Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If not Boris then WHO is going to lead of the out campaign?

Comments

• Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    edited January 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Any sawbones in the house?

Been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and my personal pillpusher is talking about putting me on either ACE or ARB inhibitors...

Is there much difference? Side-effects? Once you're on them can you get off them?

Both good drugs - depend on a well-functioning kidney system, so that will mean regular blood tests. ACEs can cause a chronic dry cough; so can ARBs but far less frequently.

The younger you are, the longer you've got for moderately raised blood pressure to cause damage (and it definitely does), so it's well worth treating properly. Most of the damage is done completely silently.

If you smoke, stop. If you drink more than me, slow down.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    edited January 2016

CHRIS Grayling has become the first serving Cabinet minister to publicly signal he will vote to leave the EU.

Making his intentions for the In/Out referendum clear, the Leader of the House of Commons reveals he holds “strong Eurosceptic views”, and they are now well known to No10.

The 53-year-old senior Tory has also issued a withering critique of Europe today as failing, in an article for the Daily Telegraph.

The move was approved by David Cameron in his first display of tolerance for opposing views on EU membership from his top team.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6859468/Chris-Grayling-is-the-first-Tory-Cabinet-minister-to-announce-support-for-EU-exit.html

Any way Eagles, watching House of Cards as you havent posted a decent thread so far this year.
    I was quite pleased with my Khan thread the other day.

But I shall try and come up with a thread that pleases you for Sunday.
    Are you really going to upset our Nats that much ?
    Well a few days ago I told Mr Meeks the outline and the historical comparison I was thinking of using for the Nats. He told me to do it.

I compare the Nats to secessionist states of the Confederacy.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773

RodCrosby said:

Been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and my personal pillpusher is talking about putting me on either ACE or ARB inhibitors...

Is there much difference? Side-effects? Once you're on them can you get off them?

Both good drugs - depend on a well-functioning kidney system, so that will mean regular blood tests. ACEs can cause a chronic dry cough; so can ARBs but far less frequently.

The younger you are, the longer you've got for moderately raised blood pressure to cause damage, so it's well worth treating properly. Most of the damage is done completely silently.

Oh FFS what for ?

So you can spend 10 more years sat in your own piss not recognising yoir family ? Get slammed , enjoy and shoot a doctor before you go,
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2016
    Good for Grayling but are we on the eve of a mighty recession?

Dow NY closes down 364 points tonight and approaches 15,000, having dropped nearly 1,500 points since January 4th 2016
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    rcs1000 said:

Full credit to Leicester City: a victory at White Hart Lane suggests that foxinsox's confidence is perhaps warranted.

With being a Liverpool fan being increasingly stressful, I figure I can adopt Leicester as a second team - I was educated there, so I figure that's ok as far as strict football loyalty goes (which is generally restricted to a, where you grew up, or b, who you picked as a child)
  • Options

CHRIS Grayling has become the first serving Cabinet minister to publicly signal he will vote to leave the EU.

Making his intentions for the In/Out referendum clear, the Leader of the House of Commons reveals he holds “strong Eurosceptic views”, and they are now well known to No10.

The 53-year-old senior Tory has also issued a withering critique of Europe today as failing, in an article for the Daily Telegraph.

The move was approved by David Cameron in his first display of tolerance for opposing views on EU membership from his top team.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6859468/Chris-Grayling-is-the-first-Tory-Cabinet-minister-to-announce-support-for-EU-exit.html

Any way Eagles, watching House of Cards as you havent posted a decent thread so far this year.

Well a few days ago I told Mr Meeks the outline and the historical comparison I was thinking of using for the Nats. He told me to do it.

Ah yes, Birth of A Nation
  • Options
    Surely the big story on the Telegraph front page is not the one about Chris Grayling, but the one below that?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,271
    MikeK said:

Dow NY closes down 364 points tonight and approaches 15,000, having dropped nearly 1,500 points since January 4th 2016

The employment data out of the US was excellent today.

That being said, the PMI data last week was terrible.

So who knows?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

The younger you are, the longer you've got for moderately raised blood pressure to cause damage, so it's well worth treating properly. Most of the damage is done completely silently.

Oh FFS what for ?

So you can spend 10 more years sat in your own piss not recognising yoir family ? Get slammed , enjoy and shoot a doctor before you go,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with the group
  • Options

Cheers, I'll use that for the headline.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    MikeK said:

It's still over 16,000 - 16,151 to be precise.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

No probs. I have lots of elderly relatives.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

ACE inhibitors can have some nasty side effects, but can also be very effective. Don't know about the the ARB stuff. There again all medicines can have side effects, take enough people and you will find someone who is allergic to something. Once you are on tablets for hypertension you are basically on them for life. Lifestyle and dietary changes can help, as no doubt your quack has told you, but I have never met anyone who once started on them has ever been able to get off them.
    Correct Mr L

Just fucking stay off the meds, change your lifestyle, tabs once started are shit and inevitably lead to more tabs to stop the side effects of the tabs.
    I have been on hypertension medication for 7 years and while it took a while to get the right balance my blood pressure has maintained a safe level and I do not have side effects. My best friend of 50 years refused the medication and within a couple of years had a serious stroke that resulted in him needing a wheelchair and subsequently he died. It is not worth running the gauntlet on your health
  • Options
    MikeK said:

The Dow closed at 16,151.41, down 2.2%. Not great, but not Armageddon.
  • Options

Cheers, I'll use that for the headline.
    Tell divvie he;s a Cameron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Scott_P said:

@MilkyJoe1975: Excuse me @bbcquestiontime how in any way can this be described as a balanced panel? https://t.co/j4lfcfLKCC

@Maomentum_: I urge all sides of the party to now unite and fight the real enemy: Question Time

My gods, some on the left now not happy with QT panel selection? I don't know if I can stand this topsy turvy world, the continual complaint of right wingers about the panel makeup soothes me to sleep many a night.
  • Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    edited January 2016

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

No probs. I have lots of elderly relatives.
    :smile:
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    edited January 2016
    Please can it be Grayling. An incompetent in charge will ensure that LEAVE are smashed. Still not going to stop the Tories starting "banging on" again by the Friday afternoon.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RodCrosby said:

The younger you are, the longer you've got for moderately raised blood pressure to cause damage (and it definitely does), so it's well worth treating properly. Most of the damage is done completely silently.

All meds have side effects. ACE inhibitors are particularly good if renal damage or diabetes. They seem to have protective effects against complications over and above the effect on BP. ARB inhibitors do have concerns about increased cardiac risk.

But its horses for courses and varies with other aspects of risk factor management (weight loss, low salt diet, more exercise, stop smoking, less alcohol - the usual suspects!).
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

ACE inhibitors can have some nasty side effects, but can also be very effective. Don't know about the the ARB stuff. There again all medicines can have side effects, take enough people and you will find someone who is allergic to something. Once you are on tablets for hypertension you are basically on them for life. Lifestyle and dietary changes can help, as no doubt your quack has told you, but I have never met anyone who once started on them has ever been able to get off them.
    Correct Mr L

Just fucking stay off the meds, change your lifestyle, tabs once started are shit and inevitably lead to more tabs to stop the side effects of the tabs.
    I have been on hypertension medication for 7 years and while it took a while to get the right balance my blood pressure has maintained a safe level and I do not have side effects. My best friend of 50 years refused the medication and within a couple of years had a serious stroke that resulted in him needing a wheelchair and subsequently he died. It is not worth running the gauntlet on your health
    My father was the total opposite

the more tabs they gave him the more they needed to prescibe
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

I take so many meds these days, I rattle
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeK said:

It's still over 16,000 - 16,151 to be precise.
    My bad, I meant 16,000 not 15K
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

Gave up fags 9 months ago. Kidneys and everything else perfect. Cholesterol 6 (IIRC).
    Blood pressure off the scale allegedly, told today I was "a heart attack waiting to happen."

He measured me again in the surgery, and diastolic was 96, way down on the numbers churned out by the blood pressure monitor I carried around with me last week.

Not one heart attack in the entire family history going back to the year dot. The closest was a (fatal) ruptured aorta of a great-grandmother aged 69 in 1937...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

I take so many meds these days, I rattle
    You have nothing a Barry White LP can;t cure.
  • Options

MikeK said:

The Dow closed at 16,151.41, down 2.2%. Not great, but not Armageddon.
    I'm talking of the drop since Jan 4th, where it has dropped nearly 10%
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Gave up fags 9 months ago. Kidneys and everything else perfect. Cholesterol 6 (IIRC).
    Blood pressure off the scale allegedly, told today I was "a heart attack waiting to happen."

He measured me again in the surgery, and diastolic was 96, way down on the numbers churned out by the blood pressure monitor I carried around with me last week.

Not one heart attack in the entire family history going back to the year dot. The closest was a (fatal) ruptured aorta of a great-grandmother aged 69 in 1937...
    Drink lots and try anal fisting
  • Options
    The Times have an article which says petrol may soon be cheaper than water

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYoiY43WwAAfKEk.jpg
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

You do need to maintain a sensible lifestye but I have it checked every six months and I have not needed to increase the dose for years. The experience of my best friend's lost years of his life seemed so pointless and caused premature heartache to his family as his stroke was directly attributed to high blood pressure, indeed one of the highest seen at the A & E he was rushed to.
  • Options

But is blood thicker than petroleum ?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

You do need to maintain a sensible lifestye but I have it checked every six months and I have not needed to increase the dose for years. The experience of my best friend's lost years of his life seemed so pointless and caused premature heartache to his family as his stroke was directly attributed to high blood pressure, indeed one of the highest seen at the A & E he was rushed to.
    I'm afraid I have an almost medieval view of doctors, they kill you if you go to see them.

Even my doctor friend says I have a point.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

96? And that was down from the 24 hour monitor? Take the tablets, Mr. Crosby and be damned to the possibility of side effects - worry about those if they happen. I guess you are a lot younger than me and my quack gets excited if my diastolic goes above 80.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    HYUFD said:
    Hard to see past the Donald right now tbh.

But keep Cruz onside, cos Iowa.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    edited January 2016
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Stop saying things like that.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Interestingly ARB's may have specific effect on reducing the risk of Alzheimers. A circa 30% risk reduction in this study for example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2806632/

• Options

Talk is of $10 per barrel oil.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Interestingly ARB's may have specific effect on reducing the risk of Alzheimers. A circa 30% risk reduction in this study for example:

Oooh spoken like a doctor.

Really lots of things are both good and bad for you at the same time, it's pick what you want to die from.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Stop saying things like that.
    I'd like to meet your friend some day :)
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Stopping smoking may be the problem. Bowie gave up in 2003 and was soon thereafter afflicted by a series of heart attacks.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

96? And that was down from the 24 hour monitor? Take the tablets, Mr. Crosby and be damned to the possibility of side effects - worry about those if they happen. I guess you are a lot younger than me and my quack gets excited if my diastolic goes above 80.
    The machine was churning out numbers like 125.

I kid you not.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

I'm afraid I have an almost medieval view of doctors, they kill you if you go to see them.

There are some docs with a pill for every ill, but a large number of us are theraputic nihilists. None of it does any good...

Discuss the risks with your GP. There are several good alogarithims that calculate the risk of a cardiovascular event over a decade. Then make up your own mind and make your stakes.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Really lots of things are both good and bad for you at the same time, it's pick what you want to die from.
    Talking of things medical, has anyone heard from JackW lately? I miss the the old sod.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Gravis Marketing Iowa tonight

GOP
    Trump 34%
    Cruz 28%
    Carson 9%
    Rubio 5%
    Christie 5%
    Kasich 4%
    Bush 4%
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Stopping smoking may be the problem. Bowie gave up in 2003 and was soon thereafter afflicted by a series of heart attacks.
    Well, thanks a bunch...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Talking of things medical, has anyone heard from JackW lately? I miss the the old sod.
    He said he was taking a couple of months break. I imagine that he is tanning his ARSE somewhere in preparation for the spring elections.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

That's the point isn't it. If you dodge going ga-ga you'll still die from something, probably either the big C or your heart. The trick is to go when you are ready, having had a damn good time, and without putting your nearest and dearest through too much grief. Hanging on for the sake of it is just selfish and shocking bad form.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

GOP
    Trump 34%
    Cruz 28%
    Carson 9%
    Rubio 5%
    Christie 5%
    Kasich 4%
    Bush 4%
    Hoo boy
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Guilty as charged!

My dad is on ARB's, he had an annoying cough on ACE inhibitors. Apart from voting kipper he seems quite intact cognitively.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

GOP
    Trump 34%
    Cruz 28%
    Carson 9%
    Rubio 5%
    Christie 5%
    Kasich 4%
    Bush 4%
    Cruz needs to employ some ex-LibDem strategists to draw up some bar charts. 'Only this numpty can beat the bigger numpty here'.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Also see ulcerated colitis, which is very nasty and seems particularly to hit people who have given up the fags.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Both classes of drug are highly effective. The commonest adverse drug reaction (ADR) with ACE inhibitors is cough - sometimes severe enough to make patients stop. Allergic reactions are rare but more common if you're black. 8.1% of patients (in a study of 2586 hypertensives) stopped taking them because of an ADR.

ARBs most common ADRs are headache, dizziness, weakness and fatigue.

The commonest ACE inhibitors are ramipril and enalapril, and the most popular ARBs are candesartan and irbesartan and you can look up their reported ADRs here http://www.mhra.gov.uk/drug-analysis-prints/drug-analysis-prints-a-z/index.htm or if you wish to search all the European data here http://www.adrreports.eu/en/disclaimer.html

The EMA's data is far more user-friendly than the MHRA's (although that's about to change). It's important to note that just because an ADR has been linked with a drug it's not a statement about causality and that some reactions are very rare and may happen spontaneously.

Neither class of drug is addictive, but they're not cures so if you stop the blood pressure will rise again.

• Options

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

I have been on hypIt is not worth running the gauntlet on your health

You d indeed one of the highest seen at the A & E he was rushed to.

There are some docs with a pill for every ill, but a large number of us are theraputic nihilists. None of it does any good...

Discuss the risks with your GP. There are several good alogarithims that calculate the risk of a cardiovascular event over a decade. Then make up your own mind and make your stakes.
    LOL

my doctors about the last person I would discuss a risk with, it's just good guess work and frankly quacks have no more idea than I have using wikipedia.

Like all doctors you cant figure out why you want me to live ten years longer sat in incontinence pants saying wibble.

Spend some more timr in geriatrics
  • Options
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/donald-trump-supporters-iowa-caucus-217727
    Looks like supporters will mass for the Donald in Iowa.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Guilty as charged!

My dad is on ARB's, he had an annoying cough on ACE inhibitors. Apart from voting kipper he seems quite intact cognitively.
    This is spooky, I have this vision of Hurst Llama saying DocFox I am your father :-)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    "Remain" need to get Alan Johnson on TV much more. So much more persuasive than some upper-class prat from the CBI boring on about how his profit margins will be dented if the plebs dare to vote Out.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

Keep off processed food; salt, sugar, bad fat and empty calories. Eat real grub. Drink water and dare I say it, eat as much fruit and veg as possible. Low cholesterol and lovely arteries. Oh, and gentle exercise.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

GOP
    Trump 34%
    Cruz 28%
    Carson 9%
    Rubio 5%
    Christie 5%
    Kasich 4%
    Bush 4%
    Hoo boy
    Yes, the Trump Express is running away with it it seems, but still a few weeks yet
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Sorry to be a bore to those who don't care too much: Can you name top 20 Bowie singles? I want to buy them but I can't decide which to keep out of top 20.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

That's the point isn't it. If you dodge going ga-ga you'll still die from something, probably either the big C or your heart. The trick is to go when you are ready, having had a damn good time, and without putting your nearest and dearest through too much grief. Hanging on for the sake of it is just selfish and shocking bad form.
    Spot on Mr L and dare I say why religious people are more able to get on with it
  • Options
    Leicester on 43 points - ought to be enough to avoid relegation. They can start playing for fun now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

GOP
    Trump 34%
    Cruz 28%
    Carson 9%
    Rubio 5%
    Christie 5%
    Kasich 4%
    Bush 4%
    Cruz needs to employ some ex-LibDem strategists to draw up some bar charts. 'Only this numpty can beat the bigger numpty here'.
    Yes may help him with evangelicals but the establishment hate him almost as much as Trump
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

LOL

my doctors about the last person I would discuss a risk with, it's just good guess work and frankly quacks have no more idea than I have using wikipedia.

Like all doctors you cant figure out why you want me to live ten years longer sat in incontinence pants saying wibble.

There is nothing wrong with being old if fit in mind and body. Being ill is miserable at any age and quality of life is everything.

The risk of disability concerns me more than mortality. I have no fear of meeting my maker. I may be going up, or I may be going down, but I know that I will be judged fairly.

Having cerebro- or cardio-vascular disability doesn't appeal to me much though.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Also see ulcerated colitis, which is very nasty and seems particularly to hit people who have given up the fags.
    My mum got that, after my sister and I were born (having given up cigs shortly before). She then developed asthma, and died of an attack, aged 54.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Sorry to be a bore to those who don't care too much: Can you name top 20 Bowie singles? I want to buy them but I can't decide which to keep out of top 20.

As long as you include The Laughing Gnome. Bizarrely, that song came into my head in the shower on the morning Bowie's death was announced. I haven't heard it or thought of it in years. Spooky.
  • Options

And if you're choosing a doctor, this is the sort you want ;)

Avoid those who want to give you the latest new wonder drug at the drop of a hat like the plague.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Leicester on 43 points - ought to be enough to avoid relegation. They can start playing for fun now.

I think that we will beat Spurs again next Wednesday in the FA cup replay, with an away trip to relegation fodder Colchester as prize.

We are quite good odds to win the Cup, but I think Claudio fancies the Champions League.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

RodCrosby said:

Correct Mr L

LOL

There is nothing wrong with being old if fairly.

Fraid so.

Ive had lots of my parents generation who have gone downhill and spent years in homes, but the absolute worst was a friend whose body failed and she was mentally sharp as a needle but in a home where everyone was a bit gaga - it was modern bedlam. She wanted to go but her body wouldnt let her. Gut wrenching.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    US President Obama at his first and last "state of the union" addresses, looking like his own ghost.
    http://i.imgur.com/zTdCov5.png
    (hat-tip reddit)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Has your doctor made a stab at what's causing your high blood pressure?
  • Options
    Anyways good night all

Have to work tomorrow - manufacturing recessions dont just make themselves.

hattip George Osborne

Ciao
  • Options
    MikeK said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/donald-trump-supporters-iowa-caucus-217727
    Looks like supporters will mass for the Donald in Iowa.

Yep, if Trump wins Iowa and New Hampshire he would be the first non-incumbent President to win both those 2 states in the modern Republican primaries, it would be not just a defeat but a humiliation for the GOP establishment
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    We strive far too hard to keep people alive these days. We give patients anticholinesterases to stop them going ga ga at a slightly slower rate than they would otherwise do and keep shovelling antihypertensives, calcium channel blockers, aspirins, and the like down them to ensure that when they are ga ga they've got a goodly number of years to endure it. Utter madness.
  • Options

There is nothing wrong with being old if fit in mind and body. Being ill is miserable at any age and quality of life is everything.

The risk of disability concerns me more than mortality. I have no fear of meeting my maker. I may be going up, or I may be going down, but I know that I will be judged fairly.

Quality of life is indeed everything. When our pets lose what we judge to be an acceptable quality of life we take them to the vets for the last injection, a merciful end for a good friend. Yet we cannot do that for each other, even if the other person is in awful uncontrollable pain unless pumped full of opiates or has no metal facilities left.

Somewhere our ethics have become skewed.
  • Options

I think that we will beat Spurs again next Wednesday in the FA cup replay, with an away trip to relegation fodder Colchester as prize.

We are quite good odds to win the Cup, but I think Claudio fancies the Champions League.
    My gloom deepens further... just seen this on BBC report

Claudio Ranieri has never lost a Premier League match as a manager against Tottenham (W7 D3)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What did ARSE stand for?

MikeK said:

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

He said he was taking a couple of months break. I imagine that he is tanning his ARSE somewhere in preparation for the spring elections.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Has JackW produced his first EurArse projections for the referendum yet?
  • Options
    "Migrants must learn to live by our values — David Aaronovitch

Liberal denial of the misogynistic cultures that many migrants come from will only make their assimilation harder"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4664705.ece
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What did ARSE stand for?

MikeK said:

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Anonymised Random Selection of Electors wasn't it?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Has JackW produced his first EurArse projections for the referendum yet?

Jack's fine, he occasionally takes a break from PB.

IIRC Jack's prediction was the UK will never leave the EU whilst David Cameron is PM and supports Remain
  • Options

However, from what I know of Boris, my money is that I'm closer to the mark.

Fair enough but I never expected Boris to be Out. I mean he has for many years been one of the most vocal supporters of immigration into the UK in the whole Party.
    Louise Mensch always said he was a europhile.
    It's what I'd expect.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Sounds like a street cure for high blood pressure. (I'll get my coat.)
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Well, we both have.

Overweight, a little, 13st, 5'10", sedentary (too much time on PB!), lack of exercise (I tend to shun it as undignified), drink a bottle of wine a night, been very stressed for 6 months over a property issue (NPower took 3 months to install an electric meter...), now all resolved with new tenant paying rent, etc.
    Diet. Eat very little, except on a Sunday. Coffee and tea mostly. Never eat fry-ups or red-meat, butter, etc. Never do breakfast.
    Been taking daily aspirin for about 15 years.
  • Options
    Sounds about right.

AndyJS said:

What did ARSE stand for?

MikeK said:

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

• Options
    AndyJS said:

What did ARSE stand for?

MikeK said:

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Anonymised
    Random
    Sample of
    Electors

As I recall.

I did quite well out of backing the ARSE and MacARSE over the last couple of years. I am looking forward to his Euro-ARSE.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

What did ARSE stand for?

MikeK said:

RodCrosby said:

Oh FFS what for ?

Assorted Random Selection of Electors :p
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

We strive far too hard to keep people alive these days. We give patients anticholinesterases to stop them going ga ga at a slightly slower rate than they would otherwise do and keep shovelling antihypertensives, calcium channel blockers, aspirins, and the like down them to ensure that when they are ga ga they've got a goodly number of years to endure it. Utter madness.

It is not only madness, it is cruel. If a person treated an animal the way we treat some elderly people they would find themselves in court quicker than you can say "RSPCA". Withholding water and nourishment is also cruel but legal though giving a little too much diamorphine is quick and painless but illegal.
  • Options
    Further details from Yougov
    "'Fav/Unfav
    Trump: 70/27
    Rubio: 64/29
    Cruz: 73/22

3-person matchup:
    Trump: 45%
    Cruz: 30%
    Rubio: 21%

Top three words describing Trump: Bold, Washington outsider, Strong
    Top three words describing Cruz: True conservative, Strong, Honest
    Top three words describing Rubio: Typical politician, Honest, Establishment candidate
    63% agree with the statement: “Donald Trump will restore America’s standing in the world”
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/21rbp7yunv/tabs_REP_PRIMARY_20160112.pdf
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Well, we both have.

Overweight, a little, 13st, 5'10", sedentary (too much time on PB!), lack of exercise (I tend to shun it as undignified), drink a bottle of wine a night, been very stressed for 6 months over a property issue (NPower took 3 months to install an electric meter...), now all resolved with new tenant paying rent, etc.
    Diet. Eat very little, except on a Sunday. Coffee and tea mostly. Never eat fry-ups or red-meat, butter, etc. Never do breakfast.
    Why not get a dog? 2 walks a day would bring a big change as you are only slightly overweight.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited January 2016
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Well, we both have.

Should you be surprised ?

Not eating breakfast is not a good idea !
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    A bottle of wine a night? That's the problem I think.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

ACE inhibitors can have some nasty side effects, but can also be very effective. Don't know about the the ARB stuff. There again all medicines can have side effects, take enough people and you will ....
    Correct Mr L

LOL

There is nothing wrong with being old if fairly.

Fraid so.

Ive had lots of my parents generation who have gone downhill and spent years in homes, but the absolute worst was a friend whose body failed and she was mentally sharp as a needle but in a home where everyone was a bit gaga - it was modern bedlam. She wanted to go but her body wouldnt let her. Gut wrenching.
    Things will probably be radically different in about 20 years once technology really takes over. Challenge is getting there in reasonable shape!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MikeK said:

Talk is of $10 per barrel oil.
    All this time we were told low oil price was good for the economy; now we are told it is bad...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Since you've posted this (and kudos for being so frank):

- 13st is too much
    - Sedentary is bad. I tend to agree about exercise being undignified, but you don't have to pump iron in some hideous gym. Walking is good and fun. If in doubt, run up the stairs.
    - I'm not exactly abstemious myself, but a bottle of wine a night is too much. Ease back to a half bot or so, of better stuff to compensate (it will help a lot with the weight).
    - Why get stressed over an electricity meter? Chillax. The world won't come to an end.
  • Options
    WTF Here is something I cooked up earlier.....

Stephen Bush
    @stephenkb
    Emily Thornberry likely to produce a document outlining defence policy in "the next couple of days" AIUI. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/687407837115486209
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,188

...and then he died of smoking-related pancratic and liver cancer.

Whether it's primaries in the liver and secondaries in the pancreas or vice versa doesn't matter, they're so close together one begets the other quickly. Cancer is dealt with in three ways: chemo, radiotherapy, or surgery. One poisons you, one burns you, one cuts you, and all hope that the treatment kills the cancer faster than either kills you. Problem is, for liver cancer surgery doesn't work: unlike breast or lymph or leg or lung you can't remove it, you can't operate because of the tangled blood vessels, and you can't transplant because cancer patients never ever get transplants.

So you sit there while the cancer kills you, and you read up on alternate therapies and tell your friends you're not giving up and you have a positive attitude and will beat this thing, and the tumor ignores you and just keeps growing and getting more painful. The doctor comes round whilst your relatives try to get the bed downstairs and tells you things you don't want to hear about morphine patches and lollipops.

And there comes a day when you fall down and can't get up, and your relatives try to get you into bed, and somebody somewhere is away and can't get back in time, and the Macmillan Nurses pop round and mouth platitudes, and the doctor pops round and injects bigger and bigger doses of anaesthetic for reasons and...other reasons, and the tumour runs over you like a truck and you die.

Be glad you gave up the fags, RodCrosby. You dodged a bullet.

• Options

RodCrosby said:

- 13st is too much
    - Sedentary is bad. I tend to agree about exercise being undignified, but you don't have to pump iron in some hideous gym. Walking is good and fun. If in doubt, run up the stairs.
    - I'm not exactly abstemious myself, but a bottle of wine a night is too much. Ease back to a half bot or so, of better stuff to compensate (it will help a lot with the weight).
    - Why get stressed over an electricity meter? Chillax. The world won't come to an end.
    And the blood pressure too
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, thanks a bunch...
    Well, we both have.

Why not get a dog? 2 walks a day would bring a big change as you are only slightly overweight.
    Hate dogs, and live in a 2nd floor flat.

I occasionally go for a 20 minute walk along our fantastic beach/promenade. Did that twice today, while contemplating my mortality, per the death sentence issued by the follower of Hippocrates.

Always been a fast walker, passing everyone else by, as I complete the pointless exercise with ease...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

- 13st is too much
    You don't just have to pump iron in gyms, at my gym they have a treadmill with a screen with walks with scenes of mountains in New Zealand, cities in Germany and the Grand Canyon and there are rowing machines, bikes etc (Nothing to stop you cycling in the great outdoors either!)
This discussion has been closed.