Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If not Boris then WHO is going to lead of the out campaign?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679
    edited January 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Well, we both have.

Overweight, a little, 13st, 5'10", sedentary (too much time on PB!), lack of exercise (I tend to shun it as undignified), drink a bottle of wine a night, been very stressed for 6 months over a property issue (NPower took 3 months to install an electric meter...), now all resolved with new tenant paying rent, etc.
    Diet. Eat very little, except on a Sunday. Coffee and tea mostly. Never eat fry-ups or red-meat, butter, etc. Never do breakfast.
    Been taking daily aspirin for about 15 years.

Well at the risk of stating the obvious, shouldn't you change some of this stuff before you add another chemical to the cocktail?

I am not a health professional, but here's my tuppence worth - no refunds given.
    Overweight - this is a symptom not a disease
    Do some exercise
    Eat food. Especially breakfast. Personally I love red meat, adore fry ups, and eat as much butter as possible, because with caveats (concerning quality of meat and type of frying oil), I believe they're some of the most healthy things you can eat. Anecdotally, your situation would seem to support my case.
    Moderate your coffee and tea intake - obviously this isn't going to do you any good, your blood sugar will be going up and down like a yoyo.
    I've heard terrible things about regular aspirin use, I wouldn't dream of taking it every day. We haven't evolved to take aspirin every day, so I can't see how it could be a necessary component of a healthy functioning body.

EDIT Yes, just read Richard's post - less wine in the evenings, though a good *glass* of red is good for the health imo, especially after a meal.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Welsh Assembly — an interesting point is that UKIP didn't contest any of the constituency seats in 2011. I assume they will this time.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Hate dogs, and live in a 2nd floor flat..

Is there a lift? If so, do you use it?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

Only stairs, up and down at least twice a day, every day.
    I love them and take them in my stride.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    RodCrosby said:

Well, we both have.

Overweight, a little, 13st, 5'10", sedentary (too much time on PB!), lack of exercise (I tend to shun it as undignified), drink a bottle of wine a night, been very stressed for 6 months over a property issue (NPower took 3 months to install an electric meter...), now all resolved with new tenant paying rent, etc.
    Diet. Eat very little, except on a Sunday. Coffee and tea mostly. Never eat fry-ups or red-meat, butter, etc. Never do breakfast.

My glasgow GP wanted me on the blood pressure meds when I was still early 30s. My booze consumption was probably similar. I cut it back. never took the meds. No bp problems now almost 15 yrs after. I guess their prescribing attitude was based on the locality..

Easier to have a completly abstemious day than drink the half bottle in my experience

good luck
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    edited January 2016
    Not being one to listen to music much, I must say audiobooks were a great help with increasing my exercise regime, as otherwise walking was just too dull an activity to keep up, running too hard on the knees and team sports not regular enough. A mile walk to work, a mile and a bit at lunch, a mile back, then 30-60 mins after work (so 1.5-3.5 miles), and no other exercise, combined with some food discipline saw me go from 5'7" 13st 10lb to 11st 4lb.

Back up to 12st 4lb since I've relaxed the exercise and food discipline, which is considerably overweight if you believe the BMI, although I don't feel it. Probably do need to lose that stone again though.

Thus another contribution to 'PB admits it is overweight' sharing session.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Only stairs, up and down at least twice a day, every day.
    I love them and take them in my stride.
    Good, stairs are the best piece of gym equipment known to mankind.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RodCrosby said:

Hate dogs, and live in a 2nd floor flat.

I occasionally go for a 20 minute walk along our fantastic beach/promenade. Did that twice today, while contemplating my mortality, per the death sentence issued by the follower of Hippocrates.

Always been a fast walker, passing everyone else by, as I complete the pointless exercise with ease...

Get a Fitbit and make sure you do at least 10,000 steps a day. As others have said, walking is a good way not to be sedentary if you don't like the idea of 'exercise'.

Four habits of people who lose weight and keep it off:

1. eat breakfast
    2. be active at least 1 hour per day (the 10,000 fitbit steps is a good proxy for this)
    3. watch less than 2 hours of telly a day (probably directly related to 2)
    4. weigh yourself at least once per week

For me, what helps in additional is keeping a food log. Not necessarily calorie counting, but just keeping an account helps keep me accountable. Most urges to eat or drink calories pass within 20 minutes - so if you have a hankering, hold off for 30 before acting. [but in fairness that does not seem to be your problem - for you it seems to revolve around the sedentary lifestyle]

Final thing, eating fresh food with a good nutrient balance, and getting some exercise will give you more energy - both physical and mental.
  • Options
    "Chris Grayling calls EU 'disastrous' for Britain in clearest signal yet he plans to back Leave

Writing for the Daily Telegraph, the Leader of the House of Commons says he backs David Cameron's plan to renegotiate Britain's membership"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12098372/Chris-Grayling-calls-EU-disastrous-for-Britain-in-clearest-signal-yet-he-plans-to-back-Leave.html
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,179
    RodCrosby said:

I occasionally go for a 20 minute walk along our fantastic beach/promenade. Did that twice today, while contemplating my mortality, per the death sentence issued by the follower of Hippocrates.

Always been a fast walker, passing everyone else by, as I complete the pointless exercise with ease...

Go swimming.

Every council has a local pool and will have two-three slots where all or part of the pool is laned off for non-pro adults to swim up and down. Pick a day, get a bus/taxi there, do five-ten lengths, get out and bus/taxi back. 30-60 mins max and cheap as chips. Repeat each week and increase by about five-ten lengths per month. Within two years you will be doing 100 lengths per week and your body will never have been better. I've seen 70yr olds with Fight Club musculatures by doing this and it's more fun than fun.
  • Options
    A fitbit was a good motivator I found - encouraged me to wander about for the odd 5-10 minute burst to meet various goals. 15000 steps, then 20000.

I refuse to eat regular breakfasts - I don't feel like eating for several hours after I get up, forcing myself to do so won't put me in a good mind or body for the day.

A food log I found to great a hassle - so I just found a very boring meal set up to stick to and had the same thing every day.

Things would be much easier if the treadmill in my house could be maneuvered to face the TV or PC, but the other furniture makes it inconvenient.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

Get a Fitbit and make sure you do at least 10,000 steps a day. As others have said, walking is a good way not to be sedentary if you don't like the idea of 'exercise'.

1. eat breakfast
    2. be active at least 1 hour per day (the 10,000 fitbit steps is a good proxy for this)

For me, what helps in additional is keeping a food log. Not necessarily calorie counting, but just keeping an account helps keep me accountable. Most urges to eat or drink calories pass within 20 minutes - so if you have a hankering, hold off for 30 before acting. [but in fairness that does not seem to be your problem - for you it seems to revolve around the sedentary lifestyle]

Final thing, eating fresh food with a good nutrient balance, and getting some exercise will give you more energy - both physical and mental.
    Great activity advice, but imo calorie counting is (rightfully) going the way of the ark - all energy giving foods are not created equal, and you cannot starve your way to health.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    RodCrosby said:

For goodness sake, this conversation is getting daft. You have high blood pressure. So have millions of other people, it is not a death sentence. Take the tablets live normally but reasonably sensibly and forget it.

Probably it will take a while and quite a few visits to the quack until the right dose and combination of tablets for you is established (this took a few months in my case and don't be surprised if you end up taking several different types of tablet). Thereafter you will have to pop in to the surgery every six months and see the quack or the nurse to check all is well.

Having been on the tablets myself for nearly 20 years I'd offer two bits of solid advice. Firstly, buy a season ticket to cover your prescription charges (you will save a fortune) and secondly do NOT buy a blood pressure monitor (if you do you will risk becoming obsessed by every slight change and it will actually make you more anxious and so drive your base BP up).
  • Options
    Personally, I'd try to lose the weight again now, but it'd interfere with my informal New Year's Resolutions to get through both my unread book pile and my unplayed game pile - both getting rather cumbersome, the latter digitally of course, but do need addressing!

Hmm? Oh, on topic, Rees-Mogg is entertaining and even charming, in an unconventional way, they could do worse.
  • Options
    Third Test, Jo'burg:

SA 2.78
    Eng 2.88
    Draw 3.35

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/event?id=27608362
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    surbiton said:

MikeK said:

The Times have an article which says petrol may soon be cheaper than water

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYoiY43WwAAfKEk.jpg

Talk is of $10 per barrel oil.
    All this time we were told low oil price was good for the economy; now we are told it is bad...
    A low oil price is good for the economy
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    When's the next GOP debate btw ?

Is it tommorow ?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

For goodness sake, this conversation is getting daft. You have high blood pressure. So have millions of other people, it is not a death sentence. Take the tablets live normally but reasonably sensibly and forget it.

Probably it will take a while and quite a few visits to the quack until the right dose and combination of tablets for you is established (this took a few months in my case and don't be surprised if you end up taking several different types of tablet). Thereafter you will have to pop in to the surgery every six months and see the quack or the nurse to check all is well.

Having been on the tablets myself for nearly 20 years I'd offer two bits of solid advice. Firstly, buy a season ticket to cover your prescription charges (you will save a fortune) and secondly do NOT buy a blood pressure monitor (if you do you will risk becoming obsessed by every slight change and it will actually make you more anxious and so drive your base BP up).
    It is not daft at all - this post is daft, and I say that as someone that respects your posts here enormously.

Why on earth wouldn't you make some healthy lifestyle changes before taking something to cure a symptom that bad choices have created in the first place?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

A low oil price is good for the economy

.. except in Aberdeen.
  • Options

I can never get over the fact that petrol is cheaper than milk. How far down are those cows buried?

• Options
    viewcode said:

I can never get over the fact that petrol is cheaper than milk. How far down are those cows buried?

I assume the price being quoted is for unrefined oil rather than the actual price that petrol is sold at in the UK with tax and VAT.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Since you've posted this (and kudos for being so frank):

- 13st is too much
    - Sedentary is bad. I tend to agree about exercise being undignified, but you don't have to pump iron in some hideous gym. Walking is good and fun. If in doubt, run up the stairs.
    - I'm not exactly abstemious myself, but a bottle of wine a night is too much. Ease back to a half bot or so, of better stuff to compensate (it will help a lot with the weight).
    - Why get stressed over an electricity meter? Chillax. The world won't come to an end.
    You don't just have to pump iron in gyms, at my gym they have a treadmill with a screen with walks with scenes of mountains in New Zealand, cities in Germany and the Grand Canyon and there are rowing machines, bikes etc (Nothing to stop you cycling in the great outdoors either!)
    Nowt wrong with a bit of weightlifting. You can do it in a nice gym and plenty of normal folk do. Its not the 1980s any more.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Since you've posted this (and kudos for being so frank):

- 13st is too much
    - Sedentary is bad. I tend to agree about exercise being undignified, but you don't have to pump iron in some hideous gym. Walking is good and fun. If in doubt, run up the stairs.
    - I'm not exactly abstemious myself, but a bottle of wine a night is too much. Ease back to a half bot or so, of better stuff to compensate (it will help a lot with the weight).
    - Why get stressed over an electricity meter? Chillax. The world won't come to an end.
    You don't just have to pump iron in gyms, at my gym they have a treadmill with a screen with walks with scenes of mountains in New Zealand, cities in Germany and the Grand Canyon and there are rowing machines, bikes etc (Nothing to stop you cycling in the great outdoors either!)
    Nowt wrong with a bit of weightlifting. You can do it in a nice gym and plenty of normal folk do. Its not the 1980s any more.
    I even do a few weights or weights machines myself, I said 'you don't just have to pump iron' not 'don't pump iron!'
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

It is not daft at all - this post is daft, and I say that as someone that respects your posts here enormously.

Why on earth wouldn't you make some healthy lifestyle changes before taking something to cure a symptom that bad choices have created in the first place?
    Mr. 1983, making some changes to ones lifestyle to make it a bit healthier is always perfectly sensible, regardless of medical conditions. Though by the way not all BP problems are caused by bad lifestyle choices (e.g mine were caused by kidney failure which in turn was probably caused by a virus picked up in the tropics).

What I think is daft, and dangerous, is to treat a diagnosis of hypertension as some dreadful thing. It really isn't.
  • Options
    George Osborne wants Sajid Javid to join the Brexit campaign to boost his own leadership hopes, Eurosceptic Tory MPs believe.

The business secretary, a key ally of the chancellor, could be given “licence to dissent” during the referendum to help Mr Osborne to win back support after the vote among Tories who wanted Britain to leave the EU.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4664883.ece

• Options

RodCrosby said:

Mr. 1983, making some changes to ones lifestyle to make it a bit healthier is always perfectly sensible, regardless of medical conditions. Though by the way not all BP problems are caused by bad lifestyle choices (e.g mine were caused by kidney failure which in turn was probably caused by a virus picked up in the tropics).

What I think is daft, and dangerous, is to treat a diagnosis of hypertension as some dreadful thing. It really isn't.
    Well that we can both agree on.
  • Options
    The Times.

Senior Tories are pushing for a change in the rules to allow three MPs to stand in the leadership contest (Sam Coates writes).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

I assume the price being quoted is for unrefined oil rather than the actual price that petrol is sold at in the UK with tax and VAT.
    Well...yes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

George Osborne wants Sajid Javid to join the Brexit campaign to boost his own leadership hopes, Eurosceptic Tory MPs believe.

The business secretary, a key ally of the chancellor, could be given “licence to dissent” during the referendum to help Mr Osborne to win back support after the vote among Tories who wanted Britain to leave the EU.

If GO goes for the top gaff reckon Sajid becomes CoE ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

As OGH has said before, Osborne really does have Miliband-itis when it comes to photos.

He looks a complete weirdo even in the relatively innocuous pic in that article
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Go swimming.

Every council has a local pool and will have two-three slots where all or part of the pool is laned off for non-pro adults to swim up and down. Pick a day, get a bus/taxi there, do five-ten lengths, get out and bus/taxi back. 30-60 mins max and cheap as chips. Repeat each week and increase by about five-ten lengths per month. Within two years you will be doing 100 lengths per week and your body will never have been better. I've seen 70yr olds with Fight Club musculatures by doing this and it's more fun than fun.
    Yeah, that was my next thought. I've no excuse, as the pool is more or less at the end of my road...

I used to go, then stopped about 10 years ago for some unknown reason. I remember going from nothing to about 30 lengths with no great difficulty.

Exercise is so bloody boring, I guess...

Could be listening to music, making money, learning something, following PB, experimenting with financial or political models, or doing all those simultaneously instead.

I've just had a 'hyper' personality all my life.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,718
    edited January 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Yup. I hope he goes for Matt Hancock.

I believe I tipped him as next Chancellor at 16/1

Hancock is Ozzy's former Chief of Staff
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    The battle to see who gets a credit on the next star wars flick.
  • Options

The Times.

Senior Tories are pushing for a change in the rules to allow three MPs to stand in the leadership contest (Sam Coates writes).

On what justification? It smacks of people as in the labour contest seeking changes or acting against the spirit of the rules by undermining th whole point of the current set up. If it is not narrowed down to two, why restrict to three and not four? Either you offer as wide a choice as possible, or you screen somehow, either with nomination limits or MP vote. The Tory screening has to be MP vote as the nomination limit is too low to do it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The Times.

On what justification? It smacks of people as in the labour contest seeking changes or acting against the spirit of the rules by undermining th whole point of the current set up. If it is not narrowed down to two, why restrict to three and not four? Either you offer as wide a choice as possible, or you screen somehow, either with nomination limits or MP vote. The Tory screening has to be MP vote as the nomination limit is too low to do it.
    They are worried that the final two will be Ozzy and Boris

two privately educated Oxford graduates who were members of the same university drinking club.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Go swimming.

Yeah, that was my next thought. I've no excuse, as the pool is more or less at the end of my road...

I used to go, then stopped about 10 years ago for some unknown reason. I remember going from nothing to about 30 lengths with no great difficulty.

Exercise is so bloody boring, I guess...

Could be listening to music, making money, learning something, following PB, experimenting with financial or political models, or doing all those simultaneously instead.

I've just had a 'hyper' personality all my life.
    I find running/swimming/rowing etc all boring and do weights instead. That is something that gives the adrenaline buzz after five minutes and gives an all body workout in under an hour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's a very interesting market. Javid looks too obvious and hence too short. I'm not playing at the moment, but I was wondering about Theresa May at 16/1? Or Gove at 33/1?
  • Options

That is high risk for the sceptics. If they lose the referendum by a whisker, their leader might then say the debate is settled as part of pact with Ozzy. Would stop them pulling an SNP.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

kle4 said:

The Times.

two privately educated Oxford graduates who were members of the same university drinking club.
    IF they are worried about such things, they are in the wrong party.

Mind you, it could be worse. They could be brothers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The Times.

Ok, that's the real reason, but I presume they have a different stated reason.

Night all
  • Options
    I read in the Telegraph that the Met Office have issued a severe weather warning because they think we are going to experience some winter weather. Nothing major you understand, just it is going to get a bit cold and there might be some snow. Normal for the time of year you might think but the Met Office disagrees this will be severe ... umm .... normal weather, the like of which we haven't seen since ... er ... a few years ago. So bad will this weather be that they recommend elderly people keep warm.

Honestly the Met Office a becoming a bit of a joke. We may have got used to their medium range forecasts being hopelessly wrong (remember the barbeque summer they prophesied just before it started raining and hardly stopped for weeks on end?) but they seem to have become almost hysterical. Not only do we get severe warnings for normal weather but they have taken to naming storms as if they were cataclysmic hurricanes rather than something that blows in off the Atlantic on a regular basis and always has.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The Times.

Night all
    That's the reason stated in the article
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The Times.

Night all
    That's the reason stated in the article
    We'll blow me down, they're being honest. Fair play to them for that, I'd expect a pre tense at 'wider public offer, diversity of candidates' in a general sense to cover the Boris and Osborne fear.
  • Options

We haven't evolved to take aspirin every day, so I can't see how it could be a necessary

evolution fallacy klaxon...

we haven't evolved "to" do any of the things we do in a modern lifestyle (nor in an ancient lifestyle, before you start)

living healthily to old age can only peripherally affect evolutionary processes anyway — if you survive long enough to procreate that's good enough. (That's why the neds will eventually take over :) )

Anyway, how do you know modern man didn't evolve chewing willow bark every day?
  • Options

kle4 said:

The Times.

I'd be worried if the two put forward to be the next PM were Osborne and Johnson. Neither of the are fit to hold the office.
  • Options

That is high risk for the sceptics. If they lose the referendum by a whisker, their leader might then say the debate is settled as part of pact with Ozzy. Would stop them pulling an SNP.
    Didn't Reek sign Jeremy Corbyn's nomination papers because he wanted to curry favour with the left after Reek's inevitable no-doubt-about-it victory?

There's an obvious problem here: what if Leave wins? Osborne may end up kissing Javid's ring instead of vice-versa
  • Options

We haven't evolved to take aspirin every day, so I can't see how it could be a necessary

evolution fallacy klaxon...

we haven't evolved "to" do any of the things we do in a modern lifestyle (nor in an ancient lifestyle, before you start)

living healthily to old age can only peripherally affect evolutionary processes anyway — if you survive long enough to procreate that's good enough. (That's why the neds will eventually take over :) )

He could well have done, but if he had, it would have been the whole willow bark with its full complement of biochemical components necessary for healthy assimilation, not the refined product we have today. The same is true of sugar vs. whole fruit. Or vitamin fortification vs. naturally occurring.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

I find running/swimming/rowing etc all boring and do weights instead. That is something that gives the adrenaline buzz after five minutes and gives an all body workout in under an hour.

Some people get the buzz from competing against their own times, achieving monthly, yearly, lifetime bests, etc. Park running had become a big deal in Beeston when I was there, though not my scene. Here in London I trot up the stairs in deep Tube stations, walk a couple of bus stops, etc. - usually you aren't really losing time that way.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Peter Kellner predicts Corbyn will be Labour leader at the next general election:

"Peter Kellner — How Labour could get rid of Corbyn
    It could be very messy

Listen: Prospect’s Deputy Editor Jay Elwes talk to Peter about how Labour could go about deposing its leader"

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/blogs/peter-kellner/labour-could-get-rid-of-corbyn
  • Options
    Peter Kellner:

(a) Corbyn will almost certainly be leader in 2020.
    (b) If so, Labour will be thrashed. No more than 200 seats, possibly a lot less.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited January 2016

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Any sawbones in the house?

Been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and my personal pillpusher is talking about putting me on either ACE or ARB inhibitors...

Is there much difference? Side-effects? Once you're on them can you get off them?

Both good drugs - depend on a well-functioning kidney system, so that will mean regular blood tests. ACEs can cause a chronic dry cough; so can ARBs but far less frequently.

The younger you are, the longer you've got for moderately raised blood pressure to cause damage, so it's well worth treating properly. Most of the damage is done completely silently.

If you smoke, stop. If you drink more than me, slow down.
    Gave up fags 9 months ago. Kidneys and everything else perfect. Cholesterol 6 (IIRC).
    Blood pressure off the scale allegedly, told today I was "a heart attack waiting to happen."

He measured me again in the surgery, and diastolic was 96, way down on the numbers churned out by the blood pressure monitor I carried around with me last week.

Not one heart attack in the entire family history going back to the year dot. The closest was a (fatal) ruptured aorta of a great-grandmother aged 69 in 1937...
    Stopping smoking may be the problem. Bowie gave up in 2003 and was soon thereafter afflicted by a series of heart attacks.
    Well, thanks a bunch...
    Also see ulcerated colitis, which is very nasty and seems particularly to hit people who have given up the fags.
    Cancer aside, smoking increases the risk of Crohn's disease which is not a great alternative to ulcerative colitis either.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

When I was working with UNSCOM, visiting Iraq for inspections, petrol was considerably cheaper than water. By something like a factor of five.
  • Options

MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

1. eat breakfast

Great activity advice, but imo calorie counting is (rightfully) going the way of the ark - all energy giving foods are not created equal, and you cannot starve your way to health.
    Lucky - I absolutely agree, not all calories are created equal in terms of the impact they have on your metabolism, your body, and your feelings of satiety. Things like glycemic index are more important than calorie count. Natural fats are good in my book as they are slow burn and sating for longer.

That said, though, I am a firm believer that so long as you run a slight calorie deficit and get the nutrients you need, what you eat is pretty much beside the point.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    edited January 2016

Some people get the buzz from competing against their own times, achieving monthly, yearly, lifetime bests, etc. Park running had become a big deal in Beeston when I was there, though not my scene. Here in London I trot up the stairs in deep Tube stations, walk a couple of bus stops, etc. - usually you aren't really losing time that way.
    I think the stairs in Covent Garden Tube Station are haunted by the actor William Terriss who was murdered at the nearby Adelphi Theatre, apparently reports of a ghostly apparition tapping people on the shoulder, they turn around and no-one is there.
  • Options

I read in the Telegraph that the Met Office have issued a severe weather warning because they think we are going to experience some winter weather. Nothing major you understand, just it is going to get a bit cold and there might be some snow. Normal for the time of year you might think but the Met Office disagrees this will be severe ... umm .... normal weather, the like of which we haven't seen since ... er ... a few years ago. So bad will this weather be that they recommend elderly people keep warm.

Honestly the Met Office a becoming a bit of a joke. We may have got used to their medium range forecasts being hopelessly wrong (remember the barbeque summer they prophesied just before it started raining and hardly stopped for weeks on end?) but they seem to have become almost hysterical. Not only do we get severe warnings for normal weather but they have taken to naming storms as if they were cataclysmic hurricanes rather than something that blows in off the Atlantic on a regular basis and always has.

Sounds like you are describing the weather reports on US TV. The Blizzard of 96, snowpocalypse, ice-ageddon.
  • Options
    Is it possible to walk down steps at Angel station?
  • Options
    This is a bit odd — the main opposition party in Slovakia is on less than 10% in the opinion polls. An election takes place on 5th March:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_parliamentary_election,_2016
  • Options

He could well have done, but if he had, it would have been the whole willow bark with its full complement of biochemical components necessary for healthy assimilation, not the refined product we have today. The same is true of sugar vs. whole fruit. Or vitamin fortification vs. naturally occurring.

A fair point. But the real fallacy is to think that prehistoric or premodern man had evolved to an optimum state. Evolved to a stable condition for the contemporary environment might be more realistic.

We didn't evolve to take antibiotics either, but that doesn't mean that "natural" cures for TB are better

(having said that, I am sceptical about taking aspirin every day. even more so re statins)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

"Chris Grayling calls EU 'disastrous' for Britain in clearest signal yet he plans to back Leave

Writing for the Daily Telegraph, the Leader of the House of Commons says he backs David Cameron's plan to renegotiate Britain's membership"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12098372/Chris-Grayling-calls-EU-disastrous-for-Britain-in-clearest-signal-yet-he-plans-to-back-Leave.html

Poor Chris Grayling. The biggest day of his career -- front page lead in the Telegraph -- and the headline does not even use his name. Cabinet Minister: EU disaster for Britain -- because no-one has a clue who Chris Grayling is.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is it possible to walk down steps at Angel station?

Longest escalator on the Tube network.
This discussion has been closed.