Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters TV Show on Trump, Brussels,

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    HYUFD said:

Fox

GOP
    Trump 41
    Cruz 38
    Kasich 17

Dems
    Clinton 55
    Sanders 42

General election
    Clinton 49
    Trump 38

Clinton 44
    Cruz 47

Clinton 40
    Kasich 51

Sanders 52
    Trump 38

Sanders 47
    Cruz 43

Sanders 43
    Kasich 44

I'm going to hold my Cruz/Trump positions now, I think Cruz has a bit of Mo and if Trump doesn't get 1237 there is a squeak he might make it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

chestnut said:

I hate to piss on this middle-class establishment parade but smuggling anything through Schengen Area borders is easy. Though into the UK its harder - you need to buy scented candles to distract any sniffer dogs - not that there are any - but just in case you know.

I was on my way to the Indian Ocean not so long ago, and found to my surprise a sniffer dog paying attention my groin at Heathrow.

I had a reasonable amount of ready cash in my hip pocket, and I was asked to account for it because of the dog which could apparently smell bank notes :blush:
    You know that what gets me most. When im in South America or Africa (and ive lived in both) offering a bribe to some godforsaken foot soldier annoys yet its pennies really, in the EU I get away with monumental shenanigans cos 'free movement' 'citizen of the EU' etc . and it all goes either into my pocket or the EU.
    Maybe I'm being dim, but are you saying that not needing papers to cross between borders - like Canadian citizens crossing over to the US - is just like bribing a South American someone?

Because I just don't get it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    A British medical student who masterminded Isil’s first UK terror plot, to kill soldiers and police, was in contact with Jihadi John, it can be disclosed.

Tarik Hassane, 22, nicknamed The Surgeon, knew Mohammed Emwazi after growing up in the same part of west London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/12197035/Terror-plot-mastermind-in-contact-with-Jihadi-John.html
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited March 2016
    chestnut said:

These people are already entering illegally without papers. What would be different if we left the EU? Would your army of visa clerks and unicorns evaporate them with a death-ray?

If Europeans stopped flowing in at 300,000 a year, it's reasonable to assume that the border force might find itself with considerably more time and resources to tackle what's left, isn't it?
    Most of those 300,000 will still be eligible for entry. Even if we leave the EEA (not a Vote Leave policy) Visa restrictions for Western Europe are not going to happen.

And even if they did, the border staff would just be cut.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Since when was Islam a race?

A PR boss who asked a Muslim woman to 'explain Brussels' has been arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred.

Matthew Doyle, an LSE alumnus and partner at a south London-based talent agency, sparked outrage on social media after he 'confronted' a Muslim woman about the Brussels attacks which killed 34 people.

He wrote on Twitter: 'I confronted a Muslim woman in Croydon yesterday. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said "nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506275/Publicity-boss-asked-Muslim-woman-street-explain-Brussels-deluged-angry-hilarious-Tweets-reply.html

• Options

You know that what gets me most. When im in South America or Africa (and ive lived in both) offering a bribe to some godforsaken foot soldier annoys yet its pennies really, in the EU I get away with monumental shenanigans cos 'free movement' 'citizen of the EU' etc . and it all goes either into my pocket or the EU.

I've read that three times and I still don't understand it. You're unhappy that when travelling in Europe, bribes go into your own pocket or the EU? What? Can you rephrase?
    Apologies. Whilst a corrupt system pisses me off, one that necessitates bribes to working-class folk - local plod (these things tend to arise more near xmas and having chats with 'boys in blue; in Peru and Tanzania, the Czech Rep and Panama - what can I say im a dodgy geezer' - around personal anniversaries - though its a piss take im not going to rage at a guy who lives in a shit hole trying to make a buck) where it comes to systemic fiddling of taxes within the EU thats benefits the rich - like me - I think the institutional corruption is worse.

To be much shorter- outside the EU - I pay off workers.. Inside the EU i'm part of the system that does over the workers.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

A PR boss who asked a Muslim woman to 'explain Brussels' has been arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred.

Matthew Doyle, an LSE alumnus and partner at a south London-based talent agency, sparked outrage on social media after he 'confronted' a Muslim woman about the Brussels attacks which killed 34 people.

He wrote on Twitter: 'I confronted a Muslim woman in Croydon yesterday. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said "nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506275/Publicity-boss-asked-Muslim-woman-street-explain-Brussels-deluged-angry-hilarious-Tweets-reply.html

You see, there really is no hope.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Voodoo I guess

@JohnRentoul: ComRes for ITVNews: Voters think leaving the EU is a risk https://t.co/lhUMttKZ1u https://t.co/B0UuYMxtdy

It has some strange figures. The 65+ results show a narrow lead for LEAVE. Way out of line for the other polls I have seen. Similar out of line figures for 55+ Maybe suitable samples for these age groups are not available to phone calling due to ex directory and tps etc etc?
    Or maybe online samples aren't representative.
    They all have a big question mark as none appear to have stated that they have fully implemented improvements. The Comres turnout numbers reduce the sample to just 562 for GB.
    Comres was the most accurate general election pollster
    Least inaccurate.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Which is a laugh as there is no 'race' called Muslim.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Police and MI5 also found vital intelligence on others in the group - many of them fellow-students of Hassane from the University of Medical Sciences and Technology (UMST) in Sudan, where he had gone to study after doing badly in his A-levels.

His fellow students were the children of middle-class professionals, many of whom had sought asylum in Britain years earlier.

Those parents had sent their sons to study in Sudan to reconnect with their roots and, in some cases, in the misplaced hope of removing them from extremist influences in the UK.

15 of Hassane's fellow students left college to join IS

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35832688

Bulllllllllllll
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Just noticed that BBC News Channel is showing Newsnight between 11:15pm and midnight. Also the midnight show is now hosted from Singapore. Looks like they're trying to save money by having less live coverage from London.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

To be much shorter- outside the EU - I pay off workers.. Inside the EU i'm part of the system that does over the workers.

So you admit that the EU doesn't have the same low-level corruption, but believe high-level corruption is worse than the third world? That view is a short hop away from David Icke land.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited March 2016

@TwistedFirestopper 'I'm not an expert, but I don't think special forces can rock up, pull on their gloves and boots like Schwarzenegger in Commando, and then just chase after the baddies, shooting from the hip and tossing grenades. I'd guess they have to have a bit of a plan, and an idea of what is going on first'.

This is correct, most centrally run active measures units such as, I think, the BRI who did the Bataclan, tend to have to be released to duty.

Using military SOF in the UK is an entirely different matter. In a set piece, civil to military handover procedures still largely apply. Whilst you've heard talk in the papers of 'the SAS' (other military units are available) being embedded with the cops in London its not quite like they are one big Marvel comics hero team.

As regards the Belgians utilising French active measures units, some of the snare operations in Brussels over the last day involved a handful of French officers but be clear, they were Belgian-led operations.

Belgian active measures units competence, civil or military, is pretty solid. The Belgian domestic security agency are experienced, knowledgeable and broadly well regarded, The problems in Belgium are as follows:

1-The political and civil culture is very hurtful to operations.
    2-The agencies are good, they just are not big enough but this is a domestic security service constant in Europe
    3-The Belgian policing structure mitigates against good ops and the quality there is a bit variable. Resourcing is particularly notable. Culturally the police fit within issue 1 much more than the main domestic spying agency.
    4-Belgium has a near total lack of domestic big ears signals intelligence collection beyond approved phone tap. Reliance on 3rd party feeds is near total. Given that for many Western collection agencies 75-80% of actionable intelligence is signals based, its a rather large hole
    5-There is a huge lack of human intelligence sources at ANY level whatsover. Again this not unique , the French suffer badly and many countries including our own aren't excellent. Add that to Point 4 and its really bad.
    6-Belgium's Islamist problem is more acute than most, What came first, chicken or egg to cause that doesn't matter at this point, it exists.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Vote Remain to let in terrorists to kill you and your kids. Im no Crosby but im guessing thats not a winning message. If you want to play Project Fear make sure your opponent's cant out Trump you.
    How in any way would that situation be different if we were not in the EU?
    Because we could control our borders however we wished.
    These people are already entering illegally without papers. What would be different if we left the EU? Would your army of visa clerks and unicorns evaporate them with a death-ray?
    Yep - evaporate 100 with a death ray and broadcast it on the News (pour encourager les autres). I suspect illegal immigration would drop rather quickly.

If that sounds cruel - how many migrants have died crossing the Mediterranean?
  • Options

I've read that three times and I still don't understand it. You're unhappy that when travelling in Europe, bribes go into your own pocket or the EU? What? Can you rephrase?
    Apologies. Whilst a corrupt system pisses me off, one that necessitates bribes to working-class folk - local plod (these things tend to arise more near xmas and having chats with 'boys in blue; in Peru and Tanzania, the Czech Rep and Panama - what can I say im a dodgy geezer' - around personal anniversaries - though its a piss take im not going to rage at a guy who lives in a shit hole trying to make a buck) where it comes to systemic fiddling of taxes within the EU thats benefits the rich - like me - I think the institutional corruption is worse.

I'm still being dim.

Are you saying that a system that allows workers to have more freedom about who they work for does them over?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

viewcode said:

Vote Remain to let in terrorists to kill you and your kids. Im no Crosby but im guessing thats not a winning message. If you want to play Project Fear make sure your opponent's cant out Trump you.
    The question is what would change post-Brexit to prevent said terrorists entering. The UK retains the right to have whatever border controls it wishes and prevent whomsoever it wishes from entering: freedom of movement is a general thing, not a specific thing and individuals can be stopped. There is controversy concerning the use of human rights preventing deportation of individuals *from* the UK, but a) that's not EU and b) that's *from* the UK, not entering it. The reason why the GB borders are so porous are expense and logistics: a shedload of people arrive every day thru tens of ports and airports. And that's not even considering the Ireland-Northern Ireland border, which is entirely porous: there's a motorway going thru it.

You have stated that Parliament should be able to decide who it lets in to the UK. Fine. But it already has that power. It could demand a background check and three references from every single entrant if it wanted, without having to leave the EU. There are some impositions resulting from EU membership but if Cameron said tomorrow "Right. I'm closing all the ports and airports in UK indefinitely, nah-nah-na-na-nah" he could do it.

If you're advocating stopping all Muslims (for example) entering the UK, then I think that would be difficult whilst in the EU - although then you're in the thorny problem of how do you tell who is and is not a Muslim. But if you're advocating preventing specific individuals entering the UK, then that will not be made easier by Brexit, it'll be made worse.

Thank you for that very reasoned post. My view is that out of the EU our politicians (who I blame for this - regardless of party) would without the EU figleaf be much more likely to be held accountable. And accountability is central to any democracy.
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

I hate to piss on this middle-class establishment parade but smuggling anything through Schengen Area borders is easy. Though into the UK its harder - you need to buy scented candles to distract any sniffer dogs - not that there are any - but just in case you know.

I was on my way to the Indian Ocean not so long ago, and found to my surprise a sniffer dog paying attention my groin at Heathrow.

I had a reasonable amount of ready cash in my hip pocket, and I was asked to account for it because of the dog which could apparently smell bank notes :blush:
    Maybe I'm being dim, but are you saying that not needing papers to cross between borders - like Canadian citizens crossing over to the US - is just like bribing a South American someone?

Sorry i may not be entirely sober right now. My point was that it is a damn sight easier doing illegal stuff within the EU and especially , Schengen Area, than elsewhere. Now if one where to be so outrageous bribing a dude who lives in a shitehole balms the soul in a way that greasing the palm of bureaucrat does not.

From experience Schengen Area and EU border checks are worthless. If we want to control our borders then we must be out of the EU.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Andrew Neil
    Wonder if Islamic State looks at lighting candles/ laying flowers, Place de la Bourse, we see as civilised, but for them confirms we're weak
  • Options

Andrew Neil
    Wonder if Islamic State looks at lighting candles/ laying flowers, Place de la Bourse, we see as civilised, but for them confirms we're weak

I am sure they are bricking it that there is a twitter hashtag and an instagram image to share...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

Sorry i may not be entirely sober right now. My point was that it is a damn sight easier doing illegal stuff within the EU and especially , Schengen Area, than elsewhere. Now if one where to be so outrageous bribing a dude who lives in a shitehole balms the soul in a way that greasing the palm of bureaucrat does not.

From experience Schengen Area and EU border checks are worthless. If we want to control our borders then we must be out of the EU.
    But Schengen just codified what was already the case: if you have lots of countries with long land borders and no clear geographical boundaries (rivers, etc), then borders will be porous.

During the height of the troubles, when we had the full weight of the British army in Ulster, we never succeeded in securing the border with the Republic. Eventually the governments of the day recognised that attempts to control movement were basically a waste of time. We caught nobody - because there were so many ways to avoid our controls - while inconveniencing tens of thousands of law abiding citizens.

If you travelled in 1950 between Amsterdam and Rome, crossing multiple borders, you would not have been stopped. Sure, there might have been a dusty sentry box. But European countries have never had the manpower - not in 2000, 1950, 1900 or 1500 - to police the movement of people between countries.

Schengen was merely a codification of the economically inevitable. The EU will undoubtedly fall. But something that looks like Schengen will exist forever: because countries with long borders, and few people, have little alternative.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Bit of a debacle on the Lottery tonight. The winning numbers were 7 - 14 - 21 - 35 - 41 - 42 (Bonus 43) and the prize breakdown that produced was:
           	     # Winners	  Prize      Prize fund
    Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    Match 5 + Bonus 6 £10,016 £60,096
    Match 5 4,082 £15 £61,230
    Match 4 7,879 £51 £401,829
    Match 3 114,232 £25 £2,855,800
    Imagine matching 5 numbers and winning £15!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Since when was Islam a race?

It's not - Judaism is the one that is both a race and religion, and Sikhs are normally ethnically from the Punjab region. Islam and christianity are such widespread religions that the notion of racism applying to either is meaningless.
    People from East asia tend to be of the same nationality as their ethnicity.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    weejonnie said:

Which is a laugh as there is no 'race' called Muslim.
    I can tell you the chances of a successful prosecution. Zero, zilch, absolute zero. Incitement has such a high bar for conviction, means rightly, it takes an awful lot to end up in jail.

This will be quietly dropped and another charge will be made. Someone will now be getting a bollicking.
  • Options

Bit of a debacle on the Lottery tonight. The winning numbers were 7 - 14 - 21 - 35 - 41 - 42 (Bonus 43) and the prize breakdown that produced was:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    Match 3, win £25!
    Match 5, win £15!
  • Options

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    Worse odds than when I got Alabama and Alaska mixed up on my Democrat spreadsheet yesterday :)
  • Options

So you admit that the EU doesn't have the same low-level corruption, but believe high-level corruption is worse than the third world? That view is a short hop away from David Icke land.
    Its not David Icke land. Both systems allow me to take the piss. One - lets call it the South American- gets money onto the pocket of a cop to feed his family the other - lets call it the EU - goes into a large hole for the richest to feed on. The latter makes me better off financially the former morally. The EU helps the rich and does over the working-classes.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The first time when people are trying to fudge their lottery tickets to show LESS correct numbers.
  • Options

But Schengen just codified what was already the case: if you have lots of countries with long land borders and no clear geographical boundaries (rivers, etc), then borders will be porous.

During the height of the troubles, when we had the full weight of the British army in Ulster, we never succeeded in securing the border with the Republic. Eventually the governments of the day recognised that attempts to control movement were basically a waste of time. We caught nobody - because there were so many ways to avoid our controls - while inconveniencing tens of thousands of law abiding citizens.

If you travelled in 1950 between Amsterdam and Rome, crossing multiple borders, you would not have been stopped. Sure, there might have been a dusty sentry box. But European countries have never had the manpower - not in 2000, 1950, 1900 or 1500 - to police the movement of people between countries.

Schengen was merely a codification of the economically inevitable. The EU will undoubtedly fall. But something that looks like Schengen will exist forever: because countries with long borders, and few people, have little alternative.

For continental countries yes. For us not so much.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    rcs1000 said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    Match 3, win £25!
    Match 5, win £15!
    Yup - they allocate the £25's first, which massively depletes the pool available for the other winning combos. And then the usual number of Match 5 winners is about 100, apparently, so dividing it 4000 ways leaves everyone with just £15.

The debacle is of course because people were playing multiples of seven.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

For continental countries yes. For us not so much.

Yes, and that's why we're not in Schengen.

I think we tend to forget that not all countries have the same choices we do. We're an island. Crossing into the UK means going through one of a relative small number of ports and airports. (Or the Channel Tunnel.)

It would economically cripple Europe to attempt the same degree of control of borders as we have. So, by and large, they don't bother.

This might sound insane.

But really, it's like this: we could cut road deaths to zero by reducing the speed limit to 20 miles per hour. But there would be serious economic consequences from such a move. So, we allow a certain amount of accidental death because - like it or not - human life has a quantifiable cost.

And that is why continental Europe chooses not to attempt to close its borders. It would be economically disastrous. And a few tens of people dying in a terrorist incident every few years is an occupational hazard.

(This may sound incredibly callous. But remember this: VW probably killed as many people through its cheating on emission standards as ISIS. We care a lot about one, and very little about the other.)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table
  • Options
    Israel's Cellebrite linked to FBI's iPhone hack attempt

Cellebrite told the BBC that it works with the FBI but would not say more. Its website, however, states that one of its tools can extract and decode data from the iPhone 5C - the model in question - among other locked handsets

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35883441
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cellebrite, considered one of the leading companies in the world in the field of digital forensics, has been working with the world's biggest intelligence, defense and law enforcement authorities for many years.

The company provides the FBI with decryption technology as part of a contract signed with the bureau in 2013.

Cellebrite's technology is able to extract valuable information from cellular devices that could be used in criminal and intelligence investigations, even if the phone and the information it contains are locked and secure.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4782246,00.html
  • Options

Cellebrite, considered one of the leading companies in the world in the field of digital forensics, has been working with the world's biggest intelligence, defense and law enforcement authorities for many years.

The company provides the FBI with decryption technology as part of a contract signed with the bureau in 2013.

Cellebrite's technology is able to extract valuable information from cellular devices that could be used in criminal and intelligence investigations, even if the phone and the information it contains are locked and secure.

Presumably they'll image the device, and then run 1,000 parallel brute force attacks in emulators.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    It's handy how the junior doctors are preparing the country for life in the future as when Hunt gets his shiny new rotas there will be so many holes in the A&E and ITU ones that it'll be like the strikes all over again.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just noticed that BBC News Channel is showing Newsnight between 11:15pm and midnight. Also the midnight show is now hosted from Singapore. Looks like they're trying to save money by having less live coverage from London.

Probably. But I like the idea of a repeat of Newsnight. Sometimes I come in from the pub and I've missed the key interview.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Probably. But I like the idea of a repeat of Newsnight. Sometimes I come in from the pub and I've missed the key interview.
    I agree.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table
    I guess matching 5 of 1,2,3,4,5,6 might result in a similarly distorted payout.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Presumably they'll image the device, and then run 1,000 parallel brute force attacks in emulators.
    I would have thought imaging the device would be the logical first step. What they do after that, who knows. I am not exactly surprised that the Israelis are good at it.
  • Options
    In the EU with a EU passport we have to let them in. Outside the EU we don't. Its simple. Remain in the EU we have no choice but to let terrorists in. Leave the EU we decide who we let in. Want to make it harder for terrorists to come into our country Vote Leave. want to make it easier for terrorists to come into our country Vote Remain. Simple choice.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Chris_A"

'It's handy how the junior doctors are preparing the country for life in the future as when Hunt gets his shiny new rotas there will be so many holes in the A&E and ITU ones that it'll be like the strikes all over again.'

We will manage without the greedy scumbags.

• Options

In the EU with a EU passport we have to let them in. Outside the EU we don't. Its simple. Remain in the EU we have no choice but to let terrorists in. Leave the EU we decide who we let in. Want to make it harder for terrorists to come into our country Vote Leave. want to make it easier for terrorists to come into our country Vote Remain. Simple choice.

Are we going to require visas to allow EU citizens in the UK for a holiday?

If not, hard to see what changes for the determined terrorist.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Up to us to decide. In the EU the EU decides.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Look, I've argued passionately on this site for why we should leave the EU in the past.

But the idea we'd suddenly be safe from Islamic terrorism if we left the EU is - frankly - bullshit. We have enough crazies in our country already. And there is no developed country I can think of that requires visas from similarly rich countries.

So, you are positing an entirely implausible benefit.

Keep it simple. We should leave the EU because: (a) we'll have access to the same market we did before, (b) with lower costs, and (c) without the ECJ having sovereignty.

The idea we'd start stopping EU (or US) citizens from entering the UK without a visa is ridiculous. And if we did, it would likely be economically disastrous.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table
    Interestingly and rather obviously to PB types, the odds of winning are still around 45 million to one, whatever your six number sequence.

So, a better strategy is to pick the most unpopular sequence of six numbers.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Look, I've argued passionately on this site for why we should leave the EU in the past.

But the idea we'd suddenly be safe from Islamic terrorism if we left the EU is - frankly - bullshit. We have enough crazies in our country already. And there is no developed country I can think of that requires visas from similarly rich countries.

So, you are positing an entirely implausible benefit.

Keep it simple. We should leave the EU because: (a) we'll have access to the same market we did before, (b) with lower costs, and (c) without the ECJ having sovereignty.

The idea we'd start stopping EU (or US) citizens from entering the UK without a visa is ridiculous. And if we did, it would likely be economically disastrous.
    Im argueing nothing other than outwith the EU we decide who we let into our country. Within the EU we do not get to decide that.

That decision and how that decision is implemented, should I believe, be our decision and our decision only. I care less about what the decision is than I do that we should have the power to make it. Remain in the EU and we do not have that power. Leave the EU and we do.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table
    At least 10,000 people a week choose this combination according to various websites.
    Numbers above 31 are good, as no chance of being picked by others based on mum's birthday etc.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Pong said:

Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table
    Interestingly and rather obviously to PB types, the odds of winning are still around 45 million to one, whatever your six number sequence.

The was the week - very early on - when I think the jackpot was won by about 120 people and they disappointingly all got about £100k each. Best numbers to go for are sequences in the 40s on multiple roll-over weeks.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    AfD now polling more than half as much as the Social Democrats when taking an average of the seven polling companies, 12% vs 22%. First time the gap has been this small.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412

Too negative, I'm afraid.

A much more positive slogan would be:

Believe in Britain!

Believe!
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    O/T how about Stoke 260-1 to finish top 4 in the premier league? Stranger things have happened so far this season...
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Pong said:

Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table

The whole proposition carries a -EV except in rare occasions of extended role overs, the best strategy is not to play at all
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table
    You'd think they would have a reserve fund to top up the prize fund in a situation like this.
  • Options

Pong said:

Pong said:

Match 6 0 £0 £24,887,143
    That's crazy.
    lucky 7 x table

The whole proposition carries a -EV except in rare occasions of extended role overs, the best strategy is not to play at all
    A bit like global thermonuclear war then ;)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:
    Truly the finest Chancellor of all time, though I do recall complaints about budgets clashing with the Champion Hurdle. Last week's clashed with the Champion Chase, of course. What's Osborne got against the Queen Mother?
  • Options
    Interesting comparison of media political bias

Most Media is Left of Center https://t.co/ozefy9EwVU
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Another triumph for the Beige Tories:

Despite the lack of tuition fees, it has emerged that only 9.7 per cent of Scots were accepted to university from disadvantaged areas last year compared to 17 per cent in England, 13.9 per cent in Northern Ireland and 15.5 per cent in Wales.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12202592/Fewer-poorest-Scots-going-to-ancient-universities.html
  • Options

Despite the lack of tuition fees, it has emerged that only 9.7 per cent of Scots were accepted to university from disadvantaged areas last year compared to 17 per cent in England, 13.9 per cent in Northern Ireland and 15.5 per cent in Wales.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12202592/Fewer-poorest-Scots-going-to-ancient-universities.html

A terrifying avatar. :o
  • Options

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-your-preferred-news-outlet-says-about-your-political-ideology-2014-10

The data for all consumers is not normally distributed, so the "average" tells you very little. If you look carefully at the graph which shows all consumers (small and faint graph at the top right of each chart) there are 3 peaks, probably roughly corresponding to centre left, centre right, and right wing nutters. respectively, each with their own cluster of news sources
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Wisconsin - Emerson

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38
    Clinton 46 .. Cruz 46
    Sanders 47 .. Trump 38

California - PPI Cal

Trump 38 .. Cruz 27 .. Kasich 14
    Clinton 48 .. Sanders 41

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication.asp?i=1178
  • Options
    JackW said:

Wisconsin - Emerson

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38
    Clinton 46 .. Cruz 46
    Sanders 47 .. Trump 38

California - PPI Cal

Clinton 48 .. Sanders 41

One was wondering how your EUARSE was feeling?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    It is hard to tell from a single tweet from last October but the subtitle suggests it is not media bias being graphed but audience characteristics.

• Options
    Lovely William Morris Google today
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    RobD said:

A terrifying avatar. :o
    But its True! No more Tartan or Red (50p, who said anything about 50p?) Tories - only nice inoffensive Beige Tories in Holyrood now......(probably something to do with wanting to win elections......)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    It’s Holy Week and the House of Commons put on a mystery play yesterday instead of prime minister’s questions. The Passion of the Corbyn began with the bearded JC trying earnestly to help the poor and disadvantaged in society, but ended with him being nailed and mocked as all around, even those on his own side, shouted “crucify him”.

John Bercow, that Pompous Pilot, tried in vain to calm the noise. “What evil hath he done?” he asked. “What’s more, people watching this on TV always complain that they hate this sort of thing.” But the crowd kept yelling “let him be crucified”, so Mr Speaker washed his hands of it.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/sketch/article4720131.ece
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Wisconsin - Emerson

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38
    Clinton 46 .. Cruz 46
    Sanders 47 .. Trump 38

California - PPI Cal

Clinton 48 .. Sanders 41

Thank you for asking.

My ARSE4EU is full of Springtime vim and pep and preparing for its first outpouring next Tuesday .... :smile:
  • Options
    Hopeless

Danny Shaw
    Latest border inspection report reveals 40% of planned illegal immigrant deportations last year were cancelled https://t.co/9Y4fGUMzDG
  • Options
    Tasty

Julia Hartley Brewer
    Labour frontrunner for London mayor @SadiqKhan will be live in my @talkRADIO studio 10am today talking terror, Corbyn & his election battle
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Wisconsin - Emerson

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38
    Clinton 46 .. Cruz 46
    Sanders 47 .. Trump 38

California - PPI Cal

Clinton 48 .. Sanders 41

Thank you for asking.

My ARSE4EU is full of Springtime vim and pep and preparing for its first outpouring next Tuesday .... :smile:
    Ah I see (my apologies for getting the name wrong), giving it a good spring cleaning before the celebratory toot next week are we? :D

Hope all is well otherwise.
  • Options
    If you're looking for a small distraction we're 45 mins away from NZ flag referendum result. Turn out is perhaps 80%, I'd make the status quo a 1.15 bet about now.
  • Options

Hopeless

Theresa May's responsibility
  • Options
    Two further horrible POTUS Clinton/Trump matchups for The Donald overnight. Fox - Clinton +11 and Bloomberg - Clinton +18.

A rolling average of the last six polls, all from different sources, has Clinton +11.66.

NBC/Marist + 13 .. CBS/NYTimes +10 .. CNN/ORC +12 .. Quinnipiac +6 .. Bloomberg +18 .. Fox +11
  • Options
    Danny Shaw
    A striking description: Maajid Nawaz from Quilliam think tank says Europe is now in the midst of something akin to a jihadist guerrilla war

Great column in Times today
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4720138.ece
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Crabb blames ... atheism !

"Stephen Crabb, the new work and pensions secretary, has previously suggested Britain’s increasingly secular society risks “pushing more young Muslims into the arms of Isis”.
    Belgium holds minute's silence for Brussels attack victims
    Read more

Crabb, then Welsh secretary, used a speech to claim that a “hard-edged” secularism in Britain was partly to blame for “aiding and abetting” extremism"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/23/cameron-tells-christians-help-muslims-tackle-extremism
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Wisconsin - Emerson

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38
    Clinton 46 .. Cruz 46
    Sanders 47 .. Trump 38

California - PPI Cal

Clinton 48 .. Sanders 41

Thank you for asking.

Ah I see (my apologies for getting the name wrong), giving it a good spring cleaning before the celebratory toot next week are we? :D

Hope all is well otherwise.
    Indeed.

Spring always puts the sap back into us youngsters .... :smile:
  • Options

If you're looking for a small distraction we're 45 mins away from NZ flag referendum result. Turn out is perhaps 80%, I'd make the status quo a 1.15 bet about now.

The polls have suggested 60-65% for status quo.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Discussion on here last night re the difference in security that could be achieved if in Europe or out. Well I guess if anyone would know then he would.....I think I'll believe him rather than anyone else.

The former head of MI6 yesterday demolished the security case for staying in the EU – saying Britain could be safer out.

Sir Richard Dearlove said Brexit would make it easier to deport terrorists and control our borders.
    He added that Europe could not turn its back on Britain if it left the EU because our intelligence services 'give much more' than they get in return. In any event, Washington was a more important counter-terror ally, he said.

The former spy chief also dismissed suggestions that Brexit would harm our relationship with the US and likened the EU's various intelligence bodies to the 'leakiest ships of state' and colanders riddled with holes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506991/UK-safer-Europe-says-former-MI6-chief-Sir-Richard-Dearlove-suggests-Brexit-make-easier-deport-terrorists.html#ixzz43njdKZ6l
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    WTF? Seriously?

Ho hum, that's the sort of nitwittery I expect from Welby. Or the Arch Druid.
    Pulpstar said:

"Stephen Crabb, the new work and pensions secretary, has previously suggested Britain’s increasingly secular society risks “pushing more young Muslims into the arms of Isis”.
    Read more

Crabb, then Welsh secretary, used a speech to claim that a “hard-edged” secularism in Britain was partly to blame for “aiding and abetting” extremism"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/23/cameron-tells-christians-help-muslims-tackle-extremism

• Options
    Moses_ said:

Discussion on here last night re the difference in security that could be achieved if in Europe or out. Well I guess if anyone would know then he would.....I think I'll believe him rather than anyone else.

The former head of MI6 yesterday demolished the security case for staying in the EU – saying Britain could be safer out.

Sir Richard Dearlove said Brexit would make it easier to deport terrorists and control our borders.
    He added that Europe could not turn its back on Britain if it left the EU because our intelligence services 'give much more' than they get in return. In any event, Washington was a more important counter-terror ally, he said.

The former spy chief also dismissed suggestions that Brexit would harm our relationship with the US and likened the EU's various intelligence bodies to the 'leakiest ships of state' and colanders riddled with holes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506991/UK-safer-Europe-says-former-MI6-chief-Sir-Richard-Dearlove-suggests-Brexit-make-easier-deport-terrorists.html#ixzz43njdKZ6l

I think Five Eyes is much more important to us than any cooperation in Europe. To suggest it would be damaged by Brexit is absurd, it was in existence long before we were in the EU.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Thanks for reminding us about it, I'd forgotten completely. Interesting that it's the Conservative PM who's in favour of change whereas the Labour Party aren't so interested.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Live blog from the Guardian on the New Zealand flag declaration:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/mar/24/new-zealand-flag-vote-historic-flag-change-decision-to-be-announced-live?CMP=twt_gu

"It’s somewhat mind-boggling to think that this process got underway in earnest in May last year, when a government-appointed “flag consideration panel” put out a call for public submissions of New Zealand’s potential new flag.
    More than 10,200 designs were received, many of which sang with promise. You might remember the kiwi with lasers for eyes, and – my personal favourite – “deranged cat raking its garden”. Of course, none of the below made the initial longlist of 40. What could have been..."
  • Options

Danny Shaw
    A striking description: Maajid Nawaz from Quilliam think tank says Europe is now in the midst of something akin to a jihadist guerrilla war

Great column in Times today
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4720138.ece

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/press/global-jihadist-insurgency-hits-europe/

"The priority now is to care for victims, support their families, catch the perpetrators, and prevent reprisal or copycat attacks and not allow fears to affect our strategic decision and domestic voting patterns. "
  • Options
    Paul Kirkby
    'After porn and gambling, US politics is the fastest adopter of new tech'. Interesting piece on hi-tech fundraising https://t.co/l3IAjy4afk
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    It will be interesting to see how much the left wing leadership of the BMA has of a grasp on its members. What percentages of the Doctors will actually strike for 2 days and no cover? The Doctors are likely to lose when the Govt will not cave in.. Will it go to three days, a week a month?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @fatshez: I see Richard Dearlove is of the view only EU security would suffer if UK left EU, which is nice.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

Read more

Not such a daft view. People who are secure in their religion and weĺl versed may well be more resistant to poorly developed extreme ideologies.

Many Jihadis (the Woolwich murderers; the shoe bomber) have fairly dissolute lives of petty or serious crime, before becoming radicalised. The Brussels bombers seem to have this background too.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Thanks for reminding us about it, I'd forgotten completely. Interesting that it's the Conservative PM who's in favour of change whereas the Labour Party aren't so interested.
    It's crazy, the left wing people would mostly like a flag change, but will not vote for it because it's associated with a right wing PM.

Turn out expected to be higher than last general election.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

It will be interesting to see how much the left wing leadership of the BMA has of a grasp on its members. What percentages of the Doctors will actually strike for 2 days and no cover? The Doctors are likely to lose when the Govt will not cave in.. Will it go to three days, a week a month?

Interesting indeed - and terribly sad.

Well paid Doctors will be striking for more money. The patient safety meme goes out of the window as soon as they remove emergency cover.

I predict a double whammy of bad news for the BMA leadership - record low withdrawal of labour and dreadful, dreadful press and turning of public opinion.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Read more

Isn't that a paradox though. They have a massive amount of freedom here in comparison to that which would be available had they been living in other societies elsewhere. Yet despite that available freedom and acceptance by the host they still seek in many ways to overturn this and a very few even wish to destroy this freedom using violence.
  • Options
    What UK Thinks
    Last night's @ComRes @itvnews #euref poll has edged our Poll of Polls to Remain 51, Leave 49. 2/6 phone polls. https://t.co/juaJun47Yb
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    My dear wife informs me that her relative incompetence in selecting the lottery numbers means we are £25 to the good this morning. Thank goodness she didn't get 5 numbers right. I will try not to spend it all at once.
  • Options
    Hmm

ISIS smuggler says more than 4,000 covert gunmen have been smuggled into western nations amongst refugees | Mirror https://t.co/j0FHMvemhP
  • Options

Hmm

ISIS smuggler says more than 4,000 covert gunmen have been smuggled into western nations amongst refugees | Mirror https://t.co/j0FHMvemhP

Not so stupid of Dave to only accept those from the camps in/near Syria.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Interesting indeed - and terribly sad.

Well paid Doctors will be striking for more money. The patient safety meme goes out of the window as soon as they remove emergency cover.

I predict a double whammy of bad news for the BMA leadership - record low withdrawal of labour and dreadful, dreadful press and turning of public opinion.

Someone coined the phrase on here last night perfectly.... Can't remember who sorry?

" sorry sweetheart, granny died because the doctors wanted more money"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

Hopeless

Danny Shaw
    Latest border inspection report reveals 40% of planned illegal immigrant deportations last year were cancelled https://t.co/9Y4fGUMzDG

One reason not mentioned in the article is the granting of "plane stopper" interim orders from the Courts when a new appeal is lodged or the original decision is challenged on some basis. To put the losses into perspective Court of Session judges have been told that each time such an interim order is granted it costs the taxpayer in excess of £10K.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

AndyJS said:

It's crazy, the left wing people would mostly like a flag change, but will not vote for it because it's associated with a right wing PM.

Turn out expected to be higher than last general election.
    John Key probably made a major error in calling the referendum when he's been in office for so long because a lot of people are bound to vote on that issue rather than the actual question. If he'd called the referendum just after becoming PM that problem wouldn't have arisen, most likely.
This discussion has been closed.