Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

Just back from voting. Have broken the habit of a lifetime and cast my first vote for Labour.

Why???????????????????????
    See my 1.53 post and nested comments.
    I voted Labour in 2003, in a local council election.

The Tory candidate was a bell end, think Brian Coleman without the charm and personality, even his own family didn't vote for him.

Plus it seemed the best way to get rid of IDS.
    IDS never lost a GE as Tory Leader!
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited May 2016
    I've voted Tory. And I'm a first class knob.

Not sure if I've made it as far as working class though. I'm a bit below that.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:
    The Tories were later revised up to 33%.
    At least they didn't show someone voting Labour at that time: http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/82786000/jpg/_82786443_bbca.jpg
    Isn't the tip of their pencil aimed squarely at the UKIP box?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Medical Equipment Crashes During Heart Procedure Because of Antivirus Scan

A critical medical equipment crashed during a heart procedure due to a timely scan triggered by the antivirus software installed on the PC to which the said device was sending data for logging and monitoring.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/medical-equipment-crashes-during-heart-procedure-because-of-antivirus-scan-503642.shtml

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2016

Bitcoin 'creator' backs out of Satoshi coin move 'proof'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36213580

This guy is well dodgy....he has previously claimed he has a PhD (which is doesn't) and over stated his academic position at a university.

That BBC article must rank as one of the least informative I have ever read on the subject of how Bitcoin's work.
  • Options
    They couldn't really say much else could they...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Just back from voting. Have broken the habit of a lifetime and cast my first vote for Labour.

In which type of election?
    PCC 2nd preference.
    surely there was an independent. We got an independent. I hope he gets a few 2nd picks.
    No - Con / Lab / UKIP / Eng Dem / LD.

LD and ED have no chance of making the second round so if the Conservatives don't (which frankly would be a dreadful result), then I was effectively faced with a choice of Lab or UKIP. The Labour candidate has done the job for four years and not done it terribly well but in a head-to-head between him and the UKIP candidate I had to go with the least-worst option. It shouldn't get counted anyway.
    Is this the PCC for west Yorkshire vote ?

Do you know the ukip candidate ? The labour one has done a terrible job for Bradford,where crime has gone up and you have just given him a second chance - thanks.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Fenster said:

I'm a Northern working class Tory, I'm gravely offended by her comments.

I'm not sure I'll recover.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

When you have to use the Daily Mail as a defence of something or you are in the same company as them, it is time to reconsider your stance.

You've kinda lost me there..
    Someone posted the front page of an SNP supporting newspaper and called it ridiculous, which it was, and you posted the front page of the Daily Mail in return in a "look they do it too" kind of way. My point was that if you're in the same company as the Mail then you should think hard about whether your position is correct.
    I think they're all pretty crap, including the Sun one which you somehow fail to mention. It's an attack on the hypocrisy of masturbatory Yoon Cameroons (more than over-represented here) who lapped up the Mail & Sun crap in May 2015 but suddenly come over all fastidious when discovering it exists elsewhere.

Since you've become so discriminating about the company other people keep, I guess you draw the line at the Mail, Guido, Sun, Express etc.
    It's amusing given that so many posts here are bald retweets from Paul Staines without even a comment.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Eagles, anyone voting Conservative is a nobleman?

Not sure if it'll get a bestseller orange banner (hope so), but The Haunting of Lake Manor Hotel hit #1 in the UK in the horror anthology category the other day, so do give it a buy:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunting-Lake-Manor-Hotel-ebook/dp/B01DQEDAEE

After getting The Adventures of Sir Edric, of course:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Edric-Hero-Hornska-Book-ebook/dp/B01DOSP9ZK/
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

The article is a huge dollop of self-justifying tosh.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Fenster said:

Didn't you go to public school?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Who is "the nasty party"? Full of hate and anti-Semitism they would be banned these days if they hadn't already been so well established.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

This guy is well dodgy....he has previously claimed he has a PhD (which is doesn't) and over stated his academic position at a university.

That BBC article must rank as one of the least informative I have ever read on the subject of how Bitcoin's work.
    If Dave wins the EU Referendum, he'll change our currency to the BitCameron!

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

@lmkmcintosh: Next Scottish Parliament will be made up of 69 @theSNP 24 @ScotTories 21 @scottishlabour 9 @scotgp & 6 @scotlibdems MSPs our poll suggests

This would mean the 8/1 on NOM is not a wise bet, but Shadsy is also offering 5/4 on Con most seats without SNP

Also the SPIN spread on Con seats is just about attractive on those numbers

9 Scottish Greens would just be too depressing for words. This could surely only happen if a lot of SNP supporters split their vote to vote for a different independence party on the list. The SNP have been urging their supporters not to do that and for once I hope they listen.

My guess is
    SNP 70
    Labour 25
    Tories 24
    Greens 5 (sigh)
    Lib Dems 4
    Indy 1
    It absolutely looks like lots of people are going. SNP/green. But probably not enough to give greens a decent shot of multiple list MPs in every region.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

The Tory candidate was a bell end, think Brian Coleman without the charm and personality, even his own family didn't vote for him.

My last non-Labour vote was at GE 1997 of all times (my last registered in a LD / Con marginal), but today I am, to my surprise, a Green - a local decision for a team who couldn't have been more helpful over some planning issues we had during the year. Any Corbyn protest is somewhat secondary. Just double checked my poll card, as I had overlooked the PCC elections, so a bit of a decision to make there.
  • Options

The article is a huge dollop of self-justifying tosh.
    Indigo said:

The Times managed 30 frontpage paragraphs on Marvin, the new Royal Hamster - and didn't even have a photo of him. Today, we've another 20+ on unremarkable reunited with owner dog stories. It's pathetic.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

In the video he pronounces moniker as monkeyer.
  • Options

Fenster said:

Yeah but I'm still a Northerner, that makes me working class. I mean I work, and I have class.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

I guess there's a pretty long list of "things almost literally everyone really really don't give a toss about" And this must be fairly near the top...no?

Baffling. I read it and briefly wondered "whaaaa?" and then stopped caring. weird.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

@lmkmcintosh: Next Scottish Parliament will be made up of 69 @theSNP 24 @ScotTories 21 @scottishlabour 9 @scotgp & 6 @scotlibdems MSPs our poll suggests

This would mean the 8/1 on NOM is not a wise bet, but Shadsy is also offering 5/4 on Con most seats without SNP

9 Scottish Greens would just be too depressing for words. This could surely only happen if a lot of SNP supporters split their vote to vote for a different independence party on the list. The SNP have been urging their supporters not to do that and for once I hope they listen.

My guess is
    SNP 70
    Labour 25
    Tories 24
    Greens 5 (sigh)
    Lib Dems 4
    Indy 1
    It absolutely looks like lots of people are going. SNP/green. But probably not enough to give greens a decent shot of multiple list MPs in every region.
    What are you forecasting Alistair?
  • Options
    Since this is a major election day : http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6845209/how-to-vote - although more appropriate in 6 months time.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

PCC 2nd preference.
    surely there was an independent. We got an independent. I hope he gets a few 2nd picks.

LD and ED have no chance of making the second round so if the Conservatives don't (which frankly would be a dreadful result), then I was effectively faced with a choice of Lab or UKIP. The Labour candidate has done the job for four years and not done it terribly well but in a head-to-head between him and the UKIP candidate I had to go with the least-worst option. It shouldn't get counted anyway.

Do you know the ukip candidate ? The labour one has done a terrible job for Bradford,where crime has gone up and you have just given him a second chance - thanks.
    Crime going up in Bradford is probably more to do with the criminal element in Bradford.

I have looked at the two options and am even more unconvinced by Corkindale. I very much doubt that my second preference vote will be counted anyway. The independent beat the Conservative in 2012 but we don't have an independent this time, the turnout will be higher and Allan Doherty is a much stronger candidate than Geraldine Carter was, so I'd fully expect it to be a Con/Lab fight.
  • Options
    Steve Hawkes
    One Labour MP dismisses talk of a coup against Corbyn but adds: "The person who's been conducting a leadership campaign is John McDonnell."
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899

Just back from spoiling my first ever ballot - for West Midlands PCC. The candidates are all crap, and I don't want a PCC. I felt like a naughty schoolchild, not writing my X as expected, and I'm sure I looked guilty as I posted the slip.

Don't give the smugites even more excuse. If the candidates are crap then it's down to the public to do something about it. Politicians aren't a breed apart.
    Maybe next time I'll stand as a candidate myself, on a platform of doing nothing at all except donating my salary to local charities.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Just back from spoiling my first ever ballot - for West Midlands PCC. The candidates are all crap, and I don't want a PCC. I felt like a naughty schoolchild, not writing my X as expected, and I'm sure I looked guilty as I posted the slip.

Did you vote for all the candidates instead of leaving the ballot paper blank? Personally I wouldn't leave a ballot paper blank just in case someone tries to mark it at the count when no one's looking.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I guess there's a pretty long list of "things almost literally everyone really really don't give a toss about" And this must be fairly near the top...no?

Baffling. I read it and briefly wondered "whaaaa?" and then stopped caring. weird.

The concepts and technology developed by the people behind BitCoin are really interesting, even if Bitcoin isn't going to live up to the hype (the user experience it too complex for one). However, it seems two of the most likely people behind it are now dead and with that gone are two great minds.
  • Options

Indigo said:

If Dave wins the EU Referendum, he'll change our currency to the BitCameron!

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
    There must be hundreds of ways to generate some sort of 'coins' by computer algorithms. Soon we could have virtual trading floors, imaginary 'races to the bottom', and a virtual Donald Trump complaining that hypothetical Chinese computers are engaged in a theoretical 'trade war'.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Steve Hawkes
    One Labour MP dismisses talk of a coup against Corbyn but adds: "The person who's been conducting a leadership campaign is John McDonnell."

Thats the problem for the blairites, If Corbyn falls then McDonnell will get the vote, and he's actually better than Corbyn is.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Dancer,

"The Haunting of Lake Manor Hotel hit #1 in the UK in the horror anthology category the other day,"

Well done.
  • Options

Fenster said:

Yeah but I'm still a Northerner, that makes me working class. I mean I work, and I have class.
    You mean you don't see yourself as Public School Twit of the Year?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National - Pew

Trump 44 .. Cruz 35 .. Kasich 20
    Clinton 54 .. Sanders 42

http://www.people-press.org/files/2016/05/05-05-2016-Foreign-policy-topline-for-release-1.pdf
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

My guess is
    SNP 70
    Labour 25
    Tories 24
    Greens 5 (sigh)
    Lib Dems 4
    Indy 1
    I'm forcasting tiny, tiny, tiny SNP majority but have a great fat Don't Know over the lab/con battle. It all depends on whether the Con vote increase from 2011's tiny amounts is inefficient or not. For example Ayr, if the Con vote increase is inefficient then they lose Ayr to the SNP but get it back on the list, if their vote is efficient then they keep Ayr and also get a top up seat. And I have no idea about that.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    AndyJS said:

Did you vote for all the candidates instead of leaving the ballot paper blank? Personally I wouldn't leave a ballot paper blank just in case someone tries to mark it at the count when no one's looking.
    Hmm, good point. I just wrote "I don't want a PCC" across the top and left the rest of it blank. I can see I've still got something to learn about ballot-spoiling!
  • Options

The concepts and technology developed by the people behind BitCoin are really interesting, even if Bitcoin isn't going to live up to the hype (the user experience it too complex for one). However, it seems two of the most likely people behind it are now dead and with that gone are two great minds.
    Did you see the episodes of The Good Wife about Bitcoin? Rather fun.
  • Options
    JackW said:

National - Pew

Clinton 54 .. Sanders 42

http://www.people-press.org/files/2016/05/05-05-2016-Foreign-policy-topline-for-release-1.pdf

I may be a bit LEAVEy, but aren't Cruz and Kasich off the menu now?
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, thanks :)

Got up to #3 on the US Amazon site.

Mr. Eagles, *raises an eyebrow*
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

A Tory party member voting in the best calculated way to end the tenure of his democratically elected party leader?

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

It's top of the BBC News 'Most Popular' list.
  • Options
    JackW said:

National - Pew

Clinton 54 .. Sanders 42

The people who financed these polls have to be feeling a touch pissed off at the moment.
  • Options

What are you raising an eyebrow at?
  • Options

Congratulations, Mr Dancer.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Interesting that the polling station experiencing difficulties this morning in Barnet happened to be the same one where the Chief Rabbi was attempting to vote and that he was one of the people who wasn't able to do so at that time. Apparently they've sorted out the problem now.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

PCC 2nd preference.

Crime going up in Bradford is probably more to do with the criminal element in Bradford.

I have looked at the two options and am even more unconvinced by Corkindale. I very much doubt that my second preference vote will be counted anyway. The independent beat the Conservative in 2012 but we don't have an independent this time, the turnout will be higher and Allan Doherty is a much stronger candidate than Geraldine Carter was, so I'd fully expect it to be a Con/Lab fight.
    On the crime going up in Bradford is probably more to do with the criminal element,sorry Mr herdson for you pointing out the bloody obvious but wasn't PCC's brought in to cut crime if not you could get rid of them ?
  • Options

A Tory party member voting in the best calculated way to end the tenure of his democratically elected party leader?

Disgraceful.
    It was in the best interests of the party and the country. Is what happens when the Tory Party focuses solely on the EU, we get walloped in general elections, and then Eurosceptics foam when Blair gives our rebate away for buttons.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

It's top of the BBC News 'Most Popular' list.
    Well i read it as well...

Hey ho i have no clue what a "bitcoin" is or why I should care. Why is there a thing which people don;t know the inventor of anyway?

Don;t feel you have to reply and certainly not in any detail :-)
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, cheers.

Mr. Eagles, your claim to be working class. You're about as persuasive as a gorgon nymphomaniac.
  • Options

I did...So disappointing how Good Wife is drawing to a final conclusion.
  • Options

Disgraceful.
    It was in the best interests of the party and the country. Is what happens when the Tory Party focuses solely on the EU, we get walloped in general elections, and then Eurosceptics foam when Blair gives our rebate away for buttons.
    Except IDS didn't lose the 2005 election...............................
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

PCC 2nd preference.

I went for the incumbent independent PCC in Hampshire.

He seems to know what's he's doing and has chalked up a few successes.

The Tory candidate barely knew what the job entailed.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Disgraceful.
    No, you can say that when TSE complains about people voting Leave on 23 June to hasten the departure of Mr Cameron.
  • Options
    Burgess Everett of "Politico" reports on John McCain indicating he will struggle to retain his Arizona senate seat with Trump as GOP nominee and other implications of a fired up hispanic vote elsewhere :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-latinos-mccain-222810
  • Options
    notme said:

Danny565 said:

PREDICTIONS

Sadiq Khan to win the Mayoralty 53-47%.

SNP to LOSE one or two seats in the Scottish Parliament, but still just scrape over the majority line. Tories to come second, about 5 seats ahead of Labour.

Labour to lose 4-5 seats in the Welsh Assembly, with Plaid Cymru second, and the Tories only just scraping 3rd ahead of UKIP.

Labour to lose about 100 seats in the English local elections, but for this to be completely misinterpreted by the political-illiterates who don't understand mis-alinged electoral cycles. On the real measure that counts, the estimated national vote share, Labour to finish "only" 1-2% behind the Tories, roughly on a par with their performance at this stage in the last parliament.

I think the difference is going to be a touch more than that. My understanding of secret hush hush information that cant be discussed, it is going to be very tricky in the shires for Labour, very tricky indeed.
    Labour are defending very small majorities in a lot of council seats they won in 2012 which was by far Ed Miliband's most successful election. So even if they do quite well tonight, relatively speaking, they're still going to lose a lot of seats and councils. That's why Corbyn's comment about not losing seats was so ridiculous.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Disgraceful.
    Who in the party could have beaten Tony in 2005? Cameron was barely wet behind the ears in 2003 when IDS was deposed. Ken Clark would have done the same as Tony and probably campaigned to join the Euro as well. No, we had to lose 2005 in order to concentrate minds and focus on winning.

Part of me wants a Remain vote just to get all of the bad blood out of the party, a Leave vote probably won't do that now that the leadership has backed Remain. Still going to be campaigning for Leave and hope we Leave though.
  • Options
    "Sian Berry, the Green party’s candidate for mayor, suggests reopening polling stations in Barnet on Friday morning to give people another chance to vote if they couldn't this morning."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/05/local-elections-scottish-uk-london-mayor-sadiq-khan-zac-goldsmit/
  • Options

JackW said:

National - Pew

Clinton 54 .. Sanders 42

I may be a bit LEAVEy, but aren't Cruz and Kasich off the menu now?
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

National - Pew

Clinton 54 .. Sanders 42

The people who financed these polls have to be feeling a touch pissed off at the moment.
    Chortle .... :smiley:
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, cheers.

Mr. Eagles, your claim to be working class. You're about as persuasive as a gorgon nymphomaniac.

Ah. Well if its good enough for Andy Burnham, who like me, is a Northerner.
  • Options

I did...So disappointing how Good Wife is drawing to a final conclusion.
    I get the full circle story arc, but its a bit running out of road to wrap it up. It's like the last four episodes of Boston Legal - felt like they'd been caught short. BL has a fantastic ending though.

The GW team have a new show in the fall according to Variety piece I saw yesterday.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.
    Who in the party could have beaten Tony in 2005? Cameron was barely wet behind the ears in 2003 when IDS was deposed. Ken Clark would have done the same as Tony and probably campaigned to join the Euro as well. No, we had to lose 2005 in order to concentrate minds and focus on winning.

Part of me wants a Remain vote just to get all of the bad blood out of the party, a Leave vote probably won't do that now that the leadership has backed Remain. Still going to be campaigning for Leave and hope we Leave though.
    Nobody, but Ken Clarke might well have taken us to 230 seats, an excellent platform for 2010.

Had IDS been in charge in 2005, the Tories would have made net losses. He was that bad.
  • Options

PCC 2nd preference.

I went for the incumbent independent PCC in Hampshire.

He seems to know what's he's doing and has chalked up a few successes.

The Tory candidate barely knew what the job entailed.
    The LD candidate my way wants to bring in body cameras, the incumbent Tory PCC has already ticked that box, if I read their pages correctly.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    JackW said:

Burgess Everett of "Politico" reports on John McCain indicating he will struggle to retain his Arizona senate seat with Trump as GOP nominee and other implications of a fired up hispanic vote elsewhere :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-latinos-mccain-222810

I read somewhere that when McGovern got destroyed by Nixon in 72, the dems still did pretty well in congressionals.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

notme said:

Danny565 said:

PREDICTIONS

SNP to LOSE one or two seats in the Scottish Parliament, but still just scrape over the majority line. Tories to come second, about 5 seats ahead of Labour.

Labour to lose 4-5 seats in the Welsh Assembly, with Plaid Cymru second, and the Tories only just scraping 3rd ahead of UKIP.

Labour to lose about 100 seats in the English local elections, but for this to be completely misinterpreted by the political-illiterates who don't understand mis-alinged electoral cycles. On the real measure that counts, the estimated national vote share, Labour to finish "only" 1-2% behind the Tories, roughly on a par with their performance at this stage in the last parliament.

I think the difference is going to be a touch more than that. My understanding of secret hush hush information that cant be discussed, it is going to be very tricky in the shires for Labour, very tricky indeed.
    Labour are defending very small majorities in a lot of council seats they won in 2012 which was by far Ed Miliband's most successful election. So even if they do quite well tonight, relatively speaking, they're still going to lose a lot of seats and councils. That's why Corbyn's comment about not losing seats was so ridiculous.
    Crawley looks a good candidate to fall.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

PCC 2nd preference.

On the crime going up in Bradford is probably more to do with the criminal element,sorry Mr herdson for you pointing out the bloody obvious but wasn't PCC's brought in to cut crime if not you could get rid of them ?
    I have voted to get rid. But my second vote has gone to the least worst option of the two I think would make it to the second round if the Tory doesn't.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Wow such £30 posses away. That is something I'd lay at 1000s every time
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Apparently the Chief Rabbi has lost his chance to vote in the London election because he had to fly to Amsterdam this morning after being prevented from voting earlier on. By the time the problem was solved he was out of the country. Sian Berry says Barnet council knew about the problem before today.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

Nobody, but Ken Clarke might well have taken us to 230 seats, an excellent platform for 2010.

Had IDS been in charge in 2005, the Tories would have made net losses. He was that bad.
    How do you know? He wasn't leader in 2005.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Apparently the Chief Rabbi has lost his chance to vote in the London election because he had to fly to Amsterdam this morning after being prevented from voting earlier on. By the time the problem was solved he was out of the country. Sian Berry says Barnet council knew about the problem before today.

One less vote for Labour ;-)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

PCC 2nd preference.

I have voted to get rid. But my second vote has gone to the least worst option of the two I think would make it to the second round if the Tory doesn't.
    I gave my second vote to a Lib Dem. Didn't think I'd be going there again.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited May 2016
    biochemistry help-are Sphingolipids examples of phospholipids? must be right since they have phosphate group in them. and are different to glycoshingolipids which are glycolipids right? A little help with the classifications and structures please, would be so greatful there are so many different names for the same things on the internet too confusing.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Looking at the entrails of the YouGov poll, Labour's lead in assembly has fallen from 16 to 10 on the list and fallen 2% on the constituencies the middle of April.

Constituency (Changes since mid Apr in brackets)

Lab 46 (-2)
    Con 30 (nc)
    UKIP 11 (+2)
    LD 7(-2)
    Greens 7 (+1)

List

Lab 39 (-6)
    Con 29 (nc)
    UKIP 11 (+2)
    LD 8 (nc)
    Greens 9 (+2)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

And then in 2005 Ken would have tried to hold on to fight 2010 saying he had made enough gains to warrant holding on. No, this was the only way to ensure the Tories pulled their fingers out and elected a leader that would be nationally popular and acceptable for the 21st century. Dave is the result of IDS while Howard helped him get the job.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

My guess is
    SNP 70
    Labour 25
    Tories 24
    Greens 5 (sigh)
    Lib Dems 4
    Indy 1
    I'm forcasting tiny, tiny, tiny SNP majority but have a great fat Don't Know over the lab/con battle. It all depends on whether the Con vote increase from 2011's tiny amounts is inefficient or not. For example Ayr, if the Con vote increase is inefficient then they lose Ayr to the SNP but get it back on the list, if their vote is efficient then they keep Ayr and also get a top up seat. And I have no idea about that.
    My expectation is the Conservatives' biggest increases will be in the North East, with wealthy "Tartan Tories" swinging back from the SNP after being scared off by independence becoming a more realistic prospect.

How that will translate into the 'efficiency' or otherwise of the Tory vote is beyond me though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ScottyNational: News: An SNP MP reports rumours that Labour supporters are telling hardline SNP voters they can only vote if they remove their tin foil hats
  • Options

AndyJS said:

notme said:

Danny565 said:

PREDICTIONS

Crawley looks a good candidate to fall.
    Southampton and Reading are two others.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

My political antennae told me, the Tory Party agreed, that's why they ditched him
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Anywho, just went to vote in the PCC election. My polling station was completely deserted.

It is probably a nailed-on Tory win anyway, mind you.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Anywho, just went to vote in the PCC election. My polling station was completely deserted.

Whereabouts?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    edited May 2016

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

Had Ken Clarke been leader instead of IDS/Howard and brought the party behind his anti Iraq war stance the 2005 election could well have led to a hung parliament.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Whereabouts?
    Cheshire.

The bit around Chester is trending Labour (the Chester seat was obviously one of Labour's few gains in the main election, and West Cheshire council was the ONLY council that Labour gained in the 2015 round of local elections), but the super-rich darlings out in the south/east should see the Tories home.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    I wasn't sure until I went into the polling booth but ultimately I voted for UKIP for the Assembly and Goldsmith for mayor. Despite my issues with the Tory leadership and his own personal infidelities, Goldsmith is clearly a patriot with an independent mind. Those are in short supply in politics these days.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

Was IDS really that bad though? The Tories had done surprisingly well at the ballot box because voters didn't know or didn't care that he got pasted at PMQs each Wednesday.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    I didn't think this would count, but judging by others they think it does, so I've cast my first ever vote for a Tory today, for PCC second preference. I voted LD 1st preference as I feel sorry for the party.

But I did leave a note that I was only voting as I regard it a duty, and don't think we should have PCCs.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163

Disgraceful.
    How is that any different to Cameron giving away our leverage over the next EU treaty for buttons? There is barely a fig paper between Cameron and Blair. Both are spin-heavy, Europhilic, elitist wasters of public money with little appreciation for fair democracy.
  • Options
    Let's hope the London election isn't close because if it is there could be a legal challenge based on events in Barnet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I didn't think this would count, but judging by others they think it does, so I've cast my first ever vote for a Tory today, for PCC second preference. I voted LD 1st preference as I feel sorry for the party.

But I did leave a note that I was only voting as I regard it a duty, and don't think we should have PCCs.

A note on your ballot paper?!? Will your vote still be valid?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

Was IDS really that bad though? The Tories had done surprisingly well at the ballot box because voters didn't know or didn't care that he got pasted at PMQs each Wednesday.
    Yes he was that bad. In the white heat of a general election campaign, those who voters didn't know he was crap, would have found out.

The Tory Party got lucky in that era, had the Lib Dems been led by someone who wasn't a drunk, nor obsessed with decapitations, the Lib Dems could have used the 2001-2005 Parliament much better to damage the Tories.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

It will be valid as long as it doesn't identify the voter.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Steve Hawkes

Thats the problem for the blairites, If Corbyn falls then McDonnell will get the vote, and he's actually better than Corbyn is.
    Don't candidates have to secure the nomination of 35 MPs to get on the ballot? Are 35 Labour MPs really going to nominate John McDonnell?

• Options
    Mr. Jason, that's the risk of McDonnell being penny-wise and pound-foolish. If he gets Corbyn out, but can't get 35 MPs, then he'll return the party to something that isn't full-blown crazy.
  • Options
    Layne said:

Disgraceful.
    How is that any different to Cameron giving away our leverage over the next EU treaty for buttons? There is barely a fig paper between Cameron and Blair. Both are spin-heavy, Europhilic, elitist wasters of public money with little appreciation for fair democracy.
    Sorry but suffer from overhyping nonsense when it comes to the EU.

Yesterday you were telling us the Euro had caused more destruction to European lives than the Yugoslav civil war.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Possibly not, although I don't see why it should be disallowed, it was not signed so no way to identify me and I still marked the boxes properly. I saw a vote allowed for a candidate last year where the candidate's name had been crossed out and nye Bevin put in its place.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I've come home with an electric kettle, it's a Bosch design made in China, thus does the EU bow to Beijing.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

TSE (the TPD) doesn't know. He is just informed by his own bigotries. Clarke as a leader in 2005 would have seen the Tories far more fractured than they were and lucky to even remain as a coherent party to reach 2010.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Possibly not, although I don't see why it should be disallowed, it was not signed so no way to identify me and I still marked the boxes properly. I saw a vote allowed for a candidate last year where the candidate's name had been crossed out and nye Bevin put in its place.
    Someone drew a rude picture in the box for Tory MP Glyn Davies at the general election. It was counted as a vote for him.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful.

Yes he was that bad. In the white heat of a general election campaign, those who voters didn't know he was crap, would have found out.

The Tory Party got lucky in that era, had the Lib Dems been led by someone who wasn't a drunk, nor obsessed with decapitations, the Lib Dems could have used the 2001-2005 Parliament much better to damage the Tories.
    IDS was cr8p because he swallowed Blair's bullsh8t on Iraq in 2003.

Had he swung the tories behind staying out of the war, Blair would have been defeated and may have had to resign.

And the labour project might have ended much sooner than it did.
This discussion has been closed.