers disagree?
    * They want to leave the EU.
    * They are climate change sceptics.
    * They want to substantially reduce immigration.
    * They want to fundamentally change the NHS.
    * They want to significantly cut public spending and taxes.
    * They want to restructure the BBC.

What am I missing here?

1. Yes.

2. I'm "agnostic" on climate change (i.e climate is clearly changing and I'm open all explanations for why that should be)

3. I've always been extremely relaxed about immigration actually. I see Brexit as a sovereignty issue primarily.

4. Not at all. Have always been a big supporter of the NHS and it concerns me greatly to see the Posh Boys bankrupting it.

5. I want sound public finances.

6. I've changed my mind on BBC reform actually. I think they should probably leave it alone.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Somewhat like JackW against Sunil at the general election ....

Someone just didn't know their ARSE from their ELBOW .... :smile:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,983

FPT

Scott_P said:

Let's face it, IDS makes Corbyn look like the model of intellectualism and restraint. Quite why Leave were in raptures when he decided to appoint himself as their front man is a mystery. He's basically doing the same to the Brexit cause as he did to John Major and the Middle East. Everything he gets involved with he destroys.
    Major destroyed himself. He has no one to blame but himself.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611

The roots? At the time Kellner was on TV denying that Yougov had got it wrong. Shakespeare was more honest.

A terrible night for us pollsters. I apologise for a poor performance. We need to find out why.

I remember Kellner defending YouGov's "exit poll" after the real exit poll blew them out of the water.
  • Options
    Is this what will break the EU and Turkey deal?

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 5m5 minutes ago
    Turkish parliament approves controversial immunity bill, clearing way for possible prosecution of pro-Kurdish MPs
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I remember Kellner defending YouGov's "exit poll" after the real exit poll blew them out of the water.
    He almost had a coronary doing it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117

FPT

Scott_P said:

He won in 1992 though against the odds
  • Options
    I agree with Mike on Martin Boon.
  • Options
    SouthamObserver said: (RESPONSE IN CAPS)
    Reading Leaver comments on here today I am struggling to see where John Major was wrong in his analysis. Where do UKIPers and Tory leavers disagree?
    * They want to leave the EU. AGREED
    * They are climate change sceptics. SOME DO AND SOME DO NOT
    * They want to substantially reduce immigration. SOME CONS 4LEAVE DO AND SOME DO NOT.
    * They want to fundamentally change the NHS. A MINORITY WANT CHANGE IN UKIP AND CON LEAVE.
    * They want to significantly cut public spending and taxes. SOME IN UKIP DO NOT.
    * They want to restructure the BBC. SOME DO, SOME DO NOT.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,774
    Stephan Shakespeare is clearly the more skilled navigator of YouGov office politics. But is he right this time in saying only YouGov are calling EUReferendum correctly, thanks to educational level weightings?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FPT

Scott_P said:

But by then he had already sowed the seeds of his own destruction with the idiotic ERM entry and was planning on yet more imbecilic decisions with the Maastricht treaty which he then found himself moaning about when it turned out the EU had pulled a fast one on him.

He really was one of the dumbest PMs we have suffered under.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    So with the NHS standing on the brink of bankruptcy can we say "Tim" was right on Lansley's Madness? ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985
    MaxPB said:

Remember remember the GE2015 polling.

Labour overstated
    Tories understated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

Now which is more pro leave.

The truth contained in a Surveymonkey !! poll and a "hidden" survation poll...

^_~

I'm very happy with the 15-4 £20 I put on leave earlier. It is only a few % wrong if Stephen Fisher & Matt Singh's models are correct - they're both in essence relying on the polls though...
  • Options

Turkish parliament approves controversial immunity bill, clearing way for possible prosecution of pro-Kurdish MPs

Absolutely disgusting. If the EU don't cancel the deal and the €6bn bung then I'll lose what little remaining respect I have for these Eurocrats.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    GIN1138 said:

So with the NHS standing on the brink of bankruptcy can we say "Tim" was right on Lansley's Madness? ;)

Yes. All is forgiven.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FPT

Scott_P said:

But by then he had already sowed the seeds of his own destruction with the idiotic ERM entry and was planning on yet more imbecilic decisions with the Maastricht treaty which he then found himself moaning about when it turned out the EU had pulled a fast one on him.

He got us an opt out from the Euro and the Social Chapter and left a growing economy, we have had worse PMs
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Remember remember the GE2015 polling.

Labour overstated
    Tories understated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

Now which is more pro leave.

The truth contained in a Surveymonkey !! poll and a "hidden" survation poll...

^_~

I'm very happy with the 15-4 £20 I put on leave earlier. It is only a few % wrong if Stephen Fisher & Matt Singh's models are correct - they're both in essence relying on the polls though...
    Online polls overestimated UKIP too though
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

YouGov were wrong then.

15–17 Sep YouGov/The Times/The Sun 3,237 45% 49% 6%

Seems pretty good to me.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well the Lansley plan boiled down to paying redundancy to a bunch of PCT managers and then having GPC bodies rehire them on consultancy rates at a cost of a one off £3bn and an on going additional £1.5-2bn in consultancy costs. Mad indeed.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alistair said:

YouGov were wrong then.

Seems pretty good to me.
    Definitely better than

16–17 Sep Survation/Daily Record 1,160 43% 48% 9%
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The NHS can't really go bankrupt though - it'd be a political choice to create that scenario. Same as the state pension or any other Gov't spending.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Hahahaha!

The stupid DC Tessa Jowell photo on Abbey Road about 'creative industries' has already been used as a leave poster, with the tag line 'if only we'd been in the Eu in the sixties, the Beatles might have made it'
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited May 2016
    MaxPB said:

Absolutely disgusting. If the EU don't cancel the deal and the €6bn bung then I'll lose what little remaining respect I have for these Eurocrats.
    It'll be conveniently not mentioned, in Merkel's haste to stop a few million more "refugees" turning up in Germany and Northern Europe over the summer.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

YouGov were wrong then.

Seems pretty good to me.
    It was this I was thinking from July 2014 when YouGov were predicting a massive victory for No, whilst Survation had it a bit closer.

http://survation.com/response-to-yesterdays-times-yougov-articles-and-yougovs-published-research-about-survations-scottish-independence-methodology/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242

YouGov were wrong then.

In what sense? The average winning margin for No in their polls in the last 6 weeks before the referendum was virtually identical, Yougov in fact slightly closer to the actual result.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

YouGov were wrong then.

Seems pretty good to me.
    This is the poll that worries me most about the current campaign, we can see that all of the DKs fell into the "status quo" camp in the end, if the same happens this time it will be a Remain blow out.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

YouGov were wrong then.

Seems pretty good to me.
    This is the poll that worries me most about the current campaign, we can see that all of the DKs fell into the "status quo" camp in the end, if the same happens this time it will be a Remain blow out.
    That was the day before polling though, so DK's much smaller than now
  • Options
    edited May 2016

YouGov were wrong then.

In what sense? The average winning margin for No in their polls in the last 6 weeks before the referendum was virtually identical, Yougov in fact slightly closer to the actual result.
    See my post by at 1.40pm

and this by YouGov/Kellner in July 2014

The test for us all will come in September. Meanwhile, what can we conclude about the state of the referendum campaign? This blog has necessarily been longer and more technical than normal. However, my conclusion is simple. A number of recent polls have produced widely-reported stories that the contest is close. They are wrong. It isn’t. The No campaign is well ahead. Its lead has held up for some months. Unless things change markedly in the next eleven weeks, Scotland will vote to remain in the United Kingdom, and by a decisive enough margin to settle the matter for many years to come.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/07/01/why-do-polls-scotland-vary-so-much/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,913

Reading Leaver comments on here today I am struggling to see where John Major was wrong in his analysis. Where do UKIPers and Tory leavers disagree?
    * They want to substantially reduce immigration. SOME CONS 4LEAVE DO AND SOME DO NOT.
    * They want to fundamentally change the NHS. A MINORITY WANT CHANGE IN UKIP AND CON LEAVE.
    * They want to significantly cut public spending and taxes. SOME IN UKIP DO NOT.

There are social differences between right wing Conservatives and supporters of UKIP, and right wing Conservatives are generally more right wing on economics than UKIP supporters.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

The NHS can't really go bankrupt though - it'd be a political choice to create that scenario. Same as the state pension or any other Gov't spending.
    True, but what the NHS can do and, in my experience frequently does is run out of cash. It is amazing the number of operations/treatments scheduled towards the end of the financial year that get put back until April and beyond. All in all its best not get diagnosed with something in January/February when the money is running out.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Alistair said:

YouGov were wrong then.

Seems pretty good to me.
    It was this I was thinking from July 2014 when YouGov were predicting a massive victory for No, whilst Survation had it a bit closer.

http://survation.com/response-to-yesterdays-times-yougov-articles-and-yougovs-published-research-about-survations-scottish-independence-methodology/
    Kelner's reverse ferret from 'it's all over' to 'too close to call' was certainly entertaining.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

There are social differences between right wing Conservatives and supporters of UKIP, and right wing Conservatives are generally more right wing on economics than UKIP supporters.
    Indeed and Kippers are more socially conservative as a whole as you suggest
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

True, but what the NHS can do and, in my experience frequently does is run out of cash. It is amazing the number of operations/treatments scheduled towards the end of the financial year that get put back until April and beyond. All in all its best not get diagnosed with something in January/February when the money is running out.
    Are you suggesting the Tories should be trying to create a 12 month NHS? :D
  • Options
    Ashcroft latest.

http://tinyurl.com/holsmlu

'“Scaremongering”, Hitler, Boris (again), and the view from Scotland: referendum focus groups with 34 days to go

..The 2014 vote really had led to new levels of civic engagement (“People on Facebook who used to put up videos of themselves lighting their farts are now talking about politics”)'

Not sure why the two should be mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Mortimer said:

Hahahaha!

The stupid DC Tessa Jowell photo on Abbey Road about 'creative industries' has already been used as a leave poster, with the tag line 'if only we'd been in the Eu in the sixties, the Beatles might have made it'

:lol:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

You are pigeon holeing people there, Mr. F and that is just identity politics under a different label. Not good.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2016
    Surely the main difference between Kippers and Eurosceptic/right-wing Tories is that the latter actually want to get into government so they can implement some of their policies?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Scott_P said:

He got us an opt out from the Euro and the Social Chapter and left a growing economy, we have had worse PMs
    An opt out on the social chapter that turned out to be nothing like he thought after the ECJ had done their dance. Kind of makes my point.

I can only assume it is senility that leads him to forget that little matter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Surely the main difference between Kippers and Eurosceptic or right-wing Tories is that the latter actually want to get into government so they can implement some of their policies?

Apparently not. The Eurosceptic or right-wing Tories are implacably opposed to Cameron. For winning. Twice.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712
    Toby Young ‏@toadmeister 3 mins3 minutes ago

Rumour circulating that Guardian is about to announce closure of print operation. Henceforth digital only. Fits with @arusbridger’s exit.

ho ho ho .......
  • Options
    @StephanShaxper:.@MSmithsonPB I still love Peter, it's just he's obviously wrong, as the new evidence clearly shows. 2-day phone polls skew to the educated

@MSmithsonPB: . @StephanShaxper Your methodology change trimming back UKIP support in samples seems right as does your current 4% IN lead
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Surely the main difference between Kippers and Eurosceptic/right-wing Tories is that the latter actually want to get into government so they can implement some of their policies?

And presumably why the likes of Bill Cash have stayed loyal to the Tory cause, even if he could easily have been a founding Kipper.

One of the reasons I like and respect Bill Cash, even if he has occasional fruitcakey excursions....

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

After a joyous boat cruise on Loch Ness I come back to find you still griping that you can't convince people to the right of you.

• Options

Rumour circulating that Guardian is about to announce closure of print operation. Henceforth digital only. Fits with @arusbridger’s exit.

ho ho ho .......

That seems like a mental decision.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2016

ho ho ho .......

Given the OTT reaction to the Indy closing, if this happens there will be a week of mourning on the Beeb.

However, I will believe it when I see it, as the Guardian still has reserves to eat into if they want, and their online operation doesn't make money either, so not like they are closing loss making part of the biz to concentrate on the money making one.
  • Options

After a joyous boat cruise on Loch Ness I come back to find you still griping that you can't convince people to the right of you.

I wasn't griping. I was praising.

Any update on how the monster is planning to vote?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712

ho ho ho .......

Given the OTT reaction to the Indy closing, if this happens there will be a week of mourning on the Beeb.

However, I will believe it when I see it, as the Guardian still has reserves to eat into if they want.
    The Beeb will have to re-jig their paper reviews to include online stuff for....ah..'reasons'.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    What on earth will the BBC newsstaff read all morning
  • Options
    edited May 2016

What on earth will the BBC newsstaff read all morning

The web version...will save them a few quid not having to buy in all those print copies.
  • Options

Toby Young ‏@toadmeister

ho ho ho .......

@annemcelvoy: Analysis of print sales rarely deals w doggedly unfash titles. The "Oor Wullie" effect Guard169,424. Sun Post158,156 https://t.co/CNmV5XRTzf
  • Options

I wasn't griping. I was praising.

Any update on how the monster is planning to vote?
    Only Monster I saw was called Hosie whosie in a 3/4/5 some with some journalists and his expenses. It's a SNP scandal and they've all got their Nicolas in a twist.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

Surely the main difference between Kippers and Eurosceptic or right-wing Tories is that the latter actually want to get into government so they can implement some of their policies?

Apparently not. The Eurosceptic or right-wing Tories are implacably opposed to Cameron. For winning. Twice.
    But winning to what point or purpose, Mr. P? That is a question I hear from Conservatives who are not particularly right-wing or even Eurosceptic. What is the point of working to get a Conservative government elected when what you get is a continuation of what the last Labour government was doing?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    At a GSS conference this week we had a talk from a statto who had been on secondment to the Guardian to get the media perspective on stats that government departments produced. She said that they have 19 people dedicated to producing charts and only they were allowed to make them.
  • Options

ho ho ho .......

However, I will believe it when I see it, as the Guardian still has reserves to eat into if they want, and their online operation doesn't make money either, so not like they are closing loss making part of the biz to concentrate on the money making one.
    I imagine eventually at least part of the online paper will be subscription only, especially now Rusbridger is gone
  • Options

ho ho ho .......

Was it @arusbridger that backed that great idea to go for a special Berliner layout which prevented them re-selling the massive print facilities to others....
    http://www.theguardian.com/gpc/berliner-format
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But winning to what point or purpose, Mr. P? That is a question I hear from Conservatives who are not particularly right-wing or even Eurosceptic. What is the point of working to get a Conservative government elected is actually what you get is a continuation of what the last Labour government was doing?
    And literally the last Government. A PM who wants power but doesn't know what to do with it and a continuity Brown as CoE.
  • Options

What is the point of working to get a Conservative government elected is actually what you get is a continuation of what the last Labour government was doing?

It's not.

If it were, Ed Miliband would be PM
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    According to some on PB..the taxpayer should just continue to pour endless amounts of money into the NHS..absolute nonsense..at the current rate of spend every penny raised in tax will go to the NHS and bugger the rest of the services...education,roads etc we would all be healthy but marooned and thick.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What is the point of working to get a Conservative government elected is actually what you get is a continuation of what the last Labour government was doing?

It's not.

would we notice the difference ?
  • Options

We wouldn't be having a referendum...
  • Options
    I know Toby is well connected, but seems strange that if he has the "scoop". The likes of Staines seems to always been ahead of the curve when it comes to inside track on Guardian hiring and firing etc.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's not.

Cameron is the heir to Blair and Osborne is Continuity Brown.
  • Options
    Bairstow showing the rest of the England lineup how you bat at Headingley.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,726

Scott_P said:

But winning to what point or purpose, Mr. P? That is a question I hear from Conservatives who are not particularly right-wing or even Eurosceptic. What is the point of working to get a Conservative government elected when what you get is a continuation of what the last Labour government was doing?
    The mirror image of Labour and Tony Blair.
    All parties should accept that PR using STV is the way forward. Stand for what you believe in rather than shoehorning yourself into one of the coalitions that are the Tory and Labour parties.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

We wouldn't be having a referendum...
    That's not much to go on really is it ?

same spend and borrow, little reform, unbalanced economy all with lashing of spin, bluff and infantile politics.

There's more to life than the referendum as Dave appears to have forgotten.
  • Options
    Guardian closing ..chaos in the Fish and Chip industry..what the hell will they use for wrapping paper
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's not.

Cameron is the heir to Blair and Osborne is Continuity Brown.
    If someone had showed me the economic stats for the last 6 years and not told me it was a Tory chancellor I would have believed Labour won in 2010 and Brown/Darling were still in charge.
  • Options

According to some on PB..the taxpayer should just continue to pour endless amounts of money into the NHS..absolute nonsense..at the current rate of spend every penny raised in tax will go to the NHS and bugger the rest of the services...education,roads etc we would all be healthy but marooned and thick.

Sounds like a classic Cameron supporter.
  • Options

There's more to life than the referendum

Not for Kippers
  • Options

Scott_P said:

All parties should accept that PR using STV is the way forward. Stand for what you believe in rather than shoehorning yourself into one of the coalitions that are the Tory and Labour parties.
    And shoehorn yourself - if you are lucky - into some kind of incoherent coalition after the election with a rag-bag of directly contradictory aims chosen more or less at random, and for which precisely no-one voted.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not for Kippers
    Havent you already told them to F off and don't come back ?

I suspect you'll find kippers have quite a large range of issues they find important too.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's not.

Well, I am damned if I can see much more than a fag paper between the policies carried forward by Cameron and Co and those of the Blair/Brown era. The presentation is different, I grant you but the actual effects, maybe not so much. In fact in some areas I think the Cameron clique has rowed back from reforms being pushed by Blair/Brown.

Oh, and we do still have a structural deficit of how much? About £70bn a year isn't it?
  • Options
    What also worries me about the current Remain campaign is that if a Tory Leaver ever became PM, there may be enough, err, people in the Parliamentary party to cross the floor and lead a "unity government" or "grand coalition" that would ensure we stayed in the EU. Some MPs have shows that their loyalty doesn't lie with this country, but instead with Brussels. Obviously the PM doesn't fit that category, but there are some Tories who I'm beginning to wonder about.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And shoehorn yourself - if you are lucky - into some kind of incoherent coalition after the election with a rag-bag of directly contradictory aims chosen more or less at random, and for which precisely no-one voted.
    Well I can see how you wouldn't like the FPTP stranglehold broken, but at some point there will be another Labour Govt and then you'll do a volte face.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Not for Kippers
    Havent you already told them to F off and don't come back ?

I suspect you'll find kippers have quite a large range of issues they find important too.
    He's not retwatting, which means he's having to engage his one brain cell, it doesn't normally work out very well for him.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    MaxPB said:

What also worries me about the current Remain campaign is that if a Tory Leaver ever became PM, there may be enough, err, people in the Parliamentary party to cross the floor and lead a "unity government" or "grand coalition" that would ensure we stayed in the EU. Some MPs have shows that their loyalty doesn't lie with this country, but instead with Brussels. Obviously the PM doesn't fit that category, but there are some Tories who I'm beginning to wonder about.

OK, doubtless Ken Clarke tops your list, but after him....?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Farage blasts Vote Leave: "Stuck up people who rarely leave SW1. I'm not sure they want me to exist but who cares." https://t.co/HPfMXGIZ0S
  • Options

ho ho ho .......

All BBC programmes will be broadcast with a black border.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What also worries me about the current Remain campaign is that if a Tory Leaver ever became PM, there may be enough, err, people in the Parliamentary party to cross the floor and lead a "unity government" or "grand coalition" that would ensure we stayed in the EU.

Are you drunk?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

Osborne.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Quite.
  • Options

Well I can see how you wouldn't like the FPTP stranglehold broken, but at some point there will be another Labour Govt and then you'll do a volte face.

No I won't. If and when (Allah forbid) we get another Labour government, under FPTP it can only be one which has built an internal coalition broad enough to include a wide range of voters in a wide range of constituencies. That will limit the damage.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited May 2016
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

Osborne.
    I guessed it would be. Sorry, mate, you are becoming seriously unhinged and I didn't think I would ever say that to you.

And to assuage your doomladen scenario. Not a chance. If Remain win comfortably, then it's quite possible, perhaps probable, that a Leave supporter will become party leader (e.g. if Gove were a candidate, I'd seriously think of giving him my vote). But the condition would have to be that he accepted the result of the referendum - the people's expressed will - and not seek to overturn it for a generation (as they say these days).

Such a PM would have the inestimable advantage of being up to stand robustly for the UK's interests within the EU.
  • Options
    @GdnPolitics: Tories to lose third of members to Ukip if UK stays in EU, says Farage https://t.co/TKrew2I3w0
  • Options

No I won't. If and when (Allah forbid) we get another Labour government, under FPTP it can only be one which has built an internal coalition broad enough to include a wide range of voters in a wide range of constituencies. That will limit the damage.
    chortle

I seem to remember Blair had quite a broad coalition.

He interpreted it as meaning he could do what he damned well liked.

Misplaced optimism Mr N.
  • Options
    Overhead in the BBC canteen...

"Have you seen that tweet from that tw@t Toby Young about the Guardian closing".

"Well that is clearly bollocks, everybody I know reads it".
  • Options

ho ho ho .......

All BBC programmes will be broadcast with a black border.
    A day of Guardian related special programming...
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Scott_P said:

This is right. The unfortunate fact is both main parties are made up of a coalition beween careerists/opportunists/pragmatists and those with actually believe in some kind of conservatism or socialism. Unfortunately much of the hard grunt at least away from the metropolis is done by the latter group. Once you've pissed them off the party has problems. Labour have already experienced this hence Corbyn.
  • Options

No need to worry Richard, McDonnell will have the moderating influence of the SNP as he secures largest party status against George Osborne in 2025.
This discussion has been closed.