Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson say pursuing reform in the EU isn’t a pipe-dr

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

He was a bloody foreigner who never stepped foot in England.

Bloody foreigners coming over here and taking over our patron saint.
    Still in Tory Racist mode, I see? :lol:
    Apparently I'm in Traitorous Pro EU mode for the next few months.
    Much longer than a few months I'm afraid.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289

I get the feeling that Obama's intervention is a big nail in Leave's coffin. Who have they got to counter that sort of heavy artillery? John Howard?

The comments on the back-up forum last night suggested quite a few people now know deep down what the result is going to be - hence the lashing out in an increasingly wild fashion.
  • Options

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

US President Barack Obama has told an audience of young British people to reject isolationism, pessimism and cynicism.

http://news.sky.com/story/1683935/obama-tells-uk-reject-pessimism-and-cynicism

Smearing anyone who wants freedom from the EU. Sorry Remainers, but this is insulting. You may like it, but it is still insulting to many British people.

Cameron has failed to make his arguments, so he's trying to use a well-respected US President to do the job for him. I find this level of interference extraordinary, so probably shows behind the scenes how desperate Cameron & Osborne are.

I don't suppose Obama noticed the levels of youth unemployment in the EU.

I almost felt sorry for him when the attention seeking transgender woman spoke up, then I remembered last night's speech.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I get the feeling that Obama's intervention is a big nail in Leave's coffin. Who have they got to counter that sort of heavy artillery? John Howard?

I'm floored by that verdict; I really am.
    Me too .... Frankie Howerd would be better for LEAVE than John Howard and titter ye not has been dead for near on 25 years !!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Obama thing hardens, but does not change opinion.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Remember all the silly scare stories at the time (CH4 ran a classic one that was total bollocks)

"Visa applications from international students to study at British universities are up by 17% since 2010, whilst visa applications to our elite Russell Group universities up by 39%," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36054748
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    Indigo said:

The mess that was Greece over the Euro showed me that the determination of the wagon circlers is quite extraordinary.

Nothing was going to deflect them from powering ahead, Merkel over migrants is another. The EU is an appalling mess. If you wouldn't vote to join now, why vote Remain?

Even at the depths of the Greek crisis, Greeks favoured both staying in the EU and staying in the Euro, they just did not want austerity. When forced to choose they opted for the EU.
    Country that would be a basketcase outside the EU wants to stay in the EU shock. Sooner or later the Germans will get tired of paying for their basketcasery.
    The countries in the EU that are most "EU"-sceptic are:

- ourselves
    - Italy
    - Austria
    - Poland
    - Finland
    - Sweden

In the middle there is:

- France
    - the Netherlands
    - Belgium

And the positively EU-theusiastic (usually 2-1, and often 3-1 in favour of "The EU has been good for my country"):

- Ireland
    - the Baltics
    - Germany
    - Greece
    - Spain
    - Portugal

• Options

FPT

I am happy that there is some regulation of animal husbandry to a minimal standard. I would be happier if those standards were far higher, but am quite able to apply those standards in my own life. I do this mostly by eating less meat, and am vegetarian most days (very affordable in the UK).

Obesity is very much a class issue, it would serve poor people as much as anyone else to eat less food and be more selective in what they eat.

So to clarify, you are happy that British farmers are forced to observe minimum standards, but you are also happy that inferior food products that fall *well* below that standard can be imported and compete without labelling.

Unless born of a simple malevolence toward British food production, how do you justify this position?
    It is an utterly idiotic statement by Foxinsox anyway given that UK animal husbandry standards were significantly higher than those on the continent. Animal crating, forced feeding, battery farming and the rules governing the transport of animals are all subject to far, far higher control and standards in the UK - or indeed outright banned - compared to the continent.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Hasn't Obama got a golf game to go to?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Again, you'd hope. It hasn’t worked so far, no reason it should. Maybe they could just cut their bloody spending, yet apparently that reform is impossible.

There is a demand for more money waiting in the wings for after the referendum, it was tabled earlier in the year to expand the EU budget by a significant amount, but inexplicably put in a drawer for a few months when the referendum came along.
    Luckily Cameron is good at resisting those demands. Remember the £1.7 billion that Osborne paid over last year. Ah. I see.
    Shhh don't tell Mr Nabavi, he still hasn't come to terms with us having paid the money over.
  • Options

The EU will struggle whilst some of its members have a currency union sans a political union.

They need to resolve quickly

You mean we have to join the Euro?
    No.
    So you mean we will have to leave. Those are the only two options based on your first statement.
    No. I was talking purely about the Eurozone countries. It is entirely possible to be a member of the EU without being a member of the Eurozone
    For the moment.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Vladimir Putin?
    So far Mr Putin has left the decision to the british public.

Is there something wrong with that ?
    Has he?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/from-rape-claim-to-brexit-putin-machine-tears-at-europe-s-seams

He is a chess rather than poker player though.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I think the Obama thing could play very badly for Remain. At my work this morning, people (even ones who said they liked Obama generally) were incensed at the idea of "America again coming over and treating us like their poodle, telling us what to do".

TBH, I think it will have bugger all effect. We'll benefit from people not liking being told what to do by foreigners. But Remain will benefit from those who were nervous. I reckon it'll be a wash.

By far the most damaging thing that has happened to Leave was the decision not to go the EEA route. I've gone from enthusiastic Leaver, to resigned one. It wouldn't take much to stop me bothering going to the polling station at all.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307

Chilling.

• Options

Hasn't Obama got a golf game to go to?

No .... but he hit a hole for REMAIN yesterday and LEAVE look like they've missed the cut.

Incoming ..... Four !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2016

The EU will struggle whilst some of its members have a currency union sans a political union.

No.
    So you mean we will have to leave. Those are the only two options based on your first statement.
    No. I was talking purely about the Eurozone countries. It is entirely possible to be a member of the EU without being a member of the Eurozone
    So you are talking about the EU being a political union but not a political union at the same time? Hmm. How is that going to work for you I wonder? How is the political union EU going to feel when the largest Financial centre in the whole political/non political union is outside the economic and political union?

Its a farcical idea.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Again, you'd hope. It hasn’t worked so far, no reason it should. Maybe they could just cut their bloody spending, yet apparently that reform is impossible.

There is a demand for more money waiting in the wings for after the referendum, it was tabled earlier in the year to expand the EU budget by a significant amount, but inexplicably put in a drawer for a few months when the referendum came along.
    Luckily Cameron is good at resisting those demands. Remember the £1.7 billion that Osborne paid over last year. Ah. I see.
    Shhh don't tell Mr Nabavi, he still hasn't come to terms with us having paid the money over.
    To think he was supposedly undecided at the time of his denial despite all the evidence which suggested otherwise...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

FPT

I am happy that there is some regulation of animal husbandry to a minimal standard. I would be happier if those standards were far higher, but am quite able to apply those standards in my own life. I do this mostly by eating less meat, and am vegetarian most days (very affordable in the UK).

Obesity is very much a class issue, it would serve poor people as much as anyone else to eat less food and be more selective in what they eat.

So to clarify, you are happy that British farmers are forced to observe minimum standards, but you are also happy that inferior food products that fall *well* below that standard can be imported and compete without labelling. Unless born of a simple malevolence for British food production, how do you justify this position?
    That is already the situation, with both Danish bacon and also Thai chicken for example.

I would like to see evidence that chlorinated chicken is harmful, if there is evidence then trade barriers are reasonable.
    I am aware of that. It's not a situation I am happy with. This clearly takes it to a new level. Your comments would imply both that you agree with the current arrangements, and want to make the situation significantly more extreme. I was seeking to clarify if that were true.

As a doctor, I'm quite alarmed at your apparent approach to health and nutrition. The body can assimilate and cope with any number of stresses and assaults. Then it stops coping. I suspect you are aware of this - a few posts ago you were talking about suicide by food. Now you're suggesting chlorinated chicken is fine (but you would of course walk straight past it on your way to the organic aisle).

You seemed very cross about the harm to patients from junior doctors not getting double bubble (or whatever) for weekends, but you demonstrate airy unconcern about vile unhealthy foods entering the national diet. Am I wasting my time looking for any coherence in your thoughts on this?

• Options

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/from-rape-claim-to-brexit-putin-machine-tears-at-europe-s-seams

And he's a far better player than Obama. Putin's been running rings around him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I think the Obama thing could play very badly for Remain. At my work this morning, people (even ones who said they liked Obama generally) were incensed at the idea of "America again coming over and treating us like their poodle, telling us what to do".

TBH, I think it will have bugger all effect. We'll benefit from people not liking being told what to do by foreigners. But Remain will benefit from those who were nervous. I reckon it'll be a wash.

By far the most damaging thing that has happened to Leave was the decision not to go the EEA route. I've gone from enthusiastic Leaver, to resigned one. It wouldn't take much to stop me bothering going to the polling station at all.
    Ask dad what to do .... :smiley:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Come over to the dark side. We have lebkuchen....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Jonathan said:

I concur – for those already committed, while the latest polling showed 57% will just ignore it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Not a person, but the fundamental truth that the EU is crap. Hopefully that will prove enough.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

It was Edward III - the king who wanted to become French - who made Saint George patron saint of England.

There's no shortage of home grown alternatives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Anglo-Saxon_saints
  • Options

With a Tory Racist tinge!
    Patriotism necessitates racism.

No it doesn't. I see you need an English language lesson.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Free trade Libertarians are a tiny minority, Leave had a choice of annoying a few thousand people like you, or several million WWC and Kipper voters. They didn't have a choice.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

I haven't seen him stand on a podium and threaten my country as my PM eggs him on.

But that's why I said "so far" there's still 2 months or so for Cameron to arrange it.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

No.
    For the moment.
    The Western non-Eurozone EU countries are us, Denmark and Sweden.

They all have one thing in common: they are big net contributors.

Attempting to force any of them to use the Euro (by making the treaties say something they explicitly don't) would result in those countries leaving the EU.

I'm trying to imagine a world where the EU went down a path that would remove three of the six largest contributors to the EU budget. And failing.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Jonathan said:

Not for the people at my work, vast majority of them in the conversation were undecided - they said that Obama was the first thing that had really made them pay attention to the whole EU issue at all.

To be fair they didn't actually say that Obama was enough on its own to push them over to Leave, most were saying they still didn't know anywhere near enough to make up their minds. But the anger at the temerity of "America" returning to type, by trying to give the Brits orders, was intense.
  • Options

There's still time for you to have your Luke 15:7 moment.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Me too .... Frankie Howerd would be better for LEAVE than John Howard and titter ye not has been dead for near on 25 years !!
    Ha? Ha?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Free trade Libertarians are a tiny minority, Leave had a choice of annoying a few thousand people like you, or several million WWC and Kipper voters. They didn't have a choice.

Yes they did,

There are plenty of ways to restrict immigration in an EEA world. Best of all, they'd be free market ones, and therefore massively less economically damaging than a bureaucratic system.
  • Options

Two calendar months to go to save the UK's independence and freedom!

Err, to make no change to our independence and freedom....
    To get back our independence and freedom.
  • Options

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

I haven't seen him stand on a podium and threaten my country as my PM eggs him on.

But that's why I said "so far" there's still 2 months or so for Cameron to arrange it.
    He prefers to make donations to anti-fracking groups in Europe. That's Putin's preferred form of influence.
  • Options
    timetrompettetimetrompette Posts: 111
    edited April 2016

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

And the prospect of the NHS being broken up when TTIP goes through, and the market is opened up to US healthcare businesses. Yay!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm trying to imagine a world where the EU went down a path that would remove three of the six largest contributors to the EU budget. And failing.

The EU always plays the long game. It will be a war of attrition and salami tactics. They wont be stupid enough to force people to try and join the Euro, there will just be a succession of very minor looking changes that will slowly move various groups in society behind joining the Euro, until at some point it will seem like the natural thing to do to the opinion formers in society.. then as usual the rest of society will get shafted.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Organic one assumes.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

The EU always plays the long game. It will be a war of attrition and salami tactics. They wont be stupid enough to force people to try and join the Euro, there will just be a succession of very minor looking changes that will slowly move various groups in society behind joining the Euro, until at some point it will seem like the natural thing to do to the opinion formers in society.. then as usual the rest of society will get shafted.
    Dude.

You are the sole factor pushing me towards Remain.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited April 2016
    Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Some people may say that and strong Out supporters will work themselves up into a frenzy.

But what actually matters is the impact on people who are undecided.

Plus the sub-conscious impact - it increases the sense of risk - ie that Out = Risky. Which will be key when it comes to the crunch.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Remember all the silly scare stories at the time (CH4 ran a classic one that was total bollocks)

"Visa applications from international students to study at British universities are up by 17% since 2010, whilst visa applications to our elite Russell Group universities up by 39%," he said.

The top universities in the UK are some of the best in the World, and attract the most able students from around the globe. They also set their fees accordingly for international students, and all now market aggressively in Asia and the Middle East.

The bottom half of universities in the UK are some of the most average around, and it's outrageous that they can charge so much in fees for such a substandard product, even to local students.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

And the prospect of the NHS being broken up when TTIP goes through, and the market is opened up to US healthcare businesses. Yay!
    You don't understand ISDS and TTIP.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

He prefers to make donations to anti-fracking groups in Europe. That's Putin's preferred form of influence.
    It's a bit like us materially supporting insurrectionist groups in the Middle East - just without all the beheadings and stuff.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    It's a nasty reminder of Blair Poodle - and that's a conclusion many Tories are expressing now with Cameron. It's not a good look.
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Not for the people at my work, vast majority of them in the conversation were undecided - they said that Obama was the first thing that had really made them pay attention to the whole EU issue at all.

To be fair they didn't actually say that Obama was enough on its own to push them over to Leave, most were saying they still didn't know anywhere near enough to make up their minds. But the anger at the temerity of "America" returning to type, by trying to give the Brits orders, was intense.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

The mess that was Greece over the Euro showed me that the determination of the wagon circlers is quite extraordinary.

Nothing was going to deflect them from powering ahead, Merkel over migrants is another. The EU is an appalling mess. If you wouldn't vote to join now, why vote Remain?

Even at the depths of the Greek crisis, Greeks favoured both staying in the EU and staying in the Euro, they just did not want austerity. When forced to choose they opted for the EU.
    Country that would be a basketcase outside the EU wants to stay in the EU shock. Sooner or later the Germans will get tired of paying for their basketcasery.

- ourselves
    - Italy
    - Austria
    - Poland
    - Finland
    - Sweden

In the middle there is:

- France
    - the Netherlands
    - Belgium

And the positively EU-theusiastic (usually 2-1, and often 3-1 in favour of "The EU has been good for my country"):

- Ireland
    - the Baltics
    - Germany
    - Greece
    - Spain
    - Portugal

A close similarity to which countries financially benefit.

There are exceptions - the Baltics want protection from Russia and Germany wants the EU as a conduit for its influence.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I keep hearing about this but at the moment no one seems to have presented me with any evidence of it at all. I was of the understanding that the TTIP negotiations are not even finished yet and that TTIP is a very different thing to the TTP deal that was struck in the Pacific. So exactly what is this claim being based on?

I would love to be able to use the example of TTIP as a means of persuading left wing voters to support Brexit but I am not going to tell people it is a threat if it turns out to be just another scare story.
  • Options

FPT

So to clarify, you are happy that British farmers are forced to observe minimum standards, but you are also happy that inferior food products that fall *well* below that standard can be imported and compete without labelling. Unless born of a simple malevolence for British food production, how do you justify this position?
    That is already the situation, with both Danish bacon and also Thai chicken for example.

I would like to see evidence that chlorinated chicken is harmful, if there is evidence then trade barriers are reasonable.
    I am aware of that. It's not a situation I am happy with. This clearly takes it to a new level. Your comments would imply both that you agree with the current arrangements, and want to make the situation significantly more extreme. I was seeking to clarify if that were true.

As a doctor, I'm quite alarmed at your apparent approach to health and nutrition. The body can assimilate and cope with any number of stresses and assaults. Then it stops coping. I suspect you are aware of this - a few posts ago you were talking about suicide by food. Now you're suggesting chlorinated chicken is fine (but you would of course walk straight past it on your way to the organic aisle).

You seemed very cross about the harm to patients from junior doctors not getting double bubble (or whatever) for weekends, but you demonstrate airy unconcern about vile unhealthy foods entering the national diet. Am I wasting my time looking for any coherence in your thoughts on this?

There is a balance to be had between ethical food and cheap food. I am happy for our government to decide on this, and to follow my own conscience for my own behaviour.

The junior strike is about many issues in the contract, not just pay. My objection to it is mostly that it worsens rather than improves retention, and also that Hunts dictatorial style of "take it or leave it" management bodes ill for many other issues that need resolving in the NHS. The biggest threats to patient safety in the NHS are poorly trained staff, rota vacancies, and staff spread too thinly. Hunts contract tackles neither issue.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

This does not surprise me at all. Obama is perfectly entitled to express his opinion as a soon to be private US citizen. His way of doing it was alienating and way out of order imo,
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Quite a contrast between how RN proclaimed a triumph when Cameron postured about 'halving the bill' to his total silence after the full extra money was paid over.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I keep hearing about this but at the moment no one seems to have presented me with any evidence of it at all. I was of the understanding that the TTIP negotiations are not even finished yet and that TTIP is a very different thing to the TTP deal that was struck in the Pacific. So exactly what is this claim being based on?

I would love to be able to use the example of TTIP as a means of persuading left wing voters to support Brexit but I am not going to tell people it is a threat if it turns out to be just another scare story.
    I thought your preferred approach towards "left wing voters" was one of extermination...

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

that's simply investment banking
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

What kind of normal people take high dudgeon at that sort of thing? You must have some highly strung colleagues.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

- ourselves
    - Italy
    - Austria
    - Poland
    - Finland
    - Sweden

In the middle there is:

- France
    - the Netherlands
    - Belgium

- Ireland
    - the Baltics
    - Germany
    - Greece
    - Spain
    - Portugal

There are exceptions - the Baltics want protection from Russia and Germany wants the EU as a conduit for its influence.
    With the exception of Poland - which is a huge benificiary of subsidies - I think that's true. Ireland, Spain and the Baltics have gone from poor countries to rich countries in two decades as members of the EU.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Sandpit said:

The top universities in the UK are some of the best in the World, and attract the most able students from around the globe. They also set their fees accordingly for international students, and all now market aggressively in Asia and the Middle East.

The bottom half of universities in the UK are some of the most average around, and it's outrageous that they can charge so much in fees for such a substandard product, even to local students.
    Agreed....the point was that there was massive wailing in 2010 when the government implemented minor reforms to stop anybody basically coming to do a dodgy "language" course at some dodgy college and then disappearing.

There were claims that this would stop world leading researchers from applying / getting visas (obviously bollocks, as nowhere in the western world stops those with PhD + PostDoc experience with a job offer from getting a visa) and also foreign students willing to pay big fees to go to a top UK uni would go elsewhere.
  • Options

JackW said:

Ha? Ha?
    Don't mock the afflicted ..... Ooh - 'ere - NO ... Yes Missus

The prologue .. It came to pass that Luckyguy1983 said :

Nay, Nay and thrice nay .... LEAVE !! .... :smile:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Explain away then. We won't have improved healthcare from allowing access to US businesses? That's actually disappointing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

- ourselves
    - Italy
    - Austria
    - Poland
    - Finland
    - Sweden

In the middle there is:

- France
    - the Netherlands
    - Belgium

- Ireland
    - the Baltics
    - Germany
    - Greece
    - Spain
    - Portugal

I think the Euro has benefitted Germany most of all.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Who's made that decision for Leave though? Who has the authority to make it? I'm not being sarcastic here. Leave's strength was that it doesn't have leaders and doesn't have a position. Has one section with an agenda assumed control?

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I posted a very long explanation of TTIP/ISDS and the NHS on a previous thread, and the scaremongering is ridiculous.

Neither the TTIP (or indeed the TPP) would force the privatisation (or anything like it) of the NHS.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I thought your preferred approach towards "left wing voters" was one of extermination...

Well that was an interesting contribution. Not sure where it came from or what it is based on but it seems to bear as much relationship to reality as the rest of your contributions.

Keep taking the pills.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

Putin donates to DECC ?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

rcs1000 said:

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

Putin donates to DECC ?
    My tea just spilled out my mouth :lol: :
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

Putin donates to DECC ?
    lol
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

A threat by its nature is unproven. Equally unproven are people saying that TTIP will be great, and that its opponents 'don't understand it'. No, we don't, and nor do others who've never read it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I posted a very long explanation of TTIP/ISDS and the NHS on a previous thread, and the scaremongering is ridiculous.

Neither the TTIP (or indeed the TPP) would force the privatisation (or anything like it) of the NHS.
    I kind of figured that was the case. Missed most of the previous thread as I didn't get the hang of the non-PB.com thing.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Ask dad what to do .... :smiley:
    I wonder what "dad" said when Robert told him he'd pulled the plug?

#FlyOnTheWall
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Any trade deal with the USA would encompass TTIP, wherever we are in the queue, as it is mostly the UK that is pushing it at EU level. As such it is not a factor in my decision in the referendum.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Who's made that decision for Leave though? Who has the authority to make it? I'm not being sarcastic here. Leave's strength was that it doesn't have leaders and doesn't have a position. Has one section with an agenda assumed control?

Gove made a speech:

- no EEA
    - no contributions to the EU budget
    - no supremacy of EU law

While I'm obviously in favour of the last of these, and would like the second (although think it optimistic), the first is definitely something I'm very unhappy with.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Every single "ooh", "ah", gasp and pause in a Frankie Howerd sketch was scripted. Leave would benefit from a similarly taut script.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

- ourselves
    - Italy
    - Austria
    - Poland
    - Finland
    - Sweden

In the middle there is:

- France
    - the Netherlands
    - Belgium

- Ireland
    - the Baltics
    - Germany
    - Greece
    - Spain
    - Portugal

I think the Euro has benefitted Germany most of all.
    Its certainly benefitted German business for exchange rates reasons.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I think that decision was made by those running Vote Leave once they had been assigned the official status. Like Robert it is not a decision I am happy with but I just have to live with it given that the worst possible outcome from my perspective is staying in the EU.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    There's a lot of talk about the right being incensed by Obama, but I think that misses the point.

It is Dave who has incensed the right. They don;t give a toss about Obama.
  • Options
    taffys said:

There's a lot of talk about the right being incensed by Obama, but I think that misses the point.

spot on
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Explain away then. We won't have improved healthcare from allowing access to US businesses? That's actually disappointing.
    American companies can offer health care services in the UK today. They would still be able to after TTIP.

How do you think TTIP would affect the NHS?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    I am coming to the conclusion I live in a very atypical bubble. I rarely if ever hear anyone at my work talking about the referendum, it's never a conversation subject around the family dinner table and I have yet to come across any real life campaigners.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

It's a nasty reminder of Blair Poodle - and that's a conclusion many Tories are expressing now with Cameron. It's not a good look.

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Good point. Among us politically engaged types it appears that Obama's intervention has hardened rather than changed opinions, but as @Danny565 notes it would be interesting to see the reaction of those who are less engaged than we are here. Some polling next week will be very useful.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

A threat by its nature is unproven. Equally unproven are people saying that TTIP will be great, and that its opponents 'don't understand it'. No, we don't, and nor do others who've never read it.
    But my point is that the threat has to be based on something. One could just as easily say that TTIP will lead to the extinction of all hedgehogs. No one has yet been able to explain exactly what part of TTIP means that the NHS would be exposed to enforced privitisation?
  • Options
    As an aside, TTIP (and TPP) are far less onerous than NAFTA in terms of their compliance requirements.

And somehow Canada manages to maintain "socialised medicine".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

American companies can offer health care services in the UK today. They would still be able to after TTIP.

How do you think TTIP would affect the NHS?

Isn't it more about procurement,?who can and can't bid for contracts, and under what terms? Not that I know much about it, to be fair.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Dude. You are the sole factor pushing me towards Remain.
    Cool, then we have nothing to worry about, my small little voice is easily trumped by the big hitters, and the cut and pasters around here :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Dude.

You obviously missed Farage on Any Questions today. Or Maybe Indigo IS Farage!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I am coming to the conclusion I live in a very atypical bubble. I rarely if ever hear anyone at my work talking about the referendum, it's never a conversation subject around the family dinner table and I have yet to come across any real life campaigners.

Today was the first time it had really come up at work for me. As I said, most people in the conversation were saying Obama was the first thing that had grabbed their attention about it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I have visitors in the armed forces staying this weekend. Apparently there was an incident at an evening event on Thursday, following which two corporals came to blows, finishing up in the cells overnight. The cause? Disagreeing about the referendum.

In a sense it's good to know we have such a highbrow military.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Well that was an interesting contribution. Not sure where it came from or what it is based on but it seems to bear as much relationship to reality as the rest of your contributions.

Keep taking the pills.
    That is some way short of a denial.

Are you saying that no one who writes here wants to see lefties dead, or merely that I have mistaken you for one of their number?

It's more prudent to mistake a crow for a Black Rider than vice versa, isn't it?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Vladimir Putin?

Has he?

Putin donates to DECC ?
    My tea just spilled out my mouth :lol: :
    There is ZERO chance of fracking ever succeeding in Britain until local people gain direct financial benefits from it.

A promise to pay taxes to the government of even the local council isn't going to compensate for the disruption and risk that fracking brings to the local people.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Has anyone read it ? I thought the provisions were being kept secret at the moment (never a good sign) and all we had were a few leaks and some warm words as we wait for the official unveiling.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Gove made a speech:

- no EEA
    - no contributions to the EU budget
    - no supremacy of EU law

While I'm obviously in favour of the last of these, and would like the second (although think it optimistic), the first is definitely something I'm very unhappy with.
    Fair enough. Weird that Gove should be deciding policy though. His group is supposed to be making the case for an option in a referendum - not running for office.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Of course they did because the EU to them is security and staying afloat as a western developed nation rather than an impoverished, bankrupt, third world backwater.

To those which are already independently successful, western, developed nations the cost/benefit analysis is completely different.
  • Options

There is a balance to be had between ethical food and cheap food. I am happy for our government to decide on this, and to follow my own conscience for my own behaviour.

The junior strike is about many issues in the contract, not just pay. My objection to it is mostly that it worsens rather than improves retention, and also that Hunts dictatorial style of "take it or leave it" management bodes ill for many other issues that need resolving in the NHS. The biggest threats to patient safety in the NHS are poorly trained staff, rota vacancies, and staff spread too thinly. Hunts contract tackles neither issue.

The irony of someone who is paid a generous guaranteed income by a state monopoly arguing that farmers can f*ck off and keep being forced to provide decent food, competing with floods of cheap crap, bleached, hormone treated imports currently banned by the sainted EU, is a brain-teaser and a half. 'Let them eat chlorine'.
  • Options

Isn't it more about procurement,?who can and can't bid for contracts, and under what terms? Not that I know much about it, to be fair.

To paraphrase what I said a few days ago, if the UK government were to introduce a rule that said that "all pills to treat depression must be made in Yorkshire", as a way of preventing competition for a local pharmaceutical company, then - yes - Pfizer might be able to being a case under ISDS rules.

But even this looks to have been eliminated from the TTIP. Specifically - to take it from the NHS Confederation website (that notoriously right wing site) that the draft specifically excludes "the provision of all health services which receive public funding or state support in any form".

So, it's worse than a straw man, it's deliberate lying.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I think that decision was made by those running Vote Leave once they had been assigned the official status. Like Robert it is not a decision I am happy with but I just have to live with it given that the worst possible outcome from my perspective is staying in the EU.
    I can't see how they could have made a different decision (except by trying to fudge it forever) if they had said EEA, 3 million kipper voters would have concluded (or been led to conclude) that it was no real difference to being in the EU, and no difference at all on immigration, and would have stayed on their sofas.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Has anyone read it ? I thought the provisions were being kept secret at the moment (never a good sign) and all we had were a few leaks and some warm words as we wait for the official unveiling.
    You can read the drafts, they're all online, See: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2015/july/tradoc_153669.pdf
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Sandpit said:

Agreed....the point was that there was massive wailing in 2010 when the government implemented minor reforms to stop anybody basically coming to do a dodgy "language" course at some dodgy college and then disappearing.

There were claims that this would stop world leading researchers from applying / getting visas (obviously bollocks, as nowhere in the western world stops those with PhD + PostDoc experience with a job offer from getting a visa) and also foreign students willing to pay big fees to go to a top UK uni would go elsewhere.
    I do know someone with a PhD and postdoc who managed to bungle getting a visa to the UK. It was spectacular. Bright lad, utterly clueless at filling in forms.
  • Options

I have visitors in the armed forces staying this weekend. Apparently there was an incident at an evening event on Thursday, following which two corporals came to blows, finishing up in the cells overnight. The cause? Disagreeing about the referendum.

In a sense it's good to know we have such a highbrow military.

Don't be too rude about them. These people ensure you stay nice and cosy in Islington, whilst getting their hands dirty on our behalf elsewhere in the world.
  • Options
    Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Dude.

You obviously missed Farage on Any Questions today. Or Maybe Indigo IS Farage!
    Well, I have a foreign wife, but I hope rather better taste in ties, aside from that I am not a kipper, which is a small, but I hope not insurmountable problem with your theory :D
  • Options

I was at a party last night and for the three minutes the referendum was mentioned it was about bad Boris looked. The most interesting comment was from a girl who arrived late to the conversation and all she added was "Urgh. Who'd want to F*** that"
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Today was the first time it had really come up at work for me. As I said, most people in the conversation were saying Obama was the first thing that had grabbed their attention about it.

Yeah, I can see that. I was in the office yesterday, but the press conference was towards the end of the day. I suspect that for the less engaged it's going to be part of the waking up process. Obama cuts through. A lot of people might hate the home truths Obama delivered, but I also suspect that in their hearts many of them will also accept that what he said makes sense.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    taffys said:

And how did he incense them?

By not meekly following the Farage script, like Boris.
This discussion has been closed.