Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Echoes of History: Hilary Benn and Michael Foot

Comments

• Options

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

The BBC have a piccie of one of the cracks in the Firth Bridge:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35001277

Difficult ...

Ouch! That doesn't look like it will be fixed with a mig welder, I wonder how quickly they can speed up work to get at least some of the new bridge open more quickly than planned?
    More worryingly, this was apparently a member that was not thought at risk of failure, and they have found defects in other members. This means that their assumptions and calculations of the forces in the structure may be well off for some reason.

There has to be a small chance it will never fully reopen, even with weight limits.
    Ouch.

Thanks for the reply FPT. Glad my memory wasn't playing tricks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

California shooter 'pledged allegiance to IS'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35006404

The New York Times and likeminded media are still running articles saying "what is their motive", "possible workplace argument", blah blah fecking blah.

It's pitiful. The contortions they are going through to avoid telling the truth, which they will now have to do.
    Just waiting for somebody to come out and say they didn't mean to, they just got a bit stressed.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2015
    If I read that correctly, last night's was the lowest Con - Lab swing in the NW since Cameron became PM in 2010.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

In an extraordinary development, it turns out the San Bernardino shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS as she slaughtered her husband's co-workers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/04/us/san-bernardino-shooting/index.html

I mean, who could have predicted that? That it was a terror attack? How can it not be the fault of the NRA, the Republican party, Donald Trump, rightwing people and whites?

So one mass shooting in America this year is due to ISIS terrorism. Given the previous 352 this year didn't you could see why people might jump to conclusions.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

There seems to be a big overlap between Labour's "core vote" and its postal votes.
    Maybe that's true of other parties too now that postal voting is so easily available. A few years ago I asked for a postal vote out of necessity, and subsequently I have been sent reminders enabling me to reactivate it.

Postal votes should be abolished on all counts except for registered disabled.
  • Options
    I'm very disappointed for UKIP. I genuinely thought this would be their moment - the moment they revealed themselves to be what every UKIP supporter knows within the very core of his being: that this is a party, nay an epoch, on the verge electoral domination. Instead we were inflicted with yet another miserable flop. As for citizen Farage, he's coming across more and more as a hustler and full of wind. I fear that the public will get bored (if they haven't already) and UKIP will wither on the vine.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Ouch! That doesn't look like it will be fixed with a mig welder, I wonder how quickly they can speed up work to get at least some of the new bridge open more quickly than planned?
    More worryingly, this was apparently a member that was not thought at risk of failure, and they have found defects in other members. This means that their assumptions and calculations of the forces in the structure may be well off for some reason.

There has to be a small chance it will never fully reopen, even with weight limits.
    Piddling little crack!! Whats the world coming to? Put yer foot down and get over it quicker!

I must say I thought there was a second bridge open by now but its a year away. The article suggests its going to replace the original; I know its 50 years old but it ought to last longer than that surely.
    It's been running massively over capacity for years.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    When it came out from eye witnesses that Mr & Mrs turned up with assault rifles and body armor that kinda ruined any scepticism I had about their motive.

You don't bring your wife along when going postal.
    SeanT said:

The New York Times and likeminded media are still running articles saying "what is their motive", "possible workplace argument", blah blah fecking blah.

It's pitiful. The contortions they are going through to avoid telling the truth, which they will now have to do.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,146

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Piddling little crack!! Whats the world coming to? Put yer foot down and get over it quicker!

I must say I thought there was a second bridge open by now but its a year away. The article suggests its going to replace the original; I know its 50 years old but it ought to last longer than that surely.
    If there's loads of cracks like that one in the picture, it's probably a better idea to throw every builder in Scotland at the new bridge, get that open then decide what to do with the old one.

From memory the busted Thelwall Viaduct we discussed earlier took two years to fix, and that's a very small bridge compared to this one.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Have to post this before HYUFD beats me to it.
    New CNN/ORC poll, Trump at new record highs:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/04/politics/donald-trump-poll-cnn-orc-national/index.html?sr=twCNN120415donald-trump-poll-cnn-orc-national/index.html1125AMVODtopLink&linkId=19300429

Trump 36 /+9
    Cruz 16 /+12
    Carson 14 /-8
    Rubio 12 /+4
    Christie 4 / 0
    Bush 3 /-5
    Fiorina 3 -1
    Huckabee 2 /-3
    Paul 1 /-4

Trump has also hit a new record high on the RCP average, this time in 2012 Romney was having trouble with Gingrich, in 2008 Giuliani has just started his long slump with Huckabee his surge.

P.S.
    Dear David Herdson,
    I hope you have not forgotten to eat Lord Ashdown's hat as you pledged if Labour got more than 55% in Oldham, because if you have I will remind it to you with my first comment I do each day.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    edited December 2015
    Re SPOTY...Of all the things Fury has said, the heptathlete Ennis-Hill “looks quite fit when she’s got a dress on”...I fail to see what is so utterly appalling about that...Do women not regularly say [insert attractive man] looks very attractive in a suit or a uniform? Its odd how David Beckham gets the undie ads, where as nobody asks Wayne Rooney despite being Englands leading goalscorer...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

In an extraordinary development, it turns out the San Bernardino shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS as she slaughtered her husband's co-workers.

I mean, who could have predicted that? That it was a terror attack? How can it not be the fault of the NRA, the Republican party, Donald Trump, rightwing people and whites?

So one mass shooting in America this year is due to ISIS terrorism. Given the previous 352 this year didn't you could see why people might jump to conclusions.
    Since its likely this couple were bonkers (sadly) then spouting ISIS's name is a not unlikely act of defiance/justification.
  • Options

It's worth remembering that centrist, Liz Kendall supporting Mr McMahon was chosen by people who had to have been Labour members for a minimum of six months. That is, his selectorate were from the pre-Corbyn surge. I wonder if he would get the nod now.

Interesting detail. Am I right to assume that only full members will vote on MP selections for election in the constituencies, and that the £3 wonders were only for the national elections for the leader and deputy?
  • Options

It's worth remembering that centrist, Liz Kendall supporting Mr McMahon was chosen by people who had to have been Labour members for a minimum of six months. That is, his selectorate were from the pre-Corbyn surge. I wonder if he would get the nod now.

Possibly, but only on the basis of being an apparently outstanding local candidate, already well-known to his members. He'd have had a much tougher job being nominated in any other safe Labour seat.
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Big jessies , a steel plate and a handful of bolts and it will be tickety-boo
    What a stroke of luck. We have another chartered Civil Engineer offering free advice. What do they say? If it costs nothing, that's probably what it's worth.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,322
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Malc, can we have a list of bridges you've worked on, as we might want to avoid them. :)
  • Options

I'm very disappointed for UKIP. I genuinely thought this would be their moment - the moment they revealed themselves to be what every UKIP supporter knows within the very core of his being: that this is a party, nay an epoch, on the verge electoral domination. Instead we were inflicted with yet another miserable flop. As for citizen Farage, he's coming across more and more as a hustler and full of wind. I fear that the public will get bored (if they haven't already) and UKIP will wither on the vine.

Labour's unelectability, the Lib Dems' collapse, a centrist Tory government and the EU referendum will see them through for now.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

It's actually 1352, you have mistyped.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700

and one less fatuous than 'negotiate a comprehensive political settlement in Syria'. In particular, I cannot myself see any logic whatsoever in opposing the UK's involvment in ISIS-held Syria, whilst supporting it in Iraq, and supporting the policy of the French, and supporting the UN resolution, which seems to be the position of many of those who opposed this week's government motion.

I more or less agree with you about being against syria but pro iraq bombing. On the other hand, bombing because we don't have any other ideas is equally fatuous, is it not?
    It's not bombing 'because we don't have any other ideas'. It's bombing because that's the most effective available way of stopping ISIS from sweeping up yet more territory, of helping their opponents (notably the Kurds) to regain territory, and to disrupt their oil sales, their planning of atrocities, and their real-life-video-nasty production units.
    13 months of US bombing had quite the opposite effect. Even the higher tempo Russian bombing advances are slow, and these are of course carried out by ground forces, and crucially it seems by helicopter gunships, which (search and rescue chopper downed by TOW missile notwithstanding) seem unanswerable by ISIS and the other groups.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Labour's unelectability, the Lib Dems' collapse, a centrist Tory government and the EU referendum will see them through for now.

A Tory government so "centrist" that it's been criticised by Norman Tebbit for being too cruel to the poor.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

The Guardian has it as "only" 1,052 mass shootings in 1,066 days in America.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    So the California terrorist pledged his allegiance to ISIS.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    "Carry yourself with humility and dignity at all times"
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

There's something wrong if you put your foot down to get over that little crack, given its location. You might soon be meeting the sea ...

Which will be part of the problem. It does not look particularly accessible.

I read earlier the bridge was designed to last 120 years. It is just a smidgen over fifty years old. Although the nearly-as-old Severn Bridge is also having a few problems, though not as serious.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

My number was just as pulled out of my arse as the Guardian's random number generator.
    These numbers do not relate to real events.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

There's something wrong if you put your foot down to get over that little crack, given its location. You might soon be meeting the sea ...

Which will be part of the problem. It does not look particularly accessible.

I read earlier the bridge was designed to last 120 years. It is just a smidgen over fifty years old. Although the nearly-as-old Severn Bridge is also having a few problems, though not as serious.
    The local workforce were clearly too drunk to build it correctly. Malky swigging Brasso whilst welding poor joints.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Malc, can we have a list of bridges you've worked on, as we might want to avoid them. :)
    Article today saying the steel for the new Forth Bridge is 14inchs short of joining at the centre and apparently vehicles will not be allowed to drive at less than 30 mph over the gap. Not sure if this is a joke or there is some truth in it. Maybe MalcG can give us his view on this story
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    It reads like the sort of very angry drunken email I'd write at midnight to a work colleague, wake up at 3am having a panic attack... then feel exquisite relief as I discovered it in Drafts, rather than Sent Mail
    isam said:

• Options
    SeanT said:

The left are slowly becoming a joke.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Article today saying the steel for the new Forth Bridge is 14inchs short of joining at the centre and apparently vehicles will not be allowed to drive at less than 30 mph over the gap. Not sure if this is a joke or there is some truth in it. Maybe MalcG can give us his view on this story
    Also on the old Forth Bridge my wife and I drove over it on opening day in Sept 1964 and drove back and didn't know we had crossed due to intense fog
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Why does the USA keep driving cars ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

32,719 deaths so far this year.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

And [looks at watch], gives it 12 hours, and waits for the "nothing to do with Islam" line.
  • Options

My evening with McDonnell and Momentum – and yes, it’s all about deselections

Momentum members shared leaflets calling for “a vote of no confidence in Chuka Umunna”, activists sought signatures for a petiton “against Chuka” and one member demanded to know from the chief Momentum organiser: “What are you going to do about Umunna?”

http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2015/12/my-evening-with-mcdonnell-and-momentum-and-yes-its-all-about-deselections.html

A confirmation about all I have said about STW and Momentum right from the beginning. Labour is being eaten away from within.
    Corbynizing fascistitis.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

And [looks at watch], gives it 12 hours, and waits for the "nothing to do with Islam" line.
    I'm surprised it hasn't already come up.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

I'm surprised it hasn't already come up.
    It has become the equivalent to "learning lessons" after any big political / business scandal.
  • Options

Shhh. This is a triumph for Corbynism. Don't spoil my party.
  • Options

My evening with McDonnell and Momentum – and yes, it’s all about deselections

Momentum members shared leaflets calling for “a vote of no confidence in Chuka Umunna”, activists sought signatures for a petiton “against Chuka” and one member demanded to know from the chief Momentum organiser: “What are you going to do about Umunna?”

http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2015/12/my-evening-with-mcdonnell-and-momentum-and-yes-its-all-about-deselections.html

A confirmation about all I have said about STW and Momentum right from the beginning. Labour is being eaten away from within.
    Corbynizing fascistitis.
    "A great Party, rotten from within, was defeated from without."
  • Options
    Can someone explain the Bell cartoon to me by the way ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As they say, if you have to explain the joke, it aint funny....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why does the USA keep driving cars ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

32,719 deaths so far this year.

Wait till you see India and China!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

As they say, if you have to explain the joke, it aint funny....
    Oh I know it's not funny, I'm just not sure what it's trying to point out.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Corbynizing fascistitis.

They seem to detest the Blairites more than the Tories.

Of course, to focus on the enemy within makes more sense ...... if you have no real belief in winning a general election.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Matthew Goodwin and Ian Warren attacking each other on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/672796623542476800
    Ian Warren: Mostly I feel vindicated for methodological reasons. Meth-o-do-logical reasons. I know it's a long word for the likes of Matt Goodwin to get his head around.
    http://elxn-data.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/be-yourself-on-your-best-day.html

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/672797292932415488

Wonder why Ian is having a meltdown.
  • Options

It reads like the sort of very angry drunken email I'd write at midnight to a work colleague, wake up at 3am having a panic attack... then feel exquisite relief as I discovered it in Drafts, rather than Sent Mail

isam said:

He only put up a bad bet... People do it all the time, I've done hundreds. Why be so touchy?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

isam said:

Wow, that post is so unprofessional.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    edited December 2015
    Andrew said:

Corbynizing fascistitis.

Of course, to focus on the enemy within makes more sense ...... if you have no real belief in winning a general election.
    The Left have had a history of always being at each other's throats.

Bolsheviks v. Mensheviks
    Stalinists v. Trotskyists
    Soviets v. China
    India having not one but TWO Communist parties
    Militant v. Kinnock
    Corbyn v. "Blairites"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,260

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Labour and Tory governments cut out the maintenance for many many years and voila.
  • Options
    I can't quite grasp his point either - it's a drive-by shooting of issues he feels irked about.
    RobD said:

isam said:

• Options
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

People jumped to the conclusions they wanted.

When I heard that these devout, pipe-bomb-making Saudi-Pakistani Muslim mass murderers with body armour and multiple ammunition caches also had clear links to jihadis - yesterday - I thought it was pretty fucking clear what conclusions we should reach. But the liberal-left media in America still kept pumping out their drivel about the NRA right up until five minutes ago.

Anyway, a horrible story. ISIS aren't going away. Bomb them or ignore them they are coming for us, which I suppose is why we have to bomb them.
    When do we start bombing California
  • Options
    edited December 2015

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

It was an April 1st story ... :)

Although it's hardly unknown for steelwork or precast concrete to arrive on site and be the wrong length.
  • Options
    Well done Mr Brind – once again your post reveals more about you than the subject.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    edited December 2015
    Andrew said:

Militant Momentum plan.
    1. Get rid of all the people who know how to win a general election.
    2. Win a general election.
    3. Marxist utopia.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Gun and bomb atrocities come from all parts of the political spectrum and from just plain disgruntled kids and adults. The NRA only makes it easier for them to get the means to kill more people.
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=oklahoma city bombing
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

If there's loads of cracks like that one in the picture, it's probably a better idea to throw every builder in Scotland at the new bridge, get that open then decide what to do with the old one.

From memory the busted Thelwall Viaduct we discussed earlier took two years to fix, and that's a very small bridge compared to this one.
    At least the glorious gateway to Lancashire is still there at 52 years old. (to be fair the first planning for the Forth Bridge started in 1947!)

Early box girder bridges had problems I think, but as I remember it was during construction that there was a failure.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Danny565 said:

A Tory government so "centrist" that it's been criticised by Norman Tebbit for being too cruel to the poor.
    Not centrist in one area doesn't mean it might not be centrist overall. Besides which, Lord Tebbit falls over himself finding things to criticise about anything Cameron might do. The government has certainly started out a bit poorly this time around, plenty to criticise, but Tebbit was obviously expecting and hoping the Cameroons would fail in May.
  • Options

Well done Mr Brind – once again your post reveals more about you than the subject.

Its Mr Blind more like ...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Although it's hardly unknown for steelwork or precast concrete to arrive on site and be the wrong length.
    So true. We see it all the time in the Middle East. They have to assemble steel beam structures at night and store them in air conditioned warehouses - otherwise they expand too much and don't fit!
  • Options
    "ITV apologises for Sir Lenny Henry gaffe"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35009530
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

At least the glorious gateway to Lancashire is still there at 52 years old. (to be fair the first planning for the Forth Bridge started in 1947!)

Early box girder bridges had problems I think, but as I remember it was during construction that there was a failure.
    Several deaths in failures, in Germany and at home. Including the famous image of the Cleddau Bridge failure over houses
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40134891@N02/3958241137/in/album-72157622464879280/
  • Options

SeanT said:

Gun and bomb atrocities come from all parts of the political spectrum and from just plain disgruntled kids and adults. The NRA only makes it easier for them to get the means to kill more people.
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=oklahoma city bombing

This pretty much sums it up ...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3368096/posts

• Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Plus the building industry is metric these days so if gaps are in millimetres they are shorter.
  • Options

"ITV apologises for Sir Lenny Henry gaffe"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35009530

Hahaha that's actually quite funny.

More amusing, in fact, than anything Lenny Henry has ever done in his entire career.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Corbynizing fascistitis.

Lets not act like this attitude doesn't go both ways. I mean, what's Blair's big initial triumph? Clause 4.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

My number was just as pulled out of my arse as the Guardian's random number generator.
    These numbers do not relate to real events.
    What is your issue with their data collection methodology?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I cannot verify the truth of the figures below, but if true, it's pretty amazing:
    https://twitter.com/ShadowMerlin/status/672820359087919105
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Labour and Tory governments cut out the maintenance for many many years and voila.
    The major anchor points have been inspected and are sound. The bridge does have a life. But that did not stop the billions being spent on the new bridge. If the current one is to be pulled down, is it wise to spend money keep it open for another 30 years?
  • Options
    Once you get past the swearing, there's a lot of good advice in there that I expect is being completely ignored.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2015
    O/T:

"75-year-old Balakrishnan explained how he could control world events as he believed in the existence of an "invisible “electronic satellite warfare machine” called Jackie, which he said was built by the Communist party of China and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army".

Balakrishnan asserts that he could control this invisible accomplice "Jackie" which he claims stands for “Jehovah, Allah, Christ, Krishna and Immortal Easwaran”. “It controls everything. In different ways, I could control it. “It has got unbelievable control. It can pull your head out from your body,” he said.

Besides claiming responsibility for the death of the 'Malaysian leader', Balakrishnan also said that "Jackie" was also instrumental in the election of Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader and the blowing up of the NASA space shuttle, Challenger, in 1986."

http://www.malaysiandigest.com/frontpage/29-4-tile/581654-cult-leader-says-he-killed-a-malaysian-leader-named-razak-using-a-mind-machine-called-jackie.html
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I cannot verify the truth of the figures below, but if true, it's pretty amazing:

That's clearly not right, because Alistair says there have been 17 billionty shootings since Christmas. The Guardian pulled a number out of their backside and that must be true. Or we are all racists or something. Billionty!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

When I heard that these devout, pipe-bomb-making Saudi-Pakistani Muslim mass murderers with body armour and multiple ammunition caches also had clear links to jihadis - yesterday - I thought it was pretty fucking clear what conclusions we should reach. But the liberal-left media in America still kept pumping out their drivel about the NRA right up until five minutes ago.

Anyway, a horrible story. ISIS aren't going away. Bomb them or ignore them they are coming for us, which I suppose is why we have to bomb them.
    Or Glasgow
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime_courts/13599915.Scots_terror_police_hunt_female_jihadi_nicknamed_Betty_Bomber/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Citation required.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

That's clearly not right, because Alistair says there have been 17 billionty shootings since Christmas. The Guardian pulled a number out of their backside and that must be true. Or we are all racists or something. Billionty!
    The figures I used are based on the definition of a mass shooting being 4 or more people injured/killed by non-law enforcement people shooting guns.

And if you think 4 people is too small to be considered 'mass' then that just shows how crazy normalised people being shot dead by criminals in America is.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182

-snip-

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Afternoon, all. JJ, do you think it might be that the lifetime might actually have been reached/surpassed [given the safety factor] if there have been more/heavier lorries than planned? More repetitive loading = fatigue. Or what might it be?

• Options
    :smiley:
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

"75-year-old Balakrishnan explained how he could control world events as he believed in the existence of an "invisible “electronic satellite warfare machine” called Jackie, which he said was built by the Communist party of China and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army".

Balakrishnan asserts that he could control this invisible accomplice "Jackie" which he claims stands for “Jehovah, Allah, Christ, Krishna and Immortal Easwaran”. “It controls everything. In different ways, I could control it. “It has got unbelievable control. It can pull your head out from your body,” he said.

Besides claiming responsibility for the death of the 'Malaysian leader', Balakrishnan also said that "Jackie" was also instrumental in the election of Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader and the blowing up of the NASA space shuttle, Challenger, in 1986."

http://www.malaysiandigest.com/frontpage/29-4-tile/581654-cult-leader-says-he-killed-a-malaysian-leader-named-razak-using-a-mind-machine-called-jackie.html

• Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

Well you have to admit, it explains a lot.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2015

I can't quite grasp his point either - it's a drive-by shooting of issues he feels irked about

RobD said:

isam said:

I suspect he had no sleep last night, what with the by election and all, and probably very little over the previous few nights. Then a few sherbets to celebrate the win. Never a good time to send a letter to the world, especially after building up a rep over the last few months. Still, made me chuckle.

EDIT: As the-poster-formerly-known-as-antifrank said, there is a lot of very sound advice hidden between the froth and swearing.
  • Options
    I've sampled some of the mass-shootings from the Guardian data set
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/oct/02/mass-shootings-america-gun-violence

And they all seem to match up with news reports of mass shootings in the local press at those locations and dates. Sometimes they are off by 1 or two victims - Guardian listed one as 2 dead 4 injured when the local news report had 1 dead and 5 injured. But I suppose one of the injured could have died later in hospital.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Several deaths in failures, in Germany and at home. Including the famous image of the Cleddau Bridge failure over houses
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40134891@N02/3958241137/in/album-72157622464879280/
    Thats what I remember. Gosh, fancy having that built over your house!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

The major anchor points have been inspected and are sound. The bridge does have a life. But that did not stop the billions being spent on the new bridge. If the current one is to be pulled down, is it wise to spend money keep it open for another 30 years?
    They are not planning to bring it down when the new one opens. It is still to be used for various purposes, ie public transport , cyclists and pedestrians.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

-snip-

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Afternoon, all. JJ, do you think it might be that the lifetime might actually have been reached/surpassed [given the safety factor] if there have been more/heavier lorries than planned? More repetitive loading = fatigue. Or what might it be?

They should have factored that in when heavier lorries were allowed. Since the Severn bridge is also having problems, though less severe, I guess there's something they haven't factored in. Perhaps it might even be the quality of the original steel - much less was known about steel even in the sixties, and quality control was harder.

But IANAE. Neither, it seems, are the bridge engineers ... :(
  • Options
    Dan's view http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/12033154/Oldham-by-election-Nigel-Farage-will-always-be-a-bridesmaid-never-a-bride.html
    There was a time when we thought Ukip’s destiny was to destroy the Conservative Party. Now it seems its historical function may simply be to get stuck in the throat of the Labour Party. Despite the exultant roar of the Corbynites this morning, Labour’s white working-class base is being gradually eroded. Some of that base will be lost to apathy. Some of it will be lost to an increasingly centrist Tory party. And yes come a general election, some of it will defect to Nigel Farage’s party.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited December 2015
    Just heard about those Tyson Fury comments. I hope he doesn't win SPOTY. Comparing homosexuality to paedophilia? Believing women's main function is to be in 'in the kitchen and on her back?' I don't envy any of the women unfortunate enough, to be in his life....

And LOL at the DM comments' section. It makes me thankful the internet isn't always representative of public opinion.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I can't quite grasp his point either - it's a drive-by shooting of issues he feels irked about

RobD said:

isam said:

I suspect he had no sleep last night, what with the by election and all, and probably very little over the previous few nights. Then a few sherbets to celebrate the win. Never a good time to send a letter to the world, especially after building up a rep over the last few months. Still, made me chuckle.
    I think you've got his mood all wrong. He appears to have quit the Labour party this week. This is despairing, not ecstatic.

I seem to be in a minority of one in finding it informative and full of good sense. Oh well.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

They are not planning to bring it down when the new one opens. It is still to be used for various purposes, ie public transport , cyclists and pedestrians.
    That's the plan AIUI. But the maintenance costs of the bridge are enormous, and problems like this will just add to the inspection regime and associated costs.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was taken down within ten years of the new bridge opening next year. As I mentioned earlier, God knows how they'd dismantle it. I'm not sure demolishing a suspension bridge that size has ever been done before.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Anorak said:

RobD said:

isam said:

I think you've got his mood all wrong. He appears to have quit the Labour party this week. This is despairing, not ecstatic.

I seem to be in a minority of one in finding it informative and full of good sense. Oh well.
    I added an addendum to my post while you were typing that. Paraphrased, it says: I agree with Mr Meeks :D
  • Options

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Or Glasgow
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime_courts/13599915.Scots_terror_police_hunt_female_jihadi_nicknamed_Betty_Bomber/
    London and various others, where do we stop. not one attack from Syria so we decide to bomb the crap out of it , multiple attacks in UK etc and we twiddle our thumbs. Some messed up thinking going on by the glory boys.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182
    edited December 2015

Carnyx said:

-snip-

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

They should have factored that in when heavier lorries were allowed. Since the Severn bridge is also having problems, though less severe, I guess there's something they haven't factored in. Perhaps it might even be the quality of the original steel - much less was known about steel even in the sixties, and quality control was harder.

But IANAE. Neither, it seems, are the bridge engineers ... :(
    Ooh, unkind! But thanks - I was wondering if there was something more obvious (!) than the crack that the media weren't informed enough to comment about.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

Wanderer said:

Not sure that the leak of the remark was intentional but it was certainly effective. Labour seem unable to stop talking about it.

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if Corbyn and McDonnell were not, in fact, terrorist sympathisers.

Indeed - this is the problem. Corbyn is an apologist for terrorism. And he chooses to surround himself with similar people. The kind who supported the IRA's right to bomb its way to a united Ireland, who believe that the 7/7 bombers heroically gave their lives in protest at the Iraq war and who state that Mao did more good than harm in killing tens of millions of Chinese people. He is very close to Stop the War, an organisation that has openly advocated the killing of British soldiers, and he has routinely shared platforms with bigots who support the subjugation of women and the execution of homosexuals. It's all there in black and white.

You forget his advocacy on behalf of an anti-Semite (who repeats the medieval blood libel), arguing that he should be let into Britain, that what he has to say should be heard and that he looked forward to inviting him to Parliament.

• Options

Anorak said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Some of its v informative, but he sounds like a right dick

Wish he had never commented on this election, I'd have cleaned up!
  • Options

Just heard about those Tyson Fury comments. I hope he doesn't win SPOTY. Comparing homosexuality to paedophilia? Believing women's main function is to be in 'in the kitchen and on her back?' I don't envy any of the women unfortunate enough, to be in his life....

What a character. I think I'll be rooting for good old boring Dr Steelhammer if he gets a rematch.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

That's the plan AIUI. But the maintenance costs of the bridge are enormous, and problems like this will just add to the inspection regime and associated costs.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was taken down within ten years of the new bridge opening next year. As I mentioned earlier, God knows how they'd dismantle it. I'm not sure demolishing a suspension bridge that size has ever been done before.
    Old Victorian rail bridge near my home town had to have 3 attempts at dynamiting it before it was felled.

Had to be brought down because it was unsafe!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Police put recording devices in the cars of Terry Perkins and John Collins after the Easter weekend raid.

Perkins is heard bragging that officers "can't work out" the crime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35009032

Sounds like the plod were on to them very quickly. These lot are hardly the Pink Panthers.
  • Options
    Try this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/12033864/Terrifying-glass-bottomed-bridge-in-China-will-give-you-feelings-of-vertigo.html

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Thats what I remember. Gosh, fancy having that built over your house!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Wanderer said:

Not sure that the leak of the remark was intentional but it was certainly effective. Labour seem unable to stop talking about it.

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if Corbyn and McDonnell were not, in fact, terrorist sympathisers.

Indeed - this is the problem. Corbyn is an apologist for terrorism. And he chooses to surround himself with similar people. The kind who supported the IRA's right to bomb its way to a united Ireland, who believe that the 7/7 bombers heroically gave their lives in protest at the Iraq war and who state that Mao did more good than harm in killing tens of millions of Chinese people. He is very close to Stop the War, an organisation that has openly advocated the killing of British soldiers, and he has routinely shared platforms with bigots who support the subjugation of women and the execution of homosexuals. It's all there in black and white.

You forget his advocacy on behalf of an anti-Semite (who repeats the medieval blood libel), arguing that he should be let into Britain, that what he has to say should be heard and that he looked forward to inviting him to Parliament.

It's ironic - and 100% predictable - that there's a very large overlap between Corbynites and those throwing a fit over Tyson Fury's [admittedly dated and crass] comments.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Anorak said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Between the rambling and swearing there was quite a lot of useful information in there.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It looks too complicated -- the consensus seems to be that they were planning a different terrorist outrage but instead went postal after some sort of row at work.
  • Options

Once you get past the swearing, there's a lot of good advice in there that I expect is being completely ignored.
    Which he must have known and therefore presumably doesn't care all that much about people actually paying attention to the points.

Yeah that's right - I just did it to you. I called you a f---king nutjob - how does it feel? Not great, right? So you'll probably not read any more, it won't much matter what else I say. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO UKIP VOTERS BY CALLING THEM RACISTS YOU KNOB-SCRATCH

I get the point, and a little vulgarity can be appropriate to make the point more effectively. But that much it just looks like the ramblings of someone going through a breakdown of some kind and loses most of its efficacy. Since he references what happens when people get attacked so vulgarily, and made that tone the centrepiece of the piece, I can only assume it was written for his own benefit, not caring how it was received or its points taken in.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What a character. I think I'll be rooting for good old boring Dr Steelhammer if he gets a rematch.
    I had to google 'Dr Steelhammer' to know who you were talking about. I have to say, I'm not a big fan of boxing and have only heard of Wladimir Klitschko because he's married to Hayden Panettiere.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    kle4 said:

I get the point, and a little vulgarity can be appropriate to make the point more effectively. But that much it just looks like the ramblings of someone going through a breakdown of some kind and loses most of its efficacy.

In particular that sentence where he drops the F-bomb about four times in just as many words. Really is unbecoming.
This discussion has been closed.