Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For someone who’s got reputation for laziness Cameron’s run

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Completely off topic, good piece about the current Premier League season:

http://www.football365.com/news/leicester-premier-league-who-wants-to-go-back-to-normal-now

Whoever wins it this year will be the worst team in premier league history to do so
    Even if Arsenal pull it out the bag :D ?

How do you see the odds for the title race out of interest.
    Leicester probably need 5 more wins to be out of reach of everyone else.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    OllyT said:

Agreed. There was a question mark about how much damage Romney and last weeks debate had had plus that one ARG poll that put Kaisch 2% up in Michigan. Looks like that was a complete rogue now. Clinton is home and dry and it looks like Trump could wrap it up in the next ten days. Wins in Michigan, Florida, Ohio and Illinois would just about seal it and he has huge poll leads in each.

ARG - Arrrggghhhh - for a reason.

The Clinton/Trump Michigan Marist/WSJ/NBC poll from yesterday 52/36 was hair raising for the The Donald.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited March 2016
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

http://www.football365.com/news/leicester-premier-league-who-wants-to-go-back-to-normal-now

Whoever wins it this year will be the worst team in premier league history to do so
    I think if Arsenal somehow managed to do it they'd certainly be the worst Arsenal side to have won the title. But I think Leicester have been excellent. If they can beat United's 75 point total from 1996-97 then I think it would be unfair to describe them as the worst team to win it.
    Hmmm Leicester have been good no doubt, but united in 97 also got to the champs league Semis and id fancy that side to beat the current Leicester one, although that is just my view of course

Yes the Arsenal are no better or worse than the last 4-5 seasons... Having the two centre midfielders and Sanchez out from Nov to Feb hasn't helped but injuries are part and parcel for every team.

Bad finishing is our problem. Created far more chances in the danger zone than any other team, but have missed them

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

New Michigan polls out (FOX 2 Detroit) All post-debate fieldwork. Trump 22% ahead and Clinton 37% ahead. Now, where's Speedy gone to?

The one clear lay in the POTUS market is Sanders. I make him to be 400 delegates behind in a week's time.

My ST forecast was 3 delegates out btw ;)
    That would be great news for Sanders - he's already 800 adrift currently.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Apropos the earlier '`Surgeon suspended after Hijab row'.......the Sun might have wanted to do a little digging on their 'victim'

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.id/2016/03/sun-nhs-hijab-splash-busted.html?m=1

Point out what he has said that isn't true?
    I don't know.

Neither do you.

Because it appears to be single sourced

Sloppy journalism at best.....

And forgive me for being a trifle sceptical - but the veracity of a self confessed Islamophobe on the matter surely raises the odd question?
    "Islamisation of Europe is a process that is unstoppable and probably irreversible"

All seem factual enough to me
    Do you see a majority Muslim Europe within our lifetimes?

Probably not, but there doesn't need to be a majority for it to happen
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Even if Arsenal pull it out the bag :D ?

How do you see the odds for the title race out of interest.
    Yes even then!

I don't know really, I haven't really looked at it. An exciting season though, the best for years
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

A bit of an odd question:

I found a dead deer in our garden yesterday (deer being common visitors here in Argyll & Bute). I called the council and they say if it is not in the roadway they won't take it.

Options:

a) take it to the road and dump it there (thus offending my neighbours);

b) throw it in the communal skips at the bottom of our driveway (which the council will no longer drive along to collect our rubbish, even though private sector firms are happy to deal with the potholes);

Is either option legal? Is there a better option? I have no car and I don't eat meat fwiw!

Dump it in the road further away from your neighbours? Bury it? Call up the local farmer/hunt and get him to remove it?
    No local hunt afaik. The local farmer (whose sheep often come into the garden) doesn't seem too bothered with collecting his own dead sheep (or fencing his sheep in) so I doubt he would be helpful.
    Sounds like you should move to London.
    for the traffic fumes and the trying too hard?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

New Michigan polls out (FOX 2 Detroit) All post-debate fieldwork. Trump 22% ahead and Clinton 37% ahead. Now, where's Speedy gone to?

The one clear lay in the POTUS market is Sanders. I make him to be 400 delegates behind in a week's time.

I'm giving Sanders a best case scenario that Supers change their mind if he gets 2026 delegates from the regular voting :p
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

Tories split asunder on European matters yet again. Scars reopened that didn't heal quickly the first time, and the fact Brexit looms large over the upcoming leadership election is not a good omen this time round either.

Labour suffering dismal, sub-Milibandesque polling, a front bench devoid of most of the party's talent, and a parliamentary party virtually at war with its mass membership, who seem intent on saddling it with unelectable leadership for the foreseeable future.

UKIP, the wannabe-third-party, showing typically self-destructive tendencies, an inability to go beyond "Project Nige" and no sign of an upswing in its electoral fortunes any time soon, even as their pet issue hogs the TV screens.

Paddy Ashdown must stare watching the news on his telly some evenings thinking "where the hell did it all go wrong?" The right man, in the right place, at the right time, and the Lib Dems could be ahead of this shower right now, or at least locking horns in serious contention for the number two slot. Even Nick Clegg must wonder "if only..."

Wonder if he blames himself for the cabfull. Or is it all just the electorate's fault?

The LD decision to enter the Coalition must be the greatest strategic error made by any British political party for at least a century.
    Was there any other option, remembering the dire financial problems at the time and the way the parliamentary arithmetic worked out?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    America Elects
    Clinton has a huge lead in Michigan:

Clinton 66
    Sanders 29

(FOX 2 3/6 - 3/6)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Pendleton confirmed for Cheltenham, I see.

Shame on Betfair and the lot of them, for that matter.
  • Options
    Threat of deportation of 92-year-old Myrtle Cothill is lifted https://t.co/FMgpBJZgLy
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

I'm giving Sanders a best case scenario that Supers change their mind if he gets 2026 delegates from the regular voting :p
    I award you second prize for optimism after the late lamented @Cromwell
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Tories split asunder on European matters yet again. Scars reopened that didn't heal quickly the first time, and the fact Brexit looms large over the upcoming leadership election is not a good omen this time round either.

Labour suffering dismal, sub-Milibandesque polling, a front bench devoid of most of the party's talent, and a parliamentary party virtually at war with its mass membership, who seem intent on saddling it with unelectable leadership for the foreseeable future.

UKIP, the wannabe-third-party, showing typically self-destructive tendencies, an inability to go beyond "Project Nige" and no sign of an upswing in its electoral fortunes any time soon, even as their pet issue hogs the TV screens.

Paddy Ashdown must stare watching the news on his telly some evenings thinking "where the hell did it all go wrong?" The right man, in the right place, at the right time, and the Lib Dems could be ahead of this shower right now, or at least locking horns in serious contention for the number two slot. Even Nick Clegg must wonder "if only..."

Wonder if he blames himself for the cabfull. Or is it all just the electorate's fault?

The LD decision to enter the Coalition must be the greatest strategic error made by any British political party for at least a century.
    Was there any other option, remembering the dire financial problems at the time and the way the parliamentary arithmetic worked out?
    They had always said that they wanted coalition that coalitions were more democratic. It was their USP. But in the end they showed themselves up as just the usual bunch of lefties.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

I agree on sanders.

Not prepared to lose all my trading profit on the off chance he wins, but I've balanced my book against him and only him.

POTUS

Trump/Cruz/Sanders +3
    Hillary & basically everyone else +6.5
    Romney/Ryan +silly

GOP

Trump/Cruz +2.3
    Everyone else -+0

I'm working on the assumption Cruz/Trump will be >2/1 head to head vs Hillary.

Possibly even 4/1 once the dust settles.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

A bit of an odd question:

I found a dead deer in our garden yesterday (deer being common visitors here in Argyll & Bute). I called the council and they say if it is not in the roadway they won't take it.

Options:

a) take it to the road and dump it there (thus offending my neighbours);

b) throw it in the communal skips at the bottom of our driveway (which the council will no longer drive along to collect our rubbish, even though private sector firms are happy to deal with the potholes);

Is either option legal? Is there a better option? I have no car and I don't eat meat fwiw!

Dump it in the road further away from your neighbours? Bury it? Call up the local farmer/hunt and get him to remove it?
    No local hunt afaik. The local farmer (whose sheep often come into the garden) doesn't seem too bothered with collecting his own dead sheep (or fencing his sheep in) so I doubt he would be helpful.
    Sounds like you should move to London.
    for the traffic fumes and the trying too hard?
    amongst other attractions, yes.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

There are always options. Part of the skill of a leadership lies in seeing them and weighing them up objectively.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

If Sanders wins the elected delegate count, there will be outrage if the supers swing it to Hillary (and, no doubt, dark references to Tammany Hall).

If the conference nevertheless stick with Hillary, in that circumstance Dem turnout in the general takes a big hit, even with Trump or Cruz on the other side.
  • Options

Apropos the earlier '`Surgeon suspended after Hijab row'.......the Sun might have wanted to do a little digging on their 'victim'

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.id/2016/03/sun-nhs-hijab-splash-busted.html?m=1

There's so much I want to say about this story and this chap but I'll get my Dad and his colleagues (Muslim and non Muslim alike) into trouble.
    The crucial bit of information is the incident occurred 3 years ago. It is the Islamophobic blogging, which includes the story of this incident that he has been sanctioned over.
    And according to the link he has not been suspended.
    A case of hitting all the right notes by the sun but not necessarily in the right order. So that would be the Sun on form then
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Cameron's hyperactivity and reliance on scaremongering is in striking contrast to how Harold Wilson behaved in the 1975 campaign. I recall no Project Fear from either side at that time. My own instinct is that Cameron is acting out of panic - perhaps also burned by the 2014 Independence Referendum - and that he is seriously concerned at the possibility of losing this vote. I also suspect he has gone into top electioneering mode far too early and that people will become bored with his message long before June 23rd. The Leave campaign might well benefit from not going all-out until after Easter when voters become more receptive to the issues.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    justin124 said:

Cameron's hyperactivity and reliance on scaremongering is in striking contrast to how Harold Wilson behaved in the 1975 campaign. I recall no Project Fear from either side at that time. My own instinct is that Cameron is acting out of panic - perhaps also burned by the 2014 Independence Referendum - and that he is seriously concerned at the possibility of losing this vote. I also suspect he has gone into top electioneering mode far too early and that people will become bored with his message long before June 23rd. The Leave campaign might well benefit from not going all-out until after Easter when voters become more receptive to the issues.

Leavers are maybe waiting for the black swan event that does their hard work for them.

As has been pointed out earlier, its a bit like labour supporters waiting for the winter NHS crisis.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Some common sense about our Hinkley C reactor:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4706821.ece

"The cost of building it has roughly trebled before a brick has been laid. At £18 billion, or more like £24 billion including finance costs, Hinkley Point C would be the most expensive power station ever built. The Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze is its nearest rival and that generates ten times more electricity than Hinkley’s planned 3.2 gigawatts. If we spent that much on gas-fired power stations, we would get roughly 48 gigawatts of dependable capacity, or 15 times more — and each unit of electricity would cost one third as much."

It does seem absurdly expensive.
    People are waking up to the complete black hole the project is:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/07/hinkley-point-c-nuclear-project-in-crisis-as-edf-finance-director-resigns?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No idea how accurate that is, but EDF finances look to be a mess.
    Two years out of the EU and we could fund it from our savings.

Imagine that, a world where the UK is self sufficient...
    In or out the EU, paying the wrong price for a power station isn't a smart idea.
    The opponent within the EDF to the project has been sacked so it now seems likely to go ahead. (say the BBC)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

If Sanders wins the elected delegate count, there will be outrage if the supers swing it to Hillary (and, no doubt, dark references to Tammany Hall).

If the conference nevertheless stick with Hillary, in that circumstance Dem turnout in the general takes a big hit, even with Trump or Cruz on the other side.
    That's much like saying if my aunt had a huge dick then she'd vote for Donald Trump - Scarily wrong on so many levels.

Sanders is getting trampled and unless the feds send Hillary an e-mail saying it cuff time lady, then she's the nominee both with elected delegates and the Supers.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    My own instinct is that Cameron is acting out of panic - perhaps also burned by the 2014 Independence Referendum - and that he is seriously concerned at the possibility of losing this vote

I think that is right
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

As with many things in politics, it's easy for armchair commentators to say "X was a terrible mistake" Sometimes it is, but it's no zero-sum game. Put the same level of scrutiny to other options:
    a) confidence and supply - what would the LDs get? Labour would have bashed them harder for allowing even worse budgets through
    b) sit on the sidelines - they'd be described as not only a wasted vote but a threat to good government
    c) some rainbow coalition - the numbers never stacked up, and Labour were hurting and obsessively tribal, would likely have been a disaster.

Coalition proved an electoral disaster, but I've yet to hear any convincing counter-proposal that stands up to anything like the same level of scrutiny.

You could come to much the same conclusion about EU membership.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I did the sums, if they commit to HPC then their free cashflow will be reduced to unsustainable levels. That's why the CFO resigned, this move is being driven by politics rather than getting a decent RoI.

Are there other nuclear designs which would potentially be more cost-effective?
    I've always been fond of the CANDU design personally. There are some interesting small scale and modular designs which look interesting.

Nevertheless, the big issue that nuclear has had throughout its existence is that it: (a) typically costs far more to build than planned, and (b) usually is far less reliable than planned.

The consequence of these is that - outside the realm of energy security - there is very little reason to build nuclear power plants. They will tend to raise energy prices and lack flexibility.
    Is not nuclear good for base load?
    We should be fraking and using gas but then all the usual suspects come out and protest at that. Despite all the comments I think that a mix of sources is desirable.
    3 stations like this one would provide 20% of our electricity needs.
  • Options
    Puts into context the robust discussions we have on PB.

An argument over whether Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo is the world’s best footballer has led to a Nigerian man being charged with the murder of his friend.

Police in India confirmed the Nigerian national Michael Chukwuma, 21, stabbed his 34-year-old compatriot Obina Durumchukwu in a Mumbai suburb on Sunday following an argument.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/07/lionel-messi-cristiano-ronaldo-argument-murder-charge-india
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    I see that Labour are proposing a separate legal system for Wales, rather than the "England and Wales" legal system we have at the moment.

Ultimately, this seems likely to be the direction of travel. I can see the attraction, if you're a Welsh politician, and it does seem like the upshot of a Welsh assembly having the power to pass Welsh legislation ought to be a separate legal system.

I'm slightly surprised this isn't viewed as a really important topic of debate at a national level, though. It seems to me it would have very big implications, including putting the long-run trajectory of the future of Wales onto a course that may be highly divergent with England. (And eventually, a source of instability/uncertainty, c.f. Scotland.)

Also for a relatively small geographical/economic unit, it seems an unnecessary expense running a parallel legal system, particularly one that will largely be a small-scale carbon copy of the English one (at least to start off with, before Welsh law begins to diverge more from English law).

Have any large employers in Wales expressed concern about moving from an "England and Wales" legal environment, to a "Welsh" one? At the very least, I'd expect it to knock up their costs for legal services.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

I agree on sanders.

Not prepared to lose all my trading profit on the off chance he wins, but I've balanced my book against him and only him.

POTUS

Trump/Cruz/Sanders +3
    Romney/Ryan +silly

GOP

Trump/Cruz +2.3
    Everyone else -+0

Last time I was on we were talking about FOBTs and you mentioned the need for education.. a friend of mine has started this venture, concentrating on steering young men away from the bright lights of mug punting

http://www.abetterperspective.co.uk/
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

An argument over whether Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo is the world’s best footballer has led to a Nigerian man being charged with the murder of his friend.

Police in India confirmed the Nigerian national Michael Chukwuma, 21, stabbed his 34-year-old compatriot Obina Durumchukwu in a Mumbai suburb on Sunday following an argument.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/07/lionel-messi-cristiano-ronaldo-argument-murder-charge-india

I dread to think what might have happened if someone had asked his opinion on AV
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Most of the Outers within the Tory party are EEA/EFTA types. Even UKIP's parliamentary party supports that approach (I believe)

I think that smells right wrt the Tory party. Although isn't UKIP's parliamentary party just a single person? ;)

In which case, the Leave campaigns should probably - if they are honest - come out with the EEA or EFTA position rather than the current kludge to keep everyone on board.

We need the arguments before the referendum, not after.
    Why?

People can vote leave for whatever reason they want.
    And what do they get after that. Thank you for confirming for me that the arguments by leave will only just begin if they are 'successful'.
    They get whatever Parliament decides.

It's called parliamentary democracy.
    And as pointed out they will continue their arguments - one of which is that they will not accept parliamentary democracy. All you are saying is that this referendum on your terms is a waste of time. Worse really - on your terms its a complete charade.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016
    http://order-order.com/2016/03/07/watch-khans-aide-brandishes-gun/

You have to wonder where he found this guy and if they checked him out at all....I mean it isn't like he is even a graduate of a top notch uni and his rantings on twitter where mostly before he started working for Khan. I wonder what qualities meant he was such an essential hire for Khan? The best spin can be that he has acted immaturely.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I dread to think what might have happened if someone had asked his opinion on AV
    They'd have both died laughing.
    I am sure murders have been committed over less.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Most of the Outers within the Tory party are EEA/EFTA types. Even UKIP's parliamentary party supports that approach (I believe)

I think that smells right wrt the Tory party. Although isn't UKIP's parliamentary party just a single person? ;)

In which case, the Leave campaigns should probably - if they are honest - come out with the EEA or EFTA position rather than the current kludge to keep everyone on board.

We need the arguments before the referendum, not after.
    Why?

People can vote leave for whatever reason they want.
    And what do they get after that. Thank you for confirming for me that the arguments by leave will only just begin if they are 'successful'.
    They get whatever Parliament decides.

It's called parliamentary democracy.
    And as pointed out they will continue their arguments - one of which is that they will not accept parliamentary democracy. All you are saying is that this referendum on your terms is a waste of time. Worse really - on your terms its a complete charade.
    No. It's a matter of constitutional theory.

We elect a Parliament, that selects an executive. The Executive governs, Parliament scrutinises them and legislates as appropriate. The vast majority of the business of government falls into one of these two categories.

But there are fundamental questions which should be put to the people as the source of Parliament's authority. (IMV Sindy was one, but AV should have been decided by Parliament). Membership or of the EU is outside the authority of parliament.

But should the people decide to leave, then the details of that are for the executive to figure out, subject to parliament's oversight. If the people don't like the outcome then they can vote out their MPs at the next general election.
  • Options
    JackW said:

MTimT said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

That's much like saying if my aunt had a huge dick then she'd vote for Donald Trump - Scarily wrong on so many levels.

Sanders is getting trampled and unless the feds send Hillary an e-mail saying it cuff time lady, then she's the nominee both with elected delegates and the Supers.
    You can argue that it is an unlikely scenario, and I would agree with you.

But if it happened, yes there would be outrage if the popular will were usurped by party insiders, and questions asked of why hold caucuses and primaries if party insiders, known to be pro-Clinton from the outset, fixed it for her.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

OllyT said:

I agree on sanders.

POTUS

Trump/Cruz/Sanders +3
    Romney/Ryan +silly

GOP

Trump/Cruz +2.3
    Everyone else -+0

My GOP book is very similiar, though sadly not nearly as valuable :P currently longer Cruz. Have a £100 swap Cruz with Trump in the works, and am also long Kasich mainly because of a £25 bet with Victor @ 40-1 which would just cost me liquidity to zero out (He's red on the Betfair screen).

I'm basically betting against Rubio, who I have zeroed out for GOP and will be able to trade out for a tiny profit in POTUS.

Playing in the red with Sanders at the moment.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 23s24 seconds ago
    The Labour Party is...
    United: 8% (-10)
    Divided: 65% (+1)
    Changes from November, 2011
    (via YouGov)
    1 retweet 0 likes
    Reply Retweeted 1
    More
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 30s31 seconds ago
    The Conservative Party is...
    United: 8% (-17)
    Divided: 69% (+24)
    Changes from November, 2011
    (via YouGov)
    1 retweet 0 likes
  • Options
    Annie Zaidi: Football coach faced racism, sexism & Islamophobia [from other Muslims]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35731494
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited March 2016

You have to wonder where he found this guy and if they checked him out at all....I mean it isn't like he is even a graduate of a top notch uni and his rantings on twitter where mostly before he started working for Khan. I wonder what qualities meant he was such an essential hire for Khan? The best spin can be that he has acted immaturely.

I just read some of the messages under Guido's article. Does anyone know anyone who posts on there? It's quite disturbing to think that these people exist let alone might be walking the streets
  • Options
    Roger said:

I just read some of the messages under Guido's article.
    Rookie error.

Don't go there ;)
  • Options
    Roger said:

I just read some of the messages under Guido's article. Does anyone know anyone who posts on there? It's quite disturbing to think that these people exist let alone might be walking the streets
    The past few days you appear to be on a crusade to seek out and read material that offends you...you have to actually click to read the comments, something I never do.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    Looks like Neil Hamilton and Mark Reckless will win seats in the Welsh Assembly elections.
    Such are the the joys of PR...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35744070

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I'm interested in the discussion about freedom of movement, for centuries people have built castles, walls, moats and fences for a variety of reasons. The reality is there never has been nor never will be freedom of movement.

I visit Italy fairly frequently and would be very happy to settle there, however if they are kind enough to invite me I accept it will be on their terms and not mine, and if I ever break their rules and they ask me to leave I'll do so without a fuss.
  • Options
    llef said:

Looks like Neil Hamilton and Mark Reckless will win seats in the Welsh Assembly elections.

Mark Reckless? That name sounds familiar.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Roger said:

The people who post there are the estranged twin brothers of those who rant on the Guardian comment pages.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited March 2016
    Roger said:

I think they go there when they get banned from youtube.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

I'm interested in the discussion about freedom of movement, for centuries people have built castles, walls, moats and fences for a variety of reasons. The reality is there never has been nor never will be freedom of movement.

I visit Italy fairly frequently and would be very happy to settle there, however if they are kind enough to invite me I accept it will be on their terms and not mine, and if I ever break their rules and they ask me to leave I'll do so without a fuss.

I don't think that's actually true. The US - for example - had an explicit open door policy until about 1914, as did we for that matter.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Call me Mr pedantic, but I thought brandishing a gun involved waving it around in a menacing, defiant, or excited way, usually in an inappropriate place like Marks and Sparks food department. - Guido’s video appears to shows a chap, firing a weapon, on a firing range. what am I missing here?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Call me Mr pedantic, but I thought brandishing a gun involved waving it around in a menacing, defiant, or excited way, usually in an inappropriate place like Marks and Sparks food department. - Guido’s video appears to shows a chap, firing a weapon, on a firing range. what am I missing here?
    The video isn't interestng, its the comments, Sound like they were made by a 14 year old, not the speechwriter / advisor to the potentially the next Londn mayor.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't think that's actually true. The US - for example - had an explicit open door policy until about 1914, as did we for that matter.
    Yep, I'd be very happy to return to that, subject to our visitors having somewhere to live and the means to provide for themselves. I'd exclude genuine asylum seekers from that.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Interesting tit-bit from Britain Elects.

US Presidential preference (amongst Britons):
    H. Clinton: 50%
    B. Sanders: 17%
    D. Trump: 9%
    T. Cruz: 3%
    M. Rubio: 3%
    (via YouGov)

Indication of how much PB leans to the right?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

(via YouGov)

Presumably Mr U. Sam would have scored highly in the poll as well.

I doubt that many in the UK have a strong knowledge of the pros and cons.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Latest Michigan GOP poll (Mitchell/Fox). Changes from the previous Mitchell/Fox poll on 2 March:

Trump 42 (-)
    Kasich 20 (+6)
    Cruz 19 (-)
    Rubio 9 (-6)
    Carson 4 (-1)

No great evidence of a Trump collapse there.

https://twitter.com/americaelect/status/706831103680716800
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I did the sums, if they commit to HPC then their free cashflow will be reduced to unsustainable levels. That's why the CFO resigned, this move is being driven by politics rather than getting a decent RoI.

Are there other nuclear designs which would potentially be more cost-effective?
    I've always been fond of the CANDU design personally. There are some interesting small scale and modular designs which look interesting.

Nevertheless, the big issue that nuclear has had throughout its existence is that it: (a) typically costs far more to build than planned, and (b) usually is far less reliable than planned.

The consequence of these is that - outside the realm of energy security - there is very little reason to build nuclear power plants. They will tend to raise energy prices and lack flexibility.
    Is not nuclear good for base load?
    We should be fraking and using gas but then all the usual suspects come out and protest at that. Despite all the comments I think that a mix of sources is desirable.
    3 stations like this one would provide 20% of our electricity needs.
    There are a number of problems with nuclear, but by far the biggest one is that it never lives up to expectations for consistency of power production. CCGTs can run - almost maintenance free - at extraordinary levels of uptime. Unscheduled downtimes for modern GE or Siemens turbines can be in the single digit hours per year.

With nuclear this simply isn't the case. For various reasons, there are very few nuclear plants with uptimes north of 90%. Worse, unscheduled down-time is often because you've discovered a problem and you need to check out all the other reactors to make sure they don't have the same issue.

This means that - like with wind - you need to have extensive backup power generation available for when Reactor C is down for unscheduled maintenance.

As plants get older, these problems become more severe. Because so many of the components have been bombarded with various particles over the years, they become brittle, increasing the chances of leaks. The result of this is that the maintenance bill for a nuclear power plant - above and beyond the issue of availability - will tend to rise.

There's a final point against nuclear: in its current incarnations, it's not very flexible. You can adjust the flow rate of natural gas into a CCGT to modulate its power output (although you won't tend to, for various reasons), but most nukes are either on or off. This makes them ill-suited for a world where consumers put solar panels on their roof.
  • Options
    Make it stop
    Students campaigning for the decolonisation of British universities are now demanding that a statue of Queen Victoria is removed from a college campus - because of its 'racist colonial connotations'.

Campaigners are set to join a march at Oxford University, on Wednesday, demanding that a statue of the long-reigning monarch be taken down from Royal Holloway, University of London, because she 'sanctioned colonial exploits'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3480122/Now-Cecil-Rhodes-protesters-call-statue-Queen-Victoria-removed-Students-campaigning-colonisation-British-universities-claim-relic-long-reigning-monarch-racist.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK
  • Options

Make it stop

Students campaigning for the decolonisation of British universities are now demanding that a statue of Queen Victoria is removed from a college campus - because of its 'racist colonial connotations'.

Campaigners are set to join a march at Oxford University, on Wednesday, demanding that a statue of the long-reigning monarch be taken down from Royal Holloway, University of London, because she 'sanctioned colonial exploits'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3480122/Now-Cecil-Rhodes-protesters-call-statue-Queen-Victoria-removed-Students-campaigning-colonisation-British-universities-claim-relic-long-reigning-monarch-racist.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Just f##k f##k off.
  • Options
    There are 751 MEPs in the European Parliament, all buzzing around for a pittance making life better for us all. I sometimes wonder how we got through a few hundred years without them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

(via YouGov)

Presumably Mr U. Sam would have scored highly in the poll as well.

I doubt that many in the UK have a strong knowledge of the pros and cons.
    This looks like a modified name-recognition poll, with Trump marked down because he offends British sensibilities (ok, and a lot of US ones too ;) )
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

There are 751 MEPs in the European Parliament, all buzzing around for a pittance making life better for us all. I sometimes wonder how we got through a few hundred years without them.

We got by for thousands of years without a nation-state. I wonder how we managed.
  • Options

Latest Michigan GOP poll (Mitchell/Fox). Changes from the previous Mitchell/Fox poll on 2 March:

Trump 42 (-)
    Kasich 20 (+6)
    Cruz 19 (-)
    Rubio 9 (-6)
    Carson 4 (-1)

But possible confirmation of a Rubio collapse.
  • Options

Make it stop

Royal Holloway was originally female only.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

We got by for thousands of years without a nation-state. I wonder how we managed.
    Low population density. I imagine that in each tribal unit there was some form of social structure, a proto-government.
  • Options

llef said:

Mark Reckless? That name sounds familiar.
    At least Hamilton can claim to be Welsh. Reckless is of immigrant stock.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

Roger said:

The past few days you appear to be on a crusade to seek out and read material that offends you...you have to actually click to read the comments, something I never do.
    Personally I find the comments are often far more illuminating that what goes on above the line. I'm not too bothered about pub bores sounding off - if you're not a sophisticated enough reader to discern the wheat from the chaff, where's the issue? Lefties scared of turning into right-wing chauvanist demagogues if they read too much of it?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

That's a good point, but transport and communications have changed.

Email some MEPs and ask them what they've done today, I've met quite a few they do very little meaningful work.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Wanderer said:

Low population density. I imagine that in each tribal unit there was some form of social structure, a proto-government.
    A man walking quietly and carrying a big stick.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @FrancisUrquhart

order-order.com/2016/03/07/watch-khans-aide-brandishes-gun/

You have to wonder where he found this guy and if they checked him out at all....'

Makes you wonder what the rest Khan's pals are like.
  • Options

Make it stop

Oh dear, that's where I went. Lovely campus, but this just screams of 'me too - look we've got one of Victoria, she was alive then'. Cretinous and transparent on every level.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Wanderer said:

And what happened to those tribes as they met societies with more advanced governance?
  • Options
    Wasn't it all moot halls and suchlike?
    MTimT said:

Wanderer said:

• Options

Trump 42 (-)
    Kasich 20 (+6)
    Cruz 19 (-)
    Rubio 9 (-6)
    Carson 4 (-1)

But possible confirmation of a Rubio collapse.
    Very much so. Maybe Clinton can appoint him Viceroy of Puerto Rico?

Interesting that Rubio's vote seems to have gone to Kasich (obviously there may be churn effects we can't see from the top line). Establishment voters unhappy with Trump/Cruz and now put off by Rubio's debate antics, perhaps?
  • Options
    JackW said:

OllyT said:

Agreed. There was a question mark about how much damage Romney and last weeks debate had had plus that one ARG poll that put Kaisch 2% up in Michigan. Looks like that was a complete rogue now. Clinton is home and dry and it looks like Trump could wrap it up in the next ten days. Wins in Michigan, Florida, Ohio and Illinois would just about seal it and he has huge poll leads in each.

ARG - Arrrggghhhh - for a reason.

The Clinton/Trump Michigan Marist/WSJ/NBC poll from yesterday 52/36 was hair raising for the The Donald.
    A case of hair today, gone tomorrow?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The big problem with nuclear is that everyone's mindset is deeply and irretrievably stuck in the 'massive pressurised water uranium fuel' mode. The early nuclear industry went to PWR for two hugely valid reasons:
    1. It is a simple 'brute force' approach that worked first reliably to power nuclear submarines; and
    2. Uranium PWR yields by-products that can be used to make nuclear weapons.

But PWR is not inherently a good technical model for civilian powergen:
    1. It fails to Unsafe (as opposed to fails to Safe). When pumped coolant systems fuck-up the whole doodah can and will melt. (Fukushima, 3 Mile Island etc).
    2. The resulting melt is so hot it ionises the coolant and fills the entire building with hydrogen gas. BOOM! This also leaves you with an unclearable-uppable amount of mess (Chernobyl, etc).
    3. Uranium PWR breeds heavy and very long half-life radioactive nuclear waste.
    4. To contain the pressure and heat you need a monster heavy concrete and steel building to house things. This means mega sized decommissioning costs. And shitty economics overall.

We thus have a 'nuclear is bad and expensive and unsafe' default kneejerk reaction.

But there are tested (in the 1960s!) and viable alternate nuclear options such as Thorium fuelled low pressure designs for which the above negatives no longer apply. The politics of getting a nuclear provider to destroy their existing business model to make the conversion are probably insurmountable. Right up until China or India or deliver working Thorium designs.

And fission is inherently safe too. We should put much more R&D effort into getting away from Uranium / Plutonium and into Thorium or light isotope fission.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Wanderer said:

I had an interesting chat recently with a man who works with gorillas, their societal structure is fascinating. Introducing new members is far from easy.
  • Options
    New threads...
  • Options
    Just to annoy those students who want to erase history :smiley:

British Museum
    Roman emperor Antoninus Pius died #onthisday in AD 161. He and Britannia are on this coin https://t.co/KSNAktTIan https://t.co/a6ObxNfWgB
  • Options

Interesting that Rubio's vote seems to have gone to Kasich (obviously there may be churn effects we can't see from the top line). Establishment voters unhappy with Trump/Cruz and now put off by Rubio's debate antics, perhaps?

Rubio's fading seems pretty clear, but on Saturday Cruz seemed to be the beneficiary. On balance the net effect seems to be to leave Trump in a good position against a still-divided field, with Rubio no longer credible as the establishment alternative, Cruz too Marmite-ish, and Kasich too sane.
  • Options
    Hmm

1178 Trump
    669 Cruz
    301 Rubio
    62 Kasich

Wonder what happens if that is the delegate total heading into a brokered convention....
  • Options

MTimT said:

Wanderer said:

And what happened to those tribes as they met societies with more advanced governance?
    Or the other way around, from what did those societies with more advanced governance evolve?

The answer is pretty obvious. As population density increases, technologies advance and transport/communication over longer distances become easier, interactions extend beyond family/tribal boundaries creating externalities.

Governance on specific issues has to be at the level of the interactions and externalities. Hence, once trade went from the village to the shire to the nation to global, governance structures went from local to national to the WTO. Same of IATA/ICAO in aviation etc...

But 'more advanced governance' does not always mean at a higher, larger level, a la EU or One World Government. Governance on social and cultural issues should still rest at the level that society or culture operates, the subsidiarity principle. That is why I am in favour of leaving the EU and reverting to a trade-based relationship with it, dealing with global issues directly with global institutions (not through the EU), and dealing with local and national issues at the local and national levels.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited March 2016
    Roger said:

Yes, I know a Guido poster.

Am surprised the American Golidlocks joke hasn't been mentioned. The one where Father Bear shots Goldilocks after saying, this is American we have the right to arm bears.
  • Options
    donitatadonitata Posts: 11
    The problem is surely the nouveau rich that have no feel for the required tastes/ability to fit in? That's just SO awkward.

A relative won the pools and claimed they inherited it. Golly, that was just wince-makingly awful hob-nobbing.
    ป๊อก เด้ง
  • Options
    Thank you for another fantastic posting. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a speech next week,
    and I was looking for more info ;)
    live casino
  • Options
    Rubio's fading seems pretty clear, but on Saturday Cruz seemed to be the beneficiary. On balance the net effect seems to be to leave Trump in a good position against a still-divided field, with Rubio no longer credible as the establishment alternative, Cruz too Marmite-ish, and Kasich too sane. prediksi togel
    agen sbobet/a>
  • Options
    I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post

togel online | togel online
This discussion has been closed.