Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. K, but is it powerful? That's what we want to know.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,997
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

notme said:

Danny565 said:

PREDICTIONS

Sadiq Khan to win the Mayoralty 53-47%.

SNP to LOSE one or two seats in the Scottish Parliament, but still just scrape over the majority line. Tories to come second, about 5 seats ahead of Labour.

Labour to lose 4-5 seats in the Welsh Assembly, with Plaid Cymru second, and the Tories only just scraping 3rd ahead of UKIP.

Labour to lose about 100 seats in the English local elections, but for this to be completely misinterpreted by the political-illiterates who don't understand mis-alinged electoral cycles. On the real measure that counts, the estimated national vote share, Labour to finish "only" 1-2% behind the Tories, roughly on a par with their performance at this stage in the last parliament.

I think the difference is going to be a touch more than that. My understanding of secret hush hush information that cant be discussed, it is going to be very tricky in the shires for Labour, very tricky indeed.
    Labour are defending very small majorities in a lot of council seats they won in 2012 which was by far Ed Miliband's most successful election. So even if they do quite well tonight, relatively speaking, they're still going to lose a lot of seats and councils. That's why Corbyn's comment about not losing seats was so ridiculous.
    Crawley looks a good candidate to fall.
    Southampton and Reading are two others.
    Reading is a great example of why the elect by thirds system is so stupid. While I was living there we had the following in about 5/6 years

Lab majority
    Lab minority
    Con/LD coalition
    Lab/Green coalition
    Lab majority
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    MikeK said:

I've come home with an electric kettle, it's a Bosch design made in China, thus does the EU bow to Beijing.

I have a phone which is an Apple design made in China. Thus does the US bow to China?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2016
    Jason said:

Don't candidates have to secure the nomination of 35 MPs to get on the ballot? Are 35 Labour MPs really going to nominate John McDonnell?

I would think that there's a very good chance that they would. After all, he's moderately competent if you like that kind of thing, and quite a few of them do like that kind of thing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    edited May 2016
    Unite have published a dossier on Tory racism, some of it is real barrel scraping

In January 2011, Baroness Warsi gave a speech about rising Islamophobia. Tory Lord Tebbit wrote a blog dismissing her case and saying “a period of silence from the Baroness might not come amiss.

http://goo.gl/FDpfkx
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Steve Hawkes
    One Labour MP dismisses talk of a coup against Corbyn but adds: "The person who's been conducting a leadership campaign is John McDonnell."

Thats the problem for the blairites, If Corbyn falls then McDonnell will get the vote, and he's actually better than Corbyn is.
    Better at what exactly?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

I didn't think this would count, but judging by others they think it does, so I've cast my first ever vote for a Tory today, for PCC second preference. I voted LD 1st preference as I feel sorry for the party.

But I did leave a note that I was only voting as I regard it a duty, and don't think we should have PCCs.

A note on your ballot paper?!? Will your vote still be valid?
    It will be valid as long as it doesn't identify the voter.
    And clearly indicates a preference. I feel really sorry for the handfull of No voters in 2014 who wrote No in the box. The double negative was deemed too confusing and sobthe votes were rejected whislt the handful of yes voters who wrote yes had their votes counted.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, a related Apple/China story:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36200481
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

MaxPB said:

Just back from voting. Have broken the habit of a lifetime and cast my first vote for Labour.

Why???????????????????????
    See my 1.53 post and nested comments.
    I voted Labour in 2003, in a local council election.

The Tory candidate was a bell end, think Brian Coleman without the charm and personality, even his own family didn't vote for him.

Plus it seemed the best way to get rid of IDS.
    A Tory party member voting in the best calculated way to end the tenure of his democratically elected party leader?

Disgraceful.
    It was in the best interests of the party and the country. Is what happens when the Tory Party focuses solely on the EU, we get walloped in general elections, and then Eurosceptics foam when Blair gives our rebate away for buttons.
    Who in the party could have beaten Tony in 2005? Cameron was barely wet behind the ears in 2003 when IDS was deposed. Ken Clark would have done the same as Tony and probably campaigned to join the Euro as well. No, we had to lose 2005 in order to concentrate minds and focus on winning.

Part of me wants a Remain vote just to get all of the bad blood out of the party, a Leave vote probably won't do that now that the leadership has backed Remain. Still going to be campaigning for Leave and hope we Leave though.
    Nobody, but Ken Clarke might well have taken us to 230 seats, an excellent platform for 2010.

Had IDS been in charge in 2005, the Tories would have made net losses. He was that bad.
    How do you know? He wasn't leader in 2005.
    TSE (the TPD) doesn't know. He is just informed by his own bigotries. Clarke as a leader in 2005 would have seen the Tories far more fractured than they were and lucky to even remain as a coherent party to reach 2010.
    Although as Cameron has proven, all he needed to do was keep his mouth relatively shut about Europe and the splits could have been papered over.
  • Options
    taffys said:

MaxPB said:

Just back from voting. Have broken the habit of a lifetime and cast my first vote for Labour.

The Tory candidate was a bell end, think Brian Coleman without the charm and personality, even his own family didn't vote for him.

A Tory party member voting in the best calculated way to end the tenure of his democratically elected party leader?

Disgraceful.
    It was in the best interests of the party and the country. Is what happens when the Tory Party focuses solely on the EU, we get walloped in general elections, and then Eurosceptics foam when Blair gives our rebate away for buttons.
    Who in the party could have beaten Tony in 2005? ,,,,,,,
    Nobody, but Ken Clarke might well have taken us to 230 seats, an excellent platform for 2010.

Had IDS been in charge in 2005, the Tories would have made net losses. He was that bad.
    Was IDS really that bad though? The Tories had done surprisingly well at the ballot box because voters didn't know or didn't care that he got pasted at PMQs each Wednesday.
    Yes he was that bad. In the white heat of a general election campaign, those who voters didn't know he was crap, would have found out.

The Tory Party got lucky in that era, had the Lib Dems been led by someone who wasn't a drunk, nor obsessed with decapitations, the Lib Dems could have used the 2001-2005 Parliament much better to damage the Tories.
    IDS was cr8p because he swallowed Blair's bullsh8t on Iraq in 2003.
    Had he swung the tories behind staying out of the war, Blair would have been defeated and may have had to resign.
    And the labour project might have ended much sooner than it did.
    IDS struck me as a decent chap who trusted people at the top of the public service that they were telling the truth. Just as Major trusted the Treasury over the ERM and those at the Foreign Office.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Unite have published a dossier on Tory racism, some of it is real barrel scraping

In January 2011, Baroness Warsi gave a speech about rising Islamophobia. Tory Lord Tebbit wrote a blog dismissing her case and saying “a period of silence from the Baroness might not come amiss.

Baroness Warsi is a conservative?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    taffys said:

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.
    Who in the party could have beaten Tony in 2005? Cameron was barely wet behind the ears in 2003 when IDS was deposed. Ken Clark would have done the same as Tony and probably campaigned to join the Euro as well. No, we had to lose 2005 in order to concentrate minds and focus on winning.

Part of me wants a Remain vote just to get all of the bad blood out of the party, a Leave vote probably won't do that now that the leadership has backed Remain. Still going to be campaigning for Leave and hope we Leave though.

Was IDS really that bad though? The Tories had done surprisingly well at the ballot box because voters didn't know or didn't care that he got pasted at PMQs each Wednesday.
    Yes he was that bad. In the white heat of a general election campaign, those who voters didn't know he was crap, would have found out.

The Tory Party got lucky in that era, had the Lib Dems been led by someone who wasn't a drunk, nor obsessed with decapitations, the Lib Dems could have used the 2001-2005 Parliament much better to damage the Tories.

Had he swung the tories behind staying out of the war, Blair would have been defeated and may have had to resign.

And Clarke was againstthe Iraq war.
  • Options

Yes the delay and minor changes to how unions can levy political charges on their members sees the money raised used against the Conservatives....
  • Options

taffys said:

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

IDS struck me as a decent chap who trusted people at the top of the public service that they were telling the truth. Just as Major trusted the Treasury over the ERM and those at the Foreign Office.
    Far too decent for politics. He had the chance to completely f8ck Blair. He funked it. I reckon he's bitterly regretted it ever since.
  • Options

Thats the problem for the blairites, If Corbyn falls then McDonnell will get the vote, and he's actually better than Corbyn is.

Yes, he's a shrewd operator with an enviable knack of connecting with real people, as his hilarious and highly successful Red Book gag illustrated. And I'm sure none of his opponents would bring up any of his past IRA remarks.

McDonnell is Corbyn minus any shred of likability. At least with Corbyn a common line among swing voters is "not a potential PM but decent and consistent". McDonnell only entered Parliament in 1997 and hasn't really done the hard yards of Jez in the wilderness to get the positives... and throw in the stuff about honouring the IRA for bombing the UK to the negotiating table (which the Tories and other opponents surely will - a lot) and it's not a strong CV. Lisa Nandy would be more of a worry (although as mentioned, there's no guarantee any of these would get on the ballot paper).
  • Options
    taffys said:

taffys said:

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

Far too decent for politics. He had the chance to completely f8ck Blair. He funked it. I reckon he's bitterly regretted it ever since.
    He's proving a better opposition to a Prime Minister this time though.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,997

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

notme said:

Danny565 said:

PREDICTIONS

Sadiq Khan to win the Mayoralty 53-47%.

SNP to LOSE one or two seats in the Scottish Parliament, but still just scrape over the majority line. Tories to come second, about 5 seats ahead of Labour.

Labour to lose 4-5 seats in the Welsh Assembly, with Plaid Cymru second, and the Tories only just scraping 3rd ahead of UKIP.

Labour to lose about 100 seats in the English local elections, but for this to be completely misinterpreted by the political-illiterates who don't understand mis-alinged electoral cycles. On the real measure that counts, the estimated national vote share, Labour to finish "only" 1-2% behind the Tories, roughly on a par with their performance at this stage in the last parliament.

I think the difference is going to be a touch more than that. My understanding of secret hush hush information that cant be discussed, it is going to be very tricky in the shires for Labour, very tricky indeed.
    Labour are defending very small majorities in a lot of council seats they won in 2012 which was by far Ed Miliband's most successful election. So even if they do quite well tonight, relatively speaking, they're still going to lose a lot of seats and councils. That's why Corbyn's comment about not losing seats was so ridiculous.
    Crawley looks a good candidate to fall.
    Southampton and Reading are two others.
    Reading is a great example of why the elect by thirds system is so stupid. While I was living there we had the following in about 5/6 years

Lab majority
    Lab minority
    Con/LD coalition
    Lab/Green coalition
    Lab majority
    Also to add that Lab have a majority of 8 on Reading, which should be pretty safe. The Tories at least have to win Caversham ward if nothing else!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

In which type of election?
    PCC 2nd preference.
    surely there was an independent. We got an independent. I hope he gets a few 2nd picks.
    No - Con / Lab / UKIP / Eng Dem / LD.

LD and ED have no chance of making the second round so if the Conservatives don't (which frankly would be a dreadful result), then I was effectively faced with a choice of Lab or UKIP. The Labour candidate has done the job for four years and not done it terribly well but in a head-to-head between him and the UKIP candidate I had to go with the least-worst option. It shouldn't get counted anyway.
    Is this the PCC for west Yorkshire vote ?

Do you know the ukip candidate ? The labour one has done a terrible job for Bradford,where crime has gone up and you have just given him a second chance - thanks.
    Crime going up in Bradford is probably more to do with the criminal element in Bradford.

I have looked at the two options and am even more unconvinced by Corkindale. I very much doubt that my second preference vote will be counted anyway. The independent beat the Conservative in 2012 but we don't have an independent this time, the turnout will be higher and Allan Doherty is a much stronger candidate than Geraldine Carter was, so I'd fully expect it to be a Con/Lab fight.
    On the crime going up in Bradford is probably more to do with the criminal element,sorry Mr herdson for you pointing out the bloody obvious but wasn't PCC's brought in to cut crime if not you could get rid of them ?
    I have voted to get rid. But my second vote has gone to the least worst option of the two I think would make it to the second round if the Tory doesn't.
    I gave my second vote to a Lib Dem. Didn't think I'd be going there again.
    I might have done that had it been AV justto send a message but no point here if you want the vote to count.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MikeK said:

I've come home with an electric kettle, it's a Bosch design made in China, thus does the EU bow to Beijing.

You know if we vote for brexit, one will never be able to buy such things ever again....
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163

Layne said:

Disgraceful.
    How is that any different to Cameron giving away our leverage over the next EU treaty for buttons? There is barely a fig paper between Cameron and Blair. Both are spin-heavy, Europhilic, elitist wasters of public money with little appreciation for fair democracy.
    Sorry but suffer from overhyping nonsense when it comes to the EU.

Yesterday you were telling us the Euro had caused more destruction to European lives than the Yugoslav civil war.
    You are attempting to change the subject because you can not defend Cameron's pathetic surrender of leverage on the next treaty. He gave up our power over stopping Eurozone negotiation for next to nothing.

For the record, an average $10,000 drop in GDP for each of 11m Greeks and $6,000 for each of 45m Spaniards is more economic carnage than the Balkan wars and then you have plenty of other countries too. The cuts in health spending alone in Greece alone has pushed up the death rate to an additional 10,000 a year.
  • Options

Good of unite to use their members money in this way...
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    Will the referendum blitz from the Govt be able to resume on Monday? It will depend on how badly Labour does in today's elections. Ironic that a very bad set of results for Labour could dull the amount of media time that the Govt can get for REMAIN next week?
  • Options

......................Lisa Nandy would be more of a worry (although as mentioned, there's no guarantee any of these would get on the ballot paper).
    Is Lisa Nandy really Julie Burchill? Have they been seen in the same place together? We should be told!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AndyJS said:

Let's hope the London election isn't close because if it is there could be a legal challenge based on events in Barnet.

Nah - Zac will win by miles.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

I have a phone which is an Apple design made in China. Thus does the US bow to China?
    No 'arf !!!! ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    In addition to the "Marvick" of London going, I presume the red trousered one is getting the boot today from his disastrous spell.in charge of Bristol?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Two interesting conversations today, the first with a tory member and activist, he and others have refused to distribute the local MP's newsletter as it is pro Remain.

I also spoke with an MEP who says the Leave side is increasingly confident, especially a well known MEP closely connected with Vote Leave, they feel that Obama was Remain's banker and that having backfired has thrown them completely off track, they are panicking. Le Pen was due to come over but told not to for fear of losing votes. The thinking now is to not make mistakes or gaffes and that the momentum is definitely with Leave.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    Afternoon all,

Are we making predictions for tonight on local council seats? I'm thinking Labour will do appallingly - a loss of around 300 seats.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,125
    taffys said:

2002 credulous Tories believe Blair re. Iraq.
    2016 credulous Tories believe Iraq had nothing to do with IDS.

I'm sensing a theme..

'Due to the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on 11 September 2001, the announcement of Duncan Smith's victory in the leadership contest was delayed until 13 September 2001. In November 2001, he was one of the first politicians to call for an invasion of Iraq and held talks in Washington, DC, with senior US officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice and Paul Wolfowitz.'

http://tinyurl.com/htthlrh
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

What is 'Islamophobia'? The literal translation means an 'irrational fear of Islam'. How can anyone have an irrational fear of Islam? Is anyone suggesting Christopher Hitchens was irrational? Or Richard Dawkins? Better to scream 'Islamophobe' to kill off legitimate and necessary scrutiny than to confront the cruel realities of Islamic dogma.
  • Options

Mr. K, but is it powerful? That's what we want to know.

Not 'arf !!! It's a super duper power house that not only boils but can simmer for 30 minutes by the pressing of a new super side button. Who said that the Germans have lost the touch?
  • Options
    Mr. K, super.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Afternoon all,

Are we making predictions for tonight on local council seats? I'm thinking Labour will do appallingly - a loss of around 300 seats.

Not as badly as that is my guess. I think they'll lose 150ish.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2016

Afternoon all,

Shame there was no PB comp this time round. My prediction is a modest 175 Labour losses.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Much of it is reporting accusations of racism against the Conservative Party, rather than racist behaviour by Conservatives.
  • Options

taffys said:

2002 credulous Tories believe Blair re. Iraq.
    2016 credulous Tories believe Iraq had nothing to do with IDS.

I'm sensing a theme..

'Due to the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on 11 September 2001, the announcement of Duncan Smith's victory in the leadership contest was delayed until 13 September 2001. In November 2001, he was one of the first politicians to call for an invasion of Iraq and held talks in Washington, DC, with senior US officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice and Paul Wolfowitz.'

http://tinyurl.com/htthlrh
    Of course Iraq was to do with IDS - I never claimed it wasn't.

If IDS has been a ruthless sonofabitch he would have seen that Blair's jugular was exposed, and thought f8ck what I was calling for in 2001 - this puppy's going down.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Dr. Prasannan, we must hope there isn't any more Burning Bridges.

Edited extra bit: isn't, not aren't, because it's a singular reference.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,323

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

My political antennae told me, the Tory Party agreed, that's why they ditched him
    But they still lost in 2005....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Steve Hawkes
    One Labour MP dismisses talk of a coup against Corbyn but adds: "The person who's been conducting a leadership campaign is John McDonnell."

Apart from the first couple of months, McDonnell has been quietly impressive. His TV manners are very good.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    edited May 2016
    Sean_F said:

Much of it is reporting accusations of racism against the Conservative Party, rather than racist behaviour by Conservatives.
    Anyone can accuse, it's easy. They should have just stuck to what Boris Johnson, Oliver Letwin, etc. actually said.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Afternoon all,

Shame there was no PB comp this time round. My prediction is a modest 175 Labour losses.
    I'm hoping for 201.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Afternoon all,

My guess would be about 200 Labour losses, and about 50-75 gains apiece for Conservatives, Lib Dems and UKIP.

Labour to lose overall control of the Welsh Assembly, and UKIP to win 6-8 seats.

Labour to win the London Mayoralty, quite comfortably, and for Lib Dems, Greens, and UKIP to win two seats each.

SNP to win comfortably, and Labour to just hang on to second place.

In Northern Ireland, modest gains for Alliance, UUP and TUV, and UKIP to win at least one seat. Modest losses for DUP, SF, and SDLP. Overall, Unionists to be up 1-2 seats on 2011, and Nationalists to be down 1-2.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

My guess would be about 200 Labour losses, and about 50-75 gains apiece for Conservatives, Lib Dems and UKIP.

Labour to lose overall control of the Welsh Assembly, and UKIP to win 6-8 seats.

Labour to win the London Mayoralty, quite comfortably, and for Lib Dems, Greens, and UKIP to win two seats each.

Are all councils counting tomorrow? And MoL is Friday PM result? What's happening overnight?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

Are all councils counting tomorrow? And MoL is Friday PM result? What's happening overnight?
    Most, but not all, councils will count overnight.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Yes, he's a shrewd operator with an enviable knack of connecting with real people, as his hilarious and highly successful Red Book gag illustrated. And I'm sure none of his opponents would bring up any of his past IRA remarks.

McDonnell is Corbyn minus any shred of likability. At least with Corbyn a common line among swing voters is "not a potential PM but decent and consistent". McDonnell only entered Parliament in 1997 and hasn't really done the hard yards of Jez in the wilderness to get the positives... and throw in the stuff about honouring the IRA for bombing the UK to the negotiating table (which the Tories and other opponents surely will - a lot) and it's not a strong CV. Lisa Nandy would be more of a worry (although as mentioned, there's no guarantee any of these would get on the ballot paper).
    I pretty much think it will be the usual suspects - Burnham, Cooper, Kendall, possibly Nandy (Ed Miliband with a wig), maybe Jarvis (though he doesn't deserve the plaudits he gets), maybe Benn...who knows? Wes Streeting, a moderate, young, photogenic fella, who would surely appeal to Middle England? As mad as the PLP is, would they really commit suicide yet again by electing a hard left radical like McDonnell? Or God forbid, someone even worse, like Dianne Abbott? The PLP is either in the business of winning elections, or it is in the business of appeasing its membership. They cannot have both.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited May 2016
    I've just received an email with well over 100 CC's included. I gather it's advertising cheap books, but my instinct is to delete the whole thing.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

No 'arf !!!! ;)
    The thing is Robert, I went to John Lewis in Stratford to buy the kettle. I also bought a British designed Jigsaw Puzzle; made in China, a kitchen Food Timer; made in China and a Stylus for my iPhone also made in China.

And I was sad for the days of my childhood when over 90% of manufactured things bought in Britain were Made in England. (That was the Label)
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    This whole racism thing is pathetic, Islamophobia, Uncle Tom, anti-Semitism, accusations right, left and centre, people need to grow up.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

:smiley:
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    I have just spoken to a friend in Barnet who was waiting for an hour at their polling station and still couldn't vote. It sounds an absolute shambles. I don't see how this Mayoral result can be allowed to stand. If we value democracy there must be a rerun city wide, or we are disenfranchising people.
  • Options
    King Cole, delete it. And then buy *my* books :)

[On a serious note, I do tend to delete anything that looks a bit iffy].
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I've just received an email with well over 100 CC's included. I gather it's advertising cheap books, but my instinct is to delete the whole thing.

100% delete...mass cc'ing is not how any proper business worth its salt does it these days given the likes of mail chimp.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Just saw a photo on Facebook of Jeremy Corbyn campaigning in Ogmore. Maybe that'll be the tactic tomorrow. Focus on London and the by elections.
  • Options

Just saw a photo on Facebook of Jeremy Corbyn campaigning in Ogmore. Maybe that'll be the tactic tomorrow. Focus on London and the by elections.

By the sounds of it corbyns man might win in Bristol mayoral race, so he bang on about that as well.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

MikeK said:

You know if we vote for brexit, one will never be able to buy such things ever again....
    Well at least we won't have to buy an electric kettle that takes 3 hours to boil a cup of tea.

(No reason why we couldn't buy produce made in China. Some stuff we buy will be cheaper - e,g. a Japanese made car (i.e. a car made in Japan) has a 10% import duty on it due to EU tariffs. That could save you £1000 immediately.)
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

MikeK said:

Well at least we won't have to buy an electric kettle that takes 3 hours to boil a cup of tea.

(No reason why we couldn't buy produce made in China. Some stuff we buy will be cheaper - e,g. a Japanese made car (i.e. a car made in Japan) has a 10% import duty on it due to EU tariffs. That could save you £1000 immediately.)
    The latest bullshit I have seen on social media is.our food bill is £350 a year cheaper because of the eu.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    weejonnie said:

MikeK said:

There are many more examples; EU prices for manufactured goods are often significantly above those in the US.
  • Options

King Cole, delete it. And then buy *my* books :)

[On a serious note, I do tend to delete anything that looks a bit iffy].

Agree .... and yes I've got one of your books on the Kindle for my next trip somewhere.
  • Options
    King Cole, sensible fellow (twice over).
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    surbiton said:

Steve Hawkes

Apart from the first couple of months, McDonnell has been quietly impressive. His TV manners are very good.
    My very first post on pb was about John McDonnell and whether he had any hope of defeating Gordon Brown in a Labour leadership election. I'd been impressed by his TV performances but as it turned out he didn't get enough nominations to see off Meacher.
  • Options

100% delete...mass cc'ing is not how any proper business worth its salt does it these days given the likes of mail chimp.
    Agree Mr U. Sad thing was it looked incompetent rather than evil. Lost the will to worry scrolling down to get beyond the CC"s.
  • Options

King Cole, sensible fellow (twice over).

Blimey that's a first on this site!
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    O/T but your licence fee appears to be paying for BBC staffers to copy and paste wrong information from wikipedia.

they have an entry on the "election 2016 live blog" thing that says the departing MP for Ogmore had a majority of 35,250. Smelt a bit fishy...

Wiki says this was the TURNOUT. well done beeb
  • Options
    Mr. C, reminds me of when a certain composer died. Silly sausages fiddled with his Wikipedia entry to assert he'd written some S Club 7 songs, which the BBC then dutifully reported.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/05/labour-voters-dont-have-a-problem-with-jewish-people-but-london/
    Labour voters don't have a problem with Jewish people. But London voters seem to
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Aides to both Presidents Bush indicate neither will endorse Trump :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36214738
  • Options
    Ben Riley Smith
    Remarkable Barnet stat -- 1 in 5 Jews in England/Wales live in borough. https://t.co/7RxPLzO4IM
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

3/4 councils are not counting until Saturday , Winchester is one .
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/05/labour-voters-dont-have-a-problem-with-jewish-people-but-london/

Labour voters don't have a problem with Jewish people. But London voters seem to
    'Quite why this is the case, we can’t know for certain...'

Really?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

Three quarters or three or four? If it's the former that's a disgrace.
  • Options
    Layne said:

I wasn't sure until I went into the polling booth but ultimately I voted for UKIP for the Assembly and Goldsmith for mayor. Despite my issues with the Tory leadership and his own personal infidelities, Goldsmith is clearly a patriot with an independent mind. Those are in short supply in politics these days.

Technically speaking, you can't say who you voted for until 10.00pm - the Guardian website is very clear on this.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

and throw in the stuff about honouring the IRA for bombing the UK to the negotiating table (which the Tories and other opponents surely will - a lot)

It will be like that Blackadder sketch about not mentioning Macbeth.

MacDonnell: Never speak that name. Always say "The Republican Movement"!
    Tory: So you want me to say the "The Republican Movement"?
    MacDonnell: Yes!
    Tory: And not "IRA" ?

etc ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

Three quarters or three or four? If it's the former that's a disgrace.

https://twitter.com/RobbieGibb/status/728119329753997312
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    JackW said:

He would be annoyed if they did! Anti-establishment "mad as hell" candidate endorsed by the Bush's doesn't really work does it ?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

weejonnie said:

MikeK said:

There are many more examples; EU prices for manufactured goods are often significantly above those in the US.
    The EU is solely to protect French Farmers and German Manufacturing.
  • Options
    Love this :smiley:

What Americans ask about Europe, according to https://t.co/xNguNEZ3vU.More... https://t.co/v1HxWDnVj7 #maps https://t.co/HTJ5RUD5tM
  • Options

weejonnie said:

MikeK said:

The latest bullshit I have seen on social media is.our food bill is £350 a year cheaper because of the eu.
    Strawberries have a 14.4% tariff - lots come from Egypt I think. And olive oil is €1.245 / Kg
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Worth a look

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/05/05/a-party-for-kooks/

Look at the momentum person mentioned.

More trouble if he has a role in the wider Labour party

• Options
    My son is going to the Durham PCC count tomorrow to count the Liberal Vote (Singular). Pleased he's interested in politics and that he can make his mistakes at an early age.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Worth a look

All those claiming this stuff is just staines & right wing media forget that this website has been banging on about this stuff for ages & is of the left.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    weejonnie said:

My son is going to the Durham PCC count tomorrow to count the Liberal Vote (Singular). Pleased he's interested in politics and that he can make his mistakes at an early age.

shouldn't take him too long.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Floater said:

Worth a look

Stuart Littlewood worked on jet fighters in the RAF then pursued a career in industrial marketing.
    More recently he worked as a freelance and with innovation consultancies. Psychology degree Exeter University, Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing. Served as a Cambridgeshire county councillor 1993-7 and on the Police Authority. Associate of the Royal Photographic Society. Since retiring has been a newspaper columnist and produced two photo-documentary books. He is a regular contributor to a number of internet news magazines.
    Stuart’s book Radio Free Palestine, with Foreword by Jeff Halper, tells the plight of the Palestinians under brutal occupation. It can now be read on the internet by visiting RadioFreePalestine.org.uk.
    http://www.intifada-palestine.com/author/stuart-littlewood/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ShippersUnbound: This may be the most devastating political ad I've ever seen quoting the candidate himself https://t.co/JlYA2Q7dPF

@ShippersUnbound: This may be the most devastating political ad I've ever seen quoting people from the same party https://t.co/g0Fd0gH3dK
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

He would be annoyed if they did! Anti-establishment "mad as hell" candidate endorsed by the Bush's doesn't really work does it ?
    This is the same argument as Corbynites make about Blair etc. It's true you don't want to be defined by predecessors who are flawed and have poor ratings today. But don't forget Blair won two landslides and a solid win, while Dubya won more votes than any Presidential candidate before or since in 2004. A lot of those people are quieter about it, and a few even say they were wrong. But, mostly, they haven't gone away (save those who've gone to where we're all going eventually).

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

For PCC aficionados only the one overnight count again, as in 2012, in glorious Wiltshire.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    JackW said:

Aides to the Pope indicate that he endorses Catholicism.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

TSE (the TPD) doesn't know. He is just informed by his own bigotries. Clarke as a leader in 2005 would have seen the Tories far more fractured than they were and lucky to even remain as a coherent party to reach 2010.
    Although as Cameron has proven, all he needed to do was keep his mouth relatively shut about Europe and the splits could have been papered over.
    The point being he would not have done. Moreover Cameron won on the claim he was a Eurosceptic and was given the benefit of the doubt. Clarke would have had no such route to follow.
  • Options
    Nearly, but not quite opposite my living room window is a polling station. Talk about the Living Dead, for not more than 20 people have been in all day to vote, up till now. How do I know? I went inside and asked a Labour usher. She said there was more life in a churchyard than in this station today.

Where? Dalston, Hackney. Abbott will not care less.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

Not all GOP inclined and swing voters voters enjoy Donald's "mad as hell candidate" status.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    bb63.. agreed ..people need to grow up...and stop being racist
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: This may be the most devastating political ad I've ever seen quoting the candidate himself https://t.co/JlYA2Q7dPF

@ShippersUnbound: This may be the most devastating political ad I've ever seen quoting people from the same party https://t.co/g0Fd0gH3dK

Good to see Clinton team coming straight out of the traps to try and set the question for this election: can you see trump in the white house?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

For PCC aficionados only the one overnight count again, as in 2012, in glorious Wiltshire.
    My home county making me proud.
  • Options

JackW said:

Aides to the Pope indicate that he endorses Catholicism.
    Did you get that reptile rumour from Finchley Road News Network ?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

Not all GOP inclined and swing voters voters enjoy Donald's "mad as hell candidate" status.
    That's as maybe but they sure as hell hate Crooked Hillary.
  • Options

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

That's as maybe but they sure as hell hate Crooked Hillary.
    That's as maybe but more voters sure as hell hate Big Dick Donald.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Afternoon all,

Have you forgotten Wiltshire Council Amesbury (East Division) are also voting today? – Tis easily done, as the only and best thing to come out of Amesbury is the A303. :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited May 2016
    @robertshrimsley: Other anecdote from today's election - slightly shocked by how many people don't understand how transferable vote works.

I think we need some threads...
This discussion has been closed.