Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Deal done – and combined with LEAVE’s Galloway error of jud

Comments

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited February 2016

I wonder how many people in the UK actually produce wealth? (Given that all labour is, in principle, replaceable by machines & computer programmes, the answer can only be entrepreneurs.) There are 600,000 business start-ups annually, of which 95% are failures.

So if we take the number of successful start-ups in the last decade as a proxy for the number of wealth creators - and I'll be glad to stand corrected if anyone has a better one - then the country would be richer if the overwhelming majority of us dropped off our perches.

Where have I misdirected myself?

Emphasis added - n the real world, plenty of people create wealth.
    But how many is "plenty" (apart from a fudge, of course)?

• Options
    scotslass said:

Thought that Salmond made a great point.......what people say before a referendum and afterwards can be two entirely different things.

You mean like

£200 million to set up an independent country

And

£600 million to set up only Social Security?

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Have I understood this correctly ?

Cameron has gone in to reclaim sovereignty and has ended up surrendering it on finance?

The quid pro quo is the temporary suspension of copious welfare handouts which will be reinstated in full in due course...

Cameron really is the heir to Blair.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited February 2016
    GG (as always) with the métaphore juste.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/698526557418217472
  • Options

watford30 said:

I see lots of self serving politicians acting in their own, rather than the Nation's interests today. Suckered into keeping their current jobs, or picking up new ones. No doubt the dithering Boris Johnson will follow them down the path later.

Galloway signing up to Leave is the kiss of death to that campaign.

It's not that Galloway wants the UK to leave the EU. He has his motives. It's that Leave invited him as a special headline speaker. Anyone heard from David Davis this morning? Where was Carswell? Why are no Leavers asking about Carswell? Is it that he actually supports immigration?
    I said yesterday when this was asked. The GO campaign is not the official campaign of LEAVE. That has not yet been decided. There are lots of LEAVE supporters who are part of Vote leave, Carswell included. Why would they be at a GO event?
  • Options

Germany Syrians now waiting for their families

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35617232

But hasn't Merkel told everyone that the Syrian refugees will all return home shortly ?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/germanys-merkel-expects-syrian-refugees-to-return-home-after-war-1454184419

• Options

I wonder how many people in the UK actually produce wealth? (Given that all labour is, in principle, replaceable by machines & computer programmes, the answer can only be entrepreneurs.) There are 600,000 business start-ups annually, of which 95% are failures.

So if we take the number of successful start-ups in the last decade as a proxy for the number of wealth creators - and I'll be glad to stand corrected if anyone has a better one - then the country would be richer if the overwhelming majority of us dropped off our perches.

That would depend on your view, but in mine generally people either (a) add value or (b) merely move it around. Most people in their jobs do both. Some are mostly (a), e.g. manufacturing, some are mostly (b) paperpushers.
  • Options

GG (as always) with the métaphore juste.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/698526557418217472

Arguably a metaphor for the EU, to be honest.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ, just went into town and was instantly tackled by 3 people giving out "stronger in" leaflets.

This is going to be a looooooong campaign
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2016
    Danny565 said:

Christ, just went into town and was instantly tackled by 3 people giving out "stronger in" leaflets.

This is going to be a looooooong campaign

And we all thought the AV referendum was bad....
  • Options
    Cicero said:

It has been a while since I ventured into the noisy Tory echo chamber, but FWIW, I think two things have happened. Firstly Cameron has realised that there is literally no good way to leave the EU and has therefore decided some time ago to put all his political capital on remain. The second is that there really are a significant number of mostly poorly educated and mostly English voters who could vote leave and break the EU and indeed the UK. Cameron is, however a very lucky politician, and even though it is a gamble, it is one that he certainly can win. With the possible exception of Gove, those lining up with Leave are the usual suspects. In fact the Leave camp are shaping up as a bunch of total losers. Murdoch will not go with the flapping of the white coats brigade, and in the end Cameron's luck will hold.

So people who consider leaving are poorly educated?

My God, what elitist bollocks that is.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    chestnut said:

Cameron has gone in to reclaim sovereignty and has ended up surrendering it on finance?

The quid pro quo is the temporary suspension of copious welfare handouts which will be reinstated in full in due course...

It does appear that way.

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/700986399852466177
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

The North Sea (and its oil) is roughly evenly split between Norway and the UK. They have 5m people and we have 60m.

Agreed. They also had a large scale power supply system based on hydroelectric so they didn't have to use so much of their oil and gas for power generation. Which all combined meant that they could almost immediately start exporting a far larger proportion of their oil to generate much larger revenues than those from production taxes alone.
    I hadn't thought of that. Interesting.
    More like bollox, they did not have a shedload of nuclear power stations that provided all their energy needs. UK just pissed it up a wall on unemployment and refurbishing London and South East.
    Sorry Malcolm but on this you are completely wrong. Hydroelectric provides about 95% of all Norway's electricity needs. Sometimes over 100% so that they export hydroelectric generated electricity to Denmark.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Have I understood this correctly ?

Cameron really is the heir to Blair. '

Yes - this is the worst kind of short-term politicking you could imagine; an attempt to win the votes of a few Daily Mail readers at the cost of potentially hamstringing the country's most successful industry.

Cameron is worse than Blair, worse than Heath even.
  • Options

That would depend on your view, but in mine generally people either (a) add value or (b) merely move it around. Most people in their jobs do both. Some are mostly (a), e.g. manufacturing, some are mostly (b) paperpushers.
    You make my point for me. You can give examples (not that I agree with them) but not a definition.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Totally O/t but just been on BBC that
    "Magician and entertainer Paul Daniels has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, his family has announced.
    A statement from his publicist said the entertainer "has sadly been diagnosed with an incurable brain tumour".
    On behalf of Daniels' family, he thanked well-wishers for their "kind concerns and support" and asked for their privacy to be respected.”

Very sad.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Umberto eco has died. I loved name of the rose
  • Options
    chestnut said:

You understand correctly.

Cameron's 'halved the bill' defeat of 2014 turns out to have been a trail run of the latest surrender.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2016

Totally O/t but just been on BBC that
    "Magician and entertainer Paul Daniels has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, his family has announced.
    A statement from his publicist said the entertainer "has sadly been diagnosed with an incurable brain tumour".
    On behalf of Daniels' family, he thanked well-wishers for their "kind concerns and support" and asked for their privacy to be respected.”

Very sad.

I know little about him personally, but it seems like he has had a very sad demise in general. From one of the biggest stars on the telly, to touring half empty village halls doing magic for OAPs to now the grim reaper coming to get him in a particular nasty way at not a particularly old age.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Could someone who has been paying attention offer a brief explanation of whats the difference between these three:

http://grassrootsout.co.uk

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org

http://leave.eu

Barking

Howling

Moaning.

Sorry, I'm a bit depressed this morning.
    I think this website:

http://www.strongerin.co.uk

Is easier on the eyes - and the front page with Will Straw next to Richard Branson gives a better impression of 'cross party' than any of 'Barking, Howling or Moaning'......I think the worst that could be said for it is 'boring'.....even if they have appropriated red white and blue as their main colours....subtle, huh?
    Are they really mad enough to use Branson?
    I suspect Branson is seen as a successful popular businessman and 'not too posh' (which of course he is, very).....and lefties will have heard of 'Will Straw'.....it goes back to this 'cross party thing'......now all they need is a piece from Nicola arguing in favour of the Union....
    or as a total cnt
    There are two views on Richard Branson:

- that he's a successful, non political, businessman
    and then
    - there are those who've met him
    Or "The t'Economist" view of his corporate-taxes....

[Src.: http://www.economist.com/node/604488 ]
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good morning all.

I've recovered my equanimity after the Galloway shock, after all, if Remain has McDonnell and Corbyn it only shows that we all have our crosses to bear.

I've been looking at the detail of Cameron's deal. It's a bad deal, made by a bad institution that doesn't seem to see the need to get better (endlessly talking about a 'reformed EU' is simply empty rhetoric). What a pity for our beloved country if we stay in. Genuinely depressed at the prospect.
  • Options
    Damn. OT Umberto Eco has died. Just last night I listed Name of the Rose as one of my all time favourite books. Very sad to think he will write no more.

RIP.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited February 2016
    Arron Banks proving himself to be the tool we all know he is, this is him on Twitter.

Lol - serious lack of judgement..VL is a Tory front for number 10!
  • Options
    Steven_WhaleySteven_Whaley Posts: 313
    edited February 2016

The party might change. I'm thinking time after next. If Remain wins by a decent wodge then leaving the EU is out for a generation and a waste of time debating for the foreseeable. Perhaps other matters will come to the fore with the membership?

I don't think the time after next is an option for Soubry, really. At 59 already she's, perhaps, older than she looks - so it'd have to be next time or never, really.

• Options

watford30 said:

I see lots of self serving politicians acting in their own, rather than the Nation's interests today. Suckered into keeping their current jobs, or picking up new ones. No doubt the dithering Boris Johnson will follow them down the path later.

It's not that Galloway wants the UK to leave the EU. He has his motives. It's that Leave invited him as a special headline speaker. Anyone heard from David Davis this morning? Where was Carswell? Why are no Leavers asking about Carswell? Is it that he actually supports immigration?
    I said yesterday when this was asked. The GO campaign is not the official campaign of LEAVE. That has not yet been decided. There are lots of LEAVE supporters who are part of Vote leave, Carswell included. Why would they be at a GO event?
    And yet it was an attendee AT the event who was querying why Carswell wasn't there.... if the supporters who attend these rallies don't understand the difference what hope is there for we non eu-obsessed plebs?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    So sad about Paul Daniels.

I remember his shows with fondness. Not a lot, but I remember them.
  • Options
    Cheers Mr Herdson, another excellent Saturday thread.
  • Options

You make my point for me. You can give examples (not that I agree with them) but not a definition.

probably I missed the earlier part of your discussion but it is interesting. why are "start-ups" venerated? what's wrong with established companies. Is it all part of the 20th century youth fetish?

also, if your business consists mainly of using up finite resources, is that really creating wealth?
  • Options
    Dan Hannan making the positive case for leave... by posting pictures of 3 laughing foreigners...

Daniel Hannan ‏@DanHannanMEP 4 mins4 minutes ago
    So Cameron says, "But this doesn't change anything", and I'm, like, "Why don't you call it "a special status?"

It's the mix of childishness and bombast that I find so appealing with the outers.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Umberto eco has died. I loved name of the rose

I can't honestly say they were my favourite novels, but NotR and Foucalt's Pendulum were both genuine tour de forces. The man was insanely intelligent and it coruscated off practically every page.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Throw ins
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

Depressing day. REMAIN will win easily now. Those of us who are genuinely undecided and who wanted a proper, exhilarating debate, like what they had in Scotland, will not be satisfied.

Boo. Not BOO. But definitely boo.

It's only one day. This was always going to be Cameron's moment to shine.

Let's see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Police Bust #IslamicState Cell Terror Cell Preparing ‘Chemical Attack’ In #MOROCCO - @AFP Report. #TerrorMonitor https://t.co/6IXugSnHsg
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    So is this emergency brake operative immediately or only after the referendum?
  • Options
    And because I'm saddened at the country's future and feeling melodramatic, here's a quote for Boris:

"Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods…illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. But they’ll never know this. Not until it’s too late."

Help us Obi wan Boris, you're our only hope :).

Now off with the dogs to recover my mood.
  • Options

runnymede said:

'Now anything included in rulebook or even "other legislative measures" on finance can be pushed through by Eurozone. And it hits all the smaller non bank outfits that really achieve success for City.'

I agree - this looks like a very serious defeat for the government and the City.

It's incredible that the PM and FO can be so desperate for a deal that they are willing to sell out our most successful industry.

This is Ted Heath's fishing sell-out multiplied by a factor of 50. Not just City workers but anyone owning property in the SE of England should be terrified by this.

The 95% of start ups that subsequently stop trading are not necessarily failures. There is a difference between "Cease to Trade" and "Failure".

Reasons to stop trading can be because the purpose for forming the company has come to a natural end; the owner(s) may have made their money and decided to move on; the owner(s) may have decided to retire; and so on.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Frank Field

"A successful vote to leave is now the only option open to ensure the fundamental reform of the EU on which the Government should have embarked. "

Precisely.

Cameron and the EU have served up sweet fudge all.

• Options
    Sky reporting John Whittingdale has committed to remain
  • Options
    Blimey, John Whittingdale backing Remain according to Sky
  • Options
    Freggles said:

So is this emergency brake operative immediately or only after the referendum?

Only after the rest of the EU agrees to it, which can only happen after the referendum.

• Options
    Hmm

James Forsyth
    Bit of a bombshell tweet from The Guardian's man in Brussels https://t.co/2vxk78bkQs

#brexit eu negotiator confident cameron's terms will be challenged in court
  • Options

Hmm

James Forsyth
    Bit of a bombshell tweet from The Guardian's man in Brussels https://t.co/2vxk78bkQs

#brexit eu negotiator confident cameron's terms will be challenged in court

Makes them sound so trustworthy....
  • Options

I think it is safe to conclude that the Tories are no longer a party for Eurosceptics. Tory MPs position on the EU is very very different to that of the members.
  • Options

Sell out.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    On financial regulation, it is far more important that we have a level playing field than the ability to set our own rules for everything. London-based firms will continue to dominate in a full single market; nowhere else has the capabilities.

I really think Leave should ditch the whole 'Europe is a conspiracy against the City' meme. The EU is not a diabolical conspiracy against England; it is a project for political and economic integration beyond what the UK considers desirable. It is our politicians who are at fault for not spelling that out when we joined, and only later with great reluctance.
  • Options
    Cameron on in 5 minutes.
  • Options

watford30 said:

And yet it was an attendee AT the event who was querying why Carswell wasn't there.... if the supporters who attend these rallies don't understand the difference what hope is there for we non eu-obsessed plebs?

Competition is a good thing. Survival of the fittest is the basis of evolution. The different LEAVE groups will be striving harder to be the one that comes out on top.

The REMAIN team may not be adapting to their environment and so become weak.

• Options

runnymede said:

'Now anything included in rulebook or even "other legislative measures" on finance can be pushed through by Eurozone. And it hits all the smaller non bank outfits that really achieve success for City.'

I agree - this looks like a very serious defeat for the government and the City.

It's incredible that the PM and FO can be so desperate for a deal that they are willing to sell out our most successful industry.

This is Ted Heath's fishing sell-out multiplied by a factor of 50. Not just City workers but anyone owning property in the SE of England should be terrified by this.

The 95% of start ups that subsequently stop trading are not necessarily failures. There is a difference between "Cease to Trade" and "Failure".

Reasons to stop trading can be because the purpose for forming the company has come to a natural end; the owner(s) may have made their money and decided to move on; the owner(s) may have decided to retire; and so on.
    Are there any published statistics on reasons to stop trading?

• Options

Sell out.
    In hindsight Tory eurosceptism was about opposition to ever closer union and joining the Euro.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I think it is safe to conclude that the Tories are no longer a party for Eurosceptics. Tory MPs position on the EU is very very different to that of the members.
    Blimey. This is getting ridiculous. How many of these MPs have told their local parties over the years how euro-sceptic they are?
  • Options
    Just awful. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/business/international/after-paris-terror-attacks-france-struggles-with-faith-on-the-job.html
    So when Christophe Salmon, a delegate for CFDT, a leading French labor union, started receiving complaints about a group of male bus drivers who were refusing to address female colleagues or shake their hands, he raised the alarm. At certain bus depots, he said, some male employees wouldn’t take the wheel of a vehicle that had been previously driven by a woman.

Rather than report the behavior to the authority’s human resource managers, Mr. Salmon said that supervisors simply adjusted the drivers’ schedules and routes to avoid handoffs between women and men. In one case, Mr. Salmon said, a woman who lived within walking distance of her depot asked to be transferred to a job across town rather than stay and continue to endure the harassment.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

MP_SE said:

Blimey. This is getting ridiculous. How many of these MPs have told their local parties over the years how euro-sceptic they are?
    Some people value power over principle
  • Options
    I appear to be getting my tory party back...
  • Options
    Cicero said:

It has been a while since I ventured into the noisy Tory echo chamber, but FWIW, I think two things have happened. Firstly Cameron has realised that there is literally no good way to leave the EU and has therefore decided some time ago to put all his political capital on remain. The second is that there really are a significant number of mostly poorly educated and mostly English voters who could vote leave and break the EU and indeed the UK. Cameron is, however a very lucky politician, and even though it is a gamble, it is one that he certainly can win. With the possible exception of Gove, those lining up with Leave are the usual suspects. In fact the Leave camp are shaping up as a bunch of total losers. Murdoch will not go with the flapping of the white coats brigade, and in the end Cameron's luck will hold.

Thank-you Jockanese: Spit-back-at-you. :/
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

On financial regulation, it is far more important that we have a level playing field than the ability to set our own rules for everything. London-based firms will continue to dominate in a full single market; nowhere else has the capabilities.

I really think Leave should ditch the whole 'Europe is a conspiracy against the City' meme. The EU is not a diabolical conspiracy against England; it is a project for political and economic integration beyond what the UK considers desirable. It is our politicians who are at fault for not spelling that out when we joined, and only later with great reluctance.

Not sure how you get that from the text. We do not have a level playing field. We have a situation where the Eurozone countries will be able to decide the rules in their favour and if we object then they will let us say so and then do it anyway.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I have a lot of thinking to do.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

REMAIN will win, but the activists and members will have their revenge. I thought it would be messy after REMAIN won, now I think it will be bloody. Real sense of anger and betrayal.
    I REALLY REALLY hope there is a purge. If there is not the only choice for Eurosceptics is now UKIP. The Tories have shown time and time again they cannot be trusted when it comes to the EU. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I appear to be getting my tory party back...

For now. But wait until July.
    As with Spurs currently, I am enjoying the moments of sunshine whilst they last....
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Vote Leave briefing on the ‘renegotiation’ and why the deal will not take control https://t.co/ZIy7Vsex6N
  • Options
    Here comes Dave.
  • Options

Sell out.
    In hindsight Tory eurosceptism was about opposition to ever closer union and joining the Euro.
    No, it was about appearing to be opposed to an unpopular foreign thing.
  • Options
    Sky news: Cabinet has agreed to recommend Remain vote.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Sell out.
    Then why is one of their hate figures the man who secured all of that for the UK, John Major?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2016

Sell out.
    No, it was about appearing to be opposed to an unpopular foreign thing.
    The Germans. Don't forget the Germans.

It's not pure coincidence that we're only having a meaningful referendum after *that* generation has become psephologically irrelevant.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The notion that all labour s in principle replaceable is an absurd starting position.

If all labour was replaceable then so would an entrepreneur's labour - there is nothing unique about it.
  • Options
    Cameron going STRAIGHT IN on Project Fear with economic and physical security.

Fux sake.

Infuriating.
  • Options

Sell out.
    Then why is one of their hate figures the man who secured all of that for the UK, John Major?
    John Major never ruled out joining the Euro, that's why.
  • Options

Sell out.
    He didn't.
  • Options

Fux sake.

Infuriating.

Are you surprised, he used it during the Indyref and the general election, it works for him
  • Options
    Full on by David Cameron absolutely endorsing remain
  • Options
    Cameron: "Let me be clear: leaving Europe would threaten our economic and national security."
  • Options

Cameron: "Let me be clear: leaving Europe would threaten our economic and national security."

Not the EU... He is such a devious prick.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

SeanT said:

Depressing day. REMAIN will win easily now. Those of us who are genuinely undecided and who wanted a proper, exhilarating debate, like what they had in Scotland, will not be satisfied.

Boo. Not BOO. But definitely boo.

It's only one day. This was always going to be Cameron's moment to shine.

Let's see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

Yes, it's the way of these things. Will things unravel enough as they unfold? We'll see, but I'm hopeful, although it seems more Tories will be backing remain than I expected.

Though I must say not being a Tory voter makes me feel much more at ease than some appear to be. I'm not really fussed by 'unfair' tactics employed, as all sides to a debate will do everything they can to win, and to me at least the case for Leave (or rather the unpalatable nature of Remain) is such that it should be able to convince people even if the other side are ruthless or misleading (there is no question Leave have had and will continue to have plenty of opportunity to point out such things if they happen). If people go for that, so be it.
  • Options
    Thank feck for that, 23rd of June!
  • Options
    Great clip and quote

Look who’s speaking from No 10, once again, after all these years…

"special status"
    "best of both worlds" https://t.co/ScGXGg6fMf
  • Options
    Referendum date Thursday 23rd June.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Cicero

' In fact the Leave camp are shaping up as a bunch of total losers.'

Why,have the Lib Dems now joined the Leave camp ?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Not sure how you get that from the text. We do not have a level playing field. We have a situation where the Eurozone countries will be able to decide the rules in their favour and if we object then they will let us say so and then do it anyway.
    Give me a practical example of how they could 'set the rules in their favour' (bearing in mind the vast differences between the Eurozone economies) and on what grounds they would justify discrimination against the UK.

What knavish tricks have they prepared?
  • Options

Fux sake.

Infuriating.

Are you surprised, he used it during the Indyref and the general election, it works for him
    I'm furious.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Frank Field

"A successful vote to leave is now the only option open to ensure the fundamental reform of the EU on which the Government should have embarked. "

Precisely.

Cameron and the EU have served up sweet fudge all.

It is naïve to think that the UK establishment has ever wanted fundamental reform of the EU.

• Options
    but
    but
    but

cameron was never actually going to deliver a referendum...

cast iron dave couldn't be trusted...
  • Options
    Cameron staying if Leave wins, judging by his comment that he will do his best to deliver the result whatever it is.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2016

Fux sake.

Infuriating.

I'm furious.
    At Sir Lynton?
  • Options
    Well quite

It’s absolutely outrageous of Cameron to claim “we’re safer in Europe”, a mere 2½ months after #Paris.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fux sake.

Infuriating.

This is the last time it will work for him. He's going. His EU legacy will turn to dust in about three years, and Tories will learn to loathe him.
    Yes. I'm logging off. Not good for my blood pressure.

Too many sell-outs this morning, and I won't forget it.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Lost causes are always more romantic, but it's usually better to be at the table than impotently harping on from the sidelines.

I'm arguing myself into remain...
  • Options
    None of the exiting Tory cabinet ministers have the balls to speak to Sky News on the way out... very sheepish.
  • Options
    if only

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 2m2 minutes ago
    Confirmed Grayling is out
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Leave only hope is that Boris leads them in a big way, they unite and immediately start contesting project fear.
    So basically... Remain are going to win
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

MP_SE said:

Lost causes are always more romantic, but it's usually better to be at the table than impotently harping on from the sidelines.

I'm arguing myself into remain...
    Don't. It's not a lost cause, and this deal is meaningless. Nothing fundamental has changed.

It's time for a new european relationship for the UK.
  • Options

if only

Out of the cabinet? Please let it be.
  • Options
    It's pretty clear lots of Tory MPs were just making eurosceptic noises and wanted a deal that could show enough difference to justify changing their position. When deal came along that was actually just fiddling round the edges, they just thought screw it, I supported the EU as it was anyway.

Conservative members have a right to be angry, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The notion that all labour s in principle replaceable is an absurd starting position.

If all labour was replaceable then so would an entrepreneur's labour - there is nothing unique about it.

Well, if we knew what "value" was life would be so much easier. For one thing, it might help us know whether the State should seek to equalize fortune and misfortune, or not.

I agree, however, with your implication that sooner or later human ingenuity will render humanity obsolete. Why shouldn't we go the way of the diplodocus?

• Options
    SeanT said:

Fux sake.

Infuriating.

This is the last time it will work for him. He's going. His EU legacy will turn to dust in about three years, and Tories will learn to loathe him.
    He has just ensured that his legacy will be to be regarded in the same sordid, dishonest way as Heath. Win or lose he will now go down as one of the worst PMs in history.
  • Options
    If Leave had a front bench of Kate Hoey, Michael Gove, Douglas Carswell, Frank Field, Priti Patel and Boris Johnson, it would be very strong. They should basically use only those politicians on open media, keeping Farage and the various other cranks to energising their own vote but not putting off anyone else.
  • Options

if only

Another Tory that the public have an instant dislike to. Leave need Boris. But he won't will he.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2016

runnymede said:

Are there any published statistics on reasons to stop trading?

The latest small business figures are at http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06152/SN06152.pdf

They show that over time about 10% of business are formed each year and about 10% of businesses cease to trade. However, the government figures don't give the reason for ceasing to trade.

Figures which I have seen of internal analyses by a major bank showed that only a small minority of "cease to trade" were backrupt businesses and a large number just never really took off, so just became dormant and shut down. A significant number were set up for a specific one-off purpose and then closed once achieved. Only a few ever grew to become sizeable companies but many owners did not want more than to be a life style business and averse to growth much beyond a one man band.

Start-ups are mostly not going to succeed long term and grow into significant businesses but this is not the same as saying they are failures.

This discussion has been closed.