Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A minority government by another name

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Only just seen Huw Edwards interview with Obama. That has to be one of the most sycophantic interviews ever. What an embarrassment - UGH!

I'm fighting hard for Leave, and I've heard a few interesting thoughts this weekend on the trail that, on reflection, are consistent with what I've heard earlier:

(1) "This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make"
    (2) "I just don't know"
    (3) "I want to stick two fingers up to Brussels"
    (4) "I'm worried"

(by the way, no-one mentioned Obama)

Personally, by a strange process of osmosis, I think the British people will conspire to give a relatively narrow Remain result <10% - 52/48 or 54/46 - which is what they want, for now.

But we will see.</p>
    That is an extremely astute analysis. I think you are bang on the money.
    Thanks.
    I've seen the latest Remain poster. You're not going to like it.
    You're a Traitor. In the purest sense of the term. Traitor.
    Remain have put that on the poster? Co-opting leave slogans, no doubt.
    No. I was calling TSE a traitor. Just for the sake of clarity. TSE = Traitor.

That's what I genuinely think. People seem to doubt me on this. He is a TRAITOR.

Don't be confused. Don't muddy the issue. I believe every person on the right who votes REMAIN, after Obama, is a traitor. A TRAITOR.

Especially TSE. He is a TRAITOR. He betrays the country he purports to love. Which is, I believe, the definition of a TRAITOR. So he is a TRAITOR. Everything else he does, says, wonders, doodles and thinks in this little life really pales in comparison to the fact he is betraying his country, and is therefore a TRAITOR.

I hope that is clear. I will now watch Masterchef.

I was only joking, but I think your point was clear before so i don't think you need worry - I presume the Remain poster is half barack obama, half farage, with quotes about what the US would so and 'who do you trust?' or something like that.
    Nah, the poster is this

//twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/724313524793651200
    surprisingly xenophobic for the so called internationalists
    Slagging off a fellow member of NATO, and a candidate for Membership of the EU too.
    well I fail to see why making fun of the less developed country is clever.

why not just write bongo bongo land and have done with it.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Only just seen Huw Edwards interview with Obama. That has to be one of the most sycophantic interviews ever. What an embarrassment - UGH!

REMAIN may well be in the lead but the elephant in the room is "turnout." I'm going to stick my neck out and say LEAVE are going to sneak over the line. They can only get better after this week and REMAIN seem to have fired all their big guns!

on I've ever had to make"
    (2) "I just don't know"
    (4) "I'm worried"

Personally, by a strange process of osmosis, I think the British people will conspire to give a relatively narrow Remain result <10% - 52/48 or 54/46 - which is what they want, for now.

But we will see.</p>
    Thanks.

That's what I genuinely think. People seem to doubt me on this. He is a TRAITOR.

Don't be confused. Don't muddy the issue. I believe every person on the right who votes REMAIN, after Obama, is a traitor. A

I was only joking, but I think your point was clear before so i don't think you need worry - I presume the Remain poster is half barack obama, half farage, with quotes about what the US would so and 'who do you trust?' or something like that.
    Nah, the poster is this

https://twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/724313524793651200
    It is a moronic poster. It is clearly nonsense that anyone on either side wants us to be like Albania, so no one will believe it. It merely shows the paucity of the Remain campaign, and how it is run by clever dick political anoraks. They are the sort of people who went into politics because they were sad losers, and have never progressed past the one-upping mentality you get at school. I am glad they are wasting time and money on such a poster.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:
    It was down to her that hundreds more refugees died.
    I thought you right wingers would agree: people yearn for freedom !
    Most of them are from sub saharan Africa, notably Senegal, which has been free and prosperous (in relative terms) for quite a while now, it's just that prosperity has brought them TV sets to see what they are missing, and money to buy tickets and pay traffickers to try and get it.
    Most?

As in what proportion?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/young-men-in-senegal-join-migrant-wave-despite-growing-prosperity-at-home-1434127244
    In the three months to March, 1,187 Senegalese crossed into Italy, outnumbering the refugees from even war-torn Syria and Somalia and totalitarian Eritrea, according to the Geneva-based Institute of Migration, though those countries surpassed Senegal in April.
    So that would be Senegal, Somalia and Eritrea, all sub saharan African countries, and all individually outnumbering the Syrians at least some of the time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

MikeL said:

Roger said:

Late in the day but can anyone explain why the EU is such an important issue to so many Tories? SeanT is hinting at something akin to a cult. Not a measured political decision

It's a very important issue to lots of Tories on here - not to the average Conservative voter.

Why is why in 4 year time once all the hullabaloo has died down it really isn't going to have any impact on how 99% of people vote in GE 2020.

Of course it's a very different type of issue to gay marriage but we are seeing an almost identical reaction - people taking it personally, feeling "insulted", thinking they are being "treated with contempt" etc etc.

How many votes did gay marriage cost Con on the day at GE 2015? Almost none. If anything it might have actually gained them votes.

What we are seeing is a relatively small group of people who are very, very, very angry that they are not going to get their own way. They think "It's not fair". And it's even worse because the person doing it is someone they themselves voted for.

So like little children they are screaming very, very, very loudly because there is nothing else they can do and they feel the need to release the enormous tension which has built up inside them.
    Just silly.

Polls consistently show about 5-15% of Britons rate Europe as one of THE most important issues, even when there is no great kerfuffle about Europe in the news. See here:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3593/EconomistIpsos-MORI-June-2015-Issues-Index.aspx

5-15% is a LOT of people. Most of them will be Tories. I know they seem obsessive and cranky to europhiles and "sensible people" and Roger, but it's still.... a lot of people.

If these Tories shift to UKIP after the referendum, or simply abstain in protest, then the Tory party is fucked.
    Ummm: I think a lot of those people might have already voted UKIP at the last election.
    I think quite a lot didn't because they were persuaded to "trust" Dave on the referendum, not a mistake I suspect they will be making again.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    That Remain poster is pretty crap, and I think I would be quite offended if I was an Albanian. On the other hand, the leave.eu one comparing the situation to US independence was quite amusing.
  • Options

I thought hitting rock bottom was when SeanT called me a traitor.

But no, hitting rock bottom is when an Ulsterman calls you xenophobic :lol:
    now your just being silly, Ulster has always had a warm welcome for people from overseas - there's nothing the warmth of a burning cross on a cold evening to get the party started.
  • Options
    timetrompettetimetrompette Posts: 111
    edited April 2016

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thanks.

Don't be confused. Don't muddy the issue. I believe every person on the right who votes REMAIN, after Obama, is a traitor. A TRAITOR.

Especially TSE. He is a TRAITOR. He betrays the country he purports to love. Which is, I believe, the definition of a TRAITOR. So he is a TRAITOR. Everything else he does, says, wonders, doodles and thinks in this little life really pales in comparison to the fact he is betraying his country, and is therefore a TRAITOR.

Nah, the poster is this

//twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/724313524793651200
    Slagging off a fellow member of NATO, and a candidate for Membership of the EU too.
    well I fail to see why making fun of the less developed country is clever.

why not just write bongo bongo land and have done with it.
    So do I. Remain need to have a serious rethink about that poster.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,897
    edited April 2016

REMAIN may well be in the lead but the elephant in the room is "turnout." I'm going to stick my neck out and say LEAVE are going to sneak over the line. They can only get better after this week and REMAIN seem to have fired all their big guns!

I'm fighting hard for Leave, and I've heard a few interesting thoughts this weekend on the trail that, on reflection, are consistent with what I've heard earlier:

(2) "I just don't know"
    (4) "I'm worried"

And it's splitting friends, families and colleagues - all over the place. Most people are really struggling with that due to no clear party labels, misinformation and conflicting gut instincts as to what the Right Thing To Do is.

Putting it altogether I think the message to the EU and HMG is "we don't like you, we don't like the direction the EU is going in, the deal was crap - the EU needs big reform, now, which we haven't got - but we are going to vote to stay (just) to keep the sword of Damocles over your head, and, coincidentally, remove any short-term economic risk, and give you one last chance.. Don't f**k it up.)

So I think to some extent the referendum result may be self-correcting: if Remain look like they are going to win big, a lot of waverers will vote Leave to ensure both Brussels and our own pro-EU establishment get the message. Floating voters do not view a heavy Remain result as in the national interest.

By contrast, if it looks very close indeed, I expect turnout of soft Remainers will be higher, and some waverers may vote Remain, to ensure the UK votes to stay in. Just. Because a majority won't vote themselves to be out of pocket, if they believe it to be a real risk.

So the final polls in the last fortnight will be crucial.

But we will see.</p>
    Shame they don't realize they will never be given another vote and their currency will history in a decade (almost certainly without a referendum)...
  • Options
    Layne said:

They are the sort of people who went into politics because they were sad losers, and have never progressed past the one-upping mentality you get at school.

Alright, no need to rub it in :(
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I wonder how Cameron will look in Merkel's pocket/handbag.

Obama's pocket would hit home harder
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2016
    Louis theroux show on drinking very very good. Master of his craft.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited April 2016
    @Alanbrooke posted - surprisingly xenophobic for the so called internationalists

I can see some on the remain left not liking this.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Shame they don't realize they will never be given another vote and their currency will history in a decade (almost certainly without a referendum)...

You really think we'd scrap Sterling without a referendum? The party doing that would face annihilation at the ballot box.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    surbiton said:

You mix with the wrong crowd. I have not come across a single person who wants out !

What circles do you mix in ?!?
  • Options

now your just being silly, Ulster has always had a warm welcome for people from overseas - there's nothing the warmth of a burning cross on a cold evening to get the party started.
    Excellent, I've got this green suit I'll wear to an Orange Order meeting.
  • Options

@Alanbrooke posted - surprisingly xenophobic for the so called internationalists

Just imagine if leave put out a poster like that.I can see some on the remain left not liking this.

Twitter would explode with accusations of racism.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

There may well be a change to freedom of movement within the EU but to arbitrarily close our borders and turn the UK into a Country under siege restricting the movement for holidaymakers and business persons is just not acceptable and if that is leaves's vision for the UK they need to state it

Who is "Leave" ? We are two political geeks sitting at our computers. I don't speak for Leave any more than you speak for Remain, so I find your line of questioning, curious.

You miss the point entirely anyway, I am talking about realpolitik, if there are a couple of bombs in London, god forbid, our borders will close, not because Cameron wants it, or you want it, or I want it, but because an enraged and fearful population will demand it. That is how fragile our "open borders" is, and yet people talk about it as if it was an eternal verity.

I do not see closing our borders will happen even, God forbid, there are attacks in the UK. The obvious threat re-emphasises the need for close and deeper co-operation with all European security services and indeed the US
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Indigo said:

midwinter said:

I do however stand by my point that desperate blinkered obsession is extremely unattractive to most voters who haven't already made their minds up.

Given the choice as a lifelong tory voter I'll stick with the proven winner Cameron rather than the disloyal Duncan Smith and his ilk. Others can do as they wish but that didn't work out to we'll previously did it?

Another Cameroon writes off a third or more of the electorate as the wrong sort of (ghastly) people. But since you say you are a Tory loyalist I guess that is what we should expect... well until an Leaver is elected leader in a few months, then leaving will be the new hotness.
    I waited a long time for a conservative government. Its sad that some of those on the right of the party are so quick to forget why they were unelectable for so long. Perhaps I feel a leader whose personal popularity carried his party to a majority deserves a bit more respect than he's getting from some of his mps.

And as for writing of the ghastly people who disagree with me....I'm a betting shop manager on the south coast of Sussex in a town full of Eastern Europeans,, hardly a member of the Notting Hill set.

Do you even live in the UK?
  • Options

Excellent, I've got this green suit I'll wear to an Orange Order meeting.
    you'll be fine...

... as long as youre not wearing red shoes.
  • Options
    Living up to the BSE initials

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn
    The Leave Campaign want us to leave Europe and be like Albania. There's nothing British about Brexit.
    8:06 PM - 24 Apr 2016
  • Options

Yes but it was not the full TPD status.
  • Options

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn
    The Leave Campaign want us to leave Europe and be like Albania. There's nothing British about Brexit.

it's actually a bit daft, last time I looked Albania was firmly in Europe.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,897
    edited April 2016
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

You really think we'd scrap Sterling without a referendum? The party doing that would face annihilation at the ballot box.
    Given the contortions we're seeing from the Establishment, yes, absolutely.

Nothing will ever be allowed to get in the way of the USE. They will not dare risk another referendum after this one and the USE is the end game (always has been)

So yes. We'll join the Euro (and the European army and ultimately the USE) and it will all happen without another referendum.

My ten year time scale to join the Euro might be a little "ambitious" but it's going happen in the end. As clear as night follows day.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

Layne said:

Scott_P said:

If these people don't have the gumption to fight a tough referendum campaign, how can they be trusted to renegotiate Britain's new place in the world?

Especially since their excuse for losing (which they are already running) is "a big boy (Cameron) did it, and ran away"
    No, if we lose this, the reason will be because Remain got twice as much funding, at the expense of the taxpayer, in direct contravention of the views of the Electoral Commission.
    If you lose it will be partly because leave has run an abysmal campaign and has at no time articulated a reasonable case. It will be partly because of the voter repellent champions of the leave campaign,. Take a bow Messrs Duncan Smith, Farage and Galloway. Primarily it will be because most people find the obsession with Europe and the constant blaming of the European Union for everything wrong in the world at best mildly autistic and at worst downright weird. Neither desperately attractive.
    Just saying...
    Yet, here we are. The Big Important People have told us to vote Remain. But leads of 20-25% with phone pollsters last Summer have now fallen to 10%, and leads of 10-15% with online pollsters have reached level-pegging. Maybe Remain are doing something wrong.
    Leave would do considerably better with a less needy message and better leadership and a more focused message.
    The whole campaign has been deeply unattractive since Duncan Smiths carefully choreographed resignation. Sorry
    Unattractive to a Cameron loyalist, excuse us while we draw breathe in shocked surprise ;)
  • Options

I am on the remain centre and do not like it
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2016

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Huzzah

Initial unofficial results show that the incumbent pro-EU populists have swept Serbia's parliamentary election, leaving pro-Russia nationalists far behind.

The apparent triumph by Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic's Progressive Party means Serbia will continue on its path toward European Union membership despite opposition from right-wing parties, which sought close ties with Russia instead.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f04e6378a1c4dccb6982fccd87dc5cd/serbias-general-election-tests-eu-bid-amid-far-right-surge

I'm guessing that Serbs will get far more out of EU membership than they will put in.
    And who will pay for it? Us.

This is one of the big EU problems. There's a conveyor belt of poorer nations waiting to join, which means ever bigger contributions from the richer members: UK, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, etc.

And Merkel wants the TURKS to join. Jeezo.

I wonder if Obama would be quite so keen on the EU if the USA was facing a similar process, with Guyana and Bolivia and Honduras all seeking US statehood, knowing they will then be heavily subsidised by the mainland US taxpayer.
    Of course. Turkey is a market of 80m hard working people. Practically on the door step to the Middle East. Think like your great=grandfather would have done.
    My great grandfather was a fucking tin miner. He'd have regarded Johnny Turk as a natural enemy and a wog.
    I'm not sure Johnny Turk was regarded as a natural enemy. Many of the men at the Dardenelles thought highly of them. However, he did have curious habits, especially with regards to women.
    My grandfather was an infantryman at the second battle of Kut and the capture of Baghdad in 1917. Despite being locked in combat with Johnny Turk including hand to hand fighting he was very complimentary about them. In particular he thought them brave and honourable fighters, never resorting to the tactics he had seen on the Western front. His opinion on the French would come as no surprise to TSE though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    @Casino I also think there's a dim but growing awareness that 'Leave' appears to have gathered in all the loners and eccentrics from British politics, who can't agree amongst themselves and indeed appear to enjoy fighting each other just as much; what few friends they have abroad are distinctly unpleasant, and some of their interventions (Obama's father, various from Farage etc) have also verged on the unpleasant. If you are right and Remain win (and I think the margin will be significantly greater than you predict) there will be plenty to take apart in post-analysis of why Leave didn't win through.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Listen to Justine Greening on Friday's 'Any Questions'. You're not getting another referendum in the next decade.

The campaign to enter the Euro will be fought with the same ferocity and ruthlessness as Remain, lest there be any doubt.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

You mix with the wrong crowd. I have not come across a single person who wants out !

I really struggle to believe it to be honest. I go out of my way to avoid talking about the referendum and have come across countless people who want to leave. Tradesmen doing work on the house, waiting in line at the supermarket, dinner parties, work colleagues, etc.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Huzzah

Initial unofficial results show that the incumbent pro-EU populists have swept Serbia's parliamentary election, leaving pro-Russia nationalists far behind.

The apparent triumph by Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic's Progressive Party means Serbia will continue on its path toward European Union membership despite opposition from right-wing parties, which sought close ties with Russia instead.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f04e6378a1c4dccb6982fccd87dc5cd/serbias-general-election-tests-eu-bid-amid-far-right-surge

I'm guessing that Serbs will get far more out of EU membership than they will put in.
    And who will pay for it? Us.

This is one of the big EU problems. There's a conveyor belt of poorer nations waiting to join, which means ever bigger contributions from the richer members: UK, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, etc.

And Merkel wants the TURKS to join. Jeezo.

I wonder if Obama would be quite so keen on the EU if the USA was facing a similar process, with Guyana and Bolivia and Honduras all seeking US statehood, knowing they will then be heavily subsidised by the mainland US taxpayer.
    Of course. Turkey is a market of 80m hard working people. Practically on the door step to the Middle East. Think like your great=grandfather would have done.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36124329
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

I really struggle to believe it to be honest. I go out of my way to avoid talking about the referendum and have come across countless people who want to leave. Tradesmen doing work on the house, waiting in line at the supermarket, dinner parties, work colleagues, etc.
    Anecdotally, both my mum and dad are leaning towards LEAVE.
  • Options
    A good ten to twenty million Turks are full-on "stone the gays" head banging Islamists. We already have substantial problems with a Muslim minority that refuses to integrate. You would have to be a fool to support adding to this population.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

My other half has gone from remain to undecided. Another friend from brexit to undecided.

Quite alot of remainers on my social media friends list.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Huzzah

Oh dear ! What will the fruitcakes make out of this ?
    What will the leftwing out of touch PC brigade make of this -

Austrian far-right party wins first round of presidential election

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/austrian-far-right-wins-first-round-presidential-election-norbert-hofer
    The Austrian presidency is essentially a ceremonial role (like in Ireland), and there is still a run off to come.

His opponent is the son of an immigrant, who thinks Austria should take more asylum seekers.

So, it'll be interesting to see the end result.

But, it is also irrelevant as e Austrian president has no power.
    It might only be symbollic but symbollism packs power itself. At the minium, it's a shot from the electorate across the mainstream's bows.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

But I am happy for it to be Leave policy, it will boost the Remain vote significantly.

Erm.. are you "Remain" ? I am certainly not "Leave", I tried growing a shock of blonde hair, but it didn't work out. I understand some topics might be completely unrelated to the EU Referendum entirely.
  • Options

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

(2) "I just don't know"
    (4) "I'm worried"

But we will see.</p>
    Thanks.

Nah, the poster is this

twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/724313524793651200
    Even more racist against Albanians than the "Taken" film series!
  • Options
    Layne said:

A good ten to twenty million Turks are full-on "stone the gays" head banging Islamists. We already have substantial problems with a Muslim minority that refuses to integrate. You would have to be a fool to support adding to this population.

A good ten to twenty million Turks are full-on "stone the gays" head banging Islamists

probably goat farmers trying to nobble the competition.
  • Options

Quite wrong. Ulstermen are very welcoming to strangers. It is other Irishmen they do not like.
  • Options
    Tim Stanley ‏@timothy_stanley
    The humiliation of watching a British prime minister make the case for why we must do what America tells us to do. This is painful.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
  • Options

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

It actually pleases me as a sign there is a lot of ineptness in the Remain campaign. "Leave Europe and be like Albania"? They are making a mockery of themselves in basic geography, even before you get into the marketing weakness of not playing into a campaign message.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Not currently, through no fault of my own, although the rest of my family lives in the West Country with plenty of pleasant Poles around. However I am keeping busy teaching in the third world, which helps pass the time until I can see my immigrant wife and children in the UK again. Have you seen Cameron's polling against Corbyn recently ?
  • Options

Quite wrong. Ulstermen are very welcoming to strangers. It is other Irishmen they do not like.
    Well they do have an Englishman as their patron Saint, so you're right.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,061
    edited April 2016
    Indigo said:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/young-men-in-senegal-join-migrant-wave-despite-growing-prosperity-at-home-1434127244

In the three months to March, 1,187 Senegalese crossed into Italy, outnumbering the refugees from even war-torn Syria and Somalia and totalitarian Eritrea, according to the Geneva-based Institute of Migration, though those countries surpassed Senegal in April.

So that would be Senegal, Somalia and Eritrea, all sub saharan African countries, and all individually outnumbering the Syrians at least some of the time.
    Ahhh... so this some entirely new meaning of the word 'most' that I was not previously aware of.
  • Options
    Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

It actually pleases me as a sign there is a lot of ineptness in the Remain campaign. "Leave Europe and be like Albania"? They are making a mockery of themselves in basic geography, even before you get into the marketing weakness of not playing into a campaign message.
    There is no Remain message except scare the shit out of voters. Even their numbers are just made up.

If Leave had a half decent leader they would cause them serious damage.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

Layne said:

Scott_P said:

If these people don't have the gumption to fight a tough referendum campaign, how can they be trusted to renegotiate Britain's new place in the world?

Especially since their excuse for losing (which they are already running) is "a big boy (Cameron) did it, and ran away"
    No, if we lose this, the reason will be because Remain got twice as much funding, at the expense of the taxpayer, in direct contravention of the views of the Electoral Commission.
    If you lose it will be partly because leave has run an abysmal campaign and has at no time articulated a reasonable case. It will be partly because of the voter repellent champions of the leave campaign,. Take a bow Messrs Duncan Smith, Farage and Galloway. Primarily it will be because most people find the obsession with Europe and the constant blaming of the European Union for everything wrong in the world at best mildly autistic and at worst downright weird. Neither desperately attractive.
    Just saying...
    Yet, here we are. The Big Important People have told us to vote Remain. But leads of 20-25% with phone pollsters last Summer have now fallen to 10%, and leads of 10-15% with online pollsters have reached level-pegging. Maybe Remain are doing something wrong.
    Leave would do considerably better with a less needy message and better leadership and a more focused message.
    The whole campaign has been deeply unattractive since Duncan Smiths carefully choreographed resignation. Sorry
    Unattractive to a Cameron loyalist, excuse us while we draw breathe in shocked surprise ;)
    You think he'd have resigned if the referendum wasn't taking place?
  • Options
    Building on England's green and pleasant land to make room for several million more foreign nationals. How did it come to this?
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

There is no Remain message except scare the shit out of voters. Even their numbers are just made up.

Project "Brick Yourself"
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    IanB2 said:

If you are right and Remain win (and I think the margin will be significantly greater than you predict) there will be plenty to take apart in post-analysis of why Leave didn't win through.

I think he is right as well, but consider for a moment the level of post-mortem analysis that would be required if Leave win! If the government held every card, played every unfair advantage, and still lose. Not to mention I would be able to hear the sound of Mr Meeks' teeth grinding from here in the South Pacific :D

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Project "Brick Yourself"
    Remain - sponsored by Immodium
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Agree.
  • Options

Yes, likewise. I find it crass and verging on offensive, but I imagine that we aren't the target demographic for this poster.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Not currently, through no fault of my own, although the rest of my family lives in the West Country with plenty of pleasant Poles around. However I am keeping busy teaching in the third world, which helps pass the time until I can see my immigrant wife and children in the UK again. Have you seen Cameron's polling against Corbyn recently ?
    Are you suggesting Cameron would lose to Corbyn in an election? Or are you of the opinion the Tories would do better with a more right wing eurosceptic leader? That worked well before.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,570
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

This is merely an hors d'oeuvre.

The campaign proper starts 9th of May.

You ain't see nothing yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Ahhh... so this some entirely new meaning of the word 'most' that I was not previously aware of.
    Shrug. Hand wave it away if it suits you. You don't know, and I can't be bothered to dig out the figures. You sounds a little bitter, I promise I didn't write to Gove and propose the current Leave offering, in fact as with many here, I think he should have kept his big mouth shut.
  • Options

Yes, likewise. I find it crass and verging on offensive, but I imagine that we aren't the target demographic for this poster.
    Looks like they focussed grouped it to a roomful of chortling Tory boys at CCO and TSE, and thought they were onto a winner.
  • Options

Looks like they focussed grouped it to a roomful of chortling Tory boys at CCO and TSE, and thought they were onto a winner.
    I'm touched you think I'm so influential.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

It seems like only a few short week ago that you were a Leaver, and now you're privy to everything Remain.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Are you suggesting Cameron would lose to Corbyn in an election? Or are you of the opinion the Tories would do better with a more right wing eurosceptic leader? That worked well before.
    I am not suggesting anything, the polls suggest that Cameron is less popular than Corbyn. Being less popular than a marxist takes a bit of talent. The British public still believe in the magic money tree, they have had enough cuts when Osborne has singularly failed to cut anything of substance, we will get another idiotic leftwing government whether you or I like it or not.
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Dave blows off Jean claude Junker live on TV while he threatens the UK with a nuclear winter ?

the Treasury runs out of zeros for their next big scary number ?

Guided helicopter tours of the Tory party split since it's now bigger than the Grand canyon ?
  • Options

I'm touched you think I'm so influential.
    You like to think you are.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

It seems like only a few shorts week ago that you were a Leaver, and now you're privy to everything Remain.
    Only a moron like you would think the campaigns aren't going to kick into higher gear after the local, London Mayoral, and the devolved elections are out the way.

You don't need to be Sir Lynton Crosby to know that.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited April 2016

What is really striking about the Remain campaign is a) there doesn't seem to be any positive message about the EU (or certainly it is way behind the fear mongering), and b) Cameron's worthless renegotiation has disappeared from view, even Remainers aren't trying to sell that.

If we weren't already in the EU there is no chance Remain would persuade us to join.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Dave blows off Jean claude Junker live on TV while he threatens the UK with a nuclear winter ?

Guided helicopter tours of the Tory party split since it's now bigger than the Grand canyon ?
    I suspect it will be wall to wall 3 million jobs versus 3 million new migrants for the last few weeks, with the Book of Revelation being cited by both sides.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

It seems like only a few shorts week ago that you were a Leaver, and now you're privy to everything Remain.
    Only a moron like you would think the campaigns aren't going to kick into higher gear after the local, London Mayoral, and the devolved elections are out the way.

ROFL just what the Tories need - a bit more spite to go with the rancour.

Really this is probably the worst party campaign in ages.

The same party tears itself to bits to the applause of it's opponents laughing on the sidelines.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

The same party tears itself to bits to the applause of it's opponents laughing on the sidelines.
    Mike's on holiday for the last 3 full weeks of the campaign and I'm guest editor.

I'm already dreading it.
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

I suspect it will be wall to wall 3 million jobs versus 3 million new migrants for the last few weeks, with the Book of Revelation being cited by both sides.
    Except now of course the 3 million jobs is a fiction but Remain have confirmed the 3 million immigrants as a fact.
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

After the locals there is AFAIK just 3 weeks and a few days for Govt communications and then purdah kicks in for the last 4 weeks. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    This is the Europe we are being asked to remain in:

"The far-Right appeared close to seizing the Austrian presidency on Sunday night, in an election result that will send shockwaves through Europe.
    Norbert Hofer, the gun-toting candidate of the Freedom Party (FPÖ), won almost twice as many votes as his nearest rival, according to exit polls."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/24/far-right-close-to-seizing-austrian-presidency/

"Austrian far-right party wins first round of presidential election
    Norbert Hofer of the Freedom party takes 36.7% of the vote as candidates from the two governing parties fail to make runoff"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/austrian-far-right-wins-first-round-presidential-election-norbert-hofer
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"The far-Right appeared close to seizing the Austrian presidency on Sunday night, in an election result that will send shockwaves through Europe.
    Norbert Hofer, the gun-toting candidate of the Freedom Party (FPÖ), won almost twice as many votes as his nearest rival, according to exit polls."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/24/far-right-close-to-seizing-austrian-presidency/

it's the future. What could possibly go wrong ?
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Only a moron like you
    David Ca-moron?
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Only a moron like you
    David Ca-moron?
    LOL
  • Options

The rules are that CCO must be neutral and not campaign for either side. The REMAIN campaign at present is largely driven out of number 10 -but if purdah is to be kept they have to hand over to REMAIN 3 and a bit weeks after the locals.
  • Options
    German media reporting Obama singing "Smack my bitch up" before UK press conference
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

After the locals there is AFAIK just 3 weeks and a few days for Govt communications and then purdah kicks in for the last 4 weeks. Am I wrong?
    IIRC is a slightly modified purdah. Purdah for the the last four weeks but normal Government/EU dealings and responses are excluded from the purdah.
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Immigration (or putting a stop to it) is the only issue that Leave can win on. I am surprised that they have not emphasised it more. I suppose we will get lots of it in the next eight weeks.
  • Options
    Looks like the leave side going after the NHS on front of the times.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Except now of course the 3 million jobs is a fiction but Remain have confirmed the 3 million immigrants as a fact.
    re 3 million. It would be rather funny if Osborne's cunning stunt of that Treasury 200 pager delivered the one number that finished him and REMAIN off. Oh deep joy if it came to be.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Well at least George Osborne will be out of a job - as the EU takes away his powers to reduce taxes.

59. In order to establish a Fiscal Union, the automatic information exchange between national tax authorities should be improved in order to avoid tax planning, base erosion and profit shifting.
    60. Coordinated actions to fight tax heavens should be promoted.
    61. A Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base directive, with a minimum rate and with common objectives for a progressive harmonization, should be adopted.
    62. The EU should embark on a comprehensive review of existing VAT legislation, addressing as well the issue of reduced rates and the introduction of the country of origin principle.
    63. Furthermore, a partially automatic stabilising mechanism to foster convergence and counter differences in the economic cycles among the Member States should be set up.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Indiana Trump +5. A really close one but Trump should benefit from a good showing on Tuesday,
  • Options

AndyJS said:

it's the future. What could possibly go wrong ?
    Tomorrow belongs to me. can be sung in the bierkellers tonight.
  • Options

Actually, Patrick could have been born in Scotland or Wales...
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Well at least George Osborne will be out of a job - as the EU takes away his powers to reduce taxes.

59. In order to establish a Fiscal Union, the automatic information exchange between national tax authorities should be improved in order to avoid tax planning, base erosion and profit shifting.
    60. Coordinated actions to fight tax heavens should be promoted.
    61. A Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base directive, with a minimum rate and with common objectives for a progressive harmonization, should be adopted.
    62. The EU should embark on a comprehensive review of existing VAT legislation, addressing as well the issue of reduced rates and the introduction of the country of origin principle.
    63. Furthermore, a partially automatic stabilising mechanism to foster convergence and counter differences in the economic cycles among the Member States should be set up.

That;s where the whole thing will explode in Remain;s face, but after the vote. The EU will just steamroller on and buyers remorse will set in.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,005
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Is this backfiring on Cameron?

That Twitter account is generally quite a weathervane.
    I think Obama using the word "queue" was quite telling, as others have pointed out, it's as if No. 10 wrote the lines and Obama delivered them.

etc.

It is my experience that, apart serious differences in spellings, the only common British word that Americans never (never) use is "whilst", preferring the equivalent, and *much* older, "while". If Obama had used "whilst" I would have fallen off my chair and suspected demonic possession..
    "Posh" also mystifies them. How do you get by without a word like "posh"? Nonetheless they do. Etc.
    What do they substitute 'posh' with then? I'm genuinely uncertain. Snobbish, I guess?
    Posh allegedly derives from Port Out, Starboard Home, which posh people used to choose their cabins on transatlantic trips (to be in the sunshine).

If you are American, you travelled the other way so it would be Starboard Out, Port Home. They would be soph people.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

IIRC is a slightly modified purdah. Purdah for the the last four weeks but normal Government/EU dealings and responses are excluded from the purdah.
    But does it not stop any Treasury style documents coming out?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

I am not suggesting anything, the polls suggest that Cameron is less popular than Corbyn. Being less popular than a marxist takes a bit of talent. The British public still believe in the magic money tree, they have had enough cuts when Osborne has singularly failed to cut anything of substance, we will get another idiotic leftwing government whether you or I like it or not.
    As nobody in their right mind desires an idiotic left wing government would it not be eminently sensible for some of the more voluble critics of Mr Cameron showed a little discipline. The frustrating thing to me is that without the naked ambition of Boris and the treachery of Duncan Smith there was a chance of a sensible debate rather than the unseemly melee that's unfolded.

For all my criticism of leave and it's campaign I'm no fan of the EU. However a referendum was promised, it's taking place and because the PM doesn't support leave I don't think he deserves the opprobrium being heaped on him.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Surely that shoud be FACT
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,061
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Shrug. Hand wave it away if it suits you. You don't know, and I can't be bothered to dig out the figures. You sounds a little bitter, I promise I didn't write to Gove and propose the current Leave offering, in fact as with many here, I think he should have kept his big mouth shut.
    The traditional meaning of 'most' is more than 50%.

You came back with the case that Senegalese were sometimes (sometimes) the most common group.
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

well it is fun. Does Osborne attack his own number and therefore undermine his case or does he keep passing his opponents more ammunition ?
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

As nobody in their right mind desires an idiotic left wing government would it not be eminently sensible for some of the more voluble critics of Mr Cameron showed a little discipline. The frustrating thing to me is that without the naked ambition of Boris and the treachery of Duncan Smith there was a chance of a sensible debate rather than the unseemly melee that's unfolded.

For all my criticism of leave and it's campaign I'm no fan of the EU. However a referendum was promised, it's taking place and because the PM doesn't support leave I don't think he deserves the opprobrium being heaped on him.

Didnt realize RN was allowed 2 accounts!!!
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

well it is fun. Does Osborne attack his own number and therefore undermine his case or does he keep passing his opponents more ammunition ?
    Unfortunately for Leave, Gove has given Remain some ammo on that front

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/722345657160318976
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Given that there were no English on the Island of Britain at the time of St Patrick, this is a remarkably ignorant statement.

Almost moronic.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Completely O/T but I have just been on Amazon and pretty amazed at the lack of any discount for popular titles.

Seems like Amazon has gone the classic predatory pricing route - cut your prices to kill the bookstores and then discontinue the discounts when you have they are mainly out of business.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Is this backfiring on Cameron?

That Twitter account is generally quite a weathervane.
    I think Obama using the word "queue" was quite telling, as others have pointed out, it's as if No. 10 wrote the lines and Obama delivered them.

etc.

It is my experience that, apart serious differences in spellings, the only common British word that Americans never (never) use is "whilst", preferring the equivalent, and *much* older, "while". If Obama had used "whilst" I would have fallen off my chair and suspected demonic possession..
    "Posh" also mystifies them. How do you get by without a word like "posh"? Nonetheless they do. Etc.
    What do they substitute 'posh' with then? I'm genuinely uncertain. Snobbish, I guess?
    Posh allegedly derives from Port Out, Starboard Home, which posh people used to choose their cabins on transatlantic trips (to be in the sunshine).

If you are American, you travelled the other way so it would be Starboard Out, Port Home. They would be soph people.
    Most likely derived from the Romani term posh ‎(“half”), either because posh-kooroona "half a crown" (originally a substantial sum of money) was used metaphorically for anything pricey or upper-class, or because posh-houri "half-penny" became a general term for money.

A period slang dictionary defines "posh" as a term used by thieves for "money : generic, but specifically, a halfpenny or other small coin".[1] An example is given from Page's Eavesdropper (1888): "They used such funny terms: 'brads,' and 'dibbs,' and 'mopusses,' and 'posh' ... at last it was borne in upon me that they were talking about money."

Evidence exists for a slang sense from the 1890s meaning "dandy", which is quite possibly related.[2]

A popular folk etymology holds that the term is an acronym for "port out, starboard home"[3], describing the cooler, north-facing cabins taken by the most aristocratic or rich passengers travelling from Britain to India and back. However, there is no direct evidence for this claim.[4]

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/posh
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

Cameron seems determined to perform this Samson act.
    Yes, he will win his referendum.
    But at what price?

• Options

Given that there were no English on the Island of Britain at the time of St Patrick, this is a remarkably ignorant statement.

Almost moronic.
    Blame Alanbrooke, he raised it yesterday.
  • Options

Layne said:

Stronger In ‎@StrongerIn

LOL I think Scott P and RN are having an early night.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Had Cameron not chosen to hose £9 million of taxpayers cash printing leaflets for the Remain campaign, he might have had an easier ride.
This discussion has been closed.