Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After the Romney attack on Trump the latest GOP Nominee TV

Comments

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,781

I'm on the BBC's Daily Politics this morning

Good luck Mike! I will tune in. Don't forget to mention your Obama bet at 50/1.

:-)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Baddiel: In Edinburgh. David Cameron at my hotel, sat a table of 6 for breakfast. Which I think *is* the Scottish Conservative Conference.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At this point, even if the Republicans found a way to stop Trump couldn't he just run as an independent and be in with a decent chance?

Pulpstar said:

Back to the US - Can anyone suggest a universe in which Michael Bloomberg gets the republican nomination ?

A third party candidacy by Bloomberg or Trump has as much chance of success as Aston Villa has of winning the Champions League next season.
    People said that of Leicester this time last year!

Though David Camerons Villa are truly pants, an astute move for him to switch to West Ham. He does rather like ham as I understand...
    They didn't say Leicester City would win the Champions League this year .... :smile:
    To be fair, that is next years target...
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'The negotiations were not about reforming the EU'

...and the revisionism continues. Compare and contrast this statement with everything the Prime Minister said about these negotiations before they began, during the process and immediately after.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,944
    Scott_P said:

@Baddiel: In Edinburgh. David Cameron at my hotel, sat a table of 6 for breakfast. Which I think *is* the Scottish Conservative Conference.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-35695699
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

JackW said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

At this point, even if the Republicans found a way to stop Trump couldn't he just run as an independent and be in with a decent chance?

Pulpstar said:

Back to the US - Can anyone suggest a universe in which Michael Bloomberg gets the republican nomination ?

A third party candidacy by Bloomberg or Trump has as much chance of success as Aston Villa has of winning the Champions League next season.
    People said that of Leicester this time last year!

Though David Camerons Villa are truly pants, an astute move for him to switch to West Ham. He does rather like ham as I understand...
    They didn't say Leicester City would win the Champions League this year .... :smile:
    To be fair, that is next years target...
    Thought Tuesday nights draw was the beginning of the end of the fairytale, then came Happy Wednesday.....
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Tell you what. Stop making personal points. I don't think I've ever been rude to you.

You're voting Remain for understable personal reasons given you're an expat. I have a different view that this is a strategic decision that will impact the lives of Brits for another 40 yrs, and long after my demise.
    felix said:

Towards the end of the 1975 European referendum campaign, someone produced a spoof political broadcast warning of the dire consequences if we voted to leave.

Britain would be invaded by poisonous snakes, many of them millions of miles long, who would creep into our homes in the dead of night and eat our children in their beds.

...I can only assume that someone at this year's Remain campaign has stumbled across this sketch in the archives, failed to realise it was a joke, and has taken it as a blueprint for scaring us to vote to stay in the EU.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3475773/Snakes-alive-Threats-Calais-ex-pats-rounded-doom-mongering-City-long-Remain-campaign-suggests-giant-rats-invade-asks-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN.html
    I think you're overloading on the Daily Mail links - and I love their gossip pages.

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,781
    All this talk about Aston Villa is very insensitive. Please don't intrude on private grief.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-35695699
    That's 'Consevative and Unionist' thank you very kindly.....
  • Options
    What?

Roger said:

When this site reduces to the level of discussing an article by Quentin Letts you know that the philistines have taken over

Ah yes, us uneducated, ill informed masses appal the Leftie whose schooling cost £30,000 a year so much we should not be allowed an opinion.

What elitist bollocks.
    Please argue in a sensible manner and do not reduce things to personal insults
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058
    stjohn said:

JackW said:

stjohn said:

JackW said:

An alternative view in the Guardian:

This is the game we play after every Republican debate: the mainstream press corps finds some tortured explanation for why Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz won, and then days later Donald Trump rises in the polls. In a night where CNN ran a headline reading “Donald Trump defends size of his penis,” the man has probably won yet again.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/04/donald-trump-republican-debate-performance-detroit

Entirely accurate.

The same was true of last night. The very reason why conventional wisdom regularly delivers the death knell to Trump's candidacy is the same reason he appeals to his supporters and continues to outflank his opponents. In that contest the risible comments by @Speedy were an object lesson. He completely misreads Trumpophilia.

Two points I'd highlight from the debate. Firstly according to CNN research Trump dominated the airtime in the debate by a margin of 2:1 over any other candidate and secondly the killer moment for me was when the other candidates were forced to endorse a Trump candidacy if he were the nominee. The grin on Trump's face said it all - his small hands had them all by the goolies regardless of the size of their todger.
    Jack W. How do you rate Trump's current odds in terms of value?

GOP nominee 1.53-1.54
    POTUS 4.9-5.0
    The nominee odds look too skinny. It'll be Trump unless he marginally falls short and a brokered convention ensues. With many winner takes all primaries looming and Trump's poll numbers holding up a brokered convention looks vanishingly unlikely.

The POTUS odds remain value as a trading bet. There's bound to be a shortening movement during the campaign. The trick, as ever, will be when to cash in.
    Thanks. That's how I see it too. Trump's implied odds for POTUS once he's nominee are 3.2 which seem too big to me. But of course the attacks on him by his "own side" won't help his ultimate bid to be POTUS.
    I see a bit more value in POTUS at this stage rather than Rep Nom.

You could always take the 8-15 DEM from Skybet and back Trump on Betfair if you don't mind tieing up stake and are feeling particularly cautious.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2016
    runnymede said:

...and the revisionism continues. Compare and contrast this statement with everything the Prime Minister said about these negotiations before they began, during the process and immediately after.

Here are Cameron's own words about reforming the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/10700644/David-Cameron-the-EU-is-not-working-and-we-will-change-it.html

And these -

'David Cameron to set out case for EU reform in Hamburg speech'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/12/david-cameron-eu-reform-hamburg-speech-germany

David Cameron sets out EU reform goals

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34770875

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

stjohn said:

JackW said:

This is the game we play after every Republican debate: the mainstream press corps finds some tortured explanation for why Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz won, and then days later Donald Trump rises in the polls. In a night where CNN ran a headline reading “Donald Trump defends size of his penis,” the man has probably won yet again.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/04/donald-trump-republican-debate-performance-detroit

Entirely accurate.

The same was true of last night. The very reason why conventional wisdom regularly delivers the death knell to Trump's candidacy is the same reason he appeals to his supporters and continues to outflank his opponents. In that contest the risible comments by @Speedy were an object lesson. He completely misreads Trumpophilia.

Two points I'd highlight from the debate. Firstly according to CNN research Trump dominated the airtime in the debate by a margin of 2:1 over any other candidate and secondly the killer moment for me was when the other candidates were forced to endorse a Trump candidacy if he were the nominee. The grin on Trump's face said it all - his small hands had them all by the goolies regardless of the size of their todger.

GOP nominee 1.53-1.54
    POTUS 4.9-5.0
    The nominee odds look too skinny. It'll be Trump unless he marginally falls short and a brokered convention ensues. With many winner takes all primaries looming and Trump's poll numbers holding up a brokered convention looks vanishingly unlikely.

The POTUS odds remain value as a trading bet. There's bound to be a shortening movement during the campaign. The trick, as ever, will be when to cash in.
    Jack how is your ARSE looking in terms of DTWNBPOTUS against DTICIPOTUS?
    In fine shape.

Clearly we're still a few months away from the formal unveiling of my ARSE for POTUS and there are some internals to be worked on but I hope as usual to provide an unparalleled and exclusive service to the PB community as in 08 and 12.

Notwithstanding the above I can confidently confirm that for 2016 :

Donald Trump Will Not Be Elected President of The United States

DTWNBEPOTUS

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Towards the end of the 1975 European referendum campaign, someone produced a spoof political broadcast warning of the dire consequences if we voted to leave.

Britain would be invaded by poisonous snakes, many of them millions of miles long, who would creep into our homes in the dead of night and eat our children in their beds.

...I can only assume that someone at this year's Remain campaign has stumbled across this sketch in the archives, failed to realise it was a joke, and has taken it as a blueprint for scaring us to vote to stay in the EU.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3475773/Snakes-alive-Threats-Calais-ex-pats-rounded-doom-mongering-City-long-Remain-campaign-suggests-giant-rats-invade-asks-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN.html

This morning I was talking to a non-political friend, who takes little or no interest in politics most of the time, suddenly raised the EU with me. His family own a flat in Spain - he seemed genuinely fearful about what could happen to it if we leave. "I couldn't sell it, all the Brits would be leaving, they would lose free healthcare etc etc". He said the EU ref was desperately important to him and leaving would be a disaster.

Project Fear is working. And there will be more......
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,080
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9644

Tory members far less bothered about the EU than is apparent from reading some of the posters on here. Who knew? :)

I've written Sunday's thread on that, headlined

Not even Tory members are obsessed about the EU, so if you are, then you're a loon in a minority.
    I'll waste no time in reading your cogitations. Thanks for the spoiler.
    ROFL - nothing like an open mind :)
    And you have nothing like an open mind.
    Another one who doesn't want to read the poll info.
    I read the poll info in May thanks, turned out to be as funny as the Daily Meeks.
    The poll was done a few days ago - do keep up.
    Nigel was referring to the lack of accuracy of the polls ahead of last year's GE. Do keep up.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Andrew Neil made the point on This Week that it's incredible to contrast Cameron's statements but a few weeks back - that he would lead the Brexit charge, if he didn't get the miniscule changes he was demanding** with Cameron now predicting Armageddon if we leave.

** He didn't get them.
  • Options

I'm on the BBC's Daily Politics this morning

Best get the sunglasses out .... :smile:
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

JackW said:

As the Kiwi electorate go to the polls for the their flag referendum it appears from the latest poll that the current flag will be retained - 59/32 :

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11600218

That's good news.
    Why?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Tell you what. Stop making personal points. I don't think I've ever been rude to you.

You're voting Remain for understable personal reasons given you're an expat. I have a different view that this is a strategic decision that will impact the lives of Brits for another 40 yrs, and long after my demise.

felix said:

I think you're overloading on the Daily Mail links - and I love their gossip pages.

Que??? My point was valid - it's a political debating site and I think you're overdoing the links.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,783
    Pulpstar said:

stjohn said:

JackW said:

stjohn said:

JackW said:

Entirely accurate.

GOP nominee 1.53-1.54
    POTUS 4.9-5.0

Thanks. That's how I see it too. Trump's implied odds for POTUS once he's nominee are 3.2 which seem too big to me. But of course the attacks on him by his "own side" won't help his ultimate bid to be POTUS.
    I see a bit more value in POTUS at this stage rather than Rep Nom.

You could always take the 8-15 DEM from Skybet and back Trump on Betfair if you don't mind tieing up stake and are feeling particularly cautious.
    For those interested on the possibility of a contested convention. FiveThirtyEight have a tracker of whether The Donald is on target with delegates. He is 113% of target at present, apparently:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-just-barely-on-track-to-win-the-gop-nomination/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,385
    PAW said:

London’s technology sector could employ talent from the UK.

I don't think there are that many unemployed 24 year old computer science graduates in the UK.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Tory members far less bothered about the EU than is apparent from reading some of the posters on here. Who knew? :)

Not even Tory members are obsessed about the EU, so if you are, then you're a loon in a minority.
    I read the poll info in May thanks, turned out to be as funny as the Daily Meeks.
    Nigel was referring to the lack of accuracy of the polls ahead of last year's GE. Do keep up.
    I agree there are problems with polling - not least over this issue - doesn't mean on this site they get ignored. BTW are you standing in as he's on a break? :)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    felix said:

chestnut said:

felix said:

chestnut said:

felix said:

Labour members are deliriously happy with Corbyn. Three million Labour voters are not.

What is the evidence that the voters are turning away from Cam's Conservative party?
    The evidence that he is on the wrong side of his 2015 vote over the EU is contained in poll after poll.

Imagining that opposition will remain permanently comatose under Corbyn is a dangerous game.

When the economy turns, and it shows signs that it already is, Cameron and Osborne will become the Blue Blair and Brown.
    We had 5 years of this sort of nonsense after 2010 - your nerves are frayed - guess who the PM and CoE are?
    They were elected to do a repair job.

Only fools would have expected it to be done on day one.

It is now year six. Therein lies the difference.
  • Options
    For those who know little, it must be worrying, especially so when it's your own PM is claiming it.

Leave expected Cameron to be a huge asset for Remain, but when he's pissing off his own loyal team - he needs to think again.

The Tories are bigger than one referendum or one man. I fear he's demob happy and forgotten this. Never expected to feel like this.

This morning I was talking to a non-political friend, who takes little or no interest in politics most of the time, suddenly raised the EU with me. His family own a flat in Spain - he seemed genuinely fearful about what could happen to it if we leave. "I couldn't sell it, all the Brits would be leaving, they would lose free healthcare etc etc". He said the EU ref was desperately important to him and leaving would be a disaster.

• Options
    CEASEFIRE CALL.

As one if the guilty parties in the bad language and insults game I would like to propose a truce.

OGH is on Daily Politics today and that is likely to drag in a lot of extra interest in the site. Given that a lot if us are regulars who want this site to survive and thrive can I suggest that for the next couple of days we try and get rid of the insults and swearing. I realise that for some of us - me included - that is like trying to get Father Jack to give up drink but I figure the last thing people want to see when get visit to see what we are about is insults and personal attacks.

Just a suggestion.
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

As one if the guilty parties in the bad language and insults game I would like to propose a truce.

OGH is on Daily Politics today and that is likely to drag in a lot of extra interest in the site. Given that a lot if us are regulars who want this site to survive and thrive can I suggest that for the next couple of days we try and get rid of the insults and swearing. I realise that for some of us - me included - that is like trying to get Father Jack to give up drink but I figure the last thing people want to see when get visit to see what we are about is insults and personal attacks.

Just a suggestion.

Good call.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PAW said:

I don't think there are that many unemployed 24 year old computer science graduates in the UK.
    Actually there are a lot. There is a major review going on to find out how comp sci needs to change:

"Sir Nigel Shadbolt, notes that computer science has consistently had the highest rate of unemployed graduates of any subject in the UK."

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/what-should-we-be-teaching-the-next-generation-of-computer-scientists
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited March 2016
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

stjohn said:

JackW said:

Entirely accurate.

GOP nominee 1.53-1.54
    POTUS 4.9-5.0

In fine shape.

Clearly we're still a few months away from the formal unveiling of my ARSE for POTUS and there are some internals to be worked on but I hope as usual to provide an unparalleled and exclusive service to the PB community as in 08 and 12.

DTWNBEPOTUS

When do you anticipate the first exertions of your EuroARSE? I am on tenterhooks.
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

felix said:

chestnut said:

felix said:

chestnut said:

felix said:

Labour members are deliriously happy with Corbyn. Three million Labour voters are not.

What is the evidence that the voters are turning away from Cam's Conservative party?
    The evidence that he is on the wrong side of his 2015 vote over the EU is contained in poll after poll.

Imagining that opposition will remain permanently comatose under Corbyn is a dangerous game.

When the economy turns, and it shows signs that it already is, Cameron and Osborne will become the Blue Blair and Brown.
    We had 5 years of this sort of nonsense after 2010 - your nerves are frayed - guess who the PM and CoE are?
    They were elected to do a repair job.

Only fools would have expected it to be done on day one.

It is now year six. Therein lies the difference.
    Surely the big difference is that the Tory poll lead is somewhat bigger now than it was for most of the last Parliament. I'm not being complacent but I think it's best not to get over-excited by things like monthly PMIs or the shenanigans over the referendum which the sceptics wanted and Cameron has delivered.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    rcs1000 said:

PAW said:

A friend of mine was made redundant a week ago, he had an interview yesterday for a job that pays £50k, today he was given it subject to referencing. There is a massive skills shortage in the sector.

London already sucks in so much ComSci talent from the rest of the country. My cousin from Scotland came down last year for a job with Parkopedia and isn't going back to Glasgow for love nor money.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    chestnut said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Isn't it remarkable that Cameron is so weak that he's forced to allow such a level of disloyalty from IDS a man with a history of disloyalty?

It shows how weak his position in his own party is and for he has Jeremy Corbyn to thank. With even a half decent opposition IDS would be out on his ear after calling his own leader 'dishonest'

No it isn't. Its the price of having won the election, allowing free debate on the EU... The Dave bashers on here are so one eyed, its scarcely readable..
    and the sycophants have their lips to close to his @rse they can't see what is happening in the world.
    They missed seeing a supine Cameron cowering before Hollande on behalf of a 'weak and weedy' Britain 'incapable of making it in the world alone', in Amiens yesterday.

What an unedifying spectacle.
    " Lions led by donkeys ". I wish Donkey Dave would go away.
    Dave's centrist mush increasingly resembles the under-performing, under-delivering Blair's. When he talks about the NHS he babbles on about 'inputs' in typical New Labour way.

This week's Markit PMIs when looked at in conjunction with Public Sector Finances and Migration figures point to a whole stack of trouble just around the bend and an economy and public sector no better placed than when Brown was at number 11.
    It is becoming clearer that Cameron and Osborne are not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,908

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.
    Can't we just stick with personal insults which have nothing to do with politics Dorothy ?
  • Options
    @gabyhinsliff: The more indignant Outers get about Project Fear, the more I conclude it's working. Winning sides don't moan about the other's tactics.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

I agree there are problems with polling - not least over this issue - doesn't mean on this site they get ignored. BTW are you standing in as he's on a break? :)
    What makes you think I am on a break?
  • Options

For those who know little, it must be worrying, especially so when it's your own PM is claiming it.

Leave expected Cameron to be a huge asset for Remain, but when he's pissing off his own loyal team - he needs to think again.

The Tories are bigger than one referendum or one man. I fear he's demob happy and forgotten this. Never expected to feel like this.

Cameron no longer needs the Tory Party - this is about his place in history. He does not want to go down as the PM who destroyed the EU, and potentially broke up the UK. For many people Europe is an issue which transcends party loyalty. Cameron managed to kid many Tories that he put the Party first, but he was dissembling. There was never any possibility he would take the side of Leave.
  • Options

Not the view of most members according to the polling and most of the cabinet 'remain[ed]' onside.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

No need. They feed us intravenously.
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.
    Can't we just stick with personal insults which have nothing to do with politics Dorothy ?
    :)
  • Options
    taffys said:

chestnut said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Isn't it remarkable that Cameron is so weak that he's forced to allow such a level of disloyalty from IDS a man with a history of disloyalty?

It shows how weak his position in his own party is and for he has Jeremy Corbyn to thank. With even a half decent opposition IDS would be out on his ear after calling his own leader 'dishonest'

No it isn't. Its the price of having won the election, allowing free debate on the EU... The Dave bashers on here are so one eyed, its scarcely readable..
    and the sycophants have their lips to close to his @rse they can't see what is happening in the world.
    They missed seeing a supine Cameron cowering before Hollande on behalf of a 'weak and weedy' Britain 'incapable of making it in the world alone', in Amiens yesterday.

Dave's centrist mush increasingly resembles the under-performing, under-delivering Blair's. When he talks about the NHS he babbles on about 'inputs' in typical New Labour way.

This week's Markit PMIs when looked at in conjunction with Public Sector Finances and Migration figures point to a whole stack of trouble just around the bend and an economy and public sector no better placed than when Brown was at number 11.
    And yet somehow one is Prime Minister, the other Chancellor of the Exchequer....posts they have occupied for nearly six years.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@gabyhinsliff: The more indignant Outers get about Project Fear, the more I conclude it's working. Winning sides don't moan about the other's tactics.

That's a fair summation, Leave know they have an uphill task and are on the defensive.
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.
    That would be an ecumenical matter.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

I'm sticking to the truce he called :)
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.

Talking about your friend again?
  • Options

taffys said:

chestnut said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

And yet somehow one is Prime Minister, the other Chancellor of the Exchequer....posts they have occupied for nearly six years.....
    In office but not in power....
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Turnip time over for today?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

I'm sticking to the truce he called :)
    Yes me too, an excellent idea.
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.

Talking about your friend again?
    ROFL - now you sound like Dorothy Parker :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2016
    Scott_P said:

No, I’ve been assured repeatedly Project Fear is a sign of desperation by the Remain team.
  • Options
    Ipsos MORI
    Concern about #EU stronger among ABs, those aged 65+ & people in the South: https://t.co/FVG2tIisPC https://t.co/4kdQXnnyeB
  • Options

taffys said:

chestnut said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Osborne is not the chancellor on merit, he is there because his best mate lives next door. I don't agree that Dave isn't fit for purpose, I think he is a pretty good PM, if he hadn't fumbled so badly with the EU negotiation then he could have gone down as one of the greats.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    It is a long time ago now, when I was a very young lecturer at Imperial in the maths department I taught a lot of courses for computer science undergrads. I don't think the computer science degree added much of use day to day. The two best programers I know are an ex squaddie and an ex Plessey wireman. The generic computer science graduates came and went without leaving much trace.

Before the war you would have a 5 year apprenticeship in watch repairing - compressed to 6 months during the war. Why not 6 month courses in applicable software training, companies could sponser the course to match their needs. Commercial programming isn't an IQ test...
  • Options

Ipsos MORI
    Concern about #EU stronger among ABs, those aged 65+ & people in the South: https://t.co/FVG2tIisPC https://t.co/4kdQXnnyeB

Those figures suggest pretty low levels of concern all around. Surprising but encouraging.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.

But what when all these new visitors to the site discover they have been sold a false prospectus? Can't we at least still fight about the Punic Wars?
  • Options
    As Aneurin Bevan advised Winston Churchill, why look in the crystal ball when we can read the book?
    The obvious book to read is the ‘Book of Countries Which Have Left the EU’. It is, alas, both short and written in Inuit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12182032/A-British-free-trade-deal-outside-the-EU-History-shows-thats-easier-said-than-done.html
  • Options

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

stjohn said:

JackW said:

Entirely accurate.

GOP nominee 1.53-1.54
    POTUS 4.9-5.0

In fine shape.

DTWNBEPOTUS

When do you anticipate the first exertions of your EuroARSE? I am on tenterhooks.
    End of the month. A little later than I'd hoped .... :smile:
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That's a fair summation, Leave know they have an uphill task and are on the defensive.
    Fear won the Indyref and the General Election. There is every sign that it will do the same in the EU referendum.

This is not about a rational debate - it is about winning.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Fear won the Indyref and the General Election. There is every sign that it will do the same in the EU referendum.

Quite

and Leave's best chances are either to get a set of arguments on why we;re better off out ( ie lie as much as the other side ) or change the vote to a referendum on something else like the UK establishment ( the french option )
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Perhaps Leave are not being aggressive enough. They should be spreading fear about what will happen if we stay in. Its not as if there isn't enough ammunition.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited March 2016
    @Plato_Says

2015 first time asylum applicants Syria 363 000, Afghanistan 178 000, Iraq 122 000 #Eurostat https://t.co/hpRcn2Gs9F https://t.co/9AIhJFTBq3'

An excellent illustration of just how gullible Merkel and the media are,just 29% of so called asylum seekers in 2015 were from Syria followed by 26% from 'Other' countries.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Fear won the Indyref and the General Election.
    Alternatively, the proponents of both SINDY and a Labour government failed to present a persuasive case.....

Its really simple - blame your opponents - or look to yourselves.....which can you change?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Corbyn seems to address issues of poverty, inequality and defence.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058
    edited March 2016
    Saturday DEM Prediction:

Sanders to take Nebraska and Kansas.

Clinton to extend delegate lead with a big Lousiana win that overwhelms the two midwest states.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,013

As Aneurin Bevan advised Winston Churchill, why look in the crystal ball when we can read the book?
    The obvious book to read is the ‘Book of Countries Which Have Left the EU’. It is, alas, both short and written in Inuit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12182032/A-British-free-trade-deal-outside-the-EU-History-shows-thats-easier-said-than-done.html

LOL!!
  • Options
    taffys said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps Leave are not being aggressive enough. They should be spreading fear about what will happen if we stay in. Its not as if there isn't enough ammunition.
    The trouble is, we've been fed a steady diet of the calamity that is the EU and how disaster is just around to corner from Nigel & his merry men for years now......why should they start being believable now?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Scott_P said:

they should trade on envy.

EU works for well off why not you

You've paid your taxes what about Amazon etc.

• Options

taffys said:

Scott_P said:

The trouble is, we've been fed a steady diet of the calamity that is the EU and how disaster is just around to corner from Nigel & his merry men for years now......why should they start being believable now?
    Did you see how our PM crawled before Hollande ?

I wonder how much worse it is with Angela ?
  • Options
    PAW said:

It is a long time ago now, when I was a very young lecturer at Imperial in the maths department I taught a lot of courses for computer science undergrads. I don't think the computer science degree added much of use day to day. The two best programers I know are an ex squaddie and an ex Plessey wireman. The generic computer science graduates came and went without leaving much trace.

Before the war you would have a 5 year apprenticeship in watch repairing - compressed to 6 months during the war. Why not 6 month courses in applicable software training, companies could sponser the course to match their needs. Commercial programming isn't an IQ test...

Apparently there are " 'concerns from industry about the skills, agility and work-readiness' of computer science graduates."

So fits with your analysis.

I too taught programming a good few years ago. Many of the students were on combined courses with other subjects - they were the ones who really struggled with programming. I felt we were teaching them the wrong language - C++. Far too complicated for a first language. Bring back Pascal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Quite

and Leave's best chances are either to get a set of arguments on why we;re better off out ( ie lie as much as the other side ) or change the vote to a referendum on something else like the UK establishment ( the french option )
    It is very hard for Leave to deal conclusively with the fear factor since they have to convince people that bad things - loss of trade, visa restrictions, hordes of jihadis coming through Calais etc etc - would NOT happen. Remain, on the other hand, does not have to convince people that bad things WOULD happen if we left - all they have to do is arouse fears that they MIGHT happen. This is much easier. At the moment Leave seem to have no coherent response to this dilemma. Dismissing BMW and the French government (and anyone else they disagree with) as scaremongers is wholly unconvincing.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'It's incredible to contrast Cameron's statements but a few weeks back - that he would lead the Brexit charge, if he didn't get the miniscule changes he was demanding** with Cameron now predicting Armageddon if we leave. '

Yes he has been entirely inconsistent.

• Options

Ipsos MORI

Isn't that AB finding in conflict with other polling evidence?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

PAW said:

Apparently there are " 'concerns from industry about the skills, agility and work-readiness' of computer science graduates."

So fits with your analysis.

I too taught programming a good few years ago. Many of the students were on combined courses with other subjects - they were the ones who really struggled with programming. I felt we were teaching them the wrong language - C++. Far too complicated for a first language. Bring back Pascal.

These days best to learn Javascript.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    isam said:

I see the subject that shrewides say LEAVE should avoid mentioning is top of people's concerns in the latest IPSOS MORI, while stories of Migrants causing havoc all over Europe dominate the headlines

But your average voter is motivated by the affect on the city and GDP they say...

You repeat this often, but I don’t think anyone is saying discussion on immigration should be ignored, just that such a blunt tool should not be the be all and end all of the Leave campaign.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,010
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

stjohn said:

JackW said:

Entirely accurate.

GOP nominee 1.53-1.54
    POTUS 4.9-5.0

In fine shape.

DTWNBEPOTUS

Interesting.

Do let us know when the internals of your ARSE have been resolved.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Quite

It is very hard for Leave to deal conclusively with the fear factor since they have to convince people that bad things - loss of trade, visa restrictions, hordes of jihadis coming through Calais etc etc - would NOT happen. Remain, on the other hand, does not have to convince people that bad things WOULD happen if we left - all they have to do is arouse fears that they MIGHT happen. This is much easier. At the moment Leave seem to have no coherent response to this dilemma. Dismissing BMW and the French government (and anyone else they disagree with) as scaremongers is wholly unconvincing.
    They should be using the Mandy Rice Davies defence and then go on the attack as to why big business is lining it's pockets at everyone elses expense.

There is still a very surly mood following the recession that the economic fruits are not fairly distributed - tie that to EU porkbarelling and Leave could hack in to a huge slew of voters on the left,
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Suzanne Evans sacked by Farage again. Julia Reid to be Ukip Welfare spokesman
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Leave are definitely playing defence, not offence right now.

And it's the Tories who are struggling with the unexpected assault from their own side.

Leave needs to decide how to deal with this whilst not alienating their colleagues and fellow friends. Fortunately, there's 100 days to go and Remain have deployed the kitchen sink already.

I think Cameron has made a massive error in his behaviour here. And know I'm not alone amongst members.

Scott_P said:

Quite

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    PAW said:

Mrs Thatcher's government had that (sort of) for the long-term unemployed. I had to choose between a postgrad diploma in AI and six months of Unix and C. There were lots of non-computer courses too, iirc. Trouble is, the introduction of tuition fees makes it harder to repeat these offers, or would-be postgrads will game the system by leaving their jobs to qualify and save themselves £8,000 or whatever an MSc costs these days.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,070

Ipsos MORI

It could just be an unusual sub-sample, or maybe it's older AB voters living outside cities who are very concerned.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Alanbrooke

'They should be using the Mandy Rice Davies defence and then go on the attack as to why big business is lining it's pockets at everyone elses expense.'

Or just quote Lord Rose that EU exit will lead to higher wages.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Ukip civil war round 27. Shots fired. @SuzanneEvans1: "How many times have I been purged now? I'm losing count."
  • Options
    That struck me as well and wondered if it was my imagination.

Polling is all over the place.

Ipsos MORI

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,070

Scott_P said:

Quite

I think there's a good deal more cynicism towards the great and the good than there was, say, in 1975. So, I think the fear factor is less potent than it would once have been.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

chestnut said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

'

Osborne is not the chancellor on merit, he is there because his best mate lives next door. I don't agree that Dave isn't fit for purpose, I think he is a pretty good PM, if he hadn't fumbled so badly with the EU negotiation then he could have gone down as one of the greats.
    People who actually know the EU, Lord Lawson for one, made it clear for years that there was never going to be a great renegotiation. And that was at a time when the Eurozone problems were all that were preoccupying them. Now you have the migration issue as well and yet we think there's going to be a fundamental re-arrangement in our relationship with the EU when everyone else is fixated elsewhere? It was a fantasy, one I never believed largely on the basis that the people who were persuaded by it seemed to have little grasp of the EU (watch Sue Cameron on the BBC night after the election programme for one).

Perhaps Cameron could have played his hand a little better but the bigger problem for him was that Flashman never really had any cash in the bank with other EU leaders (just as he doesn't with his own MPs). I know that's a novel concept for a lot of Tories who think international diplomacy is all about threatening people with handbags but it matters. The truth is no-one really likes Dave.
  • Options

CEASEFIRE CALL.

Just a suggestion.

Well said.

But what when all these new visitors to the site discover they have been sold a false prospectus? Can't we at least still fight about the Punic Wars?
    Only in Latin.
  • Options

And it's the Tories who are struggling with the unexpected assault from their own side.

Leave needs to decide how to deal with this whilst not alienating their colleagues and fellow friends. Fortunately, there's 100 days to go and Remain have deployed the kitchen sink already.

I think Cameron has made a massive error in his behaviour here. And know I'm not alone amongst members.

Scott_P said:

Quite

While I'm quite vituperative about Osborne, I generally leave Dave alone as he does a reasonable job in the circumstances.

But yesterday ? In front of Hollande ? That was just demeaning, his frist real mistake in this campaign.

There's no point trying to trade on the authority of the office of PM and then standinng by like a chastened schoolboy while someone threatens the state you're meant to protect.

Foolish
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Quite

I think there's a good deal more cynicism towards the great and the good than there was, say, in 1975. So, I think the fear factor is less potent than it would once have been.
    But Leave aren't actively trading on that cynicism, so it's of limited value atm.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Ukip civil war round 27. Shots fired. @SuzanneEvans1: "How many times have I been purged now? I'm losing count."

Leave have to find a way of dealing with Farage. He really is a millstone for the campaign.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

Quite

While I'm quite vituperative about Osborne, I generally leave Dave alone as he does a reasonable job in the circumstances.

But yesterday ? In front of Hollande ? That was just demeaning, his frist real mistake in this campaign.

There's no point trying to trade on the authority of the office of PM and then standinng by like a chastened schoolboy while someone threatens the state you're meant to protect.

Foolish

"Foolish"

Desperate.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    rottenborough - we can agree on Delphi, there is a lot to be said for a first language that produces visible results and is uncrashable - except that desktop products are so out of favour.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Alanbrooke

'They should be using the Mandy Rice Davies defence and then go on the attack as to why big business is lining it's pockets at everyone elses expense.'

Or just quote Lord Rose that EU exit will lead to higher wages.

Lord Rose says leave the EU and it's higher wages for YOU.

We say stay in the EU and it's higher wages for just HIM.

It's your choice.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,013
    edited March 2016

Scott_P said:

Quite

They should be using the Mandy Rice Davies defence and then go on the attack as to why big business is lining it's pockets at everyone elses expense.

There is still a very surly mood following the recession that the economic fruits are not fairly distributed - tie that to EU porkbarelling and Leave could hack in to a huge slew of voters on the left,
    My feeling is that 'Leave's' only chance is to ignore the scares and invent one of their own about immigrants. Farage has already done it but no one yet wants to be seen joining him in that sesspit.

But it's all 'Leave' have got that has any chance of gaining traction and though it's plainly false never underestimate the power of blind prejudice. Remember Michael Howard and his Gypsies? Shocking but it nearly worked
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

PAW said:

Mrs Thatcher's government had that (sort of) for the long-term unemployed. I had to choose between a postgrad diploma in AI and six months of Unix and C. There were lots of non-computer courses too, iirc. Trouble is, the introduction of tuition fees makes it harder to repeat these offers, or would-be postgrads will game the system by leaving their jobs to qualify and save themselves £8,000 or whatever an MSc costs these days.
    An MSc course always cost £8000. You could argue it was gaming the system previously by taking it for free.
    As an interested question - is computer programming dependent on mathematics or scientific ability/knowledge? Is computer science really related to programming or does it lead to other fields of study/work?
  • Options
    When a Tory PM chooses tactics like this - well I'm gobsmacked.

I wanted to shout What Are You Doing?!? at the TV.

When I feel that our own man isn't even trying to look after our national pride, there's not much left to say. It's visceral.

Scott_P said:

Quite

Foolish

"Foolish"

Desperate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,539
    edited March 2016

PAW said:

An MSc course always cost £8000. You could argue it was gaming the system previously by taking it for free.
    As an interested question - is computer programming dependent on mathematics or scientific ability/knowledge? Is computer science really related to programming or does it lead to other fields of study/work?
    We should be careful not to confuse Computer Science and Computer Programming. Again, unfortunately many kids are mis-sold degrees under this guise.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Quite

It is very hard for Leave they disagree with) as scaremongers is wholly unconvincing.

My feeling is that 'Leave's' only chance is to ignore the scares and invent one of their own about immigrants. Farage has already done it but no one yet wants to be seen joining him in that sesspit. But it's all Leave have got that has any chance of gaining traction and though its plainly false never underestimate the power of blind prejudice. Remember Michael Howard and his Gypsies?
    Nah Roger, the immigration argument has already been won for Leave they can refresh memories at any time. It would be like Germany invading Poland again because they're good at it.

They have to go on the attack on their opponents turf.and take on the eonomic argument. That means finding an angle that clicks with voters and puts Rewmain on the defensive.

• Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590

Scott_P said:

Quite

Foolish
    I couldn't agree more. It was so embarrassing watching him standing next to the grinning Hollande. He has totally miscalculated with this "Project Fear" and I think he knows it. I detect there may be some rowing back soon.

At the end of the day, this is OUR VOTE and politicians and the media should remember that.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,001

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Quite

But Leave aren't actively trading on that cynicism, so it's of limited value atm.

The problem is that the only people on the Leave side with any mass credibility potential are all part of the great and the good. The Mayor of London and cabinet ministers railing against the establishment would make themselves look ridiculous.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Smirker Osborne's rowing back on pensions. The penny dropped.

'George Osborne is set to abandon a planned raid on middle-class pensions in the face of a Tory backlash.

Well-placed sources say the Chancellor will reluctantly drop plans to introduce a flat rate of tax relief on pensions in this month’s Budget.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3475761/Osborne-axes-plan-target-middle-class-pension-pots-backlash-Tories.html
This discussion has been closed.