Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,992

Pulpstar said:

California Republican Presidential Primary KABC/SurveyUSA
    Trump 54, Cruz 20, Kasich 16 Trump +34

Wow. a ten-point lead would get him the nomination, 15 points would get 90% of the delegates.

Despite this latest poll, showing Trump having a huge lead in the largest state of all by far, those nice folk at Wm. Hill continue to offer Will Donald Trump clinch Republican presidential nomination before Cleveland convention? at seemingly very generous odds of 1.57 or 4/7 in old money.
    I remember from long ago my near namesake on PB, PtP, pointing out that Hills' Political expert "Sidney" was rather prone to sleeping in of a morning, resulting in bargain prices being available - this one can't last much longer surely, but DYOR.

Many thanks to you White Rabbit for highlighting this value ..... I've just topped up.
    I did attempt to quiz customer support on what it means to "clinch" the nomination. However after twenty minutes of messing around, it became clear they knew no more than us.
    Indeed, "clinch" is a rather vague, not to say potentially unfortunate term ..... let's hope it's not Hillspeak for gabbing one by the spheroids or suchlike.
    More seriously though, I imagine that if Trump has not secured sufficient delegates prior to the GOP convention, then procedures need to have been put in place for resolving the nomination - in the absence of which then Trump is presumably the winner!
    I can't see that market, however the US double -

03 May 2016 - 2016 US Presidential Election - Who will be the official Democrat and Republican Candiates in the Presidential Election

Clinton / Trump @ 2/7

is money for old rope.
    It's here but Sidney has trimmed the price slightly to 1.5 ( or 0.5/1) :

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/t/543/US+Politics.html

The power of PB.com!
    Thanks, I have a nifty fifty on that. I assume it means over 1237 bound delegates ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JewishNewsUK: Labour candidate: ‘You can get away with offending anyone so long as they’re not Jewish’ https://t.co/ez6VkPb9WQ https://t.co/2WqdySwp1t
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Herdson, jein.

It'll be talk about augmenting capabilities, co-operation and so forth. But there'll still be the drift towards centralisation as sovereignty ebbs away.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited May 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

California Republican Presidential Primary KABC/SurveyUSA
    Trump 54, Cruz 20, Kasich 16 Trump +34

Wow. a ten-point lead would get him the nomination, 15 points would get 90% of the delegates.

Despite this latest poll, showing Trump having a huge lead in the largest state of all by far, those nice folk at Wm. Hill continue to offer Will Donald Trump clinch Republican presidential nomination before Cleveland convention? at seemingly very generous odds of 1.57 or 4/7 in old money.
    I remember from long ago my near namesake on PB, PtP, pointing out that Hills' Political expert "Sidney" was rather prone to sleeping in of a morning, resulting in bargain prices being available - this one can't last much longer surely, but DYOR.

Many thanks to you White Rabbit for highlighting this value ..... I've just topped up.
    I did attempt to quiz customer support on what it means to "clinch" the nomination. However after twenty minutes of messing around, it became clear they knew no more than us.
    Indeed, "clinch" is a rather vague, not to say potentially unfortunate term ..... let's hope it's not Hillspeak for gabbing one by the spheroids or suchlike.
    More seriously though, I imagine that if Trump has not secured sufficient delegates prior to the GOP convention, then procedures need to have been put in place for resolving the nomination - in the absence of which then Trump is presumably the winner!
    I can't see that market, however the US double -

03 May 2016 - 2016 US Presidential Election - Who will be the official Democrat and Republican Candiates in the Presidential Election

Clinton / Trump @ 2/7

is money for old rope.
    It's here but Sidney has trimmed the price slightly to 1.5 ( or 0.5/1) :

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/t/543/US+Politics.html

The power of PB.com!
    Thanks, I have a nifty fifty on that. I assume it means over 1237 bound delegates ?
    Well if it doesn't IBAS will be getting a call...

That being said if Trump sweeps CA, he will have "clinched" the nomination on every reasonable metric.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Apparently SkyBet paid out £4.6m on Leicester FC.

I wonder how much they took on that market
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Scott_P said:

@JewishNewsUK: Labour candidate: ‘You can get away with offending anyone so long as they’re not Jewish’ https://t.co/ez6VkPb9WQ https://t.co/2WqdySwp1t

Has he got cartoons of the Prophet on his leaflets then? Thought not....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,571

Mr. Herdson, jein.

It'll be talk about augmenting capabilities, co-operation and so forth. But there'll still be the drift towards centralisation as sovereignty ebbs away.

Are you talking about NATO?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Jewish News
    Labour candidate: ‘You can get away with offending anyone so long as they’re not Jewish’ https://t.co/ez6VkPb9WQ https://t.co/2WqdySwp1t
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that's appalling English. Almost as bad as 'pre-prepared'.

Yes, the dreaded "would of" which sadly one sees more and more. Is this a texting special I wonder, devised to save keying an extra two characters?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Mr. Runnymede, quite. I suspect Remain will handily win, the EU army will come into being, and some of those who voted to stay will rather regret it.

Won't be a big bang with the army, though. Salami-slicing all the way. National armies will remain, they'll simply be gradually diminished, their duties taken over by the larger EU army.

You can't avoid a 'big bang'. A EU army needs an EU C-in-C and an EU Commissioner. *Those* are the Big bang moments. Anything else is just reverseable cooperation.
    But you are in any case comfortable with that David, aren't you?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    One for the night owls - Stephen Bush - declaration times and party performance issues.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2016/05/what-look-out-2016-local-and-devolved-elections
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

anyone have a funny feeling zac might just pull off a suprising victory?

Someone tipped him on here the other day. Zac is 13/2 with Sky, Betfred and the Tote, if you fancy him.
    i would love to put money on him.......

then lick it off.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, when NATO starts imposing laws via QMV on us, costing us billions every year just in membership fees, then I'll start worrying about NATO.
  • Options

This is why no one should ever vote for John McDonnell or Labour

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/727428855640805376

LOL!! Congrats to Leicester. To Jeremy? Not so much....
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

But I'll bet they've *not* paid out a lot more on Chelsea, Man C, Man U and so on.
    Leicester winning the league is a very bad result on the market for nearly all bookmakers. If it were just the pre-season bets, then the old wisdom about outsiders being good for bookies would hold true. But people were backing them all season at fancy prices.
    True. Someone - modesty prevents me naming him - did tip them at 20/1 at Xmas, which was ludicrously long. That said, surely they'll have taken more than £4.6m on the rest?
    Not a chance. Antepost doesn't generally attract big money; people like to win asap.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, when NATO starts imposing laws via QMV on us, costing us billions every year just in membership fees, then I'll start worrying about NATO.

You can argue that Article V is just like QMV but worse. NATO also dictates we spend 2% of GDP on defence.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    A sure sign of a slimy professional power hungry politician is switching parties - normal people don't go from blue to red when offended by a particular event.

Well rid.

• Options

Mr. Herdson, jein.

The EU can talk all it likes - it ain't getting our nukes in its army. And without them....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited May 2016
    Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr
    Labour's poster "elections are about taking sides" is wrong in a very revealing way. Most people plump for least worst option on ballot

It takes a v insular, tribal view of politics to presume that people will rally to the party that says: "Be with us or you're one of them

.....Which Is a very deep-rooted arrogance in Labour about its entitlement to be the good guys

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

But I'll bet they've *not* paid out a lot more on Chelsea, Man C, Man U and so on.
    Leicester winning the league is a very bad result on the market for nearly all bookmakers. If it were just the pre-season bets, then the old wisdom about outsiders being good for bookies would hold true. But people were backing them all season at fancy prices.
    True. Someone - modesty prevents me naming him - did tip them at 20/1 at Xmas, which was ludicrously long. That said, surely they'll have taken more than £4.6m on the rest?
    Not a chance. Antepost doesn't generally attract big money; people like to win asap.
    That surprises me considering how much is bet on single matches (which are, admittedly, 'win asap' events).
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, most NATO countries don't do that and we're only meeting the target due to dubious accounting.

I don't think most of the country will be as indifferent as you seem to be.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,226

Floater said:

daodao said:

I do hope that Hodge does not challenge Corbyn, as she is Jewish. It would merely add fuel to the general perception that Jews and Zionist sympathisers are currently trying to knife the Labour leadership and lead to an increase in anti-Semitism. However deplorable their views, the witch hunt against Labour representatives expressing anti-Semitic opinions will back-fire on the Jewish community as a whole, particularly if this brings down the Labour leadership. The malevolent Guido Fawkes is doing the Jews no favours.

Brilliant

By your sick and perverted logic Jews should not complain about anti semitism because that will lead to more anti semitism.

Decent Labour supporters - is this really the sort of person you are happy to share your party with?
    I read Daodao comments on this mornings thread and just felt more and more depressed. His comments are just plain unacceptable and like others on here I just feel I want to have 'time off' from this forum. There is a good and lively debate on the referendum with strong views on both sides but this pales into insignificance with the tribulations within the labour party and some quite extraordinary views and expressions of intolerance. I think a day spent with my grandchildren and their innocence will be richly rewarding
    I felt horrified and angry. I'm not going to let such comments go unchallenged.

I understand your reaction. But "For evil to flourish it is enough that good men do nothing." So I am going to do something, little as that is.

Enjoy your day with your family.

• Options
    runnymede said:

Mr. Runnymede, quite. I suspect Remain will handily win, the EU army will come into being, and some of those who voted to stay will rather regret it.

Won't be a big bang with the army, though. Salami-slicing all the way. National armies will remain, they'll simply be gradually diminished, their duties taken over by the larger EU army.

You can't avoid a 'big bang'. A EU army needs an EU C-in-C and an EU Commissioner. *Those* are the Big bang moments. Anything else is just reverseable cooperation.
    Not yet.
  • Options

runnymede said:

Not yet.
    Interesting response. What are you waiting for?
  • Options

The betting wasn't all antepost, the £4.6m wasn't just £1 punters at fancy prices.

I'm amazed that on a betting site people lack even a basic understanding of punting.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr
    Labour's poster "elections are about taking sides" is wrong in a very revealing way. Most people plump for least worst option on ballot

It takes a v insular, tribal view of politics to presume that people will rally to the party that says: "Be with us or you're one of them

.....Which Is a very deep-rooted arrogance in Labour about its entitlement to be the good guys

It's nice of them to spread the message that everyone who doesn't vote Labour is a Tory. That must be close to 70% for Cameron according to their logic. A huge mandate in anyone's book.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, most NATO countries don't do that and we're only meeting the target due to dubious accounting.

Actually I'm not in favour of what the EU is proposing, we should be strengthening/co-operating via NATO.

I'm just pointing out we already do what some Eurosceptics fear we might do, just under the umbrella of NATO.
  • Options

You can argue that Article V is just like QMV but worse. NATO also dictates we spend 2% of GDP on defence.
    Does that 2% include MOD pensions?
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, jein.

For European countries (including the UK) to augment their capabilities would be a very good thing given current capabilities and threats, irrespective of the EU.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

A sure sign of a slimy professional power hungry politician is switching parties - normal people don't go from blue to red when offended by a particular event.

Well rid.

Normal people don't go from blue to red full stop.
  • Options

The betting wasn't all antepost, the £4.6m wasn't just £1 punters at fancy prices.

I'm amazed that on a betting site people lack even a basic understanding of punting.
    This is by far one of the funniest comments I've ever seen on the site.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

That surprises me considering how much is bet on single matches (which are, admittedly, 'win asap' events).
    That's the true flipside of all these loss figures being bandied about; the week-to-week results have been exceptionally good.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Not yet.
    Cameron to justify it so he can agree
  • Options

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

It's the Left's insufferable belief in its own moral superiority ....... even as it crawls round in the gutter.

• Options

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Not yet.
    Oh come off it. I've never been a party drone - as this topic should highlight.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Well rid.

Her timing is most amusing
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Really?

Skybet paid out £4.6m, anyone know how much they took - or were all their bets Leicester fans in August at fancy prices?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,948

Mr. Herdson, jein.

For European countries (including the UK) to augment their capabilities would be a very good thing given current capabilities and threats, irrespective of the EU.
    I agree.

But, given that we have NATO, what is an EU army going to do except duplicate the number of brass hats, while doing nothing to enhance capability?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited May 2016

I'm waiting for certain lefties on here to have a "Are we the bad guys?" moment.

I may be waiting some time.

• Options

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Not yet.
    Hilarious
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Mr. Herdson, jein.

The umbrella protection from the USA is going to go and when the decision is made it will be rapid..
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

I'm waiting for certain lefties on here to have a "Are we the bad guys?" moment.

I may be waiting some time.

Read the Guardian's comment threads.

It Is All The Fault Of Someone Else.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    Scott_P said:

Are they saying he's anti semitic too? As I just said to Floater this quickly gets out of hand! Read what he's accused of doing. I'd decided to stop posting on this subject-I don't even like Corbyn's Labour Party-but I felt they were being treated unfairly.

Then I read Guido's latest on Paul Flynn.......

.....I don't know him or anything about him. But he wrote to a Jewish constituent saying he's been in the Party for 30 years and he had never seen any anti semitism (why would he?) He sounded crushed. The constituent unkindly sent the letter to Guido who returned the favour by doing a character assasination on Flynn.

That's where this thing has led and why people have to speak up.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

It's the Left's insufferable belief in its own moral superiority ....... even as it crawls round in the gutter.

I'm pretty trenchant in my views of Rachael Sylvester when she strays into commenting on Tories - but she's rock solid on Labour since early Tony vs Gordon. She's taking no prisoners on Labourites and anti-semitism today

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/labour-is-sneering-at-the-wrong-kind-of-voter-t7jbsb6kp

• Options
    edited May 2016
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Not yet.
    Ultimate control of armed forces is a defining feature of sovereignty. An EU with its own armed forces accountable *only* to the EU (and accountability has to lie in the final analysis in one place), is for practical purposes, a fully blown state. It's not just the army, navy and air force; it's that it would then need substantial funding and a genuine single foreign policy. There'd also need to be a much beefier democracy to hold it to account.

Unless there is the will among the public and politicians to build that state, then it would be counterproductive to try to build central features of it piecemeal and without the other necessary supports they'd need. There isn't that will.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,595

Actually I'm not in favour of what the EU is proposing, we should be strengthening/co-operating via NATO.

I'm just pointing out we already do what some Eurosceptics fear we might do, just under the umbrella of NATO.
    I am with you on NATO.

The difference is that NATO is a military alliance of independent sovereign states. The EU army is intended to be a tool of a new federal state.
  • Options

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Not yet.
    Fair enough, but I'm still interested in knowing what you are waiting for David.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

Did you miss Michael Howard's 'Are you thinking what we're thinking' campaign?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

I haven't felt so uncomfortable about British politics since 1984 when Thatcher was running riot and some very unpleasant people were riding on her coat tails. The Bennite/Foot Labour Party was equally unattractive and similarly infiltrated by people with an agenda that was both alien and unpleasant.

One of the sayings I find most often comes true is that 'the dawn follows the darkest night'. In this case though it's in reverse. For the first time for years we had a reasonably benign Tory Party and a Labour Party in transition. Completely unelectable but at least they were being forced to rebuild......

And then in a couple of weeks the Tories self immolated and Labour at their weakest have had the scaffolding pulled from under them by some dark forces as yet unknown..........

Dear God Roger, listen to yourself.

It is self inflicted, it is not a fecking Tory or Mossad plot.
    I've never suggested or thought it was a Tory or Mossad plot! It that sense it isn't a plot at all. It's a nasty blogger who has the support of many people who share his aims. It happened to a lesser extent with UKIP when every day another councillor was outed. It never really gained legs because no one expected better from UKIPers. The problem with these witch hunts is how indiscriminate they are. They attract all sorts of self seekers and it's impossible to guess where it'll end.

Labour has to suck it up. The members voted for and continues to give strong support to a leadership that has happily indulged and stood shoulder to shoulder with anti-Semites for 30 year and more; and the furore has been caused by how that leadership has responded to the anti-Semitism that has been exposed inside the party. Of course Guido, the Mail etc wish Labour ill, but if the problem did not exist they would not have the stories to run.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

Cracking campaign that one

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/feb/01/advertising.politicsandthemedia

"Labour's election strategist, Alan Milburn, was today forced to defend the party's controversial proposed advertising, as the Tories dubbed it a "campaign of sly anti-semitism".

The Conservative frontbench spokesman, Julian Lewis, described one poster of Michael Howard swinging a stopwatch as an "outrageous Fagin smear".

He made the remarks just hours after the Labour party removed the images, which were proposed as the centrepiece of a new poster campaign, from its website."
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Are they saying he's anti semitic too? As I just said to Floater this quickly gets out of hand! Read what he's accused of doing. I'd decided to stop posting on this subject-I don't even like Corbyn's Labour Party-but I felt they were being treated unfairly.

.....I don't know him or anything about him. But he wrote to a Jewish constituent saying he's been in the Party for 30 years and he had never seen any anti semitism (why would he?) He sounded crushed. The constituent unkindly sent the letter to Guido who returned the favour by doing a character assasination on Flynn.

I've never been in the Labour Party but I am aware of an undercurrent of antisemitism even if it has been brought to my attention recently. If Mr Flynn really hasn't seen any in 30 years then he has been looking the other way.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mr. Herdson, jein.

I agree.

But, given that we have NATO, what is an EU army going to do except duplicate the number of brass hats, while doing nothing to enhance capability?
    I think that's pricelessly it.

Aside from the UK and France (both of whom can do very little without US logistical support anyway) the military strength of the EU's member states is rather puny.

A self-defence force, a few eurofighters, a coastal greywater navy and a couple of frigates seems to be the standard fare.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Off topic: The Ratesetter 5 year rate is at 4.6%, and the 3 year just over 2.1% !

Money has never been cheaper

(That's the "saver" rate, but the rate to borrow at will be correlated obviously)
  • Options
    notme said:

Mr. Herdson, jein.

The umbrella protection from the USA is going to go and when the decision is made it will be rapid..
    Yes. That is one reason that has pushed me towards a European answer. What does the US get out of NATO?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

The criticism there is two-fold: first it is not accurate. If only a fraction of what has been said about Jews in the last few days had been said about Muslims we'd have heard wails of Islamophobia up and down the land. Second, people have been wary of criticising Muslims precisely because of the concern of violent reaction from some in that community.

Do you really need reminding, Roger, that people have been killed for saying something about Muslims or Islam that some Muslim somewhere didn't like?

So what he says is factually inaccurate.

Finally, he implies that there is some great Jewish lobby behind all the complaints orchestrating this. That - if not anti-Semitic in itself - is perilously close to some well-worn anti-Semitic tropes.

The people now arguing most strongly for the right to offend Jews are those who have shouted the loudest about not offending other groups. Well, if offence is to be the measure then all groups are entitled to take offence, Jews included. Or we could be a bit more grown up and accept that we are entitled to say things that others don't like and that this applies to all, including Muslims - usually the quickest to play the "I'm offended" card.

It's the double standards which grate.

• Options

Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

I haven't felt so uncomfortable about British politics since 1984 when Thatcher was running riot and some very unpleasant people were riding on her coat tails. The Bennite/Foot Labour Party was equally unattractive and similarly infiltrated by people with an agenda that was both alien and unpleasant.

One of the sayings I find most often comes true is that 'the dawn follows the darkest night'. In this case though it's in reverse. For the first time for years we had a reasonably benign Tory Party and a Labour Party in transition. Completely unelectable but at least they were being forced to rebuild......

And then in a couple of weeks the Tories self immolated and Labour at their weakest have had the scaffolding pulled from under them by some dark forces as yet unknown..........

I've never suggested or thought it was a Tory or Mossad plot! It that sense it isn't a plot at all. It's a nasty blogger who has the support of many people who share his aims. It happened to a lesser extent with UKIP when every day another councillor was outed. It never really gained legs because no one expected better from UKIPers. The problem with these witch hunts is how indiscriminate they are. They attract all sorts of self seekers and it's impossible to guess where it'll end.

Labour has to suck it up. The members voted for and continues to give strong support to a leadership that has happily indulged and stood shoulder to shoulder with anti-Semites for 30 year and more; and the furore has been caused by how that leadership has responded to the anti-Semitism that has been exposed inside the party. Of course Guido, the Mail etc wish Labour ill, but if the problem did not exist they would not have the stories to run.

Read the Paul Flynn expose today. Is this a deserved punisment because loads of people paid £3 and chose a clown?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

or Matt's classic "that wasn't what we were thinking" cartoon the following day in the DT.
  • Options
    Somebody wrote downthread Michael Howard was a Jew, I honestly never knew and if he was so what? I met him at a function about 15 years ago, a really nice man.

Identity politics is becoming increasingly worrying, I'm not sure any party is guilt free.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

No. And I didn't vote for him. Your point being?

I didn't miss either Labour's attempts to make something of Howard's and Letwin's Jewishness in a pretty unpleasant dog-whistle campaign - quite some years ago. For that party to attack Goldsmith now is rich, given its own sordid history of dog whistling. See, for instance, Livingstone the last time he stood for Mayor.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,527

notme said:

Mr. Herdson, jein.

Yes. That is one reason that has pushed me towards a European answer. What does the US get out of NATO?
    Military and political cooperation in it's pursuit of world hegemony from all member states?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @alondonforall: New Poll: 40% considering voting for Galloway as Mayor of London https://t.co/PoWILWGNos
    @georgegalloway @Atomik_Research
  • Options

Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

Always easier to shoot the messenger than deal with the message.

We're getting a masterclass in that from Labour at the moment.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,260
    TGOHF said:

Well rid.

Absolutely.
    Was it only as recently as 2004 that SCon candidate Adam WATP Tomkins was appearing on stage with Tommy Sheridan signing a declaration of independence for a Scottish republic and calling for the dissolution of the monarchy?
    What a 'journey' that lad's been on.
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

I've never been in the Labour Party but I am aware of an undercurrent of antisemitism even if it has been brought to my attention recently. If Mr Flynn really hasn't seen any in 30 years then he has been looking the other way.
    I'll make a clumsy attempt at defending him. I think he's in N Wales, I doubt anti semitism is ever mentioned there in any context, it just won't exist amongst ordinary Welsh people.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

What are you thinking Roger?
  • Options

notme said:

Mr. Herdson, jein.

So is that what you are waiting for David?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Sean_F said:

Mr. Herdson, jein.

I agree.

Aside from the UK and France (both of whom can do very little without US logistical support anyway) the military strength of the EU's member states is rather puny.

A self-defence force, a few eurofighters, a coastal greywater navy and a couple of frigates seems to be the standard fare.
    If – the EU’s aim is to establish an EU wide collective army, surely it would only be a matter of time before member states are required to beef up their military capability where necessary and introduce legislation for minimum military budget expenditure?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited May 2016

Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

I think that's it: context is all. An isolated incident here or there which party hasn't had an issue? Put EdM back in charge, or any of the candidates last year, for that matter, and the Labour Party could rightly and indignantly rally around and against the offending comments or members.

But as you say with a leadership, and associate leadership, which has been steeped in anti-imperialist rhetoric for the past 50 years, and which equates Israel with the Great Satan, and therefore the very definition of imperialist oppressor....well, to quote Mao, ironically enough wholly inappropriately in this instance...let a hundred flowers bloom...
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

I'll make a clumsy attempt at defending him. I think he's in N Wales, I doubt anti semitism is ever mentioned there in any context, it just won't exist amongst ordinary Welsh people.
    So the Welsh can't be antisemitic? Really?

That is a pretty clumsy attempt at defending him!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

As any Englishman who has ever attended an England/Wales rugby match can attest, the Welsh are the most racist bigoted nation in the UK.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Just reading a thing on the BBC about how this is the biggest set of elections for 20 years or something.

I had not really registered, and am feeling left out - no elections where i live! (Well there's a Police and Crime Commissioner one but that doesn't count...)

All parties seem to be crap at the moment so may well not have voted anyway... slippery shyster Cameron, ageing Trot Corbyn, non-entity Farron or Little Englander Farage...none of their respective mobs holds any great appeal currently.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    This has continued for so long that I can't help wondering if being offensive and divisive is actually intentional.

Purge the moderates.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Morning all. I've been very busy these last few days with the Mayfield Festival. I'll post a link to a video of my debut as a rap artist later.

I see @blackburn53 is as unpleasant as ever, and not much else seems to have changed.

It looks as though Ireland is indeed going to end up with an FG minority government but probably with independents in the Cabinet. If so, I'm not sure how the bookies will settle that.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/independents-warn-fine-gael-they-will-not-rush-deal-34679684.html
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

The criticism there is two-fold: first it is not accurate. If only a fraction of what has been said about Jews in the last few days had been said about Muslims we'd have heard wails of Islamophobia up and down the land. Second, people have been wary of criticising Muslims precisely because of the concern of violent reaction from some in that community.

Do you really need reminding, Roger, that people have been killed for saying something about Muslims or Islam that some Muslim somewhere didn't like?

So what he says is factually inaccurate.

Finally, he implies that there is some great Jewish lobby behind all the complaints orchestrating this. That - if not anti-Semitic in itself - is perilously close to some well-worn anti-Semitic tropes.

The people now arguing most strongly for the right to offend Jews are those who have shouted the loudest about not offending other groups. Well, if offence is to be the measure then all groups are entitled to take offence, Jews included. Or we could be a bit more grown up and accept that we are entitled to say things that others don't like and that this applies to all, including Muslims - usually the quickest to play the "I'm offended" card.

It's the double standards which grate.

I'm not sure anyone is arguing for the right to offend Jews. Most seem to be arguing that people are confusing 'Israel' with 'Jews' which I think a large minority of British Jews would find offensive. I AM arguing for the right to offend. Jews and Muslims. I found the 'I am Charlie' invigorating though I now realize it could never withstand a Daily Mail firestorm.

(I must say though I did like your post. It was much more thoughtful than many of the lurid ones that this subject seems to attract)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

Always easier to shoot the messenger than deal with the message.

We're getting a masterclass in that from Labour at the moment.
    The 20k petitioning to have John Mann disciplined is a case in point.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mr. Herdson, jein.

I agree.

If – the EU’s aim is to establish an EU wide collective army, surely it would only be a matter of time before member states are required to beef up their military capability where necessary and introduce legislation for minimum military budget expenditure?
    They'd need more manpower as well.

How do you suppose they might get that? Universal military service, perhaps?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

As any Englishman who has ever attended an England/Wales rugby match can attest, the Welsh are the most racist bigoted nation in the UK.
    Oh come on, you can get that chariot extracted from the inaccessible place it was put on the NHS, surely?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

As a Welsh rugby player who has toured Ireland and Northern Ireland seven times, I can attest that the Welsh hatred of the England team pales into insignificance compared to over there.

I watched England play Scotland in the 6N in Belfast and wow, if an Englishman had walked in that bar they'd have eaten him alive. Scary.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

He did question the allegiance of a Jew to the UK as our Ambassador to Israel. He thought he'd *go native*

I think it's pretty clear what he thinks. He's now also front and centre over denying anti-Semitism.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Oh come on, you can get that chariot extracted from the inaccessible place it was put on the NHS, surely?
    We can, I've noticed you stopped calling us 'Nigels'
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,527
    I quite like the cut of Margaret Hodge's gib, but she does seem to have a bit of baggage, and I just can't see her beating Corbyn, or the 'Corbyn continuity' candidate.

Nor can I really see any of the other prominent moderates doing so.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Fenster said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

As a Welsh rugby player who has toured Ireland and Northern Ireland seven times, I can attest that the Welsh hatred of the England team pales into insignificance compared to over there.

I watched England play Scotland in the 6N in Belfast and wow, if an Englishman had walked in that bar they'd have eaten him alive. Scary.
    I've been an England fan wearing an England jersey in Edinburgh on the day of a Calcutta Cup Match.

Was fine.

Ditto in Dublin too
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Rafael Behr‏ @rafaelbehr

Nope, didn't miss Labour's Shylock posters either...
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that's appalling English. Almost as bad as 'pre-prepared'.

Yes, the dreaded "would of" which sadly one sees more and more. Is this a texting special I wonder, devised to save keying an extra two characters?

Primary school parents protesting today about their children being taught correct grammar.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

"antepost" sounds like it should mean "BeforeAfter"

All Greek to me (or Latin?) - which is why i never bet...

#getscoat
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

I think you could probably say the same for the crowds at any major international sporting fixture.

I hadn't appreciated quite how ancient Flynn is - 81 years of age.

He is a dinosaur in so many ways. It is time for Parliament (both houses) to have a sensible upper age limit for members. There is a case for experience - but that also has to be tempered with the needs of our representatives to active both mentally and physically. His recent comments show that his judgement is certainly flawed.
  • Options

Morning all. I've been very busy these last few days with the Mayfield Festival. I'll post a link to a video of my debut as a rap artist later.

I see @blackburn53 is as unpleasant as ever, and not much else seems to have changed.

It looks as though Ireland is indeed going to end up with an FG minority government but probably with independents in the Cabinet. If so, I'm not sure how the bookies will settle that.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/independents-warn-fine-gael-they-will-not-rush-deal-34679684.html

I've had great fun with the Eminem rap lyrics generator:

The Foaming Mouth Hip Hop

In The Style Of Eminem
    by Richard Nabavi

May I have your attention please?
    I'm not afraid (I'm not afraid)
    To defy the polls (to defy the polls)
    Everybody (everybody)
    Come take my finger (come take my finger)
    We'll walk through Home Counties together, through the storm
    Whatever weather, cold or warm

His hands are frothing, mouth foaming, feet are rough
    There's food on his chinos already, pb'ers's pizza
    He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to defy the polls,
    But he keeps on forgetting what he wrote down,

And I am, cool
    If I wasn't, then why would I say I am?
    In the paper, the news everyday I am
    Radio won't even play my jam
    'Cause I am, cool
    If I wasn't, then why would I say I am?
    In the paper, the news everyday I am
    I don't know it's just the way I am

You better listen to Obama
    You own it, you better never let it go
    You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to defy the polls
    This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo
    You better listen to Obama
    You own it, you better never let it go
    You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to defy the polls
    This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo

So lets go back
    Follow the David Cameron as we go on another episode
    Journey with me as I take you through Home Counties
    I once used to call home sweet home

Well, gotta go, I'm almost at the EU now

And when I'm gone, just defy the polls, don't mourn
    Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my frothing hands
    Just know that I'm looking down on you canvassing
    And I didn't feel a thing, So baby don't feel no pain
    Just listen to Obama

And when he's gone, just defy the polls, don't mourn
    Rejoice every time you hear the sound of his foaming mouth
    Just know that he's looking down on you leafleting
    And his didn't feel a thing, So baby don't feel no pain
    Just listen to Obama in your chinos.
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Clumsy or not I believe the Welsh aren't anti-semitic. The majority of the electorate will be looking at all of this very puzzled.
  • Options

Yes I've been unpleasantly standing up for Jews, I'm afraid that's the way I roll.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

Read the Paul Flynn expose today. Is this a deserved punisment because loads of people paid £3 and chose a clown?

They voted for a clown who has indulged and stood shoulder to shoulder with anti-Semites for decades, and who made someone who questions Israel's right to exist his right hand man. Labour is reapong what it's members have sown. And, yes, there may be a few innocent casualties along the way. If Labour had dealt with this itself that may not have been the case.

• Options

Fenster said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

I've been an England fan wearing an England jersey in Edinburgh on the day of a Calcutta Cup Match.

Was fine.

Ditto in Dublin too
    It's just a rugby thing though.. I'm a valleyboy and I genuinely think there is virtually zero racism towards English people here. I know lots of kids who openly support England in the World Cup and Euros in football (this year will be different, as Wales have qualified.. first time since 1958!).

My mate Holty is from Kent and married my wife's friend. He's a proper Kent boy. When Wales won 30-3 in 2013 against England we made him have the three feathers tattooed on his arse :)
  • Options

I quite like the cut of Margaret Hodge's gib, but she does seem to have a bit of baggage, and I just can't see her beating Corbyn, or the 'Corbyn continuity' candidate.

Nor can I really see any of the other prominent moderates doing so.

As chair of the Public Accounts Select Committee Margaret Hodge was constantly grandstanding because of her own ignorance and lack of forensic capabability.

As a result she generated more heat than light about public spending.
  • Options
    Why Boris will never be Tory Leader nor PM

Londoners think Boris Johnson has been a hit as Mayor of London — but just a third think he should go on to become prime minister, according to an exclusive poll.

The mixed news for Boris fans comes from an Opinium survey for the Evening Standard to mark his final week in charge of City Hall.

Asked whether he had been successful in his eight years as mayor, the London public divided more than two-to-one in favour. A clear majority of 54 per cent felt he had done well, while just 20 per cent felt he had done badly.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-shouldn-t-be-prime-minister-say-53-in-poll-a3238676.html
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Nah, you need to watch England play football in a pub in Scotland. I've done both, the Welsh are very nice.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    @Casino_Royale - That's brilliant!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Fenster said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Was fine.

Ditto in Dublin too
    Before the late 1980s the England Wales game was as much about class as nationality. Rugby in England was resolutely middle class at that time, whereas it was and remains the people's game in Wales.

The advent of professionalism and commercialisation has changed the game somewhat. When Wales put England out of the world cup I was struck by how little of the old gobby gloating there was on our side.
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Clumsy or not I believe the Welsh aren't anti-semitic. The majority of the electorate will be looking at all of this very puzzled.
    http://www.algemeiner.com/2015/03/19/jewish-community-in-wales-feeling-vulnerable-following-record-breaking-antisemitism-in-britain/#

http://www.jta.org/1934/08/26/archive/city-in-wales-hit-by-anti-semitism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14582378

There is a long history of antisemitism in Wales. A long one
This discussion has been closed.