Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guido’s could be right: George Osborne is a Tory version of

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Brexit is far from certain. I maintain Remain is likely to win, and win comfortably.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain And Northern Ireland Will Never Leave The European Union Whilst David Cameron Is Prime Minister.

TUKOGBANIWNLTEUWDCISPM

You've got an extra S in there ;)
    Why have you put "an extra S" in my abbreviation ? .... :smile:

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Oh good, an Osborne is crap thread! I don't think he would be a good PM at all. He would be Brown all over again. Hopefully someone like Priti Patel can barge in on the leadership election. She is a bit unsteady at times, but with some decent coaching she could be a really good leader/PM.

If you need coaching on leadership by middle age you're not PM material.

Margaret Thatcher needed it, I hardly think she wasn't PM material given that she was our greatest peace time PM.
    Coaching was on presentation and I agree with you that Pritti would benefit from it and ending the robotic repitition of the Govt line to take.

Though I maintain that there is no way anyone senisble can support the death penalty
    Should the state never kill in cold blood then? Are there in your view no occasions when people should be be killed by the state?
    Only if there is no alternative.

The police at home or military abroad can and should be able to kill if the alternative to doing so is perceived to be a risk to life. If someone is incarcerated then that is an alternative to killing.
    What if they kill while incarcerated?
    I believe when we first outlawed the death penalty that was an exception. That is the one exception I'm quite ok with. However it is not a substantial issue as far as I'm aware. How many prison guards are killed by prisoners? Would that outnumber the number of potentially innocent men killed due to a miscarriage of justice that can't be reversed?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Matt Singh
    YouGov/ITV/Cardiff Uni (Wales #EUref):

REMAIN 40 (-2)
    LEAVE 42 (+4)

30th Nov-4th Dec
    N=1,005
    Writeup @roger_scully https://t.co/Ym3MHeOIcu

Yet another reason why the vote wont be held in 2016.
    That's alright. For every year that passes, the continent goes further down the drain.

Can you imagine what Germany will be like come 2017? Or Greece? Or (sadly) France?

Come an Autumn 2017 referendum and Leave should be comfortably ahead.

Brexit ahoy.
    Just a thought, albeit one that might be far fetched; the direction of travel is clearly with OUT, I see no reason why that shouldn't continue. Rather than face the ignominy of campaigning to remain, is the PM considering recommending OUT?

What was unthinkable a while back may become reality.
    While that may the case, I think it unlikely that Cameron will recommend an out vote, Having seen the way the referendum has changed politics in Scotland (or the way the first independence referendum change Quebec) it is slightly more likely that he will remain neutral, so that he will be a person that the contrary, the party and the cabin at, can rally round after it is all over.

Looking at referendums in general, (including the AV referendum) the 'normal' direction to travel is for public opinion to move towards 'no change' Whenever a vote is taken to change something the campaign to stay the same will always use fear. As in if we change this 'terrible thing' will happen, there may be no basis in this argument and logic may be indicating that the change will be beneficial. but when it comes down to it fear is a more powerful motivating force than logic.

That sead I will be voting, and otherwise supporting out. I'm just not getting my hopes up to much.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Oh good, an Osborne is crap thread! I don't think he would be a good PM at all. He would be Brown all over again. Hopefully someone like Priti Patel can barge in on the leadership election. She is a bit unsteady at times, but with some decent coaching she could be a really good leader/PM.

If you need coaching on leadership by middle age you're not PM material.

Margaret Thatcher needed it, I hardly think she wasn't PM material given that she was our greatest peace time PM.
    Coaching was on presentation and I agree with you that Pritti would benefit from it and ending the robotic repitition of the Govt line to take.

Though I maintain that there is no way anyone senisble can support the death penalty
    Should the state never kill in cold blood then? Are there in your view no occasions when people should be be killed by the state?
    Only if there is no alternative.

The police at home or military abroad can and should be able to kill if the alternative to doing so is perceived to be a risk to life. If someone is incarcerated then that is an alternative to killing.
    What if they kill while incarcerated?
    I believe when we first outlawed the death penalty that was an exception. That is the one exception I'm quite ok with. However it is not a substantial issue as far as I'm aware. How many prison guards are killed by prisoners? Would that outnumber the number of potentially innocent men killed due to a miscarriage of justice that can't be reversed?
    Discussing the death penalty is futile, nobody changes their mind. I can think of a few people in recent years where society would be better off not keeping a roof over their head.

And it's not just prison officers that are killed in jail.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Tim_B said:

Don't forget the GOP debates in Vegas tomorrow. Christie and Paul are on the main stage.

This is another CNN debate. Wolf Blitzer was asked how the presenters prepare their questions. His response - honest - was that they have a cone of silence. He means a private meeting room, but the cone of silence is from Get Smart!

How to view, and times -

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2015/12/14/what-time-is-the-republican-debate/77279302/

Oh, now Cruz is 10 points clear in Iowa, Trump called him 'a bit of a maniac' on Fox yesterday.

I think New Hampshire is more important than Iowa. If Trump thumps Rubio convincingly it is the beginning of the end of the race.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Matt Singh

REMAIN 40 (-2)
    LEAVE 42 (+4)

30th Nov-4th Dec
    N=1,005
    Writeup @roger_scully https://t.co/Ym3MHeOIcu

Yet another reason why the vote wont be held in 2016.
    That's alright. For every year that passes, the continent goes further down the drain.

Can you imagine what Germany will be like come 2017? Or Greece? Or (sadly) France?

Come an Autumn 2017 referendum and Leave should be comfortably ahead.

Brexit ahoy.
    Just a thought, albeit one that might be far fetched; the direction of travel is clearly with OUT, I see no reason why that shouldn't continue. Rather than face the ignominy of campaigning to remain, is the PM considering recommending OUT?

What was unthinkable a while back may become reality.
    While that may the case, I think it unlikely that Cameron will recommend an out vote, Having seen the way the referendum has changed politics in Scotland (or the way the first independence referendum change Quebec) it is slightly more likely that he will remain neutral, so that he will be a person that the contrary, the party and the cabin at, can rally round after it is all over.

Looking at referendums in general, (including the AV referendum) the 'normal' direction to travel is for public opinion to move towards 'no change' Whenever a vote is taken to change something the campaign to stay the same will always use fear. As in if we change this 'terrible thing' will happen, there may be no basis in this argument and logic may be indicating that the change will be beneficial. but when it comes down to it fear is a more powerful motivating force than logic.

That sead I will be voting, and otherwise supporting out. I'm just not getting my hopes up to much.
    The chances of him recommending out are slim, the chances of him remaining neutral are zero.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Cruz has responded to Trump by tweeting a video of the 'Maniac' song from Flashdance, with the message "In honor of good hearted maniacs everywhere".

Good one.

Don't tweak the lion's tail. As Woody Allen once remarked - the lion may lay down with the lamb, but the lamb won't get much sleep.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,248

Dair said:

Wanderer said:

Dair said:

Wanderer said:

Scott_P said:

@RuthDavidsonMSP: Crikey. Even @PeteWishart suggests @ScotTories could beat @scottishlabour in May. Pass the smelling salts, Gertie.. https://t.co/6LQDJTD5eu

Is this actually becoming dangerous for Ruth Davidson from an expectations-management point of view?
    Not really because Scotland has AMS. If the Tories can broach 20% and Labour slip below that, the Tories will almost certainly get more seats than Labour on the list (and have a better chance than Labour of winning any constituencies).

If the Tories have more votes, it comes down to relatively unlikely electoral maths for them not to be the second party at Holyrood.
    How likely is it in your opinion?
    It is starting to look better than even.

Scottish Labour have imploded even more since May. Their leader is poor and routinely gets slapped about at FMQs. Albeit that's outwith the public ken but she isn't known and isn't visible ANYWHERE else. At least Ruthie gets pictures riding tanks or feeding journalists Soleros.

All this before the infighting has even started. They currently have 106 candidates fighting it out for perhaps 16 to 20 List Seats. There will be dirty tricks and it will further damage Labour.

Not to mention Labour's paws being all over the Forth Road Bridge problems. Often due to their own inept attempts to smear the SNP.
    Tories 9/4 with Ladbrokes still. Tempting.
    LOL, what for , to finish below LibDems
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Don't forget the GOP debates in Vegas tomorrow. Christie and Paul are on the main stage.

This is another CNN debate. Wolf Blitzer was asked how the presenters prepare their questions. His response - honest - was that they have a cone of silence. He means a private meeting room, but the cone of silence is from Get Smart!

How to view, and times -

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2015/12/14/what-time-is-the-republican-debate/77279302/

Oh, now Cruz is 10 points clear in Iowa, Trump called him 'a bit of a maniac' on Fox yesterday.

I think New Hampshire is more important than Iowa. If Trump thumps Rubio convincingly it is the beginning of the end of the race.
    Trump seems to have caught up in Iowa agai in more recent polls, and to have a gigantic national lead of 41 to 14!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

I don't know if it's a British thing but our pollsters are wracked with self-doubt, with much smaller variations than these. Do US polling compnies feel nonchalant about an apparent 22-point difference in a single day?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

How to view, and times -

It all depends on dynamics and momentum. Iowa is a caucus whereas NH and SC are primaries. Caucuses can throw up some very strange results.

For the conspiracy minded it all depends on how far the GOP 'establishment' is prepared to go to try to rig the game against Trump. There's not much they can do but if he goes 3rd party the GOP will lose the general.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    https://next.ft.com/content/a498119a-a24c-11e5-8d70-42b68cfae6e4
    Voters reject this kind of politics for the same reason they slyly turn up the volume on their headphones when a fellow commuter stands up in the train to start talking about God. It is not antipathy, just English embarrassment. Mr Cameron could not be more of an establishment man if he wore a crown to work, but voters take him seriously. The Leavers would learn from that if the sheer sport of acting the rebel were not so much fun. Britons are not lucky in their elites, but the elites are lucky in their enemies.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Wanderer said:

Dair said:

Wanderer said:

Dair said:

Wanderer said:

Scott_P said:

@RuthDavidsonMSP: Crikey. Even @PeteWishart suggests @ScotTories could beat @scottishlabour in May. Pass the smelling salts, Gertie.. https://t.co/6LQDJTD5eu

Is this actually becoming dangerous for Ruth Davidson from an expectations-management point of view?
    How likely is it in your opinion?

All this before the infighting has even started. They currently have 106 candidates fighting it out for perhaps 16 to 20 List Seats. There will be dirty tricks and it will further damage Labour.

Not to mention Labour's paws being all over the Forth Road Bridge problems. Often due to their own inept attempts to smear the SNP.
    Interesting. Thanks.

I am tempted but, jeez, betting on the Scottish Tories...
    The alternative view that the Acolytes of the Sainted Phoney Rev Frae Bath don't want anyone to hear about is the briefing going on against Mackay and McGarry. Word is that they will soon be sacrificed to save Sturgeon's political life.

Salmond's visit to Holyrood (yes, he is still an MSP as well as an MP) the other day was not only to remind people (Nats) that he is still alive. We are waiting for another version of the "if nominated I'll decline. If drafted I'll defer. And if elected I'll resign," before we see him take up the baton, leading the SNP into the election battle next year, should Nicola be forced from the FM hot seat.

Rather than the Labour party collapsing, it is actually the SNP which have the greater problems.
    You are barking, more bollox in that post than in a herd of Buffalo
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Apropos nothing at all (but tangentially relevant to earlier threads), I have been rooting around old emails and found this quote:-

"Liberty does not consist in making others do what you think right. The difference between a free Government and a Government which is not free is principally this: that a Government which is not free interferes with everything it can, and a free Government interferes with nothing except what it must.
    Sir William Vernon Harcourt, Solicitor General, 1873"

Plus ca change, eh...........

Apart from the anti-Labour rant, this could equally apply to most Governments (including the current one) since 1945.

The current Government (for all its Conservative title) is incredibly interventionist and activist. There is no area of life or public policy into which this Government cannot shoehorn some pointless piece of legislation or diktat.

To assume Labour is somehow "worse" is to miss the point - the only difference is the Conservatives are slightly more subtle.

I was not intending to suggest that Labour were necessarily much worse on this - though they certainly lost any chance of my vote with their anti-civil liberties stance - and I have criticised the Tories in similar terms when they have come up with equally daft and sinister measures. What struck me about what I said is that the last few lines could be said by me about today's Corbyn-led Labour party.

Like SO I think that there used to be an honourable Labour party: Hilary Benn showed that there are some in Labour who still understand what it should stand for. Sadly, he appears to be in a minority and, as far as I'm concerned, Labour has to grow up before serious people need bother giving it consideration.

From assaults on civil liberties to siding with terrorist supporters and sympathisers is not the right direction of travel. IMHO.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,318
    Tim_B said:

Fiorina's on the main stage too. I'm still hopeful that she can recreate some of the momentum after her first main stage performance.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Dan remains irked http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12050227/Labours-spineless-MPs-are-killing-the-party.html
    Each plan has had different architects, timetables and strategies. But each has had one thing in common. They don’t actually involve doing anything. At least, not now. In a week or so – maybe. In a few months – perhaps. In a year or two – possibly.

And that is because they are not – in truth – meant to provide a blueprint for action. Instead they are meant to provide a convenient excuse for inaction.
  • Options

Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCDavidMiller: Asked if he will allow full disclosure of Forth Road Bridge documents, as Labour have demanded, @DerekMackayMSP responds: 'Yes I will".

Scottish Labour in full on lemming mode.

Their paws are all over the Forth Road Bridge. They know it. They even tried to smear the SNP with an email to Scottish Labour Councillor without even trying to explain why the Scottish Labour Councillor did nothing (perhaps because the email didn't ask for anything to be done, it's just comedy).

SLAB must know that there will be reams of damaging releases about their cancellation of a new bridge, their opposition to a new bridge and their attempts to block a new bridge in the Minority parliament.

It's almost as if Scottish Labour played a bluff when it was blindingly obvious to everyone that the bluff would be called.
    If the Forth Road Bridge is such a Labour issue why did the SNP remove the toll?
    Parliament voted 120 - 0 to end bridge tolls on all Scottish Bridges. It was a sound and prudent move with near universal support (even the Greens only abstained).
    Hardly a 'sound and prudent move' if the resulting fall in revenues has resulted in maintenance cuts, and a failure in the upkeep of critical infrastructure.
    The money was available for any and all maintenance required. FETA chose not to spend it. Indeed they had reserves of their own if required without needing to get money from the Scottish Government.

The Liberal councillor who was chair of FETA said that no work was required at the time.
    "The money was available for any and all maintenance required."

Source please, because it's fairly clear it was not: the maintenance was made to fit the budget, not vice versa.
    Why don't you show evidence that the budget was not there. FETA were always given what they asked for.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Brexit is far from certain. I maintain Remain is likely to win, and win comfortably.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain And Northern Ireland Will Never Leave The European Union Whilst David Cameron Is Prime Minister.

TUKOGBANIWNLTEUWDCISPM

You've got an extra S in there ;)
    Why have you put "an extra S" in my abbreviation ? .... :smile:

Nurse!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015

Matt Singh

REMAIN 40 (-2)
    LEAVE 42 (+4)

30th Nov-4th Dec

Has the surge in Leave support been attributed to the Oldham West & Royton by-election yet
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCDavidMiller: Asked if he will allow full disclosure of Forth Road Bridge documents, as Labour have demanded, @DerekMackayMSP responds: 'Yes I will".

Their paws are all over the Forth Road Bridge. They know it. They even tried to smear the SNP with an email to Scottish Labour Councillor without even trying to explain why the Scottish Labour Councillor did nothing (perhaps because the email didn't ask for anything to be done, it's just comedy).

SLAB must know that there will be reams of damaging releases about their cancellation of a new bridge, their opposition to a new bridge and their attempts to block a new bridge in the Minority parliament.

It's almost as if Scottish Labour played a bluff when it was blindingly obvious to everyone that the bluff would be called.
    If the Forth Road Bridge is such a Labour issue why did the SNP remove the toll?
    Parliament voted 120 - 0 to end bridge tolls on all Scottish Bridges. It was a sound and prudent move with near universal support (even the Greens only abstained).
    Hardly a 'sound and prudent move' if the resulting fall in revenues has resulted in maintenance cuts, and a failure in the upkeep of critical infrastructure.
    The Liberal councillor who was chair of FETA said that no work was required at the time.
    So you are admitting catastrophically slack oversight by the FM's office of this critical transport quango ?

LOL, unionists you couldnae beat them with a stick. Did you miss the point that FETA were responsible for running the bridge and asking for whatever funds were required to maintain the bridge.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Great to hear all these expert engineering and financial experts opinions.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Fiorina's on the main stage too. I'm still hopeful that she can recreate some of the momentum after her first main stage performance.
    I hope so too, I like Carly. But time is getting short. However she can say more, clearly and succinctly in fewer words than any other candidates.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

If the bridge is still closed as the campaign starts the SNP will own it and then some. Buy Tory seats in Edinburgh.
    SNP are entirely culpable for this closed bridge fiasco - only surprise is they aren't blaming "Fatcha"

Ha Ha Ha the turnips are out in force today
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264
    malcolmg said:

Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

The money was available for any and all maintenance required. FETA chose not to spend it. Indeed they had reserves of their own if required without needing to get money from the Scottish Government.

"The money was available for any and all maintenance required."

Source please, because it's fairly clear it was not: the maintenance was made to fit the budget, not vice versa.
    Why don't you show evidence that the budget was not there. FETA were always given what they asked for.
    Why don't you show evidence that FETA was always given what they asked for?

(As for my evidence, documents I've previously linked to (*) that show the maintenance work was decided from the budget, not vice versa)

(*) That's good enough for Dair, it should be good enough for an Eliza.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

What is your 'expertise' in, aside from poorly and rudely trolling websites? Go on, let's hear the life experience of an Eliza, aka MalcG ?

I can only assume that the first year programmers are more drunk than usual in the run-up to Christmas ...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

So you are admitting catastrophically slack oversight by the FM's office of this critical transport quango ?

LOL, unionists you couldnae beat them with a stick. Did you miss the point that FETA were responsible for running the bridge and asking for whatever funds were required to maintain the bridge.
    Let's have a source for that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Trump said the other day at a large event that if he (Trump) is elected, "we are going to bomb the shit out of ISIS".

At last, a real policy difference ;)
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Now now. Don't go disrespecting Admiral-Surgeon Dair, lifetime chairman of the Scottish Society of Financial Managers and Civil Engineers. There's no subject in which he's not the nations leading authority.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Now now. Don't go disrespecting Admiral-Surgeon Dair, lifetime chairman of the Scottish Society of Financial Managers and Civil Engineers? There's no subject in which he's not the nations leading expert.
    *hums When I Was A Lad*
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Cyclefree: (cliccking on "quote" not working for some reason):

and this comment from me (elsewhere) on Labour in June 2009 (in relation to their ID cards proposal):-

"The issue is Labour and its appalling policies - the full ghastly list of their disasters is too numerous to mention but high amongst the list of shameful acts is its assault on our civil liberties, our freedoms and our privacy. None of the other candidates for leader have ever shown any spine on any of these or any of the other issues . Time for them all to go. Time for us to have our say. Let them grieve over the destruction of what used to be an honourable political party; let them try and rebuild it in private, if they can, and not bother us again until they have shown us that they are fit to be let out in polite society once again."

Plus ca change, eh...........
    ---------
    Yes, but perhaps not as you meant it? You've implied in recent months that you are a possible Labour voter, the sort we sjhould be wooing, but sadly shocked into revulsion by Corbyn. It's somewhat put in perspective by the revelation that you were previously shocked into revulsion by the idea of people being able to identify themselves. And you hint at earlier dastardly proposals which also horrified you.

When is the last time that you actually, you know...(psst!)...voted Labour? :-)
  • Options
    Lord Sigmund Dair of Wiki, shurely?
    watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Now now. Don't go disrespecting Admiral-Surgeon Dair, lifetime chairman of the Scottish Society of Financial Managers and Civil Engineers. There's no subject in which he's not the nations leading authority.
  • Options
    I've just seen an American called Ben Carson on Sky, never heard of him before but what a very impressive man.
  • Options

I've just seen an American called Ben Carson on Sky, never heard of him before but what a very impressive man.

This is pyramids granary guy? :D
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2015
    It is the words for their headstone.
    "The bulk of the PLP yearns for anything that will bring an end to their Corbyn nightmare. Anything, that is, that does not require an act of courage or defiance from themselves.
    And these people actually aspire to govern us."
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited December 2015

malcolmg said:

(As for my evidence, documents I've previously linked to (*) that show the maintenance work was decided from the budget, not vice versa)

The Liberal Democrat chairman of FETA was interviewed on television and stated, on the record, that FETA were not denied necessary funds and that the work was cancelled by them because they did not believe it was needed.

If you can find a single press release from FETA advising that the Scottish Government were underfunding them, then post the link. Not biased reports from the UK's political press, an actual statement from the horses mouth.

There were Liberal and Labour councillors on FETA#s board. They had every possible reason to try to smear the SNP if anything of concern was going on. They didn't because it wasn't.

I can understand that you probably don't live in Scotland and see the Scottish news broadcasts but the issue is settled, FETA were funded as well as FETA demanded.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Very strong turnout of Con Peers today - 201 - not quite as high as on Tax Credits (215) or Individual Voter Registration (208) - but 201 is still exceptionally high.

FOR VOTES AT 16:
    Crossbench - 10
    Labour - 136
    Lib Dems - 89
    Other - 11
    TOTAL - 246

AGAINST VOTES AT 16:
    Bishops - 1
    Conservative - 201
    Crossbench - 54
    Labour - 1
    Other - 6
    TOTAL - 263

Main Parties turnout:
    Con = 201 out of 251 = 80%
    Labour = 136 out of 213 = 64%
    Lib Dems = 89 out of 111= 80%

So exceptional turnout by Lib Dems as well - as they are very keen on votes at 16. But Lab Peers didn't make any special effort - 64% is only marginally above what might be expected on a "routine" day.

But note Con still needed to win the Crossbenchers by a big margin - which they did.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/lords/lords-divisions/
  • Options
    RobD said:

Eh?

• Options

RobD said:

Eh?

Didn't he think that the pyramids in Egypt were in fact granaries?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

Dunno but he spoke a lot of sense in a measured way
  • Options

He says that the biblical Joseph built the pyramids for storing grain. He's on record. He has a penchant for making dumb comments like that. (He is a 7th day adventist).

But as a neurosurgeon, they don't come any better.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

Well, I suppose they aren't electing an Archaeologist-in-Chief :D
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Very strong turnout of Con Peers today - 201 - not quite as high as on Tax Credits (215) or Individual Voter Registration (208) - but 201 is still exceptionally high.

FOR VOTES AT 16:
    Crossbench - 10
    Labour - 136
    Lib Dems - 89
    Other - 11
    TOTAL - 246

AGAINST VOTES AT 16:
    Bishops - 1
    Conservative - 201
    Crossbench - 54
    Labour - 1
    Other - 6
    TOTAL - 263

Main Parties turnout:

So exceptional turnout by Lib Dems as well - as they are very keen on votes at 16. But Lab Peers didn't make any special effort - 64% is only marginally above what might be expected on a "routine" day.

But note Con still needed to win the Crossbenchers by a big margin - which they did.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/lords/lords-divisions/

Nothing as pathetic as seeing adult citizens denied the vote by unelected peers. The UK's pitiful pretence at democracy continues to be undermined.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

Depending on the subject he does indeed. But foreign policy exposed him woefully.
  • Options
    Dair said:

MikeL said:

FOR VOTES AT 16:
    Crossbench - 10
    Labour - 136
    Lib Dems - 89
    Other - 11
    TOTAL - 246

AGAINST VOTES AT 16:
    Bishops - 1
    Conservative - 201
    Crossbench - 54
    Labour - 1
    Other - 6
    TOTAL - 263

Main Parties turnout:

Nothing as pathetic as seeing adult citizens denied the vote by unelected peers. The UK's pitiful pretence at democracy continues to be undermined.
    They aren't adult citizens.
  • Options
    Your HoL updates are very helpful and interesting - thanxx
    MikeL said:

FOR VOTES AT 16:
    Crossbench - 10
    Labour - 136
    Lib Dems - 89
    Other - 11
    TOTAL - 246

AGAINST VOTES AT 16:
    Bishops - 1
    Conservative - 201
    Crossbench - 54
    Labour - 1
    Other - 6
    TOTAL - 263

Main Parties turnout:

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

Well, I suppose they aren't electing an Archaeologist-in-Chief :D
    It could be useful if they did - he could look for Obama's college records, which are still sealed! :D
  • Options

If you think that you need to see a brain surgeon ....

• Options
    WTF? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12050357/Senior-nurses-jailed-for-making-up-blood-sugar-readings-at-hospital-in-Wales.html
    Senior nurses jailed for making up blood sugar readings at hospital in Wales.
    Cardiff Crown Court heard Rebecca Jones, 31, and Lauro Bertulano, 46, were too lazy to check the glucose levels of some patients on a stroke ward
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Cyclefree: ---------
    You've implied in recent months that you are a possible Labour voter, the sort we sjhould be wooing, but sadly shocked into revulsion by Corbyn. It's somewhat put in perspective by the revelation that you were previously shocked into revulsion by the idea of people being able to identify themselves.

When is the last time that you actually, you know...(psst!)...voted Labour? :-)

Between 1979 and 1997. I started my working life in a law centre helping West Indian renters badly treated by grasping and neglectful landlords (look up the Clanricarde Gardens fire to get an idea of the problems) and acting for black youths accused of muggings and similar in Ladbroke Grove and Notting Hill before it became fashionable. The first political cause I supported was the campaign for the Birmingham 6. I have a lot of time for people like Chris Mullins precisely because of the work he did on it.

I would like to have the opportunity to vote for a decent truly liberal left of centre social democratic party. I would like to have such a party as a proper opposition because all of us need it and need it to keep the government honest. I could agree with most of SO's 9 principles that he posted the other day.

And I see that you claim that ID cards are about being able to identify oneself. It's that, frankly, piss-poor analysis which is one reason why Labour lost me. Remember also detention without trial. That was another shocker for me - though not for the Labour MPs (were you one of them, Nick?) who voted for it.

I don't need, frankly, lectures from anyone about whether I am really a persuadable voter. What Labour ought to be doing is thinking hard about why people like me who started out on the soft social democratic left are now revolted by what Labour has become. You should look and see the post I wrote in response to the Hilary Benn speech and ask yourself why it is that so many people - not just Labour or Labour-inclined people - responded to it. You should be moving towards the voters not making sarcastic comments at them. You should remember what liberal and decent Labour principles mean.

The common thread in my revulsion from Labour has been its turning away from liberal principles and its embrace of illiberal values, culminating in the associates which your leader is so proud to proclaim as his friends and as representing the best of Britain. Well, they don't. They represent something akin to fascism in their hatred of freedom and liberal values and free speech. The way in which Labour has turned away from equality for women and gays & real anti-racism in its rush to embrace anti-Semitic illiberal clerical fascists, provided they have the votes and if they are Labour's enemies enemy has been depressing.

Orwell had the measure of people who do this and I wish we had someone like him commenting today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

Perhaps Carson meant grannies?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

Everyone knows they are ancient landing pads for spaceships... ;)
  • Options

What's he doing on Sky? He's meant to be at The Venetian in Vegas for a walkthrough. Is he in the UK burnishing his foreign policy credentials?
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

- and for sharpening razor blades, and the original discarded design shape for Toblerone
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

- and for sharpening razor blades, and the original discarded design shape for Toblerone
    Or, as the historical headline goes, "Giant Cube at Giza Half Built"
  • Options
    :smiley:
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Eh?

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293
    Oh my goodness

This is truly awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_Jdts5rL0
  • Options
    Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) prides itself on being "independent". Yet all is not quite as it seems:

Guido: As far as I can see it doesn’t say anywhere in the report that the IPPR is funded by Europe.

Marley Morris: Yes, that’s correct, we’re not.

Guido: So you’re not funded by Europe?

Marley: Correct, we don’t receive any funding from Europe. Some people say we do, but we don’t.

Guido: But on your website it says you received between £60,001 and £80,000 from the European Commission during 2014.

Marley: Uhhh… Uhh… Oh yes… Uhh I think there was another project funded by… uhh… Europe that someone was… uhh… working on.
    http://order-order.com/2015/12/14/more-eu-sockpuppetry-from-ippr/
    How big is their total funding? If it's £1m, that's a very significant proportion. If it's £10m, then it's well under 1%.
    "Are you funded by the EU?'
    "No"
    "But your website says you took money from the EU"
    "Oh, yes"

Simplistic maybe, but accurate.

Yeah; but scale is important. I take "funded" to mean "do you derive a significant portion of your income from".

I am not funded by the government. I have a job. But I have probably received funding from the government at some point.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) prides itself on being "independent". Yet all is not quite as it seems:

Guido: As far as I can see it doesn’t say anywhere in the report that the IPPR is funded by Europe.

Marley: Correct, we don’t receive any funding from Europe. Some people say we do, but we don’t.

Guido: But on your website it says you received between £60,001 and £80,000 from the European Commission during 2014.

Marley: Uhhh… Uhh… Oh yes… Uhh I think there was another project funded by… uhh… Europe that someone was… uhh… working on.
    How big is their total funding? If it's £1m, that's a very significant proportion. If it's £10m, then it's well under 1%.
    "No"
    "Oh, yes"

Yeah; but scale is important. I take "funded" to mean "do you derive a significant portion of your income from".

I am not funded by the government. I have a job. But I have probably received funding from the government at some point.

But they are claiming to be impartial...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2015

I haven't followed the Sports Direct story.
    One thing that did used to irk me when I used to work for Tesco was that they were quick enough to give you a bollocking if you were one minute late on shift.
    But keeping you behind for 10-15 minutes after the shift to queue up to get searched was regarded as ok by them.
    I was happy to be searched 10 times a day, but do it on the company clock, not mine.

"Look, a warehouse with manual workers...how unusual"
    "Look, people doing private sector jobs....how quaint."
    "Look, they have anti-fraud measures in place......how Dickensian."

Emily Thornberry reaches for her camera.

Guardian exclusives have that feel.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

"No"
    "Oh, yes"

It's enough for two full time salaries. I don't call that in insignificant amount whatever their overall budget.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

"No"
    "Oh, yes"

But they are claiming to be impartial...

Yes, I get that. And that's why scale is important.
  • Options
    Tonight - THank God! - is the world premiere of Star Wars - The Farce Awakens in LA. I gather in the UK it's Wednesday.

I've lost count of advertising tie ins, even down to Ram Trucks driving across the sand with the theme playing, and the commercial ends with a movie promo slide.

I've counted at least 8 campaigns featuring the movie tie in. Ram is a bit of a reach - but Walmart I get, as they have aisles of Star Wars stuff and have had for almost 2 months.

After the last 3 truly awful movies, I have no desire to see this one. Jar Jar Binks indeed.
  • Options
    That is SUPERB
    rcs1000 said:

Oh my goodness

This is truly awesome: ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_Jdts5rL0

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

"No"
    "Oh, yes"

It's enough for two full time salaries. I don't call that in insignificant amount whatever their overall budget.

It's enough for two full time salaries for one year.

When was the funding recieved? Was it in the last year? Is it ongoing? Was it related to a specific project? Who are you other funding providers?

This reminds me of the kind of lefty crap about how some contract was awarded to some firm because some hedge fund owned some shares in it, and the founder of the hedge fund gave some money to the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    There will be a lot more of this. The EU has its fingers in a lot of pies, trying to distort public perceptions.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    rcs1000 said:

Oh my goodness

This is truly awesome

Well, yes. The bit when he took off his helmet, and the hair... Magic.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tonight - THank God! - is the world premiere of Star Wars - The Farce Awakens in LA. I gather in the UK it's Wednesday.

I've lost count of advertising tie ins, even down to Ram Trucks driving across the sand with the theme playing, and the commercial ends with a movie promo slide.

I've counted at least 8 campaigns featuring the movie tie in. Ram is a bit of a reach - but Walmart I get, as they have aisles of Star Wars stuff and have had for almost 2 months.

After the last 3 truly awful movies, I have no desire to see this one. Jar Jar Binks indeed.

Just think, tomorrow morning you'll be able to bittorrent it...
  • Options
    Trump's doctor has released his medical records.

Some of his language may strike a chord.....

Trump's health is amazingly excellent, and he would be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.

Damn, I need his phone number :D
  • Options
    Dair said:

malcolmg said:

The Liberal Democrat chairman of FETA was interviewed on television and stated, on the record, that FETA were not denied necessary funds and that the work was cancelled by them because they did not believe it was needed.

If you can find a single press release from FETA advising that the Scottish Government were underfunding them, then post the link. Not biased reports from the UK's political press, an actual statement from the horses mouth.

There were Liberal and Labour councillors on FETA#s board. They had every possible reason to try to smear the SNP if anything of concern was going on. They didn't because it wasn't.

I can understand that you probably don't live in Scotland and see the Scottish news broadcasts but the issue is settled, FETA were funded as well as FETA demanded.
    The issue is very far from settled, as your increasingly detached-from-reality posts have shown. Excuse me if I don't take your word for it: let's see the interview (and not biased reports from Scottish political press, if I were to play your silly game).

Although it's good to see that, in your mind, the Scottish government have no responsibilities, as they take no responsibility when things go wrong. In which case the whole useless caboodle should be wound up and the powers sent back to where they will be used properly - London. ;)

Given Scotland's great and glorious engineering heritage, it's a crying shame that Scots such as you are so clueless about even basic engineering, as you have shown in this thread. Telford, the Stevenson family, Rankine, Concrete Bob and others would surely be birling in their grave (*) if they were to read what you've written today.

(*) My dad's actually done birling in Canada.
  • Options
    Oh, when Luke fell into the abyss as Darth droned on - epic
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh my goodness

This is truly awesome

• Options
    chestnut said:

One thing that did used to irk me when I used to work for Tesco was that they were quick enough to give you a bollocking if you were one minute late on shift.
    But keeping you behind for 10-15 minutes after the shift to queue up to get searched was regarded as ok by them.
    I was happy to be searched 10 times a day, but do it on the company clock, not mine.

Reminds me of the Prince Charles ‘spider letters' – As Guardian exclusives go, it was the dampest of damp squibs. Charles likes trees... Who knew?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

I'll just wait and rent the dvd from Netflix.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Reminds me of the Prince Charles ‘spider letters' – As Guardian exclusives go, it was the dampest of damp squibs. Charles likes trees... Who knew?
    He turned over a new leaf?
  • Options

Oh, when Luke fell into the abyss as Darth droned on - epic

Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh my goodness

This is truly awesome

Possibly the greatest use of Adobe software ever :-)
  • Options
    @NickPalmer:

http://noramulready.com/2015/11/17/islamism-the-left-and-a-plea-to-labour-mps/

This sums up my views pretty well.

When Labour rediscovers its moral compass it will find a listener in me. If it does.

I am not hopeful.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    8 new Labour peers were appointed in the dissolution honours list - who turned up today?

Blunkett - No
    Darling - No
    Hain - Yes
    Jowell - Yes
    Livermore - Yes
    Murphy - Yes
    Primarolo - No
    Watts - No

I think that's pretty noteworthy - 4 of their 8 new Peers didn't show up - doesn't look as if much effort was being made.
  • Options
    Interesting graphic by @voxdotcom showing why this US election is proving hard to buy... https://t.co/IhTuP3kCrS https://t.co/v5ay6pnkLw
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited December 2015
    I will have seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3 times before 9:30am Thursday.

I have tickets to the 00:05, 03:30 and 07:30 showings
  • Options

So more "Star Wanks: The Farce Awakens" then :D
  • Options
    Lord Warner who resigned the Labour whip a few weeks ago voted with the Conservatives.

Lord Adonis who also resigned the Labour whip voted with Labour.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited December 2015
    Cyclefree said:

@NickPalmer:

http://noramulready.com/2015/11/17/islamism-the-left-and-a-plea-to-labour-mps/

This sums up my views pretty well.

When Labour rediscovers its moral compass it will find a listener in me. If it does.

I am not hopeful.

Well said CF. You certainly IMO deserve the Poster of the year award on PB.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

I don't know if I can bring myself to see the latest movie after the last three disasters.
  • Options
    No messing about
    A Swedish court has jailed two men to life in jail on terror charges after police found footage linking them to two beheadings in Syria in 2013.

The Goteborg District Court ruled that not only were Hassan Mostafa al-Mandlawi, 32, and 30-year-old Sultan al-Amin, involved in the killings but that the murders were intended to intimidate and frighten people in Syria and abroad.

'The murder films have obviously been crucial, and the prosecutor has managed to show that it is those two guys who are in the videos,' the court's chairman, Ralf G Larsson, told the TT news agency after pronouncing the guilty verdict on Monday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3359768/Two-terrorists-jailed-life-police-beheading-videos-computer-memory-sticks-returned-Sweden-Syria.html#ixzz3uKOtleW0
  • Options
    Jesus: what is it with men and Star Wars?! Most of my team have been talking about nothing else for days.................!!
  • Options

Would you do the same to Martin Sheen in "The Way", which is a lovely lovely movie?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jesus: what is it with men and Star Wars?! Most of my team have been talking about nothing else for days.................!!

I'm not a fan myself, but my theory is it's the light sabers - they put batteries in their underpants and just hope :D
  • Options

The issue is very far from settled, as your increasingly detached-from-reality posts have shown. Excuse me if I don't take your word for it: let's see the interview (and not biased reports from Scottish political press, if I were to play your silly game).

Although it's good to see that, in your mind, the Scottish government have no responsibilities, as they take no responsibility when things go wrong. In which case the whole useless caboodle should be wound up and the powers sent back to where they will be used properly - London. ;)

Given Scotland's great and glorious engineering heritage, it's a crying shame that Scots such as you are so clueless about even basic engineering, as you have shown in this thread. Telford, the Stevenson family, Rankine, Concrete Bob and others would surely be birling in their grave (*) if they were to read what you've written today.

(*) My dad's actually done birling in Canada.

The story did not even feature on the STV News today. BBC continue with it, as they are run as the propaganda wing of the Labour Party but they look increasingly desperate given that the issue's already looking like nothing but problems for Labour and trying to smear the SNP isn't working.

I make no claims to be an engineer. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Would it not be common for a HUGE number of potential replacement and maintenance projects on any large structure to be considered, costed and cancelled? I don't think it is unreasonable to believe there will not be a single piece of metalwork on the entire bridge where replacement has not been considered and costed at some point.

The Scottish government, like any government have reponsibilities. But they should always be considered in terms of reasonableness. However they had absolutely NO responsibility over the bridge in 2010 when the proposed work was cancelled.

If they were underfunding, then there were political opponents on the board of FETA ready and eager to disclose those - yet there are no reports of this happening.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I don't know if I can bring myself to see the latest movie after the last three disasters.
    Is directed by JJ Abrams.

That gives me a new hope about these films.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Is directed by JJ Abrams.

That gives me a new hope about these films.
    Very good - that was the name of the original ;)

When the second movie came out, a baseball umpire published a successful book called "The Umpire Strikes Back".

How old were you when you first saw a Star Wars movie?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options

I recall watching Phaton Menace twice in a day when it came out.

I'll probably only watch it once at the IMAX just outside my door, still trying to decide between 3am 6am or 10am, will decide based on how I feel on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm not a fan myself, but my theory is it's the light sabers - they put batteries in their underpants and just hope :D
    Oh my God! What an image.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Shadow minister: "Only 40 MPs at Parliamentary Labour Party meeting tonight. Morale has completely collapsed."
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Oh my God! What an image.

No need to worry - I'm sure they're Duracell coppertop. D cells would look more impressive to the observer ;)
  • Options
    I've never considered how many show for each meeting. Anyone know what was normal?
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Shadow minister: "Only 40 MPs at Parliamentary Labour Party meeting tonight. Morale has completely collapsed."

• Options
    Dair said:

The story did not even feature on the STV News today. BBC continue with it, as they are run as the propaganda wing of the Labour Party but they look increasingly desperate given that the issue's already looking like nothing but problems for Labour and trying to smear the SNP isn't working.

I make no claims to be an engineer. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Would it not be common for a HUGE number of potential replacement and maintenance projects on any large structure to be considered, costed and cancelled? I don't think it is unreasonable to believe there will not be a single piece of metalwork on the entire bridge where replacement has not been considered and costed at some point.

The Scottish government, like any government have reponsibilities. But they should always be considered in terms of reasonableness. However they had absolutely NO responsibility over the bridge in 2010 when the proposed work was cancelled.

If they were underfunding, then there were political opponents on the board of FETA ready and eager to disclose those - yet there are no reports of this happening.

"Would it not be common for a HUGE number of potential replacement and maintenance projects on any large structure to be considered, costed and cancelled? I don't think it is unreasonable to believe there will not be a single piece of metalwork on the entire bridge where replacement has not been considered and costed at some point."

AIUI no, and certainly not to the extent of submitting the work job as a contract. There will be studies and analyses as knowledge improves or usage alters; progressing as far as issuing a contract is another matter. This is especially true for a contract as critical as the truss end replacement, and other components who had reached end-of-life or fatigue limits.

And the Scottish government did have responsibility: since the abolition of tolls, they were directly funding the bridge. And they reduced that funding. If they wanted to be absolved of most of the responsibility, they should either not have removed tolls, or kept the direct grant at the same level as tolls per vehicle using the bridge. They did not.
  • Options
    Dair said:

I'll probably only watch it once at the IMAX just outside my door, still trying to decide between 3am 6am or 10am, will decide based on how I feel on Wednesday.
    Is it real IMAX, which uses 70mm stock run through sideways, and the picture quality is unbelievably good, or is it 4k digital, known as LIEMAX?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Are you a Star Wars fan?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

Kodi........
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited December 2015
    Dair said:

I'm watching it at one of the only two IMAX cinemas in the UK that will be showing the proper 3D IMAX print.

I'm unbelievably smug about that.

Then I see the 4DX version at 7.30am
This discussion has been closed.