Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Zac Goldsmith led between 22% to 30% with the over 65s and

124»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    MP_SE said:

If Europe was really at risk of attack from Russia then you would expect most European countries to actually comply with the NATO target of spending at least 2% of their GDP on defence. Very few European countries comply with the target therefore it is safe to assume the risk is minimal.

There is an alternative theory: most Eurozone countries are in dire fiscal straits and increasing spending on the military is practically impossible.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    malcolmg said:

chestnut said:
    He's a laughing stock.
    Who TSE or Cameron
    Remember the time when TSE was on the leave side.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Meanwhile the Car Industry appears to be under threat:

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/729423019945435136

So, if we forced them to pay above the market price for steel, they would be in a better position.

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Entirely OT and several years behind the curve, but The Americans is the best TV series I've binge watched since Dexter.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

chestnut said:
    He's a laughing stock.
    Who TSE or Cameron
  • Options

Charles said:

David Cameron's warning seems fair enough. There's at least one aggressive militaristic leader who would be delighted to be able to foment disunity and take further military action if the opportunity presents itself.

Of course, if it happened, Leavers would deny any connection with their referendum-inspired isolationism.

Curiously enough, we managed to avoid WWIII as a member of NATO for almost 25 years prior to our membership of the EEC, and that was during the greatest flashpoint of the Cuban Missile Crisis where there over a million Soviet troops facing off against us in Eastern Europe.

I think we (and Europe) will be ok.
    Why do you think that Vladimir Putin is keen on Britain leaving? He sees opportunities.
    Vladimir Putin won't be around for ever.

He's an opportunistic thug, faced by a historically weak generation of compromised and pusillanimous Western leaders.

Brexit is bigger than Putin.
    So the correct action is to make the current generation of Western leaders weaker, more compromised and more pusillanimous? Really?
    Our NATO membership is NOT at stake on June 23rd.
    You cannot compartmentalise international relations in that way. Sanctions against Russia are undertaken at an EU level, for example.
    How pathetic can you get
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    I see the Conservative party is making itself look stupid again.

Or should that be exposing its stupidity again.

Perhaps that explains why its just been beaten by a superannuated Dave Spart and why the LibDems are reviving in southern England.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

David Cameron's warning seems fair enough. There's at least one aggressive militaristic leader who would be delighted to be able to foment disunity and take further military action if the opportunity presents itself.

Of course, if it happened, Leavers would deny any connection with their referendum-inspired isolationism.

Dear Dear how the mighty have fallen , now just a Tory mouthpiece spouting lies and propaganda
    Evening Malc! :)

Are you for IN or OUT? Or maybe your for shake it all about? :smiley:
    OUT , against all Remain nutters like Cameron. How do these idiots sleep at night.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Curiously enough, we managed to avoid WWIII as a member of NATO for almost 25 years prior to our membership of the EEC, and that was during the greatest flashpoint of the Cuban Missile Crisis where there over a million Soviet troops facing off against us in Eastern Europe.

Why do you think that Vladimir Putin is keen on Britain leaving? He sees opportunities.

He's an opportunistic thug, faced by a historically weak generation of compromised and pusillanimous Western leaders.

So the correct action is to make the current generation of Western leaders weaker, more compromised and more pusillanimous? Really?
    You cannot compartmentalise international relations in that way. Sanctions against Russia are undertaken at an EU level, for example.
    How pathetic can you get
    Pathetic is dismissing an 8/1 bet out of hand that comes home that night.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

If Europe was really at risk of attack from Russia then you would expect most European countries to actually comply with the NATO target of spending at least 2% of their GDP on defence. Very few European countries comply with the target therefore it is safe to assume the risk is minimal.

There is an alternative theory: most Eurozone countries are in dire fiscal straits and increasing spending on the military is practically impossible.
    Except they wouldn't increase military spending to the levels asked for by the US even when they weren't in dire fiscal straits. Basically they want the US to protect them and aren't willing to stump up themselves to cover part of the cost.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Mortimer said:

Entirely OT and several years behind the curve, but The Americans is the best TV series I've binge watched since Dexter.

Not seen that, is it on Netflix or Amazon?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

chestnut said:
    He's a laughing stock.
    Who TSE or Cameron
    Both
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Dear Dear how the mighty have fallen , now just a Tory mouthpiece spouting lies and propaganda

OUT , against all Remain nutters like Cameron. How do these idiots sleep at night.
    Good man! :smiley:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Mortimer said:

Amazon. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell play the leads - Russian Spies in deep American cover.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

So, if we forced them to pay above the market price for steel, they would be in a better position.

Well, it's a view.
    I've not read the article but wouldn't it be saying that its the absence of a local steel producer which would be damaging to British car plants ?

Whether that's true or not I don't know.
  • Options
    Jeremy Vine
    The most disturbing thing I’ve yet read about journalism in the 21st century comes from one of Obama’s comms people https://t.co/Ykpm1XbqDY
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

How pathetic can you get
    one swallow does not a summer make. You may have called that but to support that Cameron bilge is very silly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Amazon. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell play the leads - Russian Spies in deep American cover.
    Thanks will give it a go
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

How pathetic can you get
    Yes Alistair, when you think rationally your posts are indeed worth reading.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I see that the site's hardcore Leavers are of the view that Britain can waltz out of the EU without any short, medium or long term damage to relations with other countries and without in any way destabilising international relations.

And then they suggest that this is beyond doubt. Remarkable.

Were there any Anglo-European Wars between 1945 and 1973?
    No. If I recall we only got off our arses when the Egyptians, Malaysians, Irish got a bit ansty or when the UN thought Korea would be a fun place to visit. But when it came to Europe we thought it was a bit forren and gave not two damns, 'cos the Russians had nukes and we thought it best not to care. So we let the Russians send secret police into Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania, West Germany, et al, stood and watched when the Russians sent tanks into Hungary, and let them destroy the Prague Spring. Good old us. Yay.

We let the Russians do that because, for better or worse, that is the deal we did with them at the end of WW2. Its not right but it had little or nothing to do with the politicians at the time. Do you really think they should have started a world war over the Russians doing what we had already agreed they could do?
    The UK did not consent to, nor did it approve of, Czechia 68, Hungary 56, Berlin 61, or Berlin 48. We "let" the Russians do it because if we intervened they would nuke us and we would die. Sunil's contention that there were no Anglo-European wars 45-73 has to be placed in the context of the Cold War
    We had already agreed at the end of WW2 that those countries were part of the Russian sphere of influence. No one in the West was going to go to war with Russia however much we might have disapproved of their actions.

It is interesting that the only European war came about not because of any change in the EU but because of a change in the balance of power between NATO and the former Soviet Union after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

The EU has done nothing to prevent war in Europe. That is all entirely down to the balance of power between East and West and the maintenance of agreed red lines.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Mr Putin is making an offer for free land to settle to Brits who are fed up with life here:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/668073/Vladimir-Putin-offers-disillusioned-British-citizens-free-land-in-Russia

LondonBob must be first in the queue.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

viewcode said:

I see that the site's hardcore Leavers are of the view that Britain can waltz out of the EU without any short, medium or long term damage to relations with other countries and without in any way destabilising international relations.

And then they suggest that this is beyond doubt. Remarkable.

Were there any Anglo-European Wars between 1945 and 1973?
    No. If I recall we only got off our arses when the Egyptians, Malaysians, Irish got a bit ansty or when the UN thought Korea would be a fun place to visit. But when it came to Europe we thought it was a bit forren and gave not two damns, 'cos the Russians had nukes and we thought it best not to care. So we let the Russians send secret police into Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania, West Germany, et al, stood and watched when the Russians sent tanks into Hungary, and let them destroy the Prague Spring. Good old us. Yay.

We let the Russians do that because, for better or worse, that is the deal we did with them at the end of WW2. Its not right but it had little or nothing to do with the politicians at the time. Do you really think they should have started a world war over the Russians doing what we had already agreed they could do?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentages_agreement
  • Options
    Goodnight all, my ribs have been thoroughly tickled.
  • Options

A typo on my part, but for the avoidance of doubt, I so hope you're campaigning for Leave.

I have been campaigning for Leave for weeks. Once that is over I will campaign for whichever party has the best chance of defeating the Tories at whatever elections we have in the future. I will enjoy your squeals of anguish when that day comes.
    Never hate your enemies, it effects your judgement.

Just saying.
    You are not my enemy. You are just someone I scorn. You don't deserve to be regarded as an enemy as that would imply some respect and I certainly have none of that for you.
    The one thing that the headlines have done tonight is provoke fury from the leavers and really the animosity is off the scale. I am prepared to pass an opinion tomorrow when I have listened to the speech and if it is as the headlines I will express disapproval. In the meantime I wish everyone a good night's rest and hope that civility will return to all soon.
    Sorry you misunderstand me Big G. My animosity is in no way directed at Remainers in general. People like Alistair Meeks and yourself, although I think you are wrong, deserve to be heard and responded to with courtesy. I complimented Alistair a few days ago when he reminded us of the piece he wrote last year on his difficulty in deciding for or against Brexit.

It is TSE himself who is the target of my scorn. The man who railed for so long about one man leaving a political party and coined special titles for someone who he claimed quite openly was a traitor, now reduced to the same sort of behaviour. It is utterly hypocritical.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited May 2016
    Andrew Sullivan's apocalyptic vision of a Trump presidency 'To call this Fascism doesn't do justice to Fascism. Fascism had, in some measure, an ideology and occasional coherence that Trump lacks....those Republicans trying to thwart this monster deserve our passionate support, not our disdain....They should resist any temptation to loyally back the nominee or to sit this election out. They must take the fight to Trump at every opportunity, unite with Democrats and independents against him and be prepared to sacrifice one election in order to save their party and their country.
    For Trump is not just a wacky politician of the far right, or a riveting television spectacle, or a Twitter phenomonon. He is not just another candidate to be analysed by TV pundits in the same breadth as all others. In terms of our liberal democracy and constitutional order, Trump is an extinction-level event. It's long past time that we started treating him as such.'
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-tyrant-in-the-making-wnl7clrs5
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Is this the sort of forensic analysis your clients depend on you for? 'Disunited' 'Putin sees opportunities'

Cretintastic.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

Mr Putin is making an offer for free land to settle to Brits who are fed up with life here:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/668073/Vladimir-Putin-offers-disillusioned-British-citizens-free-land-in-Russia

Obama must be at the back of the queue. :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

He is already there...
  • Options

Goodnight all, my ribs have been thoroughly tickled.

I'm not sure becoming a national laughing stock was entirely the idea from Downing St.
  • Options

Obama must be at the back of the queue. :)
    #BackOfTheNet
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

matt said:

GIN1138 said:
    It's the telegraph. The chances of honesty or accuracy are limited.
    More chance of accuracy and honesty from the Telegraph than there is from Cameron.
    The telegraph, mail and times have made an issue of this before David Cameron has spoken but one thing it has done is to put the spotlight on him tomorrow and diminish Boris's big speech. We will see how this pans out
    He'll either confirm his wild-eyed claims, or look like a coward if he tones it down from the briefed version.

I wonder if this is his jumping the shark moment.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Based on the real life case of the Illegals programme.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies-tim-alex-foley
  • Options

matt said:

GIN1138 said:
    It's the telegraph. The chances of honesty or accuracy are limited.
    More chance of accuracy and honesty from the Telegraph than there is from Cameron.
    The telegraph, mail and times have made an issue of this before David Cameron has spoken but one thing it has done is to put the spotlight on him tomorrow and diminish Boris's big speech. We will see how this pans out
    He'll either confirm his wild-eyed claims, or look like a coward if he tones it down from the briefed version.

I wonder if this is his jumping the shark moment.
    It's too late even if he does back-peddle. The narrative is set and Brexit = WWIII is what people will remember from Cameron's speech even if he doesn't say it,
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Well, it's a view.
    So: Port Talbot will close because the Government can't support loss-making industries.
    The EU makes the rule about supporting loss-making industries
    Therefore the EU is going to close down ALL UK car production.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Since 2012 was considered by all to have been Ed Miliband's high watermark and since this time in 2016, Labour's performance is virtually identical [ -19 in Councillors + Mayoralty gains ], the question needs to be asked:

Why did the Tories do so badly ? Is it because of the EU ref ?

The Conservatives didn't do especially badly for a governing party. They performed, relative to the Opposition, as well as they did in 1984, and as Labour did in 2002. Nobody thought Neil Kinnock or Iain Duncan Smith would go on to win the subsequent general election.
    They performed far worse than Harold Macmillan in 1960 and 1961.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Bristol local elections — popular vote totals (using highest vote method)

Lab: 51,520 (35.60%)
    Con: 30,544 (21.10%)
    Greens: 30,009 (20.73%)
    LD 24,130 (16.67%)
    UKIP 4,273 (2.95%)
    Ind 1,566 (1.08%)
    Others 2,695 (1.86%)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited May 2016
    'One of the patterns that have emerged with a lot of the EU referendum polling is that the over 65s favour Brexit by a substantial margin, which gives the Leaver side a lot of hope that they may win the referendum on June 23rd, because older voters have had a higher turnout than younger voters in past elections.'

That might be true if the age profiles in London were the same as the rest of the UK.

The proportion of the population of inner London over 60 is 12%, outer London 17% compared with 22% outside London.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Surprised people are rubbishing this thread header. It seems interesting to me. This is quite a striking fact:

"Zac had leads ranging between 22% and 30% with the overs 65s, yet still lost by nearly 14%, which these polls accurately predicted."

I think that if I were told that a poll had a 14% lead for X but that over-65s broke by a 22% margin for not-X I'd wonder if the poll was ascribing too much certainty to vote to younger people.

Well, we don't know how over-65s broke in the actual election. Heck, maybe they voted 50/50 on the day. But it's food for thought.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

'One of the patterns that have emerged with a lot of the EU referendum polling is that the over 65s favour Brexit by a substantial margin, which gives the Leaver side a lot of hope that they may win the referendum on June 23rd, because older voters have had a higher turnout than younger voters in past elections.'

That might be true if the age profiles in London were the same as the rest of the UK.

The proportion of the population of inner London over 60 is 12%, outer London 17% compared with 22% outside London.

Ah, OK. So what's the figure for London as a whole? 15%?
  • Options
    @Wanderer

'Surprised people are rubbishing this thread header. It seems interesting to me.'

Because the age profiles in London are completely different from the rest of the UK, which some very basic research would have shown, but that clearly didn't fit the narrative.

• Options
    john_zims said:

@Wanderer

'Surprised people are rubbishing this thread header. It seems interesting to me.'

Because the age profiles in London are completely different from the rest of the UK, which some very basic research would have shown, but that clearly didn't fit the narrative.

I couldn't give a toss about "narratives". I'm interesting in things that might contradict the assumptions on which I bet.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @Wanderer

'Ah, OK. So what's the figure for London as a whole? 15%?'

I would guess around 15% for 12% of the UK population versus 22% for 88% of the population.

Small difference !
  • Options
    Hillary Clinton received 53% of all campaign contributions from Wall Street in March. https://t.co/RHIH5IiFX8
  • Options
    @Wanderer

'I couldn't give a toss about "narratives". I'm interesting in things that might contradict the assumptions on which I bet.'

Nor could I, but the basic assumption of the thread is completely misleading.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Wanderer

I would guess around 15% for 12% of the UK population versus 22% for 88% of the population.

Small difference !

So the all-UK figure will be about 21%. I don't think that entirely dismisses the subject. 22-30% is a big lead.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

john_zims said:

@Wanderer

Small difference !

So the all-UK figure will be about 21%. I don't think that entirely dismisses the subject. 22-30% is a big lead.
    Also, one needs look at the proportion of those eligible to vote, not the population.
  • Options
    @Wanderer

'Also, one needs look at the proportion of those eligible to vote, not the population.'

Yes, approx. 1.2 million London versus approx. 12 million rest of UK
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

At least you're consistent - against rule from both London & Brussels......Nicola, on the other hand, is strongly for FREEDOM from London, but not Brussels...
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    This thread is the kind of meta-narrative extrapolation of which we should be wary.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Estobar said:

This thread is the kind of meta-narrative extrapolation of which we should be wary.

I think we should be wary of such terms as "meta-narrative extrapolation" :)

The subheading may well fall into the category QTWTAIN, however.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TSE is right to flag this up. Were the oldies as certain to vote as they indicated? Or were they simply outvoted by youngsters galvinised by the campaign? As the poll was accurate overall, and in line with other polls, I suspect the latter more than the former.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I suspect that even the 'oldies' got fed up with the slow moving, somnolent, half dead, Zac.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Remain must be seeing polling that is putting Leave ahead, they wouldn't be going with this sort of thing otherwise . This is Dave shitting himself, look at the Zac campaign they thought "oh shit we are going to lose here we might as well go for broke" I think that is what is happening here.

I am convinced now Leave is ahead with a 65% turnout llikely.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    People asked the wrong question, not: is Jon Snow dead?
    But is Zac Goldsmith alive?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Well, it's a view.
    So: Port Talbot will close because the Government can't support loss-making industries.
    The only way to ensure that Port Talbot survives is to substantially increase the tariffs on imported steel, something we could do if we left the EU.

The consequences of raising tariffs on steel, would be that steel consumers (like the car industry) would pay more for steel.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Always remember and never forget: anyone who votes REMAIN is a foul and vicious traitor. They should be tortured to death, yesterday, along with all their loved ones.

DOWN with reason, UP with fear and rage!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Well, it's a view.
    The only way to ensure that Port Talbot survives is to substantially increase the tariffs on imported steel, something we could do if we left the EU.

The consequences of raising tariffs on steel, would be that steel consumers (like the car industry) would pay more for steel.
    Britain 'blocked' EU bid to raise China steel tariff that could have protected the industry from cheap imports
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3518278/UK-blocked-EU-bid-raise-China-steel-tariff-protected-industry-cheap-imports.html
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Well, it's a view.

But the proportion of the price of a new car that is attributable to the price of steel is pretty tiny.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Well, it's a view.

Britain 'blocked' EU bid to raise China steel tariff that could have protected the industry from cheap imports
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3518278/UK-blocked-EU-bid-raise-China-steel-tariff-protected-industry-cheap-imports.html
    Yes, well even a lot of Tories think Osborne is an idiot.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    HYUFD said:

Andrew Sullivan's apocalyptic vision of a Trump presidency 'To call this Fascism doesn't do justice to Fascism. Fascism had, in some measure, an ideology and occasional coherence that Trump lacks....those Republicans trying to thwart this monster deserve our passionate support, not our disdain....They should resist any temptation to loyally back the nominee or to sit this election out. They must take the fight to Trump at every opportunity, unite with Democrats and independents against him and be prepared to sacrifice one election in order to save their party and their country.
    For Trump is not just a wacky politician of the far right, or a riveting television spectacle, or a Twitter phenomonon. He is not just another candidate to be analysed by TV pundits in the same breadth as all others. In terms of our liberal democracy and constitutional order, Trump is an extinction-level event. It's long past time that we started treating him as such.'

It's paywall, but on the basis of the extract, Sullivan seems to feel that incoherence is worse than fascism. I wouldn't go that far. It's possible that Trump would be OK, probable that he'd just blunder around, very unlikely that he'd be an existential threat to liberal democracy.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Followed by Farage.
  • Options

It's paywall, but on the basis of the extract, Sullivan seems to feel that incoherence is worse than fascism. I wouldn't go that far. It's possible that Trump would be OK, probable that he'd just blunder around, very unlikely that he'd be an existential threat to liberal democracy.

He might even do a little better than that. He has a track record for preferring to sit back and manage, and hire experts to handle the details. A government which consisted of domain experts under the direction of a competent manager would be an interesting diversion from the usual party hacks and quid-pro-quo power broking.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Well, it's a view.

But the proportion of the cost of a new car that is attributable to the price of steel is pretty tiny.
    Nevertheless, the increase in steel costs comes directly out of the profits of the car company.

Of course, we could impose tariffs on cars imported into the UK, to reflect the fact that foreign cars would benefit from cheaper steel.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

But the proportion of the cost of a new car that is attributable to the price of steel is pretty tiny.

Nevertheless, the increase in steel costs comes directly out of the profits of the car company.

Of course, we could impose tariffs on cars imported into the UK, to reflect the fact that foreign cars would benefit from cheaper steel.
    Bemoaning small profit cuts for rich multinationals, while true is unlikely to find much sympathy with voters. I would guess there is plenty of price elasticity in the new car market, its very much a luxury item, putting another five hundred quid on the tag of a new Honda is going to put off almost no buyers.
  • Options

Always remember and never forget: anyone who votes REMAIN is a foul and vicious traitor. They should be tortured to death, yesterday, along with all their loved ones.

DOWN with reason, UP with fear and rage!

This tune is getting a bit old, do you know any others ? ;)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Bemoaning small profit cuts for rich multinationals, while true is unlikely to find much sympathy with voters. I would guess there is plenty of price elasticity in the new car market, its very much a luxury item, putting another five hundred quid on the tag of a new Honda is going to put off almost no buyers.
    Good luck with encouraging companies like Nissan to invest in the UK in future!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

TSE is right to flag this up. Were the oldies as certain to vote as they indicated? Or were they simply outvoted by youngsters galvinised by the campaign? As the poll was accurate overall, and in line with other polls, I suspect the latter more than the former.

How does the elderly population of London compare with the population, one might expect London to be younger than average as oldies move out to quieter areas as they retire, and especially convert their two bedroom terrace into a big detached house in the west country or the north.

EDIT: Ah I see this was discussed earlier.. I agree, London is younger, so the headline post is misleading, the majority of a tiny number of oldies voted for Zac, and Khan won, shocker.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

I seem to remember the CEO of Nissan (UK) saying pretty much the same about the Euro, and yet here we are, if they can make money they will invest, even if that money is 5-10% less than they would ideally like.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    I agree with @Wanderer that this is an interesting thread header. The consensus over the last several years is that it is smart to overweight what the oldies are thinking because they have much higher turnout and in moderate turnouts overall they are substantially overweight in the final result.

If these figures reflect how people actually voted it would suggest that this tendency can be overstated. The key word, however, is "if". My impression from several hundred miles away is that in the last week or so Zac's campaign pretty much imploded with widespread distaste at the character assassination stuff. It is not inconceivable that this distaste might have been particularly strong amongst the old.

Even if that proves not to be the case, however, it would suggest that the watch the oldies theory can be over used and has limitations. And that is worth thinking about.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

I seem to remember the CEO of Nissan (UK) saying pretty much the same about the Euro, and yet here we are, if they can make money they will invest, even if that money is 5-10% less than they would ideally like.
    I don't think they would shut down. But why would they invest more. For example, Nissan could invest in a new plant , say, near Drogheda, take skilled labour from Sunderland for a couple of years at a good pay. I am sure the Irish government would give a lot of the facilities as cheaply as possible under EU rules.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Tales from the count in Dundee. My daughter reported that several SNP supporters present were talking about voting Leave to try and precipitate a further referendum.

This is of course beyond stupid because if Scotland votes Leave as well as rUK then there is no basis for a referendum. In any event the mood music from on high is very much that this is not the time.

It does, however, reflect the impatience and frustration in SNP ranks amongst their more ardent supporters (and you have to be pretty ardent to hang around a count for hours doing very little wondering what is going on elsewhere). Managing that frustration is going to be a difficult and tricky task for Nicola. In the meantime Leave might gain some unexpected supporters. I saw Malcolm declare himself for Leave overnight.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

HYUFD said:

I believe that Cameron attacked Trump as he did because he (Cammo) had word that Trump would do whatever was needed to remove Muslim Mayors and "ex-Muslim" Cabinet ministers.

He is an existential threat to liberal democracy, and come November I expect at least one Peebie in three to be rejoicing that he is. After all, Tories have already started saying that Sajid Khan's election was rigged.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    surbiton said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

I don't think they would shut down. But why would they invest more. For example, Nissan could invest in a new plant , say, near Drogheda, take skilled labour from Sunderland for a couple of years at a good pay. I am sure the Irish government would give a lot of the facilities as cheaply as possible under EU rules.
    But the UK could offer facilities as cheaply as possible under UK rules.
This discussion has been closed.