Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s local by-election line-up: 3 CON defences and a L

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:
    They'd applaud him if he said he was taking the UK into the Euro.
    Articles calling Dave "the accidental europhile", and saying this vindicates what pro-Europeans have been saying for years, really really aren't going to help him with the internal party politics.
    You won't like this article much more either :p calling Cameron the most pro-European Tory leader since Heath:
    With a resolute flourish the Prime Minister declared that under his new terms he "sure would" have been keen to join the EU if the UK was not currently a member. As if to reiterate the point Cameron promised to make the case with "passion" in the coming months, again with the ritualistic qualification that he still has to negotiate his way through next month’s EU summit.

There is no inevitability about such a level of prime ministerial commitment. In 1975 the then Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, kept the lowest of low profiles during the In/Out referendum he had called. Wilson was virtually nowhere. Cameron will be ubiquitous.

What was so unusual was to hear a Conservative leader make a ringing endorsement for UK’s membership of the EU, or as Cameron will continue to put it, "a reformed EU". In a very different context he will be the first Conservative leader to make this case with "passion" since Edward Heath.
    http://www.totalpolitics.com/opinion/456346/david-cameronand39s-eu-gear-change-sets-him-far-apart-from-his-tory-predecessors.thtml
    The Tory Party is the true Pro EU party.

Heath took us in, Thatcher signed the Single European Act, and Dave might be the one that keeps us in for a generation.
    Stupid post.
    Factual though.

I'm in a mood tonight, so you're all going to feel my acidic tongue tonight.

Came home to a letter saying I'm at real risk of losing my sight.

Sorry to hear that. Take care.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:
    Articles calling Dave "the accidental europhile", and saying this vindicates what pro-Europeans have been saying for years, really really aren't going to help him with the internal party politics.
    You won't like this article much more either :p calling Cameron the most pro-European Tory leader since Heath:
    With a resolute flourish the Prime Minister declared that under his new terms he "sure would" have been keen to join the EU if the UK was not currently a member. As if to reiterate the point Cameron promised to make the case with "passion" in the coming months, again with the ritualistic qualification that he still has to negotiate his way through next month’s EU summit.

There is no inevitability about such a level of prime ministerial commitment. In 1975 the then Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, kept the lowest of low profiles during the In/Out referendum he had called. Wilson was virtually nowhere. Cameron will be ubiquitous.

What was so unusual was to hear a Conservative leader make a ringing endorsement for UK’s membership of the EU, or as Cameron will continue to put it, "a reformed EU". In a very different context he will be the first Conservative leader to make this case with "passion" since Edward Heath.
    http://www.totalpolitics.com/opinion/456346/david-cameronand39s-eu-gear-change-sets-him-far-apart-from-his-tory-predecessors.thtml

Heath took us in, Thatcher signed the Single European Act, and Dave might be the one that keeps us in for a generation.
    Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Sorry to hear that. Take care.

Seconded
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

That is horrible, you have my utmost sympathy.

I had a torn retina last summer which was sorted before it detached completely, but I have days when I can hardly see through the floaters. Sincerely hope it is not as bad as it seems for you.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Just so you know, it's an old wives tale that it causes blindness
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    O/T: I have just been watching World War Three on iplayer. No, not the real thing but a drama/documentary about a hypothetical. The thesis is that Russia is interfering in the Baltic states along the lines of Georgia, Crimea and Ukraine. Various real people ( Cristopher Mayer, Lord West, Lord Arbuthnot, etc. play roles as members of the committee which makes the decisions aboiut British response. To cut to the chase - Russia launches its ICBMs and Britain decides to do nothing - because deterrence has failed. Says everything really.
  • Options

The main campaign group seeking to take Britain out of the EU is in danger of losing the referendum unless “damaging and unnecessary” bickering is stopped, according to a leaked internal email.

In a sign of the bitter infighting in the Vote Leave group, one of its main supporters has accused campaign director Dominic Cummings of undermining the organisation by generating “ill feeling” among workers.

John Mills, the multi-millionaire Labour donor who is the group’s deputy chairman, said that the feuding has prompted the MP Kate Hoey to stand down as co-chair of the Labour Leave group. Hoey, who is now supporting the separate Grassroots Out (GO), has agreed not to say anything publicly about the split.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/04/vote-leave-deputy-chairman-condemns-damaging-bickering-mills-cummings-referendum?CMP=share_btn_tw

Dominic Cummings does seem to be a bit of a problem.

I can't believe the level of childish infighting and petulance on the crucial vote for the whole nation's future; one they've been waiting for decades.
    Is Cummings a plant?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

We were all thinking it ;)

(felt bad writing that, sorry TSE)
  • Options

David Cameron's Brexit comments infuriate Tory activists who now threaten to abandon support for candidates

Furious local Conservatives are threatening to turn their backs on Tory candidates in May's local elections after the Prime Minister told MPs to ignore the views of eurosceptic associations ahead of the EU referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12141419/David-Camerons-Brexit-comments-infuriate-Tory-activists-who-now-threaten-to-abandon-support-for-candidates.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The leadership demands and expects absolute loyalty from Tory party members.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Factual though.

Very sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: EU referendum poll:
    Remain: 36% (-2)
    Leave: 45% (+3)
    (via YouGov / 03 - 04 Feb)

Leave 56%, Remain 44% if you exclude Don't Knows.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Factual though.

Hell, that's rough. Get the best medical advice you can afford.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Diabetes and MS isn't good for the eyes.
  • Options
    slade said:

O/T: I have just been watching World War Three on iplayer. No, not the real thing but a drama/documentary about a hypothetical. The thesis is that Russia is interfering in the Baltic states along the lines of Georgia, Crimea and Ukraine. Various real people ( Cristopher Mayer, Lord West, Lord Arbuthnot, etc. play roles as members of the committee which makes the decisions aboiut British response. To cut to the chase - Russia launches its ICBMs and Britain decides to do nothing - because deterrence has failed. Says everything really.

Who do they launch their ICBMs at? If it is at us, surely the sub commanders rely on the PMs letter, not the decision of any committee.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Blimey. You'd have thought a phone call would be more appropriate in the circumstances. (You do, of course, have my sincere sympathies).
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Hopefully everything works out okay for you.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    runnymede said:

Actually I think TSE is at least half right. Cameron's current con is certainly on a par with Heath's sell-out and Major's betrayal over Maastricht. Most of the worst surrenders over Europe have occurred under 'Conservative' governments.

I had thought the party had learned its lesson, but it seems the leadership and I'm afraid most of the MPs just can't be trusted.

I'm a remainer and didn't take the alleged 'renegotiation' seriously at all, but I'm bitterly disappointed with the way it has been handled.

The EU became a toxic issue in British politics because of the sense of conspiracy and deceit towards our own governing class. The referendum ought to have been an opportunity to put the issue to bed by asking the people to make a genuine choice about which future for the country they would like to chose.

Instead Cameron seems to have guaranteed that if the vote is to remain, it will only fuel the bitterness even more and we'll never be fully reconciled to our position within the EU.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Damn it. Sorry man.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:
    It's a curious argument. That we got meagre crap from our EU partners, proving its right to stay.

On that note, is there anyone outside of the Tory leadership and the Remain campaign what thinks this is a substantial deal?? Even the most ardent Europhiles admit its only small stuff.
    You cannot discount that there was a majority for Remain even on existing terms.

All subject to change of course, but the Leavers do have that wide eyed look of Tea Partiests
    You want to stay in so it's easier for you to fill in a form at work, I think you should look at yourself rather than deride people who have the long term future of the country at heart.
    I have many reasons to be wanting to Remain. Leavers do not have a monopoly of patriotism, and I do have the long term future of our country at heart.

Give me your top five reasons for wanting to stay in.
    Access to a single market

Social protections of workers

Spreading of democracy and good governance to the other countries of Europe

A genuine feeling of solidarity and kinship with other countries with a common heritage

The ability to live and work in 28 countries without himdrance.
    Only 3 out of those 5 may be true though and out of those 3 two of them are debatable.
    Democracy? In the EU?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

I'm very sorry to hear that TSE. You have my full sympathies.

I really hope that's just a worst case being outlined for their own liability reasons and that you in fact make a full recovery.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Sorry to hear that - wish you all the best.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

That's a calamitous poll for REMAIN. The "deal" has been roundly rejected.

Cameron now has a real fight on his hands. Heh. No more than he deserves, thinking we'd swallow that bucket of crap.

You called the situation right again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    edited February 2016
    Scott_P said:

So, as I was saying earlier, Leave already on the 45% Yes got in indyref before the campaign proper! Remain will still win in my view but by a narrow margin
  • Options
    So I'm blaming my eyes for this shocking/amusing typo in Sunday's thread.

It should have Leave shouldn't aim to channel the spirit of Peter Griffiths in their campaign.

Except it read

It should have Leave shouldn't aim to channel the spirit of Peter Griffin in their campaign.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    slade said:

The Russian government commented on it that it was a reality show for paranoid military leaders who are trying to brainwash the British public in order to justify increasing their budgets. They have a point.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    BoJo is calling for two fecking great road tunnels under London. "Tens of billions £££". So the rest of the country is expected to sub London yet again.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

I'm sorry, I made a flippant joke. I apologise. I really hope it all works out OK for you.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    RobD said:

slade said:

Who do they launch their ICBMs at? If it is at us, surely the sub commanders rely on the PMs letter, not the decision of any committee.
    There was escalation. Nato responded to a Russian 'aid' convoy to ethnic Russians in Latvia by sending in a task force to take them out; the Russians responded by launching a tactical nuclear weapon at HMS Ocean in the Baltic, and then the USA retaliate with a tactical attack against a Russian target. You see the picture?
  • Options
    The Tory MP for Bexhill and Battle has been a very naughty boy

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/695376162332119041
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Cameron now has a real fight on his hands. Heh. No more than he deserves, thinking we'd swallow that bucket of crap.

Was it Sean Fear the other day who said Cameron may have been better off just holding a referendum without any negotiations? It may have just drawn attention to the crap deal we have by being a member & our inability to do anything about it

Just one poll mind you
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    edited February 2016

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Sorry to hear that, hope you can get any treatment you require!
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Was it Sean Fear the other day who said Cameron may have been better off just holding a referendum without any negotiations? It may have just drawn attention to the crap deal we have by being a member & our inability to do anything about it

Just one poll mind you
    Cameron ought to delay the referendum until the end of 2017 because by then the EU as we know it may not exist and there won't have to be one.
  • Options

runnymede said:

Actually I think TSE is at least half right. Cameron's current con is certainly on a par with Heath's sell-out and Major's betrayal over Maastricht. Most of the worst surrenders over Europe have occurred under 'Conservative' governments.

I had thought the party had learned its lesson, but it seems the leadership and I'm afraid most of the MPs just can't be trusted.

I'm a remainer and didn't take the alleged 'renegotiation' seriously at all, but I'm bitterly disappointed with the way it has been handled.

The EU became a toxic issue in British politics because of the sense of conspiracy and deceit towards our own governing class. The referendum ought to have been an opportunity to put the issue to bed by asking the people to make a genuine choice about which future for the country they would like to chose.

Instead Cameron seems to have guaranteed that if the vote is to remain, it will only fuel the bitterness even more and we'll never be fully reconciled to our position within the EU.
    Yes, the Tory party genuinely had (and still has) no appetite to tear itself apart over this, but Cameron is almost doing everything he can to ensure it will.
  • Options
    Shocking story on the front page of the Indy. £110 for a one word email, is that all? I know someone who billed two hours worth of time for a one word email.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/695360901117906945
  • Options

David Cameron's Brexit comments infuriate Tory activists who now threaten to abandon support for candidates

Furious local Conservatives are threatening to turn their backs on Tory candidates in May's local elections after the Prime Minister told MPs to ignore the views of eurosceptic associations ahead of the EU referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12141419/David-Camerons-Brexit-comments-infuriate-Tory-activists-who-now-threaten-to-abandon-support-for-candidates.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The leadership demands and expects absolute loyalty from Tory party members.
    What on Earth is Cameron doing? Everyone could tell from a mile off the danger of a Euro split. But hes gone out of way to piss on eurosceptics in his party. Dodgy question, purdah nonsense, exagerrating what he brought back, gagging ministers, insulting associations.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Time for Cameron to go back and get a much better deal.

If he wants to win.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Just one poll mind you
    It could be this "renegotiation" has drawn attention to the detail......
  • Options

So I'm blaming my eyes for this shocking/amusing typo in Sunday's thread.

It should have Leave shouldn't aim to channel the spirit of Peter Griffiths in their campaign.

Except it read

It should have Leave shouldn't aim to channel the spirit of Peter Griffin in their campaign.

They are though.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

I'm sorry, I made a flippant joke. I apologise. I really hope it all works out OK for you.

Don't apologise, I like humour.
  • Options
    Heh:

@JananGanesh: Absolute state of my timeline. If kids aren't allowed strong coffee, politicos shouldn't be allowed opinion polls.
  • Options
    A friend of mine at school used to boast about how his lawyer father would charge £30 for a five minute phone call. I don't know whether things have changed since then.
  • Options
    Bollocks.
  • Options

If he wants to win.

Cam wants out of No. 10 asap, and screwing up the referendum is the best way to achieve it.
  • Options

The Tory MP for Bexhill and Battle has been a very naughty boy

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/695376162332119041

Is he a Remainer? If so disgusting behavior and he should be sacked.

Is he a sceptic? If so good on him!

What did I say about tribal politics!
  • Options
    Maurice White has died.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Labour signed Lisbon. Big shame only way you can vote to oppose EU is by picking a hard right or hard left group.

To clarify that very good point more correctly

Labour signed Lisbon by having their leader Brown sneak through the back door when he thought no one was looking and the press had finally gone.

Unfortunately there were a handful still there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucvkEUPMUqE
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Great news,he deserves it.
  • Options
    Darn. Zero buttons.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Stupid post.
    Factual though.

Sorry to hear that old chap. Best of luck with it all.
  • Options
    Oakeshott low cut top but no buttons!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Ahem. I've been predicting a LEAVE vote, and I will post a previous quote of mine as proof immediately after this one.

• Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Measham South Lab 257 Con 202 UKIP 141
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Scott_P said:

More great news.
  • Options
    THE NEW NORMAL PART 2: BREXIT
    In the Noughties, the time of Desperate Housewives and Nokia phones, Eurosceptic arguments revolved around alternatives that were fictional (nonexistent Commonwealth free trade areas), ludicrous (we can trade with Russia and China, countries that are neither close nor lawabiding) or touchingly childlike (Hannan's insistence that we should preferably trade with our friends, which is a proposition nobody over 8 should hold). They could be easily dismissed.

But since 2009/10 (when the size of Greece became apparent) and since 2011 (when immigration began to appear in the list of concerns), the argument has changed. It is easy to dismiss claims that the Euro will collapse (it stays in existence until the most powerful nations decide to leave) but claims that it is well run are difficult to hold with a straight face. Moving from comedy to tragedy, the human wave of immigrants is large and solutions are ramshackle, ad-hoc and ineffective. Blaming the EU for migration is a bit like blaming the dinosaurs for the meteorite, but this does not change the fact that the citizenry is concerned about the number and characteristics of the migrants and will vote Leave accordingly. The print media have latched onto this and are pushing it with all the class and subtlety for which Kelvin McKenzie and Rod Liddle are justly famed: it's not quite "if you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Labour" but let's be honest, it's not far off.

Unless Remain develop a countermeasure to Leave's charge that EU membership implies mass migration into the UK - and since the charge has an element of truth, this will be difficult - then Leave will win, and win hard.

See http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/917374/#Comment_917374
  • Options
    No buttons! Void bets...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

BoJo is calling for two fecking great road tunnels under London. "Tens of billions £££". So the rest of the country is expected to sub London yet again.

Well country is awash with all those oil revenues from Scotland apparently so why not?

Ah? Oil revenues...... Mmmm.....Ok I see your point.
  • Options
    @britainelects: Labour HOLD Measham South (NW Leicestershire).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A friend of mine at school used to boast about how his lawyer father would charge £30 for a five minute phone call. I don't know whether things have changed since then.

Happens all the time.

In practice you have to account for you time in 6 minute blocks, you call someone for a minute, they get billed for the full 6 minute block.

So if you're going to speak to a solicitor speak to them for over 5 mins to get your money's worth
  • Options
    Dimbleby jumping down Rudd's throat a bit fast there...
  • Options

No buttons! Void bets...

Longer hair suits... Tidy!
  • Options
    Rudd spouting shite.
  • Options

Subsidies require money flowing from the rest of the country to London. Since the rest of the country gets money from London, the subsidies flow the other way.
  • Options
    I see UKIP have got the sub in.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Measham South Lab 257 Con 202 UKIP 141

Turnout off the charts...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

To be fair, he was rubbish in Ant Man
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Just one poll mind you
    I'm rapidly coming to the view that Cameron is in fact a crap politician who has merely been very lucky for several years. Even if I was a die-hard Europhile I'd feel angry at Cameron talking up there worthless renegotiation he has engaged in. He's going to have to pull the biggest rabbit ever from his hat to satisfy waverers now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

If he wants to win.

The only way he does that is if he says he will back Leave.

And the other European leaders would just laugh at him - and tell him to fuck off.

I have been saying for months that his negotiation strategy was shite. It only worked if they thought from the start that he would recommend Leave if they didn't give the UK a material package. What he did was just shake-your-head-in wonder awful.

And then Osborne pops up looking like a pillock, saying how this deal will have reshaped Europe. The only thing that has been reshaped is his sphincter, with Europe's fist shoved up it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Rudd spouting shite.

Must run in the family.
  • Options
    glw said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Just one poll mind you
    I'm rapidly coming to the view that Cameron is in fact a crap politician who has merely been very lucky for several years. Even if I was a die-hard Europhile I'd feel angry at Cameron talking up there worthless renegotiation he has engaged in. He's going to have to pull the biggest rabbit ever from his hat to satisfy waverers now.
    Surely if you were a rabid Europhile, you'd be gutted that he hadn't signed the UK up to the Euro
  • Options

Factual though. I'm in a mood tonight, so you're all going to feel my acidic tongue tonight. Came home to a letter saying I'm at real risk of losing my sight....Diabetes and MS isn't good for the eyes.

Damn, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that.

• Options
    Dunno about nuttals Barnet
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: May 2015: "No one's ever going to trust the opinion polls again".
    February 2016: "Look at that Yougov opinion poll!!!!!!!!".
  • Options
    "Put personalities aside" from Nuttall trololol
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Happens all the time.

In practice you have to account for you time in 6 minute blocks, you call someone for a minute, they get billed for the full 6 minute block.

So if you're going to speak to a solicitor speak to them for over 5 mins to get your money's worth
    I'm sorry to hear the news about your eyesight.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Good grief the old "leave the EU and we'll be at war" nonsense.
  • Options

Good grief the old "leave the RU and we'll be at war" nonsense.

Russian Union?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

sssh it's OK if EU supporters use wartime analogies - only EU opponents who do so are engaging in rants against the 21st century
  • Options
    runnymede said:

sssh it's OK if EU supporters use wartime analogies - only EU opponents who do so are engaging in rants against the 21st century

?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    This whole we can't trade with Europe bollocks is absolubte bullshit. My employer is an exporter and our biggest project right now is based in Turkey, there really is no problem dealing with extra-EU countries.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    edited February 2016

Shocking story on the front page of the Indy. £110 for a one word email, is that all? I know someone who billed two hours worth of time for a one word email.

Martyn Day charged £900 an hour in the Trafigura case, and sought a 100% uplift as a success fee. The Court of Appeal told him he was taking the piss.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Just one poll mind you
    Cameron ought to delay the referendum until the end of 2017 because by then the EU as we know it may not exist and there won't have to be one.
    Good point. Can he possibly call a vote when some polls have him 10 points down? Suicidally risky.

He has the option of time. He will surely delay unless he gets much better polling, and soon.
    He can go for the autumn, citing the Electoral Commission's advice. That's not really delay so much as the absence of rushing. I don't see how he can let it go until next year though. It would become a joke in itself.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Just one poll mind you
    Good point. Can he possibly call a vote when some polls have him 10 points down? Suicidally risky.

He has the option of time. He will surely delay unless he gets much better polling, and soon.
    Many more polls have him ten points up.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411
    edited February 2016
    World at War on "Yesterday" (Freeview 19) right now - Battle of Stalingrad
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Sean_F said:

Martyn Day charged £900 an hour in the Trafigura case, and sought a 100% uplift as a success fee. The Court of Appeal told him he was taking the piss.
    If we leave the EU, the lawyers will be richer than Trump's ego masseur.
  • Options
    Oakeshott perhaps should lead leave. Bit easier on the eye than ol' Nige.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    runnymede said:

I didn't realise we were at war with Norway and Switzerland.
  • Options
    I've heard an unconfirmed rumour that the Labour MP for Sheffield Brightside has died
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:
    It's a curious argument. That we got meagre crap from our EU partners, proving its right to stay.

On that note, is there anyone outside of the Tory leadership and the Remain campaign what thinks this is a substantial deal?? Even the most ardent Europhiles admit its only small stuff.
    You cannot discount that there was a majority for Remain even on existing terms.

All subject to change of course, but the Leavers do have that wide eyed look of Tea Partiests
    You want to stay in so it's easier for you to fill in a form at work, I think you should look at yourself rather than deride people who have the long term future of the country at heart.
    I have many reasons to be wanting to Remain. Leavers do not have a monopoly of patriotism, and I do have the long term future of our country at heart.

Give me your top five reasons for wanting to stay in.
    Access to a single market

Social protections of workers

Spreading of democracy and good governance to the other countries of Europe

A genuine feeling of solidarity and kinship with other countries with a common heritage

The ability to live and work in 28 countries without himdrance.
    Single Market - OK
    Social protection for workers - why can't we do that ourselves?
    Spreading of democracy and good governance - how long has Greece been in the EU?
    A feeling of solidarity and kinship - we are strong partners in NATO, willing to fight for them.
    Ability to live and work in 28 countries - mostly it seems most of 27 want to come here.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

This whole we can't trade with Europe bollocks is absolubte bullshit. My employer is an exporter and our biggest project right now is based in Turkey, there really is no problem dealing with extra-EU countries.

Well, the UKIP Calypso says "We can trade with the world again / When Nigel is at Number 10" so presumably it's impossible right now.
  • Options
    slade said:

RobD said:

slade said:

There was escalation. Nato responded to a Russian 'aid' convoy to ethnic Russians in Latvia by sending in a task force to take them out; the Russians responded by launching a tactical nuclear weapon at HMS Ocean in the Baltic, and then the USA retaliate with a tactical attack against a Russian target. You see the picture?
    Sounds like a proportional response.
  • Options
    On plus side for DC, that poll should make further negotiation easier!!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Dimbleby wasn't in Ant-Man.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I've heard an unconfirmed rumour that the Labour MP for Sheffield Brightside has died

Elections expert David Boothroyd on VoteUK forum has posted the same thing.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Spreading of democracy and good governance - how long has Greece been in the EU?

Only since it was a democracy.

If your point is that it's not well governed - yeah, you got me.
  • Options

Confirmed: https://m.facebook.com/Harry4brighthills/posts/1699163240299772
  • Options

Was diagnosed with cancer last September.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SamCoatesTimes: Harry Harpham, 2015 intake Labour MP, has died https://t.co/Ga7bLInSoX
This discussion has been closed.