Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s big pre-Iowa gamble: pulling out of Thursday’s TV d

Comments

• Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Back on safe territory for Yemen.

WHO THE F*CK CARES (or knows) ABOUT YEMEN??

I care about Yemen! It's 500 miles from here and they're all still lobbing bombs around!
    500 miles? Eh? Yemen not Bremen.

Is this another Shakespeare reference I'm not getting?
    Sandpit works in Dubai as I recall, so about 500 miles from Yemen indeed.
    Yep! A few months back the UAE lost 40 soldiers in an attack in Yemen, it was the first time this 44 year old country had ever lost men in numbers while abroad. There were three days of national mourning and the radio stations all played classical music for two weeks.

While most of Europe is concentrating on Syria, most of the Gulf are concentrating on Yemen as the seat of terrorism.

There is a trial ongoing in Abu Dhabi now of 41 Emiratis charged with sedition, for which they face the death penalty. They are accused of plotting to bomb AD and Dubai, to try and overthrow the government in favour of an Islamic caphiliate.
    http://www.thenational.ae/uae/courts/terrorists-planned-to-bomb-mall
    The rest of the world, asides from the loons, are looking at the Gulf and their proxies in Syria and Iraq as the seat of terrorism. The Gulfies are getting badly mauled in their costly and brutal invasion of Yemen, although with the oil price so low it is acting as a nice break on their financing of terrorism elsewhere. Unfortunately though AQAP and IS have expanded greatly in Yemen since the invasion.

An odd world view you have when posting from Dubai.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    HA!

@bbclaurak: Labour now under pressure to publish Corbyn's tax return.....
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: Labour sources said after PMQs that publishing Corbyn’s tax return was something they will consider.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Scott_P said:

HA!

It's like Ken vs Boris all over again. These guys never learn.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,451
    Scott_P said:

I thought that was quite a smart move for the sixth question: avoided Cameron getting in a cheap slam-dunk against which Corbyn couldn't reply.

Except Cameron had already had those on the previous questions
    His staffers didn't know that would be the case beforehand though!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:
    The big problem with recent developments in the US is that these companies just hold the cash and do nothing with it. For years Apple didn't pay a dividend and Steve Jobs was said to be incredibly resistant to the idea. It was only when he died and Cook took over the job that Apple has begun paying a dividend. They have mountains of cash higher than the Rockies. Microsoft have taken a different view, they spend their overseas money on buying useless companies like Skype and Nokia's mobile division then write down the goodwill. Google, who knows what they really do, but they don't give it to shareholders or invest it in any meaningful way.

I'm an economic liberal and believe that it is better for companies to spend cash rather than have it taxed and then wasted by the government, corporate spending and investment has a very high multiplier effect. The issue is that they just aren't spending the money. I've brought it up in the past and I think it is the only way to get companies to spend, but we need to start looking at balance sheet taxes which can be offset by capex.
    I don't think that the problem is just that they do little with the cash, it is also a problem when they do. What has happened in the last few years is that EU companies have been bought up by American companies, essentially as a form of tax dodge using untaxed income.

I am enough of an economic liberal to want a level playing field and this is very, very far from that. If UK based companies are paying 20% tax on their profits and multinational competitors are paying 3% that is a serious competitive advantage that needs to be stopped.

The mechanics are complicated and international action is going to be key but this is a major distortion in our markets.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,201
    LondonBob said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

I care about Yemen! It's 500 miles from here and they're all still lobbing bombs around!

Yep! A few months back the UAE lost 40 soldiers in an attack in Yemen, it was the first time this 44 year old country had ever lost men in numbers while abroad. There were three days of national mourning and the radio stations all played classical music for two weeks.

While most of Europe is concentrating on Syria, most of the Gulf are concentrating on Yemen as the seat of terrorism.

There is a trial ongoing in Abu Dhabi now of 41 Emiratis charged with sedition, for which they face the death penalty. They are accused of plotting to bomb AD and Dubai, to try and overthrow the government in favour of an Islamic caphiliate.
    The rest of the world, asides from the loons, are looking at the Gulf and their proxies in Syria and Iraq as the seat of terrorism. The Gulfies are getting badly mauled in their costly and brutal invasion of Yemen, although with the oil price so low it is acting as a nice break on their financing of terrorism elsewhere. Unfortunately though AQAP and IS have expanded greatly in Yemen since the invasion.

Not as odd as yours from Moscow ...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    Wouldn't Corbyn just be on PAYE as LOTO ^^; ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

To be fair, Corbyn is many things, most of them ludicrous or asinine but I very much doubt he's a troughing tax-dodger.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    tlg86 said:

I see the Guardian is getting its knickers in a twist over Dave saying the following about Jezza and McDonnell:

'They met with a bunch of migrants in Calais'

As ever, Dave's hung the bait out and the stupid lefties can't resist.

I've resolved to stop posting so much because I'm in danger of becoming even more obsessive and strange than I already am, but this one confuses me - I got the outrage over the swarm comments, though I felt then and feel now that the term is not as loaded as people complained, and that it was one of those instances of people getting overly angry about specific words as a substitute for focusing on something actually important (the sort of faux campaign against something where you try to achieve a little victory over something unimportant - getting someone to stop saying something - and act like that is the same as actually stopping some terrible action), but what is the problem with 'a bunch of migrants'. It's a bit informally worded for a politician, it's casual terminology, but unlike 'swarm' I don't even see how one could pretend upset about it.

That's not left or right behaviour, that's just stupid unless there's something significant I'm missing here.

I bet they went nuts when Obama said 'We tortured some folks'
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:
    The big problem with recent developments in the US is that these companies just hold the cash and do nothing with it. For years Apple didn't pay a dividend and Steve Jobs was said to be incredibly resistant to the idea. It was only when he died and Cook took over the job that Apple has begun paying a dividend. They have mountains of cash higher than the Rockies. Microsoft have taken a different view, they spend their overseas money on buying useless companies like Skype and Nokia's mobile division then write down the goodwill. Google, who knows what they really do, but they don't give it to shareholders or invest it in any meaningful way.

I'm an economic liberal and believe that it is better for companies to spend cash rather than have it taxed and then wasted by the government, corporate spending and investment has a very high multiplier effect. The issue is that they just aren't spending the money. I've brought it up in the past and I think it is the only way to get companies to spend, but we need to start looking at balance sheet taxes which can be offset by capex.
    I don't think that the problem is just that they do little with the cash, it is also a problem when they do. What has happened in the last few years is that EU companies have been bought up by American companies, essentially as a form of tax dodge using untaxed income.

I am enough of an economic liberal to want a level playing field and this is very, very far from that. If UK based companies are paying 20% tax on their profits and multinational competitors are paying 3% that is a serious competitive advantage that needs to be stopped.

The mechanics are complicated and international action is going to be key but this is a major distortion in our markets.
    I completely agree with you, look at my earlier post. I think the government needs to seriously look the idea of pro-rating the new 25% tax rate using the global operating margin applied to UK revenue. It is the only sure-fire way of making these bastards pay their fair share.

For the balance sheet tax I was talking in a more general sense that companies have begun to hold excessive amounts of cash and instead of returning it to shareholders or spending it on investment they just keep it in the bank and earn pitifully small amounts of interest.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I thought that was quite a smart move for the sixth question: avoided Cameron getting in a cheap slam-dunk against which Corbyn couldn't reply.
    except that it also sounded like typical Uni politics about a faraway place which I don't think will have appealed to the voters he needs to win over.
    That's not his objective. As long as he keeps his base on side the PLP can't move against him.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm prepared to be proved wrong but I very much doubt whether semiotics is going to assist either Sadiq Khan's or Jeremy Corbyn's cause.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

HA!

To be fair, Corbyn is many things, most of them ludicrous or asinine but I very much doubt he's a troughing tax-dodger.
    You never know Sean. Look at Red Ken.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

It's even worse when these mega-corps, like Google or Facebook, pose as being somehow morally superior to normal capitalists. I mean, this is actually part of their branding: their "niceness"

Puke.
    Wasn't Google's motto something like 'Don't be evil' or some such. What horsesh*t.
  • Options

I'm prepared to be proved wrong but I very much doubt whether semiotics is going to assist either Sadiq Khan's or Jeremy Corbyn's cause.

Quite. Labour's best policy in both cases would have been to have shut up and hope that no-one noticed the lines.

Cameron's line in particular was devastating. A sensible opposition would change the subject ASAP, not draw attention to it.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Puke. ''

We're playing whack a mole here. Best way to get these companies to pay tax is to make their workers more expensive, so we get more in PAYE tax revenues.

Other companies are missing a trick. Every independent coffee shop should have 'great coffee AND we pay our taxes' emblazoned on their store fronts.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019
    LondonBob said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

As opposed to the world view you have when posting from Moscow?
  • Options
    edited January 2016

In my local we talk of little else. Etymology sometimes gets a look in.
  • Options
    So what's the Twatter consensus, can I get my girlfriend a bunch of flowers or will I be branded as a xenophobe?
  • Options
    Re Yemen. It is bloody important and Corbyn is - as usual - on the wrong side for the wrong reasons. Daesh are established in Iraq and Syria. If they can become well-established in Yemen as well then that puts a lot of pressure on Saudi, particularly with a low oil price that's screwing the government bribes/benefits to the population. If there were to be serious unrest in Saudi too, perhaps coming after serious internal unrest or a contested succession (Salman is 80) or whatever, then the scope for Daesh north and south of that to intervene has the makings of a first rate global crisis.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So what's the Twatter consensus, can I get my girlfriend a bunch of flowers or will I be branded as a xenophobe?

Just be careful not to say 'why don't we get a bunch of friends together?'
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I'd suggest that moron is the collective noun for those boarding the Fauxrage bus
    DavidL said:

• Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Disgrace to use "a bunch of..." when talking about national identity? "Callous and dehumanising"? @OwenJones84 https://t.co/Tj67z29Ko2
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    If anyone's interested in US companies tax avoidance I wrote quite a good piece here: http://www.thstailwinds.com/chasing-their-tails/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,252
    chestnut said:

DavidL said:

Not watching, but sounds like JJ had another barn stormer at PMQ's.

He has the same problem Ed has, he can't think on his feet, when Dave gives an answer he wasn't accepting (and then moving onto other topics)
    The last question about the Yemen was bizarre. He asked about that last week as well.
    More concerned about the middle east than middle England.

He conforms, week after week, to the negative stereotype of Labour - welfare obsessed, London centric, more interested in other countries' citizens than ours and now he's doing the tax complaints when Labour's record was abysmal.
    Haven't you heard? Being more concerned with your own country's citizens is 'nativism' and is to be sneered at at every opportunity.
  • Options

I wonder if Dave has looked across the pond and seen there's votes in using bluff, basic language and not apologising for it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    Sandpit said:

Muslims are 'not like us' and we should just accept they will never integrate, says former racial equalities chief Trevor Phillips
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418620/Muslims-not-like-just-accept-never-integrate-says-former-racial-equalities-chief-Trevor-Phillips.html
    Bloody hell! He is now saying the previously unsayable, and with knobs on. Has anyone else gone from poacher to gamekeeper in the PC world like Mr. Phillips?

Trevor Phillips went far enough with PC madness to repent and see the error of his ways. He is paraphrasing Prophet Enoch from 1976

"it is insufferable arrogance to suppose that an Iranian or a Bantu wants to be, or to be thought of, as an Englishman under the skin. On the contrary, with few exceptions, he has no idea or intention of any such thing; and quite right too."
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2016
    If ‘swarm’ was supposed to suggest locusts eating all before them, then what’s wrong with using ‘bunch’ ? - Does it imply bananas doing er what exactly?

It’s so hard to keep up with PC bollox these days…
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,521

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

except that it also sounded like typical Uni politics about a faraway place which I don't think will have appealed to the voters he needs to win over.
    That's not his objective. As long as he keeps his base on side the PLP can't move against him.
    Yes of course that's true. I allowed the whole rigmarole of PMQs to fool me temporarily into thinking he was a normal LotO. Whereas, as you say, what he actually wants is to consolidate his position within the party.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Scott_P said:

@isaby: A devastating critique of Labour's #BeckettReport by the ever thoughtful @RichardAngell for @TheStaggers https://t.co/tpvdZOr8Oi

That is a very powerful critique. Two phrases stood out:

"It was like we wanted middle England to apologise to us for voting the Tory in the first place"

and

"we cannot award economic credibility to ourselves"
  • Options
    The justifications for not working on Jeremy Kyle are more convincing than this.

I can't be bothered to read any more rubbish.
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: Disgrace to use "a bunch of..." when talking about national identity? "Callous and dehumanising"? @OwenJones84 https://t.co/Tj67z29Ko2

• Options

Re Yemen. It is bloody important and Corbyn is - as usual - on the wrong side for the wrong reasons. Daesh are established in Iraq and Syria. If they can become well-established in Yemen as well then that puts a lot of pressure on Saudi, particularly with a low oil price that's screwing the government bribes/benefits to the population. If there were to be serious unrest in Saudi too, perhaps coming after serious internal unrest or a contested succession (Salman is 80) or whatever, then the scope for Daesh north and south of that to intervene has the makings of a first rate global crisis.

That's a misunderstanding of the conflict. Yemen is yet another country in which the Sunni-Shia civil war is being played out. The Houthi rebels are a Shia backed army who want independence for their region from majority Sunni Yemmen. Saudi Arabia are actually fighting on the same side (though not allied) as ISIS against the Houthi rebels. The Saudis are, as always, making a bad situation worse by trying to impose Sunni dominance.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Seriously, this 'bunch of' thing just blows my mind, I feel like I don't understand the Left or Right anymore. Words are important, what we term things are important, but despite dismissing it as 'pretend' upset I can see some people are genuinely disgusted at what was said, and I know right wingers can get as touchy in similar ways (thought not as often, I would guess, if only because such complaints are usually in relation to racial or gender terminology which the Left would happily admit to being more concerned about), and it is so out of proportion even for politics.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Jo Johnson, brother of Boris and Science Minister, came out for Remain in the Times today saying Brexit would be bad for science
  • Options
    If the migrants in Calais are living in "appalling conditions" then where is the Labour party attack on Hollande's french government? These conditions are their responsibility.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I wonder if Dave has looked across the pond and seen there's votes in using bluff, basic language and not apologising for it.

He's being slightly cleverer than that, in that its linked to something beforehand that the public do overwhelmingly support him for and if Labour/SillyTwitterFolk aren't careful, they're going to be seen to be definitely NOT standing up for British people and hard-working taxpayers.

They're already *in* this hole by the way as they keep on making the same fuss when accused of being in that hole. We've seen this over and over again.

I've come to the conclusion that they just can't help themselves. Corbyn, that idiot SWP chap on the Reading message board, all of them. First hint of being able to demonstrate their lefty chops and they wade in.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

Seriously, this 'bunch of' thing just blows my mind, I feel like I don't understand the Left or Right anymore. Words are important, what we term things are important, but despite dismissing it as 'pretend' upset I can see some people are genuinely disgusted at what was said, and I know right wingers can get as touchy in similar ways (thought not as often, I would guess, if only because such complaints are usually in relation to racial or gender terminology which the Left would happily admit to being more concerned about), and it is so out of proportion even for politics.

I agree with you on this one. I watched PMQs live, and it didn't even occur to me that "bunch of migrants" would be interpreted as offensive.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    WOW Bunch is now a demeaning and dehumanising word...who'd a thunk it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jo Johnson, brother of Boris and Science Minister, came out for Remain in the Times today saying Brexit would be bad for science

Jo Johnson is well known to be a long term europhile, just like his dad. It is also part of the Financial Times culture where Jo used to work.
  • Options

I'd suggest that moron is the collective noun for those boarding the Fauxrage bus

DavidL said:

Down my local, it's epistemology ...
  • Options
    edited January 2016

If the migrants in Calais are living in "appalling conditions" then where is the Labour party attack on Hollande's french government? These conditions are their responsibility.

That's what I don't understand. Why are the left intent on making it our problem because they want to come here. It is the French that are not dealing with them by either deporting them or providing basic living conditions.

I want to win the lottery, that doesn't make it Camelot's problem or make them responsible for my failure to do so!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

HYUFD said:

Jo Johnson is well known to be a long term europhile, just like his dad. It is also part of the Financial Times culture where Jo used to work.
    Yes though suggests Boris will back Remain in the end too
  • Options
    ''I've come to the conclusion that they just can't help themselves. Corbyn, that idiot SWP chap on the Reading message board, all of them. First hint of being able to demonstrate their lefty chops and they wade in. ''

If only they could fight for their own constituents as passionately as they fight for refugees!!

The public is sick and tired of their MP acting like the member for Mogadishu West and Damascus central.
  • Options

WOW Bunch is now a demeaning and dehumanising word...who'd a thunk it

'Loads' of people are offended.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,087
    MaxPB said:

That's what I don't understand. Why are the left intent on making it our problem because they want to come here. It is the French that are not dealing with them by either deporting them or providing basic living conditions.

I want to win the lottery, that doesn't make it Camelot's problem or make them responsible for my failure to do so!
    Its why they are migrants and not refugees... A refugee is someone fleeing persecution or war. Once they've left that area and are in a safe place they are no longer refugees but become economic migrants as they move from a safe (but poor place) to an equally safe richer place...
  • Options
    Does Labour realise how bad the optics of this are for them ?

The floods were strong ground for Corbyn I thought, that's "our own". The Calais migrants, nope.

If every day is about Calais then Labour is going to do even worse than everyone thought.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,148
    HYUFD said:

...Jo Johnson, brother of Boris and Science Minister...

"brother of Boris and Science Minister"->"Science Minister and brother of Boris"

(sorry, it activated my pedant gene - Jo is not the brother of the Science Minister)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If anyone's interested in US companies tax avoidance I wrote quite a good piece here: http://www.thstailwinds.com/chasing-their-tails/

That's very comprehensive and shows clearly the issues both now and in the future. One assumes that this was originally a piece written professionally for your clients.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,188

Unlike Corbyn and McDonnell, the French Govt. know all too well that if they are seen to take pity on ten thousand, they will be augmented by another 100,000. So do they cut off their compassion for those 100,000? Because if not, Calais will be faced with 500,000 more. Three quarters of the world look at our median salaries - and see money beyond their dreams at home. And health and welfare and housing that is not so much a safety net as a bouncy castle.

What is worse - 10,000 in Calais in (no doubt by design) "appalling conditions" - or having half a million souls track across the globe, at God alone knows what cost and danger, only to be told when they get here "now fuck off back..."?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

That's very comprehensive and shows clearly the issues both now and in the future. One assumes that this was originally a piece written professionally for your clients.
    Yes: I don't spend 100 hours in Excel just to enlighten my Politicalbetting friends :lol:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    In other news, I see Tim Fallon finally got a question at PMQs today.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I've used "weltanschauung" in conversation. Kills it stone dead. I'm still not sure I'm pronouncing it correctly (veldt-gan-shonn-gen?)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's a misunderstanding of the conflict. Yemen is yet another country in which the Sunni-Shia civil war is being played out. The Houthi rebels are a Shia backed army who want independence for their region from majority Sunni Yemmen. Saudi Arabia are actually fighting on the same side (though not allied) as ISIS against the Houthi rebels. The Saudis are, as always, making a bad situation worse by trying to impose Sunni dominance.
    I wouldn't exaggerate the Sunni-Shia thing. It is more a Saudi Wahhabi against everyone else thing. The Houthis are Shia Zaidi, and they and the Sunni Shafi have traditionally gotten along well together. The Houthis still count on considerable Sunni backing within the country and their rise in Yemen was enabled by military units loyal to Yemen's ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/04/07/forget-what-youre-hearing-the-civil-war-in-yemen-is-not-a-sectarian-conflict/

The Saudis need to be put back in their box, although Dave instead chose to loosen visa restrictions on Gulfies coming to this country, with tragic consequences as anyone familiar with Knightsbridge will know.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/12029546/Saudi-Arabia-destabilising-Arab-world-German-intelligence-warns.html
  • Options

Unlike Corbyn and McDonnell, the French Govt. know all too well that if they are seen to take pity on ten thousand, they will be augmented by another 100,000. So do they cut off their compassion for those 100,000? Because if not, Calais will be faced with 500,000 more. Three quarters of the world look at our median salaries - and see money beyond their dreams at home. And health and welfare and housing that is not so much a safety net as a bouncy castle.

What is worse - 10,000 in Calais in (no doubt by design) "appalling conditions" - or having half a million souls track across the globe, at God alone knows what cost and danger, only to be told when they get here "now fuck off back..."?
    Of course I agree, but my point is that somehow the left in this country want to pin the blame on the government in this country for conditions in France. Sometimes I really do wonder what planet they live on.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

I've used "weltanschauung" in conversation. Kills it stone dead. I'm still not sure I'm pronouncing it correctly (veldt-gan-shonn-gen?)
    It's velt-an-show(rhyme with cow)-ung.
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

I wouldn't exaggerate the Sunni-Shia thing. It is more a Saudi Wahhabi against everyone else thing. The Houthis are Shia Zaidi, and they and the Sunni Shafi have traditionally gotten along well together. The Houthis still count on considerable Sunni backing within the country and their rise in Yemen was enabled by military units loyal to Yemen's ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh.l

This implies that Ali Abdullah Saleh and his supporters were Sunni. There were not - he and his tribal base are also Zaidi.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Aw, bless.... What did we reckon it was, if it is in proportion to their number of MP's, then the LibDems will be getting called about one PMQs in eight? They might get one more outing then before the local elections....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Indeed.

These migrants are not in Syria or North Korea, they are in France.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    MaxPB said:

Google, who knows what they really do, but they don't give it to shareholders or invest it in any meaningful way.

I'm pretty sure that Google are spending all their spare cash on underground bunkers, compounds hidden in volcanos and training armies of Henchmen.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Of course I agree, but my point is that somehow the left in this country want to pin the blame on the government in this country for conditions in France. Sometimes I really do wonder what planet they live on.
    It really is like trying to have an argument when you are tied down by logic - and your opponent is not.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Viewcode, velt-ansh-ow-ung.

It's more velt-an-show-ung, but the 'show' is pronounced 'sh-ow' [latter syllable being the sound of pain].

Just scanned the thread. Sounds like Labour's led by a bunch of loonies.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited January 2016
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

HA!

You really don't have to be a troughing tax dodger to generate some quite ridiculously bad headlines over tax when you have an excessively political media. Just as Phil Boswell.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    chestnut said:

Indeed.

These migrants are not in Syria or North Korea, they are in France.
    And calling them a bunch of migrants is perfectly fair. If they are not migrants but asylum seekers, let them come forward and claim that status. Until they do, they are a bunch of migrants who are seeking to exploit systems and should not be accorded the rights that come with being an asylum seeker.
  • Options

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

It's velt-an-show(rhyme with cow)-ung.
    That's very helpful, thank you.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

You must go to one of those poncy poseurish pubs. Plain English in Dundee (at least until we are "refreshed", after that it is more variable).
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Patrick said:

Dan Hodges making a very good point about the shambolic and fragmented Leave campaign thus far:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12124650/If-leaving-the-EU-is-so-important-why-do-the-Right-have-so-little-to-say-about-it.html

Let's hope that someone credible steps up to front things and pull together the right people and arguments.

Hodge's europhilia has clearly blinded him. There is a lot wrong with his article. Too much to write in a message typed on a phone. Anyone describing the BSE leaflet as high quality has the weakest grasp of facts. The polls are narrowing and will narrow further as the EU lurches from crisis to crisis. The BSE campaign are reliant on the Leave campaign groups wanting to sign an FTA with the EU. If one of them comes out suggesting EFTA and EEA it is game over for Remain.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

LondonBob said:

I wouldn't exaggerate the Sunni-Shia thing. It is more a Saudi Wahhabi against everyone else thing. The Houthis are Shia Zaidi, and they and the Sunni Shafi have traditionally gotten along well together. The Houthis still count on considerable Sunni backing within the country and their rise in Yemen was enabled by military units loyal to Yemen's ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh.l

This implies that Ali Abdullah Saleh and his supporters were Sunni. There were not - he and his tribal base are also Zaidi.
    Whenever MoscowBob agrees with me I always feel like it is time to rethink my positions. :/
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    When the left collectively lose their heads over the word 'bunch', you know they are morally and intellectually lost.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2016
    "Muslim communities are unlike others in Britain and the country should accept that they will not integrate in the same way, the former head of the equalities watchdog has said.
    Trevor Phillips said that it was disrespectful to suppose that Muslim communities would change, claiming that we should accept that they “see the world differently from the rest of us”.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4675392.ece
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    LondonBob said:

MaxPB said:

I wouldn't exaggerate the Sunni-Shia thing. It is more a Saudi Wahhabi against everyone else thing. The Houthis are Shia Zaidi, and they and the Sunni Shafi have traditionally gotten along well together. The Houthis still count on considerable Sunni backing within the country and their rise in Yemen was enabled by military units loyal to Yemen's ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/04/07/forget-what-youre-hearing-the-civil-war-in-yemen-is-not-a-sectarian-conflict/

The Saudis need to be put back in their box, although Dave instead chose to loosen visa restrictions on Gulfies coming to this country, with tragic consequences as anyone familiar with Knightsbridge will know.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/12029546/Saudi-Arabia-destabilising-Arab-world-German-intelligence-warns.html
    Give me rich Arabs clogging up Hans Crescent and bulk buying macaroons any day of the week, over the vile exports from the Motherland drawn to London. Russians win hands down when it comes to rudeness and poor behaviour in the UK's capital.
  • Options
    @rcs1000 Just been talking with @Socrates, he's banned again. Apparently about 20 mins after you unbanned him a while ago.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited January 2016
    On Topic:

When I first heard that he was going to boycott the debate, first thing I did was look at google trends:

https://www.google.com/trends/story/US_cu_5NL_ZVIBAABJNM_en

Interest on Trump which was already 3 times as much as Cruz, doubled in an instant and it's still sky high.

Then I watched the coverage on all the other TV networks apart from Fox, they were all fawning on Trump saying how brilliant he is.

And last I watched for the first time live a Trump speech to see what will he say about Fox, he was glowing and looked very happy as he spent most of the time introducing the University of Iowa football team that endorsed him on stage, with thousands of smartphones in the air recording that.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

When the left collectively lose their heads over the word 'bunch', you know they are morally and intellectually lost.

They think they are right, and have right on their side. That's why their reaction is so visceral.

The bottom line is that Cameron pointed out that Corbyn went to sympathise with people *in France* who think they have the right to come to England, when they don't.

Raising rhetorical hell over the phraseology strongly implies that they actually think that these migrants should be admitted.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes: I don't spend 100 hours in Excel just to enlighten my Politicalbetting friends :lol:
    Lol, it gives a very global perspective on what is considered by most to be a local problem. Clearly international co-operation in the only way forward, no matter how much the US don't like international agreements.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

@rcs1000 Just been talking with @Socrates, he's banned again. Apparently about 20 mins after you unbanned him a while ago.

Any suggestions?

I thought Socrates was female all this time.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited January 2016

They think they are right, and have right on their side. That's why their reaction is so visceral.

The bottom line is that Cameron pointed out that Corbyn went to sympathise with people *in France* who think they have the right to come to England, when they don't.

Raising rhetorical hell over the phraseology strongly implies that they actually think that these migrants should be admitted.
    Agreed.
    BTW Cameron visited camps inTurkey didn't he, or Jordan. Conditions in camps in France or the responsibility of France.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Lol, it gives a very global perspective on what is considered by most to be a local problem. Clearly international co-operation in the only way forward, no matter how much the US don't like international agreements.
    I think that's right.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

On Topic:

When I first heard that he was going to boycott the debate, first thing I did was look at google trends:

Interest on Trump which was already 3 times as much as Cruz, doubled in an instant and it's still sky high.

Then I watched the coverage on all the other TV networks apart from Fox, they were all fawning on Trump saying how brilliant he is.

And last I watched for the first time live a Trump speech to see what will he say about Fox, he was glowing and looked very happy as he spent most of the time introducing the University of Iowa football team that endorsed him on stage, with thousands of smartphones in the air recording that.

The front runner should never take the risk of a debate if at all possible, one of the very few things where something could go wrong. Anyway Trump is that good a politician anything he does turns out to be the right thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I think @MaxPB's earlier suggestion (pro-rate global profit margin to local revenues) is more of a runner.
  • Options

David Cameron's just a pound shop Donald Trump :lol:
  • Options

Not very good at politics™
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited January 2016
    LondonBob said:

Speedy said:

On Topic:

The front runner should never take the risk of a debate if at all possible, one of the very few things where something could go wrong. Anyway Trump is that good a politician anything he does turns out to be the right thing.
    Cruz offered a one on one debate without moderators.
    Trump should take it, place it in a boxing stadium full of his supporters, with Alex Jones as the presenter-faux referee and invite all channels to cover it, WWF style and crush Cruz on Trump's turf with Trump's rules and on the same time as the Fox debate to force Cruz to skip it too.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Danny565 said:

Aw, bless.... What did we reckon it was, if it is in proportion to their number of MP's, then the LibDems will be getting called about one PMQs in eight? They might get one more outing then before the local elections....
    If they were still led by Clegg, former deputy prime minister, then even with 8 seats they might warrant a regular question. But they are led by someone who went out of his way not to have anything to do with the terrors of government. Just what does he deserve?
    The only thought that I can see he has is to do what he can to help Corbyn and his bunch into power.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    edited January 2016
    OT: Feel the Corbynista respect for ordinary people and their opinions.

Our local Social Housing management organisation, which has an excellent record since 2002, is likely to be abolished to put the housing stock back under close political control by the Councillor responsible for Housing, one Councillor Keir Morrison (no wonder he's confused) - a Momentum chappie.

The residents seem to like what they have.
    http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/council-agrees-in-principle-to-axe-ashfield-homes-residents-plan-to-take-on-housing-stock-themselves-if-decision-is-upheld-1-7678399
  • Options

Not very good at politics™
    My biggest regret on election night was not doing a thread entitled 'Cameron shows he's quite good at politics'

At least I got Ajockalypse Now and Balls deep in trouble into threads that night.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/what-is-the-obama-sanders-relationship-there-isnt-one/2016/01/26/03c5244a-c45e-11e5-9693-933a4d31bcc8_story.html

The WH says that at a Christmas party Obama casually asked Bernie to "stop by some time." I don't think that is the cause of this meeting. So what is it?

"I want you to accept that HRC will be the nominee and I will campaign hard against you if you do not." That does not seem a fruitful approach for Obama and he must know that.
    She may be indicted and I would then have to step away from her. The FBI can't be trusted to keep their mouths shut.
    Even if she isn't indicted this legal "sword of Damocles" will hang over her forever.
    If she withdraws from the race can I rely on you to continue my program of "Hope and Change?"
    Tell me why I should not "unleash" Biden if she withdraws.

So, tell me what this is about?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Meanwhile in tweeting making twats news:
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/692335839515402240

So far this week I've learned objecting to having your home invaded by a horde of violent anarchists makes one a Nazi, and using the word 'bunch' makes one a racist. Gosh.
  • Options

What strikes me is how many of them are so unworldly and insular, ironically enough.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I think @MaxPB's earlier suggestion (pro-rate global profit margin to local revenues) is more of a runner.
    Which assumes that profit margins in different countries is the same, which is clearly not the case.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    I'm confused about bunches.

Is someone upset, and aren't the Shad Cab a bunch of 'nanas any more?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Which assumes that profit margins in different countries is the same, which is clearly not the case.
    It doesn't assume that; as you say it's clearly not the case. It's just a basis for taxation.

International companies are welcome to leave if they don't like our terms of business.
  • Options
    I'm worried about this tweet:

twitter.com/JulietteLewis/status/690065848103337984
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I see Corbyn has now decided that not answering a question is deemed to be "not answering the way Corbyn wants it to be answered..

There are not enough words to describe what a fool Corbyn is.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,689
    edited January 2016
    MattW said:

I prefer green grapes over a bunch of black grapes.

Am I a racist ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I think that's right.
    Nah, the US will never go for it. They still have this inherent American exceptionalist attitude when it comes to their idiotic global tax on US based companies. Pro-rating is going to be the only method that will yield results and it only needs one major nation to do it and others will follow. The UK is one of the largest consumer markets in the world, companies can't threaten to leave because they have to pay a bit of tax. I think shareholders would rather have 75% (or 82% if they get their house in order) of something rather than 100% of nothing.
  • Options

What strikes me is how many of them are so unworldly and insular, ironically enough.
    Not really, they are all happy in their 'safe spaces and echo chambers'.
  • Options

MattW said:

I prefer green grapes over a bunch of black grapes.

Am I a racist ?
    Do you like your women like your coffee ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I think that's right.
    Nah, the US will never go for it. They still have this inherent American exceptionalist attitude when it comes to their idiotic global tax on US based companies. Pro-rating is going to be the only method that will yield results and it only needs one major nation to do it and others will follow. The UK is one of the largest consumer markets in the world, companies can't threaten to leave because they have to pay a bit of tax. I think shareholders would rather have 75% (or 82% if they get their house in order) of something rather than 100% of nothing.
    US GAAP is still a fair way from IFRS iirc too.
This discussion has been closed.