Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Echoes of History: Hilary Benn and Michael Foot

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Echoes of History: Hilary Benn and Michael Foot

How to draw the sting from Hilary Benn’s brilliant wind-up speech in the Commons debate on Syria air strikes? That was the problem facing Labour and SNP opponents of the military action who were on the wrong end of the 179 majority.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    edited December 2015
    Thirst?

As Mr Meeks keeps on saying (*), any MP who wants to take over from Corbyn has to talk to, and appeal to, the members. Not many of the centrists appear to be trying to do so.

On the other hand, the 'members' are not appearing particularly conciliatory towards centrist MPs (or even centrist members)

(*) I think that's right.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    Fury

(in the Joshua fight 18 months down the line)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

isam said:

Whoever would have thought when UKIP got 3% in OW&R 5 years ago that not winning a by election there in 2015 would have meant it was all up for them?

Yep,it will take time,just like it did for the SNP.

The difference is that the SNP cultivated a USP of "we look after Scotland" which worked for Scottish voters.

The UKIP put a more polite Middle Class shine on the BNPs "we are angry white men" which attracts a certain amount of protest votes but is not a USP for a party of office. Especially under FPTP.

Last night the polite veneer slipped once more though
    You do realise if UKIP fades into obscurity all those "angry white men" will return in large numbers to the Tories and retoxify them?
    Since a lot of them have gone from Labour to BNP to UKIP I'm not convinced they'd all return to the Tories.

Seriously why do people still promote this myth that UKIP voters are all ex Blues?
    Please confirm where I said that UKIP voters are all ex Blues?

If you re-read my post I said "large numbers". Since when does a large number equal all?
  • Options
    Well written article Mr Brind. I agree completely - it was shameless, it was true and it was successful.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    edited December 2015
    "Comrades, this is your Captain. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our Party's most recent by-election achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party! For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations. Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our Progressiveness. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

"Comrades, our own Parliamentary Party don't know our full potential! They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our MPs behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their chortling and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Syria debates! Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the... Comradeship.

"A great day, Comrades. We sail into history!"

• Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

Whoever would have thought when UKIP got 3% in OW&R 5 years ago that not winning a by election there in 2015 would have meant it was all up for them?

The difference is that the SNP cultivated a USP of "we look after Scotland" which worked for Scottish voters.

The UKIP put a more polite Middle Class shine on the BNPs "we are angry white men" which attracts a certain amount of protest votes but is not a USP for a party of office. Especially under FPTP.

You do realise if UKIP fades into obscurity all those "angry white men" will return in large numbers to the Tories and retoxify them?
    Since a lot of them have gone from Labour to BNP to UKIP I'm not convinced they'd all return to the Tories.

Seriously why do people still promote this myth that UKIP voters are all ex Blues?

If you re-read my post I said "large numbers". Since when does a large number equal all?
    You did say "all those ..." I apologise if I misunderstood your message. I agree that UKIP have helped detox the Tories but if we get retoxified it is likely to be due to our actions in government rather than the fading of UKIP.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    TOPPING said:

Fury

You think Fury will win when they fight ?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    What an embarrassing article
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Fury

Furys for Corbyn? :lol:
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Why? This is the first of Mr Brind's articles I thought didn't read like a Party Election Broadcast by the Labour Party. That's progress at least.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

You did say "all those ..." I apologise if I misunderstood your message. I agree that UKIP have helped detox the Tories but if we get retoxified it is likely to be due to our actions in government rather than the fading of UKIP.
    Maybe the billboards with illegal immigrants 'Go home' was attempt to get the angry white men back ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Oh dear - another PPB. Why should Cameron be embarrassed? Your current leader and SCOE are terrorist sympathisers and no-one is naive enough to think you don't know it. Get over yourself.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Good article.

Would have been interesting to see a by-election yesterday down the East/NE coast with a slightly different working class demographic.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

Maybe the billboards with illegal immigrants 'Go home' was attempt to get the angry white men back ?
    That was disgraceful I agree. Glad it got pulled. May seems to be on a unilateral mission to get the nasty party tag back. I wouldn't mind seeing her sacked.
  • Options
    I thought I was reading Foot's very good speech on the Falklands - but then realisd I was looking at Thatcher's.

Foot's contains more verbal parantheses than a PB.com argument.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Not sure that the leak of the remark was intentional but it was certainly effective. Labour seem unable to stop talking about it.

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if Corbyn and McDonnell were not, in fact, terrorist sympathisers.
  • Options
    felix said:

Oh dear - another PPB. Why should Cameron be embarrassed? Your current leader and SCOE are terrorist sympathisers and no-one is naive enough to think you don't know it. Get over yourself.

Where did he say he should be? He said anyone who thinks he is, is being naive. That's right.

The only thing embarrassing is he should have said terrorist supporter.
  • Options
    FPT
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Who would have thought the Lib Dems would come within 300 votes of saving their deposit ?

#Amazing

Keeping up their reputation of the Lost Deposit party?
    LibDems have now lost 12 deposits from the last 20 Great Britain Westminster by-elections.
    And 350ish in May alone.

The cupboard must be very bare by now. If there was a snap election, they would surely struggle to stand in every seat.
    No the deposit is a tiny fraction of the costs of running candidates. If the Lib Dems ever reach the stage of failing to stand candidates it won't be due to deposits alone.
    How much does a 20,000 leaflet run cost ?

Labour is surely free - local councillor and activists should be doing that.
    How many Councillors have the Lib Dems lost over the last 5 years? That I imagine hurts a lot more than the lost deposits.
  • Options
    It's a curious, but hardly surprising, argument to claim that "Margaret Thatcher was shameless in exploiting the eventual success of the Falklands task force", as though somehow success were a bad thing. Wasn't it rather more shameless - or perhaps 'disgusting' or 'vile' would be a more accurate description - for Kinnock and Healey to have made the remarks which Don quotes?

The insinuation is that Cameron is some of warmonger, making partisan calculation on matters of life and death, which is unmitigated, 100%, grade-A garbage. Or, if he is, so is Obama. And so is François Hollande.

Heaven preserve us from Labour, if they think like that. Sensible people will understand wanting to damage, and eventually destroy, ISIS is not only justified in self-defence, but the only moral course of action. That of course doesn't automatically make the specific policy of changing the rules of engagement to include ISIS-held territory in Syria the right thing to do, but it does automatically make it a moral thing to do for those who reasonably believe it is, on balance, likely to help.

Those who don't believe that should propose some alternative, and one less fatuous than 'negotiate a comprehensive political settlement in Syria'. In particular, I cannot myself see any logic whatsoever in opposing the UK's involvment in ISIS-held Syria, whilst supporting it in Iraq, and supporting the policy of the French, and supporting the UN resolution, which seems to be the position of many of those who opposed this week's government motion.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    It's touched quite a nerve. I suspect it's the aggregate emotional response of Corbyn's GSTQ, don't shoot et al.
    Wanderer said:

Not sure that the leak of the remark was intentional but it was certainly effective. Labour seem unable to stop talking about it.

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if Corbyn and McDonnell were not, in fact, terrorist sympathisers.

• Options
    Wanderer said:

Indeed - this is the problem. Corbyn is an apologist for terrorism. And he chooses to surround himself with similar people. The kind who supported the IRA's right to bomb its way to a united Ireland, who believe that the 7/7 bombers heroically gave their lives in protest at the Iraq war and who state that Mao did more good than harm in killing tens of millions of Chinese people. He is very close to Stop the War, an organisation that has openly advocated the killing of British soldiers, and he has routinely shared platforms with bigots who support the subjugation of women and the execution of homosexuals. It's all there in black and white.

• Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

That was disgraceful I agree. Glad it got pulled. May seems to be on a unilateral mission to get the nasty party tag back. I wouldn't mind seeing her sacked.
    I don't see what is wrong about asking people to desist from committing a crime.
  • Options

felix said:

Where did he say he should be? He said anyone who thinks he is, is being naive. That's right.

He implied it and then with extraordinary lack of self-awareness gleefully quotes the vile Kinnock quote! The article is an embarrassment.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    On the specific 'terrorist sympathisers' remark of Cameron, I very much doubt that it was calculated or intended to be leaked. It would be much more in keeping with Cameron's style for it to be an unscripted remark caused by frustration.

Of course that doesn't make it any less accurate, and as it happens the furore won't have done any long-term harm. In fact, it won't have made any difference, because irrespective of anything Cameron says, an appreciation of what people like Corbyn, McDonnell, Livingstone, and Seamas Milne believe will slowly and inevitably seep into the consciousness of voters. We're only part-way there so far, of course.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Fury

no I think he will come second...like my post...!
  • Options
    I agree with much of this. The Prime Minister can act for reasons of principle and low calculation at the same time. He will be happy to have the authority to launch attacks on ISIS in Syria and he will be happy to have catalysed more feuding within Labour. Call it a happy coincidence.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    I'm not sure saying what he did was successful, although it was certainly intentional (putting me onthe opposite side of Wanderer). It seemed needless given the confusion in the labour ranks that was already there.

I don't really have the same level of offense about it Labour showed and Don obviously shares with them (unsurprisingly, being a Labour man). It's politics. Right or left, people slander by inference (even though Corbyn and McDonnell have made comments seeming to support terrorists, appearing to conflate anyone else who opposed action as doing the same, though that has since been stated not to have been the point, would be such a slander) all the time, and I don't see much point in getting angry about it whichever side does it, though it should be called out when it happens. But it doesn't make Cameron or Thatcher or whoever, any more shameless or nakedly partisan than any other PM who has misrepresented, or appeared to misrepresent, an opponent, or suggested, lightly or otherwise, that their opponents were not just wrong, but morally wrong in some fashion.

Show me a government or opposition that doesn't engage in such behaviour - it's political behaviour, not partisan behaviour, so as long as it is kept in perspective while being criticised (that is to say, not pretending it is unusual for any political leader in government or opposition to be sh*tty to their opponents), calling it out is fine, without getting carried away.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    Mr Cameron's words about 'Terrorist Sympathisers' were not about anyone who voted against the motion, they were about two or three very senior members of the shadow front bench who have been showing sympathy for terrorists for the past 30 years. Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell, Diane Abbot, Ken Livingstone and probably a few more.

Maybe the PM chose the wrong words, but the fact that a big story to come from the debate was that Labour were denying being terrorist sympathisers only gave legs to the idea. The Corbynite tendency really don't like it when someone calls them out for who they really are.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

You could be talking about your next leader,what to do then,join the defunct lib Dems ?
  • Options

Thirst?

As Mr Meeks keeps on saying (*), any MP who wants to take over from Corbyn has to talk to, and appeal to, the members. Not many of the centrists appear to be trying to do so.

On the other hand, the 'members' are not appearing particularly conciliatory towards centrist MPs (or even centrist members)

Yes, that is my view. Hilary Benn's speech was the first since the general election to try to make a positive case for Labour to go in a direction other than that proposed by Jeremy Corbyn. It remains to be seen whether others will pick up the baton.
  • Options

felix said:

he is unembarrassable, as the pig proves.

• Options
    Off-topic:

The BBC have a piccie of one of the cracks in the Firth Bridge:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35001277

Difficult ...
  • Options
    It'd be nice to read an article that doesn't mention Fatcher...
  • Options

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Forth Bridge
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Mr Cameron's words about 'Terrorist Sympathisers' were not about anyone who voted against the motion, they were about two or three very senior members of the shadow front bench who have been showing sympathy for terrorists for the past 30 years. Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell, Diane Abbot, Ken Livingstone and probably a few more.

Maybe the PM chose the wrong words, but the fact that a big story to come from the debate was that Labour were denying being terrorist sympathisers only gave legs to the idea. The Corbynite tendency really don't like it when someone calls them out for who they really are.

Hilary Benn's speech dealt with the "terrorist sympathiser" jibe in the correct way. Alot of the assorted Labour ranks missed the woods for the trees with their responses.
  • Options

and one less fatuous than 'negotiate a comprehensive political settlement in Syria'. In particular, I cannot myself see any logic whatsoever in opposing the UK's involvment in ISIS-held Syria, whilst supporting it in Iraq, and supporting the policy of the French, and supporting the UN resolution, which seems to be the position of many of those who opposed this week's government motion.

I more or less agree with you about being against syria but pro iraq bombing. On the other hand, bombing because we don't have any other ideas is equally fatuous, is it not?
  • Options

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Forth Bridge
    Ahem. :)
  • Options
    We can be sure the nakedly partisan Prime Minister had a chuckle at that one.

You write that as though its a bad thing.......

Meanwhile, Corbyn has shared a train with Osborne to Manchester to spend all of 2 minutes and 6 seconds in public with his new MP......
  • Options

and one less fatuous than 'negotiate a comprehensive political settlement in Syria'. In particular, I cannot myself see any logic whatsoever in opposing the UK's involvment in ISIS-held Syria, whilst supporting it in Iraq, and supporting the policy of the French, and supporting the UN resolution, which seems to be the position of many of those who opposed this week's government motion.

I more or less agree with you about being against syria but pro iraq bombing. On the other hand, bombing because we don't have any other ideas is equally fatuous, is it not?
    That is Alex Salmond's (And Diane Abbot (I think)) position. It makes zero sense, Damascus/Assad has even begrudgingly accepted NATO acting on their territory. Maajid Nawaz showed Caroline Lucas and the Abbot up on Question Time.
  • Options

She is to go to figure for the terminally lacking in imagination on the left and right. Whenever I see a piece on the Telegraph about 'Mrs Thatcher would/wouldn't have done X' I don't even bother reading them anymore.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

You could be talking about your next leader,what to do then,join the defunct lib Dems ?
    I joined the party because I was embarrassed by IDS and wanted a say in the next leader. I will not be voting May if she is in the run off and if she wins I will hope the next leader is better or she tacks to the centre. She used to be better.
  • Options

It's not bombing 'because we don't have any other ideas'. It's bombing because that's the most effective available way of stopping ISIS from sweeping up yet more territory, of helping their opponents (notably the Kurds) to regain territory, and to disrupt their oil sales, their planning of atrocities, and their real-life-video-nasty production units.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Ouch! That doesn't look like it will be fixed with a mig welder, I wonder how quickly they can speed up work to get at least some of the new bridge open more quickly than planned?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,173
    Sandpit said:
    Doh. That was the point!
  • Options
    Me neither.
    kle4 said:

She is to go to figure for the terminally lacking in imagination on the left and right. Whenever I see a piece on the Telegraph about 'Mrs Thatcher would/wouldn't have done X' I don't even bother reading them anymore.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2015
    Sandpit said:
    I'll admit, It wasn't until I got to the "Artists Impression" that my bullshit detector fully twigged.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Re Oldham West.
    Miliband obtained a higher Con-Lab swing in eight by-elections 2010-2015, including the first of that parliament, Oldham East...
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

I joined the party because I was embarrassed by IDS and wanted a say in the next leader. I will not be voting May if she is in the run off and if she wins I will hope the next leader is better or she tacks to the centre. She used to be better.
    Is controlled immigration in the centre ground of your political views ?
  • Options

It's not bombing 'because we don't have any other ideas'. It's bombing because that's the most effective available way of stopping ISIS from sweeping up yet more territory, of helping their opponents (notably the Kurds) to regain territory, and to disrupt their oil sales, their planning of atrocities, and their real-life-video-nasty production units.
    I hope you are right, but am unconvinced. Anyway, goodnight.
  • Options
    Apparently not.
  • Options
    Bombing the oil fields will lead to minimal civilian casualties (I mean if you're working on a Da'esh oilfield, you're hardly "innocent" in the women and children sense of the term), and is the best method to disrupt their funding - which is what the assorted STW/green groups want !

Raqqa itself of course will be a much tougher problem, but we could restrict ourselves to the Deir Al'ziz oilfield and be more effective than we otherwise would have been doing nothing (The alternate position).

Tactical support for the kurds is something else we can do that is politically "easy".

Blowing the snot out of oil I'd suggest is alot more effective than trying to locate and stop the money trails resulting from Da'esh oil. An almost impossible task seeing as the oil is being bought by every Mohamed, Shayan and even Jacob in the region wanting to make a fast buck.
  • Options
    I was delighted to read we hit a video nasty specialist team the other night. Took 6 of them out.

• Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Must disagree with the article.

Corbyn has been pictured cheerfully standing by a poster of Lenin. McDonnell read from the little red book at the dispatch box. Abbott has claimed Mao did more good than bad. Livingstone has said Blair's foreign policy absolved the 7/7 bombers of their crime.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That is Alex Salmond's (And Diane Abbot (I think)) position. It makes zero sense, Damascus/Assad has even begrudgingly accepted NATO acting on their territory. Maajid Nawaz showed Caroline Lucas and the Abbot up on Question Time.
    Ooh, reminder to watch, thanks. Back in an hour or so.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Jezza, John & Diane are really going to be the only Lab talking heads, she definitely should take some lessons in deportment. When backed into the corner and forced to admit her contradictory position Iraq vs Syria bombing she sulked like a 4-yr old.

Also Caroline effing Lucas telling Nawaz all about the middle east. Dear God.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I hope you are right, but am unconvinced. Anyway, goodnight.

To be clear, I hope I'm right too, no-one sensible thinks this is a no-brainer, and of course reasonable men and women, looking at the same facts, may come to different conclusions as to the weight to give the pros and cons.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I would agree with all that. May has her qualities but I do not see her leading the Tory Party and as you say, invoking an imaginary opinion from someone who is dead is the last but one refuge of a scoundrel.
  • Options
    "We can be sure the nakedly partisan Prime Minister had a chuckle at that one [Steve Bell cartoon]"

Unlikely. I've regularly taken more chuckles from a single Matt cartoon than from a lifetime of Steve Bell ones.
  • Options
    There seems to be a big overlap between Labour's "core vote" and its postal votes.
    Maybe that's true of other parties too now that postal voting is so easily available. A few years ago I asked for a postal vote out of necessity, and subsequently I have been sent reminders enabling me to reactivate it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blowing the snot out of oil I'd suggest is alot more effective than trying to locate and stop the money trails resulting from Da'esh oil. An almost impossible task seeing as the oil is being bought by every Mohamed, Shayan and even Jacob in the region wanting to make a fast buck.

The trucks carting the stuff across the desert must be pretty easy to identify as well. Ditto supply trucks for ISIS fighters - they've got long supply lines.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    Regarding Netflix (from previous thread):

They don't actually use AWS very much. The vast bulk of streaming comes from boxes that sit actually at ISPs, usually in local cable offices or close to DSLAMs. They have a box stuffed with Hard Disk Drives that contain tens of terabytes of TVs and movies. Thus, the video streams just have to travel (mostly) the end of your DSL line or cable connection. Netflix pays the cable and telecoms companies "rent" so they can put the boxes in their buildings. When they push out a new series (say the utterly outstanding Jessica Jones) they simply have one connection from their central servers (probably on AWS) to the local cable or telco office.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Plus the wingnuts behind Corbyn (STW etc) fall over themselves to apologise for terror. The remark is unfortunately true.
    I find it very ummm, 'sad' to see tories following Corbyn into the No lobby on this - Corbyn himself being pushed in there by the likes of Ken Livingstone.
  • Options

"We can be sure the nakedly partisan Prime Minister had a chuckle at that one [Steve Bell cartoon]"

Unlikely. I've regularly taken more chuckles from a single Matt cartoon than from a lifetime of Steve Bell ones.

Has there ever been a funny Steve Bell cartoon?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Re Oldham West.
    Miliband obtained a higher Con-Lab swing in eight by-elections 2010-2015, including the first of that parliament, Oldham East...

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/596440081554014209
  • Options
    In a contest, I'd be hard pushed to choose between Scarfe and Bell for unfunny, aggressive sneering. Brookes is very clever and my favourite. Matt is almost always a smile raiser.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

A brick in the face is more amusing than a Steve Bell cartoon.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bombing the oil fields will lead to minimal civilian casualties (I mean if you're working on a Da'esh oilfield, you're hardly "innocent" in the women and children sense of the term), and is the best method to disrupt their funding - which is what the assorted STW/green groups want !

Raqqa itself of course will be a much tougher problem, but we could restrict ourselves to the Deir Al'ziz oilfield and be more effective than we otherwise would have been doing nothing (The alternate position).

Tactical support for the kurds is something else we can do that is politically "easy".

Yep. It should be known that if you are driving a tanker, working in a refinery, or maintaining a pipeline within ISIS territory then you are fair game.

If it's oil, and it's in their territory, it should be a target.

But tackling their income is only part of the problem. If you look at what they did to Tikrit, taking any other city is going to be very painful for the attacking forces. It's believed ISIS left between five and ten thousand IEDs in the city, with buildings wired to blow.

And the make-up of the force that took the city shows how we will have to work with a range of groups:
    The battle pitted a combined force of approximately 30,000 Iraqi soldiers consisting of approximately 1,000 to 3,000 fighters from assorted local Sunni militias, roughly 3,000 to 4,000 men from the Iraqi army and about 20,000 members of various Shiite paramilitary militias.
    In addition, 40 officers from the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' Quds Force, including Quds Force General Qasem Soleimani, were on the scene to direct the fighting.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joseph-v-micallef/lessons-from-the-second-b_b_7049430.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    "the willingness of Tory leaders to use national military endeavours to their own advantage"

Or, looking down the other end of the telescope, the unwillingness of Labour's leaders to support national military endeavours even though it is to their own disadvantage. They can't bring themselves to support our armed forces even when they are being used to fight ISIL, an entity that would otherwise embody everything the Left despises. If only they weren't Muslims, eh? In their great book of excuses, is there anything that the Corbynistas will call out homophobic misogynistic religious-intolerant inhuman psychopath scum for, if they also happen to be Muslims?
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

I hope people will stop complaining about illegal immigrants then. Illegal immigrants, the very name should be a clue, should not be here. If not here - where? And if somewhere else - how? It may well be a sad issue bit if we want to avoid it then welcome to the problem...
  • Options
    Steve Bell and Mac are both desperately unfunny.

Matt is brilliant.
  • Options
    On topic, the problem for Labour is that Corbyn and McDonnell do have form in sympathising with and consorting with terrorists and bloody revolutionaries, and there are plenty of journalists who'll run stories detailing them. Foot, for all that he was of Labour's soft left, nonetheless was clear about where a state's rights and duties to protect its citizens lay. The comparison with (Hilary) Benn is well-made.

However, it's also worth remembering that Foot won in 1980 in no small part because Callaghan pre-empted the change to the leadership election rules. Corbyn, by contrast, was elected after - and perhaps because of - the rule change (yes, in the end the party membership backed him too but I wonder if that would have been the case had not the three-quidders started the ball rolling). Even if Corbyn is forced out, Benn is still stuck with having to negotiate the same electorate.
  • Options
    Quite.

"the willingness of Tory leaders to use national military endeavours to their own advantage"

Or, looking down the other end of the telescope, the unwillingness of Labour's leaders to support national military endeavours even though it is to their own disadvantage. They can't bring themselves to support our armed forces even when they are being used to fight ISIL, an entity that would otherwise embody everything the Left despises. If only they weren't Muslims, eh? In their great book of excuses, is there anything that the Corbynistas will call out homophobic misogynistic religious-intolerant inhuman psychopath scum for, if they also happen to be Muslims?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Ouch! That doesn't look like it will be fixed with a mig welder, I wonder how quickly they can speed up work to get at least some of the new bridge open more quickly than planned?
    More worryingly, this was apparently a member that was not thought at risk of failure, and they have found defects in other members. This means that their assumptions and calculations of the forces in the structure may be well off for some reason.

There has to be a small chance it will never fully reopen, even with weight limits.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Must disagree with the article.

Corbyn has been pictured cheerfully standing by a poster of Lenin. McDonnell read from the little red book at the dispatch box. Abbott has claimed Mao did more good than bad. Livingstone has said Blair's foreign policy absolved the 7/7 bombers of their crime.

Indeed - the whole article is odd given that Labour had a good win today in Oldham. anyone might think Mr Brind wasn't delighted that the win has cemented Comrade Corbyn as leader.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

No.
  • Options
    Three-quidders, @david_herdson, " Even if Corbyn is forced out, Benn is still stuck with having to negotiate the same electorate."
    Only if they keep up their subscription after the special introductory offer.
  • Options

Thirst?

Its called a dichotomy.
    A lovely word for a lovely problem
    ''division into two mutually exclusive, opposed, or contradictory groups''
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Three-quidders, @david_herdson, " Even if Corbyn is forced out, Benn is still stuck with having to negotiate the same electorate."

£3 to keep a traitor red tory from the leadership?? Do the math.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Delirious ranting about the 'ground war'. Sounds familiar. It couldn't be, could it?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    runnymede said:

Very grateful that you read it and can provide us with feedback.
    I gave Brind a few fair goes at the beginning but I just can't be arsed looking any more.
  • Options
    I'd like to congratulate Mr Brind on this piece - I don't agree with the outrage at the remark that is its core, but as some on the right didn't agree with the politics of the comment (even if they agree Corbyn and co, if not the rest, are terrorist sympathisers), a less divisive response than usual! And though I dislike partisan thinking (not that I fool myself into thinking I manage to avoid it entirely myself, to err is human after all), it's useful for the unvarnished partisan view to be apparent.
  • Options

Brant the Physical Cartoonist was as to Gillray in comparison.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

While the left have hold of the NEC and leadership, neither the rule nor the fee will be changing.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

felix said:

he is unembarrassable, as the pig proves.

Hear Hear
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    geoffw said:

True. I'm not keeping mine going, obviously.
    Why would I? Job jobbed already.
  • Options
    ...Labour doesn't have a post-industrial settlement for communities like Oldham don't be surprised when George fucking Osborne finds one.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

More worryingly, this was apparently a member that was not thought at risk of failure, and they have found defects in other members. This means that their assumptions and calculations of the forces in the structure may be well off for some reason.

There has to be a small chance it will never fully reopen, even with weight limits.
    Big jessies , a steel plate and a handful of bolts and it will be tickety-boo
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Difficult ...

Piddling little crack!! Whats the world coming to? Put yer foot down and get over it quicker!

I must say I thought there was a second bridge open by now but its a year away. The article suggests its going to replace the original; I know its 50 years old but it ought to last longer than that surely.
  • Options

geoffw said:

While the left have hold of the NEC and leadership, neither the rule nor the fee will be changing.
    Jim McMahon's replacement on the NEC will be interesting. I expect as an MP he will be a "local champion", he actually IS in fairness but fall into line with Corbyn on votes and stuff. He's young and has a safe enough seat to play for the Labour leadership around 2030 or so, he will be in no rush - it is a net gain for the left for now.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited December 2015
    Sean_F said:

A brick in the face is more amusing than a Steve Bell cartoon.
    And is the source of much Tom & Jerry merriment. Oh, you mean one's own face. Probably true as well.
  • Options
    It's worth remembering that centrist, Liz Kendall supporting Mr McMahon was chosen by people who had to have been Labour members for a minimum of six months. That is, his selectorate were from the pre-Corbyn surge. I wonder if he would get the nod now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Regarding Netflix (from previous thread):

They don't actually use AWS very much. The vast bulk of streaming comes from boxes that sit actually at ISPs, usually in local cable offices or close to DSLAMs. They have a box stuffed with Hard Disk Drives that contain tens of terabytes of TVs and movies. Thus, the video streams just have to travel (mostly) the end of your DSL line or cable connection. Netflix pays the cable and telecoms companies "rent" so they can put the boxes in their buildings. When they push out a new series (say the utterly outstanding Jessica Jones) they simply have one connection from their central servers (probably on AWS) to the local cable or telco office.

You are right. I didn't know Netflix had moved to their own CDN in the past 2-3 years.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Perhaps so, but then Labour has become a rabble with no role for serious politicians.
  • Options
    California shooter 'pledged allegiance to IS'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35006404
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It's worth remembering that centrist, Liz Kendall supporting Mr McMahon was chosen by people who had to have been Labour members for a minimum of six months. That is, his selectorate were from the pre-Corbyn surge. I wonder if he would get the nod now.

No chance.
  • Options
    My evening with McDonnell and Momentum – and yes, it’s all about deselections

Momentum members shared leaflets calling for “a vote of no confidence in Chuka Umunna”, activists sought signatures for a petiton “against Chuka” and one member demanded to know from the chief Momentum organiser: “What are you going to do about Umunna?”

http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2015/12/my-evening-with-mcdonnell-and-momentum-and-yes-its-all-about-deselections.html
This discussion has been closed.