Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

I reckon UKIP will save Corbyn's bacon, and give the Tories a disappointing Thursday night.
    I agree with Prof Ohara. I think there is expectations management going on here and that Labour will come out with + seats. That is why i am asking where i can get some money on but nobody seems to be able to answer which is a shame as this is the site of Politicalbetting..
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited May 2016

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

@cyclefree. You gave a very good reply to my post last night.

Seeing the jubilation at Leicester today, I have often thought sport is a much better way to settle local and national differences and a great way to proudly assert our identity.

The mood at Stamford Bridge wasn't quite as attractive unfortunately. Football brings out the best and worst in our national psyche
    I'm amazed Spurs finished the game with 11 players, I thought Dembele's eye gouging of Costa was a real low point. They looked like very sore losers last night, and completely took Chelsea's bait.
    So I'm completely biased, but is there a case for docking points? The last time the FA did that for disciplinary reasons was in 1990 when Man Utd and Arsenal had a big fight. I think the behavior of Spurs players was worse last night.
    You're usually quite sensible and fair talking about Spurs but come off it. They completely lost it last night, 1 or 2 could easily have got reds but docking points is just silly, it would set a dreadful precedent. I don't share many views with Wenger but I'm sure we'd agree on Costa, when I saw Chelsea v Arsenal earlier in the season it was the first and only time I've wanted Arsenal to win a game.

btw I saw Fabregas at Spurs earlier in the season, first time live in years - was he always so slow?
    I'm too young to remember 1990, but I know a lot of Arsenal fans who felt the club were picked on. I suspect it would now require multiple offences on a number of occasions to make the FA consider docking points.

How odd that you ask about Fabregas; I was thinking exactly that last night. I don't think he was ever the quickest player but he certainly looked slower last night. Perhaps injuries have caught up with him and given he's been playing top flight football since the age of 17, I'd say he's quite an old 29 year old.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    tyson said:

I used to like Chelsea in the Ranieri days, until I had the misfortune to watch a match against Man U in a pub near London with a large group of them. They actually achieved the impossible- they made me want Utd to win.

tyson said:

Seeing the jubilation at Leicester today, I have often thought sport is a much better way to settle local and national differences and a great way to proudly assert our identity.

The mood at Stamford Bridge wasn't quite as attractive unfortunately. Football brings out the best and worst in our national psyche
    Don't go to Stamford Bridge if Spurs are playing, you'll lose faith in human nature. The last half hour yesterday was like being at your own funeral with everyone cheering.

To be fair Arsenal fans would say the same about WHL.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

I have met with serious racism in Scotland but the worst was in Wales..absolutely appalling stuff..From the Producer and his team on a film I shot there in Cardiff..the Exec wanted me to take them to court.. Due to that I turned down the new Dr Who Series..on the basis of.. Who needs this ignorant racist shit..

What kind of racism? And where? Was it in the Cardiff Bay area?

South Cardiff is probably the most multi-cultural area in Wales.

In my opinion Wales is an incredibly friendly and easy-going place.
    Doddsy is your typical Little Englander , bigoted to the core.
    No racism in Scotland! No Sireeeee!
    You are seriously deluded , and yet you claim to be Scottish. Of course there are racists in Scotland as per every country in the world. What you see less of is real Scottish people going around bad mouthing other countries and trying to pretend it does not happen in their own , a la the discussion on here by bigots like yourself and doddsy, happy to class one or two idiots as a whole nation.
    How very Tory.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Margaret Hodge, you say? I guess one had better not comment.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    timmo said:

I reckon UKIP will save Corbyn's bacon, and give the Tories a disappointing Thursday night.
    I agree with Prof Ohara. I think there is expectations management going on here and that Labour will come out with + seats. That is why i am asking where i can get some money on but nobody seems to be able to answer which is a shame as this is the site of Politicalbetting..
    Labour will not be gaining seats even in an absolute best-case scenario. That would require a 7-point lead over the Tories.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    John_N4 said:

They must be "Barking" :lol:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Floater said:
    A brave call – as Sir Humphrey would say - and a hostage to fortune by others.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

notme said:

I'm tired of the anti semitic accusations and defences now but I will say:

How do those apples taste Roger and (some) labour supporters?

You've thrown around racist accusations like confetti, now you're on the receiving end, fairly or not. Be careful in the future of labelling people, what goes around comes around.

It seems a little like the way Labour trashed the conservatives for decades in Scotland. Equating them with virtually sub human scum. Their tarnishing of the brand Tory was so overwhelming and so successful, that when Labour shared a platform with the Conservatives to remain in the Union, they essentially contaminated their own brand with all the poison they themselves had spent years administering.

It is on some levels extraordinary to watch some people, who in other circumstances see racism everywhere, an overused cliché, but many acted like Witchfinder Generals. There was no institution, no organisation, nothing that a group of white people could do that they could not see racism in. But now when they actually have some slapping them in the face, it's move along, nothing to see.
    In the Left's mind racism is something you accuse others of being not something you can be accused of.

This is the mess you get into when you have no principles but simply work on the basis of identity. That is why the Left find it so difficult to accept that Muslims (their current favourite "oppressed" group) might themselves be both victims of prejudice and a source of it. Labour are not against racism, whoever the racist is - the principled position. They are against it only if it can be shown to be by a group they dislike and against a group they like. Hence the current hysterical attempts to downplay the anti-Semitism displayed by some of their own members and supporters and shameful attempts to blame the victims for their fate.

As I posted last night: I don't think Labour has been in the vanguard of the fight against racism for some time now. It seems to me that it uses racism as a sword to prevent scrutiny of an odious moral and cultural relativity which has led it to fail to make any distinction between the liberal and the illiberal, between the democratic and the authoritarian, between the egalitarian and the misogynist, between the socially liberal and the homophobe, between the tolerant and the intolerant.

Labour has been living on the moral credit of its past fights against intolerance. Recent events have shown how empty that bank of moral credit now really is.

When Labour return to believing in and sticking with values rather than arbitrary identities then they will be the morally decent party they once were.

Well said indeed.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

I'm amazed Spurs finished the game with 11 players, I thought Dembele's eye gouging of Costa was a real low point. They looked like very sore losers last night, and completely took Chelsea's bait.
    So I'm completely biased, but is there a case for docking points? The last time the FA did that for disciplinary reasons was in 1990 when Man Utd and Arsenal had a big fight. I think the behavior of Spurs players was worse last night.
    You're usually quite sensible and fair talking about Spurs but come off it. They completely lost it last night, 1 or 2 could easily have got reds but docking points is just silly, it would set a dreadful precedent. I don't share many views with Wenger but I'm sure we'd agree on Costa, when I saw Chelsea v Arsenal earlier in the season it was the first and only time I've wanted Arsenal to win a game.

btw I saw Fabregas at Spurs earlier in the season, first time live in years - was he always so slow?
    I'm too young to remember 1990, but I know a lot of Arsenal fans who felt the club were picked on. I suspect it would now require multiple offences on a number of occasions to make the FA consider docking points.

How odd that you ask about Fabregas; I was thinking exactly that last night. I don't think he was ever the quickest player but he certainly looked slower last night. Perhaps injuries have caught up with him and given he's been playing top flight football since the age of 17, I'd say he's quite an old 29 year old.
    Graham developed an Arsenal against the world mentality, he openly talks about even practising how his players should speak to officials, to bully them. Although successful most neutrals (I'm hardly that) would say they were a cynical, unappealing bunch.

I've never seen Spurs as angry as last night, interesting to see how they perform on Sunday. Did you see Cesc rolling around after Lamela trod on his hand? I'm not condoning Lamela but Chelsea are an ugly team, I pit it purely down to Mourinho and really hope he doesn't go to Utd.
  • Options

Floater said:
    A brave call – as Sir Humphrey would say - and a hostage to fortune by others.
    Yep. Even if Labour only lose say 100 seats, he still looks an out-of-touch numpty. Which is not a myth he wants to be perpetuating.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    Obscure election factoid #34636843:

Theresa May came third as the Tory candidate at the 1994 Barking By-election, wot saw Margaret Hodge elected. The LD Gary White was runner up.

Hodge 72%
    White 12%
    May 10%
    Others 6%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barking_by-election,_1994
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,936
    tyson said:

Spoiler alert

Some us are still ploughing on in series 4 when Jon Snow looks to be alive and well and doing a good job at the Knight's Watch. I hope nothing bad happens to him......

You haven't reached the part then, where Jon burns Gilly's baby alive as a human sacrifice?
  • Options
    timmo said:

Make us some offers....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,259

malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

I have met with serious racism in Scotland but the worst was in Wales..absolutely appalling stuff..From the Producer and his team on a film I shot there in Cardiff..the Exec wanted me to take them to court.. Due to that I turned down the new Dr Who Series..on the basis of.. Who needs this ignorant racist shit..

Scotland has no time for racism, they're all too busying engaging in sectarianism
    Tbf the Loyalists are multi-taskers, they manage both.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    TUD..Every day the Producer of the film would walk onto the studio floor and say to everyone.."I can smell dogshit,there must be an Englishman on the set". apart from that idiot the disappointing thing was that the entire Welsh crew gave a cheer...I was the only Englishman on the set...and that was just one incident but every day..there were others..like being banned from the catering area..because I smelled of dogshit..having expenses turned down..because the English had ripped off wales for centuries..and it went on every day..for almost two months..Fuck em.. I finished the film, gave them the large bill and walked..
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    http://hurryupharry.org/2016/05/03/labours-impoverished-expectations-or-why-i-cannot-join-the-centre-left-in-voting-for-sadiq-khan/

Powerful piece

"In short, Sadiq Khan’s extravagant recent claim that “I have spent my whole life fighting extremism” is entirely false. On the contrary, he has supported extremists, he has aligned with extremists, he has shared their platforms, he has circulated petitions advancing their arguments and interests, he has euphemised their blood-curdling incitement as mere “flowery words”, and he has repeatedly used his position as a human rights advocate and an MP to lend extremists’ arguments a spurious legitimacy. And while he has energetically defended the rights of Al Qaeda sympathisers and operatives like Babar Ahmad and Shaker Aamer, Khan has had precious little to say about a campaign of incitement – exposed in the Wimbledon Guardian as far back as 2010 – by the sectarian organisation Khatme Nabuwwat to boycott and ostracise peaceful Ahmadi Muslims, conducted for years on his own south London doorstep, and supported by the imam of the mosque he attends."
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Graham developed an Arsenal against the world mentality, he openly talks about even practising how his players should speak to officials, to bully them. Although successful most neutrals (I'm hardly that) would say they were a cynical, unappealing bunch.

I've never seen Spurs as angry as last night, interesting to see how they perform on Sunday. Did you see Cesc rolling around after Lamela trod on his hand? I'm not condoning Lamela but Chelsea are an ugly team, I pit it purely down to Mourinho and really hope he doesn't go to Utd.

Spurs will be without Dembele, Alli and Lamela on Sunday, plus Rose and Alderweirald and maybe Dier through injury. Southampton should win and certainly won't get beaten.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    timmo said:

Have you tried asking the bookies for the market ?

Paddy can often oblige, Ladbrokes, Coral and Hills too.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

TUD..Every day the Producer of the film would walk onto the studio floor and say to everyone.."I can smell dogshit,there must be an Englishman on the set". apart from that idiot the disappointing thing was that the entire Welsh crew gave a cheer...I was the only Englishman on the set...and that was just one incident but every day..there were others..like being banned from the catering area..because I smelled of dogshit..having expenses turned down..because the English had ripped off wales for centuries..and it went on every day..for almost two months..Fuck em.. I finished the film, gave them the large bill and walked..

If this is true (and sorry to say, but I can't believe it is) then you should've done something about it.

It isn't racism, it is workplace bullying. Small-minded, cruel, workplace bullying. They could've all been taken to court for their behaviour towards you.

But like I said, I can't believe that professional people would behave like that.
  • Options

timmo said:

Make us some offers....
    I am just asking if Bookies are making prices thats all..they did 2 years ago on the number of UKIP seats and i did ok out of that but there obviously isnt much interest for them to put up prices.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

You are seriously deluded , and yet you claim to be Scottish. Of course there are racists in Scotland as per every country in the world. What you see less of is real Scottish people going around bad mouthing other countries and trying to pretend it does not happen in their own , a la the discussion on here by bigots like yourself and doddsy, happy to class one or two idiots as a whole nation.
    How very Tory.
    I guess you've got 'sense of humour' dialed down to zero then.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    Asking them on Twitter is the best way I think @Timmo.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,259
    A fun quiz for all the family.

'Who said it: Britain First or Zac Goldsmith?'

http://tinyurl.com/gq269bn
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,570

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    :):)

Vaz is, without doubt, the biggest, most utterly shameless bellend in politics.

In a way I almost admire him.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

John_N4 said:

They must be "Barking" :lol:
    I taught my dog to play the trumpet on the London Underground. He went from Barking to Tooting in an hour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

timmo said:

the advice
    Have you tried asking the bookies for the market ?

Paddy can often oblige, Ladbrokes, Coral and Hills too.
    Thanks for the advice. will do.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited May 2016
    No and thank you (not)- I think I'm at episode 3 or 4. The daughter of Sean Bean is getting married to some notright nasty type who made that other young chap quite servile.

My wife still thinks that Jon Snow will get together with the blonde one (the one now refusing to take off her clothes)- I forget her name- Queen something or other.

My wife is a dead ringer for the witchy one who is having an affair with the king of something or other. It really is quite unnerving- but I cannot bring myself to tell my wife she looks like a a witch.

I never remember any of the names (apart from Jon Snow which is easy). It is all very complicated mind.
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

Spoiler alert

Some us are still ploughing on in series 4 when Jon Snow looks to be alive and well and doing a good job at the Knight's Watch. I hope nothing bad happens to him......

You haven't reached the part then, where Jon burns Gilly's baby alive as a human sacrifice?
  • Options

They were just trying to show you what is was like to be Welsh in England, you obviously took it personally by the sounds of it , sounds like just a bit of banter as they say on here.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

How very Tory.
    I guess you've got 'sense of humour' dialed down to zero then.....
    when it is related to Doddsy quotes there can be no sense of humour.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,527
    malcolmg said:

They were just trying to show you what is was like to be Welsh in England, you obviously took it personally by the sounds of it , sounds like just a bit of banter as they say on here.
    Don't be bloody ridiculous.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,527
    tyson said:

No and thank you (not)- I think I'm at episode 3 or 4. The daughter of Sean Bean is getting married to some notright nasty type who made that other young chap quite servile.

My wife still thinks that Jon Snow will get together with the blonde one (the one now refusing to take off her clothes)- I forget her name- Queen something or other.

My wife is a dead ringer for the witchy one who is having an affair with the king of something or other. It really is quite unnerving- but I cannot bring myself to tell my wife she looks like a a witch.

I never remember any of the names (apart from Jon Snow which is easy). It is all very complicated mind.

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

Spoiler alert

It really is such mind-rotting shite. I pity anyone 'hooked' on it.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

notme said:

I'm tired of the anti semitic accusations and defences now but I will say:

You've thrown around racist accusations like confetti, now you're on the receiving end, fairly or not. Be careful in the future of labelling people, what goes around comes around.

Their tarnishing of the brand Tory was so overwhelming and so successful, that when Labour shared a platform with the Conservatives to remain in the Union, they essentially contaminated their own brand with all the poison they themselves had spent years administering.

It is on some levels extraordinary to watch some people, who in other circumstances see racism everywhere, an overused cliché, but many acted like Witchfinder Generals. There was no institution, no organisation, nothing that a group of white people could do that they could not see racism in. But now when they actually have some slapping them in the face, it's move along, nothing to see.
    In the Left's mind racism is something you accuse others of being not something you can be accused of.

This is the mess you get into when you have no principles but simply work on the basis of identity. That is why the Left find it so difficult to accept that Muslims (their current favourite "oppressed" group) might themselves be both victims of prejudice and a source of it. Labour are not against racism, whoever the racist is - the principled position. They are against it only if it can be shown to be by a group they dislike and against a group they like. Hence the current hysterical attempts to downplay the anti-Semitism displayed by some of their own members and supporters and shameful attempts to blame the victims for their fate.

As I posted last night: I don't think Labour has been in the vanguard of the fight against racism for some time now. It seems to me that it uses racism as a sword to prevent scrutiny of an odious moral and cultural relativity which has led it to fail to make any distinction between the liberal and the illiberal, between the democratic and the authoritarian, between the egalitarian and the misogynist, between the socially liberal and the homophobe, between the tolerant and the intolerant.

Labour has been living on the moral credit of its past fights against intolerance. Recent events have shown how empty that bank of moral credit now really is.

When Labour return to believing in and sticking with values rather than arbitrary identities then they will be the morally decent party they once were.

Well said indeed.
    One of the most cogent and intelligent pieces I've read about Labour's pernicious identity politics. We need to see you on TV screens, cyclefree.

This discussion has been closed.