Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A minority government by another name

123457»

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

surbiton said:

No Brexiter can say after this week that the UK can negotiate trade deals with other countries very quickly [ except perhaps Albania ].

Except Australia apparently. Or do you ignore that because it doesn't suit your narrative?
    Who needs trade deals - we don't have one with the USA and quite a lot of our companies over here are doing very well over there.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2016
    MrEd said:

Completely O/T but I have just been on Amazon and pretty amazed at the lack of any discount for popular titles.

Seems like Amazon has gone the classic predatory pricing route - cut your prices to kill the bookstores and then discontinue the discounts when you have they are mainly out of business.

It is even worse....Amazon have deployed a tactic where a revolving list of popular titles for games, dvds, etc are only available to Prime members.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/16/04/22/1745222/amazon-wont-sell-non-prime-members-certain-popular-movies-and-video-games
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

surprisingly xenophobic for the so called internationalists

I thought hitting rock bottom was when SeanT called me a traitor.

But no, hitting rock bottom is when an Ulsterman calls you xenophobic :lol:
    Quite wrong. Ulstermen are very welcoming to strangers. It is other Irishmen they do not like.
    Well they do have an Englishman as their patron Saint, so you're right.
    Given that there were no English on the Island of Britain at the time of St Patrick, this is a remarkably ignorant statement.

Almost moronic.
    Blame Alanbrooke, he raised it yesterday.
    It certainly illustrates that you are happy to repeat nonsense without bothering to check anything. You’ll go far in politics,
  • Options

Layne said:

Living up to the BSE initials

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn
    The Leave Campaign want us to leave Europe and be like Albania. There's nothing British about Brexit.
    8:06 PM - 24 Apr 2016

it's actually a bit daft, last time I looked Albania was firmly in Europe.
    It actually pleases me as a sign there is a lot of ineptness in the Remain campaign. "Leave Europe and be like Albania"? They are making a mockery of themselves in basic geography, even before you get into the marketing weakness of not playing into a campaign message.
    There is no Remain message except scare the shit out of voters. Even their numbers are just made up.

If Leave had a half decent leader they would cause them serious damage.
    This is merely an hors d'oeuvre.

The campaign proper starts 9th of May.

You ain't see nothing yet.
    Dave blows off Jean claude Junker live on TV while he threatens the UK with a nuclear winter ?

the Treasury runs out of zeros for their next big scary number ?

Guided helicopter tours of the Tory party split since it's now bigger than the Grand canyon ?
    I suspect it will be wall to wall 3 million jobs versus 3 million new migrants for the last few weeks, with the Book of Revelation being cited by both sides.
    Except now of course the 3 million jobs is a fiction but Remain have confirmed the 3 million immigrants as a fact.
    Surely that shoud be FACT
    well it is fun. Does Osborne attack his own number and therefore undermine his case or does he keep passing his opponents more ammunition ?
    LOL I think Scott P and RN are having an early night.
    Nabavi's lying in bed counting 1.7 billion sheep jumping over a cash till.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Quite wrong. Ulstermen are very welcoming to strangers. It is other Irishmen they do not like.
    Given that there were no English on the Island of Britain at the time of St Patrick, this is a remarkably ignorant statement.

Almost moronic.
    well it was that or listen to you talk your time in the KKK.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Completely O/T but I have just been on Amazon and pretty amazed at the lack of any discount for popular titles.

Seems like Amazon has gone the classic predatory pricing route - cut your prices to kill the bookstores and then discontinue the discounts when you have they are mainly out of business.

It is even worse....Amazon have deployed a tactic where a revolving list of popular titles for games, dvds, etc are only available to Prime members.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/16/04/22/1745222/amazon-wont-sell-non-prime-members-certain-popular-movies-and-video-games
    3 years ago I started scaling down my Amazon purchases for the monopoly reasons. My Xmas spend dropped from almost £1,000 to just over £100 in that period.
  • Options

Indiana Trump +5. A really close one but Trump should benefit from a good showing on Tuesday,

It's the wild swings in California that will push him over the limit.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/california-republican/
  • Options

Almost moronic.
    Hey, I only joined the KKK to find out what washing powder they used to get their clothes tobe so immaculately white.
  • Options

MrEd said:

3 years ago I started scaling down my Amazon purchases for the monopoly reasons. My Xmas spend dropped from almost £1,000 to just over £100 in that period.
    For electrical / computer items there is actually a lot of competition. Amazon certainly isn't my instant go for things like pc components.
  • Options

Almost moronic.
    Hey, I only joined the KKK to find out what washing powder they used to get their clothes tobe so immaculately white.
    You told us it was for the opportunities in embroidery
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895
    How far behind is SKYs Live Golf Hoffman pars 17 3 mins ago
  • Options
    The call of work

Good night and have fun.
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn
    The Leave Campaign want us to leave Europe and be like Albania. There's nothing British about Brexit.

It actually pleases me as a sign there is a lot of ineptness in the Remain campaign. "Leave Europe and be like Albania"? They are making a mockery of themselves in basic geography, even before you get into the marketing weakness of not playing into a campaign message.
    There is no Remain message except scare the shit out of voters. Even their numbers are just made up.

Dave blows off Jean claude Junker live on TV while he threatens the UK with a nuclear winter ?

Guided helicopter tours of the Tory party split since it's now bigger than the Grand canyon ?
    I suspect it will be wall to wall 3 million jobs versus 3 million new migrants for the last few weeks, with the Book of Revelation being cited by both sides.
    Except now of course the 3 million jobs is a fiction but Remain have confirmed the 3 million immigrants as a fact.
    well it is fun. Does Osborne attack his own number and therefore undermine his case or does he keep passing his opponents more ammunition ?
    Unfortunately for Leave, Gove has given Remain some ammo on that front

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/722345657160318976
    Although you missed the "different set of skills" part.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Do you even live in the UK?

Not currently, through no fault of my own, although the rest of my family lives in the West Country with plenty of pleasant Poles around. However I am keeping busy teaching in the third world, which helps pass the time until I can see my immigrant wife and children in the UK again. Have you seen Cameron's polling against Corbyn recently ?
    Are you suggesting Cameron would lose to Corbyn in an election? Or are you of the opinion the Tories would do better with a more right wing eurosceptic leader? That worked well before.
    I am not suggesting anything, the polls suggest that Cameron is less popular than Corbyn. Being less popular than a marxist takes a bit of talent. The British public still believe in the magic money tree, they have had enough cuts when Osborne has singularly failed to cut anything of substance, we will get another idiotic leftwing government whether you or I like it or not.
    As nobody in their right mind desires an idiotic left wing government would it not be eminently sensible for some of the more voluble critics of Mr Cameron showed a little discipline. The frustrating thing to me is that without the naked ambition of Boris and the treachery of Duncan Smith there was a chance of a sensible debate rather than the unseemly melee that's unfolded.

For all my criticism of leave and it's campaign I'm no fan of the EU. However a referendum was promised, it's taking place and because the PM doesn't support leave I don't think he deserves the opprobrium being heaped on him.

Had Cameron not chosen to hose £9 million of taxpayers cash printing leaflets for the Remain campaign, he might have had an easier ride.
    Yeah right. When exactly did IDS flounce off into the sunset? And when did Boris suddenly acquire his passion for Brexit?

Refresh my memory.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

LOL I think Scott P and RN are having an early night.
    Nabavi's lying in bed counting 1.7 billion sheep jumping over a cash till.
    Lol.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    "As nobody in their right mind desires an idiotic left wing government would it not be eminently sensible for some of the more voluble critics of Mr Cameron showed a little discipline" - Corbyn is not a threat to working class or OAP conservatives, if anything he looks more of an EU sceptic. The middle class will have to contribute more. Not going to be a problem, they won't get any consideration from me.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Perhaps the most significant conclusion from the Austrian presidential election is that the polls were completely misleading again. (They are reported on wikipedia).

They repeatedly showed van der Bellen leading, just ahead of Hofer.

This seems to be very different to the result, which is an emphatic lead for Hofer.

If the projection in the Guardian is right (Hofer 36.7 %, van der Bellen 19.7 %), then the pollsters have again screwed up in a big way.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Doesn't this just beg the question "why didn't you accept the offer to call the strike off then?"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900
    What a shambles this government is! A sensible, competent government would have sorted this doctors fiasco out months ago.

The Posh Boys think everyone must bow down to them... Time to get rid.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Doesn't this just beg the question "why didn't you accept the offer to call the strike off then?"
    And you'd think that a vaguely competent government would have sorted this out before it tore itself to pieces in the Referendum campaign.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    edited April 2016
    Danny565 said:

htps://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/724348229480005636

That depends what side of the aisle people are on, I'd have thought, as other questions might be begged, but the Doctors still seem to have the public edge on this one.

Had Cameron not chosen to hose £9 million of taxpayers cash printing leaflets for the Remain campaign, he might have had an easier ride.

Easier, but not easy, let us not kid ourselves
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Perhaps the most significant conclusion from the Austrian presidential election is that the polls were completely misleading again. (They are reported on wikipedia).

This seems to be very different to the result, which is an emphatic lead for Hofer.

If the projection in the Guardian is right (Hofer 36.7 %, van der Bellen 19.7 %), then the pollsters have again screwed up in a big way.

Yes; and it makes the EU referendum *very* interesting.
  • Options

German media reporting Obama singing "Smack my bitch up" before UK press conference

Nah; he's never even heard British music.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Danny565 said:

Hunt got it wrong all along.

He didn't believe the juniors would vote to strike.

He didn't believe they actually would.

He didn't believe they would have an all-out strike

Once people like junior doctors have been on strike once, they are very likely to do so again. They get the taste for it.

I think that May and June will have further strikes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    The ST reports today that Cameron attended a fundraiser last Wednesday which raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for Britain Stronger in Europe. The highlight of the evening was dinner with 'the kings of spin' Lord Mandelson and Alistair Campbell, which one lucky bidder bid £14,000 for. They promised to 'tell all the old stories and if you find them on a good day Alistair may even act out scenes from the Thick of It while Peter may try to perform scenes from Yes Minister.'

By contrast a recent Brexit fundraiser raised just £35,000
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

German media reporting Obama singing "Smack my bitch up" before UK press conference

He probably heard it while queueing.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

He could have been talking about Jay-Z ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    Pro-EU party sweeping the board in Serbia

http://www.politico.eu/article/serbian-election-vucic-eu-accession/

That's one country where I'd vote centre-right...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The ST reports today that Cameron attended a fundraiser last Wednesday which raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for Britain Stronger in Europe. The highlight of the evening was dinner with 'the kings of spin' Lord Mandelson and Alistair Campbell, which one lucky bidder bid £14,000 for. They promised to 'tell all the old stories and if you find them on a good day Alistair may even act out scenes from the Thick of It while Peter may try to perform scenes from Yes Minister.'

Both campaigns really do have some odious people involved don't they.
  • Options
    Come on Hunt, make a move, put the NHS under the same alcohol rules as tube drivers. It would save more lives.
  • Options
    timetrompettetimetrompette Posts: 111
    edited April 2016
    HYUFD said:

Cameron, Campbell and Mandelson. Sounds grim. I'd pay £14K not to have dinner with the latter two. Actually, all of them.

I'm guessing that most of the donors were involved with big corporates who stand to gain most from the UK remaining in the EU.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2016
    HYUFD said:

Remain - the side of the loaded? Who would have thought that?

• Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Danny565 said:

Once people like junior doctors have been on strike once, they are very likely to do so again. They get the taste for it.

Hunt is spot on. Less hours, higher pay, less overtime, a great contract. Unions are b*stards. Let 'em strike. All their faux 'care.' They don't care, they just think about their fat pay packets. F*ck 'em.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Truckers should take a leaf out of the Euro friends book, and stage a blockade like the French.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    HYUFD said:

Wealthy metropolitans oppose Brexit quelle surprise
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2016
    If this is what Brussels are allowing in the run up to the referendum you know we are in for a real treat after we vote to remain.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

It seems like only a few shorts week ago that you were a Leaver, and now you're privy to everything Remain.
    Only a moron like you would think the campaigns aren't going to kick into higher gear after the local, London Mayoral, and the devolved elections are out the way.

You don't need to be Sir Lynton Crosby to know that.
    ROFL just what the Tories need - a bit more spite to go with the rancour.

Really this is probably the worst party campaign in ages.

The same party tears itself to bits to the applause of it's opponents laughing on the sidelines.
    Cameron seems determined to perform this Samson act.
    Yes, he will win his referendum.
    But at what price?

I would never,ever lower myself to meet him again. Utterly disloyal.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    HYUFD said:

Unusual use of the words "highlight" and "lucky".

• Options
    Betfair now out to 3.8 on Leave.

At what point does it become a value bet?
  • Options
    Isn't that just the EU doing its job of countering protectionism in order to safeguard the single market?
  • Options

Isn't that just the EU doing its job of countering protectionism in order to safeguard the single market?
    TBF The only real alternative is to scrap VED and go to tolling.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,534

I say just add it on to fuel duty. As I've been saying for ever. Make MOT certificates displayable in your car with a date, and Bob's your uncle. Not sure whether it helps with foreign lorries as those things have very big tanks.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Betfair now out to 3.8 on Leave.

At what point does it become a value bet?

Almost all the polls - telephone and on-line - have the race neck and neck at 60-65% turnout.

I can't see a discernible change in mood anywhere, just a hardening of previously held convictions.
  • Options
    Come on Hunt, make a move, do as software firms do, sack the bottom 10% performing every year.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,534
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

I'd try to rustle up £14,000 NOT to have to attend a dinner with Peter Mandelson and Bad Al Campbell to be honest.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Deep within that document, in 9 point type, is an expiry date of 24th June 2016 @ 00.01, that no one noticed.
  • Options

I say just add it on to fuel duty. As I've been saying for ever. Make MOT certificates displayable in your car with a date, and Bob's your uncle. Not sure whether it helps with foreign lorries as those things have very big tanks.
    I've known some vehicles with 1000 litre tanks.
    They can be a bugger to fill up away from base as they trigger the fraud warning on fuel cards.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

I'd try to rustle up £14,000 NOT to have to attend a dinner with Peter Mandelson and Bad Al Campbell to be honest.
    You could have some fun with the menu cards. 'Main Course - Kelly Surprise', 'Dessert - Baghdad Bombe'. And parking the drinks trolley next to Campbell.
  • Options

Deep within that document, in 9 point type, is an expiry date of 24th June 2016 @ 00.01, that no one noticed.
    I think you are 2 hours late on that.
    Polling closes at 22:00 on the 23rd.
  • Options

I think you are 2 hours late on that.
    Polling closes at 22:00 on the 23rd.
    It's Berlin time - where the boss lives. GMT plus 2.
  • Options

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

You could have some fun with the menu cards. 'Main Course - Kelly Surprise', 'Dessert - Baghdad Bombe'. And parking the drinks trolley next to Campbell.
    Host the dinner here:
    Oude Waalsdorperweg 10, 2597 AK Den Haag, Netherlands
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Islamist Turkey seizes ALL Christian churches in city and declares them 'state property'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/663089/Islamist-Turkey-Erdogan-seize-Christian-churches-Diyarbakir-persecution-state-property
  • Options

Islamist Turkey seizes ALL Christian churches in city and declares them 'state property'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/663089/Islamist-Turkey-Erdogan-seize-Christian-churches-Diyarbakir-persecution-state-property

Keeps them out of the EU then. Respect for minority rights is an essential requirement for entry.
  • Options

One person's protectionism is another person's sovereignty.

It's why trade agreements - like NAFTA or the TPP - contain ISDS provisions.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Keeps them out of the EU then. Respect for minority rights is an essential requirement for entry.
    Turkey isn't getting in until both Cyprus & Greece leave (and possibly France & Austria too.....)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016

Austrian pollsters possibly don't account for people lying in order to cover up what they may view as embarrassing opinions.
  • Options
    It looks like the Austrian pollsters underestimated Hofer by a staggering 50% — he got around 37% against an average of roughly 24% in the polls.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Danny565 said:

Do a Reagan and sack them. They clearly don't give a shit about the health service.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995
    AndyJS said:

It looks like the Austrian pollsters underestimated Hofer by a staggering 50% — he got around 37% against an average of roughly 24% in the polls.

Aye - it is a terrible result for the pollsters
  • Options
    gnorngnorn Posts: 14

Danny565 said:

Do a Reagan and sack them. They clearly don't give a shit about the health service.
    And replace them with ... military surgeons?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Barnesian said:

Posh allegedly derives from Port Out, Starboard Home, which posh people used to choose their cabins on transatlantic trips (to be in the sunshine).

No it doesn't, you unbelievably idiotic nincompoop. That is an urban myth which has been comprehensively demolished as a result of extensive research which has never found the slightest scrap of contemporary documentary evidence (in the form of tickets or other booking information).

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

Barnesian said:

Posh allegedly derives from Port Out, Starboard Home, which posh people used to choose their cabins on transatlantic trips (to be in the sunshine).

No it doesn't, you unbelievably idiotic nincompoop. That is an urban myth which has been comprehensively demolished as a result of extensive research which has never found the slightest scrap of contemporary documentary evidence (in the form of tickets or other booking information).

Is there any evidence as to who made it up?
  • Options
    gnorn said:

Danny565 said:

And replace them with ... military surgeons?
    This isn't like coal which can be bought elsewhere. There is no easy replacement for JDs. Besides contractually it is a really complex arrangement as doctors are employed by the local trusts and kinda seconded to them by deanaries, not by the DoH in any way shape or form. Actually the trusts have an active incentive to NOT fire as they need to then replace them with much more expensive locum doctors.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited April 2016

Almost moronic.
    That would be no English except, according to Tradition, St Patrick :-D.

Nice flapping, though.

This discussion has been closed.