Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2016
    For me, Adam Bienkov made the best point about the mayoral race:
    But even if there had been some truth to their portrayal of Khan, attempting to run a race-based campaign in a city as overwhelmingly multicultural and tolerant as London was always going to be counter-productive. At the start of the campaign, many on the left were at best ambivalent, if not openly hostile to Khan. But by running such a vicious and dishonest race, Goldsmith actively mobilised left and liberal voters to Khan's defence. As one Tory big beast said privately this afternoon, Zac's campaign was blowing "a dog whistle in a city where there's no dog."
    Khan is a dull career politician, one who would not naturally have driven a very high turnout on his personality alone. Had Goldsmith played his cards right and been seen as neutral and unthreatening to large swathes of Labour voters, he could've kept turnout from Labour voters down. But a Trump-style "you can't trust the darkies" campaign was always going to just fire up the younger "right-on" generation and get them much more determined to vote Labour, than they would've been if it was only Khan's personal qualities alone to get them out to vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Chameleon said:
    If it's "hundreds of votes" in each constituency... no.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sounds like a real f**k-up at the London counting centre.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Maybe now is a good time to bet on Ruth Davidson replacing Nicola Sturgeon as First Minister sometime.

Who needs to bet on that? If it does happen I will derive far more pleasure watching the cybernats implode than any financial reward :p
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Matt is unusually hard tomorrow (but still very funny):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Chzfv8xWUAAEdqj?format=jpg&name=large
  • Options

Re Crosby

Paul Waugh
    @benatipsosmori but he says he had nothing to do with this campaign, it was Fullbrook not him

LOL, how convenient he's only saying this once the results are in.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The UKIP Welsh AMs are

Caroline Jones (South West Wales)
    Nathan Gill MEP (North Wales)
    Michelle Brown (North Wales)
    Mark Reckless (South Waled East)
    David Rowlands (South Waled East)
    Neil Hamilton (Mid and West Wales)
    Gareth Bennett (South West Central)

AndyJS said:

Mark Reckless got elected as well as Neil Hamilton? I missed that.

Neil Hamilton? Back in office? Sorry, but this just makes me feel sick.
    I confess I don't actually know what it is he did, back in the day, to gain his reputation. When I see the name I think sleaze, but I have no details on it. Presumably it was a long time ago so I guess it comes down yo was it so bad he should never hold public office .again or is he just a person with unpleasant views. Either way, plenty of people who fit both have been elected sadly.
    I think it was cash for questions - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash-for-questions_affair
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The UKIP Welsh AMs are

AndyJS said:

Blame the electorate. Its not as if he was an unknown candidate and he was elected under the rules.
    Bit difficult when he was on the list and not elected in a constituency
    He was on the list though, Big_G, so his candidature was known. If the electorate didn't want him then they would not have voted for his party. We might not like the rules and we might hate some of the results, but they are the rules and I don't recall anyone campaigning for them to be changed.
  • Options

The UKIP Welsh AMs are

AndyJS said:

Blame the electorate. Its not as if he was an unknown candidate and he was elected under the rules.
    He was on the list though, Big_G, so his candidature was known. If the electorate didn't want him then they would not have voted for his party. We might not like the rules and we might hate some of the results, but they are the rules and I don't recall anyone campaigning for them to be changed.
    Well, there was the abolish the Welsh Assembly party... ;)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,801
    Chameleon said:

h ttps://twitter.com/uk_expat/status/728704223299440640

Could this affect anything?

But, but...no, no, NOOO! KHAAAANNNN!
  • Options
    Two of my favourite commentators (Stephen Bush and Isabel Hardman) on Newsnight now.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Rod Crosby, Mike Smithson has told you on several occasions, you are not do discuss the holocaust, please adhere to the rules.

Is it just those who have been spontaneously acclaimed as 'most intelligent poster on PB' that this applied to, or to everyone?

I'm confused...
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    New Thread
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Two of my favourite commentators (Stephen Bush and Isabel Hardman) on Newsnight now.

Stephen Bush telling the truth about Labour: heading for a landslide defeat in 2020 with Corbyn as leader. Anything else is fantasy.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,314

The UKIP Welsh AMs are

AndyJS said:

He was on the list fair enough, but as far as I am concerned living in Wales I have no objection to UKIP but every objection to Hamilton and Reckless being parachuted into Wales. There are enough UKIP supporters in Wales to have had local candidates.
  • Options
    Result imminent...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    AndyJS said:

Result imminent...

This discussion has been closed.