Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s big pre-Iowa gamble: pulling out of Thursday’s TV d

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    LucyJones said:

Sandpit said:

Authorities in the German city of Cologne are to set up a “safe zone” for women during the annual carnival which begins next week, to avoid a repeat of the New Year sex attacks on women.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/12122998/Cologne-sex-attacks-Safe-zone-for-women-planned-ahead-of-citys-carnival.html

That suggests the authorities are admitting there are going to be "unsafe" zones for women that they can't fully control.

That looks terrible, and worse still it suggests that the police are struggling to contain the problem. Are many women actually going to turn up for the carnival given the chance of them ending up assaulted, mugged or raped?
    Welcome to the modern Europe, full of designated areas where police will try to prevent rape. The insinuation is that outside of those areas its a free for all. Well done Merkel.
    Police? From the article: "The authorities plan to provide extra street lighting and set up a “safe zone” for women in the city centre, staffed with social workers. " How very reassuring.
    FFs an army of social workers to counsel victims of sexual abuse.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,853

Diane Abbot went to Oxford so did Burnham

Actually Burnham went to Cambridge. Oxonians will view that as an inferior degree no doubt.
    Abbot went to Fenn Poly too......Cowley Tech are a bit pickier...... ;-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    @JosiasJessop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4bvFohf8Jk

I reckon it was this encounter which set the whole ball rolling.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    edited January 2016
    LucyJones said:

Sandpit said:

Authorities in the German city of Cologne are to set up a “safe zone” for women during the annual carnival which begins next week, to avoid a repeat of the New Year sex attacks on women.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/12122998/Cologne-sex-attacks-Safe-zone-for-women-planned-ahead-of-citys-carnival.html

That suggests the authorities are admitting there are going to be "unsafe" zones for women that they can't fully control.

That looks terrible, and worse still it suggests that the police are struggling to contain the problem. Are many women actually going to turn up for the carnival given the chance of them ending up assaulted, mugged or raped?
    Welcome to the modern Europe, full of designated areas where police will try to prevent rape. The insinuation is that outside of those areas its a free for all. Well done Merkel.
    Police? From the article: "The authorities plan to provide extra street lighting and set up a “safe zone” for women in the city centre, staffed with social workers. " How very reassuring.
    Social workers. Hmm. The ones in this country did a sterling job in Rotherham, for the rapists.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Wow, as somebody who has no interest in US politics Trump has got me interested. I wonder how many Americans, like me, appreciate his straight talking and anti establishment rhetoric. I'll admit I know nothing of his policies but I like the cut of his jib, I hope he wins in the same way I was pleased Corbyn did.

So you know nothing of the policies of the guy who you want to become the most powerful politician in the world but you like the fact that he's 'straight talking', some may say rude.
    Also you were pleased that Corbyn was elected leader of Labour.
    Sounds like you're a bit of an anarchist, the more chaos the better?
    No I'm the opposite of an anarchist, I believe in democracy. Corbyn was elected and having been to America I liked them very much and trust them to elect who they consider the best candidate. Regardless of what happens my life won't change a bit, but I like Trump's approach.
    Morning all,

Salmond told Channel 4 last night that he had two tickets to Antarctica in case Trump wins, as nuclear fall-out will take a long time to reach the frozen south. Personally, I will settle for a shelter in the garden.
    Well that is a positive reason to vote Trump.
    LOL. Do you mean Salmond or my shelter in the garden? :-)
    Lovely as your shelter sounds, a world where Salmond has disappeared would be worth putting up with 4 years of Trump
  • Options

My sensitive antennae are picking up that Nad doesn't rate Cecil.

The Times are reporting Chelsea want the poor man's Klopp, Poch, as manager.

What do you think ?
    Saw that headline just before bed, I wept gently in to my pillow as a result.

At the very least it's always nice to try a bit of mind games especially with Spurs as we're not known for resilience (well until Poch) but I don't see Chelsea's old boys really fitting with the Poch 'kids' style.

As others have noted there's a definite bubble of real optimism building at the Lane and it's just whether Levy can stop the established CL cartel teams popping it ... again.

Similarly did I see Spurs are reported to want to take a couple of Leicester's players (Vardy & Kante).

Big fish eating little fish syndrome...
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Chris Choy
    Cheer yourself up reading the new UK death figures https://t.co/BXPG1PZBhT
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. Pulpstar, you may be right.

Merkel remains a moron.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Wow, as somebody who has no interest in US politics Trump has got me interested. I wonder how many Americans, like me, appreciate his straight talking and anti establishment rhetoric. I'll admit I know nothing of his policies but I like the cut of his jib, I hope he wins in the same way I was pleased Corbyn did.

So you know nothing of the policies of the guy who you want to become the most powerful politician in the world but you like the fact that he's 'straight talking', some may say rude.
    No I'm the opposite of an anarchist, I believe in democracy. Corbyn was elected and having been to America I liked them very much and trust them to elect who they consider the best candidate. Regardless of what happens my life won't change a bit, but I like Trump's approach.
    Morning all,

Salmond told Channel 4 last night that he had two tickets to Antarctica in case Trump wins, as nuclear fall-out will take a long time to reach the frozen south. Personally, I will settle for a shelter in the garden.
    Well that is a positive reason to vote Trump.
    LOL. Do you mean Salmond or my shelter in the garden? :-)
    Lovely as your shelter sounds, a world where Salmond has disappeared would be worth putting up with 4 years of Trump
    Can we lock Salmond up in Rottenborough's shelter regardless of the election outcome?
  • Options

On topic.

I'm sure this will damage Trump as much as Cameron's failure to take on Miliband mano e mano in an election debate.

Trump does seem to be immune from almost every known political attack. He appears to have actually reshaped the political landscape. That in itself is one heck of an achievement.
  • Options

What do you think ?

At the very least it's always nice to try a bit of mind games especially with Spurs as we're not known for resilience (well until Poch) but I don't see Chelsea's old boys really fitting with the Poch 'kids' style.

As others have noted there's a definite bubble of real optimism building at the Lane and it's just whether Levy can stop the established CL cartel teams popping it ... again.

Similarly did I see Spurs are reported to want to take a couple of Leicester's players (Vardy & Kante).

Well I hope Chelsea don't get him and that Spurs sign Vardy. Because we've been linked with him and I reckon he's a one season wonder. Form is temporary and class is permanent yada yada
  • Options
    Super

Classic Peter Brookes cartoon in today's @thetimes https://t.co/cBC3HE63GV
  • Options

What do you think ?

Money talks and if Chelsea offer squillions Poch will be flattered, but with the squad he's building and the new ground almost there he has the opportunity to shape a football club in his own image.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

A bad president can cause endless problems for Europe. Obama's weakness is one source of Russia meddling in the former Soviet states; Bush's war in Iraq did untold damage to European-American relations; Wilson's arrogance and intransigence left Europe in the lurch when Congress threw out US involvement in the League; Coolidge's complacence was in no small part responsible for the Bubble before the Bust.

Obviously, there's far more to it than that but the consequences of bad policy in the US will be felt around the world.

There is a piece of analysis waiting to be done as to why this cycle's presidential field is just so weak.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Well, the President of the United States makes decisions that affect us, so I wouldn't count on your life "not changing a bit". E.G. decisions that affect interest rates, $/£ exchange rate etc etc.
    I hope the Americans elect the best candidate, but you hope they elect Trump. You were also glad that Corbyn was elected. Sorry, you may not want chaos or think of yourself as an anarchist, but that's what you are wishing for. Look at Corbyn's Labour Party for an example.
    Yes I'm looking at Labour, they got what they voted for. And the Americans will do the same.

I've no idea why you think I'm an anarchist.
    Labour and the Americans will indeed get what they voted for.
    I think you're an anarchist because you were glad that Corbyn was elected Labour leader and because you would like Trump to be elected as POTUS.
    Corbyn has created chaos in the Labour Party and deprived the UK of a real main party of opposition. Trump is likely to create chaos in the US and you want him to be elected even though you don't know what his policies are, because he is "anti-establishment".

anarchy
    ˈanəki/Submit
    noun
    a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    calum said:
    That's like sending Hannibal to take on Caesar
  • Options
    Miss Plato, just saw your tweet about the Danish teen who fought off a would-be rapist, using pepper spray to do so, who's going to be fined for carrying it.

Worth remembering this is going to get worse, perhaps much worse, before it gets better.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Hannibal would've slapped Caesar about with effortless ease.

One suspects that McDonnell will do as much good as Caesar's attack on Dyrrachium.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

notme said:

Mr. Urquhart, nice of them to set up a Rape-free Zone.

Hard to say how accurate this story is (beyond the filmed interruption) but it's said a professor faces legal consequences over this intervention when Merkel's speaking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fmg86zsTY

Only in the sense he is at his place of work and choose to interrupt some announcement for the university by the head of government. She wasnt there making a political speech, she was there as her role as Chancellor.

I would not be surprised to be fired for doing that. The term 'legal action' might be referring to civil redress for the damage he has inflicted on the institution.

He has a fair point, but that wasnt the place to raise it.
    People with Nazi attitudes aren't tolerated in Germany. Quite a chilling interuption and if I had children of the same age as his I wouldn't want him or anyone like him teaching them.

(What wouldn't we give for a politician as talented as Merkel here)
    For all her years in politics and leading her country, there's a significant possibility that Merkel might be remembered for one potentially disastrous decision she made last year.
    If only she'd listened to pb.com

PBTories. Always right.
    Since Corbyn's rise to leader of the Labour party, we're all PB Tories now, comrade. ;)

Leaders often have one moment, one event or decision, that encapsulates their time in power.

Thatcher's historic moment was probably the Falklands. Major's was his resignation against the bastards. Blair's was the Gulf War. Brown's may well be Duffy. Cameron's will probably be the EU referendum or, if his side wins, the 2015 GE.

Merkel's may well be her decision last year,
    Major's was the ERM exit; a European policy disaster that left him looking weak. Everything else followed from that.

Brown's was the bottled election - indecision and unpopularity combined.

Cameron? Too soon to tell. Not every leader has one, a few have more. It will be the referendum if he loses it. If not, perhaps his forming the coalition in the first place.
  • Options

A bad president can cause endless problems for Europe. Obama's weakness is one source of Russia meddling in the former Soviet states; Bush's war in Iraq did untold damage to European-American relations; Wilson's arrogance and intransigence left Europe in the lurch when Congress threw out US involvement in the League; Coolidge's complacence was in no small part responsible for the Bubble before the Bust.

Obviously, there's far more to it than that but the consequences of bad policy in the US will be felt around the world.

There is a piece of analysis waiting to be done as to why this cycle's presidential field is just so weak.
    You make fair points but I maintain the US president doesn't affect my life in the slightest. It will make a few people on here richer or poorer and change other's moods but life will continue as normal.

Apart from the fact that the day after the election Trump is going to nuke every country except us.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Martin Boon
    @ICMResearch weekly #euref tracker. Bremain 41%, Leave 41% DK 18%. = 50:50. Four consecutive falls for Bremain to lowest score in tracker.

ALEURP'd means Remain 59%
  • Options
    calum said:
    Prepare the rickshaw..

https://youtu.be/DiMXuEmqAHA
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited January 2016
    calum said:
    +3 SNP, +2 Tories (second), -5 Labour (trying to hold off the Greens soon).

"It's a strange strategy when opinion polling released this week showed that Jeremy Corbyn is a huge liability to the Labour Party in Scotland.

"Of course, Kezia Dugdale predicted as much before Mr Corbyn's election - predicting that he would leave Labour 'carping from the sidelines'.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467

I didn't watch what I presumed was a hachet job on Trump from Matt Frei last night. Was it any good?

I don't think it was a hatchet job but it certainly wasn't complimentary. Was it a fair representation? I don't know. Trump is certainly a colourful and not particularly pleasant person and that came across strongly.

What did stand out for me, more so than before, was how big his potential weakness with women is. That's why I was asking last night whether he'd got into any heated arguments with Fiorina during the debates, which it seems he didn't. Had he done so, it might have given us an idea as to what he'd be like if he's up against Hillary, which I think has the potential for him to score some big own goals: he is rude and sexist. Politics is of course a rough trade but there are limits as to what's fair game and I think the public has a better sense of that than he does.

Having said that, he clearly has a large, vocal and enthusiastic support base. It's support for slogans rather than thought-out policy but you campaign in poetry and govern in prose; this he gets.

If the documentary is available on line then I'd recommend it if you have a spare 45 minutes. Even if it is a hatchet job (and as I say, I think that's a bit unfair), it'll give a good indication of the negative campaigning he'll be up against.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/how-donald-trump-defeats-hillary-clinton-217868

Roger Stone, Trump’s former longtime political adviser who left the campaign amid acrimony in August, published “The Clintons’ War on Women,” a book that portrays Bill Clinton as a serial sexual abuser and Hillary Clinton as complicit in silencing his victims.

Trump has seized on that line of attack this month. He greeted the New Year by tweeting, “I hope Bill Clinton starts talking about women’s issues so that voters can see what a hypocrite he is and how Hillary abused those women!” on Jan. 2. Five days later, his campaign released an Instagram video that features images linking the Clintons to Monica Lewinsky, Anthony Weiner and Bill Cosby and declares Trump “the true defender of women’s rights.”

Though Nunberg left Trump’s campaign in August, in a recent poll conducted for another client, Nunberg asked women in Connecticut who opposed marijuana legalization who they respected more: a politician who is also charitable and a world-renowned businessman, father and grandfather or an “Elderly woman who not only openly allows her husband to have affairs but tries to silence the women.” The figure with the favorable abstract framing of Trump beat the figure with the negative abstract framing of Clinton by more than 20 points, according to Nunberg.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

What do you think ?

Well I hope Chelsea don't get him and that Spurs sign Vardy. Because we've been linked with him and I reckon he's a one season wonder. Form is temporary and class is permanent yada yada
    Interesting thing with Vardy is that last season (in the league) he scored 5 goals but laid on 12 assists. This season he's scored 16 goals but only laid on 5 assists. His role has been changed.
  • Options

You make fair points but I maintain the US president doesn't affect my life in the slightest. It will make a few people on here richer or poorer and change other's moods but life will continue as normal.

Apart from the fact that the day after the election Trump is going to nuke every country except us.
    If Trump even suggested that, he'd be carted off to a padded cell.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    So far, Cameron's defining moment is the coalition. Specifically that garden press conference. Clearly he has four years to do something to overshadow that, but arguably he peaked on day one.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,058
    edited January 2016

Isil exploiting migrant routes to smuggle jihadists back to Britain using fake documents

"Isil jihadists are exploiting the migrant crisis to smuggle terrorists into Europe with fake passports they can then use to travel to the UK, British intelligence officials fear.
    Islamic State in Iraq and Levant (Isil) is increasingly exploiting the huge migrant flows to slip jihadist cells through undetected to launch attacks in the UK and elsewhere.
    They are mainly travelling on fake Syrian or Iraqi passports which are now so sophisticated it is almost impossible to distinguish between genuine refugees and terror suspects."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/12123333/Refugee-routes-main-tactic-for-Isil-terrorists-to-get-in-to-Europe-and-launch-attacks-British-intelligence-officials-fear.html?WT.mc_id=e_DM83854&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_FAM_New&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_FAM_New_2016_01_27&utm_campaign=DM83854
  • Options
    Dair said:

calum said:
    Just for confirmation, that's your prediction not a poll?

Still find it extraordinary that the Tories are close to within touching distance of Labour there.
  • Options

Well, the President of the United States makes decisions that affect us, so I wouldn't count on your life "not changing a bit". E.G. decisions that affect interest rates, $/£ exchange rate etc etc.
    I hope the Americans elect the best candidate, but you hope they elect Trump. You were also glad that Corbyn was elected. Sorry, you may not want chaos or think of yourself as an anarchist, but that's what you are wishing for. Look at Corbyn's Labour Party for an example.
    Yes I'm looking at Labour, they got what they voted for. And the Americans will do the same.

I think you're an anarchist because you were glad that Corbyn was elected Labour leader and because you would like Trump to be elected as POTUS.
    Corbyn has created chaos in the Labour Party and deprived the UK of a real main party of opposition. Trump is likely to create chaos in the US and you want him to be elected even though you don't know what his policies are, because he is "anti-establishment".

anarchy
    ˈanəki/Submit
    noun
    a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
    How odd, I repeatedly state that I abide by the outcome of elections yet you continue to call me an anarchist. I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make, it seems YOU have the problem with democracy.
  • Options

Miss Plato, just saw your tweet about the Danish teen who fought off a would-be rapist, using pepper spray to do so, who's going to be fined for carrying it.

Worth remembering this is going to get worse, perhaps much worse, before it gets better.

In the UK the teen would be facing a potential jail sentence. Pepper Spray is classed as a firearm with similar punishment.
  • Options
    Kezia reminds me of a nursery school teacher for some reason. Pleasent enough, but not an intellectual heavyweight.
  • Options
    Mr. Dair, I'd agree, except that the police seem incapable of protecting people from crime (especially women from sexual assault). If they're unable to protect people, it's not fair to prosecute them for protecting themselves.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

If Trump even suggested that, he'd be carted off to a padded cell.
    Check out irony in the dictionary
  • Options

As was the Labour leadership field last year, and as will be the Tory field next time. People no longer want to do politics - how much longer will they want to do political betting?

• Options

Dair said:

calum said:
    Just for confirmation, that's your prediction not a poll?

Still find it extraordinary that the Tories are close to within touching distance of Labour there.
    Yes, prediction based on the Labour "Top Team" coming to Scotland and its likely effect.
  • Options
    Dair said:

In the UK the teen would be facing a potential jail sentence. Pepper Spray is classed as a firearm with similar punishment.
    It's the sort of case you can't win if you're the judge or magistrate holding court over her. I think a prosecution may well not have gone ahead here as being "outside the public interest".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Kezia reminds me of a nursery school teacher for some reason. Pleasent enough, but not an intellectual heavyweight.

She has found her calling. Indeed as a (patronising) teacher of young children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tChvX-kDCV0
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'how much longer will they want to do political betting'

Clue: as long as there is money it
  • Options

As was the Labour leadership field last year, and as will be the Tory field next time. People no longer want to do politics - how much longer will they want to do political betting?

Why should anyone betting on politics care if the characters are particularly weak or strong ?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    In Italy Pepper Spray and Police style batons are described as defensive weapons and are on open sale..
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,207

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

notme said:

Mr. Urquhart, nice of them to set up a Rape-free Zone.

Hard to say how accurate this story is (beyond the filmed interruption) but it's said a professor faces legal consequences over this intervention when Merkel's speaking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fmg86zsTY

Only in the sense he is at his place of work and choose to interrupt some announcement for the university by the head of government. She wasnt there making a political speech, she was there as her role as Chancellor.

I would not be surprised to be fired for doing that. The term 'legal action' might be referring to civil redress for the damage he has inflicted on the institution.

He has a fair point, but that wasnt the place to raise it.
    People with Nazi attitudes aren't tolerated in Germany. Quite a chilling interuption and if I had children of the same age as his I wouldn't want him or anyone like him teaching them.

(What wouldn't we give for a politician as talented as Merkel here)
    For all her years in politics and leading her country, there's a significant possibility that Merkel might be remembered for one potentially disastrous decision she made last year.
    If only she'd listened to pb.com

PBTories. Always right.
    Since Corbyn's rise to leader of the Labour party, we're all PB Tories now, comrade. ;)

Leaders often have one moment, one event or decision, that encapsulates their time in power.

Thatcher's historic moment was probably the Falklands. Major's was his resignation against the bastards. Blair's was the Gulf War. Brown's may well be Duffy. Cameron's will probably be the EU referendum or, if his side wins, the 2015 GE.

Merkel's may well be her decision last year,
    Major's was the ERM exit; a European policy disaster that left him looking weak. Everything else followed from that.

Brown's was the bottled election - indecision and unpopularity combined.

Cameron? Too soon to tell. Not every leader has one, a few have more. It will be the referendum if he loses it. If not, perhaps his forming the coalition in the first place.
    I'd agree they're candidates. But I'm thinking more of events that sum up the politician's time in power; their weaknesses and strengths. In the case of Duffy, it shows Brown's cluelessness and gross stupidity on many levels.

Major and the bastards shows the strength that allowed him to win in 1992, yet the weakness he showed in failing to control the party (although I doubt anyone could have controlled the feral beast that was the Conservative party in the 1990s).
  • Options

Or politics full stop.

Vote numbers are dropping all the time, some on here are obsessed by it but the electorate doesn't even reach meh levels of interest.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

What do you think ?

I don't think Poch will leave, especially not for Chelsea. If RM came knocking then I could see it happen, but not for Chelsea. He would be moving down the league, with a worse and older squad full of egomaniacs and a club system that sells young talent to buy in old talent. It is the opposite of what Poch has done at Spurs and Southampton.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

It's the sort of case you can't win if you're the judge or magistrate holding court over her. I think a prosecution may well not have gone ahead here as being "outside the public interest".
    Yes, one would hope so, the categorisation of Pepper Spray seems excessive.

But the Outrage Bus in last nights thread was about the mere fact she would be charged. That would happen anywhere and it would be up to the Fiscal or equivalent to make the public interest determination.
  • Options
    Muslims are 'not like us' and we should just accept they will never integrate, says former racial equalities chief Trevor Phillips
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418620/Muslims-not-like-just-accept-never-integrate-says-former-racial-equalities-chief-Trevor-Phillips.html
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

anarchy
    ˈanəki/Submit
    noun
    How odd, I repeatedly state that I abide by the outcome of elections yet you continue to call me an anarchist. I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make, it seems YOU have the problem with democracy.
    You're happy when Corbyn was elected Labour Leader (Labour chaos ensues), you'd be glad if Trump is elected POTUS, even though you don't know what his policies are, because he is "anti-establishment". That's inviting chaos on a much grander scale.
    Your last sentence is just 'yah boo'.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So far, Cameron's defining moment is the coalition. Specifically that garden press conference. Clearly he has four years to do something to overshadow that, but arguably he peaked on day one.

That won't go down well here.

That the Tories are so close to Labour in Scotland says more about the state the Labour party at this moment in time than anything else. The Labour party right now is like a person on fire who doesn't realise it.

Meanwhile if the US Presidental Election is Trump vs Sanders I'll be convinced the apocalypse is actually nigh.
  • Options

Or politics full stop.

Vote numbers are dropping all the time, some on here are obsessed by it but the electorate doesn't even reach meh levels of interest.
    Didn't turnout go up the last three general elections?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jonathan said:

Or politics full stop.

Didn't turnout go up the last three general elections?
    Och you and your facts :D
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Ffs, even she is going on about deprivation not aspiration. Labour: not very good at politics.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

And even then, squeaky bum time for Scotland...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

People don't remember that now - infact they don't even remember the LDs let alone that they were once part of the government.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I wonder if the would be attacker of the Pepper Spray girl was arrested..or did he just file a complaint about unfair and possibly racist treatment..then escorted to his home..who told the police about it..
  • Options

Or politics full stop.

You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

GE Turnout, last four elections

2001 59.4%
    2005 61.4%
    2010 65.1%
    2015 66.1%
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ffs, even she is going on about deprivation not aspiration. Labour: not very good at politics.
    Not just Red Tories but Incompetent Red Tories.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

People don't remember that now - infact they don't even remember the LDs let alone that they were once part of the government.

If Cameron resigned tomorrow. The news would show three things. The coalition downing street garden press conference. The 2015 exit poll. The 2011 riot. Maybe something related to Scotland.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

What do you think ?

Vardy and Kante are not leaving. This is one happy team and if they want to play in the CL, they will do it at Leicester. We are on the up.

I should point out that for the last 11 seasons the team at the top going into February wins the title.

Our winning streak is now 11 months in duration with only 4 matches lost in all competitions in that time. That is more than a run of form it is class.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919
    Morning all :)

As others have said, by NOT appearing, Trump has made the debate about Trump and that's probably his strongest card because on specifics, he looks very weak and disorganised once you get past the populist ranting.

This is not a UK GE debate - no one is defending a record in Government. Yes, you have Senators who have a record to defend and local Governors and of course Trump is neither of these and while that's a strength that's also a weakness. As I said yesterday, in business he can command and coerce but in Government you have to argue and persuade and that includes people in your own party.

I'm to be convinced Trump is one for argument and persuasion - he is so certain of his own position and the validity of that position that he doesn't or can't entertain diverging views.

This is part of the polarisation process and we see it here. People stop arguing with a room full of people with whom they don't agree and find a room full of people who do agree with them. This systematic polarisation of opinion means people stop talking to each other and end up talking to themselves. It's much easier to talk to people who agree with you than argue with a room full of people who don't.

And yet...healthy debate in a plural political society means being exposed to all views and opinions even the ones you don't like.
  • Options
    OT - how did I miss the resignation of a Labour MP from Westminster so that he can run for the Welsh Assembly?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    edited January 2016

Och, Trump will just order a targeted drone strike on Salmond, the rest of us will be fine.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Aspiration is a form of selfishness.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,510

Och, Trump will just order a targeted drone strike on Salmond, the rest of us will be fine.
    Rumours that the first target for the US Marines after the assumption of President Trump will be a series of offshore windmills opposite a certain golf course are probably exaggerated.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,808

Muslims are 'not like us' and we should just accept they will never integrate, says former racial equalities chief Trevor Phillips
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418620/Muslims-not-like-just-accept-never-integrate-says-former-racial-equalities-chief-Trevor-Phillips.html

Not all of them though. I was impressed by this article by Nus Ghani in the Evening Standard yesterday.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/tory-mp-nus-ghani-i-find-it-very-hard-to-believe-that-anyone-wants-to-cover-up-their-face-a3165066.html

We need far more examples like her.

On the Labour side, Naz Shah is also brave, although I obviously don't share her politics.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited January 2016
    Spurs have just two more points than last season and fewer than under Villa Boas/Sherwood and Redknapp at the same stage of the season.

Perhaps the substantial decline of Chelsea and to a lesser extent Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City is inflating perceptions of Pochettino? Koeman has also exceeded his achievements at Southampton.

Ordinarily, the league leaders would be up in the 50+ point region by now.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited January 2016
    I see the BBC are going big on the "bedroom tax". Funny how they have these rules about calling things based upon official definitions like oh I don't know terrorists & IS, but not for the spare room subsidy.
  • Options

Or politics full stop.

2001 59.4%
    2005 61.4%
    2010 65.1%
    2015 66.1%
    2001 -05 was the most boring parliament ever. It was a seriously, seriously dull time. Everyone knew Labour would win and it didn't even have the excitement of a maiden parliament for a Gov't/
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

I don't think it was a hatchet job but it certainly wasn't complimentary. Was it a fair representation? I don't know. Trump is certainly a colourful and not particularly pleasant person and that came across strongly.

What did stand out for me, more so than before, was how big his potential weakness with women is. That's why I was asking last night whether he'd got into any heated arguments with Fiorina during the debates, which it seems he didn't. Had he done so, it might have given us an idea as to what he'd be like if he's up against Hillary, which I think has the potential for him to score some big own goals: he is rude and sexist. Politics is of course a rough trade but there are limits as to what's fair game and I think the public has a better sense of that than he does.

Having said that, he clearly has a large, vocal and enthusiastic support base. It's support for slogans rather than thought-out policy but you campaign in poetry and govern in prose; this he gets.

If the documentary is available on line then I'd recommend it if you have a spare 45 minutes. Even if it is a hatchet job (and as I say, I think that's a bit unfair), it'll give a good indication of the negative campaigning he'll be up against.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/how-donald-trump-defeats-hillary-clinton-217868

Roger Stone, Trump’s former longtime political adviser who left the campaign amid acrimony in August, published “The Clintons’ War on Women,” a book that portrays Bill Clinton as a serial sexual abuser and Hillary Clinton as complicit in silencing his victims.

Trump has seized on that line of attack this month. He greeted the New Year by tweeting, “I hope Bill Clinton starts talking about women’s issues so that voters can see what a hypocrite he is and how Hillary abused those women!” on Jan. 2. Five days later, his campaign released an Instagram video that features images linking the Clintons to Monica Lewinsky, Anthony Weiner and Bill Cosby and declares Trump “the true defender of women’s rights.”

Though Nunberg left Trump’s campaign in August, in a recent poll conducted for another client, Nunberg asked women in Connecticut who opposed marijuana legalization who they respected more: a politician who is also charitable and a world-renowned businessman, father and grandfather or an “Elderly woman who not only openly allows her husband to have affairs but tries to silence the women.” The figure with the favorable abstract framing of Trump beat the figure with the negative abstract framing of Clinton by more than 20 points, according to Nunberg.
    That carefully avoided mentioning Trump's ex-wife's allegation of rape in her divorce submission, then? Seriously, Trump should avoid that topic like the plague.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    An Interesting take on Holyrood 2016. For what its worth I think SLAB and the Tories performance is going to be driven more by whether the Greens can get their shit together than their own efforts. The real battle for control of Scotland will be the May 2017 Council Elections

https://twitter.com/scotlandvotes/status/692002530075754498
  • Options

Or politics full stop.

2001 59.4%
    2005 61.4%
    2010 65.1%
    2015 66.1%
    My bad, apologies
  • Options
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/news-from-todays-select-committee-the-doors-were-painted-red-20-years-ago/

Will the guardian & bbc be issuing an apology? When the currant bun screws up there are howls of where us their apology.
  • Options

Not all of them though. I was impressed by this article by Nus Ghani in the Evening Standard yesterday.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/tory-mp-nus-ghani-i-find-it-very-hard-to-believe-that-anyone-wants-to-cover-up-their-face-a3165066.html

On the Labour side, Naz Shah is also brave, although I obviously don't share her politics.

Just to add Trevor Philips is wrong because he runs the white flag up, and says it's disrespectful to ask Muslims to integrate.

First, it's disrespectful to everyone else to give them licence not to do so and there are several examples of those who have. I have no issue with Nus Ghani for instance.

The Government should cut off the Muslim Council of Britain which is a special interests group defending its privilege and an apologist for extremism.
  • Options
    I agree with Nick P that Trump has take a risk here. It's a risk which will probably pay off, but it's not enough just to get headlines, you also need those headlines not to put people off. Iowan caucus-goers are notably protective of their solemn if bizarre four-yearly ritual, and notably prone to changing their minds at the last moment.
  • Options

Nus (who is my MP) is great. Definitely one to watch.
  • Options

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/news-from-todays-select-committee-the-doors-were-painted-red-20-years-ago/

Will the guardian & bbc be issuing an apology? When the currant bun screws up there are howls of where us their apology.

Of course they won't. They are never wrong. How could they possibly be wrong?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Spurs have just two more points than last season and fewer than under Villa Boas/Sherwood and Redknapp at the same stage of the season.

Perhaps the substantial decline of Chelsea and to a lesser extent Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City is inflating perceptions of Pochettino? Koeman has also exceeded his achievements at Southampton.

Spurs are currently being massively overrated. The way some go on about them, you'd think they'll be dominating English football next year.

The EPL has declined a bit in the last five years or so. While bottom to middle table teams have improved, United, Liverpool, and Chelsea have all declined. Even Arsenal, who have improved compared to a few years back, aren't that great either.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Redknapp had Bale, King, Modric and VDV and he still managed to make a pig's ear of things
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

People don't remember a lot of things. What was Wilson's defining moment? His 1975 referendum? The 1967 devaluation? In Place of Strife? His 'legacy' being the Open University (not knocking it as an institution or a concept but Wilson was touted as a great leader before his time and underwhelmed greatly). I'm not sure any one stands out.

Heath? EEC, U-turn or 3 day week?

Macmillan? Never had it so good or Night of the long knives?

I tend to agree that the formation of the Coalition was the defining moment of Cameron's premiership (so far - the referendum has the chance to eclipse it). It was classic in its combination of pragmatism and ruthlessness.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

The BBC will now argue that the doors should have been repainted in random colours, to avoid any embarrassment to our 'guests'.

No doubt Leigh Day are busy assembling as a case for compensation. £25K for a red door, £50K for a wristband etc
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And?
    I infer you approve of selfishness. If I err, I will apologise.

• Options
    chestnut said:

Still think that there's value in Leicester's odds.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

The BBC will now argue that the doors should have been repainted in random colours, to avoid any embarrassment to our 'guests'.
    Well that or it is a disgrace they are being made to live in houses where the maintenance of the properties are so poor that front doors haven't been repainted in such a long time....
  • Options

Nus (who is my MP) is great. Definitely one to watch.
    I like her a lot. Her religion is private and entirely separate from politics. She has no time for the veil. She married an Englishman (integrated by definition) she's natural, empathetic and human, she supports Cameron on integration and has no time for excuses on excluding women from the community, or 'race' trumping gender or opportunity more broadly.

What's not to like?

(She's also rather pretty)
  • Options
  • Options

Eck's trips to the expensive Peninsula Hotel in Chicago may be on a 4 year hiatus.
  • Options

watford30 said:

Well that or it is a disgrace they are being made to live in houses where the maintenance of the properties are so poor that front doors haven't been repainted in such a long time....
    Why don't you lot just get up a Parliamentary petition asking the Government to gift BBC News to Richard Murdoch?

• Options

I like her a lot. Her religion is private and entirely separate from politics. She has no time for the veil. She married an Englishman (integrated by definition) she's natural, empathetic and human, she supports Cameron on integration and has no time for excuses on excluding women from the community, or 'race' trumping gender or opportunity more broadly.

What's not to like?

Yes, and she is absolutely charming. She's also working very hard as a constituency MP, which in ultra-safe seats like this is not always the case.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Andrew Norfolk in the Times came up with this crap. Universally ridiculed in the comments, and now proven to be the cobblers their readers suspected.

He lead on Rotherham. How to rubbish your own reputation.
    watford30 said:

No doubt Leigh Day are busy assembling as a case for compensation. £25K for a red door, £50K for a wristband etc
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    chestnut said:

I was seriously impressed with Spurs when they came to the Emirates - I wish I'd backed them for the title before last weekend. Arsenal fans are hoping for the usual Spurs implosion at the end of the season; it might not happen this time.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Capitalism is a form of selfishness but it has freed more people from poverty, hunger, illness and fear than any other in history.

Aspiration is the only thing that has lifted us out of the stone age.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919

I tend to agree that the formation of the Coalition was the defining moment of Cameron's premiership (so far - the referendum has the chance to eclipse it). It was classic in its combination of pragmatism and ruthlessness.

Once again, David, I don't entirely agree with your analysis which is blessed with the gift of hindsight. On the Friday after the GE, Cameron was on the edge - the fact was Labour plus the LDs and others represented a potential blocking majority to any Conservative legislation.

Cameron could have run the risk of forming the minority administration and daring the others to bring him down (they almost certainly wouldn't have immediately but it would have been akin to the Sword of Damocles hanging over his Government).

In his favour was an exhausted Labour Party and a convergence in opposition between post-Thatcherite Conservatism and Orange-Book Liberalism ("liberal conservatism" and "conservative liberalism" if you like) which made the prospect of the parties led by Cameron and Clegg (who enjoyed an excellent personal relationship and let's not forget that) working together seem less fanciful.

On top of that, you had a Conservative Party who had been out of power for 13 years (and we know, to borrow Edmund Blackadder's analogy, that the Conservative party in Opposition is akin to a broken pencil) and a Lib Dem party out of power for a century and you had the perfect scenario to make the Coalition happen.

The wonder is not that it happened - the wonder is anyone was surprised that it happened.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Capitalism is a form of selfishness but it has freed more people from poverty, hunger, illness and fear than any other in history.

Aspiration is the only thing that has lifted us out of the stone age.
    I actually disagree with Innocent Abroad. That only makes sense if you think working to fulfil your dreams and happiness is innately selfish.

It isn't because it's what you do with your successes that counts - both in terms of your time, skills and money - and in working to pursue your dreams you will be helping to fulfil those of others too.
  • Options
    Migration Watch
    In the event of leaving the EU what could a revised immigration policy look like https://t.co/dINRGSePzZ
  • Options

What's not to like?

Yes, and she is absolutely charming. She's also working very hard as a constituency MP, which in ultra-safe seats like this is not always the case.
    Phwoar.
  • Options
    Labour's Shadow Cabinet team are pretty clever - at least when it comes to expenses claims https://t.co/zhsenmdbVU https://t.co/g02JEl8y9J
  • Options

PS I see Cruz has already seized on line number 2. In fairness, I see Trump is actually reacting to a snide press release from Fox News, and I think he's right that it seems to have been written by "some wise guy". But that's getting lost in the turmoil.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/26/donald-trump-boycott-fox-news-republican-debate

Isn't that the weakest of the attack lines? There are many criticisms one might make of Trump but his potential for being brow-beaten seems an implausible one.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

People don't remember a lot of things. What was Wilson's defining moment? His 1975 referendum? The 1967 devaluation? In Place of Strife? His 'legacy' being the Open University (not knocking it as an institution or a concept but Wilson was touted as a great leader before his time and underwhelmed greatly). I'm not sure any one stands out.

Heath? EEC, U-turn or 3 day week?

Macmillan? Never had it so good or Night of the long knives?

Wilson's defining moment was his pipe. Heath's was being a weirdo, Callaghan - in thrall to the Unions, Maggie - the Falklands, Churhill - WW2.

Cameron - ruining the pollsters ?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Dair said:

Would that be before or after she was taken to the woods by community leaders, doused in petrol and told to recant or they set her alight?
This discussion has been closed.