Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sanders runs Hillary pretty close in latest round of primar

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    One point in favour of leave: The over 35s have some experience of life and many years of EU failures. The under 35s are only now discovering that there are other opinions and facts.

I would hazard that the leavers will stick, but some remainers are having their eyes opened after all the years of pro-EU rhetoric.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

FU..We need to know that Mormons future travel plans

Indeed – Tis always wise to vacate the area when Miss Marple arrives in your town.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970

OT. Have I missed a bit of news somewhere?

At 11.35 on the Telegraph live politics update page there is a photo of all 140 Tory MPs who want to Leave the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/12201926/Boris-Johnson-faces-first-major-Prime-Minister-test--as-he-is-challenged-over-claims-London-will-be-better-off-outside-EU-live.html

Now I would swear that the 6th in from the right is Douglas Carswell. Has he rejoined the Tories over the last few days?

Well Suzanne Evans has been suspended and gone to the courts, so maybe Douglas has reratted back.
    Be nice. You always said he wasn't a rat. Don't make me upset you again Mr Eagles :-)
  • Options

American Mormon, 19, left with burns and shrapnel injuries in Brussels attack also survived Boston and Paris bombings

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3505243/It-s-blessing-God-s-alive-American-Mormon-injured-brush-terrorism-Brussels-surviving-Boston-bombing-Paris-attacks.html

The Fast Show fans will get this, but that's a real life Unlucky Alf
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Scott_P said:
    I think we can put John Woodcock down as "neutral but not hostile" on the list.

By the way, didn't Stalin like these kinds of lists? I think he managed to keep them all in his head though.
    Yeah, you're right, it's only on the extreme left that political parties can split into warring factions where the leader needs to have an awareness of who is on which side in case he needs a sympathetic hearing/new S of S for DWP etc etc.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Cameron must be getting bored with all these strolls in the park..
  • Options

At 11.35 on the Telegraph live politics update page there is a photo of all 140 Tory MPs who want to Leave the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/12201926/Boris-Johnson-faces-first-major-Prime-Minister-test--as-he-is-challenged-over-claims-London-will-be-better-off-outside-EU-live.html

Now I would swear that the 6th in from the right is Douglas Carswell. Has he rejoined the Tories over the last few days?

Well Suzanne Evans has been suspended and gone to the courts, so maybe Douglas has reratted back.
    Be nice. You always said he wasn't a rat. Don't make me upset you again Mr Eagles :-)
    How about, if Douglas Carswell rejoined the Tories, it would make him positively Churchillian.
  • Options

How about, if Douglas Carswell rejoined the Tories, it would make him positively Churchillian.
    You see I knew you could do it. :-)
  • Options
    There could be a few more twists, but if you said 5 hours ago that England would win by 20 runs, the answer would have been "boring", "NID".
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Special hour long Panorama this evening at 9pm looks interesting.

"Examining how the so-called Islamic State's terror network has been operating secretly in Europe, and Western intelligence agencies' battle to stop it, from highly organised cells, like the one that killed 130 people in Paris, to lone attackers within communities"
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I think Carswell (and Evans perhaps) has more in common with the 140 Tory Leave MPs than he does with Farage and his cult.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Polruan said:

Pulpstar said:

LondonBob said:

The only two counties in AZ that Cruz ran Trump close were Navajo and Graham which are Mormon areas, 20% and 25% respectively. In SoCal and NM only Catron County in NM has a significant Mormon population at 20%, so the AZ result reads even better for Trump. The other good news for Trump is there is a mere scattering of Mormons in Montana and Washington, and negligible elsewhere.

Sanders did do very well, HRC stumbles on, ever reliant on the superdelegates.

I've posted targets for Sanders and Hillary on my profile (For HRC to win WITHOUT superdelegates)

Alaska 67
    Hawaii 70
    Washington 67 <- Most important

Sanders needs to beat in the next lot.</p>
    Thanks, that's very useful. Good material for me and @nickpalmer to get to work on a more nuanced cricketing analogy.
    I'm going back to cricket analogies after Richard N pointed out the snag about the foray into cigars...
  • Options

I think Carswell (and Evans perhaps) has more in common with the 140 Tory Leave MPs than he does with Farage and his cult.

Agree entirely. |But since those 140 MPs do not currently hold power in the Tory party that is rather a moot point.
  • Options

You get the feeling were someone like Gove became Tory leader, you'd see a lot of UKIP switchers heading back to the Tories.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    If my arithmetic is right Afghanistan are about 1 run behind where England were at this stage. But it is all about that penultimate over.
  • Options

Agree entirely. |But since those 140 MPs do not currently hold power in the Tory party that is rather a moot point.
    They held enough power to force the Prime Minister to hold this referendum against his wishes as even with the Lib Dems last Parliament the writing was on the wall that there were enough rebels to bring this to a head.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I'd have thought Suzanne Evans would be a very good leader of Ukip. Is Farage a Labour plant?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The bungles were highlighted last week with the arrest of Salah Abdeslam, a suspect in the Paris outrages, during a raid on an apartment in Brussels months after he’d gone to ground in a seedy quarter of the capital.

Although the Belgian national had been known to law enforcement agencies before the November outrages, he’d managed to travel across the border to France, where he bought detonators using his driving licence as proof of identity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3505361/Lethal-failures-bungling-Belgians-Authorities-failed-prevent-atrocities-Brussels-hotbed-radical-Islamists-writes-MICHAEL-BURLEIGH.html

I thought not checking the wardrobe was bad....You just can't make this shit up...
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    @Morris_Dancer Saw this and thought of you

Chris Blackwell
    How would Greek history seem if we translated all names and terms, as happens with Native American history? https://t.co/e8EjqS0EXY
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If my arithmetic is right Afghanistan are about 1 run behind where England were at this stage. But it is all about that penultimate over.

It's all over now.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's all over now.
    Are you sure?
  • Options
    Lolz

Maomentum
    I gather the Labour leadership has spent the morning updating the loyalty list. https://t.co/PGpdryLCMq
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's all over now.
    Are you sure?
    24 from 6 deliveries on the last wicket. I sure hope so!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

25 off the last over = 25 off penultimate over for England.
  • Options
    Is there a link to this famous list?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

American Mormon, 19, left with burns and shrapnel injuries in Brussels attack also survived Boston and Paris bombings

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3505243/It-s-blessing-God-s-alive-American-Mormon-injured-brush-terrorism-Brussels-surviving-Boston-bombing-Paris-attacks.html

The Fast Show fans will get this, but that's a real life Unlucky Alf
    "Aw....bugger...."
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Tangentially, this may help explain Trump's poor ratings with Mormons -- since Mormons commonly spend long periods abroad, they might be less impressed by Trump's scapegoating foreigners.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,328
  • Options
    Never in doubt.

Why is PB full of England cricket fans who go all ponceyboots gaylord whenever England have a bad over?

Keep calm people.
  • Options
    Good final over from England. Four dot balls in the final over.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Pulpstar said:
    Mike Gapes being neutral makes me start laughing every time I think about it. Christ, I wouldn't like to see him when he's hostile.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Tangentially, this may help explain Trump's poor ratings with Mormons -- since Mormons commonly spend long periods abroad, they might be less impressed by Trump's scapegoating foreigners.
    More likely down to (a) being a more cohesive group (b) being more dedicated at a caucus (c) being more socially conservative and (d) holding a much better opinion of Romney, who endorsed Cruz.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966

Last night's results clarified nothing and just made more questions than answers to be perfectly frank.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Is there a link to this famous list?

I'd like to see it too, - just to find out which circle of hell Liz Kendall has been placed in.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    weejonnie said:

One point in favour of leave: The over 35s have some experience of life and many years of EU failures. The under 35s are only now discovering that there are other opinions and facts.

I would hazard that the leavers will stick, but some remainers are having their eyes opened after all the years of pro-EU rhetoric.

What about all the anti EU rhetoric from the tabloids and most young people are more likely to have friends from other EU nations and be more attracted to the free movement principle
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2016

Never in doubt.

Why is PB full of England cricket fans who go all ponceyboots gaylord whenever England have a bad over?

Keep calm people.

Because you will insist on watching the match instead of doing your duty incommunicado in the lav.
  • Options

Never in doubt.

Keep calm people.

Fantastic effort by Shafiqullah, who I must confess of never having heard of before today.

So we can't bat, bowl or field. Are we going to win this?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Incidentally, nice that labourlist is living up to its name there.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Pulpstar said:
    There are obviously exceptions, but my impression is that competence increases in step with hostility to Corbyn.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Never in doubt.

Keep calm people.

Cricket, oh so boring :lol:
  • Options
    To be fair to Corbyn, I'm fairly certain the Tory Whips have a colour coded system for their own side.

Blue means you're an ultra loyalist and can be relied upon no matter what

Yellow means you're loyal but on a specific issue you have doubts but could be won over

Red means you're loyal but on a specific issue you have doubts but can't be won over

and Brown, for the shits like David Davis that will always vote against the Government, no matter what.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Pulpstar said:

LondonBob said:

The only two counties in AZ that Cruz ran Trump close were Navajo and Graham which are Mormon areas, 20% and 25% respectively. In SoCal and NM only Catron County in NM has a significant Mormon population at 20%, so the AZ result reads even better for Trump. The other good news for Trump is there is a mere scattering of Mormons in Montana and Washington, and negligible elsewhere.

I've posted targets for Sanders and Hillary on my profile (For HRC to win WITHOUT superdelegates)

Alaska 67
    Hawaii 70

Thanks, that's very useful. Good material for me and @nickpalmer to get to work on a more nuanced cricketing analogy.
    I'm going back to cricket analogies after Richard N pointed out the snag about the foray into cigars...
    I'm sure that there's no risk at all of you getting into Clinton-related trouble with cricketing analogies, as the Afghanistan batsmen ruin another maiden with a tickle around the corner.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Wanderer said:

Pulpstar said:
    Mike Gapes being neutral makes me start laughing every time I think about it. Christ, I wouldn't like to see him when he's hostile.
    Wes Streeting neutral? He voted for Leicester Liz :)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:
    There are obviously exceptions, but my impression is that competence increases in step with hostility to Corbyn.
    Well, one of the Core Group is dead.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    By the way, didn't Stalin like these kinds of lists? I think he managed to keep them all in his head though.
    Stalin began by deciding how many people there would be within each category, then generally left the dirty work of filling in the names to others.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Norman Smith going all Wigan Pier again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbULZ-nQ5yo
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris needs, above all, to impress Tory MPs if he's to get the PM gig. As things stand, I don't think he'll be on the final ballot - MPs have never been totally convinced that he's a sufficiently serious figure to be leader and PM, and he doesn't seem to be performing in a way which would allay those doubts.

Given that Osborne is not looking good either, get your money on Mrs May.

Given historically the Tories pick the Chancellor or Foreign Secretary in power Philip Hammond is a good bet if Osborne is done for and Remain narrowly win EU ref
    The next Leader will be from LEAVE. Two in 3 members (or more) are for LEAVE.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

What about all the anti EU rhetoric from the tabloids and most young people are more likely to have friends from other EU nations and be more attracted to the free movement principle
    I'm not sure of the reason, but it's clear that people get more Eurosceptic as they age. Peter Kellner says that polling from the 1960s onwards shows young people far more enthusiastic about the EU than older voters. But, the young people who were enthusiastic in the past, are now the middle aged and elderly voters who want to Leave.
  • Options
    Harry Cole
    Tummon stays in. Labour HQ say Lasharie remains suspended https://t.co/606VfeaeJs
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Wanderer said:

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, one of the Core Group is dead.
    And he remains the most competent in that column...
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Pulpstar said:

LondonBob said:

Alaska 67
    Hawaii 70

I'm sure that there's no risk at all of you getting into Clinton-related trouble with cricketing analogies, as the Afghanistan batsmen ruin another maiden with a tickle around the corner.
    Sanders has avoided the follow on, he is 190 runs behind though. Openers batting well for the moment.
  • Options

The Jewish Chronicle Verified account
    @JewishChron
    Chances of Corbyn dealing with Labour antisemitism are zero says @stephenpollard in his analysis of today's #PMQs
    http://www.thejc.com/comment-and-debate/analysis/155166/chances-corbyn-dealing-labour-antisemitism-are-zero
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Mr. Eagles, at least you're consistent, and gaylord ponceyboots all the time ;)

Miss Plato, that's rather nice. I'm mildly surprised there aren't full translations like that (assuming they're aren't any. Perhaps there are?).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

I'm not sure of the reason, but it's clear that people get more Eurosceptic as they age. Peter Kellner says that polling from the 1960s onwards shows young people far more enthusiastic about the EU than older voters. But, the young people who were enthusiastic in the past, are now the middle aged and elderly voters who want to Leave.
    Indeed but equally people get more Europhile the richer and more educated they are
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12201878/Donald-Trump-British-Muslims-arent-reporting-terror-suspects.html

Trump once again saying it how it is. Every single person who knew that Abdelsalam was hiding out in Brussels and knew his location needs to be rounded up and put away for a long time. They are as guilty as him for the atrocities committed yesterday. It's heartening to see that the Met are reporting an increase in the use of the terror hotline, but the polling still shows there are too many Muslims unwilling to speak out against criminal and terrorist acts planned by other Muslims.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12201878/Donald-Trump-British-Muslims-arent-reporting-terror-suspects.html

Trump once again saying it how it is. Every single person who knew that Abdelsalam was hiding out in Brussels and knew his location needs to be rounded up and put away for a long time. They are as guilty as him for the atrocities committed yesterday. It's heartening to see that the Met are reporting an increase in the use of the terror hotline, but the polling still shows there are too many Muslims unwilling to speak out against criminal and terrorist acts planned by other Muslims.

Careful Norman Smith will be round screaming at you.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    MaxPB said:

Theresa May is saying right now that Trump is wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/12201375/Netherlands-doesnt-have-enough-criminals-to-fill-its-prisons-as-crime-to-drop.html

The bit that got me...everything is done in English. So beware if you are a criminal in Norway or Belgium, make sure your English is up to scratch !!! So not only do you get banged up in another country, you have to speak another language too.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Is there an appeal process for Labour MPs who think they've been misclassified? For example, if you think you've been mis-categorised as 'Neutral But Not Hostile', are you allowed to apply for promotion to 'Core Group Negative'?
  • Options
    taffys said:

MaxPB said:

Theresa May is saying right now that Trump is wrong.
    She isn't still trying to push the bollocks about if we leave the EU all intelligence sharing will be stopped...
  • Options
    Meanwhile, South Yorkshire Police receives a review [concisely, they ignored claims of children being abused]:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-35873469

Also, the BBC piece refers only to female victims. From reports at the time, a third of the victims were boys.
  • Options
    . Apologists for Islamist terrorism insist it is a response to Western foreign policy, yet have no explanation for why, if that were the case, the terrorists target 20-year-olds at a rock gig rather than ministers of defence.

Or they say this terrorism is an expression of fury with Europe’s alleged mistreatment of Muslims, yet cannot explain why other groups that face prejudice — black Africans, Kurdish migrants, Jews — don’t also go to their nearest airport and blow it up.
    http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/after-brussels-how-to-hit-the-terrorists-where-it-hurts/18174#.VvKXFrOnxTc
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Boris needs, above all, to impress Tory MPs if he's to get the PM gig. As things stand, I don't think he'll be on the final ballot - MPs have never been totally convinced that he's a sufficiently serious figure to be leader and PM, and he doesn't seem to be performing in a way which would allay those doubts.

Given historically the Tories pick the Chancellor or Foreign Secretary in power Philip Hammond is a good bet if Osborne is done for and Remain narrowly win EU ref
    Do you have evidence of that
  • Options
    The list. Do the Tories have a similar list? Undoubtedly. Is airing our list in public very very funny? Absolutely.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

FPT

Received a BSE leaflet through the door, looked like one from a pizza place, all primary colours, telling me how jobs, wealth, you name it would be better/increased/etc by staying in. Totally b**sh*t stats no doubt.

Pathetic.

If that is the level of debate god help us. Then again, goodness only knows what the Leave one will look like; presumably edged in black.

At least BSE are getting their leaflets out
    Shooting of ammo before they know the target. And Vote Leave can reply - the last speech is the most important.
    It will be disinformation and fear on both sides. John Redwood the other day said on the radio that we would have £12bn extra if we left, when even Civitas, in their pro-Brexit paper last year, put it at £1bn.
    £12bn is possible, if we decide not to replace the EU spending in the UK. The realistic number is closer to £5-6bn.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, only got 1.43 into it before I had to stop (at the word 'inflammatory'). Norman Smith is a damned fool.
  • Options

The list. Do the Tories have a similar list? Undoubtedly. Is airing our list in public very very funny? Absolutely.

Not only funny but 17 mps were missed from the list. You couldn't make this stuff up
  • Options

Kinda. See my post at 1pm
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016

HYUFD said:

Been listed on here a few times. There was a piece of outside research (possibly Yougov) and also several Conservative Home surveys this year.
    Also an hour or so ago I posted on here a link to this article.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/03/andrew-lilico-unless-remain-wins-big-the-future-of-its-conservative-supporters-in-government-looks-doomed.html
  • Options

. Apologists for Islamist terrorism insist it is a response to Western foreign policy, yet have no explanation for why, if that were the case, the terrorists target 20-year-olds at a rock gig rather than ministers of defence.

Or they say this terrorism is an expression of fury with Europe’s alleged mistreatment of Muslims, yet cannot explain why other groups that face prejudice — black Africans, Kurdish migrants (*),, Jews — don’t also go to their nearest airport and blow it up.
    http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/after-brussels-how-to-hit-the-terrorists-where-it-hurts/18174#.VvKXFrOnxTc

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/19/istanbul-hit-by-deadly-bomb-attack

(*)Last Sunday suicide bombers killed 37 people at a bus stop in the Turkish capital, Ankara. The militant Kurdistan freedom falcons (Tak) claimed responsibility for the attack.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Been listed on here a few times. There was a piece of outside research (possibly Yougov) and also several Conservative Home surveys this year.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/03/andrew-lilico-unless-remain-wins-big-the-future-of-its-conservative-supporters-in-government-looks-doomed.html
    ContinuityIDS is not a neutral or scientific source.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

HYUFD said:

But those sources sadly don't match your repeated claim.
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, only got 1.43 into it before I had to stop (at the word 'inflammatory'). Norman Smith is a damned fool.

I don't agree with Farage on lots of things, but he has highlighted that there could possibly be a tiny bit of a problem with a) arms being shipped across the EU and b) letting in millions of people to the EU area with no idea who they are and then left free to move around and c) that it is total nonsense that Out of the EU would mean no intelligence sharing. But Norman Smith can't jump down his throat fast enough.
  • Options

Is there an appeal process for Labour MPs who think they've been misclassified? For example, if you think you've been mis-categorised as 'Neutral But Not Hostile', are you allowed to apply for promotion to 'Core Group Negative'?

@corbynjokes@corbynjokes
    I'm not saying my mother-in-law doesn't like me, but I've moved her from "core group negative" to "hostile".
  • Options
    @TSE and @Big_G_NorthWales the joy of poliics/The Thick of It is when real life politics happens like a script for The Think of It.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Conservative home is not an unbiased source - it may be correct but 2 in 3 seems high to me
  • Options
    Leaving it in a HoC bar is the corker.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Kinda. See my post at 1pm
    I would have thought the list would be split into "not twats" and "twats".
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016

HYUFD said:

OK I concede that it is in the most recent survey a bigger lead than 2 for LEAVE for every 1 member wanting to REMAIN....
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/03/58-per-cent-of-party-members-tell-our-survey-that-they-will-vote-to-leave-the-eu.html
  • Options

I'm just disappointed the groups didn't include "Red Tories" and "Actual Tories".
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Facts unfortunately do often get in the way of a good narrative.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Conservative home is a brexit site and any survey produced by it will result in a heavily pro exit result. However it does not represent the membership as a whole
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited March 2016
    Latest news on the 3rd bomber non arrest.

Belgian security forces did actually look in the right cupboard this time but mistook the milkman for an IS terrorist.

:astonished: I
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Latest news on the 3rd bomber non arrest.

Belgian security forces did actually look in the right cupboard this time but mistook the milkman for an IS terrorist.

:astonished: I

I only found out today, that the Belgium security forces are so friggin useless, that it is actually the French SAS doing a lot of the work. Not sure it is covering the French SAS is much glory either.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2016
    Core Group Negative is also a great name for a band.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Conservative home is a brexit site and any survey produced by it will result in a heavily pro exit result. However it does not represent the membership as a whole
    Not just with the Conservatives, it's happening in spades with the GOP and DEM races in the US, also see below on my terrorism post.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Indeed but equally people get more Europhile the richer and more educated they are
    I expect the strong link with age is partly because there is an element within anti-EU sentiment of hankering for a lost (or imagined) past (Britain and its Empire bestriding the world, etc.) - which is a psychological condition that comes upon us all to some extent as we go through middle age - and partly because the opportunities to work, live and study throughout the EU are (with the small exception of retirees to foreign villas) more relevant to young people.

Also, in the Ryanair era, the young have more experience of travelling within other European cultures than do older people (excepting the dual-holiday brigade who are the 'richer and more educated' more pro-EU folks mentioned above).

Further, younger people have grown up in a Britain that is multi-cultural and international, with their experience of 'nationalism' conjuring up negative connotations of political extremism to weigh against the positive ones from patriotism. The older you are, the more likely the reverse is true, because of a youth lived through war (or more likely nowadays in the decades afterwards that were culturally within its shadow), when nationalism - in Britain at least (!) - was a 'good thing' and other countries, not so much.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Have Buzzfeed done a "Are you Core Group Negative?" quiz yet?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Not only funny but 17 mps were missed from the list. You couldn't make this stuff up
    And the Jewish Chronicle hasn't been slow to spot where Jewish MPs have been listed......
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OK I concede that it is in the most recent survey a bigger lead than 2 for LEAVE for every 1 member wanting to REMAIN....
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/03/58-per-cent-of-party-members-tell-our-survey-that-they-will-vote-to-leave-the-eu.html
    The point (as you well know) is that relying on an Internet poll, yet alone a ConHome one, in this manner is ridiculous. Any Internet survey where people have to self-certify whether they are party members is absolutely rife to be gamed.

The Yougov one is possibly more accurate, but with the same sort of problems (I guess - YouGov cannot know whether respondents are members or not?)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's the authentically illiterate 'Neutral But Not Hostile' heading which convinces me this list is genuine.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Are you saying they're Core Group Negative so we should ignore them?
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Freggles said:

Core Group Negative is also a great name for a band.

Too close to Type O-Negative...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwYJYl5GUQ
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

OK all you doubters that queried the surveys of Conservative members being 2 for LEAVE for every 1 for REMAIN.............

"The reason for Johnson's lead can be answered by another question YouGov asked in the same poll — do Tory members want to leave the EU? 59% said they were planning to vote for a Brexit in the June 23 referendum, while only 31% will be voting to remain."

Now if you will not respect Conservative Home surveys that have found similar levels of preference, maybe you will accept Yougov? Josias, BG Northwales etc etc

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-boris-to-be-next-tory-leader-2016-3
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Yougov found similar figures please see my post below.
  • Options

And the Jewish Chronicle hasn't been slow to spot where Jewish MPs have been listed......

Hang on, that makes no sense. You can't say someone in Labour is being anti-semitic by assessing which MPs don't like the current leadership and including the Jewish MPs in that group. I mean you might conclude that those MPs don't like the leadership because they perceive it as anti-semitic, but that's a different point.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

OK all you doubters that queried the surveys of Conservative members being 2 for LEAVE for every 1 for REMAIN.............

"The reason for Johnson's lead can be answered by another question YouGov asked in the same poll — do Tory members want to leave the EU? 59% said they were planning to vote for a Brexit in the June 23 referendum, while only 31% will be voting to remain."

Now if you will not respect Conservative Home surveys that have found similar levels of preference, maybe you will accept Yougov? Josias, BG Northwales etc etc

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-boris-to-be-next-tory-leader-2016-3
    Surely that has the same problem of self-certification?

Over to you, TCPB.

(If you were honest, you would ignore the ConHome 'surveys' and go to the YouGov directly, which is at least professionally done).
This discussion has been closed.