Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Read all about it. The news sources that matter nowadays

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

***** BETTING POST ******

England's odds of 5/1 vs Germany tomorrow night just look too big. Both sides are probable semi finalists in the forthcoming Euro 2016 tournament and I give our lads a good chance of at least gaining a draw.
    Don't bet the farm on them winning but a pint's worth looks worthwhile.
    DYOR.

If Roy takes a decent squad we could be in with a slight chance.
    Leave Rooney and the other old timers at home and give some of our youngsters a go.
    Rooney has a nagging persistent injury and is starting to look somewhat doubtful for the summer tournament - for me he's well past his best but Roy will pick him regardless if there's any chance he'll be fit enough to play.
    TalkSport are "breaking" the team at 22:30. No Vardy or Drinkwater apparently.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    20:18 GMT
    German police are trying to find out whether a Moroccan asylum seeker, who is said to have been in possession of non-matching identification documents on returning from Brussels, was involved in the bombings.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Alistair said:
    I am inclined to agree strongly with this.

Let real-world newspapers do their job and don't base your beliefs only on the National Enquirer and Twitter.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

"How about we ‘defend European values’ by not arresting people who say stupid things?
    — Brendan O'Neill"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/03/how-about-we-defend-european-values-by-not-arresting-people-who-say-stupid-things/

I'm sorry this is a Ted Cruz sex life thread now.
    Though on topic it does demonstrate that on social media the news breaks, as indeed Brussels too. It will be old hat by the time the dead tree press catches up.
    Isn't the National Enquirer part of the dead tree press, though?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    HYUFD said:

I suppose the only possible thought from this side of this side of the pond is

B****y H**l USA; is this lot the best you can do as potential Presidents. (Bernie apart, and he's a bit long in the tooth.)

According to the National Enquirer Hillary gets through a few too.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/exclusive-hillary-clinton-lesbian-lovers-named-secret-emails/

More bromide in the tea please!
    Nothing against Trump or Sanders then?
    The thrice married Trump is hardly a monk either and plenty of rumours of mistresses. Kasich and Sanders are probably the only two left without skeletons in their personal lives although both on their second wife
    Trump hasn't been been campaigning on his Christian virtues though, have he?
  • Options

England's odds of 5/1 vs Germany tomorrow night just look too big. Both sides are probable semi finalists in the forthcoming Euro 2016 tournament and I give our lads a good chance of at least gaining a draw.
    DYOR.

Leave Rooney and the other old timers at home and give some of our youngsters a go.
    Rooney has a nagging persistent injury and is starting to look somewhat doubtful for the summer tournament - for me he's well past his best but Roy will pick him regardless if there's any chance he'll be fit enough to play.
    It will be like 2002 all over again.
    We go out in a complete damp squib and then they reveal that Beckham was only 70% fit or whatever.
    The last time I saw an England side with any fight in them was against the Argies in France 98.
    With the exception of the 5-1 in Munich in 2001 they've been either pathetic or embarrassing since then.
    At least tomorrow we get the chance to sing 10 German Bombers again.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    I have just uploaded my piece for tomorrow. If there are any cabinet ministers reading, it would be appreciated if you could hold off resigning until it's TSE's turn.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2016
    edit
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Maples and Donald Trump have one child together, Tiffany Ariana Trump, who was born on October 13, 1993.

In December, 1993 the couple married, but they separated in May 1997 and divorced in 1999.

Source: Wikipedia
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

If we could get Aaron Sorkin to write it.
    Awesome.

Let me write it for you

..do a big thing badly..
    ..and I'm - incredibly - not..
    ..this fraction of a man..
    ..we reach for the stars..
    ..gather ye rosebuds while ye may..
    ..for reasons passing understanding..
    ..I will rededicate the rest of my life to ruining the rest of yours..
    ..six to five and pick-em..
    ..were you distracted by a bumblebee..
    ..wouldn't complain if her hair was on fire..
    ..just breathe regular..
    ..and I'm never sick at sea..
    ..smart people who disagree with him..
    ..there it is..
    ..I'm standing here telling you..
    ..mohamed-al-mohamed-al-mohamed-bin-bazir..
    ..welcome to the NFL..
    ..the only thing you ever had to do to make me and your mother happy is come home at the end of the day..
    ..as if it matters how a man falls down: when the fall is all that's left, it matters a great deal..
    ..you haven't seen Shakespeare the way it's meant to be done..
    ..I don't always know the right thing to do Lord, but I think the fact that I want to please you, pleases you..
    ..what is the virtue of a proportional response..
    ..don't talk to me like I'm other people..
    ..my man has come back to me..
    ..the street of heaven are too crowded with angels..
    ..her legs go all the way down to the floor..
    ..I'm like Tippi Hedren around here..
    ..I hate your breathing guts..
    ..more and more we've come to expect less and less of each other..

There y'go.That'll be $100,000 per episode and all the cocaine, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqqel8-Beog
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jeuV3xXxUc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

I have just uploaded my piece for tomorrow. If there are any cabinet ministers reading, it would be appreciated if you could hold off resigning until it's TSE's turn.

Fair play David, in the last 6 years we've only had two Tory cabinet ministers resign, and only one out of the blue on a point of principle.

By this stage, Blair had had half a dozen walk out, usually as part of some botched reshuffle or scandal but also one and a half over Iraq.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

HYUFD said:

B****y H**l USA; is this lot the best you can do as potential Presidents. (Bernie apart, and he's a bit long in the tooth.)

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/exclusive-hillary-clinton-lesbian-lovers-named-secret-emails/

The thrice married Trump is hardly a monk either and plenty of rumours of mistresses. Kasich and Sanders are probably the only two left without skeletons in their personal lives although both on their second wife
    Trump hasn't been been campaigning on his Christian virtues though, have he?
    True but if he is behind this story he better be careful his closet key is locked
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

DYOR.

We go out in a complete damp squib and then they reveal that Beckham was only 70% fit or whatever.
    The last time I saw an England side with any fight in them was against the Argies in France 98.
    With the exception of the 5-1 in Munich in 2001 they've been either pathetic or embarrassing since then.
    England were magnificent in the 2004 Euros! And I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool Welshman.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    HYUFD said:

In my innocence of these matters, I thought "mistresses" referred to medium term partners, not one night stands. (If stand is QUITE the right term!)
    Wife refers to long term partners, formally recognised.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

DYOR.

England were magnificent in the 2004 Euros! And I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool Welshman.
    Yeah, we were terrific. Capitulating to France etc and then going out to Portugal.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376

Please please let this story be running until Sunday.

I'll have so much fun with it on Sunday.

So much potential for innuendo.

We can vote on which was the best mistress using dare I say it, AV?
    Maybe.

Headline will be 'Will Cruz pull out?'

Like his mistresses we should have seen this coming (ahem). I mean how many times have we seen a family values Christian unable to keep his Cruz missile inside the silo?
    The more religious, the greater the deviancy it would seem.
    But I'm not very religious
    There are exceptions in every case.
    With you it must be something to do with the shoes.
    What worries me the most is a lot of these Jihadists weren't really devout then became devout because of incident(s) in their lives.

Fortunately for you lot I'll only declare Jihad on those who don't realise that AV is the greatest voting system known to man.
    What happens if the government pass a bill to ban the wearing of brightly coloured shoes in public?
    I'll wear Union Jack shoes and see where that leads.

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

:sunglasses:

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    viewcode said:

Awesome.

Let me write it for you

..do a big thing badly..
    ..just breathe regular..
    ..there it is..
    ..welcome to the NFL..
    ..the only thing you ever had to do to make me and your mother happy is come home at the end of the day..
    ..as if it matters how a man falls down: when the fall is all that's left, it matters a great deal..
    ..I don't always know the right thing to do Lord, but I think the fact that I want to please you, pleases you..

That is pretty hilarious. I get having some choice phrases or tics that repeat*, but that seems a little too cut and pasty and a little lazy.

* There's an author I really enjoy, but particularly with audio versions their overuse of expressions like 'heart skipped a beat' 'heart quickened' and 'heart sank' started making me worried all the characters had undiagnosed cardiac conditions.
  • Options
    Apologies if posted already.

Britain’s relationship with Europe has always been provisional and contractual; almost no British politician talks about the values of the “European project.” British enthusiasm for the EU is almost entirely restricted to the as-yet-unfinished creation of a common market. Resentment of European regulation and European law runs deep, threatening to trample on what eurosceptics like to consider ancient British liberties.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2016/03/brussels_brexit_and_the_future_of_the_european_union.html?utm_campaign=Contact+SNS+For+More+Referrer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=snsanalytics
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

DYOR.

England have been an embarrassment for years. After 2010 I promised myself I wouldn't watch them again until they got back to a final. This year will be the same old story - will they.. can they... ooh.. er.. and.. it's the same old hapless shit as usual. Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2016

I hear Osborne has handed in his resignation letter.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Are you by any chance David Cameron?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

DYOR.

England have been an embarrassment for years. After 2010 I promised myself I wouldn't watch them again until they got back to a final. This year will be the same old story - will they.. can they... ooh.. er.. and.. it's the same old hapless shit as usual. Quelle surprise.
    It's weird. As a Spurs supporter I am so used to knowing that they can play if they want to but knowing that I will be ending up disappointed in the end. I am endeavouring to not getting excited about either side but hope to be proven massively wrong.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    21:10 GMT
    Salah Abdeslam, a key suspect in the Paris attacks, has “invoked his right to silence,” not uttering a word to investigators since the day after his arrest, Belgium’s federal prosecutor said. When the investigators met with Abdeslam on Tuesday, the same day the attacks took place, he “refused to make the slightest declaration,” AFP reported.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Some serious St Francis of Assisi shit goin' on..

https://twitter.com/politico/status/713474676765417477
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Alistair said:

I doubt it Alistair. I hear his dictionary goes straight from 'residue' to 'resilient'.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Daily Mail are reporting on the Cruz story.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

USA kills ISIS second in command for the 3rd time.

While Russia and Iran are busy liberating whole cities from ISIS in Syria, the US is sticking with the “one raid at a time” approach and it apparently paid dividends on Thursday morning when Abu Alaa Afri, also known as Abd al-Rahman Mustafa al-Qaduli and Haji Imam was killed in Syria...

...Al-Qaduli is no stranger to being dead.

He died last April for instance, in a strike on a mosque in Iraq. “Al-Qaduli was one of several people killed in a strike that hit a mosque where Islamic State leaders were meeting,” WSJ reported at the time. He was also killed in September of 2014.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-25/us-kills-isis-second-command-3rd-time-2-years-press-conference-live-feed

"while Russia and Iran are busy liberating cities from ISIS....." Russia is actually carpet bombing cities and destroying them. Their modus operandum is the war against the Chechens - destroy everything with a view to rebuilding later, excepting the corpses.

• Options

HYUFD said:

In my innocence of these matters, I thought "mistresses" referred to medium term partners, not one night stands. (If stand is QUITE the right term!)
    Wife refers to long term partners, formally recognised.
    I would not be surprised if Trump has had all three
  • Options

Wanderer said:

DYOR.

It's weird. As a Spurs supporter I am so used to knowing that they can play if they want to but knowing that I will be ending up disappointed in the end. I am endeavouring to not getting excited about either side but hope to be proven massively wrong.
    Of course I also hope to be proved wrong about England but I feel that the piss has been taken too often.

Good luck with the league :)
  • Options
    Piers Morgan interviews TheDonald now on ITV....

I think I would prefer to watch a 24hr marathon of QT's.
  • Options
    A 32-year-old man has been arrested after a Glasgow shopkeeper was killed in what police are treating as a "religiously prejudiced" attack.

Police said both Mr Shah and the arrested man were Muslims.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35898543
  • Options
    Twenty-seven Russian sportspeople have tested positive for meldonium this year, according to the Russian sports minister.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/35860851

It appears you can't be an elite sports person in Russia unless you have a dodgy ticker.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    RodCrosby said:

Salah Abdeslam, a key suspect in the Paris attacks, has “invoked his right to silence,” not uttering a word to investigators since the day after his arrest, Belgium’s federal prosecutor said. When the investigators met with Abdeslam on Tuesday, the same day the attacks took place, he “refused to make the slightest declaration,” AFP reported.

Seriously ? I'm with the Donald on this one, let's start waterboarding, pulling out fingers nails and smearing him in pig fat.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

RodCrosby said:

Seriously ? I'm with the Donald on this one, let's start waterboarding, pulling out fingers nails and smearing him in pig fat.
    Didn't somebody say that he was co-operating after his arrest? How's that compatible with not uttering a word ...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

If you torture him why not torture every murder suspect?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047

RodCrosby said:

Didn't somebody say that he was co-operating after his arrest? How's that compatible with not uttering a word ...
    It's entirely possible he's sung like a bird, and they are trying to make sure people stay on the places they were in.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

That may have been used as a tactic to flush out associates.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

RodCrosby said:

No, but we are are poncing about. They killed 31 of us, we should seek to slaughter them one hundred fold. They have training camps in Libya and Sinai and Yemen, send in the B52s. We need to show them we are bigger bastards than they are - hit back with iron and fire.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047

RodCrosby said:

No, but we are are poncing about. They killed 31 of us, we should seek to slaughter them one hundred fold. They have training camps in Libya and Sinai and Yemen, send in the B52s. We need to show them we are bigger bastards than they are - hit back with iron and fire.
    Hmmmm... Retaliation against people unfortunate enough to share some common features with the criminals. Nice. Now where have I heard that story before?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RodCrosby said:

Hmmmm... Retaliation against people unfortunate enough to share some common features with the criminals. Nice. Now where have I heard that story before?
    No, I am talking about seeking out IS military targets abroad and destroying them. eg training camps in Libya.

I think carpet bombing Raqqa is reasonable, to be honest, but should be left as a last resort.

Much as I despise Putin and his agenda, you have to admit that the Russians know how to fight a war and how to lie about it. Whatever happened to Perfidious Albion?

IS is our enemy, delenda est.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Raqqa is the modern day Berlin circa 1940.

Burn it to the ground.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    edited March 2016
    Betting post. The rules on the 2016 Boat Race record time market state

Event Start Time
    27 March 2016, 15:10
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

For further information please see Rules & Regs.

Will the winner of the 2015 Boat Race beat the existing record time of 16 minutes 19 seconds?

This market will be turned in-play at the start of the race with unmatched bets cancelled. All bets will be void if the race is not completed.

They didn't so you can't lose :)

But to be serious, with Sunday's forecast there's no way there'll be a record time and £3,137 available at 1.02 and 1.01. I've cleared out all the 1.03.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889
    asjohnstone

"We are not here to ask questions. We are here for our own amusement."
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

So "we" will show "we" are better than the terrorists by killing thousands more innocent people than them?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

So "we" will show "we" are better than the terrorists by killing thousands more innocent people than them?
    We're not trying to show we're better than them, we're trying to win the war. If we show IS's subjects that IS can't defend them, they may rise up against them, or else start looking for alternatives. Delenda est res publica islamica.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

We're not trying to show we're better than them, we're trying to win the war. If we show IS's subjects that IS can't defend them, they may rise up against them, or else start looking for alternatives. Delenda est res publica islamica.
    Given that IS's recruiting strategy is to preach that there is war between Islam and the West I'm not sure that your result logically follows from the methods
  • Options

A 32-year-old man has been arrested after a Glasgow shopkeeper was killed in what police are treating as a "religiously prejudiced" attack.

How can it be religiously prejudiced then? Unless they were from different Islamic traditions I suppose.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ignore the Islamist component in Libya at your peril. That country has been churning out dangerous people for decades who are very prominent Jihadis for hire and is a very important link in the current IS European campaign.

People trained by a key IS sub group HQ'd in Libya are in the EU, now. I'd be as worried by those 25 or so a much as the rest of the reported 400.

Its our good fortune that tight firearms control in the UK has been a limiting factor when it comes to the preferred mode of operation of IS centrally organised and directed squads in Europe. You can assume they will overcome that issue if they haven't already but the illegal small arms trade is something the UK are fairly good at keeping an eye on and its a very valuable source of intelligence.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

Given that IS's recruiting strategy is to preach that there is war between Islam and the West I'm not sure that your result logically follows from the methods
    There is war between us and IS, that's very different to war between us and Islam. That is why I think we should go after any IS military targets we can target with utmost savagery, and rather than prosecute people for thoughtcrime, we should go after actions. Fighting for IS is treason and should be met with life imprisonment "adhering to Her Majesty's enemies at home or abroad" it was enough to hang Casement.

[edited to add]

delenda est res publica islamica
  • Options

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

IS has very few subjects who consider them defending against anything.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Not till the latter has been brought to bloody-scalding temperature.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Good idea.
    It'd be difficult to get past the hand wringers though.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

Why all of this "we're better than they are" virtue signalling?
    Kill the bastards. Kill them all. Painfully.
  • Options

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

There is war between us and IS, that's very different to war between us and Islam. That is why I think we should go after any IS military targets we can target with utmost savagery, and rather than prosecute people for thoughtcrime, we should go after actions. Fighting for IS is treason and should be met with life imprisonment "adhering to Her Majesty's enemies at home or abroad" it was enough to hang Casement.

[edited to add]

You just advocated burning a city with 200,000 people in it to the ground. This is an interesting definition of military target.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Is that what you think he is? A murder suspect.

He's an avowed enemy of all of us, and is part of a network of such people.

Inter arma enim silent leges.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

Why all of this "we're better than they are" virtue signalling?
    Kill the bastards. Kill them all. Painfully.
    Agreed, I don't care about being better, I'm all about victory.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Good idea.
    Torture them too I suppose, they are going against policies that best protect Britain, so are guilty of treason.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Good idea.
    Difficult to get past people with a brain.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

You just advocated burning a city with 200,000 people in it to the ground. This is an interesting definition of military target.
    There are no civilians in total war.
    It's a legitimate target.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited March 2016
    Basically a private EURef exit poll could help The City make squillions

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/713466019692613632
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

How can it be religiously prejudiced then? Unless they were from different Islamic traditions I suppose.
    I understand he was murdered for blasphemy. Dreadful state of affairs, but not entirely surprising, I used to live on the south side of glasgow, some of it is fairly extreme
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

I said it should be the last resort, we should start of by visiting firy death on military targets wherever they may be... but I regard the bombing of German cities in WW2 as legitimate, don't see the difference really.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

GeoffM said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Good idea.
    Torture them too I suppose, they are going against policies that best protect Britain, so are guilty of treason.
    No, always allow free speech. Never discourage people from making their thoughts known.
    It makes it easier to take names accurately for future reference.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Khaki clad arses moving energetically about armchairs the night.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

"There are no civilians".

200,000 men, women and children and none of them are civilians.

None?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Financial Times
    Brexit has support of 250 leading business leaders.

(Why is it always 250 and not 249 or 251)

http://news.sky.com/story/1667179/saturdays-national-newspaper-front-pages
  • Options

And I suppose you would invite them round for a cup of tea.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

Thats pure ratshit.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Financial Times

Someone organises it and keeps calling people until they get a round number (or they just round the number off for the headline).
  • Options

There may just be a middle ground between the two positions perhaps? Just a guess.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Moses_ said:

Financial Times

Someone organises it and keeps calling people until they get a round number (or they just round the number off for the headline).
    And that is how you get Grannie Bessie Teashop type businesses in these lists.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

GeoffM said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

Thats pure ratshit.
    IS is effectively a country at war with us. At some point it needs to suffer the consequences of its actions. To date, we do not seem to be attempting to kill enough of our enemies. Brussels should have been replied to with utmost savagery, yes it would be better if it were visited on their fighters. Find an easy target, light it up. As you say, they are big in Libya. Time to see if the fuel-air bombs work.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

GeoffM said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

Thats pure ratshit.
    Well if we must take ratshit, best that it is pure I guess.
  • Options

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

To destroy Islamic State we need troops on the ground in larger numbers. We don't need "utmost savagery" (by which I assume you mean the wholesale massacre of civilians) we just need our army to do the disciplined, competent work it has been doing for centuries. Do keep in mind that the Axis powers outdid us for savagery in 1939-45 but they didn't win.

Btw, the real John Lilburne was a great man (imo), the real Cato the Elder not so much.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There may just be a middle ground between the two positions perhaps? Just a guess.
    I don't think IS does middle ground, or negotiates with kuffar. Not until we have a knife at their throat, in any case.
  • Options
    Final print edition of the Independent tomorrow. (I must remember to buy a copy as a souvenir).
  • Options

Y0kel said:

GeoffM said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

Thats pure ratshit.
    IS is effectively a country at war with us. At some point it needs to suffer the consequences of its actions. To date, we do not seem to be attempting to kill enough of our enemies. Brussels should have been replied to with utmost savagery, yes it would be better if it were visited on their fighters. Find an easy target, light it up. As you say, they are big in Libya. Time to see if the fuel-air bombs work.
    Most of that is also ratshit.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

kle4 said:

I don't think IS does middle ground, or negotiates with kuffar. Not until we have a knife at their throat, in any case.
    I don't mean a middle ground between whether we fight them or not - they are not in a position where we could negotiate with them even if we wanted to, which we don't. I mean a middle ground between indiscriminately bombing a city of 200,000 and doing nothing at all bar inviting IS to tea. The fight needs to be taken to them much more, somehow, and people have suggested options for that without getting into the razing of cities option, and that seems more reasonable and likely to be effective. Whether it can or will be done at that level remains to be seen (probably not) but is at least more realistic than the razing option.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

To destroy Islamic State we need troops on the ground in larger numbers. We don't need "utmost savagery" (by which I assume you mean the wholesale massacre of civilians) we just need our army to do the disciplined, competent work it has been doing for centuries. Do keep in mind that the Axis powers outdid us for savagery in 1939-45 but they didn't win.

Btw, the real John Lilburne was a great man (imo), the real Cato the Elder not so much.
    By utmost savagery I am talking about seeking the Queen's enemies and killing them. Bombing IS training camps and leaving no thing alive. Maybe putting special forces ashore in Sirte with a no quarter order. Seeking to kill IS fighters whatever we can find them. Not killing civilians, fighting a war.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

GeoffM said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

Thats pure ratshit.
    Thank you, you are probably right (and I do value your posts on the dark arts). My hope is that we are quietly, secretly, working to destroy them.
  • Options
    I see Trump backed BREXIT in his Piers Morgan ITV interview tonight
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

GeoffM said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

Thats pure ratshit.
    Thank you, you are probably right (and I do value your posts on the dark arts). My hope is that we are quietly, secretly, working to destroy them.
    The UK effort is probably one of the better ones going. The at source interdiction for example is a feature no other Euro nation has so far matched. It will, however, have a fail at some point in the near future.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

corporeal said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Burn it to the ground.

[edited to add]

By utmost savagery I am talking about seeking the Queen's enemies and killing them. Bombing IS training camps and leaving no thing alive. Maybe putting special forces ashore in Sirte with a no quarter order. Seeking to kill IS fighters whatever we can find them. Not killing civilians, fighting a war.
    I agree with most of that except for "no quarter order". Of course, it is well documented that surrenders are not always accepted in the heat of combat when the legal niceties say they should be. However, we probably want to accept IS surrenders if they are forthcoming. We can probably defeat them faster that way. If we refuse to accept any surrenders then we force them to fight to the last toothpick. That's not in our interests.

Once IS members are in our hands we can process them as we did the Nazis, investigating each individual's level of guilt and dealing with them accordingly.

Where that analogy breaks down, of course, is that IS has roots in our own society. How to go about dejihadification?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Farron: come to Lake District this weekend:

"...the added bonus is that you seem guaranteed not to bump into [Cameron]"

Nice.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Would have been surprising if he hadn't.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    "Rumors surrounding Ted Cruz and allegations he cheated on his wife with five women are believed to have steamed from Marco Rubio's camp - not Donald Trump's, as initially believed."

Daily Mail. "Steamed"? Sub-editor is on a night off. Although vaguely appropriate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3509366/Trump-aide-s-fury-100-false-claim-one-five-women-affair-Ted-Cruz.html#ixzz43xpaA1UY
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed but it does leave an interesting proxy EU ref battle taking place in the presidential election with Hillary backing Remain and Trump backing Leave
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed but it does leave an interesting proxy EU ref battle taking place in the presidential election with Hillary backing Remain and Trump backing Leave
    That battle won't officially be joined until after the EU ref is over, though.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    AndyJS said:

Final print edition of the Independent tomorrow. (I must remember to buy a copy as a souvenir).

Or as a reserve for the smallest room in the house?

• Options

"Rumors surrounding Ted Cruz and allegations he cheated on his wife with five women are believed to have steamed from Marco Rubio's camp - not Donald Trump's, as initially believed."

Daily Mail. "Steamed"? Sub-editor is on a night off. Although vaguely appropriate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3509366/Trump-aide-s-fury-100-false-claim-one-five-women-affair-Ted-Cruz.html#ixzz43xpaA1UY

Breitbart News, the notoriously Trump-friendly conservative outlet, was also pitched the story of Cruz’s extramarital affairs, according to a source close to the publication. That source said an operative allied with Marco Rubio—but not associated with his official campaign—showed the publication a compilation video of Cruz and a woman other than his wife coming out of the Capitol Grille restaurant and a hotel on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But the outlet opted not to report on the video, which demonstrated no direct evidence of an affair.
    “We got it from a Rubio ally,” said the source. “It was too thin, so [Breitbart’s Washington political editor Matt Boyle] decided not to run it. There was no way to verify the claims.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/25/ted-cruz-affair-rumors-peddled-by-marco-rubio-s-allies.html
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

By June 23rd Trump and Clinton will almost certainly be their respective parties' nominees
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

By June 23rd Trump and Clinton will almost certainly be their respective parties' nominees
    I think what may happen (and which we may already be seeing) is that a subset of Leavers become cheerleaders for Trump on this side of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/25/pc-zealots-seek-and-destroy-lars-ulrich-at-uc-berkeley.html

Another incident at a university...the birthplace the Free Speech Movement in the 1960s, shuts down an event...after they actually let them have their say.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

I think what may happen (and which we may already be seeing) is that a subset of Leavers become cheerleaders for Trump on this side of the Atlantic.
    UKIP supporters are the only voters of any major UK party who give Trump a positive rating for a reason, goodnight
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

UKIP supporters are the only voters of any major UK party who give Trump a positive rating for a reason, goodnight
    Just so. Sleep well :)
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I backed Cruz for the nomination ages ago at 4/1 and 9/2. Just laid him at 8.0-9.0 to recover half my stake.

I'm on Trump for POTUS at 4.32. Now 5.1 but hoping to make a profit ultimately nonetheless.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

I backed Cruz for the nomination ages ago at 4/1 and 9/2. Just laid him at 8.0-9.0 to recover half my stake.

I'm on Trump for POTUS at 4.32. Now 5.1 but hoping to make a profit ultimately nonetheless.

There was a point, just before Super Tuesday iirc, when Trump was at 3.7ish for POTUS. He was about 1.30 for the nomination then, I think.

It seems to me that his POTUS price is currently disconnected from his nomination price. The latter flits about a bit, the former seems stuck at 5.1. (This is just my impression, maybe not correct.)

My guess is that at some point (after the late April East Coast primaries? when he becomes inevitable anyway) Trump will come steaming in for the nomination and that the POTUS market will overreact gloriously and that he will come into 3.0ish.
  • Options
    If this is true, then this assists PB.com. GBP/USD varies naturally during the day, so let's do it over a day. Take a note of GBP/USD at 9pm the day before voting day. Take a note of GBP/USD at 9pm on voting day itself. If GBP has fallen, LEAVE is ahead. If it has risen, REMAIN is ahead.

If SPIN follows GE practice, SPIN will shut down briefly at about 9:45pm before coming back up at about 10:15pm with post-exit poll odds. So we'll have a 45-minute window between 9pm and 9:45pm to pile in using GBP/USD as a proxy indicator.

Conversely of course, we could just bug John Curtice's phone... :)

Basically a private EURef exit poll could help The City make squillions

h ttps://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/713466019692613632

• Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Awesome.

Let me write it for you

..do a big thing badly..
    ..just breathe regular..
    ..there it is..
    ..welcome to the NFL..

That is pretty hilarious. I get having some choice phrases or tics that repeat*, but that seems a little too cut and pasty and a little lazy.

* There's an author I really enjoy, but particularly with audio versions their overuse of expressions like 'heart skipped a beat' 'heart quickened' and 'heart sank' started making me worried all the characters had undiagnosed cardiac conditions.
    Thank you. Who's your author with the heart fetish?
This discussion has been closed.