Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Congratulations to Neil Hamilton on winning a seat in the Welsh Assembly.

Why ?
    Why not?
    There's no shortage of people elected today so why chose Hamilton.

He's not even got elected directly but through a list seat.
    He's an old timer getting back into the game. Worth a shout out I guess.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

I see Harriet Harman is sticking the knife into Zac G. Some of these Labour women have a real nasty edge. Oh my, Colonel Bucket is on SKY now - just pressed the 'mute' button, I can't stand any more.

Did you notice her 'wince' when Adam Boulton said that labour would be denied a majority by a list conservative and a list UKIP. She really cannot stand the thought of UKIP and cannot hide her revulsion
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Congratulations to Neil Hamilton on winning a seat in the Welsh Assembly.

Why ?
    Why not?
    There's no shortage of people elected today so why chose Hamilton.

He's not even got elected directly but through a list seat.
    A few years ago I don't think anyone would have expected him to be popular enough to win election to a parish council, let alone a national assembly.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Last night the BBC were saying Labour were up by 3 or 4 points compared to last year but now they're projecting Labour on 31% which is the same as last year. Not sure what caused the change.

Projections based on last night's national voteshare for 2020 election

BBC Tories 301, Lab 253, SNP 53, LD 19, UKIP 1
    https://twitter.com/kayaburgess/status/728594117631029250

Sky Tories 280, Lab 265, SNP 56, LD 25, UKIP 1
    https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/728416019245600769
    That implies well over 330 Tories when you get to the General Election.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    How do you get the London assembly results?

On the London elects website there is just a list of winners and 8 random PDFs at the bottom.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    AndyJS said:

Sheffield — popular vote (highest vote method):

Lab: 58,083 (39.1%)
    LD: 31,392 (21.2%)
    UKIP: 22,716 (15.3%)
    Green: 19,921 (13.4%)
    Con: 12,541 (8.4%)
    Others: 3,762 (2.5%)

Labour share was 46.9% in 2015 and 41.1% in 2011.

Tories highest share was 17.7% in Dore and Totley.

So, the Labour vote is down?

Who gains how much here, Andy?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Dixie said:

Re: London. I was completely wrong. Goodbye

Respect for turning up and admitting it...
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

I see Harriet Harman is sticking the knife into Zac G. Some of these Labour women have a real nasty edge. Oh my, Colonel Bucket is on SKY now - just pressed the 'mute' button, I can't stand any more.

Did you notice her 'wince' when Adam Boulton said that labour would be denied a majority by a list conservative and a list UKIP. She really cannot stand the thought of UKIP and cannot hide her revulsion
    And yet... Labour are going to need to find a way of regaining those erstwhile Labour voters who have turned to Ukip.
  • Options
    Monty said:

Perhaps we could have a thread inviting PBers to name a politician, media person or whatever whom they intensely dislike, with or without giving reasons, but obviously omitting any libelous content.
    To start the ball rolling, I'd like to nominate without the least hesitation Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, someone I greatly wish never to see or hear of ever again.

Boris Johnson.
    Untrustworthy.
    Don't believe he has any actual friends.
    Just acquaintances on the path to power.

Monty! My purger, good to see you back on the board.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Perhaps we could have a thread inviting PBers to name a politician, media person or whatever whom they intensely dislike, with or without giving reasons, but obviously omitting any libelous content.
    To start the ball rolling, I'd like to nominate without the least hesitation Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, someone I greatly wish never to see or hear of ever again.

Can there be a celebrity sub-category? Emma Thompson for me.

There was a fantastic letter in The Times recently, along the lines of "I see Emma Thompson has decided X. I am grateful to her because usually after careful thought and analysis, I come to the opposite conclusion to her so it is useful that she has opined early and saved me time in choosing the opposite position."
  • Options
    BBC projection must increase chances of challenge to Corbyn.

Con well ahead despite all problems.

Remember Peter Snow "bit of fun" projections showing governing party reduced to almost nothing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Has anybody commented on the unexpected rise across the board in the turnout for the PCC elections?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

On the London elects website there is just a list of winners and 8 random PDFs at the bottom.

Constituencies: Labour 9 Tories 5.

Top up seats haven't been allocated yet (I think).
  • Options

Has anybody commented on the unexpected rise across the board in the turnout for the PCC elections?

Were they stand-alone elections last time?
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346

Monty said:

Boris Johnson.
    Untrustworthy.

LOL! For all the good it did! Too many happy idiots in my party to prevent Corbyn in any case.
    I only wish I had more time to post here.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

MikeL said:

I know.

How do you get the actual result in each seat?

ie Votes for each candidate.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    edited May 2016
    Dixie said:

Fair enough - don't go, though! I got Broxtowe wrong last year in exactly the same way, had to put up with some teasing but we've all move on. In reality nobody can really tell the overall picture from personal impressions.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Yes, they were in November, 2013. I suspect that's why so many independents won last time out - people who are inclined to vote for an independent are more likely to turn out on a cold night in November. This time there were more casual voters who turned up and voted for the donkey with the blue or red rosette.

Edit: By the looks of things the independents have been beaten by Tories. So perhaps they suffered because November, 2012 was not a particularly good time for the Tories.
  • Options
    Monty said:

Monty said:

Boris Johnson.
    Untrustworthy.

LOL! For all the good it did! Too many happy idiots in my party to prevent Corbyn in any case.
    It done even less good than you hoped.
    The voting form came through and I posted it back as a vote for Liz as my 1st choice.

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    AndyJS said:

Looking forward to a meeting between Khan and Trump.

It will have to be in London as Khan obviously won't be able to come to the White House.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    edited May 2016
    TOPPING said:

Can there be a celebrity sub-category? Emma Thompson for me.

There was a fantastic letter in The Times recently, along the lines of "I see Emma Thompson has decided X. I am grateful to her because usually after careful thought and analysis, I come to the opposite conclusion to her so it is useful that she has opined early and saved me time in choosing the opposite position."
    May I add Charlotte Church for similar reasons? I liked her when she stuck to singing.

• Options

Monty said:

Monty said:

Boris Johnson.
    Untrustworthy.

The voting form came through and I posted it back as a vote for Liz as my 1st choice.

Bless you. I may well vote for Liz if she stood again.
    I thought you said you would vote Corbyn to cause mischief. Was I wrong or did you change your mind?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Kudos to Sadiq Khan. He fought a decent campaign and won well, and now we honour the people's choice of a double-dealing jihadonazi apologist for Islamorape who

Only joking. I don't like Khan's choice of friends and aides. But he won. Maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe a Muslim Mayor will unite rather than divide. I doubt it. But he has his chance.

I have no doubt he will be more careful as to who he is seen with!
  • Options
    RobD said:

In 2012 the elections were held in mid-November. Turnout was unsurprisingly dreadful. But since then, the notion of the PCC has hardly proved a poster boy for democracy. Yesterday we were being told of turnout in low single figures at some polling stations. And yet.....even in Tory shires with very limited elections, the turnout has been in the mid-20's.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited May 2016
    MikeK said:

Good Evening.

With turnout up in London for the Mayoral, it seems that Labour managed to bring out their supporters from the mosques and madrasas to vote.

So congratulations to Sadiq and lets see what he makes of the job.

Take your identity based politics elsewhere . :) not welcome in Britain.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    AndyJS said:
    I feel very sorry for him. It seems he was traduced by a vulgarian Australian and his only failing was weakness. That doesn't excuse Cameron's two interventions at PMQs
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,089
    AndyJS said:

Sheffield — popular vote (highest vote method):

Lab: 58,083 (39.1%)
    LD: 31,392 (21.2%)
    UKIP: 22,716 (15.3%)
    Green: 19,921 (13.4%)
    Con: 12,541 (8.4%)
    Others: 3,762 (2.5%)

Labour share was 46.9% in 2015 and 41.1% in 2011.

Tories highest share was 17.7% in Dore and Totley.

Andrew Teale gives Labour 47.9% in 2011 and 41.1% in 2015.

The Conservative implosion in Dore is quite impressive:

2008 43.6%
    2010 33.4%
    2011 32.0%
    2012 34.0%
    2014 25.9%
    2015 24.8%
    2016 17.7%
  • Options
    They're taking a long time to count these second preferences, especially given that the computerised scanners are supposed to count first and second preferences at the same time.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620

RobD said:

In 2012 the elections were held in mid-November. Turnout was unsurprisingly dreadful. But since then, the notion of the PCC has hardly proved a poster boy for democracy. Yesterday we were being told of turnout in low single figures at some polling stations. And yet.....even in Tory shires with very limited elections, the turnout has been in the mid-20's.
    Durham, with no other elections: 17.4% (+3.0)
  • Options

RobD said:

Durham, with no other elections: 17.4% (+3.0)
    A surge of Scottish Tory proportions ;)
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Congratulations to the Conservatives in Scotland ,hope Scottish Conservatives can now vote for what they believe in rather than the SNP.
    Labour in Scotland will have to make their mind up ,wether they are a Unionist party or an Independence party.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Congratulations to the Conservatives in Scotland ,hope Scottish Conservatives can now vote for what they believe in rather than the SNP.
    Labour in Scotland will have to make their mind up ,wether they are a Unionist party or an Independence party.

Is that in doubt?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2016
    Labour gain Cheshire PCC

West Yorkshire PCC still be declared. If they haven't fell asleep at the counting hall
  • Options
    Monty said:

Monty said:

Monty said:

Boris Johnson.
    Untrustworthy.

I thought you said you would vote Corbyn to cause mischief. Was I wrong or did you change your mind?
    You are correct in your recollection.
    I was going to vote for JC using the awesome AV voting system (©TSE).

However, as it was a potential PM I was voting for.
    Liz got the first vote as she was by far the only sensible candidate standing and I wanted send a message (all 4% of it).
  • Options
    MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Assembly_election,_2016
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    I wonder if it could be that Lynton Crosby had no intention of winning the mayoral race, and that the entire exercise was a huge dog whistle to the wider nation about Muslim extremists.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Dixie said:

Did you win you're seat?
  • Options

Monty said:

Monty said:

Monty said:

Boris Johnson.
    Untrustworthy.

Liz got the first vote as she was by far the only sensible candidate standing and I wanted send a message (all 4% of it).
    Ok, I understand that.
    I still don't think you should have voted in an opponent's election but I blame Labour's election system for that more than you.

I feel we are close to a fracturing and subsequent realignment of politics over the next ten years.
    It'll be interesting to see where we all end up.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    murali_s said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

I know.

That's just a list of candidates!

This seems totally bizarre - is there really nowhere with the actual results?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

I wonder if it could be that Lynton Crosby had no intention of winning the mayoral race, and that the entire exercise was a huge dog whistle to the wider nation about Muslim extremists.

Yes, I wondered if they were playing the long game. There's a lot of gnashing of teeth in London, but it might help to strengthen the view that London is different and that the rest of the country doesn't like what it sees.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

I know.

AndreaParma_82 would know for sure!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Labour gain Cheshire PCC

Ooh, so my vote wasn't wasted after all.
  • Options
    84,601 for Lab to 81,652 votes for Con in the final round
    Danny565 said:

Labour gain Cheshire PCC

Ooh, so my vote wasn't wasted after all.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited May 2016
    dyingswan said:

Poor old Wales. It is just like battered wife syndrome.For a hundred years Labour has said:" I will be better in future. I promise. Trust me." Since 1919 Wales has believed it. There must now be over 30 all-Wales elections-GEs, Assembly and European in a century. In all but one- the Euros in 2009 at the height of the Brown Terror- Labour has finished top of the poll. It is so depressing.The Welsh people have low expectations. They are about to be fulfilled -again. The Labour government will drive down our standards in education,health and anything else that they can get their hands on. Then in 2020 they will say:"Sorry love didn't mean to hurt you. I will be better next time. Honest."

I'm a dyed in the wool Valleyboy. I'm (very) socially liberal, but a teeny bit to the centre right on the economy (big believer that spending lots more than you earn is immoral; therefore I wanted to throttle Gordon Brown).

I've tried arguing for common sense on Facebook among my friends but the responses from the usual hardliners (usually those round here from pit-working families) are vicious. I've been called a Tory C*nt on numerous occasions. Even when I'm lighthearted or throwing the banter out the hardliners here won't tolerate it. It's us or them.

It would take a very brave man or woman to canvass for the Tories in the valleys. I honestly think UKIP would be the better option here. They have less baggage, however unpalatable their views.

Wales elected Neil fecking Hamilton and Mark fecking Reckless yesterday! Even that pair would have more hope in the valleys than a Tory.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Yorkcity said:

They are Scotland's biggest centre-left party, so that's something to start again from.

• Options
    BBC posted them in their live blogging while they were arriving. It's not very practical as you have to jump up and down to search for them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-london-36063996
    murali_s said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

I know.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Kudos to Sadiq Khan. He fought a decent campaign and won well, and now we honour the people's choice of a double-dealing jihadonazi apologist for Islamorape who

Only joking. I don't like Khan's choice of friends and aides. But he won. Maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe a Muslim Mayor will unite rather than divide. I doubt it. But he has his chance.

Still can't believe we've elected a Muslim mayor who thinks moderate Muslims are "uncle Toms". Depressing.

But maybe Khan will prove my skepticism unfounded. I sincerely hope so.

Looking back the Zac Goldsmith campaign want wrong at the precise moment the Tories selected him. The wrong candidate for the wrong city at the wrong time with largely wrong or irrelevant policies.

Must Do Better.
    The Tories need an exceptional candidate to win Labour London. Boris was exceptional, Zac? Not so much....

I hope Khan uses his role as one of our most prominent Muslims for lasting good. Something like making London an FGM-free city would be a worthy aim.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    So it looks like the mayoral race in London is the number one story at the moment unless you are at the Evening Standard.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

dyingswan said:

Poor old Wales. It is just like battered wife syndrome.For a hundred years Labour has said:" I will be better in future. I promise. Trust me." Since 1919 Wales has believed it. There must now be over 30 all-Wales elections-GEs, Assembly and European in a century. In all but one- the Euros in 2009 at the height of the Brown Terror- Labour has finished top of the poll. It is so depressing.The Welsh people have low expectations. They are about to be fulfilled -again. The Labour government will drive down our standards in education,health and anything else that they can get their hands on. Then in 2020 they will say:"Sorry love didn't mean to hurt you. I will be better next time. Honest."

I'm a dyed in the wool Valleyboy. I'm (very) socially liberal, but a teeny bit to the centre right on the economy (big believer that spending lots more than you earn is immoral; therefore I wanted to throttle Gordon Brown).

I've tried arguing for common sense on Facebook among my friends but the responses from the usual hardliners (usually those round here from pit-working families) are vicious. I've been called a Tory C*nt on numerous occasions. Even when I'm lighthearted or throwing the banter out the hardliners here won't tolerate it. It's us or them.

It would take a very brave man or woman to canvass for the Tories in the valleys. I honestly think UKIP would be the better option here. They have less baggage, however unpalatable their views.

Wales elected Neil fecking Hamilton and Mark fecking Reckless yesterday! Even that pair would have more hope in the valleys than a Tory.
    Tories in Wales should vote for Plaid Cymru to knacker Labour.
    Take your lead from Conservatives voting SNP in Scotland.
    Then when Independence is nearly there revert .
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interesting theory. Zac was sacrificed for the greeter good. Nice.
    An Etonian will always put the country first. Is there much evidence that Crosby was personally involved in the campaign.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Surely the Tories do not want to win like that. There's no need for such a strategy and it is not conducive to good, effective government.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Fenster..maybe you should ask those hardliners in the Valleys to stick their head out of the door..look up and own the street..see what is missing..most things..and then ask them what Labour has done for them over the last seven decades....answer..zilch.. They are where Labour want them..impoverished and bitter.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Fenster said:

dyingswan said:

I think putting, Neil Hamilton and Mark Reckless, as their candidates was a big mistake for UKIP. they will associate the UKIP brand with the Tory's, in a way that will put off many Lab voters, without attracting many Con voters.
  • Options
    Changes in Nuneaton compared to 2012:

Lab -14.3%
    Con +1.4%
    UKIP +13.7%
    Greens +4.1%

Tories gained 3 seats from Labour: Arbury, Galley Common, Slough.
  • Options
    What are they waiting in London? It is not Tower Hamlets' fault, right?

It took forever last time too. IIRC in Brent they couldn't find a box anymore....and it was under a table
  • Options

What are they waiting in London? It is not Tower Hamlets' fault, right?

It took forever last time too. IIRC in Brent they couldn't find a box anymore....and it was under a table

The result always has to be announced just before midnight. It's a tradition.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    murali_s said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

MikeL said:

I know.

Thanks.

Actually they are on your Wiki page - if you click on each constituency it then takes you to the result on a separate page.

Thanks again!
  • Options

SeanT said:

Surely the Tories do not want to win like that. There's no need for such a strategy and it is not conducive to good, effective government.

James Kirkup - one of my favourite political commentators - had a good piece in the Telegraph. Apparently some Tories, including ministers, were not happy with the campaign and may speak out. What I find of particular interest though is that some Tories thought that once they were facing Khan rather than Blairite Jowell they would win with a candidate like Goldsmith. Khan was too close to Ed Miliband, nominated Corbyn and wouldn't understand London's aspirational voters, so they believed. The direction of Goldsmith's campaign suggests they might have lost faith in such a narrative.
  • Options
    Mark Burns-Williamson re-elected as West Yorkshire PCC

PPCs finished for today. Only the 4 Welsh PCCs left to be elected but they were counting today
  • Options
    Amir Khan and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will face off in their middleweight championship bout on Saturday in Las Vegas, and Khan hopes that it isn’t his last.

Khan spoke to the media Wednesday, and he mentioned that Donald Trump’s potential election could keep Canelo and himself out of the U.S. The British-born Khan is a Muslim and was referencing Trump’s proposed ban on Muslim travel to the U.S.

Will Sadiq Khan the new London Mayor have to wait if he becomes potus.

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on," a campaign press release said.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Fenster said:

dyingswan said:

I think putting, Neil Hamilton and Mark Reckless, as their candidates was a big mistake for UKIP. they will associate the UKIP brand with the Tory's, in a way that will put off many Lab voters, without attracting many Con voters.
    But they are politically experienced. I hope they will make a demonstrably valuable contribution and benefit UKIP that way.
  • Options

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Still can't believe we've elected a Muslim mayor who thinks moderate Muslims are "uncle Toms". Depressing.

Looking back the Zac Goldsmith campaign want wrong at the precise moment the Tories selected him. The wrong candidate for the wrong city at the wrong time with largely wrong or irrelevant policies.

Must Do Better.
    The Tories need an exceptional candidate to win Labour London. Boris was exceptional, Zac? Not so much....

I hope Khan uses his role as one of our most prominent Muslims for lasting good. Something like making London an FGM-free city would be a worthy aim.
    I liked Zac before this campaign thought he was an independent minded man, as he could not be bought due to his own personal wealth.
    What will he do now , when Cameron does another u turn and approves the new runway at Heathrow ?
  • Options

SeanT said:

James Kirkup - one of my favourite political commentators - had a good piece in the Telegraph. Apparently some Tories, including ministers, were not happy with the campaign and may speak out. What I find of particular interest though is that some Tories thought that once they were facing Khan rather than Blairite Jowell they would win with a candidate like Goldsmith. Khan was too close to Ed Miliband, nominated Corbyn and wouldn't understand London's aspirational voters, so they believed. The direction of Goldsmith's campaign suggests they might have lost faith in such a narrative.

The Tories clearly misjudged Khan from Day One. To be fair, it took me a while to see he is not what I thought he was. Attacking Labour nationally for being obssessed by peripheral issues and not getting aspiration makes complete sense and would be totally fair, but that was not Khan; while it quickly became obvious he is not a radical Moslem. You only had to see him going to vote with his family yesterday to get that immediately.

• Options
    There's far too much hysteria and self-flagellation here in Wales from liberals about Ukip which bizarrely looks a little parochial for people who see themselves as outward looking. Have they SEEN some of the politicians in other countries? If France gets Le Pen, America gets Trump, the Netherlands gets Wilders and we get Neil Hamilton we should consider ourselves lucky.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Must Do Better.

I liked Zac before this campaign thought he was an independent minded man, as he could not be bought due to his own personal wealth.
    What will he do now , when Cameron does another u turn and approves the new runway at Heathrow ?
    You've got it! Perhaps Cameron wanted to destroy Goldsmith because of the Heathrow issue.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

There's far too much hysteria and self-flagellation here in Wales from liberals about Ukip which bizarrely looks a little parochial for people who see themselves as outward looking. Have they SEEN some of the politicians in other countries? If France gets Le Pen, America gets Trump, the Netherlands gets Wilders and we get Neil Hamilton we should consider ourselves lucky.

Fair point.
  • Options
    Monty said:

Monty said:

Monty said:

Monty said:

Boris Johnson.
    Untrustworthy.

Ok, I understand that.
    I still don't think you should have voted in an opponent's election but I blame Labour's election system for that more than you.

I feel we are close to a fracturing and subsequent realignment of politics over the next ten years.
    It'll be interesting to see where we all end up.
    Completely understand where you are coming from.
    I look at it as the same as all the fuss about tax avoidance.
    They (whoever that is) create the system.
    Don't complain when people game the system. Change it.
  • Options
    Mark Reckless got elected as well as Neil Hamilton? I missed that.
  • Options

Fenster..maybe you should ask those hardliners in the Valleys to stick their head out of the door..look up and own the street..see what is missing..most things..and then ask them what Labour has done for them over the last seven decades....answer..zilch.. They are where Labour want them..impoverished and bitter.

I went to a Labour party meeting and it was admitted that the Welsh NHS is a mess. A Lab councillor announced that it didn't matter because most Welsh voters blamed the Tory government for it anyway.

Sums it all up really.
  • Options
    The UKIP Welsh AMs are

Caroline Jones (South West Wales)
    Nathan Gill MEP (North Wales)
    Michelle Brown (North Wales)
    Mark Reckless (South Waled East)
    David Rowlands (South Waled East)
    Neil Hamilton (Mid and West Wales)
    Gareth Bennett (South West Central)
    AndyJS said:

Mark Reckless got elected as well as Neil Hamilton? I missed that.

• Options

SeanT said:

The Tories clearly misjudged Khan from Day One. To be fair, it took me a while to see he is not what I thought he was. Attacking Labour nationally for being obssessed by peripheral issues and not getting aspiration makes complete sense and would be totally fair, but that was not Khan; while it quickly became obvious he is not a radical Moslem. You only had to see him going to vote with his family yesterday to get that immediately.

Southam
    Surely the Khan story from a humble start to London Mayor and his support for gay marriage is a great example for London and the rest of the world.
    It shows Britain at its best a democratic beacon in a troubled world.
    London should be very proud tonight.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Southam
    Surely the Khan story from a humble start to London Mayor and his support for gay marriage is a great example for London and the rest of the world.

Yep, it's great to see. But now he has to deliver.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    I feel very sorry for him. It seems he was traduced by a vulgarian Australian and his only failing was weakness. That doesn't excuse Cameron's two interventions at PMQs
    I was mostly happy with Zac's campaign, you'll be surprised to hear. It's perfectly fair to question Khan's links. He has some very strange and suspicious friends and assistants. And then there's "Uncle Tom"? WTF.

Where the Goldsmith campaign crossed the line was that Mail article with the image of the 7/7 bus. That was downright offensive (and I'm not easily offended): clearly linking Khan with the 7/7 bombs because he's a Muslim with associations. Very ugly and unfair.

But a candidate for mayor doesn't get to choose how the Mail runs an article.

Agreed - the attempt by The 'rogers' et al in the Labour party to scream rrraaaccciiisssmmm every time one of their ethnic candidates is tested is extremely unhealthy and one of several reasons why the 'race ' issue is such a continuing problem. Ironically it is damaging them overall far more than their opponents.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Southam

Yep, it's great to see. But now he has to deliver.

Yes very true.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Agree. We are commendably un-extreme here.

I often see George and Dave depicted as right wing ideologues and then I see the Trump attack videos "I'll get rid of gun free zones in schools" and think... well, we are incredibly civilised in comparison.

Even commie-sympathising, Hamas befriending, tax raising Jezza is unfailingly polite and nice to everyone. And even bicycles to work with a safety helmet on ☺

He's not exactly Kim Jung! !
  • Options
    If I haven't missed anyone, 9 Welsh Assembly members are in Cardiff Bay without interruption since the first Assembly in 1999

Elin Jones (Plaid)
    Dafydd Elis-Thomas (Plaid)
    Kirsty Williams (LD)
    Carwyn Jones (Lab)
    Ann Jones (Lab)
    Jane Hutt (Lab)
    John Griffiths (Lab)
    Lynne Neagle (Lab)
    David Melding (Con)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Roger said:

Apparently the police are now investigating Ch 4's story about overspending. I can't be the only person who thinks this is a ridiculous waste of police time. They're talking about re running the election in several seats. The only good news is that Anna Soubry is one of them so Nick might get his seat back

Labour, Lib Dems, PC, SNP seem rather unwilling to say much on this. Reminds me of phone hacking tabloids, all at it but only one seemed to incur the flak.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Who is this Jo Cox ? Which seat does she represent.

Clearly she was sent out as an outrider by her masters and then they slipped away when the results were not so bad.

Sad, there are Labour Party people who wants Labour to do badly.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    This is one of the many reasons why I find Khan utterly repulsive:

"Sadiq Khan: There are too many white men on Transport for London"

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/03/30/sadiq-khan-there-are-too-many-white-men-on-transport-for-lon

Khan seems obsessed about the colour of peoples' skin. Whatever happened to hiring the best candidates for the job.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

There's still space for Labour: as THE centre left unionist party in Scotland. They will never return to their previous Scottish hegemony, but there will always be room for a "progressive" party that also believes in the UK. They could get 10 or even 15 Scottish MPs on a very good day.

They need to let the dream of Indy die out, for now, and slowly watch the SNP bubble deflate. Then they can step In.

We could be at the high point of SNP , especially if conservatives have new confidence .
    However I am not sure independence will die out without another referndum.
    The SNP will not go for one unless the polls show a certain victory..
    In the meantime they will keep their support hanging on.
    It will be a very slow puncture, with no high speed blow out.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

It's a good point but still they vote for the donkey in the red rosette up there. Wales has to get away from the branch office/begging bowl/public sector heavy economy. Oddly even Ms Wood has shown recent signs I think that independence will remain an "aspiration" until the economy improves. Of course zilch that Plaid espouses will solve that so they're a bit stuffed strategically really.

Oddly Wales' permafrost politics with three or four parties orbiting the Labour monolith permanently in govt is probably what Labour intended for Scotland, (Wales being a mere after thought). That of course has not gone to plan and seems to be getting ever worse.
  • Options
    felix said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    I was mostly happy with Zac's campaign, you'll be surprised to hear. It's perfectly fair to question Khan's links. He has some very strange and suspicious friends and assistants. And then there's "Uncle Tom"? WTF.

Where the Goldsmith campaign crossed the line was that Mail article with the image of the 7/7 bus. That was downright offensive (and I'm not easily offended): clearly linking Khan with the 7/7 bombs because he's a Muslim with associations. Very ugly and unfair.

Agreed - the attempt by The 'rogers' et al in the Labour party to scream rrraaaccciiisssmmm every time one of their ethnic candidates is tested is extremely unhealthy and one of several reasons why the 'race ' issue is such a continuing problem. Ironically it is damaging them overall far more than their opponents.
    Zac probably gave Sadiq an additional 2%. Ironically, I would not have put Zac in the racist camp myself. Even his sister didn't seem very pleased today - after the event.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Clearly she was sent out as an outrider by her masters and then they slipped away when the results were not so bad.

MP up my end Batley , used to be quite marginal I think.
    I think I read she put Corbyn on the ballot for a greater discussion.
  • Options
    Friday after an election: a good day to bury bad news ?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

surbiton said:

Why is she on the TV screens ? Where are the cowardly Blairite puppet-masters.
  • Options

Yes a repeat of the 80s loony left council routine.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Friday after an election: a good day to bury bad news ?

Of course! Haven't we already had one or two U turn... I mean sensible policy decisions today? :D
  • Options
    Seat trending Labour demographically. Hence being a 12% Labour majority in 2015 while being Tory in 1992.

First term MP. Typical Labour CV: Labour Women Network Chair, worked for Oxfam, Baroness Kinnock and Sarah Brown.

In the 1997-2015 period her seat was represented by a left wing MP (campaign manager for McDonnell in his failed attempt to get nominated for a leadership contest). He didn't back her for the nomination (he was actively supporting a Leeds Cllr....possibly just because pissed off that his male researcher couldn't run as it was declared an AWS and he thought NEC did so to favour Cox ). Cox was heavily backed by Reeves IIRC.
    Yorkcity said:

surbiton said:

• Options
    surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

surbiton said:

Why is she on the TV screens ? Where are the cowardly Blairite puppet-masters.
    Chris Leslie was on BBC news channel most of the afternoon very upset.
    Does he count as a Blairite ?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2016
    Trump in Omaha, Nebraska...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5lQNygPQ

Obviously has a "women problem"...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2016
    It's interesting how party leaders ruin colleagues reputations and careers without a backward glance. Usually to enhance their own. Blair was notable for doing it. Remember that minister Alun Michael prospective first Minister in Wales? He ended up losing because no one wanted a Blair apointee and was sacked for his trouble.

Then there was the hapless frank Dobson for mayor of London. Ken saw him off and Frank was history.

And what about Ed's Scottish first Minister designate. Jim Murphy? Didn't win and lost everything including his Westminster seat. Thatcher had several and now Cameron's just screwed Zak. It's very Machiavellian but I suppose that's what makes leaders leaders
  • Options
    surbiton said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:

Zac probably gave Sadiq an additional 2%. Ironically, I would not have put Zac in the racist camp myself. Even his sister didn't seem very pleased today - after the event.
    Nor me Zac could not do the attack dog, his heart was not in it.
    Cameron does a better job at PMQ`S
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mark Burns-Williamson re-elected as West Yorkshire PCC

PPCs finished for today. Only the 4 Welsh PCCs left to be elected but they were counting today

I was interested to see in Leics that Labour took the PCC from Con on a 19% turnout with no other elections. UKIP were in 4th and about 20% of voters included no second preference.

What to take from this?

1) low turnout doesn't help UKIP much, if at all.

2) Labour voters turn out even for fairly obscure elections

I am not convinced that low turnout will help Leave much.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Trump in Omaha, Nebraska...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5lQNygPQ

Obviously has a "women problem"...

Virgin Airlines stewardesses.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    MP_SE said:

This is one of the many reasons why I find Khan utterly repulsive:

"Sadiq Khan: There are too many white men on Transport for London"

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/03/30/sadiq-khan-there-are-too-many-white-men-on-transport-for-lon

Khan seems obsessed about the colour of peoples' skin. Whatever happened to hiring the best candidates for the job.

I can see the white flight we have been experiencing here in the SW accelerating further in the years to come.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Yebbut, factor in swingback, and Labour will go backwards on 2015...

The UKIP and SNP votes make a hung parliament likely in 2020, especially after EU ref
    We were told that in 2015 also.

Middle England will stick pins in their eyes before entertaining a Corbyn government propped up by the SNP.

If the 2016 NEV is anything like what I've been hearing, it's an atrocious result for Labour...
    The difference in 2020 to 2015 will be EU ref, if, as is likely, it is a narrow Remain at least 3-5% having voted Leave will switch from Tory to UKIP in protest, they will not vote for Corbyn but that would be enough to ensure a hung parliament
  • Options

SeanT said:

This is the same Government we're talking about?
This discussion has been closed.