Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For someone who’s got reputation for laziness Cameron’s run

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2016
    On the GOP race:

The convention will have 2,472 delegates, so to secure the nomination requires 1,237 - and that figure needs to be secured in advance in order to avoid a 'brokered' convention. So far the delegate count is something like:

Trump 391
    Cruz 304
    Rubio 148
    Kasich 37

(I say 'something like' because different websites have slightly different figures - I've taken the top three from 538.com and Kasich's from RCP).

On those figures, to reach the magic 1,237 Trump needs 56% of the remaining delegates, Cruz needs 61%, and Rubio needs 71%. The upcoming big states are mostly less Cruz-friendly than those where he's done well in the last few days, and Rubio seems to be miles behind in most of the states with lots of delegates. Trump should be able to do it provided his support doesn't fall too much, but it's by no means a slam dunk and there are signs that his support has fallen in the last few days. A brokered convention is looking not unlikely.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

WTF ? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12185567/Hospital-suspends-consultant-who-stopped-surgeon-operating-while-wearing-headscarf.html

A hospital consultant has been suspended after revealing that a Muslim surgeon walked out of an operation rather than remove her headscarf.

Dr Vladislav Rogozov, 46, a consultant anaesthetist, was suspended by Sheffield's Royal Hallamshire Hospital after telling a website how he confronted the unnamed surgeon as they scrubbed up, according to The Sun.

He said she refused to remove it, forcing the hospital to find a stand-in. She later left the hospital after an investigation backed Dr Rogozov for enforcing the strict dress code.
    So why has he been suspended, if the investigation backed Dr Rogozov? Or is there more to it?

They said he was suspended not because of the incident (which was in 2013) but because he was quotes in a Czech newsite and they didn't like the "tone" of his comments
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    edited March 2016
    Some common sense about our Hinkley C reactor:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4706821.ece

"The cost of building it has roughly trebled before a brick has been laid. At £18 billion, or more like £24 billion including finance costs, Hinkley Point C would be the most expensive power station ever built. The Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze is its nearest rival and that generates ten times more electricity than Hinkley’s planned 3.2 gigawatts. If we spent that much on gas-fired power stations, we would get roughly 48 gigawatts of dependable capacity, or 15 times more — and each unit of electricity would cost one third as much."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016
    Charles said:

WTF ? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12185567/Hospital-suspends-consultant-who-stopped-surgeon-operating-while-wearing-headscarf.html

A hospital consultant has been suspended after revealing that a Muslim surgeon walked out of an operation rather than remove her headscarf.

Dr Vladislav Rogozov, 46, a consultant anaesthetist, was suspended by Sheffield's Royal Hallamshire Hospital after telling a website how he confronted the unnamed surgeon as they scrubbed up, according to The Sun.

He said she refused to remove it, forcing the hospital to find a stand-in. She later left the hospital after an investigation backed Dr Rogozov for enforcing the strict dress code.
    So why has he been suspended, if the investigation backed Dr Rogozov? Or is there more to it?
    They said he was suspended not because of the incident (which was in 2013) but because he was quotes in a Czech newsite and they didn't like the "tone" of his comments

Arhh, so it sounds like more like he was potentially saying some rather un-pc things, I presume about the individual involved / her faith...also, I am guessing there might be a clause in his contract that says he isn't allowed to comment on such things with prior agreement.

So sounds like the hospital may well have called it right on both accounts. I am also wondering if there might have been some history between the two doctors.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    John_N said:

"The authority of the Prime Minister repeatedly warning of the dangers of leaving the EU is going to weigh heavily on uncommitted voters’ judgements."

Well, it will weigh on some of their judgements. But two other influences are worthy of note.

One, the media. I don't foresee the Torygraph doing a Scotsman and backing the status quo at the last minute.

The Scotsman didn't back the status quo at the last minute It was clearly strongly pro-union throughout the whole IndyRef and it's official declaration surprised no-one except by how late it came.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389

I felt as though I'd read a leader from The Times ... and a good one at that.

The analysis seems too Tory-focused. There are millions of people who aren't involved in politics, who may vote Tory, or Labour, or not vote, who aren't going to be influenced by Flashman's delivery skills and stamina to vote Remain. Nor to tell pollsters that having been Don't Know or Won't Vote for months, they've now decided that those "European" types across the Channel are the bees' knees and that straight cucumbers are where it's at.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,954
    MaxPB said:

"The cost of building it has roughly trebled before a brick has been laid. At £18 billion, or more like £24 billion including finance costs, Hinkley Point C would be the most expensive power station ever built. The Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze is its nearest rival and that generates ten times more electricity than Hinkley’s planned 3.2 gigawatts. If we spent that much on gas-fired power stations, we would get roughly 48 gigawatts of dependable capacity, or 15 times more — and each unit of electricity would cost one third as much."

George loves doing business with the chinese.

The chinese love doing business with George even more.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It does seem absurdly expensive.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Whatever one's views, one simply has to sit back and admire the sheer quality of this morning's thread from Mr. Meeks.
    We are indeed fortunate to have the benefit of his intellect and writing skills on PB.com.

Seconded.

This piece develops very well the idea that Cameron is a far more ruthless and efficient operator than is commonly realised. It's worth noting that this would not be news to Jeremy Corbyn.

The Conservatives are going to lose more than just a reassuring face and voice when Cameron retires. They may lose some of their killer instinct too.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

John_N said:

"The authority of the Prime Minister repeatedly warning of the dangers of leaving the EU is going to weigh heavily on uncommitted voters’ judgements."

Well, it will weigh on some of their judgements. But two other influences are worthy of note.

One, the media. I don't foresee the Torygraph doing a Scotsman and backing the status quo at the last minute.

The Scotsman didn't back the status quo at the last minute It was clearly strongly pro-union throughout the whole IndyRef and it's official declaration surprised no-one except by how late it came.
    Wrong. It surprised many people. And what you say was clear hadn't been clear to many people either.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I forgot the appalling Sunday Times site. Impossible to navigate, listings all over the place, no option to share stories, flash pop up menus all over that you can't avoid - and scrolling menus very hard to use on a smartphone.

It's been crap for three years.

The Guardian has the best website set up to me. Loads quickly and consistently

The Telegraph hangs repeatedly, Times fails to load 70% first or second time and Mail is very busy visually.

Christ almighty what have the Telegraph done to their front page online!!!!

TBH, I am not very impressed by any of the major media website. Nobody seems to have got a good layout that is easy that looks appealing, tidy and easy to navigate. Not BBC, Sky is worse, etc etc etc. I feel like there is space for a design "leap", like the way the Netflix UI changed the way people think about listing tv / movies.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

watford30 said:

OllyT said:

@AlastairMeeks

Ho hum

as one of PBs leading Remainers your constant feed of clickbait is just getting tedious.

Yesterday in response to Cyclefree you say someone needs to be putting the positive case for REMAIN. Today once again it's rile up the LEAVERS for your own personal amusement.

As ever it's not what you say, it's what you do.

The campaign for Leave is a highly negative one too, based on hatred of eveything European or foreign. Hardly a positive one...
    You see its this sort of post that mildly irritates me, I've been a Leaver for years but I don't have a hatred of anything European or foreign.

Allegedly intelligent and rational people are spouting errant nonsense. The fact that the majority of thread headers are for In fans the flames. This blog reflects the country right now: the establishment desperately campaigning to Remain while the minions are split roughly in half.
    There is plenty of negativity in the Leave campaign. Just the other day Gove was saying that the EU encouraged Fascism, and yesterday Boris compared the EU to a jail. These are the less extreme end of the Leave campaign too.

There are sensible people too, but the tone of the Leave campaign is being set by the xenophobes.

Best get started on some work though. Play nicely children!
    I agree, the Xenophobes just can't help themselves and in the end that will doom the LEAVE campaign in my opinion.
    Another member of the Remain camp busy painting Leavers as racists.

You do realise that Europe and the EU are different things, and it's possible to dislike the latter whilst being perfectly happy with the former and its people?
    I don't think Leavers are racist.
    But anyone who leaves on teh grounds of reducing immigration has got to be naive and politically ignorant.

From what I read, it is likely if we leave, we'll still have to have freedom of movement for EC citizens.

And given that a lot of UK immigrants are not EC residents, we can do something now. And kill the Commonwealth and upset China.. both major sources of UK immigrants..

No doubt Boris and Gove and others have thought that through.. not.

Leave are full of clever people who are leaving a major hostage to fortune. I doubt if Cameron will miss the opportunity to skewer them...
    You are perfectly correct.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Expensive and only slightly better in terms of capacity utilisation than onshore wind. Nuclear has an average downtime of ~20% over the life of a reactor, usually for maintenance and refuelling (the EPR design doesn't have online refuelling). Additionally the EPR design is inflexible as it outputs the same level of power 24/7 while power usage has massive peaks and troughs.
  • Options

Some of us are trying to do that...

Sending Boris, Nigel or Gorgeous George to Oslo, Berne, Reykjavik or Vaduz would be inadvisable :)
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

On the GOP race:

The convention will have 2,472 delegates, so to secure the nomination requires 1,237 - and that figure needs to be secured in advance in order to avoid a 'brokered' convention. So far the delegate count is something like:

Trump 391
    Cruz 304
    Rubio 148
    Kasich 37

(I say 'something like' because different websites have slightly different figures - I've taken the top three from 538.com and Kasich's from RCP).

On those figures, to reach the magic 1,237 Trump needs 56% of the remaining delegates, Cruz needs 61%, and Rubio needs 71%. The upcoming big states are mostly less Cruz-friendly than those where he's done well in the last few days, and Rubio seems to be miles behind in most of the states with lots of delegates. Trump should be able to do it provided his support doesn't fall too much, but it's by no means a slam dunk and there are signs that his support has fallen in the last few days. A brokered convention is looking not unlikely.

I think the last few days have been good above all for Hillary. Trump has started to look less Teflon-coated and (imo) clearly beatable. And if the GOP don't nominate Trump he will surely run as an independent, so Hillary still wins.

I'm coming round to the JackW HCW... er, can't remember the rest.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

MaxPB said:

People are waking up to the complete black hole the project is:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/07/hinkley-point-c-nuclear-project-in-crisis-as-edf-finance-director-resigns?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No idea how accurate that is, but EDF finances look to be a mess.
  • Options
    John_N said:

Alistair said:

John_N said:

Wrong. It surprised many people. And what you say was clear hadn't been clear to many people either.
    Do you read the Scotsman? After it was taken over by the Barclay Brothers in '95 its formerly pro-home rule editorial stance changed radically. Even after the BBs sold up the paper was solidly against Independence.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Max, but gas is dirty.

[I agree with you it's crackers, but that's the argument that's swayed the policy].
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957
    edited March 2016
    As for criticism of @AlastairMeeks...

Well I disagree with his views on the EU, the referendum & also dislike the tone with which he treats people who want to leave... But he does write nicely and it seems the way to be a successful blogger is to have an opinion, a common enemy... and churn

Works for Dan Hodges

At the very least you can be sure when Alastair concludes an article with betting advice that it is (a) well thought through (b) from a shrewd gambler, & therefore (c) worth following, rather than guesswork and filler

If there were more threads offering a different opinion written by others then it wouldn't be a problem if it was all Alastair ever wrote
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2016
    Wanderer said:

Whatever one's views, one simply has to sit back and admire the sheer quality of this morning's thread from Mr. Meeks.
    We are indeed fortunate to have the benefit of his intellect and writing skills on PB.com.

Seconded.

This piece develops very well the idea that Cameron is a far more ruthless and efficient operator than is commonly realised. It's worth noting that this would not be news to Jeremy Corbyn.

The Conservatives are going to lose more than just a reassuring face and voice when Cameron retires. They may lose some of their killer instinct too.
    Spinning a myth.

A 'ruthless and efficient operator', yet he flunked the renegotiation of a new settlement for Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12136337/EU-deal-What-David-Cameron-asked-for-Brussels-Brexit.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    GIN1138 said:

I'd never vote for Corbyn at a GE myself.

The gusto and hard ball tactics employed by Cameron seem pretty clear to me. And that's before tilting the procedural scales rather too much in his favour.

Remainers can hand wave us away, however it's a mistake. Leave is a substantial % of the Tory Party and their voters. Treating us as stupid does them no credit. And it's totally unnecessary.

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I'd be surprised if he lasts more than a few months post referendum.

I'm really torn as he's been great for the Blue Team until now. I feel all dodgy dossier about him. Just as I did about Tony.

The only difference is that whilst I truly believe Tony lied, it was over a war. That's so WTF that I still find it incredible.

Mortimer said:

Oh - and IMHO he'll be gone in 2016 regardless of the result.

This EU thing does increasingly feel like Iraq doesn't?

Whilst the damage to the Conservatives probably won't be immediate (just as the damage Iraq did to Labour wasn't) I wouldn't be surprised if in the end it goes a long way to destroying the Tories for a very long time (just as Iraq has hung over and pretty well destroyed the Labour Party)

Cameron's name and legacy will be toxic within his Party which is a shame because like you say he has been quite good until he finally unleashed his EUphilia.
    I'm still not convinced on Cameron being a massive Europhile, I still think it is Osborne driving this campaign behind the scenes.
    One thing's for certain, there's no way I'd ever vote for an Osborne-led Tory Party.

I'd even vote for Corbyn over Toxic Osborne (at least Jezza would shake things up and we'd have no end of fun for his "chaotic" term as PM)
    At least Corbyn would be tough with these tax-avoiding Yankie multinationals.

Under Cameron and Osborne, things have got so ridiculous that a multi-billion dollar company like Facebook is now voluntarily offering to pay more tax, because presumably even they are ashamed (and realize that their current arrangements are a PR disaster) of the amount of tax they was paying before.

Meanwhile British small business owners, British citizens, who have worked here and paid their taxes fairly all their lives, are chased to their graves by HMRC. It's outrageous and if nothing else, Corbyn would do some good here, I think.
    Labour talk a good game on tax avoidance but this and the previous government have actually done a lot more...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/07/hinkley-point-c-nuclear-project-in-crisis-as-edf-finance-director-resigns?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I did the sums, if they commit to HPC then their free cashflow will be reduced to unsustainable levels. That's why the CFO resigned, this move is being driven by politics rather than getting a decent RoI.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I did the sums, if they commit to HPC then their free cashflow will be reduced to unsustainable levels. That's why the CFO resigned, this move is being driven by politics rather than getting a decent RoI.

Are there other nuclear designs which would potentially be more cost-effective?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,225
    edited March 2016
    John_N said:

Alistair said:

John_N said:

Assume you have evidence for that assertion rather than just a feelin' in yer watter?

All rather abstract anyway since The Scotsman has even less relevance to Scottish national discourse than the Telegraph does to an English/UK one.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

If only they'd listened to me...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    watford30 said:

Spinning a myth.

A 'ruthless and efficient operator', yet he flunked the renegotiation of a new settlement for Britain.

True.

The fabled 'better deal' the Outers fantasise about is indeed a myth
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2016
    Tories split asunder on European matters yet again. Scars reopened that didn't heal quickly the first time, and the fact Brexit looms large over the upcoming leadership election is not a good omen this time round either.

Labour suffering dismal, sub-Milibandesque polling, a front bench devoid of most of the party's talent, and a parliamentary party virtually at war with its mass membership, who seem intent on saddling it with unelectable leadership for the foreseeable future.

UKIP, the wannabe-third-party, showing typically self-destructive tendencies, an inability to go beyond "Project Nige" and no sign of an upswing in its electoral fortunes any time soon, even as their pet issue hogs the TV screens.

Paddy Ashdown must stare watching the news on his telly some evenings thinking "where the hell did it all go wrong?" The right man, in the right place, at the right time, and the Lib Dems could be ahead of this shower right now, or at least locking horns in serious contention for the number two slot. Even Nick Clegg must wonder "if only..."

Wonder if he blames himself for the cabfull. Or is it all just the electorate's fault?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

On the GOP race:

Trump 391
    Cruz 304
    Rubio 148
    Kasich 37

Here are my finger in the air predictions for the next week:

Hawaii: Rubio
    Idaho: Cruz, Trump 2nd
    Michigan: Trump, Kasich strong 2nd, Cruz 3rd.
    Mississippi: Trump 40%, Cruz v close 2nd
    Virgin Islands: Rubio
    Guam: Rubio
    DC: Rubio
    Florida: Trump
    Illinois: Trump
    Missouri: Trump, possibly Cruz
    North Carolina: Cruz, Trump 2nd
    N Marianas: Rubio
    Ohio: Kasich

Of those the biggest cert is probably Rubio for DC given his strength in Northern VA's big Democrat stronghold.

Trump's support doesn't seem to have dipped - he's not as popular in the midwest I think as the deep south, NE corner (Maine was a weird one alright) or rustbelt methinks.

More a collapse of the Rubio vote to Cruz on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

MaxPB said:

Not really, a long term bet on fusion or MSRs and CCGTs today is the correct policy. Maybe have a longer look at the Severn and Thames barrage projects for renewable power, but the current fission reactors are all expensive, late and usually not reliable.

Edit: Forgot about PRISM, but the "interest" from our government dried up after HPC was announced as an EDF project using the EPR design.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I've always been fond of the CANDU design personally. There are some interesting small scale and modular designs which look interesting.

Nevertheless, the big issue that nuclear has had throughout its existence is that it: (a) typically costs far more to build than planned, and (b) usually is far less reliable than planned.

The consequence of these is that - outside the realm of energy security - there is very little reason to build nuclear power plants. They will tend to raise energy prices and lack flexibility.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not really, a long term bet on fusion or MSRs and CCGTs today is the correct policy. Maybe have a longer look at the Severn and Thames barrage projects for renewable power, but the current fission reactors are all expensive, late and usually not reliable.
    Snap.
  • Options

Possibly caused by Colorado having delegates who can't vote in the first round?
  • Options

Tories split asunder on European matters yet again. Scars reopened that didn't heal quickly the first time, and the fact Brexit looms large over the upcoming leadership election is not a good omen this time round either.

Labour suffering dismal, sub-Milibandesque polling, a front bench devoid of most of the party's talent, and a parliamentary party virtually at war with its mass membership, who seem intent on saddling it with unelectable leadership for the foreseeable future.

UKIP, the wannabe-third-party, showing typically self-destructive tendencies, an inability to go beyond "Project Nige" and no sign of an upswing in its electoral fortunes any time soon, even as their pet issue hogs the TV screens.

Paddy Ashdown must stare watching the news on his telly some evenings thinking "where the hell did it all go wrong?" The right man, in the right place, at the right time, and the Lib Dems could be ahead of this shower right now, or at least locking horns in serious contention for the number two slot. Even Nick Clegg must wonder "if only..."

Wonder if he blames himself for the cabfull. Or is it all just the electorate's fault?

Is there any mileage in the theory that if Clegg had said no to a coalition, we may not have had this referendum, and would be less likely to leave the EU?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On the GOP race:

Trump 391
    Cruz 304
    Rubio 148
    Kasich 37

Of those the biggest cert is probably Rubio for DC given his strength in Northern VA's big Democrat stronghold.
    Of the big states, which are winner takes all?
  • Options
    I have the lurgy so can someone please insert the appropriate Smiths song titles in here

Morrissey 'seriously considering' standing for Mayor of London

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/morrissey-seriously-considering-standing-for-mayor-of-london-a3196956.html
  • Options
    A bit of an odd question:

I found a dead deer in our garden yesterday (deer being common visitors here in Argyll & Bute). I called the council and they say if it is not in the roadway they won't take it.

Options:

a) take it to the road and dump it there (thus offending my neighbours);

b) throw it in the communal skips at the bottom of our driveway (which the council will no longer drive along to collect our rubbish, even though private sector firms are happy to deal with the potholes);

Is either option legal? Is there a better option? I have no car and I don't eat meat fwiw!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Morrissey for Mayor of London?

Panic
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Scott_P said:

watford30 said:

Spinning a myth.

True.

The fabled 'better deal' the Outers fantasise about is indeed a myth
    You mean the better deal Cameron claimed he was going to get us and then didn't even bother trying for?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

On the GOP race:

Trump 391
    Cruz 304
    Rubio 148
    Kasich 37

Florida, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It will be near perfect, though
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Possibly caused by Colorado having delegates who can't vote in the first round?
    No, Colorado and Wyoming aren't included in any of the totals. There seem to be slight discrepancies in (for example) Vermont, where RCP give 6 to Trump but 538 give him 8.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I've always been fond of the CANDU design personally. There are some interesting small scale and modular designs which look interesting.

Nevertheless, the big issue that nuclear has had throughout its existence is that it: (a) typically costs far more to build than planned, and (b) usually is far less reliable than planned.

The consequence of these is that - outside the realm of energy security - there is very little reason to build nuclear power plants. They will tend to raise energy prices and lack flexibility.
    PRISM is an interesting design concept, modular power that is flexible and since it is a fast reactor it will be much more efficient.

http://gehitachiprism.com/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029

In his Indie article the other day Clegg didn’t appear to blame anyone. He felt that he and his team had been targeted by the Tories, but his feeling seemed to be that that was politics.

Ashdown seems to have just about licked his wounds now, although it was pretty obvious in May last year thast they were very deep. Understandably so!

But as you say, Mr E, could be so much better. Where’s a reasonably winnable by-election when one needs one?
  • Options
    Ask local butcher, hunt or similar to take it?

I found a dead deer in our garden yesterday (deer being common visitors here in Argyll & Bute). I called the council and they say if it is not in the roadway they won't take it.

Options:

b) throw it in the communal skips at the bottom of our driveway (which the council will no longer drive along to collect our rubbish, even though private sector firms are happy to deal with the potholes);

Is either option legal? Is there a better option? I have no car and I don't eat meat fwiw!

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2016
    Extended highlights (about 30 mins?) of the Clinton/Saunders debate now on CNN.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    More Sadiq Khan's unfortunate-ness...his dodgy homophobic, racist, sexist speechwriter also thinks the killing of Lee Rigby was faked.

http://order-order.com/2016/03/07/sadiqs-friends-staff-dont-make-londoners-feel-secure/

There seems to be a pattern here, I just can't quite figure out what it is...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Florida (99), Illinois (69), Ohio (66), and later PA (71) CA (172)

New York (95) and North Carolina (72) are big proportionals.

The whole system is mad!
  • Options

Options:

i imagine it is too far gone for the butcher. lots of flies.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Options:

Dump it in the road further away from your neighbours? Bury it? Call up the local farmer/hunt and get him to remove it?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

The LD decision to enter the Coalition must be the greatest strategic error made by any British political party for at least a century.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The whole system is mad!
    I reckon Mike is on holiday during the Republican convention.

That makes it nailed on there's a brokered convention.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dump it in the road further away from your neighbours? Bury it? Call up the local farmer/hunt and get him to remove it?

The first two of those are illegal, I believe.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Charles said:

That's why they invented nighttime :open_mouth:
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The whole system is mad!
    The Democrat system seems alot better. Except the whole superdelegate thing. If Hillary wins it needing those (Which looks highly doubtful at the moment) there'll be massive ruptions from the Sanders supporters, they'll be hard enough to all get on board anyway.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I have the lurgy so can someone please insert the appropriate Smiths song titles in here

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/morrissey-seriously-considering-standing-for-mayor-of-london-a3196956.html

'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' - second thoughts, maybe not....
  • Options

The LD decision to enter the Coalition must be the greatest strategic error made by any British political party for at least a century.
    Ramsay MacDonald would like to have a word with you.
  • Options
    If it's smothered in flies now, you're three weeks from the maggots maturing and the carcass being picked clean, probably easier to leave it and wait/bury the leftovers. Moving a corpse like this is messy as it falls apart.

Options:

• Options

Options:

How big is your garden ?

And how big is the deer o_O ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Options:

No local hunt afaik. The local farmer (whose sheep often come into the garden) doesn't seem too bothered with collecting his own dead sheep (or fencing his sheep in) so I doubt he would be helpful.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

Clearly he'll get beaten by Galloway... "Bigmouth Strikes Again"
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The whole system is mad!

Hopefully they'll go for Paul Ryan if it's a brokered convention. Everyone has a nice shiny green number next to him, right :D ?
  • Options
    Burying it is awkward cos there is a layer of hard gravel about two feet under the whole garden!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Options:

Eek - gets some logs and build a funeral pyre.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029

And the alternative was? The pound and the markets were shaky, and a minority government, even with a formal C&S, was unlikely to stabilise them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

The whole system is mad!

Hopefully they'll go for Paul Ryan if it's a brokered convention. Everyone has a nice shiny green number next to him, right :D ?
    Yup. Fortunately I now have a very balanced book on the GOP nomination (and no that isn't code that I lose no matter whom the nominee is)
  • Options

Options:

Eek - gets some logs and build a funeral pyre.
    May be you could do the whole Viking farewell ceremony thing?
  • Options
    Apropos the earlier '`Surgeon suspended after Hijab row'.......the Sun might have wanted to do a little digging on their 'victim'

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.id/2016/03/sun-nhs-hijab-splash-busted.html?m=1
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

I would lay odds that many of the Leavers on here have known and embraced more foreign or strange things in their time than you have. Some of us have had the courses of antibiotics to prove it :-)

More seriously, you are still equating anti-EU with anti-Europe. They are in no way the same thing. </blockquotes

My original post was simply concurring with Foxinssox's comment that "the tone of the Leave campaign is being set by the xenophobes"

I worked in 15 or more countries before I retired and spend only half my time in the UK now so your first comment doesn't stack up I'm afraid. Always risky to make assumptions about people you don't know.

More seriously, as you say, the point I keep reiterating is the the LEAVE camp are playing a dishonest and dangerous game courting the xenophobic vote in order to win knowing full well that the Government will negotiate a trade deal that makers little difference, if any, to immigration. Will LEAVERS be able to hold that line till June, who knows?

• Options

Apropos the earlier '`Surgeon suspended after Hijab row'.......the Sun might have wanted to do a little digging on their 'victim'

Point out what he has said that isn't true?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Two years out of the EU and we could fund it from our savings.

Imagine that, a world where the UK is self sufficient...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

In or out the EU, paying the wrong price for a power station isn't a smart idea.
  • Options

There's so much I want to say about this story and this chap but I'll get my Dad and his colleagues (Muslim and non Muslim alike) into trouble.
  • Options
    George pulls his punches:

George Galloway ‏@georgegalloway 2m2 minutes ago
    The blood of Lee Rigby now stains the Labour Mayoral campaign. It must be expunged #KhanmustGo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cc8cgdEW4AA_bF4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    isam said:

I don't know.

Neither do you.

Because it appears to be single sourced

Sloppy journalism at best.....

And forgive me for being a trifle sceptical - but the veracity of a self confessed Islamophobe on the matter surely raises the odd question?
  • Options
    Completely off topic, good piece about the current Premier League season:

http://www.football365.com/news/leicester-premier-league-who-wants-to-go-back-to-normal-now
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

In or out the EU, paying the wrong price for a power station isn't a smart idea.
    Agree.

Who do we blame for this energy mess, previous governments I assume
  • Options

http://www.football365.com/news/leicester-premier-league-who-wants-to-go-back-to-normal-now

Should I be betting on Chelsea to qualify on Wednesday ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited March 2016
    Shameless self-promotion

The limited edition signed hardback version of The Adventures of Sir Edric is now up for pre-order:
    http://shop.ticketyboopress.co.uk/index.php?id_product=97&controller=product

There's going to be 100, and then that's it, so if you're interesting in comedy that's more amusing than a ferret in custard, do get in early.

There's a voucher code to get a £5 discount during the pre-order period [I should stress the publisher came up with it] if you use the code 'rumpy-pumpy'.

Edited extra bit: two free short stories here give a taste of the comedy style, for those curious:
    http://thaddeuswhite.weebly.com/free-stories.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2016
    Wanderer said:

On the GOP race:

Trump 391
    Cruz 304
    Rubio 148
    Kasich 37

I think the last few days have been good above all for Hillary. Trump has started to look less Teflon-coated and (imo) clearly beatable. And if the GOP don't nominate Trump he will surely run as an independent, so Hillary still wins.

I'm coming round to the JackW HCW... er, can't remember the rest.
    They all do in the end .... :smile:

Hillary Clinton Will Be The Forty Fifth President Of The United States

HCWBTFFPOTUS

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I would rather they use the money to raise the 40% thresholds than waste it on a white elephant.
  • Options

isam said:

I don't know.

Neither do you.

And forgive me for being a trifle sceptical - but the veracity of a self confessed Islamophobe on the matter surely raises the odd question?
    The quotes in the article you link to

Re Rotherham

"The rape of children - ‘Easy white meat’”

Re Mosques opening

"Mosques there are growing like mushrooms after rain”

Re growing number of Muslims in Europe

"Islamisation of Europe is a process that is unstoppable and probably irreversible"

All seem factual enough to me

The others, "Violence is inspired by Islam”, may or may not be fact depending on the context. There are plenty of situations(7/7, Rigby, Isis) where it is perfectly accurate
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    isam said:

Is there any mileage in the theory that if Clegg had said no to a coalition, we may not have had this referendum, and would be less likely to leave the EU?
    Actually I think that's a good point.

I was quite taken by @anothernick's comment that "The LD decision to enter the Coalition must be the greatest strategic error made by any British political party for at least a century"... it certainly hasn't worked out well for them.

I was beginning to think that the LD implosion, largely self-created, was going to need upgrading from HUGE mistake to MAHOOSIVE mistake, because the state of the playing field right now would have been their best opportunity since their 80s peak to get back into the big time, and an even better opportunity, given Corbyn's poll ratings, to translate that into permanent gains of seats - and the fact they're hardly on the pitch means they've squandered far more than the "give us a couple of electoral cycles to recover to our 90s strength" they probably thought was their worst case scenario.

But I think you're right - we've arguably only reached this state of play as a result of the Coalition. It's not clear that staying out of government would have given the Lib Dems an opportunity to grasp at this time (and even if some similar scenario had opened up, it isn't at all clear that they would have been able to take it, of course).
  • Options
    edited March 2016

There's so much I want to say about this story and this chap but I'll get my Dad and his colleagues (Muslim and non Muslim alike) into trouble.
    The crucial bit of information is the incident occurred 3 years ago. It is the Islamophobic blogging, which includes the story of this incident that he has been sanctioned over.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @hugorifkind: The peerless bullshit of Brexit. These people have fought to prevent directly-elected EU roles, so as to keep them illegitimate. Now, they..

@hugorifkind: ...complain they aren't democratic enough. They've also fought for Turkish inclusion, as a brake to "ever-closer union". Now they complain..

@hugorifkind: ... that the EU wants to invite Turkey in. It's completely and amazingly shameless.
  • Options
    @GeoffM how will your compatriots react to being threatened by Spain?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3480292/Spain-demand-control-Gibraltar-day-Brexit-warns-foreign-minister-sparks-fresh-row-Rock.html

Of course it's irrelevant, because Spain can demand all they want, but they won't get it without the consent of the UK government or an invasion
  • Options

Whoever wins it this year will be the worst team in premier league history to do so
  • Options
    For someone who apparently doesn't want either side to win, you've an odd way of showing it.

I'm a fan of Hugo in all matters non political. He's a keen Remainer. And metro liberal.
    Scott_P said:

@hugorifkind: The peerless bullshit of Brexit. These people have fought to prevent directly-elected EU roles, so as to keep them illegitimate. Now, they..

@hugorifkind: ...complain they aren't democratic enough. They've also fought for Turkish inclusion, as a brake to "ever-closer union". Now they complain..

@hugorifkind: ... that the EU wants to invite Turkey in. It's completely and amazingly shameless.

• Options
    Charles said:

@GeoffM how will your compatriots react to being threatened by Spain?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3480292/Spain-demand-control-Gibraltar-day-Brexit-warns-foreign-minister-sparks-fresh-row-Rock.html

Of course it's irrelevant, because Spain can demand all they want, but they won't get it without the consent of the UK government or an invasion

I love the way the Spanish want to get Gibraltar from us, but seem to have no interest in handing over Ceuta and Melilla to the Moroccans.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,384
    Charles said:

Charles said:

That's why they invented nighttime :open_mouth:
    Very unlucky also of all those badgers to be killed just by the side of the road...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    isam said:

Whoever wins it this year will be the worst team in premier league history to do so
    I think if Arsenal somehow managed to do it they'd certainly be the worst Arsenal side to have won the title. But I think Leicester have been excellent. If they can beat United's 75 point total from 1996-97 then I think it would be unfair to describe them as the worst team to win it.
  • Options

I'm not if that is any indication.

Those nights when we have pulled it out of the bag before, Napoli etc, we had Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba as the big guns to get us through it. We don't have that these days, though Uncle Guus has a bit of magic about him, and we only got knocked out of the CL last time he was here by that bent ref against Barcelona.

There is zero chance we will keep a clean sheet, which will make it very tough.
  • Options
    New Michigan polls out (FOX 2 Detroit) All post-debate fieldwork. Trump 22% ahead and Clinton 37% ahead. Now, where's Speedy gone to?
  • Options

I'm not if that is any indication.

Those nights when we have pulled it out of the bag before, Napoli etc, we had Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba as the big guns to get us through it. We don't have that these days, though Uncle Guus has a bit of magic about him, and we only got knocked out of the CL last time he was here by that bent ref against Barcelona.

There is zero chance we will keep a clean sheet, which will make it very tough.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,384

Charles said:

Options:

No local hunt afaik. The local farmer (whose sheep often come into the garden) doesn't seem too bothered with collecting his own dead sheep (or fencing his sheep in) so I doubt he would be helpful.
    Sounds like you should move to London.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    OllyT said:

New Michigan polls out (FOX 2 Detroit) All post-debate fieldwork. Trump 22% ahead and Clinton 37% ahead. Now, where's Speedy gone to?

The one clear lay in the POTUS market is Sanders. I make him to be 400 delegates behind in a week's time.

My ST forecast was 3 delegates out btw ;)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I don't know.

Neither do you.

"Islamisation of Europe is a process that is unstoppable and probably irreversible"

All seem factual enough to me
    Do you see a majority Muslim Europe within our lifetimes?

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    OllyT said:

I worked in 15 or more countries before I retired and spend only half my time in the UK now so your first comment doesn't stack up I'm afraid. Always risky to make assumptions about people you don't know.

Olly old chap you clearly missed the smiley and the reference to embracing and antibiotics.

I would hope that no matter how many countries you worked in you didn't embrace the locals in quite the manner or with quite the consequences I was intimating.
  • Options
    isam said:

Even if Arsenal pull it out the bag :D ?

How do you see the odds for the title race out of interest.
  • Options
    Agreed. There was a question mark about how much damage Romney and last weeks debate had had plus that one ARG poll that put Kaisch 2% up in Michigan. Looks like that was a complete rogue now. Clinton is home and dry and it looks like Trump could wrap it up in the next ten days. Wins in Michigan, Florida, Ohio and Illinois would just about seal it and he has huge poll leads in each.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Actually I think that's a good point.

I was quite taken by @anothernick's comment that "The LD decision to enter the Coalition must be the greatest strategic error made by any British political party for at least a century"... it certainly hasn't worked out well for them.

I was beginning to think that the LD implosion, largely self-created, was going to need upgrading from HUGE mistake to MAHOOSIVE mistake, because the state of the playing field right now would have been their best opportunity since their 80s peak to get back into the big time, and an even better opportunity, given Corbyn's poll ratings, to translate that into permanent gains of seats - and the fact they're hardly on the pitch means they've squandered far more than the "give us a couple of electoral cycles to recover to our 90s strength" they probably thought was their worst case scenario.

But I think you're right - we've arguably only reached this state of play as a result of the Coalition. It's not clear that staying out of government would have given the Lib Dems an opportunity to grasp at this time (and even if some similar scenario had opened up, it isn't at all clear that they would have been able to take it, of course).

They should have offered the Tories confidence & supply. They would have taken a hit but nowhere near as big as the one they actually took. The had a model - the Lib Lab pact of 1977. But the lure of cabinet posts and status was too strong - not for the first time the Liberals were destroyed by the personal vanity of their leadership.
This discussion has been closed.