Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sanders runs Hillary pretty close in latest round of primar

Comments

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Polruan said:

glw said:

Polruan said:

I don't want to kick off the normal discussion about whether we are better equipped to protect ourselves from terrorism in or out of the EU, but I'm fairly sure that Cameron is the more skilled of the players at using the general sense of fear caused by the Brussels attacks and other events to further his cause.

You have more faith in Cameron's abilities than I do then, in his position I would avoid linking the two issues.
    That's what dog whistles are for, right?

Generalised unease drives people to vote for the status quo. The trick is not to make anything so specific that it's susceptible to an argument on the underlying logic of the threat which could demonstrate that actually the status quo is more dangerous. Or at least make sure that's so far down the line from initial claim, counter claim, and smear of "playing politics with this issue" that everyone except the nerds has lost interest in the discussion.

Do you think that generalised unease about immigration will drive people to vote for the status quo? That looks to me like a huge calling card for Leave. It's not something that can or will be delivered on, but it is very strong card to play to win the referendum itself.
    I think that depends how it's played. Immigration is a big issue for a large minority who are committed Leavers already. I don't see an absolute immigration=terrorism view which means immigration is more a matter of annoyance than fear for many. Unless Leave go big on "we will end immigration!!!!" (which for reasons you have pointed out they probably can't) and try and whip up fear around the terrorist threat from immigrants then I don't see it being fought on this ground.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Dearie me

Salon
    Tintin’s racist history: This symbol of Brussels solidarity is uncomfortably divisive https://t.co/fo7XH1wu7M https://t.co/eRU5dO3LAe

"TinTin in the Congo" is really quite racist (though more in a patronising "africans as children" way rather than malicious). The treatment of animals is the most shocking thing to modern eyes though!

TinTin and the Blue Lotus (set in 1930s China) depicts the Japanese very badly, but the Chinese as long suffering and courageous. Etc etc.

Mostly TinTin is a reflection of attitudes of the times, with national stereotypes as the butt of the jokes, but usually affectionately. Many Tin Tin stories show him treating foreigners with courtesey and respect, freeing the african slaves being traffiked by Rastopopolous in The Crab with the Golden Claws for example. Indeed the rapracious villans are white Europeans!
    Considering the treatment the Japanese meted out to the Chinese, at the time, I imagine that was fair comment.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'It will be disinformation and fear on both sides. John Redwood the other day said on the radio that we would have £12bn extra if we left, when even Civitas, in their pro-Brexit paper last year, put it at £1bn.'

£1.7bn. And that estimate refers specifically to the UK adopting a Norwegian-style arrangement with similar UK payments to the EU (per head) to those current paid by Norway.
  • Options
    Entertaining scenes from Arizona - democrat voters made to queue for hours then told they can't vote. We're I a suspicious man I'd consider if the powers that be wanted a low turnout...

http://usuncut.com/news/arizona-polling-disaster/
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Not that it matters much

CBS
    Jeb Bush endorses Ted Cruz, via @JaxAlemany https://t.co/m5T1tCQqNt
  • Options
    We're going to lose to Afghanistan.
  • Options

Dearie me

Salon
    Tintin’s racist history: This symbol of Brussels solidarity is uncomfortably divisive https://t.co/fo7XH1wu7M https://t.co/eRU5dO3LAe

"TinTin in the Congo" is really quite racist (though more in a patronising "africans as children" way rather than malicious). The treatment of animals is the most shocking thing to modern eyes though!

TinTin and the Blue Lotus (set in 1930s China) depicts the Japanese very badly, but the Chinese as long suffering and courageous. Etc etc.

Mostly TinTin is a reflection of attitudes of the times, with national stereotypes as the butt of the jokes, but usually affectionately. Many Tin Tin stories show him treating foreigners with courtesey and respect, freeing the african slaves being traffiked by Rastopopolous in The Crab with the Golden Claws for example. Indeed the rapracious villans are white Europeans!

They are superb social documents and give a real insight into the "liberal" thinking of that period. They probably are racist, but so what? Dickens is profoundly anti-Semitic, as was Hemingway (who was also a racist). They were of their time. And that fact does not diminish their greatness.
    A bit like Corbyn and McDonnell....?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

'There are going to be a lot of very, very angry Leave voters should Leave win. '

You keep repeating that week after week,presumably based on your hope that after a Leave vote we will join EFTA, if we are not part of EFTA or EEA we can of course have our own independent immigration policy.

You already know that but it doesn't fit with project Fear..

It's based on my belief that we will sign up to an EFTA/EEA deal because it will be the Tories doing the Brexit deal and the Tories will want to retain free movement of goods, services and capital.

If the Tories try to face the 2020 electorate having left immigration as is, they will lose.

It still remains unclear why the EU would be willing to jeopardise the 2m jobs and £61bn trade surplus it has, just so that Romanians can come to Britain.
  • Options

Mr. Abroad, Mr. Charles isn't floundering. Your perspective on both freedom/security and the quote is flawed.

I take it you don't believe in universal suffrage, either.

I sometimes wonder how many right-wing Peebies think we've had a truly tory leader since Wellington...

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    England conspiring to entertain the Afghan crowd in the T20 match .... :smile:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

You go off to have a brief meeting and everything falls apart. 3 wickets in an over including a run out! What the hell?
    And now Buttler's gone. With a crap bowling attack we need our tail to wag like never before.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Polruan said:

Dearie me

Salon

They are superb social documents and give a real insight into the "liberal" thinking of that period. They probably are racist, but so what? Dickens is profoundly anti-Semitic, as was Hemingway (who was also a racist). They were of their time. And that fact does not diminish their greatness.

Ha, ha - recent events have shown just how unsuitable Corbyn and McDonnell are as Labour leaders. National security is a huge issue to ordinary voters and neither has the credentials to provide any reassurance.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Abroad, your comment is bizarre.

Only one of us was wondering if we should give up democracy for security, and it wasn't me.
  • Options
    Yes...if only we had Lord Sidmouth as Home Secretary and Lord Braxfield as Lord Chancellor...that would sort it.
  • Options
    JackW said:

You have to admire England's obstinate refusal to become a good T20 and one day team.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Bernie Sanders would CRUSH Trump in Utah amusingly - not clear cut with Clinton.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DavidL said:

You go off to have a brief meeting and everything falls apart. 3 wickets in an over including a run out! What the hell?
    And now Buttler's gone. With a crap bowling attack we need our tail to wag like never before.
    England need @SeanT to post that Morgan and Co are doomed to utter failure and they are the worst ever team to tour in the history of the game .... :smile:
  • Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

England need @SeanT to post that Morgan and Co are doomed to utter failure and they are the worst ever team to tour in the history of the game .... :smile:

This would surely be England's most humiliating defeat ever.

• Options

JackW said:

You have to admire England's obstinate refusal to become a good T20 and one day team.

6 down. Nice work.
  • Options
    Michael Horowitz
    He used a fake ID (under the name Soufiane Kayal) to cross the border between Austria and Hungary last September #Brussels

He was accompanied by two men: Salah Abdeslam, who was recently arrested, and possibly Mohamed Belkaid who was killed in Forest #Brussels

Najim Laachraoui traveled to #Syria in 2013
  • Options
    Polruan said:

JackW said:

6 down. Nice work.

The only way we win from here is to bowl them out.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    runnymede said:

'It will be disinformation and fear on both sides. John Redwood the other day said on the radio that we would have £12bn extra if we left, when even Civitas, in their pro-Brexit paper last year, put it at £1bn.'

£1.7bn. And that estimate refers specifically to the UK adopting a Norwegian-style arrangement with similar UK payments to the EU (per head) to those current paid by Norway.

Y - £1.7bn.

So although a lot of ifs (if we leave, if we go Norway EEA, etc) then £1.7bn.

I mean mindful of Dirksen's classic quote, still not exactly earth-changing..
  • Options

Entertaining scenes from Arizona - democrat voters made to queue for hours then told they can't vote. We're I a suspicious man I'd consider if the powers that be wanted a low turnout...

The candidate that situation favours is Hillary Clinton.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The candidate that situation favours is Hillary Clinton.
    Job done then by the local democratic establishment
  • Options

Polruan said:

Dearie me

Salon

Ha, ha - recent events have shown just how unsuitable Corbyn and McDonnell are as Labour leaders. National security is a huge issue to ordinary voters and neither has the credentials to provide any reassurance.

Actually I think McDonnell could manage it. There's not exactly a lack of "terrorist sympathisers" or "dictator supporters" (let alone actual terrorists) who have been able to reinvent themselves. Corbyn is more of a problem, because of his inability to project a clear, strong, reassuring message without being sidetracked into a brief dissertation on the rights of terrorists' families and the tragedy it might be for their parents to be killed/locked up (for example).
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016

Foxgoose
    The penny finally starts to drop for the Belgian Interior Minister. https://t.co/1DY84qkrPY

America places an emphasis on the citizen's pride in the nation state. It is called patriotism. Belgium clearly does not and is fragmented by language.

Are we any better? Our national broadcaster ran a 30 minute "comedy slot" from Stewart Lee (Guardian writer) which focused on a story of his cat cr*pping on the English flag and him singing parts of the national anthem interspersed with farting sounds.
  • Options
    I see Boris has now said he does not want a Canada-style Brexit agreement with the EU. Bless him.
  • Options
    "Dan Jones & Associates" polls are worse than useless.
  • Options
    Boris not doing brilliantly this morning?

https://twitter.com/RichardAENorth/status/712585383276580864
  • Options
    'I mean mindful of Dirksen's classic quote, still not exactly earth-changing..'

Well I disagree. The Norwegian option is in my view greatly preferable to the current arrangements, as has been discussed at length on here.

No CAP, no CFP, no integration of home affairs and justice, no wasteful MEPs etc. etc. Minimal changes to current trading arrangements and freedom to negotiate FTAs outside the EU. Even more wiggle room on immigration.

And a budgetary saving as well.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Dearie me

Salon

Actually I think McDonnell could manage it. There's not exactly a lack of "terrorist sympathisers" or "dictator supporters" (let alone actual terrorists) who have been able to reinvent themselves. Corbyn is more of a problem, because of his inability to project a clear, strong, reassuring message without being sidetracked into a brief dissertation on the rights of terrorists' families and the tragedy it might be for their parents to be killed/locked up (for example).

Hmmm. I am not sure that British voters will flock to support a party led by a man who openly and vociferously advocated support for an organisation whose aim was to force British citizens by bullet and bomb into a foreign country against their wishes.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Historically accurate
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    edited March 2016
    Twitter meme of the day.

Matthew P Doyle ‏@MatthewDoyle31 3 hrs3 hours ago
    I confronted a Muslim women yesterday in Croydon. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.

At last, someone doing something concrete to stamp out this murderous extremism.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Dearie me

Salon

Hmmm. I am not sure that British voters will flock to support a party led by a man who openly and vociferously advocated support for an organisation whose aim was to force British citizens by bullet and bomb into a foreign country against their wishes.

The Irish have never been British. That was the whole point of Nationalism, pacific or murderous.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Questions for Ian Lavery, MP, Shadow Trades Union Shadow Minister

https://storify.com/hopisen/defending-good-unions-doesn-t-mean-protecting-bad-
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

England's way of saying "sorry guys" to those Afghan interpreters?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

Boris not doing brilliantly this morning?

https://twitter.com/RichardAENorth/status/712585383276580864

I second Richard North's view. Utter, utter idiot.

The EU is "in charge of trade deals" in that EU members jointly decided on trade policy where necessarily there are compromises and disappointments but everyone ends up playing by the same rules in a more efficient manner.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408

Dearie me

Salon

Churchill also held what would today be considered profoundly racist views.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Dearie me

Salon

Depends how you play it, doesn't it? "Different times, different places but I got it wrong and have apologised for that. But look at my opponents who are still endangering British people by their support for (insert unsavoury ISIS enabling regime of your choice here) and haven't apologised. That's the risk to the nation's security today."

Obviously he'd need to be happy to apologise. Might be a challenge.
  • Options

Foxgoose
    The penny finally starts to drop for the Belgian Interior Minister. https://t.co/1DY84qkrPY

America places an emphasis on the citizen's pride in the nation state. It is called patriotism. Belgium clearly does not and is fragmented by language.

Are we any better? Our national broadcaster ran a 30 minute "comedy slot" from Stewart Lee (Guardian writer) which focused on a story of his cat cr*pping on the English flag and him singing parts of the national anthem interspersed with farting sounds.
    Stewart Lee is the countries greatest living comedian. I have not seen the routine you describe but it possibly wasn't for you.

I reserve the right to call you a comedy philistine at a later point.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Twitter meme of the day.

I confronted a Muslim women yesterday in Croydon. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.

At last, someone doing something concrete to stamp out this murderous extremism.

It's a parody.
  • Options

Foxgoose

Stewart Lee is a shock jock.

He does what Frankie Boyle does, except without any of the lightheartedness and cheeky smile.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Dearie me

Salon

Depends how you play it, doesn't it? "Different times, different places but I got it wrong and have apologised for that. But look at my opponents who are still endangering British people by their support for (insert unsavoury ISIS enabling regime of your choice here) and haven't apologised. That's the risk to the nation's security today."

Yep, that's true. A full and believable apology might change things. And that is McDonnell's problem.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited March 2016
    Just think, exactly three months to go EURef day.

Three more months discussing the EU ref fills me to the brim with girlish glee.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    RodCrosby said:

Mind-boggling statistic of the week...
    "In addition [to the 40 RNC delegates] , the [Utah] Precinct Caucuses elect approximately 4,000 delegates to the County and State Conventions"
    http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/UT-R

4000?
    To do what, exactly?

Find yet another wife?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, more important things happen first. Not long until the Bahrain Grand Prix.
  • Options

Mr. Max, not only that, it'll further centralise power away from nation-states and in the hands of the bureaucrats.

Perhaps we need to choose between democracy and freedom from terrorism. ( I genuinely don't know, or even know how to make the assessment.)

It matters not if 999 Muslims out of a thousand are as appalled as anyone else by such attacks - the terrorists don't need that many recruits, after all.

How did you arrive at the 999 appalled out of a 1000? Survey evidence I've seen from time to time doesn't back you up, and the reaction of Molenbeek locals last week didn't seem to fit this figure.
  • Options

Whatever happens it should be a decent payday for me and my wife and I are off on holiday to Thailand (no, not with SeanT) the week after.

So, something to look forward to.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, more important things happen first. Not long until the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Less than 36 hours until I see Batman v Superman
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxgoose

Stewart Lee is the countries greatest living comedian. I have not seen the routine you describe but it possibly wasn't for you.

I reserve the right to call you a comedy philistine at a later point.
    Just whatchig the routine now, so far it is about 10 minutes of what names he called his pets.

I think you might not 'get' Mr Lee
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, unless we vote Leave, at which point every airport in the UK will be swallowed by a Hellmouth :p
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    edited March 2016
    Polruan said:

Thanks. From what I can see of the maths, and assuming that super delegates will have a legitimacy issue if they effectively reverse the public vote, it's rather closer to needing 150 off 10, with wickets in hand, and scoring 15 off the over (maybe for the loss of one wicket). That is to say it's challenging but by no means out of the question.

Presumably expectation management comes into it too - not sure how these states came out compared with realistic expectations and whether this was over/underperformance for either candidate.

In principle yes, but Sanders does need to be the clear choice of the Voters by convention time to make the superdelegates think again. In British terms, it's as though Yvette and Jeremy were battling it out for the Labour leadership and somewhere around 50-50 in mmbers' votes, with a bunch of veteran Labour organisers, MPs and peers having superdelegate votes. Would they then have opted for Jeremy? No.

As it stands he's merely the closish runner-up, both in delegates and the national polls. I think he does have a chance if something dreadful happened to Hillary's campaign between now and then, as he's certainly done respectably, but otherwise it will be close but no cigar. There will be some quiet negotiations on how far Hillary will embrace bits of his platform in exchange for the warmth of his endorsement.

I do agree with your original observation that the media report these things lazily!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172

Twitter meme of the day.

It's a parody.
    You think?

https://twitter.com/MatthewDoyle31/status/712249201959313408

https://twitter.com/MatthewDoyle31/status/712239322292998144

Strangely, Matty boy has deleted his brilliantly successful, parodic tweet.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Dearie me

Salon

Churchill also held what would today be considered profoundly racist views.
    Most of the indian subcontinent today hold views that wouldn't be "acceptable".

The english really do need to get a life.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, was surprised by the very positive response it seems to be getting.
  • Options

Whatever happens it should be a decent payday for me and my wife and I are off on holiday to Thailand (no, not with SeanT) the week after.

So, something to look forward to.
    Same here, I'm off to the States for a fortnight on the 26th.

If someone could nobble Graham Brady's postman between the 24th June and the 10th of July, would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Looks like Boris is not helping leave case in front of the Treasury Select Committee. The Chairman, Andrew Tyrie accuses Boris of taking a "partial, busking, humorous approach to a very serious question for the UK".
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, was surprised by the very positive response it seems to be getting.

Has been getting lukewarm reviews.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Twitter meme of the day.

It's a parody.
    You think?

https://twitter.com/MatthewDoyle31/status/712249201959313408

https://twitter.com/MatthewDoyle31/status/712239322292998144

Strangely, Matty boy has deleted his brilliantly successful, parodic tweet.
    Ah, maybe you're right.
  • Options
    Beats the photocopier

Paul Waugh
    But real news seems to be some Labour whips have concluded Katy Clark did write the #TheList - and that she left it in a Commons bar.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you'll know better than me, but I thought the great unwashed loved it and the reviewers were a bit cool about it.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Yep, that's true. A full and believable apology might change things. And that is McDonnell's problem.

I don't think anything can nullify the IRA-hugging in McDonnell's past. I get the impression that he has discovered that, now he is on the front bench, he is ambitious for office and that if he could he would go back in time and stop himself saying that stuff. But he can't and is permanently and fatally damaged by it.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, unless we vote Leave, at which point every airport in the UK will be swallowed by a Hellmouth :p

Lolz!

If we vote Leave I expect precisely nothing to happen, and life will carry on.

The Government will very quickly whip out its contingency plan, that it's had all along, and annouce how it will proceed, the cabinet will be swiftly reshuffled over the weekend, and the markets will calm down on Monday.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited March 2016

Mr. Eagles, you'll know better than me, but I thought the great unwashed loved it and the reviewers were a bit cool about it.

My friend has seen it, he said it will be an opinion splitter.

Some will love it, some will consider it dire, a bit like Man of Steel.

Though everyone will love Gal Godot as Wonder Woman.

I would do horrible, unforgivable things for a chance for her to use her 'lasso of truth' on me
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Wanderer said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

I don't think anything can nullify the IRA-hugging in McDonnell's past. I get the impression that he has discovered that, now he is on the front bench, he is ambitious for office and that if he could he would go back in time and stop himself saying that stuff. But he can't and is permanently and fatally damaged by it.
    Would that be Martin McGuinnes who had lunch [ luncheon ? ] with the Queen ? Was he invited to Buck House ?

Every time the IRA connection is brought up, the reply will be you mean McGuinnes who had lunch with the Queen and Adams who had lunch with Bonnie Prince Charlie.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Lolz!

If we vote Leave I expect precisely nothing to happen, and life will carry on.

The Government will very quickly whip out its contingency plan, that it's had all along, and annouce how it will proceed, the cabinet will be swiftly reshuffled over the weekend, and the markets will calm down on Monday.
    Without going all Hunchman, I would expect the markets to get rather jittery and decline over the next 3 months as they so dislike uncertainty. They would bounce back quickly with a Remain vote, but I think would be even more jittery with a Leave. As well as the uncertainty of what Leave means, there would be concern as to whether it would collapse the govt or break up the UK via Sindyref 2.

Mostly problems in the short term, I expect, but I have altered my investments in preparation.
  • Options

Looks like Boris is not helping leave case in front of the Treasury Select Committee. The Chairman, Andrew Tyrie accuses Boris of taking a "partial, busking, humorous approach to a very serious question for the UK".

Andrew Tyrie managed Ken Clarke's campaign in 2001, and refused petulantly to join IDS's shadow cabinet due to ideological differences. He managed Ken Clarke's again in 2005, having failed to learn his lesson.

He is not only pro-EU; he is pro-euro.
  • Options

Andrew Tyrie managed Ken Clarke's campaign in 2001, and refused petulantly to join IDS's shadow cabinet due to ideological differences. He managed Ken Clarke's again in 2005, having failed to learn his lesson.

Boris was also on team Ken Clarke in the 2001 leadership election
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Wanderer said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Actually I think McDonnell could manage it.

Would that be Martin McGuinnes who had lunch [ luncheon ? ] with the Queen ? Was he invited to Buck House ?

Every time the IRA connection is brought up, the reply will be you mean McGuinnes who had lunch with the Queen and Adams who had lunch with Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Martin McGuinness will never lead the Labour party or seek to be the PM of the UK.

• Options
    He even, in his trademark style, explains the joke right after doing the anthem/cat diarrhea section. It's about context.

The cats called Jeremy Corbyn! I know he said the name was irrelevant but it's not.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Pulpstar said:

Bloody hell, the polling failure in Idaho and Utah is off the charts bad on the democrat side.

Sanders led in polls in both states
  • Options

When we do flyers for work we count on a 1% - 2% conversion rate. Can't see the Remain leaflet - which we got today as well - getting close to 150,000 "buyers", let alone 300,000. Seems like a complete waste of time to me.

Given EU ref will go to the wire even if just a tiny minority switch to Remain it will have been worth it
  • Options

This bloke is campaigning for Leave:

https://twitter.com/RichardAENorth?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

• Options
    Well quite.

One often needs to look at the provenance of political opinion, it really does make quite a difference to the slant

• Options
    JackW said:

As voting concludes it would appear that Kiwis have opted to retain the current flag by a significant majority :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/23/new-zealand-flag-change-as-voting-ends-poll-shows-little-hope-for-new-design

A boost for monarchist in New Zealand
  • Options

Foxgoose

Stewart Lee is a shock jock.
    He does what Frankie Boyle does, except without any of the lightheartedness and cheeky smile.
    Fine then do not complain when a country nurtures people who have no respect for it and its way of life.
  • Options

He's right about Boris though. He's entertaining but he's not Prime Ministerial.
  • Options
    Wes Streeting skewering Boris with his own past words and in general.

Boris will never be PM on this performance.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, glad to hear that. Flags shouldn't be changed willy-nilly.
  • Options
    Interesting article on the post referendum future for REMAIN ministers. Doomed.
    Much as some of us wrote many weeks ago... If Osborne was a strategic genius he should have thought this through and backed LEAVE.

"The great irony of all this is that many commentators had assumed that it would be pro-Leave MPs and ministers that would damage their careers. Actually, it is the Remain-ers that have done so. Unless they think Remain can win by more than 20 per cent, their personal ambition now depends upon a vote to Leave."

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/03/andrew-lilico-unless-remain-wins-big-the-future-of-its-conservative-supporters-in-government-looks-doomed.html
  • Options
    Once I can find my debit card, I'm sticking a lot of money on Theresa May as next Tory leader and laying Boris like one of his mistresses
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD Posts: 27
    In this thread are traitorous socialists who do not understand the difference between meeting someone and supporting their terrorist campaign against the British people.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

Wanderer said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Actually I think McDonnell could manage it.

Martin McGuinness will never lead the Labour party or seek to be the PM of the UK.

This IRA bit is old hat ! Didn't seem to do too much harm to Livingstone.

Nonetheless, whenever the IRA connection is raised, the Queen having lunch with him should be dragged up to show if it was good enough for the Queen to mix with this lot, then it was good enough for Corbyn too !

If they are all murdering thugs, the Queen, surely, should not have invited one of them, right ?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    surbiton said:

Do you think going on about how the shadow chancellor or leader of the Labour Party is just like Martin McGuinness is your best strategy?
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    Breaking News. Labour press release.
    In view of Mr Corbyns abject performances at recent PMQs Labour will be piloting a fresh initiative from today. Ventriloquy.
    Hilary Benn will speak the words so that they make sense.
    Mr Corbyn will be present and will move his lips as the words are spoken. This should reassure the 3 quid membership.
    Diane Abbott will work Mr Corbyn from behind in a move that will reassure the equal opportunities lobby.
    This arrangement should work well. Mr Benn will not of course complain about the tax on a bottle of beer.
  • Options
    Belgian police aren't covering themselves in glory again

Frank Gardner
    Belgian media now saying arrested man was misidentified and he is NOT key suspect Najim Laachraoui #BrusselsAttacks
  • Options
    If LEAVE get a lead of say 5-10 points which will be first to happen?

1. A few REMAIN MPs or even ministers changing their minds and baking LEAVE
    2. Cameron claiming further EU reforms might be possible (The Vow Mk.2)
    3. Richard Nabavi spontaneously combusting?
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    The only two counties in AZ that Cruz ran Trump close were Navajo and Graham which are Mormon areas, 20% and 25% respectively. In SoCal and NM only Catron County in NM has a significant Mormon population at 20%, so the AZ result reads even better for Trump. The other good news for Trump is there is a mere scattering of Mormons in Montana and Washington, and negligible elsewhere.

Sanders did do very well, HRC stumbles on, ever reliant on the superdelegates.
  • Options
    Time to check out the odds on Wes Streeting as next Labour leader. He's really got Boris on the ropes. Something Labour have rarely managed
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016

Frank Gardner
    Belgian media now saying arrested man was misidentified and he is NOT key suspect Najim Laachraoui #BrusselsAttacks

https://swansongcosplay.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dupont_dupond.jpg

He's behind you....its not friggin panto season.
  • Options

Time to check out the odds on Wes Streeting as next Labour leader. He's really got Boris on the ropes. Something Labour have rarely managed

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/parents-threaten-children-with-eddie-mair-2013032563652
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    LondonBob said:

The only two counties in AZ that Cruz ran Trump close were Navajo and Graham which are Mormon areas, 20% and 25% respectively. In SoCal and NM only Catron County in NM has a significant Mormon population at 20%, so the AZ result reads even better for Trump. The other good news for Trump is there is a mere scattering of Mormons in Montana and Washington, and negligible elsewhere.

Sanders did do very well, HRC stumbles on, ever reliant on the superdelegates.

I've posted targets for Sanders and Hillary on my profile (For HRC to win WITHOUT superdelegates)

Alaska 67
    Hawaii 70
    Washington 67 <- Most important

Sanders needs to beat in the next lot.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Frank Gardner

These muslims all look the same to me.
  • Options
    Q: Is there a free trade agreement that gives full access to financial services?

Johnsons says he is not aware of one.

Tyrie says he thinks the answer is no.

Johnson concedes there is no precedent for a country having a free trade deal with the EU giving full access to financial services.
  • Options
    AndrewD said:

In this thread are traitorous socialists who do not understand the difference between meeting someone and supporting their terrorist campaign against the British people.

**waves to AndrewD**
  • Options
    "Writing in the Evening Standard, Hamish McRae cites Open Europe’s Brexit report noting, “The most calm and moderate assessment of the economics that I have found comes from Open Europe, a think-tank that is itself neutral on the issue but is broadly in favour of market solutions to economic issues, rather than regulated ones. The study was done a year ago and its conclusion was that at worst, were the UK to leave the EU, its GDP would be 2.2% lower in 2030 than it would have been were we to stay in. And at best it would be 1.6% higher. Those are extreme results, and a more realistic range would be minus 0.8% to plus 0.6%…There are many other assessments, some more negative as to the costs of Brexit, but the Open Europe proposition that the impact either way would not be huge seems to me a decent place to start.”"
    http://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/markets-and-bookmakers-see-increased-chance-of-brexit-following-brussels-attacks/#section-2
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

surbiton said:

Do you think going on about how the shadow chancellor or leader of the Labour Party is just like Martin McGuinness is your best strategy?
    Maybe something about how times move on, and there can be peace and reconciliation... just look how certain Tories sequentially campaigned for Mandela's execution and beatification.
This discussion has been closed.